Aromatic all black Riff - cut tobaccos with mild Vanilla Flavorings. Soft mellow taste.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Blended ByHouse of Windsor
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging2 oz. or 4 oz. Tin, 10 oz. tin
Strength
Taste
2.3

09/30/2004:This is a good, honest tobacco that also happens to have a rich flavor. My guess would be a chocolate note with a hint of vanilla. Very tasty and not goopy or overly sweet. It smelled good to me and my S.O. didn't specifically complain (which constitutes a ringing endorsement) about the smell so it must be o.k. If you never smoke aromatics then this blend is not for you. However, if you like an occasional change of pace that includes some aromatics, give this a try.

11/16/2006 Update: Down-rated due to many better Aromatics available. Still a nice aroma. Just not rich enough for my current tastes.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I found a pouch of Argosy Black at a local liquor store recently. I had never even heard of this before so I purchased it to give it a try. Wow! Vanilla overload, this black leaf smelled wonderful in the pouch and was almost fragrant in the air. I believe you could successfully sell this as vanilla potpurri, it smells that good when burned.

As for the taste, I cannot be so kind. I found the flavor lacking a depth I would expect from such an overpowering aroma. Rather flat and one dimensionial. I can recommend this for the smell alone however. If you like vanilla aromatics, you must try this blend once.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

This very black tobacco blend says AROMATIC all the way down the wet bowl. It isn't a real bad tobacco nor is it a real good one either. The aromatic agent is absolutely vanilla and something else that tastes pretty good,though the last time I smoked Argosy some of the aromatic agent was in a chunk at the bottom of the pouch,and it was horible. The tobacco packs well and lights well,and has a wonderful and very rich aroma. Not a lot of tobacco taste here as it is well hidden by the aroma.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As with several of the House of Windsor brand revivals, I like the graphic on the cardboard tin more than the tobacco itself.

It came cut like Grape-nuts, and was very black in color, almost artificially so. It was difficult to get lit and keep lit, and produced very little smoke. All the puffing was hardly worth the odd vanilla flavor. Occasionally I could coax it to good place, but too often it would get an ammonia flavor as the bowl burned down.

Smelled okay, just way too much work.

Magus Noctem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magus Noctem (6)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Upon sniffing the tin aroma of this blend, I really thought I was going to be in for a smoking treat. Because of inclement weather (I'm a married outdoor smoker with young kids), I had to wait a couple days before trying a bowl. I'd peel back the lid and inhale deeply, just knowing it was going to be heavenly.

To my disappointment, it was underwhelming. While utterly well behaved in every regard--packs well, lights well, smokes well--the flavor component is almost nonexistent. There's some flavor there, but it's so subtle that if you're not actively looking for it, you'll miss it. Of the flavor that is present, it's all high end with no body, like a stereo that's all treble and no bass. The smoke volume is minimal. After two bowls, I went back inside for a tin of something else with a bit more presence.

In this vein of tobacco blends, I'd probably reach for Captain Black in the white or blue label before this. Even moreso, I'd happily pack a pipe with Evening Stroll or something comparable from my local tobacconist.

I wanted to like Argosy Black, and I suppose I do, after a fashion It's tolerable for an all-day smoke while laboring in the yard or workshop, but I cannot recommend it beyond that.

/==

Mild Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am familiar with and respect the insightful impressions of my fellow reviewers above. They have given me direction many times through this particular cyber-venue as to which tobaccos to try and which to possibly avoid. But, I did not get the same taste sensation they did while smoking Argosy Black. In fact, two bowls was all I could muster due to the acrid, sour and unidentifiable something that twisted my tongue into a pretzel as I puffed away.

I do agree the blend was way too moist right out of the tin. It packed okay though and visually is a deep, rich black color with a smattering of lighter leaf. I tasted ammonia at the match and that ain't one of my favorite flavors. The stench let up a bit as I progressed down the bowl, and maybe I did taste vanilla at some point; I'm really not sure due to that ammonia tongue bath.

I'm wondering if I got a bad batch.....But, this Argosy stuff was so unforgiving in its relentless flogging of my tastebuds that I have decided to bypass giving it a second chance.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The smell out of the pouch and the smell of the smoke are stronger than the vanilla and very light chocolate taste of the tobacco. It wasn't tasteless, of course, but it had all the excitement of watching paint dry. Burned well enough, and didn't bite, but it tended to get slightly harsh and a little moist at the finish. Not competitive in the black cavendish realm.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (13)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Smelled great in the pouch and had a nice room note, but the taste wasn't there. I didn't find the nicotine that others mentioned. I wouldn't buy this again.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerscham Hardwood

Age When Smoked: too long on shelf

Purchased From: local shop

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I, like others tried this many, many years ago. It hasn't changed. This tobacco, like most aromatics, are made up of Maryland leaf, which is pretty much tasteless except for a faint tobacco taste, and the leaf accepts flavorings well. What you taste here is casing. Smells great, but so does a vanilla candle. But as in wine; Drink what you like. In tobacco; Smoke what you like.

Holmlover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holmlover (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I remember this from 30 years back, and have not seen it for sometime. Another vanilla excess aromatic with again nothing but its wonderful room note to recommand it. A great dottle generator if memory serves me.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch I got was dry. I expect a pouched tobacco that has been sitting on a shelf possibly for years to dry out so it is normally not a big deal - I simply toss a moistened ceramic plug into the pouch to humidfy it. In this case, the topping had evaporated and I was left with tobacco that didn't have sufficient quality leaf to make the blend worthwhile. Not recommended.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Agrosy was a sweet iconic, vanilla cased aromatic smoke "back in the day." But this Argosy "match" I purchased from pipes and cigars.com (Habana) is a thorough disappointment stern to bow - a hot smoking, noxious tasting concoction leaving a foul aftertaste.

Maybe I can salvage this one with some strong vanilla topped cavendish or mix with it with a Moca flavoured blend. Standing by itself this one shows little promise.

The leaf was dry and without discernable aroma upon opening - maybe I got a musty batch. But even after hydrating it with a couple of aluminium covered clay moisturing discs the aroma was not much better, actually sour smelling. The nearest flavouring I could determine once lit was similar to a stale pack of the old grocery licorice candy "Nibs."

Sad cause years ago this was as good and some thought better than its chief popular rival - Captain Black.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I was in my early 20's I loved this and smoked it quite a bit. Now in my 40's I tried it once again and was disapointed, either the tobacco had changed (plausible), of I have changed (probable).

Its not bad but it is rather bland and has no surprises in it, and is too desert like for me now. If you like a sweet mild blend that non pipe smokers will enjoy then this is it.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Extra Strong

tobacco and pine tar with a smide of napalm. Come on baby set my toungon fire. Pure rubbish.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The tin aroma of this medium-width, cavendish-cut leaf is a basic and chocolate- like, while the vanilla component is conservative.

Regarding the base leaf, this is typically ingratiating and somewhat bland, though there are occasional sharp edges evident along with a slightly phenolic finish. Showing a tasteful restraint, the flavoring is gently applied, harmonizing well with the leaf.

Though Argosy Black is a road often traveled, restrained blending and scrupulous fabrication make it a pleasant diversion and a particularly good example of an American, aromatic black cavendish blend.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I just opened the small tin of Argosy that I bought as part of the HOW sampler a couple of years ago. From what I've read HOW is no more, so I guess my review is more academic than useful.

I used to smoke this occasionally in the 1970's, when pipe smoking was still relatively popular. I used to smoke large freehands back then (Ben Wades,etc.) and everyone seemed to comment on the great room note. I used to also mix it 75/25 with (75%)Half and Half, and really considered it a good smoke.

Objectively, Argosy has a very mild, flavorful taste of chocolate and sweetness. Nicotine content is higher than expected. As an all day smoke, for myself, I prefer unflavored burleys, Half & Half, the Prince and others. But for a change of pace, Argosy can't be beat. I smoked a couple of bowls in a Kaywoodie quarter bent, and I found no goop, or excess of wetness. Very surprising with such a flavored mixture. Drying out for a couple of years improved this tobacco's performance. If it were available locally, I would keep a tin on hand, but not worth the premium price I paid plus the shipping. However, all in all, Argosy is great nostalgia.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was the first blend I smoked . The flavor is nice and mild and the room note is just great . It's the kind of blend you can smoke in public and women will walk up to you and talk about how their father or grandpa smoke a pipe etc ..It doesn't have a ton of tobacco flavor . It kind of tastes the way it smells. I haven't had it in years but would love to try it again and remember the old days .

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I bought this partly due to the reviews on the aroma (yeah, I do that sometimes...) and partly due to the awesomeness of the can! (Flimsy reasoning, but I HAD to try it! Look at it!) Thank goodness I wasn't disappointed. That was one large can.

The aroma when I cracked it open was heavenly, but I didn't find it smelled like tobacco at all. If you've read other reviewers state that they almost wanted to eat the tobacco instead of smoking it, then you have the jist of Argosy Black.

Initial smoking of it was very pleasant to say the least, and not only did I feel my nerdy reasons for buying it were vindicated, but I thought I had found THE blend. The one that I was going to get hooked on. Unfortunately, I found that after a while I did get slightly bored of it. It just didn't have THAT much of a taste, despite the outstanding aroma, and I had so much of it to go through. I hope that doesn't sound as negative as it feels writing it. It's just the truth. What is also the truth is that since I've been out of it, I've wanted to find it again. So that's why I had to give three stars instead of two.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

House of Windsor seems to take a hit from reviewers. I disagree on Argosy. The smell out of the can is like a dark chocolate. I could inhale the aroma all day but then I would get nothing done. I consider this one of my everyday smokes I seem to like it best in the morning and around bed. Smoking to fast always gives me the hiccups and plays havic on my stomach. However it gets little pipe juice when smoked slow. The flavor is intense when smoked slow. It stays lit easy.

I really love the price on this to a 100 gram tin cost me 6.50 US Dollars and that cant be beat. Borkum Riff, Half and Half, Velvet, Rum And Maple they all cost me more for 1.5oz bag. I wouldn't recommend it to a new smoker since as a new smoker I seemed to want to power smoke, that would make this tobacco burn out the mouth real quick. It would become bitter and harsh. My personal Note rating is a 9.5 I'd keep it around for when the mood says smoke some. If you want to see my video review of this tobacco

it is under videos and I will be doing a video review now and then to add to my series.

The_Phantom_Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Phantom_Piper (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I found this blend to be a little too mild for my personal tastes, and no vanilla was detectable in the flavor. Very poor HoW blend.

Update 12/07

I think that I might have received a badly sealed tin of this, hence my 1st review. I recently tried another tin of Argosy, and very much to my surprise. the vanilla flavoring came through in both taste & aroma. While still not great, now I can honestly recommend this.

Patriot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patriot (5)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I concur with most of the other reviews on this page that this is an overlooked tobacco that is good and fairly priced. My addition is that the nicotine might be overwhelming (it is to me!)

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Update: While still a great no frills smoke, the inconsistancy of availability and recent hike in HOW's prices have led to this being removed from my rotation.

08/22/2006 I purchased a 10 ounce tin of this on the recommendation of my local Tobacconist. I am so glad I did! Argosy Black is an honest, no frills all black tobacco, with a rich chocolate flavor and exquisite aroma of a creamy vanilla. Think roasted marshmallow. It's sweet, but in no way cloying, burns exceptionally well, super dry, cool and clean. Unlike the experience of other reviewers here, it did not come overly moist out of the tin. The moisture content was just right for me and I prefer my tobacco on the dry side.

It loads and lights with ease, tastes great from the charring light to the last pull and is very well behaved in all aspects. It burns down very clean, into a very dry fluffy mottled ash. It also has just enough nicotine content to satisfy. Everyone around me while smoking it has commented positively on the aroma and asked what it is. I just opened my third 10 ounce tin and while it is definitely not complex by any means, its flavor and aroma have been consistent and dependable from tin to tin. That happens to be a favorable trait in my book. A great smoke by itself and also a good choice as a blender.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)

I must admit this is certainly one of the best dark cased aromatics I have ever enjoyed. As a rule I don't like chocolate cased blends.

This is a mild flavorful chocolate/vanilla cased burly with a hint of anise. This tabac burns vary mild in a cob but is perfectly suited for a brier that is routinely used for aromatics. The burn for this tobacco is very mild with copious amounts of smoke. It is a purely fun tobacco to smoke and often complimented for its room note. I love to smoke this one in the evening on the veranda and blow smoke rings for the kids. It burns to a nice mottled grey ash and only has a small deposit of mostly dry dottle at the bottom of the bowl. This smoke is very moderately priced and available at most tobacco retailers.

This one is most certainly a 3 out of 4 blend in the aromatic/burly category. Hats off to the House for an outstanding tobacco!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)

House Of Windsor- Americas Most Overlooked Tobacco! I cant decide why more people dont smoke this, They do lack in distribution. Soft, Mellow, Smooth, a little chocolate, a little toasted marshmellow, some vanilla, all in fair balance. Its CHEAP, traditional dust cut ( a how exclusive, dry with actual snuff like dust...)

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Creamy choco-nilla. This will either entice you to try it, or send you scampering! It is in the same genre as Captain Black, Royal Comfort, etc. It is however, better than most of them. It was worth a try, but I won't get it again.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

I like this better than Captain Black. It's flavor is that of vanilla and cinnamon. Smokes cool but is moist, get it lit good. Aroma is to die for everyone loves it and asks what it is. It is soft on the tongue like all black cavs. This is as close to Black Clipper you will get. Damn I Miss That Tobacco!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It's a bit over the top for me, topping-wise. VERY '70s! Disco Stu puts this in his pipe.

I regularly experiment with this blend, using it as a condiment to cheer up Calvinistically austere blends. Sometimes it works. It makes a great blender with Gawith's Chocolate Flake; it intensifies an otherwise easily overlooked chocolate taste.

Blackest flakes I ever smoked. Looks like chipped tar paper. Room note is indeed a crowd pleaser.

CpnFred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CpnFred (5)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this on the recommendation of a shopkeeper because I liked Captain Black. He gave me a whole mess of different tobaccos, but this was definitely my favorite. The room note of this tobacco is amazing. My girlfriend loves the smell. It also has a great taste and a good deal of nicotine. I'd definitely suggest this if you are looking for a tobacco that will please those around you.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

An aromatic in every sense of the word. This stuff was so moist in the tin that I expected to find standing water at the bottom!It did load quite easily,did'nt smoke wet,stayed lit after it got going and had no artificial after taste.I would call it a grown up and refined Capt'n Black.The flavor was quite good, all-be-it a bit one dimensional.It smoked best in a medium sized bowl.It's characteristics may appeal to someone who needs a nice smelling blend to apease the wife/girlfriend or in a social situation.For lovers of more natural blends & english's however,keep looking... Recomended for Aromatic Lovers prep ===UPDATE=== Sept. 1st "04" I make a practice of leaving a tin of this at work and have been enjoying this blend almost daily.I did hear lately on ASP that the "House of Windsor" has ceased production.I do hope this is'nt true as this is one of the few aromatics that I enjoy...

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was actually disapointed with this one. I dont know whether i got a bad batch. I thought i'd be safe ordering the new 2oz can, but the tobac was very dry and although the tin aroma was wondeful, the taste was very bland. I was expecting a wet captain black type cavendish overwhelmed by vanilla. Maybe ill get another tin and see if it is any different, but for now, i cant see myself smoking this in the future.

Zosk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zosk (2)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is the first black Cavendish tobacco I ever smoked, and I have returned to it now and again through the years. I usually have some of this on hand for the times when I get a craving for straight black Cavendish. This is a very dark brown tobacco, not quite black, with the aroma of raisins, vanilla, and something else I can?t quite identify, perhaps a bit of licorice. In the pouch (I have not yet tried the tinned version), it is rather dry and doesn?t stick together like your average black Cavendish blend. Upon lighting there are flavors of vanilla, and some of aforementioned raisin flavor, with a hint of tobacco beneath. This is definitely an aromatic tobacco, and the aromatic flavoring is there throughout the entirety of the smoke. For me, this tobacco ends pretty much the same way it began, with the vanilla and the raisins, with a bit of pepper as you work towards the end of the bowl. The tobacco isn?t demanding whether you are reading a book, talking on the phone, or having a discussion with friends. It isn?t a complex blend and it doesn?t try to be, it is probably the best black Cavendish I have had, and that is the reason I continue to smoke it on occasion. That having been said, this tobacco has always been kind to me. It doesn?t get too hot or goop up your pipe with funk and I have never been bitten by it. Also, I always get compliments on the room note of this blend. I would certainly recommend this to a newer pipe smoker who is interested in aromatics as it is easy to smoke and doesn?t make a lot of demands on the smoker.

This is one of the best smelling aromatics that I have ever encountered. There is no possible way someone could smell this and not think of a pipe. It is THE classic black Cav. It burns cool, tastes wonderfully sweet, and draws a crowd of female admirers better than free cash handouts. This will bore you to death quickly if you focus on it too much,which is why it is a perfect all day long, no brainer smoke. It would take a devious person indeed who would complain about this baccy.