This Cornell & Diehl blend hearkens back to porch settin' and checkers playin': Easy Times. Red Virginia is combined with dark-fired Kentucky, Burley, and a bit of Latakia for a classic, laid back American English mixture.

Tin Description before 2012: A traditional blend of red Virginia, Latakia and 20-year old fire cured Kentucky.

Notes: GL Pease noted that the famed 20 year-old Kentucky stock, which were shared between GLP and C&D, was exhausted sometime in 2012, and since then that blends using a different, though exceptionally similar, supply of Kentucky.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol II, #3

Ugly and dirty looking in the pouch... sort of a long, dark pencil shaving appearance. But in the pipe, this is a nice one! The Kentucky plays the lead role, with the VA and latakia in the background. There is just a touch of sweetness and smokiness and all this huge burley flavor. C&D burleys tend toward the "earthy" side of things rather than the "nutty", in my experience. This tends to make for a more robust smoke and, quite frankly, Easy Times is not what I would have named this blend. I wouldn't care to smoke this all day long. But at the right times, this is a winner.

This is a highly non-complex blend with excellent full flavor and a nice punch to it. If you love burley, you have to give this one a try. Runowski and Tarler's genius with the burley leaf is amazing!

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My first burley based blend, big bold burley flavor, light Latakia and a dash of sweetness from the Virginias, a full bodied smoke that burns like a dream.Excellent

20/05/2011 I just received an 8oz tin of this wonderfull weed and i can honestly say that this weed will never leave my rotation.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)

C&D easy times (please note that the blend dose not have the 20 year old Kentucky but C&D states a similar quality is used) none the less a great smoke from C&D with red Virginia bringing great sweetness a little smoky from the mild addition from the Latakia and a good Nicotine hit from the fire cured Kentucky burley. A great creamy smoke that when left to dry for an hour smokes easy and cool.

Pipe Used: Savinelli long Jhon

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you like your tobacco strong, earthy and not too sweet, this one has you covered. Not as smoky as I expected given the components. The Latakia is light and provides a little woodiness to the Kentucky's strong earthiness. Smokiness is on the mild side with only a slight acrid note that can be easily ignored. The Virginias are very light offering only a hint of sweetness and no flavor. I can see that this would be handy as a quick fix when you don't have time for a full bowl. It'll get the job done with just a few hits. I don't think I would like to smoke large bowls of this ever, but a medium sized bowl every now and then would be welcome. This is a good one.

Body is full (strong). Nic is medium to strong. Taste is medium to full. No added flavorings. Burns beautifully. Same in briar or cob.

Pipe Used: Chacom cutty, MM Little Devil Acorn

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Easy Times is very appropriately named. It's easy on the nicotine, easy on the Latakia, easy on the Virginia and easy on the flavor. The Kentucky leaf kept me interested for a bowl or two before I donated the remainder of the tin to my pipe club's tobacco bar. I prefer something that demands my palate's attention.

Legionnaire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Legionnaire (26)

The blend I currently have on hand is the one with the 20 year old fire cured Kentucky, so that’s what I’m reviewing.

If you like good ol’ American non-aromatic blends, you’ll like this.

Somewhat on the dry side in the tin and packs easy. Very flavorful and slow burning. The Kentucky does have a big of a nicotine punch. No bite.

One of my favorite C&D blends.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: www.pipestud.com

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (59)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is perfect for a Summer day. It is light and balanced. No one tobacco dominates and the taste is a combination of a little sweet and a little smoke. The room aroma is of a fire fueled by pine or balsam. There are some dark notes, but they are few and far between. The flavor stays the same from first light to last puff. There is no tongue bite and the smoke is plentiful without being too rich. This really would be the perfect tobacco to smoke while playing checkers because it is a nice flavor, but you will not need to give it your full attention. I also think this would be a good introduction to those curious to try a blend with Latakia. For the veteran smoker, this blend will provide a nice and easy smoke for sitting on the porch with a fruity Ale or even sweet tea. The tin I got was a little dry so some rehydration may be in order. Oh, and the nicotine hit is mild. The ash burns down to a fine gray. Unless those around you like the smell of traditional tobacco, this will not win you any admirers, however.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Cornell & Diehl - Easy Times.

The first thing I noticed when I removed the lid was a huge piece of tobacco that looked like the cap from a cigar! O.K., I can accept that, but I can't accept the dryness of the blend. One star went before a bowl had even begun!

The smoke: I can see how many folks will find this brilliant, but the appeal somewhat misses me. The boldest of all the tobaccos is the Kentucky, for the initial quarter it's a little too much for me. After a quarter of a bowl the Latakia becomes more of a flavour; not a 'driving force', but a tasty seasoning. The Virginia sits WAY behind, struggling like anything to compete with the brash Kentucky. The last quarter tastes a bit more like an 'English', compared to the first. Although the Latakia's nowhere near the strength of something like, say, Sam Gawith Balkan Flake, the Kentucky begins to subside a bit. Due to the dryness the burn is terrible, hot and fast, and I also get some bite from it.

The nicotine: strong. The room-note: strong.

I'm not a fan, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt by awarding two stars, not one!

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Right Wing Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Right Wing Piper (11)

This blend is just a good old fashioned American blend reminiscent of what my grandfather smoked. Ok, he smoked Prince Albert but he would've loved this. The Kentucky burley is the predominant player with the Virginia and Latakia staying in the background but definitely making their presence known. A relatively dry tobacco with no flavorings to muddy the waters. It's just a good smoke to enjoy with a cup of hot tea on a winter night with a good book.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, briar, cob

Purchased From: Pipestud's Consignment Shop

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

don't waste your money this blend ng from the first light to the end never again will I buy this blend I can think of much better blends to spend my money on

Pipe Used: poker

Age When Smoked: 2yrs

Similar Blends: none.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is a nice blend but nothing "wows" me. The latakia is very very light, which is OK with me, unless I'm in the mood for latakia. Seems more like a Virginia blend to me. It is, however, nice and strong. That's a plus.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Very good but... 1) the content of my tin was too dry, although I must say it burns out just perfectly.. so maybe it was intentional. 2) latakia is really just an idea here.. Wonderful and rich smoke to me, lovely. Reminds me CD Brian Fox, a lot, must be the same burley . Will buy again.

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I did enjoy this, I felt it was similar to Sunday Picnic in its basic form, but a slightly different character. Either that or my pipe was heavily ghosting the Sunday Picnic.

It was a most enjoyable smoke, the smoke was a bit nippy at the tounge, and was much warmer (temp.) than Sunday. No real flavor popped out, it was a nice afternoon smoke while walking along the hudson. Temp 80deg at 78% hum. Felt like 90 at 90%......

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

A worthy English, if you like burley in your English blends. I sometimes do, so this was a nice blend for me. It has a bit of natural sweetness. The burning qualities of this tobacco are good, too.

It just wasn't quite rich enough to earn a top rating; so while it doesn't satisfy as a evening smoke, it fits as a morning or afternoon blend.

Govern Yourself Accordingly

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I normally like traditional American blends, including those with latakia, but this wasn't very satisfying to me. The taste, aroma, everything, is like hearing your favorite song being played on your neighbor's stereo -- you could enjoy it if the sound wasn't so muted by the wall. I know this blend's name is "Easy Times," but I don't think "easy" should necessarily equal "boring." On the plus side, what flavor I could detect was very nice, and it seems as though the tobacco quality is good. Others will probably like this blend more than I did.

Group 4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Group 4 (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Now here's a straighforward and satisfying burley blend. There's latakia in it but it's used more for background flavor and only becomes prominent at beginning of the bowl and during relights. As the tobacco burns the latakia recedes and the nutty roundness of the Kentucky burley becomes dominant. Easy Times is an apt name for this blend because it demands so little on your part, both in preparation and during smoking. And like Martha Stewart would say..."that's a good thing."

ET seems to gather a little strength through the bowl but it's not dramatic; it holds up a medium-bodied front throughout. It burns coooly and produces little moisture.

I'm smoking this in a smaller (Group3-4) pipe and as the last bowl of the evening, it seems like a good cap to a day of fuller latakia-heavy blends. I keep on passing my nose over the bowl while it burns because it has such an appealing aroma, smooth, not acidic or ashy. I could easily see myself smoking this more often, especially as a change of pace, or when I'm not quite sure what I want.

Addendum 10/9/06: I really missed the boat here, not mentioning the red Virginia in this blend. It's really apparent when first lighting-up but also plays genially with the burley and latakia. Still liking this stuff.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

This is another of the Americanized English blends in the C&D arsenal. The burley is up front with the Latakia on its heels. The VA peeks out from the background. The Latakia seemed more pronounced in Easy Times than in other of C&D?s American English blends I have smoked but maybe that?s just my palate. Because of this, ET would not be an all day smoke for me; I would find it better suited for the cooler months.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.6 out of 10.

Too much Latakia to be a favorite or an all-day smoke for me. The Latakia is a very fine leaf indeed. Very different from the usual English blends. The Burley is perhaps what makes Easy Times unique. And yes it is strong, so be forewarned if you can't tolerate much nicotene. Very smooth and enjoyable.

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Mostly mohagany to red leaf. Specks of darker leaf here and there. Smellss like delicious red VA with a good amount of the burley aroma also evident.

Packing and Lighting: both were easy with the moisture perfect out of the tin. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: sweet, red VA, but also smoky from the Kentucky and Latakia.

Mid-bowl: This is a VA/Burley lovers delight. I love the wonderful interplay between the leaves. Very robust in flavor with the latakia and kentucky working as a charmed condiments.

Bottom of Bowl: A surprising build up of strength. Nicotine quantity surprised me a few times. Burns to a dry mottled ash.

Overall: While this is a change of pace blend for me, it is a delicious, high quality offering for the VA/burley lover. The complexity is amazing from the seemingly simple individual elements. The aftertaste is spectacular as well, with ocassional bursts of sweetness as your saliva breaks down the residue left in your mouth. I will definitely keep a few tins of this blend around. You do not have to worry about tongue-bite either with this blend as it offers plenty of flavor at slow to medium puffing. This blend worked best for me in big pipes, group 5 and bigger. Thanks again C&D!

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I bought a tin of Easy Times based on the above review. It is not too Latakia laden! A little Red virginia thrown in. I mostly taste the exquisite fire cured burley to be honest which is rather potent in the nicotine department. Like the tin artwork shows, maybe you should smoke this blend doing something safe. Like playing checkers. Tin aroma is pure latakia, so it scared me at first but alas Easy Times is easy going....

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have smoked several of the C&D bulk burleys and enjoy all of them. This C&D burley is no exception. It is one of my favorites. One difference between this and the bulk burleys is that the physical characteristics of the tobacco look more consistent. The blend is cut in a fine ribbon with little dust or sticks.

It is packed (very!) tightly into a small tin and the moisture level is on the dry side - perfect for smoking - when it is opened. The taste is of high-quality burley, rounded out and mellowed by the added latakia and Virginia. It tastes slightly musty, rather than sweet, with a slightly bitter burley edge that gets stronger later in the bowl. It is very satisfying, with a taste that does not get tiresome for me and with a moderate-to-strong nicotine load.

The only reason I gave this three stars instead of four is that it is substantially more expensive than the C&D bulk blends that are comparable to this one. I definitely will try this one again; my tin disappeared quickly.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Easy Times is yet another fine example of a unique blend from a master tobacco blender. It is a different type of smoke than my usual rotation of English/Balkan/Virginias, and so it has taken me a bit of time to warm up to the blend and develop an appreciation for it's character.

Upon opening the tin, the aroma is quite inviting and the Latakia is most noticable. The cut is a medium ribbon, and the colors range from light to medium brown w/ about 25% darker leaf showing. Moisture content was good, although I feel that a little drying will result in a smoother smoke.

Upon lighting up, the initial flavor is good; Latakia and burley mostly w/ the the Virginia providing a pleasant background, but with very little of the residual sweetness that I was expecting. Mid bowl, the burley turns nutty and balances out the smoky component nicely. By the end of the bowl, the flavor has developed towards a smoky creaminess w/ little or no trace of Virginia left at the finish.

I have no trouble lighting or keeping this blend lit, and it smokes well right down to the last bit in the bottom of the bowl. The room aroma is not the most pleasant to the uninitiated; my wife won't come outside when I smoke this one and says that it smells like burning leaves. Oh well, more for me...

As with many burley blends, this tobacco definately needs to be smoked slowly. Puffing too quickly, especially in the last 2/3 of the bowl, will result in a harsh bitterness. Gently sipping at this one provides the pleasant goodness described above. Overall, my impression is a different type of smoke; full bodied but not intense. I find this to be a nice change of pace on occasion.