A delicious flake with dark Virginia, black Cavendish and Syrian Latakia.

BrandSolani

3.1
zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

763 White and Black smokes like a sweet Virginia. I don't taste the Syrian and my knowledge of Cavendish is too limited to describe its influence on the blend. It's tasty, and has a bit of that Turkish spice, though there isn't any in here (aside from the Latakia), I feel a tingle in my nose.

I picked this blend up mistakenly believing it was an English--the tin note proclaiming, "English Black Flake with Latakia." This is no English. Not even close. In the tin you'll see dark, broken flakes, in the same kind of presentation as a McClelland Virginia.

The tin itself is beautiful, a lovely glistening silver metal attractively paired with white and black graphics depicting ancient lizard people of some sort, reminiscent of Maurice Sendak's wonderful children's tale, "Where the Wild Things Are."

I've noted the inconsistent reviews, but I can't fault this blend for anything. The body is medium, sugary, and a bit tangy. Wine and berries, some have mentioned--perhaps. Bottom of the bowl intensifies in taste and strength, culminating in a spicy, incense like dance. A popular celebration, probably not, but a sleeper, sure.

Four of Five

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

If you like Dunhill mixtures you will like this also, it's on the same side of Latakia concentration. Smell nice, tastes nice,smokes nice so I highly recommend it.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is perhaps one of the most pleasant smoking tobaccos I have ever tried. Not a huge nicotine hit, nor is it a heavy weight in body. But, the flavor is just amazing.

This is a sipper for sure. The nuance you get from a just smoldering bowl is nirvana. Sweet and spicey all at the same time. The syrian latakia in this is the key. God I miss that weed in the USA. If only our blenders could get their hands on some.

This is what Old Iron Sides wanted to be, what Bengal Slices should be, and what all latakia lovers should have. I cannot say enough about this blend. If you want to know the difference between syrian and cyprian latakia, try this! You will not be dissappointed in my opinion. Yes, it is pricey, but what in life worth a damn isn't?

This is a nice sweet blend. The Syrian Lat is of high quality. Ultra smooth, smoky and mildly woody. The raisiny, tangy Virginias have a fairly strong presence. The Black Cav is mildly toasty and very sweet. It's a joy to smoke, but shouldn't be pushed or it can burn a little hot. Moderate puffing is fine. I have to avoid smoking these sweet blends too often or I'll tire of them. I don't want to do that so I'll have to ration myself with this one. I will certainly enjoy this blend on occasion.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: 4noggins

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tin appearance is a dark chocolate coloured broken flake with a sparse amount of golden leaf. The broken flake has a tough consistency, reminiscent of beek jerky.

The tin note is of figs and dates, quite sweet. The latakia is apparent on first sniff but is quite delicate.

The flake takes a light well and needs no rubbing out. The scent to this is astounding. There is a pronounced plum aroma and drifting in and out is the faintest hint of a lakeland type perfume. And then there is the latakia. Although burning pine needles is evident, this purportedly Syrian latakia is far more understated and subtle than is the norm. I would like to be able to say I detected oak in the aroma, but sadly I do not. But this is no disappointment.There are definitely woody undertones here.

This tobacco produces volumes of white creamy smoke. No bite at all.

The last half of the bowl is adagio. The energy of the casing and the latakia have been calmed and there is a complex interplay of flavours to be savoured. This is not a tobacco to be smoked while doing something else. There is structure here that rewards focus.

Imho a contemporary classic.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

Tin note; Sweeter than I expected from an English, earthy undertones Appearance; Black with flecks of reddish brown, broken flake. Very moist in tin am drying it out now. Ten minutes. A note before tasting; I know I should have cobs around here or break out a meerschaum but, you know, what's the point in collecting fine smoking instruments if you're not going to use them, right? I mean if I had four figure S. Bangs and the like I'd keep them in a glass cabinet for show, but my nicer three figure Dunhills and Beckers I bought for their smoking qualities. Nothing about this blend suggests it will ruin a good pipe, so first impressions will be me at my best and the tobacco at it's best. I've married on first impressions (granted I've been divorced twice now, but that's not the point). So, I'm trying this out in my favorite bent brandy becker let's call it a group 4 maybe 5 and in an hour or so let y'all know what I think. First third --- I like this, I'm going to partially agree with another reviewer that if you want a different English blend this is it. I'm not sure I'd sign my name to calling this an English blend at all, it tastes more like a stoved and fermented VA with a thing or two to help it burn cooler. I really don't taste a topping so I'm calling the sweetness just from the VA, but it might be a very well made topping too subtle to give off that chemical goopiness that keeps me from aromatics. Second third --- Same taste a little darker, earthier. Last third --- No variation, burns to fine gray ash no dottle, even more evidence this is unlikely cased, no goop, no dottle. If I were to compare this anything else, and I won't name drop, it's like a well cellared stoved broken flake Virginian. The taste hardly varies at all, but then again when you eat Crème Bulee you don't expect it to change halfway through into a snickers bar. I'm not sure if I will smoke this often or always need to have it on hand, but giving it less than three stars would be insulting; it's quality tobacco. It's possible I received an off tin or something, one with just the Virginians and Cavendish (though I don't really like Cavendish when I can taste it) I mean my review seems different.

jediokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jediokie (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This was a superb smoke for me. Looking at the other reviews I don't know if I got lucky with my tin or if my taste buds are just right for this blend.

I found it very mellow for a latakia blend which is awesome for me. The virginia was sweet and the cavendish gave it a nice full body. This hit its stride about mid-bowl and kept delivering until the end.

One note this is a serious sipper. Strong puffing will cause this delicate leaf to bite and all the flavor will vanish. If this happens just walk away for a couple of minutes and let it cool off and everything goes back to normal.

I'm going to cellar this the next time I make a big TAD order for sure.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

This is a splendid offering from Solani. I know no equivalent to this high quality, sublime and unique broken flake. The combination of the slightly sweet Dark VA, unsweetened and spicy Black CA and smokey Syrian latakia offers an earthy,tasty and extremely satisfying smoke. White & Black does not need Or to make things interesting, the tobacco progresses and offers various rich undertones of taste throughout. My tin was dated from Nov 07 and is, simply put, remarkable. If you are seeking a different kind of English mixture, this is for you. Highly recommended!

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (35)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Being a Serious Pipe Smoker living in Canada..Our Choices are FEW+FAR Between(for Premium Pipe Tobacco)I'm very pleased that "Brigham"Did their homework 2find a Company with Consistent-Quality Lines(that'Renier' Embodies)I've tried ALL Renier Tobaccos that are Avail.in Canada.This English Tobacco is not Unlike H.O.W.(Revelation)or McC's(Frog Morton) I find it smokes best if U rub it out Even more/This weed smokes best in a Meer or Cob.I usually have a SM-scotch or Expresso in my free-hand. Take Ur-Time+enjoy this Complex Character

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This mixture of the Solani waited anxiously for me to open it and gave me a surprise. The basis of Virginia is delightfully sweet, and cavendish is flavored with wine and berries. And at the end of the 'spoon' Latakia added, creating a unique combination. Good nicotine taste. Smoked easily to the end. Actually it has a very dry finish leaving only ashes. This does not mean that it retains its flavor to the end, because from the middle of the bowl unfortunately the SOLANI taste disappears. It needs to be smoked easily to avoid any tongue accidents. OK, I tried it, I wrote in my records about it... but, that's as far as it will get for me. Perhaps in my next order I can put another box which I will leave for 3-4 years and see if I can benefit from aging.

tictactoazt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tictactoazt (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am about 3/4 through this tin and I have recently started rubbing this tobacco out a bit and leaving it in the open air for a few minutes. I find that this allows for a longer smoke. I am a new pipe smoker (I started pipe smoking about a year ago) and have recently moved away from aromatics. I went straight to Irish Flake which was far to strong for me - at this point. 763 White and Black is an incredible blend for someone that is between aromatics and English tobaccos. I look forward to smoking this blend as I finish off the last of my aromatics. I am not the most sophisticated smoker but I certainly love this blend. It is peppery and leaves a wonderful after taste. Thanks to all other reviewers that have helped me understand other tobaccos.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

I believe this is Solani's best offering.

This broken, very dark flake is incredible.

I have recently opened a 3 year old tin and spent exceptional moments smoking no 763.

You must try it!

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

Update January 2011: This is still my favourite Syrian Latakia blend, but I just wish I could find exactly this with less Liquorice.. Upped to 4 stars nevertheless and I bought some tins to age and see what will happen.

Tinnote: dark, sweet, alluring... Great!

Taste: smooth, mellow, caressing. Liquorice? I don't know, but I like it.

The sweetness and heaviness makes this a nice smoke in the middle of the evening. Not directly after dinner, not just before going to sleep. A great companinion to sip when I'm winding up my day and planning the next, the contemplative phase of the day...

Keep sipping because relighting is not a pleasure.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)

A de-li-cious combination of stoved VAs and Latakia, this broken flake is a must for the English mixtures fan.

W&B, despite its rather expensive cost, is still worth the expense. You will be extremely pleased by the bold, earthy and spicy taste of the Syrian latakia balanced with the sweetness of the stoved VAs. Rich and tasty, you will not get hit by a nicotine wall. Its content is minimal for my liking. You will be especially pleased by the fact that this tobacco does not offend the anti Latakia crowd because it is barely noticeable in the room note.

This dark broken flake mixture is a pleasure for the palate, burns cool and slow and is simply outstanding, especially after aging for a couple years. I have never been disappointed by this mixture and will definitively rebuy on a regular basis.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

i got this just because of the latakia,i also got the gold label which is much better in my opinion.this one is ok but not as good as solani gold label. in my opinion flakes or broken flakes do not burn as good as ribbon cuts,and i have to relight it but it might get better when it gets dry.i would give this 2.5 stars if i could i expected more!but still its not a bad tobacco its smokable!

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)

This blend has a sharp tang for about the first third of the bowl. Initially, a bit harsh with a little bite. After some of the casing burns off, it doesn't bite at all and provides a cool smoke with a little sweetness. Nothing special here for me, though. I will finish the tin, but will probably not buy it again because it wouldn't be an all day smoke for me. I'm going to set the tin aside to air out for a while & see what happens. Always a treat to try something new, however, & overall this is another good blend from Solani...just not my cup of tea. It is good enough IMHO to rate it a three star blend for now.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Sorry, I just don't get this one. For that matter, I haven't had any VA/Lat combos (except GLP Picadilly - with Perique - that ring my taste meter, so keep that in mind in this review.

The tobacco is obviously high quality, mostly dark, and the tin aroma is great. Moisture level was high, this does need drying before smoking. If taken right from the tin, it will smoke wet, and can be hard to light. Care is needed to avoid bite. Even after drying out, it finishes with a damp bowl. The taste is just ok, early on it has a nice, sweet caramel flavor, but there just isn't enough Latakia to cool the dominant VA. The cavendish doesn't add anything, and the Syrian is overwhelmed. On the whole, I think it would appeal to a VA enthusiast looking for a change, but for Balkan/English buffs like myself it just doesn't cut it. A big disappointment, especially in view of it's super premium price.

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a wonderful blend of mild Latakia, sweet Virginia, and aromatic and flavourful Cavendish in perfect combination. It does change character and become a little too sweet at times but I can forgive this little quirk.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

I will put my money on First Sealord!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DUDES, THIS IS PURE GOLD IN A TIN!!!!!!!!! Jesus, Joseph and Mary!

The description at smokingpipes.com said that I would deal with a mixture of Black VA, Black Cavendish and Latakia, ready Rubbed. At my tobacconist, the tin itself told me that I would smoke an "English Black Flake with Latakia, RR".

By both descriptions, I wasn't sure at first, because in my mind a mixture of all black Bakkie and Latakia based would be too much in terms of smoking strength and time to smoke...I pictured an all black Flake similar to Bengal Slices and went yuk, no way!But after a while, curiosity obliged, I decided that I had to give it a shot, you know what I mean? I had nothing better to do than take a risk, which I've taken all those years I've been a pipe smoker: I've thrown a lot of money in tobaccos I didn't like, so I figured that one more, at the very worse, wouldn't make a difference. By all means, it's part of the pipe smoking game. So I bought a tin ( Atmosphere of intense suspense: sweat is pouring down the forehead from anticipation...)

Let me reassure you, the "Black" is not so black; in fact, upon opening the tin, you will be greeted by a mixture that is composed of approximatively 65% dark brown, 20% black and 15% golden leaves. I guess the percentage will vary from one tin to another, but I'm sure by not very much, give or take 5% for each category. The first couples days, as the mixture was very moist, I did not attempt smoking it. I let it sit in the tin, closed of course, and let time do its work. At first, I could not make out the Latakia at all, it was mostly a very earthy and barely sweet smell welcoming me, very rich and pleasant. After three days, the tobacco was less moist and the Latakia started sticking out, but discreetly.

Anyway, I decided to give it a shot last night, after 5 days, and I was thrilled to discover a very refined, rich, tasty smoke that was still smooth by all means; yea, this is pure silk smoking, you taste it significantly but it does not harass your senses at all. The puffs get up to your nostrils and you want to smell it some more. Your taste buds are in heaven and the smoke does not bite; surprisingly, despite the Latakia, my wife did not complain at all and, believe me, whenever I smoke Latakia mixtures, I hear from her not long after, and not in a positive fashion, to be precise! This time, she did not say a thing! I lighted up, saying to myself " Yea, another two minutes and she'll turn around and give me her verdict" but hey! Silence at the other end after those two minutes. I just went "What the heck?" but happily carried on my smoking. After a while, confused because of her lack of reaction, I had to ask her if she could smell the Bakkie and she replied "Yea, no more or no less than the other ones". End of discussion. I felt like saying "Yea, but how come you're not complaining, there's freaking Latakia in there", but I'm smarter than that. I smoked by butt off...

It'll be our secret, guys. The only Latakia mixture a guy can smoke with his wife or non-smokers around and nobody will whine, can you believe this? Let's praise Solani's Black and White!!!

7 stars out of 5!

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

All the best to your search; I hope you have an exceptional intelligence team, armour-all sir!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Am I supposed to be scared? What are you going to do, attack me with your Fleet? I am not accessible by water way!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why, absolutely not, your excellency! What makes you think such a thing?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A true gentleman's tobacco: the combination of Syrian latakia, Black stoved VA and unsweetened black CA is outstanding! And easy to smoke despite the darkness of the rubbed-out flakes.

The smoke reveals diversified layers of taste that release a rich, creamy and delicious smoke that is barely sweet and mostly smoky and spicy from the Latakia. Surprisingly, as our one and only First Sealord - how blessed are we to count an admiral, no less, among our brotherhood?- revealed, the Latakia remains undetected among the roomnote.

Contrary to the last couple brothers that mentioned their sad experience with this glorious ready rubbed flake, I have never had this issue with Black and White. I hope this manufacturing mistake will be quickly sorted out!

This tobacco is worthy of Johannus Christus's stamp of approval.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)

You certainly must be reacheble through waterway: your last name sounds like it's Dutch!!! There is plenty of water where you live!!!! I shall get you!

///////////////////////////////////////////////

You watch your tongue Sailor or I shall beat to Quarters!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Are you mocking me, Mr Christus? Do you know who I AM???

///////////////////////////////////

After reading the reviews below, about the discrepency between 50 and 100 gr tins, I cannot help but wonder, because every time I smoked this delightful ready -rubbed flake, the content and taste were consistent. But I have noticed that Solanis English mixture has significantly changed over the last 4 yearts or so.

This fine tobacco is dark, dark and dark. I highly fancy dark tobaccos, and B&W holds its promise of being dark. Just a small proportion is dark-medium brown Tin aroma is of fine rich earth, leather, smokiness from the latakia and a slight sweet note. The rubbed-out flakes make it easy to fill the pipe and they don't require supplementary break down.

Despite its darknes, this tobacco is easy to light and maintain. One is greeted with pure, complex tobacco taste alternating from the smokiness and spiciness of the Latakia to the subtle sweet notes of the stoved black VA. The beauty of this tobacco is the fact that the latakia is barely detectable in the room note. I can therefore play a trick on Mrs First Sealord because she does not fancy the Latakia smell!

By all means, this tobacco is not strong, but it is rich and satisfying. the nicotine level is rather low, but greatly compensated by the delightfullness of the smoke.

Black and White gets the First Sealord's stamp of approval!

rschlack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rschlack (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon first smoking thing blend I absolutely hated it. I found it had too much bite and the flavor, which was very pleasant, was gone after 2 puffs.

I put it away for a week and tried again with various pipes and various amounts of rubbing. In the end I found that this tobacco smoked best when rubbed out a decent amount. I let the first wad fall loosely into the bowl and pack the top half of the bowl tighter. The flavor of the black and white is creamy but comes and goes. The flavor is better when sipped and this also keeps it from biting.

The latakia was really hidden in the background. This tobacco would probably be better without it.

All in all, I found myself wishing for more flavor and working too hard to find satisfaction. I'm not sure I would bother with this again. But I will look for the same flavor in another tobacco.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now this is about damn near perfect...for me at least. I think this might qualify as a crossover, which is what I really like. The berry/wine-like topping never really goes away but fades to a ver nice background flavor. I didn't get a wash of latakia at the end and I'm glad for it because I don't like latakia forward blends. Sweet, smooth, a bit of zestiness from time to time, caramel notes, the gentle slap of nicotine at the end...just about the best tobacco I've put in a pipe. I hope it cellars well, but I can't imagine something better. 9 (almost 10) of 10 11/27/2006

UPDATE: Well 1-1/2 years later and I find that the Latakia has now moved into the foreground, not what I'm really after. Still a great smoke but I find I don't like it as much anymore. Gonna knock off a star.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It was not without some trepidation that I opened my first tin of Solani 763 the other day: what with all those mixed reviews I wasn't sure what I would get! But luckily I was greeted by the sight of a nice, coarsely rubbed out, flake that did smell of latakia and VA. It was rather moist so some airing will do it good. It is a very tasty, slightly sweet smoke with a subdued Latakia presence and with a little tendency to bite, so nipping it brings out the best. Not overwhelmingly strong either, it will satisfy the palate for a good Va, BC and Latakia rubbed out flake.

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unfortunately my tin was primarily cavendish. I sure wish I tasted some Syrian.. any at all. Nada, none. It's okay, but after reading the other reviews I understand the mistake. A true pity.

podpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
podpipe (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply fell in love with this blend...what a variety of flavors right till the end. I left it behind for a month or so...I was giving the dunhill 965 a try...then the other night decided to open my solani Black and white again...wow...just a beautiful smoke...toasty, sweet, rich, just enough Latakia...love this blend best after dinner. Puff it slow and let those flavors and that aroma fill the air and your palate...enjoy

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The German blender R. L. Will has yet to disappoint me and provides some of my true favorite Va/Perique flakes in Reiner's Long Golden Flake and Solani 633. Now I've found a favorite with Latakia. My interest in this relatively new item, 763, was its blender and its flake form since I've always favored that for slow burning rates. The partially rubbed out flakes were predominantly dark brown to black but some golden and red VAs were also present. The moisture content from my tin was fine, no condensation developed and lighting and burn rate were excellent. Usually, I get complaints or smart remarks when I open Latakia blends in non pipe smoking company but this blend actually brought compliments. The room aroma was also less objectionable to others. I sensed no bite but found a cool, rich, dense and enjoyable smoke. The taste is too full for me as an all day smoke but after dinner, this is a joy. The Latakia that is present is not so dominant or smoky to cover the sweet VAs. As the flavor develops from the initial lighting, it gets stronger but not bitter or sharp. Although I've generally shied away from Latakia blends, this would be my #1 pick.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I may have received a tin of B&W from the same production run (or ?bottom of the barrel?) as Redneck below and I echo some of his comments. I found B&W flat, lacking in flavor, body, taste and strength. It was very much a ?hot air? smoke in that it pirouetted across my palate on ballerina tiptoes, i.e., I hardly knew it was there. In short, BLACK and WHITE apparently has a GRAY area and that gray area may be in quality control. I?ll have to try some of Redneck?s friends B&W or purchase another tin at a later date. There are just too many glowing reviews here and it leads me to believe that I, like Redneck, received a ?gray? tin with our first purchase.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.1 out of 10.

stems Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stems (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

just started smoking this a week ago. i usually smoke straight virginias such as best brown or marlin flake but have been exploring latakia lately. the tin aroma is very delicious and natural smelling. maybe there is a berry topping as other reviewers have noted, but it is very subtle. i smell mostly ripe red virginias and delicious latakia. it must be syrian latakia, because it smells and tastes nothing like the cyprian variety. the smoke starts off very smooth and rich, gets a little spicy at mid bowl and finishes smooth and tasty. this is an incredible blend. i'm starting to like it more than my straight virginias. all the components are very balanced. definitely a classic. it's amazing how smooth and rich this tobacco is from the start. hard to imagine that it could get any better with aging. needs to dry for an hour before smoking though......

DrJohnNash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrJohnNash (9)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

When I opened the tin all I could think of was a winter?s afternoon in the Northeastern United States-- a windless, cloudless day, cold and crisp with the smell of wood- burning fireplaces, and the dank smell of the nearby woods. In fact, I bought this tin with the intention of smoking it all winter long, but I am, all the same, an atypical pipe aficionado. I live in the Southwest, and the weather today was well into the 60s. Not only am I 1500 miles away from my nearby woods, but I am atypical in that I enjoy tobaccos that many would call aromatics, and as a fellow reviewer said, ?You aromatic smokers keep away.? Nonsense! Light up and enjoy. The lakatia is not a problem because of the overall quality of this tobacco and because it is really something of an experience. A daily smoke? Probably not for the likes of me, but I don?t smoke daily. Ah, but on a cold desert night, such good company as Solani. It cannot be missed.

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

If you are aromatic lovers please just stay away from Solani Black and White; Latakia may disturb you. As other reviewer say it is a good tobacco, but this is true only if you are a ?profi? with Latakia.

I recommend this tobacco only if you smoke once or just twice in a day.

Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redneck (15)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

I find this blend to be rather boring. It does not have the spice or depth in taste I expected. At the price they are charging, I will pass this one up in the future.

Ok Ok. I made a mistake!! I had NEVER had a bad tin of tobacco before. The part tin I smoked was missing something, (bland and no flavor)! My buddy said I was crazy and that I should try a bowlful of his. Its hard to believe that was the same blend. I agree with the other people here that this is a very tasty blend, (but still costs toooo much & one star for Quality Control).

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe I have found a new favorite latakia. This stuff is so good I don't know where to begin. The tobacco itself comes packed in thickish stringy pieces that can be stuffed right into the bowl or broken slightly. Dark in color, sweet and earthy in aroma, the best part comes when smoked. I don't know if it is the Syrian, but man, this is smooth as silk. Definately not as smokey as other latakia blends, slightly more sweet. For me, this is the one. Too bad it costs more than most.

ruggiero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruggiero (19)

There are just SOOOOOO many medium-full English blends out there that taste similar to one another or with so little difference between each other. THIS ENGLISH IS NOT ONE OF THEM. I like the word 'pipestud' used in his review ..."unique".

I recently have been on a binge in trying different pipe tobaccos over the past month. I've smoked around 50 different blends or so in about 1 months time. I was beginning to think that I was losing my taste for latakia blends but this latakia based English has restored by faith in this 'genre' of pipe tobacco.

This blend is easily in the top 2 or 3 blends that I have recently tried. It is a medium strength English which is creamy, smokey, tasty and well rounded with a wonderful flavor/taste. The room note is outstanding. It burns to a fine, grey ash with no moisture at the bottom of the bowl. I love the broken flakes as IMO they seem to be the ideal cut for burning.

I don't know if it's the Syrian latakia that is purportedly used or the flavoring added via the cavendish, etc. but it is no doubt a masterpiece of a blend. The highest accolodes from this reviewer.

Yes sir, a classic!

This Solani mixture was an extremely pleasant surprise. The Virginia base was delightfully sweet, and the cavendish was flavored with a wine/berry extract that tasted almost fermented. Couple all of the above with a background of Latakia and presto, a unique taste combination.

This Solani blend smoked cool and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I will add more tins to my cellar.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Sometimes, certain tobaccos fit certain occasions. A nice sunny afternoon at 80 degrees in the park requires a nice McClelland or Rattray virginia. A cold winter's eve requires a big bowl of Penzance or Odyssey. A cool summer night on the lake requires a bowl of Solani 763 Black and White. This blend has absolutely lovely virginias forming the base of the smoke. I detected a bit of a wine casing, but wasn't dissapointed as I felt that is complemented the tobacco well. The cavendish serves to smooth the smoke and add some body. The Syrian latakia in this starts out almost unnoticeable, but as the bowl progresses in adds a nice peppery spice to this. A wonderful blend that I highly recommend.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

update: I recently opened a tin that was about a year old. What a difference! Much smoother! Since the Syrian used in this blend seems to be no more, stock up now. I am also upgrading to four stars. bravo to Mr. Will!

This is definitely a blend in a category of its own and heartily recommend it to you all. My tin was consigned to ash all too quickly! Upon opening the round 50g tin, you are greeted by a very dark, mostly broken flake, yes, I said flake. Tin aroma is delicious with a wonderful symphony of aroma from the three leaves used in this blend.

Packing: I found it to work better for me if I fully rubbed out the flakes. The flakes are very oily (a good sign!)and go out easily if not rubbed out.

Lighting: Once rubbed-out, lighting is a four vesta affair, you may want to let this air out a bit.

Initial Flavor: Simply put, delicious! the cavendish is not cloying and there seems to be a nice roundness to the flavor.

Mid-Bowl: Aah, this is where this blend shines. The smokiness of the Syrian latakia plays well with the Va and Va Cavendish. It has a merlot-like flavor.

Bottom-Bowl: Nice intensity of flavor builds up, smokes to the bottom without a fuss.

Ash: Dark, grey, mottled, and a nice dusting on the bowl walls.

Overall: This is a nice change of pace tobac for me. I did find that you could get tongue-bite if you puff a little too hard when fresh. This blend will occupy my cellar as it may benefit from some aging, and boy, do I look forward to trying again in a couple of years.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

In my opinion RCUSElders review is spot on. This is a real treat and a quality blend. I have 5 tins in the cellar and can't wait to try this with some age on it.

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)

Let me start by saying that I tried this and 633 on the same day and found two new members for my aging cabinet.

I think this is a great blend. This is, by far, the best smoke I've had that contains Syrian Latakia. To add to this, it is very unusual also since it comes in flake form! I find it needs just an hour or so of air drying (per bowl) and, in my opinion, to be rubbed out completely. I like smoking this in big, big pipes. (Heck, I like smoking nearly everything in big pipes, so why should this be any different?) I have found that this is a little sharp upon first light, but once the bowl develops, the smoke is round, full and smooth.

Also, the importer for this and other fine products is Steve Monjure, and if you ever get a chance to meet him and/or buy pipes from him, you too will realize what an asset he is to our humble hobby.

Review for 633 to come once I finish a whole tin.

JP

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Roger Wills at the plate; Steve Monjure pitching. A slow ball, Roger swings and hits a long fly ball into deep, deep center field. Back. Back. Way back. Tim of Paylesspipes, playing outfield, runs and leaps up to steal a homer, but it's over his head. HOME RUN! The crowd goes wild.

I met Steve and Tim with a new batch of Rinaldos at paylesspipes recently . They tempted me with his new tin. I have smoked nearly two tins now in a new large Rinaldo.

Yes sir pipe fans, this is a no non-sense tobak. Full, deep, rich, manly. Very slow burning, and needs no extra rubbing. Combines three simple tobaccos into a majestic broken dark flake. Easy to pack and light. Medium and mellow in taste at the start, it quickly builds to a spicy, stronger middle. The end is very round and dark. Dry smoking; you feel like you just had a meal after it's end.

Not many a tobacco pack this much flavor and are as smooth like this. The only things much smoother are the very old and aged old syrian blends. This blend must have been aged plenty, and is ready to smoke off the shelf. Extra aging may improve its smoothness.

This is also quite complex. The syrian latakia adds strength but not the smokiness of cyprian. The black cavendish is not sweetened and just gives the taste a dark side. The dark and lighter virginias used give it a semi-sweet, natural base. No one tobacco dominates, and this is a good finish for the evening. Quite rich but different than most english blends. No orientals.

The recent review in P&T magazine (March 2004) recommends this but does not add how truely superb and special of a blend this is. It is on the stong side mind you, so may not be an all day smoke for many. But it is a wonderful experience even once or twice a day. Highly recommended.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

to less nicotin to me is the reason i will not buy it again. i think the VA and latakia leafs are high qualitie but there is not enough power in i expect from a english flake. but there are many tobaccos describet as `strong` which have only a few nic but much taste!! I think many reviewer confuses STRENGHT and TASTE. this is my first review so forgive me my lack of details course my english is not so good as it should be. all in all 2 stars for the good baccy taste 2014-02-10 I have to upgrade my review! after 2 years the diamond become a brilliant.Aging is the key for getting a sweet and smoky and a rounded powerful smoke. I will buy a tin again to cellar it. With some age Highly Recommended

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend is decent, not worth the premium price. If it were a bulk blend than it would command a bit more respect from me. The broken flake cut was very inconsistent and burned very hot. It seemed to do better in smaller bowled pipes, but never really shined. The Licorice casing really masked the Syrian Latakia and did not help to make this a better smoke. There is still some subtleties if sipped slowly.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

My experience with 763 is exactly the same as smokeemifyougotem except that I was introduced to this mixture at a local pipe show and was so impressed that I purchased three 100g tins of it. Well, those three tins bore no resemblance to the fine product I had sampled.

Save your money.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: 1-16-08 It would be nice to have an explanation on what is going on with this blend. I gave this tin 5 months to transmorph back to what it was supposed to be. NOPE it didn't. The trash is the only proper place for this. What ashame and what an unforgivable mistake!

Original review 7/20/07 Unfortunately this blend is inconsistent which is entriely unaccaptable given the premium price. A year ago I smoked two 50gram tins that were absolute heaven. A few weeks ago I bought a 100gram tin. The disappointment of that first bowl is overwhelming. It doesn't taste like the same stuff. Given the comments of others in this forum and my now own matching personal experience I must conclude that there are more than a few "bad" tins floating around. I will not be risking any more money on this blend. What ashame!

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Well, you may have noticed several mentions about inconsistency, as did I when I first read the reviews. But the positive reviews convinced me to purchase a tin anyway. And that tin was, let me tell you, heaven. Absolute heaven. It's a very delicate balance for me with English blends that contain cavendish. Some are excellent. Some are awful. There was something about this one that mitigated the bitter flavor that I normally get from cav. or somehow incorporated it differently. But, no matter, the bottom line is that this stuff was sublime. So I decided to go ahead and buy another tin. I thought that all the complaints about inconsistency here were just a few unlucky aberrations. Well, after opening up the second tin, I, too, am convinced there's a major problem with quality control somewhere at Solani.

I say with absolute certainty, that the second tin was not the same tobacco as the first. First off, they looked vastly different. Tin one was mostly all black, tin two had not even a single strand of black tobacco. Secondly, they smelled nothing alike. Tin one smelled like Latakia and Cavendish. Tin two smelled like a nondescript VA based aromatic. "Well," I thought, "Maybe they changed the formula, or I'm remembering it wrong." So, I decided to load up a bowl from the new tin and smoke it. BIG MISTAKE! Where was the Latakia? For that matter, where was the Cavendish? I couldn't taste either of them. What I could taste, I can't really say, but I had to fight just to make it halfway through the bowl. It was, without a doubt, the nastiest tobacco I have ever tried. And to add to it's list of vile qualities, the aftertaste was unbelievably persistent. I tried smoking a bowl of Old Ironsides to get rid of it. Didn't help. Tried brushing my teeth and tongue. Didn't help. Drank a cup of coffee. Didn't help. Drank two glasses of cheap rye whiskey. That helped some, but the rest, I just had to wait out.

So, again, I am absolutely certain that these are not the same tobaccos. Additionally, they were so different that I'm convinced that Solani didn't just alter the formula. Here's what I think happened: after reading the reviews for other tobaccos in the Solani line, I'm 90% certain that I got a tin of Sweet Mystery X with a label for White and Black mistakenly put on the front. So I suppose you should consider my comments above a review for Sweet Mystery X. Forgive the cheap shot, but the Mystery is why anyone would voluntarily smoke it.

I would love to buy another tin of the first stuff. But only if I could be absolutely assured that I would be getting the same thing. From my experiences, and others here, however, I just don't think that's possible. It's a real shame, too. They've really ruined what would otherwise have been a four star blend. I doubt I'll ever buy it again unless the store will let me open up the tin before I pay to make sure I'm getting the tobacco I'm paying for. Yeah, that'll happen.

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

OK, so I'm an aromatic smoker, but I thought I would try this out because of all the rave reviews. Ooops! It just blew me away. It was a very strange experience smoking this. At first, the flavours were very pleasent - interesting nuances I was not familiar with (Latakia?) But after just a few minutes i found the strength building up to become overwhelming. I ended up light-headed and nauseous. Is that the nicotine? What-ever it was, it made this a once-only experience for me. So, beginners beware! (and I should know, because I've been a beginner for 20 years now)

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I suspect, like Redneck and Mr. Dottle, that I also bought a tin that made it past quality control. I've had perhaps one and half dozen pipefuls of this tobacco and have been disappointed with each smoke. I've tried it in Ardor pipes, a Cavicchi, a Dunhill size 5, a Ser Jacopo with a huge chamber and a Tsuge bent; in each pipe it has been underwhelming. I have tried smoking it right from the pouch, unrubbed and moist, and have tried it rubbed to a fare-the-well and I've tried it after cutting the mixture with scissors and dried almost to the crackling point. In all instances it has been underwhelming. I've puffed it fast, puffed it slow, and tried various loading techniques, including the Frank method with a hefty wad of the tobac acting as a "plug" at the top of the tobacco chamber. Still underwhelming, at times almost tasteless and definitely insipid. Visually and tactiley it is a high-quality tobacco; the pouch aroma is fantastic... it just has not lived up to the expectations intimated by the relatively high price. On the positive side, it burns very well, bite (after a good drying) is nonexistant and I have learned that a lengthy DGT (like maybe twelve hours or more) will improve the taste somewhat. I might stove what is remaining in the tin in the hopes that I can salvage something out of this purchase.