A mixture with a base of Old Belt Virgina, Tennessee burley and Orientals. These have been slowly fermented into a perfect black cavendish. A mild aroma of Vanilla, Chocalate and Walnuts.

(A very velvety Black Cavendish from Old Belt Virginia and Tennessee Burley makes the base of this Loose Cut mixture. Virginia tobaccos from Africa and U.S.A. and broad-cut bright Virginia of Brazilian origin combined with fine aromas of walnut and Vanilla offer a tasting experience of a deeper, finely sweet note.)

BrandW.O. Larsen

3.1
Gustaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gustaw (4)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When buying, I thought it was a non-aromatic. Only after opening the pouch it was obvious that I was dealing with some stout casing. The nose is wonderful, mostly dominated by chocolate and some bitterness, perhaps walnut. Smokes best after a 20 min dry-out. Simply Unique among aromatics is top notch when it comes to the taste, but what really pleases me is the room aroma. It doesn't bite and glows cool, even if you suck on it hard. Good for a sweet, desserty smoke. Quality aromatic!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Larsen's Simply Unique is a decent expression of the classical Danish approach to aromatics—a light hand with the top dressing supported by a mild yet recognizable tobacco flavor. The tobacco looks nice—mostly a thinnish ribbon cut of black and gold Cavendish with some brighter yellow Virginia leaf. The nose is quite forward with a milk chocolate or ‘chocolate box' quality. Moisture level is high enough that it needs a good 20-30 minutes drying time.

It's less intense on the palate than on the nose, and tends to a mild chocolate flavor with perhaps a slight nutty quality. There doesn't seem to be much nicotine. It's a pleasant enough smoke, I suppose, but it also strikes me as very forgettable. Smoking characteristics are ok and the flavor is ok if you concentrate, but to me, this just didn't offer enough to make it interesting.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This Larsen offering is a mild and yet satisfying Aromatic: it's unsurprisingly sweet but not cloying, nutty and creamy (even the pouch has now a cream colour instead of the former black), it smokes smooth and quite cool leaving a good mouth feel, definitely it has all good things one can ask to an Aro. Regarding room aroma, well, it seems that someone has lit up a Lampe Berger near you.

Kylena Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kylena (4)

I can smell walnut aroma from the pouch. Sweet! I found walnut+vanilla note is dominant, with mild chocolate hint. Nutty and slightly creamy. This blend is quite sour (not sure, maybe because of my old pipe). Such a well-mixed aromatic blend, simply unique, like its name. Smokes cool and almost no bite. Great aftertaste.

I bought some pouches and use them as my daily tobacco because it's tasty and unforgettable. It's such a good blend though it's not very amazing. 3 stars for this blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri Corncob Legend

Purchased From: Mr. Ritam PTCI (Glodok, Jakarta-Indonesia)

scoho7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scoho7 (6)

Simply Unique has proven to be one of my favorite any time any day smokes. It is not too strong, has a very pleasant room smell, and is more complex in taste than most aromatics due to the unique mixture of tobaccos. Never too hot and instantly satisfies.

ChaPipedak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChaPipedak (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

In my opinion an extermely balanced tobacco.Virginias are blended very well with Burleys.To be honest i didnt find any note of Oriental...A nice cut.Beautiful flavor to the smoker and to the room without being overwhelming.Ideal for an ''all day'' tobacco.a tobacco with aristocrat character.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

One of my favourites. A sweet aromatic without beeing overwhelming, with a good balance between well mixed tobaccos and flavouring. The smell from the pouch is softly sweet and inviting.

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): intensive but still softly sweet with tones of honey and sugar, with a slightly spicy undertone. Tends to fade out at the end of the bowl (but only the absolutely last few minutes).

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): mild, with a slight spicy parchment tone, but illusive (especially compared to the very strong toungue sensation).

All together: Takes a few puffs to develop its taste, but is sweet with slight spicy undertones (probably from the orient leaves). Just a perfect everyday blend for us who like aromatics.

edit 7.1.2013: changed the form of the review.

TheBavarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBavarian (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a fine example of what a aromatic or danish mixture can be. The tobacco has almost the right moisture out of the pouch, burns down to clean ash without making your pipe gurgle of condensate moisture and as long as you don't push it, the smoke remains cool, creamy and without bite. The roomnote is really pleasant(just the typical vanilla/danish style pipe tobacco notes), the smoke itself tastes like a mixture of vanilla,cocoa,nut and here & there a trace of herbal flavors and cinnamon comes through. Along with these there still is a perceptable taste of tobacco and smokyness that plays together with the flavouring very well. W.O. Larsen must have used some quality leaf here, because even at the end of the bowl with the flavouring stepping into the background, it still remains a tasty smoke. All in all a class A aromatic that easily could become a smokers all day baccy.

merinoff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
merinoff (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm a new pipe smoker, and I've got only two tobaccos to compare, this and some Stevenson, which is not even on this site's list, and is no pleasure at all.

The way I feel it, it's nice and mild tobacco. It was a bit strong (maybe because I'm new to this 'doctrine'), to my taste, and if you smoke it too often, it might fill your room with soundly stifling smell. As I started to season a pipe, the tobacco had a more perceptible taste, but now it seems to have weakened, bringing the icy note.

I think this tobacco is a good start whether you're going for aroma or not (yet I never decided where to go).

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Nice mild tobacco. Not for everyday smoke but sometimes when you need good aromatics. I think it is good for winter holidays and public smoke. Smooth taste during all smoke. No bites.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Nice blend for an aromatic smoker but not for me. I use this for mellowing Cornell&Diehl Bayou Night. Quality tobacco none the less, as all Larsen blends.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very nicely done mild aromatic. Not goopy, burns rather cool, has a sweet taste but you know you're smoking tobacco instead of you grandma's peach cobbler.

For those who enjoy very mild aromatic blends, this is a quality compilation that tosses in a variety of true tobacco flavors as well as the extras.

Massis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Massis (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Upon smelling this tobacco for the first time, I was extremely curious if it would live up to that smell.

After smoking it for the first time, I was slightly dissapointed. The taste wasn't bad, but I expected something better. However, after smoking it from my brand new (self made) pipe, I got convinced: this is a great aromatic.

The taste is rather full, but not overwhelming, the room note is soft and has a bit of nut and chocolate in it. Comparing it to other aromatics such as FireDance Flake or Mac Baren's vanilla cream, this smoke is almost chewable.

This tobacco has no tendency to smoke hot or bite your tongue, but it does smoke a bit wet every now and then (might be caused by the fact I was smoking it mainly outdoors in the wind).

Conclusion: a top notch aromatic, for a great price!

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

Top notch aromatic. Open the pouch to get a fresh whiff of caramel and raisins. Tobacco is not too moist, burns correctly and delivers a great aromatic flavour and room note. Awesome blend. Love it.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, this is definitely not a tobacco to recommend to anyone (I mean even beginners). The very complicated mixture description from WO Larsen hides a very mild dull taste. Very mild, aromatic, and tongue bite if you tend to smoke too fast.

JackinJapan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackinJapan (12)

This and Sweet Aromatic are my two favorite W.O.Larsen blends (of the ones I have tried so far). Both have very little bite for being aromatics and are simply delightful.

Opening a Simply Unique pouch treats you to a heady aroma. Though the description says vanilla, chocolate, and walnut flavoring, I find the first thing that comes to mind from the pouch aroma is rum raisin. That said, upon lighting I can definitely spot the vanilla and walnut in the taste of the smoke. The chocolate mentioned is a bit more elusive for me but I think I can spot it. At any rate it is very high quality tobacco, nice moisture content but no problem to light and keep lit right from the very start, burns relatively coolly for an aromatic and the flavor is consistent through the whole bowl (I find Sweet Aromatic on the other hand has an truly outstanding taste on first light that becomes more subdued relatively quickly in comparison). Although I don't experience much problem with a bite from this tobacco, if you find yourself getting bit some perhaps smoking more slowly or maybe even taking a short break mid-bowl will help. At any rate, I really like this tobacco and it is one that will remain in my steady rotation.

----------------

Bottom line: A delightful smoke, great pouch aroma reminiscent of rum raisin, sweet vanilla and walnut taste from the smoke easily identifiable and consistent. Lights and burns well. Highly recommended for any aromatic lover or for a change of pace for English blend fans.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

SIMPLY UNIQUE...7th-03-2008.

I fully agree that Simply Unique,is just that! For anyone new to pipe smoking I strongly suggest you try this. It won't burn your tongue to shred's,as long as you puff slowly and gently! (Steady as she goe's,and you'll have very smooth sailing to the bottom of the bowl) "HIGHLY RECOMENDED" TO NEW SMOKER'S,OR,THOSE WHO LIKE A GENTLE SMOOTH SMOKE.That doe's contain a pleasant topping of some sort?

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

My first review!

Upon opening the pouch, I felt a quite pungent smell, not too bad, but on the same note, not to exiting either. Tobacco was a bit dry.

Easy to pack and light, I rarely need to relight though.

Now, As this is a quite mild smoke, maybe I puffed a bit to hard, the result was a very hot pipe, and tounge bite. Although the tobacco was dry, my pipe got a very very bad case of emphysemic gurgles.

I tried to add a bit of moisture and put the tobacco in an old resealable tin. I then let it rest for a day. The moisture of the tobacco was now more like the usual tobaccos I smoke. Now the tastes came out a bit more, a boozy top note I did not care for. The pipe now got scolding hot, the varnish on my pipe bubbled upp and came off!! Putting the pipe down I could pour out clear liquid, and lots of it. Loading it into a church warden pipe from peterson did help a bit. But the tounge bite was nasty, never been bitten at all using the church warden before.

Anyway, stay clear of this one. I have only smoken one worse tobacco in all my life, and that is orlik club. Even the raw tobacco from my garden tastes better after only a dry out in the oven.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I like aromatic tobaccos but am not keen on ones that are overly sweet and sickly. This one smells slightly boozy in the pouch though I'm not quite sure what of exactly. This is not as sweet as Alsbo Black but has that similar continental aromatic casing.

I found it had a tendency to burn quite hot and there is a vague threat of bite lurking there if puffed really hard - for these reasons it will not be replacing Glen Piper as my current all day smoke. I will however be happily finishing the pouch and may even order another...

Good room note so should please non smokers for those of you allowed to puff indoors! Nice classy packaging from Larsen.

Recommended for those with a sweet tooth.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I was given a pouch of Simply Unique as a gift from Germany and had a really hard time finding it in USA. Eventually we were reacquainted via a Spanish online store and I must say I am Simply Delighted !! Aroma from pouch is very pleasant - a nutty backtone - but subtle and mild.Packs and lights easily. A balanced non aggresive smoke - consistent from first taste to final few moments.Nothing to go "woo hoo" about but a nice regular in my stable of tobacoo's.Comforting sums it up !

Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Elegant black pouch with golden letters, this is a nice, easy going, mild smoke, on the sweet side of things. The Orientals are barely noticeable, whereas the Burley and the Cavendish are very much in evidence. A slightly floral-honey like flavor, in that great Danish aromatic tradition, rounds things up (if only the guys at Lakeland used these flavor agents in their Grousemoore thing!!! ).

Nothing to get excited about, Simply Unique is a mixture that, without being all that unique, it presents all the fine qualities of Larsen's tobaccos: beautiful leaf, perfect moisture level, easy to light, and if smoked at a proper pace it won't burn your tongue (fast puffers beware!). A nice indoor tobacco, polite, suited for the beginner and very mild.

Ok, I smoked only a couple of bowls of this so don't take my word, but this seems like a close cousin of Amphora Black, only it's slightly better. You can certainly find a lot worse in the world of aromatics: at least this one doesn't leave your pipe full of gunk and is actually quite plasant and tasty.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A brilliantly light, yet tasty baccy from W.O. Larsen. Vanilla and chocolate dominate, at times providing a distinct likeness to a mug of great hot chocolate. Alternating with this is a more "baked" taste, slightly spicy (this must be the orientals "kicking" in), like, say, cinnamon added to your hot chocolate. So there's fine, quality tobacco underneath the casing. The taste is quite light all the way, developing more to the spicy variety by the last 1/3 bowl.

Charring light fine. Burns well, tends to need a few relights. No big japes there, just the normal procedure. Works well indoors as well as outdoors (a sunny winter's day, fresh air of the forest provide a great backdrop).

Room note is very pleasant, and has been favorably commented on by many a patron at the house bar.

Overall, the lightness of this blend is nice for a smoke any time of the day. OTOH, lightness can induce tongue bite, though Simply Unique is quite well-behaved in that respect, allowing one to puff quite at will. Made it to my regular routine in one go.

UPDATE: Half a year later, still fine. Actually, has gained a few points from me now in the Summer time. The warmer air helps open up the taste, more "filling" now, not as narrow a taste as in winter. Good choice for the lighter smoke, any day. (And any season).