Vintage Mixture is a supurb Danish Mixture blended to perfection with natural Virginia from the best areas in Malawi and Virginia in the United States and ripe burley from Mexico and Kentucky. To achieve the delicate mildness they have added mild black cavandish. The burley tobaccos have been pressed into cakes and matured, and after cutting the slices are rubbed up. The Virginia leaves
have been cut in a broad cross cut to please the eye and palate. The unique blend has been enhanced by a subtle note of natural sweetness yeilding a mellow rich smoke.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Taste

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This a heavily cased and hence artificially determined blend, which nevertheless does a good job in providing and maintaining an aromatic smoke with no unpleasant surprises.

Its vast array of aromas in the tin (from fruit, to grain and chocolate etc) makes one slightly suspicious as to the origin of all of this bouquet, but I suppose this pertains to all aromatic blends.

Slight tongue bite and possible overwhelming feeling after a couple of bowls due to its dense casing. On the whole recommended for the fans of sweet and heavy aromatics, as it possibly stands out in this genre as one of its best representative. Too much overdone aromatically for my tastes.

Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

As much as I like the Larsen's Selected Blend series, and acknowledge the company's fine craftsmanship and packaging, this blend seemed to me exceedingly bland and sweet in a very artificial sense of the term.

The tobacco is a variegated mixture of black, gold and different brown hues, packed in golden metallic paper, inside an elegant blue tin. The aroma is highly perfumed and sugary.

As with all Larsen's, the tobacco packs well and its easy to light. However, the strength was so mild and sweet that I noticed immediately the first effects of tongue burning. Slowing down my puffing pace, the sensation ameliorated but the sweetness and perfumed aroma were so overwhelming I completely renounced to it.

I keep the tin, with the tobacco inside, merely as a decorative object.

Dark Kentucky Flakes Widower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dark Kentucky Flakes Widower (2)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I'm partial to a fruity aromatic but restrict myself to having just one open at once, usually a 100g tin of a fruity mixture (stored in an air-tight jar of course) will last me 6 months or so. With Larsen's Signature, however, it's been well over a year, I've just finished and man was it arduous, I just couldn't bring myself to smoke it. The fruit flavour tastes particularly artificial, the tobaccos used are flat and the only true tobacco flavour that comes through is a musty black cavendish. Burns hot and can burn your tongue. Room note is good for none-smokers but not the best fruit aroma I've smelled from a briar. Overall I find this fruity aromatic very overpriced and not the treat I was hoping for. There are far classier fruity aromatics out there that you can get for less money, the Kohlhase & Kopp attempts (Peterson's 2013 Limited Edition and K&K's 2014 Limited Edition) are 10x better than this. 1 star is only used with something truly disgusting, and although it's an expensive disappointment it isn't unsmokeable, so it's 2 stars from me.

Pipe Used: Viking Houston, Peterson Irish Army

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Rue d'Or, Brussels

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (78)

Certain aromatics I just don't have the right body chemistry for, and unfortunately this happens to be one of them.

THE GOOD - The tin aroma is a very pleasant light fruit topping reminiscent of canned peaches or pears. The tobacco spilled forth from the sealed gold foil pouch in perfect condition for smoking. The moisture content was that perfect slightly moist state that passes the pinch test with flying colors and ignites with ease carrying forth with an easy slow burn.

THE BAD - While Signature had wonderful room note and a desirable slight tartness, it lacks depth and has a parching effect on my palate. It also severely lacks that slight tongue sweetness that comes through for me with flying colors with some of the other high quality aromatics I have tried lately.

THE UGLY – I don't know what I ever did to the Danes to deserve the punishment that I received smoking this, but Signature is nothing short of a FLAMETHROWER. This stuff has consistently scorched my tongue, so much so that I have officially given up trying to enjoy it. While this is definitely a quality product, W.O. and I just can't seem to get it together amicably on this one.

Somewhat recommended.

Arrostos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arrostos (7)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

When you open this tin, you feel like being in paradise. Like smelling fruits and honey. This one is of very high quality Virginia, nicely packed, but... It's much too expensive and very mild for my interests. I tried to combine it with Brebbia Romanza but the result was awful. If you have any suggestion, you should tell me.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Oh, yeah! Now this is what I call a high quality tobacco. How can I describe a masterpiece in tobacco making? Just that it is full of aromas, so it doesn't have a particular flavor and the fact that it smells gorgeous. I can really say that this is my favorite tobacco and I don't know if there will be anything better than this.

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Signature Vintage Mixture is one of the best Danish aromatic tobaccos out there. Taste/smell/flavor is heaven! Tobacco is top quality; flavoring is Danish style, naturally blended and flavored, colorful and fruity. The smoke taste much better after 2-3 weeks of opening, it also improve dramatically after 2-3 years of aging.

This is a HEAVY aromatic, finely crafted in the Danish aromatic style, a tobacco that impresses people around you, delights you senses and bites your tongue if not smoked slowly. If you like this kind of blend, this is best you can find.

This is my favorite Heavy Aromatic so far

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Update July 08

Tin has been open a couple months I guess... stuffed a Bjarne freehand with this weed. It's almost like 5 or six different tobaccos in one, and the flavor changes from maple to rum to a light fruit (strawberry I guess) to vanilla... it's like whatever flavor you think of... poof, there it is.

The tobacco flavor becomes more prevalent, and this finishes almost like a lakeland. There comes an almost rose-like taste at the bottom of the bowl, and it is exquisite.

Not an every day smoke for me, but I will surely keep some on hand. And the room note is simply special. ----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is an aromatic, plain and simple. If you like tobacco with a dash of flavor, look to Mac Baren Navy Flake or something. This is a fairly heavily cased blend, similar in many respects to Connoiseur's Choice from Peterson. CC smokes a bit hotter and just a touch bitter sometimes, but also has a bit more tobacco flavor.

Tin smell is alluring - anise, fruits, rum? Yum.

Smoking, this does have a fairly monotonous strawberry note, which I thought I would hate, but hey, it's not bad at all.

A very light, easily smoked blend. Aftertaste is pleasant, and that's when you get the idea that there may be tobacco involved in this process.

Top quality aromatic. Not for everyone. Maybe not even for me... time will tell.

Diver Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diver (3)

I must confess it's been more than 3 years since I got stuck in the "experimenting with all sorts of tobaccos" phase. I have developed a range of favourite mixtures, switching between moods and/or pipes as the case might be, but probably leaning more towards Latakia blended ones, the occasional stronger Balkan mix, but not just these to be sure... I am definitely not a huge aromatics' fan, even if very consistently attracted to Danish blended tobaccos. (I let you figure it out if you can! :-))

I bought a tin (a bit expensive for the yield...) of W.O.Larsen's Signature Vintage mixture on a Friday evening whim: "Why not try something else?" Haven't regretted it.

Beautiful presentation, of course, W.O. Larsen obliging: a 100 g. navy blue tin. A powerfull whiff of honey-vanilla-something flavour upon opening the tin, that might get you wondering isn't this just toooooooo much of a tooooooo good thing, the kind that you do not necessarily want to have. Perhaps a bit too moist too, I tend to agree that leaving it to dry out some will probably help. Lighting is easy, and burning no effort all the way. Best at mid-bowl with a nice bouquet developing in both nose and palate. A very subtle and delicate back note then starts being detectable - what is it? Much as I have tried, i couldn't name it. It is the main attraction to me, though.

Well balanced, and definitely not too much of an "aromatics" nuisance. Room note is more than likely to be appreciated and encouraged by those around you. I would say it is just the right mix for someone wishing a change - homely, and good company. I have found out that it is greatly influenced by the type of pipe you use. A nice, if not sensational, surprise to me. Have decided to keep a tin of it around, just in case.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the blend that my son and my wife loves it. A very pleasant room notes and lot of people like it. The taste of virginia with vanilla and cherry flavor is very delightful. If you want smoke without bother other people nears you i very recommend this blend.

zenpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zenpipe (3)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

I've tried this in two different pipes so far, and I love it! It's just beautiful! The tin note is sweet, with strawberries, a hint of raisins, and a definite citrus note - lime? As many others have commented, this tobacco tastes pretty much as it smells. For me, strawberries and raspberries dominate the aroma. The room note is also very nice, and my office now smells like red berries (sweet raspberries in particular)! Incredible. (I should also add that I've only been a pipe smoker for ~6 weeks, so I'll probably re-review this tobacco when I have some more experience.)

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the most wonderful aromatic mixture ever tried, I have smoked to 100g tins . Even after been dried , many months after opening the box, it is still great . Like most danish aromatics even this one does not bite.

ARZAKOA found so many scents in here, that I suspect he blended the Vintage with something illegal. That would explain the bite he expressed, in italian.

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Extraordinary. As mentioned elsewhere, beautiful packaging, lovely tin note and comparable experience in the bowl. No relight required, and virtually no dottle.

Yes, it is expensive, but that should never be a barrier to smoking pleasure - I had to search the world (literally) to obtain Borkum Riff Admiral's Flake Vanilla (finding it in South Africa) and routinely order from HU in Germany.

Smoking a pipe is sharing in the great adventures of past explorers, so belly up to the bar lads, and track this down.

4 stars (and a solid thumbs up from my bride, which always helps the cause)

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (12)

W.O. Larsen's Signature Vintage Mix.

POSITIVE: outstanding tin note. the fragrance is that of apricot and peach with a hint of citrus. I spent a good 5 minutes just sniffing it. The flavor lives up to the tin note. the flavoring does not mask the tobacco flavor, it compliments it in a very nice way. the room note is very nice. it reminded me of my grandfather and brought on an instant nostalgic feeling. the flavor is of a deep tangy fruit with the right amount of caramel. It reminded me of peach cobbler. the flavor lasts all the way through the bowl. The flavors develop nicely as you smoke. the caramel and buttery flavors come out towards the end and you may find your self surprised that the bowl is finished and may even consider packing a bit more.

NEGATIVE: the cost is way to high. were I live, it cost $135 per 100 grams. out of tin it is a bit moist and took several re-lights. drying may be needed as it is in my case.

Overall, I recommend this blend to those who fancy aromatics. it is worth trying (except for the price)

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)

The person blending this stuff gets it right. The topping and/or casing is neither too in-your-face cloying nor too subtle as to be undetectable. I get the delicate taste of strawberries during the first half of the pipeful and flavor of quality tobacco during the second. Imagine a desert of strawberry shortcake without the calories. Delicious.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Very Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

Larsen Signature is a Classic, a Legend.

I propose that this will be considered a Benchmark between the Aromatics, as Presbyterian is, between the English mixtures. It may be voted for the Hall of Fame in Tobacco Reviews.

Sold in a beautiful Blue Can, very well packed into a internal aluminium foil pouch. Their method of packing is quite elegant.

So sweet,pack in the bowl and lights easy, never Tongue Bite, smokes cool and cold, burns very slowly, never burns hot, made with Golden Virginias, Medium Virginias, Little Burley, some Black Cavendish, not charged in Nicotine, (in the manner that fom me, all the Aromatics can be).

Both in the Pouch and in the smoke, i recognize Notes of Caramel and Fruits. Seems to me Pineapple and Mellow. Excelent.

Is a Tobacco without defects..An example of first class Splendorous, Wonderful Aromatic.

Is distinguished between my Favorite Aromatics, among others, as Cellini Classico, Planta Exotic Mixture and Alsbo Silver.

I fully recommend this tobacco.

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Although this blend is too light and mild to get me excited, I can still appreciate the diverse aromas of the burning tobacco and vanilla casing which mesh perfectly and are truly sublime. Unfortunately, the taste includes a slight sourness/bitterness/spiciness that doesn't meld with the significant vanilla casing, and it lingers on the tongue. I will have to try this again in a balsam-filtered pipe.

ARZAKOA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARZAKOA (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Secondo il mio naso all'apertura questa latta sprigiona un delizioso profumo di albicocche disidratate, ma ancora succose, con note di fico e una leggera, ma ben riconoscibile, fragranza di lime. Oltre a questa nota generale, dopo qualche "zaffata" il persistente odore di questa miscela si fa più omogeneo e, secondo la mia personale percezione, rilascia una fragranza di caramello e si sposta pi verso il fico secco ed il dattero.

Il caricamento è facile grazie al trinciato "ready rubbed" molto omogeneo e l'accensione è rapida: fumo questa miscela in un fornello di media grandezza, in una rhodesian curva di 1/4.

Il gusto tende al dolce. Posso percepire il virginia ed il black cavendish, anche se il loro gusto viene coperto parzialmente dagli aromi aggiunti che in bocca tendono molto più verso gli agrumi che non alle albicocche disidratate. Tendenzialmente dolce, con punti di acidità - che personalmente gradisco - noto immediatamente che il Signature "morde" e scalda il fornello già dalle prime tirate: eppure io fumo realmente piano...A 3/4 di carica noto umidità e gorgoglii (a questo punto nemmeno troppo) sospetti, così che decido di rallentare ulteriormente il tiraggio anche per tranquillizzare la mia lingua che ormai è irritata.

La fumata prosegue, e con un paio di riaccensioni arriva fino in fondo. La cenere è finissima e chiara, sembrerebbe quasi incenso se non ci fossero residui d'umidità nel fornello. Cenere d'incenso bagnato, via...Nella stanza resta e persiste un aroma meraviglioso.

Conclusione: Se tanti fumatori di aromatici cantano le odi di questo tabacco, qualche ragione c'è e non la voglio mettere in dubbio qui. Si tratta di un tabacco con un aroma ed un gusto molto piacevoli e siamo quasi tutti d'accordo. Quello che penso a riguardo è che se avete lingue di cuoio e vi piacciono gli aromatici alla scandinava, dovete provare questa miscela, altrimenti e nel caso abbiate la lingua sensibile come il sottoscritto, tenetevene alla larga.

According to my nose opening this tin gives off a delicious aroma of dried - but still juicy - apricots with hints of fig and a slight, but very recognizable scent of lime. In addition to this general note, after some whiffs the lingering smell of this mixture is more homogeneous and, in my personal perception, releases a scent of caramel and moves more towards the dried fig and date.

Loading is easy thanks to the fine ready rubbed ignition is very fast and effective: I smoke this mixture in a medium size bowl, in a 1/4 bent rhodesian i like specially.

The taste is sweet. I can feel the virginia and black cavendish, even if their taste is partially covered by added flavors and now in the mouth there's much more citrus than dried apricots. Through the sweetness, and its with points of acidity - which I personally like - I can immediately feel that the Signature "bites" and heats the bowl since the very first pouff, and I smoke really slowly ... At the 3/4 of the bowl, the smoke begins to gurgle like a turkey, but I was suspecting it, so I decide to slow down mi pouffing even more, also to reassure my tongue which is completely sore by now. The smoke continues, and with a couple of fire-up comes to its bottom. The ash is very fine and clear, it would seem almost incense if there were no residual moisture in the bowl. Wet ashes of incense as I can see ... In the room there is a wonderful and persistent aroma.

conclusion:

If so many smokers sing the odes of this aromatic tobacco, there has to be some reason and I don't want to question about it here. This tobacco's aroma and a very pleasant taste are great, and we all agree about it.

What I think about is if ??you like scandinavian/danish aromatics, and as far as you've got a leather tongue: you must try this blend, otherwise, if you have even the most little sensation that you will get bad tongue bite from this: yes you will, so stay away from this blend.

Cheers

Afraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Afraz (14)

A good tobacco with a bit sour taste if you smoke without filters. (When i smoked with filters the sour taste gone) I smoke it in meer and brair both wasnt bad but not a best tobacco. An aromatic must be try. Maybe i buy it again if i cant find any better aro tobak cuz there is nt much good tobacco here.

Asianhombre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Asianhombre (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am not an aromatic man, by any means. I'm not opposed to those who are but I'm more of a strong, English-blend smoker. But most of what I smoke has a tendency to send my family running for the hills.

The only reason I smoke this is because it is the only pipe tobacco that my family will allow me to smoke in their presence. And I really only smoke it around the autumn and winter holidays.

It has some bite and bitterness to it (typical of aromatics this sweet) and it smokes hot, and requires some drying out before it is manageable. I always seem to get a "wet smoke" if I don't smoke this REALLY slowly.

If you're looking for a family-friendly pipe tobacco, i suggest this or Rattray's "Bagpiper's Dream."

ErichPryde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErichPryde (9)

This is one of those aromatics that will be either a stepping stone for the beginner into the realm of "natural" tobaccos, or one of the four-star pinnacle tobaccos for people that chose to stick with aromatics.

Truly well blended quality tobacco with a good taste, the casing/topping doesn't overwhelm the mixture at all. The room note is of course, as pleasant as an aromatic can be.

Good tobacco, and will easily give many, many of the Va and English tobacco blends a run when it comes to quality.

Aromatic smokers who have not tried this should do so!

Zfog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zfog (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am not an Aro smoker first off. I bought this because the smoking lounge I frequent only currently sells this and B. sasieni which I already have in my cellar. This is a nice tobacco that I recommend. It smells just like the cereal Crunch Berries, especially after a charring light. I smoked right out of the tin and got zero bite from it, the taste is pretty good for an Aro and smells wonderful. IMO this is the perfect Toby for smoking in the company of non smokers!

joel750 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joel750 (6)

Great tobacco!This is what a tobacco blend should taste like, mild to medium.The room note is fantastic.As a newbie pipe smoker,i like Aromatics and this is one of the very best that you could have.Be forewarned for this has a BITE if you're not careful for it is a "sipping" type tobacco and best if you smoke it real slow and just enjoy it w/ your favorite cup o' joe. It has some hints of vanilla & cherries in it.It lights good, keeps lit with very few relights.Great flavor and by the looks of the packaging you know this is Prime tobacco on your hands,the kind that whoever made this product KNOWS tobacco, front to back.This stuff is so good that right after you smoke you one bowl you'll want to smoke another, yup: IT'S THAT GOOD!!!

Rounder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rounder (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

First review here for me. I'm not a aromatic fan and normally do not like tobacco with flavorings added. I like to try different things and I purchased this because when you read the description on the back it says nothing about flavorings being added. That being said, when I lit this up for the first time I was really surprised. The flavoring is not overbearing and I found it a pleasant, nice, change from the normal Virginia's I smoke. I would not make this an everyday smoke but an occasional break to this is not a bad thing. I got a bit of a fruity flavor from it but I couldn't put my finger on it. Blackberry maybe?

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It requires to be smoked calmly or else you're BURNED. After many years, I' tried to re-smoke it. Burley, Black Cavendish, Virginia. It was a present form aunt Rania. Once you open the tin, you get crazy with its aroma. It was quite moist, even though I had it for at least a year. If you don't smoke it calmly, it causes tongue-bite. The nicotine dose is efficient. Quite thickly cut, which helps for slow burning. It does not easily fill the bowl and the aroma (rum, vanilla, strawberries) is quite tiresome. As for the room note, it is needless to say…one of a kind. The price is a bit spicy.

UncleDoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleDoc (8)

This is a decent product. It smells more like liqueur than caramel or vanilla .There is nothing very special about it. It seems more natural and not so aromatic that is a good thing. Very smooth burning with no bite. I think you should try it.

PipeViceroy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeViceroy (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first review. Most of what has been said is correct. My only problem is that I can never finish a bowl. What I mean is that I have tried to pack this differently many times, but about half way to a third of the way it goes out. So I scoop out what has been smoked and relight. But I still love it, flavoring is amazing.

EDIT: It makes a great outdoor smoke. You get alot more flavor from it and it helps keep it lit

classicrider21 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
classicrider21 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This blend is of the highest quality. It is exceptional. I am a traditional aromatic smoker. When I lit this blend up it revealed to me what true tobacco should taste like. I could taste the tobacco and I could enjoy it without an overbearing casing flavor. It is my go to blend. It is worth every penny.

FireTi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireTi (5)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

10/4/2010: __When this Signature tobacco gets close to the bottom of the bowl, I am noticing a very clever fermented natural tobacco taste which is similar to the taste that I get from Peterson Escudo at the top of the bowl before the spicy perique kicks in. This Larsen Signature is a very clever blend. How many tobaccos get better and better the closer you get to the bottom of the bowl so that you don't even want the bowl to end? You will not have any wasted tobacco with this vintage mixture if you smoke it in a dedicated pipe. __Once again I would like to point out that this Larsen tobacco does not like to share pipes with other tobaccos. If you do not have a dedicated pipe, the natural tobacco flavors will be extremely bland and you will think this is nothing more than an overrated bland aromatic blend. BUT, after you get done smoking an entire tin in a dedicated pipe, you will love the wonderful fermented tobacco flavors and you will think that this tobacco has only a mild flavoring, probably flavored aromatically with dried apples. I do not think this tobacco has a casing that is sprayed on like other flavored tobaccos.

9/14/2010: __I have smoked a few tins of Signature over the years. __I would like to point out that this blend will fool you if it has not been smoked in your pipe several times. You might have to smoke as much as one whole ounce of this blend in your pipe before the true flavors finally come out like they should. Dedicate one pipe to this blend, and after you finish the first tin, you will be hooked. __I practice a strategy with this blend which greatly enhances the flavor which I call "the never ending bowl." I basically just dump what is left at the bottom of my last bowl on top of the next bowl that I am preparing. This method produces a flavor which is absolute heaven once your pipe has been properly seasoned.

SwedishPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SwedishPipeSmoker (1)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Update: After four days of airing the tobacco has improved substantially. Much less strawberry and I get a few whiffs of that wonderful room note that other reviewers have mentioned. I still get some strawberry aroma stuck to my tongue, but I think there is hope. Increasing the recommendation to two stars. ---- Original review: Upon opening the foil pouch (inside the nice tin), the dominant flavour is synthetic strawberry. Quite strong and not very nice. My first pipe was also dominated by the synthetic strawberry and that flavour even stuck to my tongue. I was quite disappointed but noticed that several reviewers said that the tobacco improves with airing/drying. Even after only an hour of airing, I notice the strawberry receding somewhat and other aromas emerging. Straight out of a new tin it is pretty awful, but I will revisit this review in the near future.

I do like other aromatics like W.O. Larsens Fresh and Elegant, (although purchased in lose weight so it was already aired) so it is not that I have a particular bias.

Mr. Smithy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Smithy (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

*Edit:

smoked one last sample through a new peterson system 314 i recently acquired. i must say this opened up a whole different experience. SWEET. SWEET! first one third very sweet with the berry of unknow origin punching along with. 2/3 still very sweet with the berry easing up. finished up nicely. no bite if taken leisure. with the system i could not believe the difference in sweet flavor. didnt sour in the stem either

a lot has been said about the flavors in this mix.

i have only smoked 5g. sample packs and most of what i have recieved has been very dry. i really need to purchase a tin to get a more objective view.

i like aromatics, if you dont like aromatics i cant see this being for you.

now to the mysterious and curious berry flavor mentioned. it is indeed puzzled. some say strawberries? i was more inclined to think cranberry or some other odd berry. almost like a boisenberry (for those of you familiar with the pancake syrup). etiher way it is indeed unique. raspberry? who knows?

if you like aromatics, i would recommend you trying this when possible.

Segador Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Segador (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the best Aromatic I've ever smoked, hands down. This beats even Peterson's Sunset Breeze, which is no slouch. It lights easy, produces a very rich white smoke (especially for an aromatic) and the flavor is a subtle blend of caramel and some citrus, which give way to a beautiful tobacco flavor about halfway through the bowl.

The best part is that no matter how hard I puffed, I could not get this to bite. None whatsoever- just a delicious smoke.

If you're an aromatic fan AT ALL, this is a must-try. Amazing.

Heck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heck (5)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I like this tobacco. The smell is great, and it has good flavor. I have a rum aromatic that is very flat to me. Probably because it's pure cavendish. This one blends several tobaccos and the taste is very nice. I get the best flavors on the sides of my tongue. I open my jaw to draw back with my tongue to get the flavor to the right places. I think it may have it's best flavor when the cherry is small for a lighter density smoke drawn through the tobacco. This being the case, a bowl lasts a good while. I think it's important to profile my tastes a bit. I like McClelland's 3 Oaks Original very much, as well as their Frog Morton on the Bayou. I don't like my Buttered Rum black cavendish, because I only smell good rum aroma while tasting absolutely nothing. I have no experience with flakes save one bowl that was to powerful a nicotine jolt for me to enjoy. So, I think my review is more relevant to those who go for English blends and are hunting for an aromatic they would enjoy.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Even though the aromatics are not my thing, I have to say that WO Larsen's Vintage Mixture it's great choice for an aromatic.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This is one of those rare blends that is extremely aromatic, yet retains it's tobacco character. I find that it does not bite, nor taste cheap like a typical Danish blend. A good after dinner smoke to satisfy your dessert cravings. (requires a dedicated pipe).

mtv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtv (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Upon opening the pouch my nose was greeted by fruit, vanilla, and licorice. This blend loads and lights easily. The aroma is aromatic perfume, and wafting through the house it brought favorable comments. The smoke was thick and creamy in my mouth, but I couldn't find the tobacco though, due to the heavy casings competition to dominate. It burned down to a fine ash and the pipe cleaner came out relatively clean. There are better aromatics on the market that let the tobacco stand proud while the flavorings whisper their presence.

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked some English tobacco's, and some Virginia's, but I have found that a good aromatic is this smoker's choice. Those aromatics I have much enjoyed are Torbin Dansk's Black Velvet Gentle Dream, Lane's Black Cordial or Z-50, Solani's 131 Red, and Peterson's Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2009, to name a few.

Packageing and presentation was grand and the scents upon opening the foil pouch intoxicating. The tobacco appearance itself is a marvel and not nearly as moist as I had expected, feeling almost dry.

Smoking this treasure is truly a pleasure of the senses. It takes more lites to get the pipe started with this tobacco than any other I have had in the past, yet once started is quite easy to maintain with no tongue-bite what-so-ever.

The room note is extremely pleasant, light, not overpowering, and does not linger overly long.

Taste is light, very pleasant, extremely delicate and complex with different flavours coming to the fore-front and dissolving just before they can be identified. Clean on the palate. I have wondered if I sensed at times light tones of plum, apricot, nuts, cinnamon, and honey yet still have no definite casing to state at this time. This is what makes this such a fine smoke for myself and thus worthy of a review.

This smoke is definitely a keeper in the lineup and worthy of have a pipe or two devoted to it. Good for smoking socially with plenty of compliments, and for morning, daytime, or evening.

2013/03/22 Have not smoked any aromatics for over a year now. Discovered two factors - "steam-mouth" from the flavouring/humectant, and sensitivity to burley. Have been smoking Va's and Englishs only and my mouth is far less sensitive. This is still a tobacco I would recommend to anyone looking for a quality aromatic, but I have to say my tastes have changed. As an aromatic smoker, I would rate this a (4), but as a Va and English smoker, I must give it a (1) given all the flavours, humectant, and burly.

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (5)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

all i have to say about signature pipe tobacco is try it, you wont be sorry, the taste is fantastic, and the room note is great. w.o larsen came out with a winner with this blend. i highly recommend this tobacco and give it four stars. dutch

madness Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
madness (2)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A must-try blend for everyone smoking a pipe!! Hands-down my favorite. Great in every aspect. Highly recommended.

Kathos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kathos (5)

What a joy!

A beautiful presentation, an enticing scent in the tin and a sweet taste followed by a full lingering room note.

I love it!

A must try for lovers of aromatics.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very best of the aromatics I have tried. It has a wonderful tobacco flavor. At the end of the bowl, the bottom was bone dry. What I tasted was several types of tasty tobacco. A very fine smoke.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (19)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

A blend that had to grow on me.

The tins are quite expensive, but it has the looks and smell of a very high quality aromatic. That being said, the tin aroma is overwhelming when opened for the first time. It smells predominantly of caramel and vanilla.

The first time I smoked it, the taste was delicious. Like eating a rich dessert. At other times it can be too sweet. It can also smoke very hot. I suspect the packing is rather delicate.

Letting this tobacco get some air first makes it much more enjoyable. The taste is predominantly burley/virginia.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first review so I thought it fitting to review my first tin I ever bought. I picked this up not long after I started smoking pipes. I hadn't much experiance with many blends but I knew I was on to something with this stuff! Very enjoyable all around. Smells great in the tin and in the pipe. Not cased too much so there's no soapy taste I hear you get with some other aromatics. Beautiful colors as well. Sometimes I just open the tin to look at it! I give it 3 stars just because I don't have alot to compare it to.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Fruity, Nutty, Sweet Full Satisfaction for Fans of aromatic blends! a must try...

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I got a small free sample of this from my local tobacconist and fell in love with it! It's got a very subtle berry flavor with hints of a rich coffee taste. I hated aromatic blends because smoking soap is not my style, but after smoking this I have decided to give them one more chance!! Good work W.O. Larson, absolutely brilliant tobacco. I HIGHLY recommend it! You might not love it, but you can't hate it!

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If Plato had been an aromatic smoker, he would probably have smoked this. Signature may be the quintessential mild aromatic. Classy tin, the tobacco is a pleasure to look at, it smells delicious between your fingers, the room note is fantastic and you feel like a gentleman while smoking it.

Some aromatics are flat and tasteless; others are sickeningly sweet. I'd say Signature falls somewhere in the middle. Two words best describe this blend: "delicate" and "complex". Like other reviewers, I too find it quite hard to figure out all the different taste layers. I get hints of coffee, raspberry, apricot and corn flakes making their appearance in a mild blend of Virginia and Burley.

It burns well. No bite, except if you puff too hard, which does occasionally happen in an attempt to extract just a bit more strength from this very mild blend.

The room note is delicious - somewhat sweet but far from cloying. Also, it does not cling to a room for long. A polite tobacco for special occasions.

celtipipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
celtipipe (2)

penso sia di gran lunga il migliore tra le mixture di Larsen, di certo il mio aromatico preferito.N on me ne vogliano gli amici pipatori che non condividono questo mio giudizio, a loro chiedo venia e mi appello al vetusto ma saggio detto " de gustibus non est disputandum ". Veniamo al punto, la scatola, come sempre di pregiata fattura, appena aperta soddisfa appieno vista ed olfatto, ( si badi bene, tutto ciò a valersi ESCLUSIVAMENTE per coloro i quali tra i tabacchi apprezzano anche gli aromatizzati; per tutti gli altri, comprensibile quanto banale che sia l'esatto contrario ) la mixture si compone di pregiati virginia autoctoni e africani, ( Malawi ); al colore dorato di questi ultimi fanno da contrasto "dark" Burley del Kentucky e Messico, un morbido black cavendish chiude il cerchio. Il flavour è accentuato ma non pesante, nutty e fruttato con qualche accenno di vanilla. avvertibili anche sentori di rosa in sottofondo che richiamano note già conosciute nell'ottimo "red rose's" di MC Connel.Non ho invece riscontrato il rum che altre recensioni gli attribuiscono, ma per fortuna i palati non sono tutti uguali!!! il caricamento è agevole, è un piacere maneggiare questo tabacco; l'accensione è pronta così come la combustione è perfetta: la pipa resta accesa con un minimo filo di fumo che risulta così eccezionalmente fresco e pronto a restituire tutta la gamma di profumi che sprigiona.Asciutto senza mai alcuna acquerugiola, i neofiti, sono convinto, potrebbero farne il tabacco ideale per cominciare.Infine la fumata che, insolito per un aromatico, non appare mai monocorde,e fino alla fine,sentori di frutti rossi di bosco si alternano a sapori di grano,nocciole,cacaoe vanilla,in un arcobaleno di sapori che tuttavia non copre mai il tabacco,piuttosto lo asseconda portandoVI al termine di una fumata " ricca e rilassante" per me, assolutamente da provare.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm sorry but if you've ever smoked an Acid Blondie you know why I find pipe tobacco aromatics lackluster to say the least.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of the best aromatic tobacco I ever smoked. I mean, if you would like to avoid aromatics, this is not for you. Otherwise, it is one of the best in its genre. Room note really good as well. Strongly recommended for pipe smoking beginners.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I see where no one can agree as to the flavoring agent(s) added to this mostly Burley/Cavendish blend with some Virginia leaf tossed in for good measure. I've read licorice, vanilla, cherry, strawberries, bananas, figs, rum, anise etc... Well, I won't even guess.

A solid aromatic with palate pleasing sweetness that is sure to tickle the aromatic crowd and offers a nice change of pace for the uncased tobacco fanciers among us.

I am glad I finally tried this blend as I've repeatedly been told it is the best aromatic ever unloaded on the pipe hobbyists. I really can't disagree... I put it up there with Iwan Ries 3-Star Banner Lite (although totally different in added taste presentation), which I greatly appreciate as an aromatic smoke.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)

overall, the best aromatic i have ever tried. it has the most wonderful tin presentation you can imagine, it smells wonderful and is full of color and cuts. the flavor is a pretty good tobacco taste with great variety throughout the bowl and with the casing coming into play for the first 1/4 but not overbearing. if not careful this will leave behind the aromatic tongue bite but not as bad as many of this type. i am not much on aromatics but have gone through two tins of this and may buy another down the road.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I was recently gifted three rather elegant tins of Larsen`s aromatic tobaccos - Classic, Old Fashioned and Signature Vintage mixtures. I decided to try them in inverse alphabetical order.

Upon opening the gold foil packaging, the initial aroma was forbiddingly sweet and fruity. Fearful of permanently staining a pipe with the aroma, I chose an inexpensive pipe I keep for trying out dubious tobaccos. Inspite of the moisture it took light easily and burned smoothly without needing many relightings. The aroma was present in the smoke, but not the sweetness. The tobaccos are indeed mild but not completely over-whelmed by the flavouring. There is very litle dottle left at the end of the smoke.

For subsequent bowls I let the mixture air liberally, and some of the aggressive aroma did indeed abate. The drier tobacco smoked with the same impeccable manners, without tongue bite, and without the bitterness that aromatics of suspect quality develop towards the latter part of the bowl. The taste also improved somewhat.

I will finish the tin in due course, but steer clear of this mixture in the future. Smokers of heavy aromatics may find this to their liking.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

An exemplary aromatic that is moderately flavored, just a little sweet, with natural tobacco flavor and a sublime room note. It is also quite cool for the genre and I am able to smoke bowls back to back and have a happy tongue. It smokes dry and leaves no dottle. Burns to near white ash.

I am going to guess that the predominate flavorings added are cherry and licorice, but who knows for sure except Stokkebye?

This is a re-purchase, and I will happily smoke this without aging.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

What a nice aromatic blend!

I must say that this one is a very pleasing tobacco with a great aroma!

I can also detect some strawberry aftertaste...!!!

I am not an aromatic follower but this one has really won me!!!

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

In the pouch this smells like a fig newton, with a touch of vanilla. Once lit it tastes of light vanilla and carmel with a slight hint of fig. A delicious blend for those seeking a tobacco they can smoke around mixed company, as this would offend no one, and you would likely recieve many compliments on the pleasant room aroma.

For aromatic lovers this is a four star blend.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Let alone the fabulous tin presentation, and smell, this concoction should be sold on candy stores rather than tobbacco shops, it's like a bon bon, it has hints of chocolate, apples and something citric, and it has that trademark Larsen sweetness to it, of course we're talking about top quality tobaccos here, even though is one of the mildest things I've ever smoked, a bit too mild maybe, even for me. not tastless, but just too sweet and mild. Then again, it's a solid product, but it's a bit too mild and there's nothing here you haven't already tried before from the same company, now....if you haven't tried any of the fabulous Larsen tobaccos, this one is still a great way to become acquainted with one of the best prducers of high quality aromatics in the world. Just don't ask this to be anything other than what it is: a very, very mild sweet tasting tobacco.

Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I don't like aromatics, but when it comes to them, nothing beats the Danish. I have yet to try a bad one from W. O. Larsen, and this is no exception. The Black Cavendish is outstanding, and the flavoring comes from a bit of vanilla and a fruit which I cannot identify (the closest I can think it's strawberry). What it's really remarkable, thou, it's the room note: probably the best you can get from any tobacco.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

General impression: I well-made Danish aromatic that has both the smell and taste of dried apples & tobacco. Not complex but incredibly tasty and NOT cloyingly sweet at all. Unlike some aromatics, it maintains it flavoring all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. Unless smoked very quickly it does not cause bite.

Who should buy this stuff: Anyone who enjoys good quality aromatics that actually still taste like tobacco will love this blend and ought to run down to their local shop to get some. It is a nice alternative to the many super sweet bulk aromatics.

Final notes: As others have noted, drying this out a little does help its burning qualities and taste. To prevent an unpleasant sourness I would avoid smoking this blend super fast and give it a rest now and then.

SactoSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SactoSmoker (4)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Strong

I have to say this is the best aromatic on earth!!! When you open the tin the wonderful aroma of vanilla and chocolate embrace your senses. A tobac the begs to be sipped slowly and passionately. Smoke it too fast and you will find yourself with mouthful of bitterness and bite. But smoke it slow and you find yourself in heaven. The room note is one of the sweetest and most pleasing aromas in tobacco. I have smoke many aromatic blends from the stand by Captain Black to fine Dan's Davinci. and hands down this is one of the best on earth.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Final Review: I tended to be disappointed. I left it stand for some time and guess what: After some prolonged "breathing" its moisture level went down, its taste became very mellow and the room note superb.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - BUT YOU HAVE TO LET IT STAND AND DRY FOR ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS MINIMUM...

I leave my initial comments (see below) - if any one is interested. I will just add two things:

Late at night, I often find myself reaching for this blend - but it does not give me as relaxing an experince as other smokes do. The toungue bite is almost negligible - which I like.

The sourness I mentioned is there but I tend to accept it and I gradually start liking it. It has not gone away with time - not significantly anyway. Overall, I will go through the tin and probably not bother with this again - just because it is not my kind of flavor. It is a good blend however.

(March 15, 2007): Last night I tried it again. I smoked very slowly trying to synchronize some gentle puffs with my relaxed breathing. I did not go too well. Anyway, after about 5-10minutes I had to interrupt.

I picked up the pipe again this morning. I am sure you realize that this in effect brought about DG (Delayed Gratification) conditions. WHAT A SMOKE! WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT SMOKE IT WAS! The sourness of the flavoring was gone and I could appreciate every minute nuance of the blend's taste!

INITIAL COMMENTS

Not truly decided yet. Reminds me of Captain Black but this is at least 10 times as good. I am not sure whether I will buy another tin though.

One thing is for certain: The first bowls (when the packaging is just recently opened) are just tolerable in terms of taste. The "strawbery" aroma makes it somewhat sour. I hope that it weakens as time goes by. Perhaps I will change my mind then...

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

For those who love strong aromatics this is a must I think. For me, yuggg, I will give it to my wife en exchage it with the potpourri on the toilet. I will smoke the potpourri, as it is less aromatic than this tobacco.

Edit. After leaving the tin open for a day the stuff appears to be a good smoke. The perfume for the most is gone en then it is not bad at all!

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)

I agree with smokepiper, I would never encounter this kind of tobacco. It is so smooth, so good, enough to smoke bowl after bowl... the flavor a wonderful...

So to say, this is one of my favorites.

smokepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokepiper (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I tried this tobaccoblend for about a year ago, the taste is one of a kind. Since then I have tried several labels and never found anything like W-Ö LARSEN SIGNATUR

FiveRings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiveRings (21)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A luxury composite both in packaging and in quality of tobacco . It has a blewberry and caramel underlying taste , and it is quite sweet on the palate . It is a " high end " Danish mix for those who like strong aromatics . Yet , as with most Danish you taste something different than real tobacco. For those of us living in places with very limited everyday alternatives it is a forced choice .