Our proprietary Red Virginia Cavendish is lightly cased with a delicate maple flavor resulting in our best selling aromatic blend. The smoker will appreciate the taste of Virginias while those around will flock to the warm, inviting ...

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Taste

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (19)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First, you smokers of old camp fires and used leather goods, why do you buy something that claims to contain maple flavorings, sugar rum, vanilla,whisky, and citrus flavors, and promptly start whining that it is too sweet. Why are you spending your hard earned money buying tobacco that you don't like unless you simply want to bash.

On to the tobacco, it does not get ashy. I've went through two large tins, one older and one newer. It never happened. Next guess what? The tobacco was sweet, maybe very sweet. You know why? Maybe because it had maple flavorings, sugar, whisky, citrus flavors, rum and vanilla. It is exactly what it says it is. Now that that is resolved, lets review this tobacco based on what it is supposed to be. It's strength is somewhere between medium and strong. The older tin I had was somewhat milder than the newer tins. Also the nicotine was a little more than I expected from this tobacco. The room note was fine for me but I live alone. I could see how it might be too much of a good thing to some people. As far as taste goes, I like it. Guess what? It had a taste similar to sweet maple since it has in it maple, sugar, rum, vanilla,citrus flavors, and whisky. A fine tobacco which might be over the top for some tastes. If you like blow out taste and aroma, you will love it. It is what it says it is and is really good. 4 stars An aside, Wilke Maple is another maple flavored tobacco you might enjoy. Softer and some what more complex. Not better; just different. I enjoy them both.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I purchased sixteen ounces of bulk on this. It cellared for almost four full years. The initial tin note smoothed out from the intense maple aroma I remember when I jarred it. But upon opening it was still a rush of delicious maple syrup. Typical Cornell and Diehl quality in the blend and leaf. No garbage stems and such. Just nice smokable leaf. The taste and smell is so much like a church pancake breakfast. That's why I bought it.

I've read a lot of reviews complaining of a heavy ash taste. Intentionally I smoked this very fast and hot. It produced this result. My normal slow approach and several light tampings produce the same favorable results every other time.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Standard XL307

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

What an unexpected disappointment for me! I found the maple casing extremely cloying - to the point of being nauseating. And that was not the only negative ...

One day I was enjoying a bowlful in my private library when a non-smoking colleague (who loves the smell of most aromatic pipe tobaccos) peeked inside and asked in an alarming tone, "Have you started smoking cigarettes again?" Autumn Evening has been the only aromatic tobacco to have ever triggered this reaction - and I have smoked dozens of different aromatics.

My experience leaves me with no choice but to agree with another reviewer that the room note is of pancakes and stale cigarette smoke. The concept reminds me of covering up pre-existing body odour with strong deodorant. It makes distinguished noses reel.

Interestingly, many smokers and ex-smokers find the room note pleasant. I suspect they are not sensitive to the smell of cigarette type smoke and observe mainly the strong maple aroma. I have had no such luck with non-smokers.

The cloying casing and vulgar room note push me in the direction of a one star rating but I'll add another star for the good quality tobacco leaf used.

This somewhat harsh review is not meant to put fellow pipers off this popular blend. I have merely attempted to succinctly describe my personal experience. By all means try Autumn Evening for yourself, if you haven't already. Your mileage may vary.

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)

Imagine walking into an IHOP at 3 AM and being seated in the smoking section. There's nobody else around, but a heavy odor of stale tobacco lingers in the air as you tuck into a Pancake Platter. If this is your idea of paradise, then Autumn Evening is the blend for you.

The quest for a good aromatic continues -- I still haven't found anything to beat Pipeworks & Wilke. Autumn Evening is perfectly good tobacco, no nasty PG or anything like that, and it's smooth as butter. But I found it nauseating. There's a certain indefinable unpleasantness to it, deriving perhaps from the slightly cloying sweetness plus the Log Cabin flavoring (I love maple syrup and maple sugar candy, having grown up in New England, but this taste is more reminiscent of maple- flavored breakfast cereal). Two stars for the basic quality of the leaf, but think twice about buying this stuff if, like me, you're an English/Balkan guy looking for something you can smoke around the house.

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (11)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is of medium flavor and smokes easily with no unpleasant after effects. It undoubtedly has and will provide many more relaxing autumn evenings for smokers. The low star rating is based only on subjective preferences and should not discourage anyone who is so inclined towards the flavors associated with the "hotcakes" served at McD's (or the like) from smoking CD's AE. To its credit the flavor of the smoke is consistent with the pouch aroma which smells overwhelmingly of margarine. Perhaps this is what is advertised and understood to be the vanilla flavor, in which case it is of the artificial variety. Again, the smell and flavor are consistent, so if you have a chance you will want to take a whiff of the tobacco before purchasing. Mine was a free sample as part of a pipe and accessories purchase and it is not a flavor I would have chosen on my own. Very subjective of course, but AE was not too sweet or too much nicotine for me, prefer more of both, the artificial margarine (vanilla?) flavor is what was disagreeable. There are tobaccos that I don't care for but still return to from time to time but this particular CD offering will not receive any future invitations.

Vendor: Smokingpipes.com; Time between purchase and opening: 1 day; Storage: sample ziplock; Pipe: Dr. Plumb bent brandy with 9mm charcoal filter; Environment: Tropical outdoors, hot rainy season - definitely not an evening in the autumn.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)

It's interesting to read the extremely positive reviews on this blend. It makes me wonder if somehow I managed to end up with a bad tin, as what I received was rather dry and crumbley.

To me the tin note smells like maple syrup slogged onto wet cardboard. Once lit there are some decent, albeit fleetingly mild tobacco flavors and the room note is nice. No tricks here. The maple comes out as the primary top note flavor but only for the first portion of the bowl. Further down the bowl is a where Autumn Evening dissapoints, & I agree about the ashy flavor that seems to dominate at this point.

Altogether this stuff is just okay. Nothing too memorable really. For a good mixture with a touch of maple, I much prefer 4noggin's Essence of Vermont which is of higher quality and much more notable by far.

Huskies4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskies4 (6)

I was excited to try this 4oz sample I bought after all the 4 star reviews. I am a huge Cornell & Diehl fan, so I thought this would be another home run.

There are many excellent reviews already so I will be brief. As far as aromatics this is 3 stars, many offerings from other companies are better. As far as tobacco taste this is 4 stars, but the topping is a bit too much for the quality of tobacco they use. I would rather they use less topping and allow the quality of the tobacco to speak for itself.

The 4 star qualities of this tobacco are many however, this is a great starter tobacco for friends of mine and the room note is pleasant enough to smoke at my favorite pubs/bars. I have a hard time smoking other Cornell & Diehl offerings at the bar due to their unadulterated nature. Definitely worth a try, you will enjoy this tobacco regardless of where you lie on the experience scale.

gandalfthegrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandalfthegrey (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am writing this review as i am smoking this great offering from c&d. I just got this in the post today and was very excited to try it. Now i am a pure latakia junkie and really have no time for aromatics and tongue bite i usually get from them but boy was i surprised with this one. On with the review upon opening the tin i was hit with a very strong maple casing delicate it was not, i thought i was heading down a slippery road! Moisture was fine can do with a little airing out. I grabbed my meer and loaded it up first impressions was a sweet taste from the red va's but not sickly. I can't taste anything chemical at this point and my tongue is fine. Flavor is the same until half of the bowl and the room note very nice the wife was loving it and i was enjoying myself puffing away. And then it hit me pancakes and maple syrup thats what this stuff tastes like wow!!

After the second half all i could taste was a lovely pancake flavor and the sweetness now has died down but ever so gently in the background. Guys try this one out it really does deliver and great for a change of pace look its not complicated but it is what it is. I will be buying more of this just to liven things up. Well done C&d and thank you for this wonderful experience! I felt like a kid again and it brought back some wonderful memories.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

This has been tried three times now and still gives a bitter after- taste of burnt maple and artificial maple at that. I'll try it again, not soon though. There are much better maple aromatics that seem natural without the bitter ending.

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a couple of posts in the ASP news group in a thread discussing Black Cherry Aromatics. I have yet to find a cherry pipe tobacco that even came close to be of any real interest, but a couple of posts mentioned C&D's blend as being a similar to the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's blend at a far cheaper price.

So to make a long story short I called C&D and one of nicest ladies answered the phone who seemed extremely knowledgable about tobacco (turned out it was Patty Tarler) and offered to send me a free sample of their Black Cherry. Since I hadn't called with the intention of getting anything free, I quickly began to check out several of their many other blends while we were chatting. I had her add a tin of tobacco called Autumn Evening which from the description looked much more like a tobacco I might like.

Well, 2 days later the tobacco arrived and I still haven't found that elusive cherry blend, but the Autumn Evening was a very pleasant surprise. The aroma from the tin was of maple, but also of Virginia. It was far too moist to smoke, so I set out enough for several bowls to dry for a while. I think most of us have found that few tobaccos taste anything like they smell in the bag or tin, but when I fired up a bowl in a Dunhill Cumberland, the taste was not only of the maple which seemed to be more in the background, but also of some very good Virginia leaf. Being a Virginia, it will bite, so if you tend to be a fast puffer, take this one slow and enjoy. The only difference I noticed from the top layer of tobacco from that lower in the bowl, was that the maple flavor came through a little stronger in the first half of the bowl.

It didn't burn quite all the way to the bottom of the bowl, but that was probably the result me not letting it dry out further. However, there was no trace of goop in the bottom of the bowl. I don't know if I would call this a full blown aromatic, simply because the flavoring added is not sufficient to mask the taste of the Virginia leaf. So for lack of a better term, I'll just call it a very tasty and enjoyable blend. So if you're a Virginia/Perique smoker such as myself, you might find this one an interesting change of pace.

The Black Cherry? Well I'll smoke a few more bowls, but it seems it may be the case that I was simply predestined never to like cherry flavor tobacco. I may review it later.

F. Prefect

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Revised 05-17-2005 I just can't seem to smoke aromatics anymore so I am downgrading my recommendation. As I mention below, this is a good one if you like aromatics.

Appearance and tin aroma: Dark reddish and brown ribbons and smells like maple.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Surprise! no green cavendish flavor here. Nice red cavendish and maple flavor.

Mid-Bowl: Aaahhh! good flavor from the leaf and casing. Everyone around me loves the room note!

Bottom of bowl: A suprising build up of strength and all that is left is mottled grey ash, very minimal moistness at heel. No bitterness here either.

Overall: In my quest for the perfect aromatic, this one has fit the bill. Hurray for C&D!!! I usually smoke Balkan's, English's and VA's, but for those times where I can't smoke the others, this does quite well. In fact, I was suprised at the nicotine content a few times with this blend. I found that this blend smoked particularly well in a big Meerschaum.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a 1 ounce sample of this with a recent purchase of a Peterson pipe and some favorite tinned tobaccos from Smokingpipes.com. I have read reviews on this but never had the desire to try some, so this sample was a way for me to do so. The small sample had a very maple/buttery smell from the zip lock bag which was very enticing. Its appearance was mostly a darker brown with some black and came as a riff cut to my eyes. Loading and lighting was easy and the maple flavoring was very nice. I did not, however, find this flavoring to be so over the top as many previous reviewers have noted and complained about. For me it was never that strong and although present, always remained in the background. It did have a tendency to nip at the tongue a bit, even with slow puffing. I found the pronounced taste of PG in the mix - not much, but enough to be off-putting for me. It maintained its flavor profile for the most part, but by the lower third it became ashy. It smoked harsh on the throat for me and it did have a fairly noticeable nic presence. The room note was that of cigarettes and tolerable at best. I appreciated the sample, and although not a bad tobacco, not one suited for my personal tastes which would rate 3 stars; however, my personal rating is 2 stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale (Watson from SH Series)

Purchased From: sample from Smokingpipes

When I look at all the added flavorings, I see why I had a little trouble picking them out. There's so many that some crowd out the others. I thought the maple flavor was very tame between it being a light addition, and the number of aforementioned toppings. I got a few whiskey and rum notes, barely any vanilla, no citrus, and a light cavendish and Virginia hit. Burned smooth with no moisture and a fairly consistent taste. It's a nice starter semi-sweet aro for someone looking for a mild blend, but there are stronger maple mixtures if that's what you're looking for, though they may not give you a few of the flavors this one does.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (87)
Mild Extra Strong Mild Very Pleasant

(This review is from an aged bulk sample, so tins may vary to some degree - at least in moisture content and burnability)

Presentation is a dark, somewhat fine cube-cut. Jar note is overwhelmingly sweet and bursting with maple. The maple flavor is so intense as to make the blender's description almost comic ("delicate maple flavor").

That said, this is everything an aromatic should be, and everything the majority of aromatics are not. Takes a light from the beginning - no relights required. Burns well, and burns fast. But it's not overly hot. And burns surprisingly dry for such an obviously heavily flavored tobacco. Best of all, the flavor here, while not complex, is in fact maple. And delicious. With little to no heat. And no tongue bite or chemical taste. Amazing. I was most surprised by the lack of goop or dampness in the pipe after smoking this. It may have had to do with the drier, bulk tobacco. But I still expected some goop in the pipe. I would, however, have to assume that this would ghost a pipe and would be careful about smoking this blend in other than a pipe dedicated to aromatics.

Why more blenders can't seem to figure out how to make aromatics like this is beyond me. For the style, for what it is, absolutely four stars.

Warning: the maple flavor here is intense in the beginning. Almost overwhelming. Syrupy. If you don't like maple, skip this one.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Tastes just like it smells in the can - maple syrup.

I don't love many aromatics but I do love this one. A rich, sweet, smooth tobacco with not a trace of harshness or bite. Has a great smell for bystanders and a cool illustration on the label.

If this is indicitive of the quality of the rest of C&D's tobaccos, I will be smoking them a lot.

As I don't live in the Land of the Free I have had to order this (and others) over the internet from US based tobacconists. All of the companies I've dealt with have been very reasonably priced and quick to dispatch the packages. I've kept the orders small (200-300 grams total weight of tobacco in sealed tins) and had no problems with UK customs.

Making a decent aromatic pipe tobacco is probably the easiest thing for a blender to do. Making a great one is probably the hardest. This one is probably as close to perfection as there is in an aromatic.

This came overly moist in my sampler bag but only required a 10 minute drying period. The bag aroma was wonderfully subdued. I did find the room aroma to be pleasant but it was a little more aromatic than I prefer. As for the flavor, it was delicate but pleasing. I tasted the aromatic agent, but I'm terrible at placing non-tobacco tastes in pipe tobacco. To me, it seemed more like butterscotch than maple, which was fine with me! I found myself wishing that the flavor was richer but that seems to be a tenet of good aromatics. The poor ones are usually the heaviest tasting while the best ones taste of tobacco along with the flavoring agent.

This burned cleanly with no heavy moisture, tasted like sweetened tobacco and did not offend those around me. It never turned sour or bitter down the bowl and it was a satisfying smoke. I'm not the world's most prolific aromatic smoker but I'd like to think I can recognize genius in a blend. For aromatics, this is it, folks. If you love aromatics, this one needs to be part of your next order. Take a huge bow, Craig Tarler! Few have accomplished what you have on this blend.

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)

I bought this blend with high hopes that it would become one of my favorites. I really wanted to enjoy this tobacco, but something about it just turns me off.

As some of the other reviews have said I found this to taste like cigarette smoke with a maple casing. I have not experienced a tobacco like this ever before. Could it be possible that the tin is much better than buying it in bulk? I ordered 1 oz in bulk just to sample the blend, and don't think I will even finish that. The blend does light easily, smoke well with minimal tongue bite, and leaves no goop in the pipe.

Go ahead and try it for yourself as the maple casing may be something you like, but don't have too high of expectations or you may be let down.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)

If you want a good Maple then is it. Although not a big fan of the Maple blends I must admit it is a nice change of pace from time to time. Room note smells like a good cold morning with flapjacks a cooking. Maple is very distinct in the aroma and taste. Burns very well and complete. Doesn't really bite at all either. I rather enjoy this in the morning as a wake up to greet the alarm clock.

Falcon Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Falcon Fan (17)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have found this one to be a great tin to have in the collection, partly becauSe I like it and partly because it seems to "keep" much longer than some, and partly because I love the tin art. The description says "........cased with a delicate maple flavor". I'm not sure it is very delicate or subtle but it is definitely a warm and attractive aroma that follows through consistently into the smoke. Very enjoyable!

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 10 months

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

While not a terribly complex tobacco, this is about as good a commonly available aromatic gets. The first time my wife smelled this as I was smoking it, she said, "ooh, what is THAT?". Add to that the fact that this is one of the best sellers at the B&M my wife and I own, and I'd say it's a real crowd-pleaser, both with smokers and those around them. We have plenty of customers who come back for repeat purchases of this, which is really no surprise. I have a pretty large selection of pipe leaf from which to choose, and often find myself reaching for this when I either can't make up my mind what I want to smoke, or I just want something reliable and tasty. I also haven't noticed any serious ghosting, like some aromatics can cause, although I keep my pipes very clean and rotate among around 4 dozen or so cheap to mid-range pipes. I generally recommend that someone trying a new tobacco give a blend a test-run in a cob pipe first, but I don't have such a worry about this blend. If I could, I'd give this 3.5 stars.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I'm curious as to the name C&D chose for this. Where I live in the U.S., maple syrup is made in February and March, not autumn- the maple syrup is long gone by then at my house. Autumn around here is when the air smells like latakia from the fireplaces and burning leaves.

I happily accepted a free sample of this, being a big fan of the version made at Pipeworks & Wilke. It rather came as a shock that I didn't much like it all that much, even using my dedicated maple pipe, a clay and a new cob. I've been puffing P&W's so long, I suspect that anything different would be off-putting, so don't take this as a condemnation.

The plastic pouch smell does not strike me as maple so much as brown sugar, and when first received I really disliked it. After a month, the topping calmed down to more approachable levels. It's difficult to comment on moisture levels because mine came from bulk, but it lit right up and seems free of glycol. The taste is mild, as expected, barely tasting of tobacco at all until the second half of the bowl. Nicotine seems non-existent. Neither particularly intensify throughout the bowl; the maple (and rum?) as expected, taper off in the bottom half.

She-who-must-be-considered really likes the aroma. When asked, I think she identified the basis of my dissatisfaction: "it smells like vanilla and a campfire burning maple logs." Aha! Not pancakes. This has more of a woody taste and smell. Although still sweet, it is not so much so in flavor. I can see how people might prefer one over the other. If you tried either one and disliked it, try the other.

A cob seems the best venue for this blend, both for taste and character.

I'll still give it three stars for smokers of aromatics, and of course zero for the latakia-only crowd. Me, I prefer the pancakes version of P&W.

Pipe Used: cob!

Age When Smoked: fresh and 1 month

Similar Blends: vtpipes.com Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (56)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent. If you are looking for a good solid Aromatic this is a good one. It's billed as Red Va Cav but reminds me of soft burley. Pleasant smell and smoke. I get more out of it than Maple. I got the Vanilla and taste of a sweet whisky. I can see why this is a best seller for C&D.

Recommended for an all day smoke or special time to relax on the porch after a meal.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Highlander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Highlander (5)

I received a sample of Autumn Evening included in an order. I liked the smell and tried it with no preconceptions. I was stunned. I have a problem with tongue bite from some Virginias, but I get only the mildest tingle from Autumn Evening. I have smoked it a bit wet and need to dry it a bit more, but, even wet, it burns to fine ash. The flavor is mild with just a hint of a spicier note. I was so impressed that I ordered a large container.

It could easily become my go-to tobacco. I look forward to drier smokes and a bit of aging.

Pipe Used: Various

bebartelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bebartelt (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The description I found indicates that this tobacco "actually tastes the same as it smells". As a new pipe smoker, this was a huge draw. This is the first tobacco for me that actually lives up to that standard. I will most certainly be ordering more and if you like aromatics, I heartily encourage you to do the same.

As for defining the flavor, I leave that to those with more refined palates than mine. All I can say is I found the maple enjoyable, and the flavor itself conjured a cool "Autumn Evening" even though it was smoked in late July.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Delivery

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sweet overtone, but a dry - almost harsh smoking tobacco. Was slightly bitter throughout. Wished for it to be a little more sweet, since I was in the mood for an aromatic. Basically not anywhere near a quality aromatic like Boswell's can blend. The room note was pretty much cigarette-like. I was not sad when the bowl pretty much came to an end...this was a 1oz free sample from Smokingpipes. Unfortunately I have an unopened tin too. Hopefully it somehow tastes better than the little baggie sample...

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat

Age When Smoked: Sample (fresh?)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes online

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (172)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is claimed as a heavy aromatic, full of taste, full of flavour

Really it have a lot of Maple flavour, bu mainly in the Room notes... The taste and flavour remains in the Room, in the Pipe, in the hands, but not muck in mouth or in the smoke...!

In the smoke... it becomes almost tasteless, but good

Also, it is strong in Nicotine for a typical aromatic.

4 stars, very good, but not will amasing for people that not like aromatics.

rockcandy85 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rockcandy85 (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What are sitting there reading this review for? Head on over to Cornellanddiehl.com and buy a tin of this stuff! I tried this out a year ago and it's become one of my all-time favorites. The first few smokes weren't anything to write home about, but around the 3rd bowl of it, i was hooked. The moment it meets my senses I'm walking through the maple forests of Vermont on a cool fall afternoon, bundled up in my flannel and testing the drips in the trees. I like tobaccos that take you somewhere. This one freakin' teleports you immediately to your fondest memory of an "Autumn Evening". If you like aromatics, you'll love this one. Give it time. Finish the tin. I guarantee you'll be back for more. It's just a matter of time........

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I needed a good aromatic while visiting my Dad and his wife. This did the trick. Recommended by a pipe shop in Carmel, CA, you could immediatley detect the maple casing when you opened the tin, which eventually ended up in my step-mother's hands as an aromatherapy device. It has an admirable aroma, but the casing is sometimes overpowering and can get a little boring. Also, it is not the cleanest smoke on the market. Very decent for an aromatic.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Since autumn's about to come on, I felt it was time to start firing up some maple tobacco on these nice cooler Indiana evenings.

This was my first go on Autumn Evening. Honestly I found the tin note overwhelming, lol. Warm butter. The taste is not nearly as strong, actually it seems like about an even mix of flavoring taste and tobacco taste. Slow draws are best. These bring out maple, butter, and sometimes cinnamon. I like that others sharing the aerosphere can enjoy the scent while I can still enjoy tasting tobacco rather than pure candy, and there's just enough nicotine here -- a characteristic that I find most aromatics devoid of. My tin was uncharacteristically moist for a C&D offering, so about normal moisture level then, heh. I recommend letting it air dry for about an hour before loading up. Did not find any goop or gurgle and bite was none using good technique. A fine product IMO. I for one appreciate C&D's reluctance or refusal to hose their tobaccos with PG or any other gakky goop. Your waffles are ready!

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)

This is no doubt one of the finest aromactic's available. My taste mostly takes me down the lux. English blend line, but after a recommendation from a gentleman at the local B&M, I gave this ago, and boy I'm glad I did. The quality of the leaf is superb, packs well, burns well, and delivers a rich wanderful smoke that turns everyones head. I found 0 tongue bite and the maple to taste to be just right. I will no doubt have many tins of this packed away for that every once in awhile change up from my everyday. Another fine job by C&D!!!!

SandSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SandSquid (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my current favorite while listening to a chapter of a audiobook before retiring for the evening.

The smell in th ecan reminds me of a visit to a real NH Sugar Shack and enjoying leather aprons, a candy made by taking a ladle of hot syrup from the boil throwing out the window into a pile of snow.

Getting a good light takes three or four attempts but once lit I tend to smoke the entire bowl to the bottom without tamping or relighting. More out of forgetfulness than anything else. I just cose my eyes listen to my book and puff and relax.

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)

I really like this stuff. It's maple flavor has mellowed over the year I've had it, and it's now perfect in my opinion. Hell, when I first smoked it new it was like smoking a stack of pancakes.

As you go along, the tobacco strengthens and becomes a little spicy, which I think is both groovy AND nifty, perhaps even swell.

Pipe tobacco names can be quite funny. I don't know what this has to do with Autumn or evening, I'm going to buy some more. You should try it.

Redyserve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redyserve (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I just got back into pipe smoking after a three year break. I have been smoking some lower end bulk tobaccos from a local shop. I stopped in the other day figured I would pick up something in a tin, I have read so many good reviews about AE. I got home popped open the tin and was very pleased, I did let it dry about 15min before packing it. It lit very easy and, stayed lit. Some wetness in the bottom of the bowl but, not to bad. Very pleasant taste and, room note. This is one that I will keep around.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love this stuff, sometimes I just like to open the jar and smell it and then smoke something else. I think it is one of the better aromatics out there. I have to exhale through my nose in order to taste it at times, but it is spectacular when I haven't been smoking much, this way I can really catch the flavor. This blend for me will always bring back memories of smoking in my college apartment during the fall with the sliding glass door open! It intermingles so well with those fall smells of leaves, smoke coming from peoples chimneys in the air, and of coarse pumpkin spice candles that some girl brought into the bachelor pad, haha! It is quite the mild blend and the toping is not to wet which I like, unfortunately it doesn't smoke quite as good as it smells, but it is tasty none the less!

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (32)

I had a tin of this sitting around for about a year, so I thought I would finally give it a try. When I opened the tin, it revealed loose, coarse cut tobacco that had brown and black tones with hues reminiscent of chocolate. Even before I could see this blend, I could smell it when I popped the top. All things that can be coated deliciously with maple syrup came to mind. My mind bounced between French toast, pancakes, and maple cured bacon as I took in the scent. The tobacco was slightly moist to the touch as I packed the bowl, and an unlit sip of the pipe tasted of light maple syrup.

As a matter of fact, that is all I got from this blend, a light maple syrup flavor from the charring light to the bottom of the bowl. The finish was long on this blend, and my taste buds felt like I had just eaten French toast and maple syrup for up to an hour after smoking. I actually had the urge to wash my beard, as if it had syrup stuck in the whiskers. This blend did leave a goopy mess in the bottom of a couple of my briars, but overall it generally left clean ash. The room note was a pleasant maple aroma that had toasty undertones.

Overall, I like Autumn Evening. It is a good mild smoke, with a very mild casing that is pleasing to my taste buds. This will not make it into my regular rotation, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at another tin.

misterdub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
misterdub (2)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This was a nice blend. I'm relatively new to pipe tobacco and come from this as a former cigarette smoker and longtime cigar smoker. I like the blend and so far, in my limited experience, this is one of the few blends that truly tastes like it smells.

That said, it's true to it's description and very maple flavored. At first, coming from a background of natural tobaccos it was a bit overpowering to have to the tobacco flavored like something else. The maple was very strong but it grew on me. My wife, who is very used to my cigars and natural tobaccos, didn't like the whole room "smelling like pancakes." She actually prefers the room note of a non- aromatic blend. For the most part, so do I.

I don't want to rate this too low because I did enjoy it for it was. I'm just finding that aromatics, as a whole, aren't my thing. There are some exceptions but this one was just too flavored for me. If you like maple, and you have non-smokers who don't appreciate full-strength room notes, this is an excellent blend. It burned cleanly to a fine grey ash and didn't leave anything in the bottom of my pipe. So it's recommended with the above caveats.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After trying several bowls of this stuff, i found that it is truly one of the rare blends that tastes exactly as it smells. Very delightful and more than just pleasant. I found myself wanting more of its sweet maple flavor and medium bodied smoke that is delicious to say the least. Even the nicotine content kept me interested throughout the entire bowl. Not a bad blend and could easily include this into my daily rotation of aromatics, price is good too. Four stars for this blend because i could smoke it all day.

Judge Adams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Judge Adams (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

You don't have to wait for autumn or for the evening, although the name evokes pipesmokers' heavenly time of year. This blend is satisfying any time of the day in any season. It is a simple recipe: high quality red virginia and a unique casing. Others describe it as maple, but I think it is more like creme brulee.It is packed so tightly in the can that it almost has to be dug out with a shovel. It maintains just the right moisture level for many months. Burns like a high quality English, leaving a wisp of white ash. And the aroma is delightful. It is not complex: If you like the taste and smell you can smoke it forever; it does not change. I have a tendency to smoke too much of this blend too often--and after I wait awhile I return. It is an intimate smoke. It creates a warm, pleasant atmosphere and is just right for reading or walking. The picture on the can is cute and cozy. This has been described as the best aromatic ever. I agree.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this as part of my current re-immersion into aromatics. While I have tried many aros over the years -- most of which were unremarkable or worse -- I decided to restrict my current lot to some samples from C&D, who produce many of the best blends on the planet. If anyone can produce an aro I would like, I reasoned, it would be Craig Tarler.

Bingo. Autumn Evening is what DK refers to as a "genius" blend, with a sublte, sweet topping that is interesting, familiar and flavorful but not cloying and artificial. It's a "natural" aromatic, if there is such a thing, although the Virginia flavor recedes deeply into the background. It smokes cool and dry down to a fine, light ash. I can't imagine how an aro smoker would not like this. For me, it's a refreshing change of pace and a pleasant way to rest my tastebuds after smoking more strident blends.

It arrives fairly moist, so let it dry a bit before loading.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)

Some undefinable aspect of this blend is extraordinarily comforting and pleasing to me, so bear that in mind. I was biased the moment I lit it up. As numerous people have noted, this is one of those few elite aromatics that tastes the way it smells. And what a taste it is! Autumn Evening captures the spirit of maple syrup; it is deeply sweet and luscious - hedonistic, even - without being cloying. There is not a lot of forward tobacco flavor here, but this is not a thin aromatic.The VA flavor is far in the background, but its structure plays a role throughout the bowl, and is unmistakable in its authority. This is a beautiful smoke. Very smooth, very little bite, and warm and comforting as a maple wood fire in a Vermont fireplace. If you like straight tobacco and you have a sweet tooth once in a while - and you like pancakes with maple syrup - try this.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very nice maple aromatic. Probably the best of the C&D aromatics. Not flavored on the usual black cavendish, but it has some real colored tobaccos. Maple is one of my favorite flood flavors, so this biases me, but if you want to try C&D aro's start with this one.

guerillagorilla Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guerillagorilla (4)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

Of all the tobaccos that I have tried, Autumn Evening is by far my favorite. It truly is the perfect blend to smoke on an Autumn evening whilst sitting by the fire. However I do smoke it year round. The maple taste is very strong, yet there is no hint of the artificial "chemical" flavor that accompanies most flavored blends. The room note is probably the best of any tobacco I've had. I cannot recommend this blend enough.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)

Boy...great aromatic! If you're looking for a mellow, sweet-smelling aromatic you can do worse than Autumn Evening. Despite what it says on the can, I don't taste any maple whatsoever (I'll leave that to Town Topic), but I do get a really nice buttery caramel flavor. The tobacco itself seems pretty nice for an aromatic--moist but not at all sticky or wet. I get so tired of aromatics that are so sticky you could tar a road with them.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the first dive I have taken into aros in quite a while. Now I see why C&D tend to be so popular amongst aro smokers. This is good quality stuff. The topping as I smoke it reminds me a great deal of that old 1980's kids cereal that was made to taste and look like waffles. I like that. It's like this is an adult pleasure with a kid's light hearted touch. The red VA's aren't all that noticeable on first light, you just get a big wallop of the topping, but the tobacco begins to show up and shine through at mid bowl. You can tell they used quality ingredients all the way through. It smokes cool and with out drama. No bite, no goo or sludge in the bowl. In a world of only aros it gets 3.5 stars. In the wide world of pipe tobacco it is a solid 3.

DBE1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBE1 (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first tobacco I tried, that I liked. I recommend it to new smokers or those looking for a mild aromatic.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)

Not a big fan of the maple casing. I also found this blend to be a bit bitter too. It smells nice in the tin and the room note is pleasant enough but, it's not my cup of tea. I tried and tried to like this one and smoked about 5 bowls before giving up on it.

I had been fascinated by the reviews of this blend so far; my last experience with a maple-flavoured blend had been far less than satisfying, but being a friend of maple syrup as such, I was willing to give it another try as a topping.

Opening the tin reminded me of first opening a bottle of vintage Canadian maple syrup I got as a gift; the aroma that greeted me was very much alike -- and much unlike the maybe most famous maple-flavoured blend in the world.

The leaf is somewhat dry compared to what I am used to, but that is OK, it fills and lights easily with a single char and then keeps burning gently down to the very end. The cut is rather thin and short, so this 'baccy works well even in small bowls; I have been smoking it in corn cobs a lot, and it works great with those.

Not having the strength I am used to from the other C&D offerings I have had the pleasure to try thus far, this still is is top notch leaf; the flavour lasts throughout the bowl, the room note is beautiful, and once again the only detracting factor is the high price of this beauty in Europe.

Recommended for the aromatics afficionados and those seeking something different; highly recommended to all those who still think Rum&Maple is tobacco so they can actually taste some. And I find that for once, C&D have captured the feeling of the tobacco experience in its name.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am primarily an Aromatic smoker - with an occasional Burley on the menu - and I must say that C&D's Autumn Evening is top notch! Here's a tobacco blend that burns smoothly with little or no bite. The casing is there but I want it there and it's a great tasting caramel/maple note that pleases me and anyone else within sniffing distance. Stays lit very well with little or no dottle. Reminds me a bit of Evening Stroll, which I also love.

If you like aromatics, give this a try!

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

After test smoking several back to back bowls of this supurb blend, I can truly recommend it. The wonderful maple aroma, along with the high quality Red Virginia Cavendish are outstanding. By far the best aromatic maple blend out there.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked and enjoyed several "premium" maple flavored aromatics. I am not referring to any over-the-counter brands that are so familiar. The premium maple aromatics I have experienced are all excellent. However, I will say that Autumn Evening is my favorite. The maple is delicate but you know it is there. Those around me like the aroma. I love the taste and aroma. Most of all, it is the Red Virginia Cavendish that does it for me. This provides an excellent base tobacco flavor along with that wonderful maple aroma and flavor. If you want a satisfying Virginia tobacco flavor along with excellent burning qualities and a taste you don't tire of, this is one of the best investments you will ever make in a premium aromatic. Not at all over done. It is premium tobacco and a perfectly balanced aromatic. I give it four stars. I smoke it in my daily rotation of aromatics, flakes and other non-aromatics. It has a permanent place among my favorite daily tobacco choices.

UPDATE: 09/11/2009 I find this to also be a wonderful Mixer. For example, I use the following formula on a regular basis: 3 parts Two Friends Heritage, 2 parts Riverboat Gambler and 1 part Autumn Evening. It is a superb smoke and I call it Pot O' Gold.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an elusive tobacco for me to acquire but I finally found one lone can in Jerusalem after some time of searching. It came highly recommended if you liked the pancake syrup thing and I was destined to try it. I liked the smell as I opened the tin and the smoke changes from pretty good to I'll never buy another can of this again. My family hasn't enjoyed it immensely but it seems that their opinion varies depending on the pipe I smoke it of. The only other maple tobacco I can compare it too is Pipeworks out of Vermont and after all that's maple syrup country.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the stangest textured tobacco I have ever touched. It feels like wet fine lether. It feels as though it would be too wet to smoke. Not so. It is pefext as it comes. It smells like IHOP on a Sunday morning after church (Maple surup?) but tastes like good old tobacco in the pipe. You will win friends an perhaps even infuence people if you smoke this in public. Heck, bees may even chase you, it smells that good. All in all this is a great change of smoke that should be well received by natural and perfume puffer alike.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm usually no fan of aromatics. The number of them that I really like is exactly two, and this is one of them. This is a subtle aromatic, not dripping in slop like too many of them are. It packs beautifully, smells fantastic, and lights easily, staying so right to the end.

I read a few reviews where some said that it got bitter, that the maple casing overwhelmed the VA taste and all, but I just don't understand those remarks. Personally, I disagree with them.

I did what I never thought I would, and that is to buy 1-1/2 pounds of Autumn Evening to cellar. Here's why: while the room note will be enjoyed by likely most everyone, I like it! It smells like being in a Cracker Barrel during winter with a fire burning. And, for my two cents, the base of Red Cav shows a pedigree of wonderful VA's, and the maple flavoring in no way diminishes this. You can taste the maple, but only as a complement to the beautiful VA's.

So, for what to me is a delightful change of pace, I really recommend this. I can't give it four stars (although to me, it is for an aromatic) but it is a mid-three.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Like a better version of Tinderbox's 1928, Autumn Evening does what a typical flavored tobacco does: taste like the flavor. The tobacco taste is hidden beneath the flavoring, and that is one reason I'm not overly fond of flavored blends. However, the flavoring and room note are both very pleasant and are suited for Christmastime. It's a mild maple like taste, but isn't like putting maple syrup in your pipe, it's much more subtle. Unlike many no-name or cheap brands, this blend isn't drenched in propylene glycol, so, although it may impart the flavouring into your pipe, it won't weatherproof it.

I did age some of this for a while, and it didn't do well. The Virginias tasted great, but the flavoring seemed to have broken down and had an ill taste to it.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I usually cannot finish a bowl of any aromatic as I have no acquired taste for flavorings. That being said, I found the taste of this blend to be somewhat addictive and I have used a small amount of this as a subtle flavoring when added to a straight burley. This is the ONLY aromatic I actually can smoke.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The world is divided into those who like this and those who don't. I liked it, and I agree with much of what has been said in the favorable reviews. I didn't expect the tin note to include pancakes. Maple, yes, but my Grandma Bee's pancakes? She served them with a burnt sugar syrup. Made from scratch, the pancakes and the syrup. You can't get that at IHOP.

Mvardjan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mvardjan (6)

At first light the maple really comes out of this blend. Room notes of the sweet maple smell are undeniable. For as aromatic as it is the flavor is smooth, mellow and not over powering. Great to smoke if your moving from a smoky English or Virginia to a sweet aromatic. Pleasant and enjoyable!

Gran Grifón Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gran Grifón (9)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. Highly recommended for veteran and (over all) novice pipesmokers. Is one of the few aromatics that tastes exactly like it smells. I´d also recommend to the English mixtures lovers who wants to try a full aromatic mixture. The practical inexsistence of tongue bite is a plus for this blend. Unfortunately it´s difficult to get in Europe.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent aromatic.Stays lit and keeps its flavor all the way to the bottom,wich is hard to find in most aromatics.Very smoothe and flavorfull with no bite.This is my first time trying a C&D tobacco and will be trying more for sure.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)

This is the only pipe tobacco that I smoke in the main house because the pleasing aroma adds so much character to an otherwise typical atmosphere. The tobacco smokes well, doesn't bite, stays lit, and is a pleasure to smoke. I don't believe there is a better aromatic on the market with all of those qualities.

QuietMoments Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
QuietMoments (7)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I found his a bit disappointing. I am an aromatic smoker (maybe I should say a smoker of aromatics?) but I found this to be a disappointing flavour. I also found, despite the notes on the tin and comments elsewhere, that it was not so smooth - it prickled my throat unpleasantly. I guess I am a woos when it comes to strength too - it was not overpowering but too strong.I gave up after half a bowl-full. Tried it a couple of months ago, and had the same reaction, so the rest of the tin is going into that deep draw of failed experiments. I think I'll save the maple syrup for my pancakes.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I can't imagine that there's anything more difficult than pleasing part-time aromatic smokers, slumming Virginiaphiles, freeloading Latakia-lovers. I know that because I'm part of that crowd and I often wag my unblistered tongue to say, in consternation, "Why can't anybody make a nice aromatic that doesn't make you feel like you've just spent an hour with your tongue down the throat of a crocodile with a terminal case of the sneezes?" Hot-burning aromatics make me feel vulnerable in front of my pipes--so vulnerable that I've gone to filtered pipes whenever the urge for a little sweetness gets my nose a-twitchin'.

All of this (or at least some of it) is why I'm so happy to have met C&D's Autumn Evening this very autumn evening. Composed of nothing more than cavendish-treated red Virginias and a thoroughly enjoyable maple essence, this is an aromatic with the smoking qualities of a non-aromatic. On opening the tin, which is dated from just a few months back, I actually found the top tobaccy to be a little on the dry side. Heck, it would take Captain Black six months in front of a dehumidifier to reach that very smokeable level of moisture.

I'm not sure that the soldiers of the aromatic brigade (like the fellow I met at Iwan Ries a couple of years back who said, "I only smoke that Cherry Cavendish") would find much to like in this blend. The maple flavor, at least when compared to some of the more intense aromatics, might seem just a little too muted. But for those gentle souls who have always viewed dipping into an aromatic as a gateway to full-blown, dungeon-dwelling masochism, well...this might be a good place to start.

bostonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bostonsmoker (6)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is great! a nice maple aroma, a bit on the strong side though, but other than that is a nice smoke!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this blend to be very mild and just plain bland. The maple aroma was there but it just did'nt translate into the smoke at all. The further down the bowl the blander it got. I will still try other maple aromatics but this one was a turnoff.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This review is about the tinned version. The maple casing is artificial. First part of the bowl is more or less smokable, second part is horrid. Be careful that you don't ruin your pipe. When you are looking for a maple tobacco there are far better choices (e.g. Essence of Vermont, 4noggins).

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First of all I would like to state that I am no longer a fun of flavored, or at least of all flavored. THEOSMOKE and I had a box of this blend in our cupboard. I was not in the mood of opening it. THEOSMOKE insisted. I opened it. The biggest surprise I have had in the past few years. Splendid aroma. I can now distinguish that it is MARPLE SYRUP. Dry. It only contains RED VIRGINIA (which provides an incredible sweetness) and not even a trace of BLACK CAVENDISH. Mature taste. Although it is flavoured, I was not disturbed by any coughing; no tongue biting ruined my mood. Moreover the aroma does not flatten the natural flavour of tobacco and it offers a sufficient dose of nicotine. It can be smoked dry up to the last level of the bowl, leaving behind pure ash, an indication of its natural sweetening and flavouring. The most important difference compared to the other flavoured tobaccos is that IT PRESERVES ITS MATURE TASTE DURING THE WHOLE BOWL. My wife is cheering. At last the house smells nice again. She probably did not like the ORIENTALS and the LATAKIAS and she was just being nice.

scottf345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottf345 (10)

Maple syrup indeed. At first sniff and first light this blend scared me. I thought it was going to be one of those over the top aromatics. I was suprised when the real tobacco taste came through. Virginia's that are smooth and without bite. This isn't something thats in the starting line up for me, but when you consider the genre that it's in. It really is a fine blend.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

I will try and not repeat what has already been written. I originally tried a couple of bowls of this from a trade and I'm glad that I did. This stuff is truly delicious!!

Again, make sure that you dry it thoroughly as it makes a ton of difference when it comes to taste and room note. To me, after drying this the maple taste and room note seems to last a lot longer. Extremely smooth and light. Great for an evening smoke right before bed.

Another solid blend from C & D.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have found my favorite aromatic(so far). It does burn a little hot but I love this Maple flavor. smells wonderful and leaves you with a taste like you just had a stack of pancakes. Also,I do not know why but I always want to read some Edgar Allan Poe while enjoying this wonderful smoke. Bravo, Cornell and Diehl,bravo.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If you like aromatic blends that also taste like good tobacco, Autumn Evening is worth a try. If you happen to love red Virgiania leaf in particular, this blend is quite stimulating. If you avoid Cavendish-based blends because they smoke wet, turn bitter and taste like they were made by Monsanto, you might very well like Autumn Evening. AE, and P&W 191 Honey-Vanilla, are just about the only aromatic Cavendish blends I find irresistible. Easily a fuller-flavored blend that can be enjoyed all day long and keep you moderately nic-buzzed. Really something different in my book.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a luxurious, richly flavored -- and flavorful -- blend. Not sticky or overly moist.

Since much has been said already, I'll just note that I found the initial bowls to be delicious (and I am only rarely an aromatic smoker). But it is a constant, unwavering experience from beginning to end. While I can't hold that against it, it ended up boring me before I'd finished the 2oz. sample.

If you love the first bowlful -- and the maple, with vanilla undertones, can be very appealing -- just be aware that every subsequent bowl will deliver the exact same experience. Personally, I like more development through the course of a smoke.

csimser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
csimser (7)
Very Mild Strong Mild Strong

I have not smoked aromatics for at least 25 years. I evolved through an English stage to my current (last 10 years or so) fascination with straight Virginias and VA/Perique blends.

With all that said, I was given a sample of Autumn Evening by the C&D folks at the March 06 NYC Pipe Show. After smoking several bowls, I still do not like aromatics, and never will again, I fear ... but I do recognize the quality of the tobaccos employed and what C&D is trying to do; raise the level of quality and production on a traditional aromatic blend.

I imagine an aromatic lover will really enjoy this blend - as for me, I give it one star for flavor and an additional star for quality.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I usually smoke Latakia blends, but I do enjoy several aromatics. There is a strong following for this blend on ASP and I guess I was expecting more.

To me it seemed heavily cased and a little wet, which seems to be at odds with most reviewers. I have Consolidated's Maple aromatic, and it seems very similar, though less wet and more "natural" which probably means more VAs and less Black Cavendish and burly.

My impression is not, "C&D has created a whole new class of aromatics" as I heard some say, and more like, "C&D has a maple."

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

There's been such a great "buzz" about this blend in pipe circles,so I thought I'd give it a try.Let me start by saying that my regular smoke is Dunhill's 965 and that I lean towards full english's and oriental's.I do however enjoy cavendish's and other aromatics from time to time.I don't however enjoy this one! Autumn Eve. is an extremely boring blend of cased Va's and black cav.It has a bland flavor which hint's at the maple casings.Be warned also that it "gunks up" a pipe terribly,and one should be dedicated to it if you enjoy this blend.I expected sooo much more and was disapointed completely.Possibly those who enjoy "Half and Half" would like this,as it's equally flavorless! Pass This By! prep 10-29-04 ===UPDATE=== I have recently tried this blend in a meer and then in a clay churchwarden with suprisingly good results!It did'nt carry the "goopiness" with it as it did when smoked in a briar.I was also able to enjoy the flavor more throughly.It's not something I'd smoke daily or even weekly,but it was'nt as bad as previously reviewed either.I imagine it's the sort of thing I'll occasionaly smoke in my Zenith x-mas pipes in front of the fireplace this winter.... Upgraded to Decent. prep

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Autumn Evening is simply a nice smoke for probably two clans of pipers. The aficionado of light aromatics will likely love this one, a lot ... and the smoker of robust mixtures, when facing a crowd locals armed with aerosol cans will appreciate having this handy as a plea-bargain blend. The latter can smoke it without the overwhelming Yuk of heavy casing or the goopy coal-tar effect in his favorite pipe. To its' credit, I would put it well ahead of 95% of the aromatics I've ever tried so I'll split the difference and sign on for two stars just for that reason alone.

Tiger

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with pipestud and preppypipe. This tobacco is a complete disappointment, especially compared to the excellent maple cavendish sold by Pipeworks and Wilke.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

While waiting upon the full review promised above, I thought I'd go ahead and share my own impressions of Autumn evening. Bland, mild, no nocotine kick. I do think I detected some sort of flavoring - although Maple would not have been my first guess. A real winner for light aromatic fans.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

As an aromatic connoisseur I found this tobacco to be very weak in taste, very little nicotine and the flavoring was just barely a hint of Maple. I guess I should have read the description a little closer for it says it right on their package "cavendish cased with a delicate maple flavor. An exceptionally smooth aromatic"

This would be a great tobacco for someone who is starting to become a Pipe Smoker or one who wants to switch over to an aromatic. As for myself this aromatic was a little too smooth.

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits) In the tin this was a mix of light and dark brown ribbons. This smells like sweet maple syrup at the pancake house with a little hint of tobacco leaf in the background. The first few times I tried this blend all I got was a hot, ashy smoke. Which was upsetting, based on previous reviews and most of all the tin note. After a few more smokes I've discovered that this tin does have some maple flavour, but it is very mild and more of a synthetic 'Aunt Jemima' taste. I had to gently sip this blend to get the flavour out. Anything more and this became a steamy, flavourless smoke. Slow smoking, good packing and this can provide a mild, sweet, mapley experience, but it's a little too much work for such minimal rewards for me.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob; Estate Red Dot Briar

Age When Smoked: New/Fresh

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have to disagree with those who claim that the taste is like maple syrup--more like maple extract. And yes, I was in the mood for pancakes afterwards because of the wonderful aroma. I made it through two tins, but then I got a slight peppermint taste. Perhaps the extract coming through? Since the fine folks at Cornell and Diehl's are only about an hour away, I really wanted to give this a higher rating. I plan to try more of their products as experience has shown that a company usually cannot be judged by one blend alone.

Pipe Used: Savenelli Roma

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely love this blend. I love all flavors of maple, coffee, pumpkin pie, caramel, and all things autumn. This blend delivers and doesn't fade away. Though your own taste may vary from mine, I don't feel this casing is overly sweet. Just right by my reckoning. I find myself reaching for this more than any other. The tin note matches the taste and that's always good in my book.

ACSilver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACSilver (2)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Compared to reviews...my order must have been a bad batch..I prefer aromatics and this was blah...I do have to say that I was expecting the maple pancakes aromatic as others spoke about but have yet to smell anything from this one ounce "baggy" that I got from the vendor..

Pipe Used: Maqueen Cherry Wood Churchwarden

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (76)
Medium Very Strong Medium Very Strong

Smells like maple syrup. Pleasant enough Virginia base but the diacetyl butter flavouring has a sickly smell to me. Like some people I have the same response to microwave popcorn. If that smell is agreeable to you, then knock yourself out.

Purchased From: Sample via smokingpipes.com

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Now thats maple, i have smoked maple street by sutllif, latham circle by hearth and home and maple gold by C&D and found all of them to be lacking in maple flavoring. The only other blend i have smoked with similar flavor intensity was rum and maple by sutliff tobacco galleria line and that blend although being decent in price and a bit more mellow, have the tendency to loose its maple beyond half the bowl. Autumn evening however maintain what it have to offer throughout the bowl even if not in the same power. Its a virginia so sip it and enjoy. Moisture is perfect and combustion is excellent, room note is acceptable by many and no tongue bite for me. Its a different aromatic than what the american market usually offer (reminds me of blue note by dan tobacco with a major lean toward the maple/butterscotch taste rather than fruity citrusy profile of blue note). Highly recommended indeed. If you are after an aromatic go for it, if not leave it alone and dont scare the others (my only criticism on this blend is that i wish it has more maple to it, its that much good flavor)

Pipe Used: Briars

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

As far as aromatics go this is a pretty good blend. If there's on thing Cornell & Diehl always gets right its the quality of their blends. There is no Chemical taste to this blend. That being said there's not much taste at all. Right off the bat you get a nice maple taste when lighting but it seems like shortly after that all the casing burns off and leaves the flavorless, bland, cavandish. I would give it one star but the high quality of Cornell & Diehl leaves this tobacco with a very pleasant room note, cool even burn and no tongue bit. Though bland, unsatisfying, and disappointing.

FireintheBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireintheBriar (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Disclaimer! Autumn Evening (AE) would be my first Aromatic pipe tobacco experience. The tin note is quite pleasing. I was a cigar aficionado before my pipe conversion, so I place a small hygrometer in the tin of new pipe tobaccos, most are about 70% - 75% Relative Humidity (RH), AE was 75% RH. The tobacco felt very moist to the touch so I smoked AE after setting it in my tin drying box for 30 minutes, this brought the RH down to 65%. These relative humidity figures are just for my own comparison and contrast compulsions, nothing real scientific is going on. The taste was decent, I could detect maple and whisky, but none of the other claimed flavors; no citrus or fruity vibes.

I would say that the blenders at Cornell & Diehl hit their mark, it tastes sweet. It does not hearken my soul to an autumn evening, but it is a pleasant tasting tobacco that did not burn my tongue and AE did not give me a nicotine rush. Good delivery, but I think I will stick to the English blends. I am sure this tin of AE will make me a fast friend when I give it to someone who prefers aromatics.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I don't smoke aromatics often, and that is because I never get a good taste out of it. This blend seemed the same to me. Just an opinion but here's some detail from other views.

The strength was very light, which is expected and enjoyable if your reaching for this kind of blend. The flavoring was pretty good. It was a very maple/brown sugar casing that C & D very much pulled off. The room note was incredible. It would make even the non smoker want a puff.

The blend was very cool, for almost the entire smoke, until the end in which the casing seem to burn a bit hot. The only reason I don't give this 4 stars, is because of the lack of taste. Which I admit, is very hard to achieve. If you are an aromatic smoker, that is looking for a crowd please. Please enjoy this blend.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)

Ah! Pancakes and maple syrup! Enjoyable.

I am a devotee of pancakes, maple syrup and ice-cream! This tobacco is pleasant to my palate, nice in the room, but (regrettably) lacks ice-cream as it comes from C&D!! The sugars/flavouring are nicely "maple" without being over-the-top. Nice on the back-patio (and, back-palate) in the deepening twilight. As with any 'gentle' tobacco, don't force it otherwise it may bite unpleasantly!

Pipe Used: Gr2 & 3

Preacher Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Preacher Pipes (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought a few ounces of this last fall in bulk form after reading so many good comments about it. I smoked only half an ounce or so and was very disappointed with it: It had an awesome room note but there was a "metallic" taste that was just awful to it and I couldn't stand to smoke it. Knowing it was mostly a VA blend, I decided to jar and revisit it after some time passed: A good decision it turns out!

After about 8 months aging in a Mason jar, the metallic taste was gone and I got the nice maple flavor that "everyone" raved about ... finally! The room note, as I said, is really one of the most pleasant of any blend I've tried. And now that the "edge" has been taken off of it by some cellar time it is a very nice, enjoyable smoke, great for the fall season, IMHO.

I know that most aromatics don't improve with age but this one was a definite exception to that rule. Perhaps buying it tinned would avoid the taste I experienced, I don't know. But if you try this blend, and I recommend you do, and it isn't quite "right" it will benefit from cellaring.

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)

Interesting tobacco. Open the tin and it smelled like I just walked into a waffle house. Seemed a bit dry in the tin, but when I packed it there was the spring back as if it had proper moisture. Room note was good. Taste seemed hit or miss for me. I will admit I was smoking it while hunting and it was a bit breezy out so I was spending more time trying to protect the pipe from the wind then studying the taste. I think I need to give it a few more chances. I will work through the tin, and then decide if I should buy more.

bostonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bostonsmoker (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend doesnt taste like it smells. The maple note when smelled i very nice but you dont get any of it when smoked. When smoked you get a strong nutty taste from the red virginias. I do get that ashy taste about half way through the bowl and I'm sipping it. For anyone who can tolerate strong tastes and notes then this is a good morning smoke. I wouldnt recommend this to new smokers.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Big Maple Flavor, but it's a little Sweet

aktour2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aktour2000 (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Bowl after bowl, and never a let down. The tin note was very sweet, and since I have a sweet tooth, knew this was right up my alley. Ordered 16 oz to cellar and let it age to see if it helps, or harms. As Siskel and Ebert used to say, I give it two thumbs up.

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I like the occasional aromatic, but I'm not a great lover of aromatics. I think this is one of the reasons that I enjoy Autumn Evening so much and, conversely, why some folks dislike it: It doesn't really tickle the parts that true lovers of aromatics desire to be tickled, but it is, unabashedly and undeniably, an aromatic. So, if you're looking for the next "Middle Earth" or "Blue Note" (two of the best aromatics ever made, IMHO), then Autumn Evening won't do it for you. But if you're after an eloquent Virginia then the heavy casing will turn you right off.

Autumn Evening gives us a very pleasant VA that is, nevertheless, very heavily cased in a strong (I don't know why the CD people characterize it as "delicate"--there's nothing delicate about it) flavor. The casing is delicious and it lasts to the bottom of any sized bowl I've ever tried this in. The natural VA background remains throughout. And the nicotine is delightfully present from beginning to end. And SWMBO enjoys the aroma. What more could one ask for?

Despite its name, I enjoy Autumn Evening on cool mornings. The pancake flavor coupled with the undeniable nicotine hit make it a fine smoke when there's a fog on the ground and things are crisp and lovely. Great with a cup of coffee or tea. It can bite a teeny bit if disrespected, but it does take some doing to get it into that mood. I like it crunchy dry--moisture impedes its lovely burning characteristics. This is a good one for the cellar.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (8)

I began smoking aromatics when I first began smoking a pipe years ago. Since then I like many pipe smokers have moved on to English blends. Wanting a change of pace I was looking for a good aromatic that had flavor along with the aroma and this one has everything, a great aroma before lighting, a good flavor when lit and a pleasing room note.Autumn Evening leaves no goop in your pipe, it burns clean clear to the bottom of the bowl. Don't smoke it too fast it can bite but over all it is a tobacco I will buy again. This is a good solid aromatic that is a cut above the others.

CanAsianPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CanAsianPiper (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Well I pretty much ONLY smoke aromatics.

Upon first opening my tin, I got punched in the face with Maple. As being Canadian, we do love our maple, and this was definitely the case. All I wanted to do was leave the tin open and eat the tobacco, but instead packed my pipe.

The tobacco was a bit dry straight from the tin, which I didn't mind since it's by weight, and I don't want water to be weighed. So I added a few sprinkled of distilled water until moisture was to y liking.

I didn't get any taste of any chemical products to keep moisture levels, which is good. The first few bowl burned quite hot and flavorless, I assume being a newbie and having a pipe barely broken in didn't help one bit. It got to the point where I didn't want to smoke it anymore, so i let it sit in a sealed jar for about a year.

Came back to it a year later, and the smoke was MUCH more pleasurable. I dried it out for 10min then 3 step gravity packed it. Set up in the yard and fired it up. It is now much better than last year. Maybe the ageing mellowed it out a tad, or that my pipe is comfortably broken in and i'm more experienced, but I like it much more than I did beofre.

This will be added to the rotation again.

alfa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alfa (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't like aromatic tobaccos too much. but this is really no bad

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Sad to say that I finished off the remains of my tin today...

SOLID aromatic. Nothing bad to say about this blend. No bite, little goop and gargle, too bad all aros can't be like this.

Good quality Virginia's with a pancake/maple syrup/caramel note to top it off. I'm not sure why but this blend truly does taste the best in the autumn. The popularity and good reviews from this site say it all. You cannot go wrong with this blend, buy some immediately!

Also I had my tin for a total of two years and the aromatic note never diminIshed whatsoever.

Very highly recommended!

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I bought 16oz tin of this and was quite excited to smoke it. I loved the idea, the tin note was not exactly fresh maple syrup but nice, really needed to dry this one out. I set out small amounts to smoke and left the overnight. The in my larger pipes the smoke as a bit hot, wet and I could not really catch maple. My wife smokes 2 of my smaller pipes, one a campus...not a great pipe but small bowl small bore and in that pipe it was a treat. Like all treats great once in awhile but not something for daily intake. I gave this 3 stars for its room note, tin note, and smoke after drying it out a lot and in the smaller pipes. I would have gone 2 had I based this on my experience with this in my larger pipes. Next time a small 50g tin will suffice.

SmokingMySav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingMySav (9)
Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first venture into Cornell & Diehl tobaccos and probably the last one.

JESUS CHRIST! Could you flavor tobacco any more than this?!? You are literally smoking maple syrup! Ghosted my pipe, ghosted my mouth - for days after I was tasting maple syrup.

The flavoring is waaaay over the top. If they were to use 1/10th of the topping - it would've been a very pleasant smoke. Until then - you are better off just drinking some maple syrup instead.

I really wanted to try some of the other C&D tobaccos, but I am way to gun-shy now.

Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Still in my first year of pipe smoking, I have already jumped the aromatic ship in favor of the english blends, VAs and Vapers. Although my pallate finds this blend to be far too sweet, I have nonetheless given this a three star rating as to avoid sinking the ship and adding to the ire of the passengers aboard.

I have read too many reviews of aro smokers furious from the condescension of us who no longer enjoy these blends. To a large extent I feel this is justified as giving a blend like this a one star rating whilst a drugstore OTC aro carries an average of two distorts the objectiveness of the ratings. So out of this objectivity I have given this three stars as the leaf is quality and I do not experience that nauseous feeling I get from ingesting a chemical laden pulp.

Now to the subjective. It is still important for us non aro smokers to rate these blends as we use these reviews as our own personal journals and the more you smoke you tend to forget. I did find this to be far too sweet, but it is really the only bad thing I can say about it. So for the subjective I would give it two stars. One higher than an OTC chemical dump.

Autumn Evening is a sweet smelling aromatic from C&D. The pouch scent is that of maple syrup. After some needed dry time, it packed with ease and smoked with ease. The maple scent doesn't translate well to the smoke as the taste is sweet, rather than maple in flavor. The good news for me is that red Virginias generally don't like me, but I had no problem with AE. When I want a Maple aromatic, I prefer Vermont Maple Cavendish from Pipeworks and Wilke, but still worth a try for lovers of maple aromatics.

Bishop_Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bishop_Pipe (5)

I agree with some of the more recent reviews of this blend, in that it smells like maple, but the taste maybe is just more of a general sweetness than particularly maple.

Opening the tin, the maple rushes and hits you straight away, doesn't smell like maple flavoured tobacco, smells like pure maple. Which is lovely!

It requires a bit of drying as its a "sticky" aromatic. But loads very easily and if sufficiently dried, it lights well.

The cased virginias are present are pleasant, but the taste isnt really maple, more a general sweet taste, which is still pleasant, and the taste carried on towards the end of the bowl, it didnt run away like many aromatics do after 3 puffs!

Just remember to puff gently, to much will cause it to get hot and you'll get tongue bite.

I guess i'd recommend because although to me it doesnt really taste like it says on tin, its sweet tasting and smells great. An enjoyer of aromatics would like it.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very strong Virginia. Can bite if pulled. Use a small bore pipe and sip it slowly. Then it very nice, but strong. I don't taste much maple flavor, but I do smell it for hours after even though I don't smoke inside. Excellent burning qualities. I don't have a problem keeping it lit, and it lasts a while.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend was recommended by a friend with a real sweet tooth so I decided to try the bulk sampling of it. If you like maple and sweet aromatics I think you will definitely love this. I only smoke a small amount at a time and it takes care of the sugar fix. Very pleasant room note. Recommended for those with a very sweet tooth.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked this tin over a few months. The first month or so, it seemed overwhelming with maple flavour. So much so that I wasn't really a fan. As time wore on it faded a bit and became very pleasant. There is enough nic in this to make me feel crook after 2 big bowls. I like this better than Mc c's town topic which was far too weak, but it could be better if the maple was a bit more subdued. I probably won't buy this again, but I did like it, particularly after a big dinner. If you like this type of tobacco, it makes a good dessert smoke.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Being the good old, fourth generation northern Vermonter that I am I know Maple Syrup. I know it well enough to say I spent a good amount of my teenage years working to sugar houses collecting buckets and boiling. That being said Autumn Evening does not have a "real" maple flavor, it just kinda tastes sweet.

That being said this stuff is really good, especially for an aromatic. The flavor is sweet, it burns pretty cool, and the room note is par excellence. Surprisingly, there is a little vitamin N there, and being so sweet this blend sneaks up on you a little, its not a lot, but it is there. An excellent choice and a very elegant aromatic. Highly recommended.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Red virginia cavendish eh?

Well, it can bite a little if you hurry it, but with even decent technique, bite is no real concern.

I was sitting on the back porch smoking this last fall. My wife's friend remarked that it smelled like a vanilla cupcake, so... okay.

More moist in the tin than the typical C&D offering usually is, but nowhere near the level of goopy that Altadis' aros are famous for. Also, no PG that I could tell (I don't think C&D ever uses PG anyway), so no chemically taste. I think it tastes like waffles - mapley and buttery. Plus, the casing doesn't overpower the tobacco. Yes! You can taste tobacco! And it has nicotine too! Does it get any better than this for an aromatic?

Only thing is, since there's no preservative to speak of, once you pop the tin, I recommend to smoke it up relatively quickly... the casing will begin to fade after a couple weeks.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

The maple flavoring came through in just the right amount for me. I really enjoyed this. I have to recommend a long stemmed pipe such as a churchwarden. This will help reduce the tongue bite that is so common with the aromatic tobaccos.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Its ok. I'm not getting the maple taste that everyone else seems to be getting. In fact, I found it pretty tasteless regardless of what I smoked it in; briar, cob, or meerschaum. The tin note is good, but without the taste coming through for me, I see no reason to smoke this. However, I'll give this 2 stars since everyone seems to really like it and of course you can judge for yourself.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If one could eat tobacco, this would be the dessert. Delicious maple brown sugar odor wafts up from a freshly opened tin. One of these days I am going to actually taste it. Great for a party or when in mixed company. Now I know why Hef smoked Mixture 79!! Women love this blend. Autumn Evening is in a league of its own when compared with other similar aromatics. I like it a couple of times a month when my sweet tooth gets the best of me. Good quality leaf and the sweetest room note possible.

Erik-Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik-Peterson (7)

I enjoy an occasional aromatic, but was very disappointed with this tobacco. When you open the tin, the smell of maple is overwhelming to say the least. It packs and smokes well, but has way to much casing, and bites very easily.

The positive though, is that this tobacco has the best room note I've ever smelled. Although YOU probably won't enjoy this smoke, at least everyone around you will.

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Strong

When i opened this tin the smell was really overwelming, so sweet i wanted to eat the tobacco:)

The truth is that this is my favorite aromatic. The taste is very nice, burns smoothly with no tongue bite at all, and after the bowl my mouth isn't smelling and tasting like asshes, but instead it tastes like caramel!!

My girlfriend loves the smell also, so i can smoke it near her! Really love it. Thanks Cornell & Diehl:D

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)

A cigar smoker of many years, this is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked based on the recommendation of the gentlemen of BadgerAndBlade.com. I found it to be pleasant, although not nearly as flavorful and sweet as I expected.

fishingpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fishingpipe (4)

The description and reviews caused me to venture for a tin of Autumn Evening. When I first received it I opened the tin and immediately wanted to take a bite of it. It smelled that good. The tobacco packs well and stays lit fairly well, but I had to relight twice after the first 2/3 of the bowl. The maple flavoring is more noticeable in the first half of the bowl, though I may have smoked it a little hot the last half. This is consistent after several bowls. Not a goopy aromatic, per se, but not completely clean, either. The first 2 bowls I smoked in a cob. I finished the tin in a basket briar that smokes well. My wife is my room note expert, and she enjoyed it. She kept saying it smelled like something to smoke at breakfast time. It's not joining my regular rotation, but I am cellaring 3 tins for future enjoyment. It would be a tin I might grab to go on a trip or vacation just to have something different to enjoy. A fine blend.

colonelcustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonelcustard (4)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the last aromatic I bought before venturing into English blends. I was somewhat disappointed by it, but I keep it on hand when I want something different.

It's a very mild tobacco and it smells pretty good while burning. I've found that it doesn't bite if care is taken with it.

I like smoking this blend out of a cob pipe for a couple of reasons: I find that I don't usually smoke an entire bowl of it, and more importantly it leaves a VERY STRONG ghost. You should be aware of this. my experience is that it takes two or three bowls to get rid of the ghosting.

Other than that, it is what it is: a nice mild blend that's best enjoyed in moderation.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I have tried and tried and tried to get along with this tobacco. I enjoy the flavor so much, I emailed C&D and asked them if they would put this casing on something different. The VA in this bites the bejesus out of my tongue. I have even came back to it after drying it for 2 year in the tin, and it still bites me. Also, it leaves a bit of undesired slop in the bottom of the bowl. If you can handle this tobacco, by all means give it a go!

JohnB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnB (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tasted great, smelled wonderful, but gave me a terrible, very strange form of tongue bite. I think I might actually be allergic to whatever is produced when this tobacco burns. My lip split open on the inside in several places and I got irritated and/or bubbling portions of the inside of my mouth. My advice, if you feel a pin- prick sensation when smoking, throw out the bowl and wait a day. If your mouth feels fine then maybe try again. The pin prick sensation seems to precede my last two bad tongue bite cases.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

Ahh im not crazy about. It tastes very close to Captain black. It has a slight maple taste but no toabcco taste its to mild in a way. If your a new pipe smoker you would like this. If you want a better maple aromatic with more of a tobacco taste and natural maple insted of an artifical one i would try sutliff privte stocks maple street i give that a 4/4

rrackley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rrackley (3)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Autumn Evening is my favorite example of this blender's excellent products that overcome the usual aromatic disadvantages of poor burning and/or tongue bite. The taste and aroma are excellent and it burns like a good regular tobacco.

Because I am a very mild tobacco smoker - English blends have always given me headaches and I've felt sick for hours after I've tried them every time (especially those with latakia) - my favorite everyday tobacco blend is Lane 1Q. It can get boring after a while because it has little flavor of its own, so I often smoke it with a good aromatic blended into it. A mixture that is 1/3 Autumn Evening and 2/3 Lane 1Q is just right for me and I love it. Everyone loves the aroma too, from what I hear.

I have found that Autumn Evening tobacco is pretty sensitive to its moisture level. The first can I bought was very dry [very unusual from this blender] and smoked very harshly and hot when I tried it by itself. I put about a tablespoon of distilled water in a large bottle cap on top of the tobacco in the can and let it evaporate and infuse into the tobacco for a few days. I then put the tobacco into a mixing bowl, tossed it around to spread the moisture, and it smoked much more to my liking after that.

Autumn Evening is one that I always plan to keep on hand to smoke myself and to share with friends.

freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I ordered 4 oz of this stuff, based on the reviews. Really sorry!

I'd hate to pan it completely. It did burn all the way to the bottom, so that's something. (Certainly better than a disgusting, gloopy, horrid tasting dottle.) So, it burns, but then, so do cigarettes. I felt as if I'd ripped open a few stale cigarettes and smoked them with a drop of maple syrup; "acrid" springs to the lips, as it were. Maybe some people like that, but I don't.

Comparing this to Three Blind Moose is irresponsible. I entertain some hope I can mix it with some Virginia ribbon and perique or SOMETHING else and make it smokable. Maybe some burley would help.

I'll give it two stars, reluctantly.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sweet and cool burning aromatic, with a good tobacco flavor, this weed tastes like it smells in the tin. One of the few aromatics i really like. 01/06/2012: 4 stars now, a top quality Aro smoke

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

All in all, this is a rather tasty and very unique tobacco. However, two aspects of it seem to rather contradict its mellow and relaxing title of "Autumn Evening."

First, is the flavor. Although the maple flavor and scent are both pleasant enough, I for one do not think of something that hints of bacon, breakfast sausage, and pancakes as something I would want to smoke in the evening. Secondly, it packs a decent enough nicotine punch that you would most certainly not want to smoke this blend right before going to bed.

Personally, I think a more appropriate title would be "Autumn Morning." This blend would go wonderfully with a nice cup of coffee.

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Initial impression:

"Not so much."

I want this to be a home run aromatic for C&D. The concept is there. Love the soul of the idea. The pouch note is perfect. The feel of the tobacco is right on. Lighting was easy. One match (after the char) did the whole bowl. Vitamin N buzz was minor, which I prefer for an evening contemplative session. And that's about where the love ended for me. We all know that any number of things can affect tobacco after it leaves the maker. So, this is not my ultimate judgement on Autumn Evening.

I am going to try a few more bowls, try a different pipe, then cellar it and come back to it later. I bought this from the local tobaccy man. Got it bulk, and, as some others have stated, that might be the problem. I am also going to buy a pouch/tin of it and see if I get a different experience.

There was hardly any continuance of the maple-love in the taste. The same goes for the presence of the maple-love in the room note - barely. The taste was flat with far-cry hints of maple.However, it did have spikes of Virgina's tang, and we all know how daddy likes that.

Can only say "give it a shot and tell me if I got a bad batch."

I will be updating this review for sure.

Update 06/28/10: I'm bumping the rating to a 2.5 stars. After a little drying time, and adjusting my smoking to a sipping approach, things have improved. But the tobacco still has no body. Tastier with no body.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I am still in search of an aromatic that has some real tobacc flavor and nuance with the addition of complimentary flavoring. So far, this has been a elusive beast to find. And Autumn Evening isn't it either.

This tobacco comes closer than any other that I have tried though. I will give it credit for that. My quesion is, Why do all aromatics have to be made of whimpy tobacco with little character? Surely some master blender out there can manage to find tobaccos of character and strength to match to a complimentary additional flavor without overwhelming the weed contained within the tin. I just don't get it.

There is some va strength here and some tobacco flavor, but the maple used is over the top and klls most of the enjoyment. There are no nuances here at all.

I will stick to my vapers, english, and burley blends for now. But, I'm sure that sometime soon I will be hearing the siren song of another aromatic and I will give it another go.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

Immediately upon opening the sample pouch I received, I could smell the maple. Not as strong as I imagined it would be, but a not lacking in aroma. The tobacco was at just the right moisture level and packed very well.

Right away I noticed the sweet syrup flavor and to my surprise it was not overpowering. This blend burned in the manner one would expect from quality tobacco. Throughout the bowl the maple flavor would rise ever so slightly and then disappear again. This was a pleasant change from most aromatics which tend to be constant and become a bore.

Autumn Evening took to the flame nicely. It almost didnt need a charring light and relight, but I provided one out of habit. I did notice a slight uneven burn which I attribute that to the windy conditions on my back patio as this has happened on many occasions with various blends. The only time I needed to relight was due to my own mistake. About half way through the bowl, I decided to remove some of the ash to get a better draw. Well, I removed the cherry as well. Yes, rookie mistake, but these things happen. No more lighting problems after this. I would recommend using a match on this blend. I used a butane pipe lighter and could actually taste the fuel, which is not a normal thing for me.

This is by no means a complex blend and seems like a good early morning or desert smoke. Overall, I enjoyed the experience and would not turn it away if offered.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

As you may see in my other reviews, I am a relatively new pipe smoker...after smoking menthol cigarettes for a long time, I am having a ball trying new tobaccos..pouch hopping, maybe? This one DOES taste just like it smells. Not one I want every day, but I like having it around. I may REALLY like it when Autumn returns!

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

After reading the reviews here I decided to give this one a try. I had never smoked a maple flavored blend and I found it to be a pleasant smoke but on the bland side. It burned clean and consistent with no goop and a pleasant room note but it?s just not for me. When needing a maple fix, IHOP is a better choice.

mbmc82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mbmc82 (7)

Moisture is the key. Let this one dry for at least one day before smoking. I found once the proper moisture was realized than Autumn Evening was a good smoke...pleasing to me and those around me. That being said, this could not be a daily fare, nor do I think Autumn Evening was designed as such. Give it a go.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)

If i were basing my rating on tin aroma; this one would be world class;It brings back memories of moms full layout morning meals All the eggs you could eat with bacon grits bisquets and gravey syrup and waffles flapjacks etc etc ! When I smoke this all I get is the syrup! Autum evening gave me the hic-cups :really!all 4 times I smoked it! has this happened to anyone else? I will say this my wife loves the room note;I mentioned she could create the same aroma by preparing aforementioned breakfast! I am not a huge aromatic fan;and I know this blend will rock some puffers world Its just not vincenzo's world. I have kept the tin and on busy mornings when the kitchen is on strike i open up my tin of autum evening take a sniff grab a pop tart and think about my next pipe! It really does smell great! VP out!

Markos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Markos (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, the search continues, at least for me. This will not be my go to aromatic. That being said, I don't want to discourage anyone looking for a high quality aromatic from trying this blend. It is very good if you like the flavor. Somehow, I just don't like smoking maple. I like eating maple flavored things, but smoking them, no. I will probably finish the tin, but it will take some time. Again, this is just a matter of personal taste. As far as goop or gurgles, have no fear, they are absent from this blend. This is a quality tobacco.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Presents itself as a dark brown, short cut blend, not resembling typical black cavendish. The aroma is a crowd pleaser, with an unmistakable maple aroma. Great for those who love maple flavour. However, for the smoker, once you hit the zone, one can enjoy both a mild maple flavour with a nice red virginia core. This marriage of flavouring with a virginia base makes this a winner for those who love virginia tobacco and enjoy aromatics too. I drink maple syrup straight, so this has won a place in my cellar.

------- updated 11-09-07 Opened a tin four & half years old... the old style C&D tins with the label as a sticker lid. The tin appeared puffed up, and surely enough, opening it up presented a whaft of fermentation, with very, very moist contents. However, no signs of rot, and within moments, a heady maple aroma appeared once the volatiles faded (would this tin have exploded from gas in a few more years?). A bit of drying is recommended (this is perfectly normal for many tobaccos, unlike what some folks here believe when they open a tin and then complain about moisture content). The blend, though dark, was certainly not a dark as the batch I tried from 2006. Of course, it is reasonable to expect batch to batch, year to year variations. I found this older tin's aroma did not translate as clearly into a maple flavour as the newer 2006 batch did. Room note from this aged tin is agreeable but not clearly maple, just sort of sweet. The blend smokes a tad hot if coaxed, naturally, being virginia, but this is a good thing for this smoker because that is also known by some as "spiciness". Most definitely a satisfying smoke. My head was swimming after at least one recent bowlful when I smoked to the very heel of the pipe. One doesn't get that from black cavendish blends, usually. Can't say this aged tin is the pinnacle of aromatics, but this stuff smokes with one light (pocket hole packing method), and really satisfies. Conclusions: My recommended rating stands. Fits the bill as an any day smoke The extra star would be earned if the taste was more obviously maple as declared on the label Not a bad choice to cellar tins for the long haul.

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the ONLY aromatic I have found to my liking. It is delicious maple. It is absent the usual aro taste and texture. Enough said!!!

This will be the third Autumn in a row that I will smoke a tin.(2007)

billbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billbo (8)

Smoked with only two lights a very nice mild tobacco will put into my rotation . will cellar some of this stuff

After smoking a full tin of this I like it even more will change to a highly recommended

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

Autumn Evening is very smooth with a delightful but not overbearing maple flavor.

I like this a bit more than Wilke's Vermont Maple.

I still have an unopened bag of Townsman Blue to try before deciding which maple to keep on hand, but AE is a very nice aromatic.

zimmy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zimmy (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

It is a mystery how this can be so strong with the maple flavor, yet not burn hot or goopey!

It is a rather monotone smoke that remains constant throughout the bowl. Some folks may find this boring or monotonous.

After the first two thirds of the bowl, I am ready for a change. However, it is a mild and tasty smoke. I will certainly always keep some on hand to have now and again.

While the pouch aroma is so strong you think you will have instant diabetes from the sweetness, the actual smoke is not too over-cased. The maple flavor is certainly there though, and carries through to the room note nicely.

You may even be allowed to smoke this one in other areas of the house, (outside of your man-cave.)

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the aromatic for those who don't want an overly cased, goopy tobacco. The maple flavoring is applied in just the right amount so as not to cast a shadow on the virginia cavendish.

C&D created a masterpiece with this blend and the name says it all. I can imagine sitting on the porch on a cool autumn evening and smoking this blend. It's a perfect creation for aromatic smokers.

I have found that the blend is not always consistant and can sometimes be overly cased. When that is the case, it is not at all good. However, mixed 50/50 with some BCA the result is a good maple blend.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

the maple smell was quite strong in the tin and even stonger once lit, but the quallity of leaf was there. so anyone who likes a pipe with pancakes will love this. this baccy has some body, and was far more satisfying than most aromatics. i wont buy this for myself again, but I would buy it for a couple of my sweeter palated friends without embarrasment.

Sorry, in my fist review i meant to give this blend 3 stars.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A dry and somewhat artificial tasting maple-cased aromatic. Some find the room note unpleasant. Wilke VMC is sweeter, but tastes and smells more naturally maple.

Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redneck (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Nice break from the heavy latakia blends. This one smells and tastes like Maple but does not have an artificial after-taste. The Red Viginia is very up-front in strength & taste. A very good combination. Tolerated by non-smokers.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is probably the most perfect aromatic I've tried. It manages to achieve a robust maple flavor and aroma without all the nasty side effects I normally associate with this style of blend (i.e. dirty pipe, burned tongue and lingering chemical aftertaste). This blend burns well, the flavor remains consistent to the bottom of the bowl, and you can still taste the VAs. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to people who think they don't like aromatics -- it might prove to be the exception.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I really like this blend. It's not sticky-syrupy-goopy, but it sort of tastes like a fresh cup of coffee tastes, in terms of flavor, aftertaste, etc. Room note during smoking is really nice. Taste is maple-y, and rich. Slightly sweet. Doesn't bite like most aromatics, although it will bite a little if not careful.

I very much like this blend.

Jazzplayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jazzplayer (9)

Another wonderful smoke by C&D. Upon opening the tin, my nostrils were filled with the aroma of maple with a hint of raisin. As I filled my bowl with this red virginia cavendish, my wife entered the room commenting on the wonderful aroma (big plus). I took the lighted match to this bowl and the aroma was exotic. The flavor was smooth, wraping my palate with an infusion of cool and tasty smoke. I highly recommend this Autum Evening to all ranks, beginner to connisuer!

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Even though I'm not overly fond of aromatics, this tobacco is quite good. Upon popping the seal, I was hit by VERY pronounced maple aroma. The tobacco is at the perfect moisture level for packing and smoking (unusual in an aromatic, IMO), and the overwhelming maple flavour/aroma eventually burns off (for the most part), showcasing the red virginia cavendish underneath the topping. The tobacco burns well without excessive relights and without leaving goop in the bottom of the bowl. The flavour is smooth and quite mild, and not particularly robust. The room note, although initially quite sweet, eventually becomes only slightly reminiscent of holiday baking.

Without a doubt, this is a full-fledged aromatic, and not a crossover blend. For those who love the really heavy, syrupy aromatics, or for those who resolutely refuse to smoke aromatics at all, this blend isn't for you. For an occasional change-of-pace, or for those who want to give aromatics a try, this tobacco is a great addition to your cellar.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

Yum! This tobacco in the tin smells just like maple syrup! Packs easily and requires few relights. The flavor actually comes through while smoking. This is one of the things I love about C&D aromatics! The room note is wonderful! My partner says it smells like maple leaves burning! I wonder if this is why they call it what they do? Recommended!!

UPDATE 8-14-06....Updating to 4 stars, this is one of the best aromatics available, in my humble opinion. It just gets better and better as I smoke it! I am stocking up on this and it will go in the "Favorite Aromatics" section of my humidor!! Highly Recommended!!

13.45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
13.45 (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

a top-quality aromatic with a pleasing room note, mild flavoring (that doesn't overpower the tobacco,) little or no bite, and a satisfying smokiness. i've received several compliments while smoking AE, and enjoy this blend as a lighter change-of-pace when i'm in the mood for something sweet. 3 stars

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)

I have a handful of aromatics that I dig out of the cabinet from time to time when I want something really different. When you open the tin on this one, you see a lot of black tobacco and you smell maple, and not much else. It lights up nicely, burns a tad on the warm side and remarkably doesn't really goop up the pipe, though it'd still be a good idea to set a pipe aside for this experience. The first time I smoked this around my youngest kid, her unsolicited comment was that it smelled "like breakfast". The quality of the stuff is good and if you are looking for an aromatic with maple flavoring, look no further. I'll keep some around for the occasional pipeful.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I never would have tried this one based on the description. I am a big fan of C&D and most everything I have tried from them, I absolutely love. I just didn't think I would like the "Maple flavoring". Frenchy hooked me up with a sample of this stuff and WOW! I was suprised for sure. This smells stronger than it tastes. It actually smells stronger than it smokes too. The reaction to this was very positive with everyone who has smelled it. It actually tastes like good natural tobaccos with just a touch of flavoring. I am not so much an aromatic kinda guy but I am already looking to get some more of this stuff! Probably wont smoke it every day but it is a wonderful tobacco to have when the urge hits!! Thanks Frenchy's pipes!!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Autumn Evening is by far the finest maple blend I?ve tried. I had Rum & Maple years ago, which was typical drug store phooey. Tinder Box had a maple blend but it was gloppy and left the pipe like a syrup barrel. Wilke?s Vermont Maple is excellent in taste, but it?s hot on the tongue. C & D?s version is pure, refined and elegant with very little tongue nip. This is the perfect dessert blend and makes a room smell like Vermont, or at least the way I always imagined Vermont smelled on a crisp autumn day. It?s pure maple enjoyment without the need for pancakes and sausage. It ranks as one of my new aromatic favorites alongside McC?s Best of Show and Iwan Ries?s King?s Oriental.

Three and a half of five stars.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very pleasant aromatic. I used to like Wilke's Vermont Maple Cavendish,but I really like this .It truly has a maple flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. It is never cloying and those around you will immediately become your friend.I would tell every aromatic smoker this is a MUST TRY BLEND.Nothing artificial here. 3 of 4 stars

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A nice red va/cavendish areomatic with a maple flavor of both leaf and casing. Everyone around me has highly complemented the aroma. A decent nicotine level is present without any bitterness whatsoever. Like many of C&D's offerings this smokes and tastes best in a large bowled pipe.

This is a quality aeromatic for the times a sweet tooth rears its head but best serves as a smoke for an early Fall day when its cool outside and the leaves on the trees are turning colors.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like many pipers, I began by smoking a nasty drug store cavendish that was wet in the bag well longer than a year after purchase.

From there I moved "up" to Frog Morton and Deep Hollow and in the long run found both to be equally disappointing while initially enchanting. I fell out of love with the C+D burley based maple, vanilla, and fruit based aromatics while slowly getting deeper and deeper into the "hard stuff". Now I scoff at those who revile Irish Oak and Durbar. I smoke three pipes of Haddo's and Night Cap at once while Hailing Satan! I now live on the tobacco edge. So what would possess me to try Autumn Evening? Nostalgia? Masochism?

After loading up the wood burning stove and settling in on the chilliest night yet in "rural" north western New Jersey, I decided to finally sample "A.E." as I had labeled the Mason Jar in which this sample has been aging for six months. Dreamy and warm tin aroma (yes, pancakes). Quick and easy light. A clean burn issuing out clouds of blue-white smoke loaded up with maple flavor and incense. I found the flavor of both the casing and the tobacco to play here - with the Maple distinctly dominating but NOT becoming cloying or goopy. Consistent flavors through out the bowl. Not a hint of sting or bite. In a word - fantastic. Or at least exactly the "aromatic moment" I have been looking for.

I give it 4 stars as I think this blend has achieved where most other aromatics falter. Will I smoke it nightly? Likely not. It isn't Three Friars, London Mixture, Raven's Wing or any of the other blends which have become a staple for me. Will I reach for this blend when I want an aromatic? Sure thing.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is as good as any aromatic tobacco can get. It lights easily, smokes nice and cool and does not, repeat - does not leave any residue in the pipe. My wife says that it smells very good. The flavor is not like the mouth full of mud kind of taste one usually gets from an aromatic.

This blend is composed of 100% red virginia that is topped with maple. The red virginia is not overly sweet nor is the maple additive.

The creators of this blend advertise this as an aromatic; it smokes like a very good aromatic, so leave it at that. This is good stuff, very smokeable and leaves no regrets. Will this be my all day smoke? No. But then again it was never intended to be one as far as I can tell.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

After an unusually cool summer and warm early fall, mid-Michigan finally offered me a perfect evening to sample this blend.

Autumn Evening is mottled dark brown with the advertised coarse cut. Pouch aroma is primarily that of the mid-strength maple casing. Moisture content was about perfect, though drier than expected for an aromatic. Surprisingly, AE lit pretty thoroughly on a single match and burned very evenly throughout the bowl.

The room note is completely dominated by the maple flavoring. References to pancakes are completely appropriate and all those around when I smoked AE were uniformly pleased. Despite the robust room note, the flavor is mild; the flavoring agent apparently burning off in the combustion process. The only knock on the taste is that there isn't much tobacco flavor coming through during most of the bowl.

The biggest surprise was the voluminous amount of smoke this blend generates; by far the most of any blend I have smoked. I was glad to be on the porch for my taste tests as the sheer amount of smoke would not quickly dissipate in the home environment.

AE burns down to a salt-and-pepper ash and the last third of the bowl is, to my mind, the best. The smoke volume finally subsides and some taste of tobacco finally surfaces.

Overall, this is a nice, albeit mild, aromatic tobacco that would offer a pleasant change of pace for the fall. I see myself smoking a large bowl of this as I take the little ones out on Halloween.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Full review coming soon......Ratings based on what Im hoping it will be....Review 9-26-04...This was a nice smoke for the most part, it had a nice roomnote and it did burn cool and smooth. The flavor of maple was not as strong as I thought it would be. I will most likely use this as a mixer, and stay with my original maple blend of Town Topic. MozzMann.......

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I read Wm. Serad's review in Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine and purchased this. In my opinion, this is the best aromatic tobacco I've ever smoked and I've been a pipe smoker since about 1977. Mr. Serad's review is accurate. Neither the taste nor the aroma diminish or change for the worse. It tastes good down to the dottle. I've smoked this every day since it came in the mail. You want another bowl immediately. I like it morning, noon and night in any pipe, though it is sufficiently moist and should be smoked in a pipe with adequate draw. It's easy to light, stays lit, and produces a prodigious amount of fragrant smoke. My wife says it smells like pancakes with maple syrup. It is sweet, but is not cloyingly so and does not seem to induce sensory fatigue. This just tastes good, really good. You have to get this and try it. I easily give this a grade of "A".

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This recent addition to the C&D lineup is just excellent.

As background, I love full English blends and love Latakia.

Then I found Barbary Coast, Pennington Gap, and MacBaren Burley London blend. I fell in love with their natural tobacco flavor, unadultered (mostly) by too much condimental leaf. I swore off Latakia.

I then received a sample of Autumn Evening. It is great! Don't get me wrong, this tobacco is lightly cased with maple so it is an aromatic. However, it is primarily a red VA cavendish and has alot of body and natural sweetness. Not a hint of additive. No black cavendish. Just lots of red VA with a light maple top coat (more maple aroma than taste). A good hit of nicotine. Comes fairly dry and burns that way to the bottom of the bowl.

This should go over well with those of you who like natural aromatics but still crave full flavored tobacco. Not for the Captain Black crowd at all. This tobacco is far closer to a natural aromatic (like Barbary Coast), than a typical cased/heat treated tobacco.

A real hit in my book.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Yet another update, I have really grown so fond of this blend. I have been lightly coating the inside of my new cobs with a thin coating of maple syrup and breaking them in with Autumn Evening. The sugar from the syrup and the Virginia tobacco creates a rock hard cake very quickly. My mother is an anti smoking demon at times and told me today my pipe smoke in her house smelled very nice and much better than anything else I smoked. This is the highest praise an aromatic can get, my mothers room note review... If it passes her scrutiny it will pass anyone's :-) O and this is still the only pipe tobacco I readily inhale. As a cig smoker this goes down very smoothly!

3/9/2014 Update* Wow I cannot believe its been over ten years since I reviewed this blend. I guess Im not a "Young Piper" anymore... Anyways this blend hasn't changed but I have, I find the blend much more enjoyable as I now have a decade under my belt of pipe smoking. I can handle a very hot blend. Virginias and maple sugar can be incendiary but this blend smokes cool now that I know how to smoke it. LOVE the artwork, I mean if it was named "griddle scrapings" would we all rush to purchase this? No... Hands off to whoever made the artwork, I would love a giant poster for my wall!! And wow a buck an ounce? O how I long to go back to 2004 :-)

Original Review: 2004-02-13 - I ordered this blend because i smoke townsman maple regularly and i wanted to try a maple blend without burley. Autumn Evening has much less maple aroma, and the taste is real tobacco. This is drier than townsman but does not have that great billowing clouds of pancake aroma. So that being said, those who love extremely heavily cased tobacco as i should try the MCC version. This is a nice change for me though. I bought several one ounce samplers from Outwest tobacco online. Good way to try new blends as they are only a buck an ounce.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Bulk and tinned

Similar Blends: McClelland townsman Cavendish blue , Pipeworks and Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish.