Burleys and Bright blended with Turkish and Perique with a touch of light New England Rum.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Taste

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As an unabashed and unrepentant fan of English blends it is rare that I post a positive review of a flavored blend. This long gone blend is an exception for me, however. I was gifted a 5 pouch pack of this many years ago from my father. He told me it was good, but he like me, preferred English blends. There was one opened pouch which I sampled. I did like it but it was out of my comfort zone. I put the rest away for years. So many years in fact that the pouches showed signs of bloom (or plume) as cellophaned cigars often show. Eventually I gifted two pouches to a friend who appreciates a wider range of blends than I and kept one for me along with the opened one. Over the last two years I load up a cob of this from time to time. The fact that the tobacco was still smoke ready without rehydration might say something about the PG level at packing, but what I have now does not paste my tongue the way PG'ed blends normally do. As with many blends, the formula claimed by the manufacturer might be made by the advertising department, not the blending line. It seems to be predominantly burley. If there is Latakia and perique in there, I can taste it. The heavy age on my stock I am sure has altered it though. That said, the flavor is quite pleasant, the smoke consistent bowl to bowl, no bite - just a good blend, period. I guess costs rule in today's corporate world and the expensive tobaccos in this did not justify its continued production. And that is a shame.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, briars

Purchased From: Gift

This was my first pipe tobacco ever - over 35 years ago. It had a very "pipey', old-world smell to it and very comforting. I enjoyed its taste and ease in smoking. I wish it were not discontinued as I would visit it regularly. I smoked it on and off until its demise. Recently, I won a 50+ year old all metal tin (with a key attached to its bottom) of Half & Half. Immediately upon opening that tin, I was reminded of London Dock. I would have to say that the 50 year old content was better than any Half & Half that I started smoking in the late 80s. It was very reminiscent all around of London Dock and brings back pleasant memories of it. London Dock surely was a very good OTC blend and I am sorry it is gone. I agree with one reviewer's opinion that Middleton should have discontinued their Apple blend and kept London Dock on the shelf. Recommended - if you are lucky enough to find an old pack or tin from an estate sale.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)

I loved it years ago and wished middleton dropped the apple blend and kept this one . This ones been gone a while .If I remember it was like a crossover type blend ....maybe I'm off, hell , I haven't seen this blend in decades . this was a fantastic blend . There is a blend available in Mexico with the same name and a similar packaging ... however , it is nothing like the original blend , sadly .

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: fresh ... many years ago

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

Im not sure what to make of this one, i have mixed feelings.I had purchased a can online, and i realized this blend is no longer on the market so i sat on it for a while and savoured the idea of smoking it on a special occasion(like a cheap champagne).After a couple of years i figured its time to let the cat out of the bag.The pouch aroma was quite pleasant, but i detected no presence of rum AT ALL.Instead i smelled hints of flowers, maybe some hops with a bit of ammaretto or almond extract perhaps. The cut was to my liking, it reminded me of a prnce albert crimp cut which i enjoy smoking as well. It packed well and had just enough moisture to hold its shape in the pipe. Now before i get into reviewing the tastes of this baccy, i have to admit im a die hard drug store cowboy, and this is what i thought i was getting:A lovely cased burley blend that smelled of rum with a hint of condiment tobacco to compliment and add complexity.....perique and turkish enter stage left!Upon lighting i found the aroma and room note to be very fragrent(almost overpowering) it reminded me of potporri and my Grandmother's perfume. I couldnt detect any rum casing/topping and i found the turkish overpowered the blend completely. I could barley sense any burley at all, and the perique was non existant to me.Please dont take this the wrong way, its just not what i expected. Its a very flavourfull mixture almost too rich to be a drugstore blend, ive heard others compare it to an english blend, but i dont make any connection. If you like turkish blends with a hint of burley i think you'd enjoy this, but if you think your going to be smoking a cased drugstore burly blend, you'll be surprised.I think this is why they stopped blending this one, i think alot of people(that ive talked to)buy it once to try it and it wasnt what they had expected, and thats it.I feel bad for the people that enjoy this one, its like all the other classics that have disappeared that had a loyal following(i also have lost loved ones in the last few years). I wouldnt buy it again, but i will smoke the rest of this stuff from time to time.I could see how this one would be well liked by certain smokers, its just not for me.

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This was my very first pipe tobacco when I started in 1960 (yeah, I'm that old!) and my liking of this tobacco is affected by a lot of nostalgia. The package note was rum, but the Perique added a pleasant, papery balance to the smoke. It lit easily, but often reduced to a slight goo at the bottom of a bowl. The rum casing was evident throughout much of the smoke, but the Perique and Turkish balanced the sweetness. I miss it. It was very popular. I do not understand why Middleton discontinued the blend in favor ordinary run-of-the-mill aromatics (maybe it was some mindless accountant's justification) and I wrote them and requested, begged, and pleaded for its continuance. "No way", I was told.

The Milan version is only an attempt. While it's not too bad, it is affected too much by the "baked cake/cookie" casing that seems to be found in so many tobacconist blends of today. That sweetness overrides the rum/Perique nature of their offering. I can say this with some certainty because I still have three unopened canisters of London Dock carefully laid away and the one that I finished a short time ago was uniquely London Dock, Milan's doesn't compare.

Eventually, I will finish all three canisters. I'll be very sad, but maybe Middleton will take pity by then. But I doubt it.

Sigh.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This review is also for the Milan Tobacconist version "Our" London Dock. I used to smoke this mixture years ago when Kentucky Club made it and always liked it. Middleton took over the brand and eventually drop it from their line.

IMO, this is one of the best rum tobaccos you can smoke. Turkish burleys and perique make this an mild English aromatic. This is a pleasant change from most rum tobaccos which usually are burley & VA. The rum flavor stays in the background and is not overly sweet, and the perique adds a little spice to the flavor. No bite or goop. The room note is very pleasant.

Renee at Milan even offered to send me a sample before I ordered and 1/2lb. They are an excellent company to order from. My shippent arrived in 3 days.

I agree with the other reviews that it's hard to beleive that Middleton drop this blend from their line, considering some of the tobaccos they did keep. This one was a winner!

I tried to post this review on the Milan tobacco list, but "Our" London Dock would not come up.

Highly Recommended

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (112)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

HEllo, This Old Favorite hasn't been around for years. But, you can find it at Milan Tobacconists. Renee from MILAN TOBACCONISTS will help you with your order. This is a smooth blend considered English. Yes, Not all English blends are Full of Latakia and non aromatic. Why, this blend with its smooth Buttered Rum flavor Burleys and with a touch of Perique for added aroam is a classic. Everyone will enjoy this blend when you smoke it. It taste so smooth it will put you to sleep. And a great aroma will please all. I would consider this even better then the orignal if possible. Redd

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as I can tell, Middleton quit making this blend quite some time ago. I have personally seen none available, just empty tins on e-bay. It must have been quite popular at one point, as Milan Tobacconists produce a "replica" of it. These notes and ratings reflect thier product. I found it to be a good blend, with a nutty, spicey, flavor, with a hint of buttery rum. The aftertaste reminds me of buttered toast. The aroma is very pleasing to me. It is delicious with a cup of Irish Breakfast tea. If Milan's version is on the money, I am amazed Middleton discontinued it. A classic American blend.