Stokkebye’s Turkish Pipe tobacco is a flavorful uncased blend of Turkish Samsun (a legendary Oriental leaf) which is sun-cured and expertly blended with ripe Virginia tobaccos for a complex pleasing smoke. It is lightly aromatic and smooth.

Notes: This comes in 2 cuts - a fine ribbon (in bulk) for pipe, and a fine shag (in pouch) for RYO.

BrandPeter Stokkebye

3.7
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Among the most versatile blends available, and the best of the PS dual-purpose tobaccos, Turkish is smooth and sweet with a natural backdrop of salted nuts. This blend is full of natural sugars yet carries just enough oriental salt/pepper to keep it interesting.

Performs excellently in the pipe or as RYO, burning just fast enough for a RYO but just slow enough for a pipe. Turkish also serves as a good mixer for home blenders. Smokes cool for its burn rate, with no bite.

This is a delicious, unadulterated tobacco for all-day smokers and one of my go- to cob tobaccos for occasions that don't call for a more complex, sitting-in-an- armchair blend: mid-day smoking,working outside, driving,etc

I am very impressed with this tobacco.

A few notes of disagreement with the blender's description above: this is different than the PS RYO pouches of 'Turkish'. Cut is similar, but the tobacco comes more moist in bulk. Also, the cut is better described as ribbon than shag, especially compared to an RYO smokers definition of "shag". To say that this "is tobacco for regular cigarettes" is, in my opinion, a disservice. While this tobacco will roll excellent cigarettes, it really comes alive in a pipe, and particulary in a cob. Smokes very dry, burning down to ash and leaving absolutely no residue. Strong in the vitamin, lightweights beware.

Highly recommended for: - cigarette smokers looking to transition to the pipe - pipe smokers who enjoy straightforward orientals - anyone looking for a natural, unadulterated pipe tobacco

I will be buying significant quantities of this tobacco before it's taxed out of existence.

Edit: update Sept '12. This has rapidly become my all day tobacco. I reserve evenings for blends of complexity. But for smoking throughout the day, this blend delivers wonderful, sweet, natural tobacco flavor at a price that can't be beat. Burn rate is perfect for smoking on the fly. Enjoying this mostly in cobs, which seem a great match.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Orange-ish yellow ribbon that is almost a shag. Bag aroma is very light, almost no aroma at all. Purchased as a blender but I also smoked 5 bowls straight. It performed admirably both ways. As a blender, it lent some body and a kind of floral note, although not like a Lakeland does. There was some spiciness underneath as well. It took me awhile to figure out how best to use it and I tended to use quite a lot, as condiments like latakia and perique tended to mask it if I used much of them. But once I got a better handle on it, it worked very nicely.

However, I preferred this as a straight smoke, surprisingly. By itself, it showed exactly what it brought to the table... an incense-y, rich and mellow sharpness with a hint of cigar notes and the barest amount of sweetness. Although it is claimed that there is Virginia in here, it wasn't really noticeable in the taste. However, a small amount could have been used to make it burn better. This did tend to burn rather fast but held the match nicely, something not all straight Turkish tobaccos do. If you really want to find out what the Samsun varietals taste like, skip the McClellands blend (which has more Virginia in the mix) and try this one. If you want to know what it smells like, this won't bring any epiphanies, as I could barely tell I'd smoked anything when I left the room and returned. This isn't an all-day type smoke for me but it's good any time of the day. More headed to my cellar!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)

This is made for both cigarretes and pipes. I dint detect any Virginia in it, seems to me a mixture os Samsum and Smirna tobacco, pure Turkish. It have the Richness of pure Orientals. A Good choice for the Begginers in pipe smoking and for People that Likes Turkish Tobacco. Is also a good Tobacco for use as a component of personal and special mixtures, since practically it is "neutral". Their Cut, Shag, turns ii easy to pack and light.Despite, it is not slow burning, burns hot.

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of Peter Stokkebye’s dual-role offerings - the same tobacco, cut & packaged separately for pipes and RYO. According to what I’ve read, the separate formats are as follows - a finer shag in pouches (for RYO), and a slightly wider and longer ribbon/shag (available in bulk) that’s intended for pipes, but with a little finesse can be repurposed for off-label RYO as well. The sample I obtained is of the bulk ribbon/shag variety, which I’m reviewing here for RYO use.

My 1 ounce sample arrived a tad dryish, so I popped it into a small clean glass jar, along with a humidor disk, and let it refresh itself overnight, by which time it was back in slightly springy prime condition. As mentioned, the bulk ribbon/shag hybrid cut is a tad longish for RYO. Used as is, the long ribbons can be a bit awkward to load, and cause an overly tight draw when compressed into a standard tube. However, I’ve found this is easily corrected with a few swipes of a sharp chef knife, to shorten the longer ribbons into the ¼ - ½ ” range, after which it becomes MUCH more tube friendly.

I haven't really focused on this in pipe form yet (where it will doubtless smoke very differently), but enjoyed in cigarette form, this tobacco is simple, clean, mild and unobtrusive, has ample Vitamin-N (for those that want it), and a faintly sweet/citrusy finish, rounded out with a vague but pleasing spicy/nutty note. From what little I’ve seen to date, as far as uncased RYO-friendly pipe tobaccos go, this is a high quality and very economical non-aromatic option. Figure that one ounce is enough for roughly 25 filtered king cigarettes.

As an off-label RYO option, the PS T84 gets a solid 3 stars for flavor, plus an extra full star for value (4 stars total).

---------- **STRENGTH: Pipe = Mild, Cigarette (nic) = Med to strong.

Pipe Used: RYO (Filtered Kings)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

an outstanding natural turkish tobacco, sweet, spicy and naturally aromatic, mild with full flavor and with no bite, graet pipe tobacco, VERY cost effective, a must try any kind of pipe smoker.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (15)
Mild Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

This is a impressive tobacco. I don't RYO so just a pipe review here. I love the warm buttery, nutty taste and there's a little nic there too. I can smoke bowl after bowl and be satisfied. I have also blended with Old Gowrie and that works out well. For a newcomer or veteran it is truly a good standard. The room note is a little on the cig side, but that vanishes within minutes, so my wife never complains.

Pipe Used: Briars and Cobs

Similar Blends: Other more neutral smokes that are buttery and nutty, drug store blends, but 84 is much better..

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have a few ounces of this I am working through. This is an interesting smoke. I was smoking the pipe thin ribbon version, and it stayed lit well and burned cool. I found a few interesting qualities in this blend. It tickles the nose early in the bowl and gives an occasional tingle to the tongue late in the bowl. It leaves a very pleasant sweetish aftertaste in the mouth when you put the pipe down.

In terms of flavor, it is thin but a pleasant mix of sweet and spicy. There is no topping that I can detect. This is a mild smoke and has a decent tobacco flavor with a little something extra to provide interest.

Edit 8/17/14: I bought a pound of this when the sample was nearing the end. I find this a remarkably good "all-day" smoke. I have not tried blending it with anything. Hydrating it a little in the pouch intensifies the flavors.

Erik PDX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik PDX (1)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been purchasing this blend (first in shag, now in ribbon) in bulk since '96. It was touted by a local tobacconist as a perfect newcomer blend; and it was. So perfect in fact, that I've not been without it since.

So, I am a hybrid smoker. My bad, I know. If you're a pipe purist, you'll likely want me shot by the end of this read... Cigarettes from 7am to 5pm while at work, and then a pipe stuck in my maw from 6pm till midnight and all weekend long.

So here we go--

This is my favorite tobacco period. I'll tell you why!

The "Bulk Pipe Tobacco" version is cheap for such quality leaf. About $25 U.S. per pound.

It makes an amazingly mellow cigarette. More on that later.

By itself in a pipe it's not bad at all. Yes, it's a bit mono, but with some fruity and floral notes peeking out of fairly rich smoke and that mild, pleasant turkish\VA flavor. The room note is a bit cigarettish, but dissipates quickly.

It likes to pop up and pepper the nose early on, I love that sting. Over the course of the bowl, that pepper seems to travel from your nose to your palate. Burns on the fast side, but cool, barely even heats up my thin walled Stanwell Featherweight. It does like to go out now and then. A moderate pack at the bottom and tight at the top will alleviate this somewhat.

It wont bite you unless you're trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Tudval said you can inhale this. In a cig, sure. But I can't do it in a briar without choking.

Blending. This is a great blender and even better salvager.

If you have any tins of tobacco you bought, but just can't quite handle their strength or bite, toss a bit of this ribbon in. It will dull out the sharpest edge or lighten the heaviest hammer without drastically altering the original flavor profile.

Have an aromatic that's cased to death or overly sweet and gooey? Dry some of this to near brittle, add some to the jar or tin and re-seal. Gently roll blend the two together then wait a few days. Waste not want not!

My home blend consists of 3 different VAs, Turkish Export, a bit of fire cured Kentucky or Latakia (I tried both once, it tasted weird) and a touch of C&D Perique. I moisten it all with partially de-alcoholed Bushmills Irish whiskey, a few drops of vinegar and a bit of lemon blossom honey. Then clamp press the heck out of it for a month.

I have no idea what to call it, maybe "Erik's Ugly Mild English Cake".

But wait. There's more!

Blended Cigarette's.

I often crave the taste of pipe during the day. But a good pipe cannot be had on a 10min smoke break now can it? What to do, what to do...

I've found that mixing 25-50% of any number of my favorite pipe ribbons makes a fantastic pipe flavored cig with a manageable Vitamin N content.

Thank's for your time!

"JY" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"JY" (8)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Reviewing as RYO/MYO cigarette tobacco. Monotone sweetness balanced by mild tobacco and very mild earthy flavors. The good type of earthy flavors like some hay, a little fresh raw white mushrooms, and very occasional Italian seasoning. Have to concentrate to find the flavors, if not, still great smoke regardless. No topping/casing flavor detected, "natural" offering. Decent body. Mild nicotine, is a nice feature. Burns cool, another big plus. High praise for what this tobacco doesn't do more than what is does; it will not make your head spin, no assertive flavor to pan, no odd oriental funkyness, and no aftertaste issues. A favorite for mass consumption and daily smoke. Great blender. Very forgiving. Good value. This one surprised me, outstanding understated tobacco in my opion.

NikolasZenHagakure Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NikolasZenHagakure (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good Oriental, mild and elegant, rich amount of Samsun leaf. Good for blending but also very nice stand alone (Nikolas/Greece)

blkhand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blkhand (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was wondering if the "pipe" tobacco was the same as the rolloing tobacco on the Turkish?

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

PS now calls this "Turkish Pipe Tobacco". It's the same thing as the first reviewer spoke of. A shag cut, best for RYO but can be smoked in a pipe as well. It's probably what some would call a 'faux' pipe tobacco; really an RYO but called pipe tobacco to avoid the exhorbitant tax on cigarettes tobacco.

They also have their Danish, Norwegian, and Amsterdam blends similarly labeled. Hopefully they will do the same with their English Export. These are as good as RYO tobaccos are going to get and priced to be in the same range as much inferior tobaccos like Red Cap, 4 Aces, and others.

For RYO tobaccos, PS's blends cannot be beaten at any price.

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is quite pleasant to smoke in a pipe, even though the cut is quite fine. Mild oriental and sweet virginia. One of the best RYO tobaccos. For the former cigarette smokers, it has the advantage that it can be inhaled. There is no tongue bite (which was the reason I never took to pipe smoking full time). I also use it to sprinkle a bit on top of coarse pipe tobacco to make it easier to light, and sometimes blend it with other, stronger tobaccos to tone them down. Cons: RYO tobacco is taxed heavily, so it's somewhat expensive. For pipe smoking you can achieve similar results with the PS Balkan Supreme.