This is a twist made from the same ingredients as the Black and Brown Irish X. It has additional Black Currant flavoring added during manufacture. Again, this is a very strong tobacco as it does not undergo the pressure cooking process.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
2.1
aaxiom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aaxiom (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I'll have to affirm most of the comments previously posted. This was some of the foulest tobacco I've ever smoked. I tried drying some out, slicing plugs, packing leaves, etc. All foul.

I then -- in desperation -- stuck a plug in my mouth and realized that this stuff really shines when chewed. Be warned though... the nicotine kick will sit you down faster than an errant mule hoof.

The flavor is long lasting and the taste -- if you like such a thing -- is pleasant, which is quite unlike the flavor when put to the match. I do know that my pipe smoking experience from a nicotine perspective is nothing like the experience with this stuff when chewed, so again be forewarned.

I thought I'd clear up some of the mystery here, as I just knew there had to be something of value to be found with this twist.

Thanks for reading.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I had long wanted to try G&H's famous ropes and was afforded a generous sample by a fellow smoker. I really enjoyed slicing coins off of the rope and rubbing out the coins completely. I attempted to smoke this without completely drying it out in the microwave without any enjoyment. When moist, it is very rough on the palate and refuses to burn. When completely dried out it is much more pleasant.

The smoke is cool and is medium bodied. The flavor alternates between that of a good cigar, spicy Virginia flavor, and black cherry casing. It is pleasant on the tongue and rather enjoyable with a cup of coffee. The nicotine strength doesn't bother me, but I find it to be best enjoyed in a small bowl. You will definitely get a nicotine fix from this tobacco.

The drawback to this blend is its burning qualities. The problem is that it doesn't burn at all. I can't get it to stay lit for longer than five minutes no matter what I try. As with every blend that I've had this trouble, I find it to be a great hindrance. Particularly since the flavor upon a relight is that of a cigar that has been smoked too close to its cap.

I plan on trying to use this rubbed out to add some strength to the milder VA's which I have become accustomed to. While I enjoy its flavor, I do not care to relight my pipe every five minutes. If you enjoy the stronger Gawith type blends, this is well worth a try. However, I find that this is one of those tobaccos that was fine to give a ride and see how it went, but I don't see myself purchasing in the future.

Red Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red (8)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

As a Fan G&H blends I thought I try the Rope/Twist type. I am still unsure how to get it ready to smoke. It does need to be dryed out. I have seversl slices sitting out for several days. It is much better after a long sit. it mellow the tast and the black cherry is now noticale, just a hint. It is not a bad smoke but it will be a long time if any if I will buy it again. I will move on to other ropes to try.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I got this as a sample from Mike at Mars many years ago. When I figure out what I did to piss him off, I will apologize profusely.

Pretty to look at and fun to slice with a sharp knife. Rubs out easily and smells like it was soaked in cough syrup...I even detected some camphor or menthol buried deeply in the unsmoked aroma. After several hours of drying, I loaded and lit up.

That was my first mistake.

Shortly after reaching cruising altitude, the flavor of the topping began to concentrate. I'm used to these flavors burning off. Not this one. The syrupy, medical flavor and aroma started getting very assertive. I returned my table and seat back to their upright positions. That was my second mistake. It wasn't the nicotine whirlies or whips and jingles. It was the noxious goopy flavoring that was making me reach for a barf bag. I didn't care much for this one. Burns great and there's real tobacco in there somewhere. Fans of this type of tobacco will no doubt enjoy it very much, as it is top quality leaf, professionally prepared. Just not my cup of tea. Or cap full of cough medicine.

Ebola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebola (10)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Tolerable

Somewhat harsh. Flavoring barely noticable. Will try some again as this is my first experience with rope. It needs to be dried out a bit as it is very wet and difficult to keep lit.

Update: I can't taste the flavoring. It seems to be overpowered by the harshness. This is a good test of manhood. If you can survive a bowl you are a real MAN. I'm apparently a WIMP!

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Very Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

"Could this be the often-hoped for aromatic with flavor?" Sorry, but no. This is a strong, harsh tobacco that the flavoring hardly touches. If you like ropes, this might be a fun diversion, but it is too much for me.

Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on some of the poor reviews here it is my guess that some folks thought that they were buying, in today’s vernacular, an aromatic tobacco with lots of sweet sugary casing. The confusion comes from the very slight, and I mean slight addition of dark cherry essence to GH’s Brown Twist. As with the other scented brown twists and ropes, this is strong tobacco with an essence and not a flavoring as one would find in their favorite cherry aromatic blend. Lovers of the very good GH Brown Twist will enjoy this if you happen to like the light cherry essence. Personally, I could barely find it. But, I am one that enjoys GH twists and this is no exception. I do agree that this can be a challenge to prepare. Personally I prefer to use a coffee grinder, but a sharp knife will do too. I using a knife, I try to cut it like a cube cut Burley and then let it dry. Once cut, I generally let it dry for a few minutes under a desk lamp. If you like GH’s twists and ropes, this might be to your liking. If you are looking for a cherry aromatic, which I enjoy on occasion too, you might want to pass on this one.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor (but no cherry flavor), this blend has a slight After Taste.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

Quite nice. I find the flavoring to be perfectly applied and it persists throughout the bowl, whisping in and out. Strong, but not overwhelmingly so. Didn't have to put it down like I have had to with the brown twists. No "motor oil" taste like some of the black twists. I like this stuff. I've sliced it into 1/8th inch rounds and rubbed out, dried well.

I'll smoke the rest of the ounce that I have and decide whether I'll purchase more. Probably will...

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (19)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was intrigued by the concepts of tobacco twists so I ordered five of the G&H flavors. It was interesting, cutting the twist into little "medalions" and then cutting these up into smaller pieces. Part of the Zen of pipe smoking for me is in the preparation but when I loaded up one of my favorite meerschaum-lined briars with Cherry Twist I found the tobacco strong in the nicotine, slight in flavor and I could not finish the bowl (first time in awhile that I didn't finish a smoke). If the cherry flavor is there I missed it. As I have mentioned in a previous review I love Altadis Maraschino and this twist did hold a candle to that blend.

I'll not get rid of this tobacco but hopefully able to use it when I need to concoct a good blend with a little more oomph. I have to say that I was disappointed.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

In my continuing and thus far fruitless quest for an aromatic that I actually enjoy smoking, I ordered four small samples of GH's flavored ropes. I am a fan of unflavored ropes, so I thought these might hold some promise.

Nope.

For those of you familiar with GH ropes, you know these are obviously quality blends, so I'm not going to go on one of those all-too-common rampages about a tobacco I find disagreeable. Let's just say that while this is well put-together, and will probably appeal to those who enjoy these kinds of flavors in a smoke, I do not care for it at all.

Why two stars instead of one? While the flavoring just does not sit well with me, yet it's not cloying, and much of it (not all) fades during the smoke. You're left with a high quality rope with all its fine attributes, so if you enjoy aros and a mild nicotine butt-kicking, then by all means try it!

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

First I had to slice off a few slices of this tobacco, and rub it out. I did not let it dry. This is a very strong tobacco, not for the meek! It is a pain in the but to get it ready to smoke, but I like this tobacco. The casing is hardly noticable. I Recommend this tobacco. At least give it a try if you like a tobacco that punches you in the gut!

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Strong Mild Full Strong

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion here. I sliced two thin coins from the rope and stuffed them in a small to medium lovat dedicated to Virginia blends. It lit right away and I tasted tobacco, smooth as silk, but full. The cherry is hiding and only appears intermittently, nothing like the other descriptions here. I smoked slowly and it did go out once due to my inattentiveness, but the relight was easy. I didn't relight immediately after it went out as I was being cautious about the high nicotine content. It accompanied an Ommegang Belgian-style Pale Ale. Neither overpowered the other. I have to add, this is one of the smoothest tobaccos I've ever smoked. There weren't any nuanced flavors other than the occasional whiff of topping; it started and ended tasting about the same. I liked it.

Graydee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graydee (2)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I find that most would not agree with me but I find this baccy to be excellent. I say this knowing that everyone's pallet is different as could be their expectations. To prepare I sliced off a few coins and rubbed them out then let it dry for approximately 9hrs. I know that is a long time but a did the same for brown bogie and it was just right. Anyway it still retained a little moisture. I packed it light into a little Kaywoodie bulldog and at first light there was an obvious cherry. It was a very smooth smoke, good amount of Nic but the cherry most of the time was non existent. No matter what I expected the baccy burned well with only one relight, no bite, and simply tasted great from start to finish. I will buy it again regardless of the lack of cherry just because of the quality. Highly recommend!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Standard Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 31

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Greatness!.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

The appearance is beautiful: a dense, tight, but soft and pliable black rope. The smell is the same as the Dark Plug or Dark Flake - Unscented by GH & Co: intoxicating and promising.

But there is no black cherry or black currant aroma, and the surprisingly mild smoke has little or no detectable flavoring. Indeed, the tobacco itself has an unusually light or mild taste.

Have I got the right twist here? I've never had a GH & Co product this light, this mild, this lacking in flavor. From the other reviews here, I must presume that I have a dud, a factory mistake, one that got past the Quality Control Department. Perhaps something was left out. Perhaps a step was skipped in the processing.

The final negative: It is just too much effort. It comes overly moist, requires slicing, rubbing, drying. I'm happy to go to the trouble if it ends in a good smoke. But this ends in mediocrity.

Two stars, because I wouldn't throw it out. I won't be buying this one again, but if someone offered me a bowl, I wouldn't turn it down.

Addendum, 24 March 2014: It took me forever to make it through one ounce of Black Cherry Twist. Very dense stuff, good value for the dollar. As I worked my way down the rope, the black currant flavoring became more evident, the overall experience more like a strong, harsh cigar. Still only 2 stars, but a different smoke from a different part of the rope.

Pipe Used: Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: 9 months after purchase

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

Oh my! A friend – I use the word in a fairly loose sense - gave me some of this to sample. I didn't like the look of it, but I'll try anything once, and it would've been rude not to. Here's my advice in a nutshell: if you like very strong and very heavily cased tobacco, you're going to enjoy this; if you like your tobacco to taste only of tobacco and not to knock you flat with its Vitamin N content, leave this one well alone. Very little makes me want literally to throw up, but this managed it.

I do realise that some people like this kind of thing, and great luck to you if you do; but, in my opinion, Black Cherry Twist is not compatible with human life, and Baby Jesus cried when they invented it. It would be bearable, even commendable to those who like a very strong smoke, if it weren't for the dreadful taste. Someone in a previous review has likened the casing to cough medicine. I agree entirely; but who at G & H could possibly have thought that a tobacco should taste like that? Also, what substance, exactly, is used to create this dire effect? I can't believe it's anything natural. I've never come across a 'cherry' tobacco that tastes anything like real cherries.

Jim, my Durham friend/tobacconist (whom Fuzzypeg knows also) tells me that people chew BCT. God help them, is all I can say. If you smoke it, and assuming you can get it to stay alight (no mean feat), the nicotine will kill you for sure if the terrible flavour doesn't. If you're a normally constituted human being, you will, after half a bowl, want to sit on the floor and cry.

No doubt drying it will improve the smoking quality (see earlier reviews); I imagine that aging it would calm it down a little also. I probably haven't given it a fair gallop (no DGT, for example; perhaps the topping isn't so fearsome the second time around). But why bother, when there's so much tobacco out there that doesn't do such horrible things to you? Give it a try if you like; but don't say I didn't warn you, and do use a small bowl. Only real men can smoke this, or would want to. For ordinary mortals, not recommended. No no no no no. Blecccch.