Abingdon is the fullest Balkan style blend in the range. It is rich and robust, powerful and forthright, yet still possessing subtlety and finesse. Dark flavors of wood and leather mingle with delicate undercurrents of sweetness, and deep earthy notes, while the oriental tobaccos provide hints of their verdant, sometimes herbaceous character. A big Balkan blend, reminding us once more of what these blends used to be. Because of the high percentage of dark and oriental tobaccos, it's recommended to pack Abingdon a little less firmly than you might a lighter blend.

Notes: Abingdon was released in July, 2003

3.4
Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

FINALLY I've found the right Pease blend for me, in Abingdon. Abingdon is a dark, sultry, rich, smooth, full balkan that does everything right and nothing wrong. It has most of the upsides and flavors of the excellent Charing Cross and of the very big, rich Odyssey, without any of their downsides. Abingdon is never harsh, bitter, excessively heavy, biting, or too moist. It is a perfect cut, and smokes great right out of the tin, in a most trouble-free and surprising manner.

Abingdon, for such a full-flavored, deep, dense, smokey balkan, has a fantastic, masterful balance between the plentiful cyprian latakia, assertive tangy orientals and slightly sweet virginias, which is quite unlike my experiences with most other Pease blends. The latakia firmly but gently controls the entire smoke from top to bottom of the bowl, being properly complimented in the right proportion by the other tobaccos, but never ducking out, and never being overpowered by any other leaf. Due to this better and more harmonious balance, Abingdon's flavor, room note and aftertaste are superior to Odyssey, without Odyssey's cloying, bludgeoning, occasionally oppressive excess of latakia.

Abingdon also lights, and stays lit, far easier than Odyssey. I can easily smoke Abingdon in a fine old Nording Giant or Ser Jacopo Maxima for over an hour without need for relights, so long as I am generally attentive, don't pack too tightly, and tamp occasionally, very lightly.

The orientals in Abingdon also never become acrid, biting, harsh, drying in the throat, or overly assertive, as they can be in Charing Cross if that blend is pushed, which is the Achilles heel of Charing Cross. In fact, I find Abingdon to taste quite similar to the excellent flavors in Charing Cross, although perhaps a bit less intense/earthy, and certainly less controlled by the orientals, which can occasionally be too dominant and assertive in Charing Cross at the mid-bowl.

In all, Abingdon gives me the full, dark, rich, savory flavor I crave from Pease's heavier balkan blends, but does so in a refined, balanced, easily managed, low-maintenance manner that makes it a true pleasure. A top-notch, four-star smoke. Abingdon has become my favorite Pease blend, and is possibly the best heavy full balkan on the market.

Xyzzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xyzzy (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Warrants a category higher than "highly recommended". Perhaps "enthusiastically" or "fanitically".

As the latakia content in this blend is quite high, I pack this blend gravity/soft/medium instead of a typical soft/medium/hard packing.

-- The following is a simple cut+paste from my Charing Cross review (and IMHO applies equally well here) --

Between Charing Cross, Blackpoint and most of all Abingdon, I don't miss my old long lost favorite 759 quite so much. As for the specifics of the smoking experience, the tin description pretty much sums it up. Compliments from other reviews pretty much fill in the blanks.

1. If the tobacco is too damp, you'll have a hot smoke.

3. Balkan blends should be packed _slightly_ more loosely.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Update 07/26/2008

I had moved on to other tobaccos for quite some time, but recently got out a Mason jar of this that had aged for at least 2 years. That extra aging really smooths out this tobacco. So if you found the orientals to be a little too overwhelming, try aging it and go for it again.

Original Review:

Well I'm still in a quandary about which is the best Balkan out there. Greg's two latest offerings in the Balkan field of Charing Cross and Abingdon are both outstanding, though Balkan Sasieni and VegasSmokes' Babylonia are also near the top. Charing Cross and Abingdon are spicier in the Oriental elements than Balkan Sasieni, much in the same way that Lane's old Crown Achievement was (NOT the new bulk version of CA).

Charing Cross is probably the most overtly Balkan of the group, sometimes tasting a little too spicy. Abingdon seems to me to be a little more refined. Like all of Greg's blends they are perfectly cut and packed, have few hard pieces or stems and is at just the right moisture level right out of the can.

Of my four favorite Balkans Charing Cross and Abingdon are less laden with latakia. Balkan Sasieni is less spicy and has stronger latakia and leaves a musty room odor. Babylonia is less overtly Balkan and has a hint of some naturally sweet Virginias.

I have had very good success mixing all of these in varying proportions as a change of pace and have found that the two Pease's complement Sasieni and Babylonia nicely in almost any proportions I have tried.

Greg- I hate your narrow cans!

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (30)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

My friend " Virginia Lover" introduced me to this tobacco and I was immediately enchanted by it. I have been a devout dunhill english mixture smoker for many years and I am lucky to have enjoyed many tins of the murrays era dunhills.

The orlik variety, although not terrible, never had the strength and flavour of the murray's variety I so enjoyed.Despite this decline, I for some reason continued smoking the new variety out of habit, and well, accepted it.

This tobacco brought back the memories of the stout fuller latakia mixtures I used to smoke. The latakia is exceptional, and the flavour is leathery, spicy and incense like. This is the best modern day representation of a traditional latakia mixture that I have tried so far.

The bowl starts of on a more sour and slightly acrid note, but that quickly dissipates, and the flavours all start to emerge. The smoke is creamy and thick and the burning qualities are excellent.

This is my new Dunhill!

G.L Pease, I am impressed!

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (25)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

G.L. Pease's Abingdon from the Classic Connection is an outstanding Balkan mixture. Well, at any rate it is outstanding. There is some dispute concerning what constitutes a Balkan mixture.

The term apparently goes back to the original Balkan Sobranie, which was a Virginia, latakia, and oriental blend. The latakia component was strong. So was the oriental, which was the legendary Yenidje.

Over the years, Balkan Sobranie mutated. The latakia kept dwindling, and the oriental became generic. The current reincarnation, produced by J. F. Germaine, is supposedly a clone of the original. I have not smoked this recent effort.

To be a Balkan, does the oriental need to come from the Balkan geographic region, roughly the Macedonian region of Greece? Mary McNeil of McClelland is on record averring this to be the case.

What if other tobaccos than those used in Balkan Sobranie are part of the recipe? For example, Dan's Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend has Kentucky (smoked burley) and perique in the recipe.

I am using the term Balkan to refer to a Virginia, latakia, and oriental (wherever it may be grown) blend, with the latakia and oriental being medium or medium to strong in the composition. By that measure, Abingdon in a Balkan, and a very fine one it is, in a genre which features a number of outstanding pipe mixtures.

The cut is small, almost a shag, and Abingdon lights easily and stays lit. It smokes dry. There is a respectable nicotine hit, but not one that is overwhelming.

For whatever reason, Abingdon does not have as heavy a creosote odor in the room note as most mixtures heavy in latakia.

Abingdon has considerable complexity. By that I mean that it does not remain the same puff by puff, top of bowl to bottom of bowl. Instead the constituent tobaccos interact in a varied manner during the smoke.

Aside from the sub group of pipesters who do not like latakia at all, I give Abingdon an unqualified recommendation.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (118)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My first G.L. Pease review. This middle of the road Balkan is flawless. A natural smelling tobacco off the tin with the perfect moisture to light up and enjoy.

A creamy and dry smoke, for me a sign of balance between the ingredients. The Latakia is leathery, I even get some incense married to perfection with Virginia bread and fruit sweetness. Very earthy I also discern herbal notes that gives it a very oriental disposition. All this in a symphony of flavors that could be smoked all day as the nicotine content is extremely manageable.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (26)

The first two sentences in the description tell you everything you need to know. Yes, there is a constant presence of Latakia, but the orientals come out on the tail end. Absolutely no bite, and I really tried to make it bite. I let the first bowl dry out for 2 hours. It didn't burn all the way to the bottom. About a third of what I packed became dottle. I blame the south Florida humidity and the limited drying time. Next time I'll let it dry for 4-5 hours. And I didn't follow the recommendation to pack it "a little less firmly" than normal. With all that it was still a great smoke and I expect it will only get better. It also left a pleasant aftertaste, not like some blends that leave a horrible taste for hours. This was my first experience with G.L. Pease. I hope all their tobaccos are this good. Recommended. EDIT 4/1/14: I let it dry in my travel pouch for a few days. It really mellows out and the scent starts to remind me of an old library. It's weird to be tasting that, but not unleasant. Still recommended.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I've never known a blend it's taken me so long to make up my mind about: I practically had to reach the bottom of my 2oz tin (13% more than the standard 50g tin!) before I could reach a conclusion.

My initial experiences of it out of the tin were not very pleasant. Indeed my first bowl was so off-putting I had to wait a month or two to try it again, though I knew I would get around to it someday because there was something special there, and I give every blend several smokes so that I get to know it on its own terms. So when I finally got around to it again I came to understand it more. I couldn't say I enjoyed it's complex, full flavor on the surface of it -- the whole in some ways seemed to exceed its parts, and not necessarily in a good way. But there was something in it I found irresistible, so even though I didn't necessarily enjoy it I kept going back to it. It was somehow simultaneously overpowering yet subtle.

There's no doubt it was a quality blend, even from the first. I mean, it was certainly very smooth and creamy and biteless, and yet somehow raw and strong. I just couldn't wrap my tastebuds around it. I figured each bowl was going to be my last since I was slightly repelled by it, and yet I looked forward to my next bowl.

It's flavor was uniquely alluring, and it cast a spell on me: strong, very full, with an oddly musty flavor. UncleGar used the word "creosotic", and [no name] used the word "corky", and they're both on to something. I would add that I taste something piquant, even bitter with hints of sweetness around it, like Angostura bitters. Indeed there's something elemental about this blend, something of the earth and dirt (and creosote and cork), salty, leathery, musty -- strong, raw, subtle, creamy and smooth all at once. I'm reminded of the way Lagavulin has that incredible essence of iodine to it. Abingdon's flavor is so unique that I found myself craving it even when I wasn't sure I liked it much.

I've finally decided that this blend is a masterpiece -- it just took me a long time to appreciate it for what it was on its own terms, much like Schoenberg's music for the classical music lover wading into the twelve tone waters for the first time. I suspect that with more aging this blend will be otherworldly.

Pretty women who aren't beautiful are fairly common. But beautiful women who aren't pretty are something special, each one uniquely mysterious. This is a beautiful, even exceptional blend -- it's just not a very pretty one.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me try to divide my review in a few different categories in the hopes that I can be more objective, which is devilishly hard to do when it comes to pipe tobacco.

Flavor: The flavor is full but not at all harsh. Like a good Balkan Latakia is the main player, closely followed by the Oriental and with the Virginias very present but still in the background. I'd say the amount of Latakia is perfect for a blend with a healthy portion of it since it makes it "kick" but does not overpower the other delicate flavors.

Complexity: Very complex blend, the flavors change as you smoke it and yeet it remains very consistent. At first light all you get is Latakia and a hint of the Oriental, but as you progress through the bowl the Orientals start building up and stand up to the Latakia beautifully.

Aroma: Very full and leathery, with the Orientals and Virginia giving a somewhat strong (or at least very noticeable) natural sweetness.

Tin aroma: Latakia with the sweet/spicy pungent Orientals being clearly present.

Room note: What you'd expect from a Balkan. I like the roomnote but my wife says it stings her nosetrills. It is a somewhat heavier note than other Balkan blends. Probably not something you'd want to smoke in teh company of non-smokers.

Burning characteristics: Burns very cool and dry to the bottom, there is absolutely no gunk at the bottom of the bowl. I have sometimes tempted it and puffed too fast and my pipe was still cool. Absolutely no tongue bite to speak of. It lights easlily depending on how you prepare it. If you layer it it lights up easily, if you use the air pocket method if will take some effort to light. I think the air pocket method makes blends taste a little fuller and while I favor it for some blends I prefer to layer this blend.

Cut/looks/moisture content: The cut is somewhat coarse and broad, which I find it to compliment the blend since it makes it burn at the perfect pace. Moisture content is perfect too, not to wet or sticky and actually somewhat on the dry side. I have to confess I was a little concerned about how dry it was but after a couple of bowls my concerns were gone.

Overall: One of my favorite blends, much closer to my tastes than any of the Dunhills. I actually think this stuff is of much better quality and, after smoking it, I don't think I'd want to go back to Dunhill blends. A little more expensive than most offerings out there but I don't think there's a better Balkan available today. Worth every penny.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: Nice soft smokey, herbal aroma coming from Latakia and orientals, respectively. Fairly plain, unremarkable appearance, mostly black and brown, 50-50. As with other GLP blends, a few days after the seal is broken, exposure to air causes an alchemy in the tobacco, developing a much tastier flavor, smoother and creamier.

Tin date: 041307, meaning April 13, 2007(For info. on dating tinned tobaccos, link to: http://www.pipes.org---locate the Forums box--Topics--Tobacco Questions--scroll down, to bottom of page, to Archives Oct. 09, 2005, Oct. 18, 2005, and July 26, 2006.)

Packing and Lighting: Packing was disconcerting, the ribbon being a little stiff from some partly unrubbed flake in the mix. Decent moisture level, on the dry side, the tobacco springing back apart when pressed in the fingers. Lit readily.

Taste & Aroma: Soft, nice, smooth, smoky and herbal, almost buttery and creamy. Abingdon is full of these flavors. Rather complex interplay of tastes from the smoky Latakia, creamy orientals, and a nice VA oats undertone. Smokes cool and fairly dry.

Nicotine: medium

Room Note: Full but pleasant, like the aroma.

Overall: Soft and smooth, it keeps one busy trying to sense each individual component. Having just finished with Blackpoint, Abingdon is not harsh and peppery like Blackpoint. Where Blackpoint is harsh and destructive to the palate, Abingdon is soft and smooth, similar to Kensington, the only other blend in the GLP Classic Series I care much for. 4 stars.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Greg keeps upping the ante. Rennaissance, Raven's Wing, Caravan, Odyssey, Blackpoint, and Charing Cross are all impeccably made, well received, and highly sought-after blends that have garnered untold fans, myself included. Abingdon is the best of the lot.

It's big enough to supplant Nightcap or Red Raparee, yet soft and approachable enough to enjoy at any time- the elusive "iron fist in a velvet glove". A truly marvelous concoction of the highest order.

Medium None Detected Full Strong

A stunning tobacco. While the smell in the tin seems quite subdued (in comparison to the pleasant Latakia stench of other brands), this packs a real wallop. I smoked my first tin after finishing some 20 year old Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture, and I can say that Abingdon doesn't disappoint in comparison even if it's not aged yet! There's less emphasis on the orientals than in BS, but this is an almost definitive balkan nonetheless. I can't really decide whether I prefer this or Odyssey, as they are both great. This one is a powerhouse of taste and richness: not as complex as the 759-like Blackpoint, but very very good. Big flavour from the beginning, which intensifies and gains some sweetness during the bowl: echoes of licorice, maybe even of Gorgonzola cheese in the second half, and a great spicy smokiness. Not a tobacco for those who can't stand Latakia, of course, but they don't know what they are missing. A note about the cut: in comparison to the first 4 Classic Collection blends released by Greg, this one has a much better cut. Longish strings, and almost no tobacco dust: much better for packing, and it doesn't clog the airhole.

2009 Update: I am smoking a 2006 tin of Abingdon right now... I have smoked many so far, and they were all excellent. This one is a bit disappointing: slightly flatter, and with a hint of bite. Weird, it's the first time that Abingdon delivers less than a stellar smoke for me... Probably just a batch which came out "bad" (well, actually it's not exactly bad!).

Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I hate green olives. I think green olives possess one of the most repellent flavours in existence. However, I can't get enough of them. I crave them. Sometimes, nothing else will do.

Similar is my attitude toward latakia and oriental leaf. Foul! Ghastly! And yet I crave latakia blends. My interest in Abingdon was piqued by the promise of its full flavours.

When it arrived, (yet another sustaining shipment from the good people at Knoxcigar in Tennessee) I sampled it immediately. I was surprised by its mildness. It's quite good, very earthy, very natural, and very corky, but not as full as I was expecting. Very straight forward, it lacks the complexity of Penzance but has more subtlety than 965 or London Mixture.

Throughly enjoyable.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Now here's a smoke that really makes me happy. When I have a pipe full of Abindgon in the car, I seem to not worry as much about the traffic and the idiots in the lanes around me. This stuff makes me forget many of the day's stresses -- even when I'm stuck in the middle of them.

The description, "Dark flavours of wood and leather mingle with delicate undercurrents of sweetness, and deep earthy notes, while the oriental tobaccos provide hints of their verdant, sometimes herbaceous character," is about as accurate a description as can be given to a person who has yet to try this fine blend. However, it's merely an overview of what Abingdon has to offer.

This is a complex blend. It's not quite on the same level of complexity as Renaissance, but the latter really is a totally different blend with stunning characteristics all its own. Fortunately, Abingdon does let you taste everything, giving each part of the masterful recipe's ingredients a chance to shine. Sure, there's a fair share of Latakia in there, but it never enters a shoving match with any of the other types of leaf. Now that I've romanticized my way into packing another bowl of this stuff, let me get to the nitty gritty.

Appearance: Looks very good. A variety of colors and shades give the blend an attractive appearance.

Tin aroma: Smells great. Not as much tang as the Renaissance, likely due to Abingdon's lack of Syrian Latakia. But the earthy, vegetal, spicy, leathery, and woody notes that pour out of the can make my mouth water. It just smells wonderful.

Pack: Packs as well as can be expected. Packing with less force overall enhances the smoke. Too tight a pack will bog this one down for sure.

Light: Lights well and evenly, releasing the most inviting scents into the air and filling the tastebuds with more than enough flavor to stay busy for a long time.

Mouthfeel: Abingdon offers up a bold and solid mouthfeel, but it's not too overpowering. You know you're smoking it. The blend smokes cool and without bite. The smoke remains flavorful to the end.

Overall: This is my second blend from G.L. Pease. I like the way he thinks. He clearly has put lots of effort into his passion, and it shows with each and every puff I take. Abingdon is all it's cracked up to be -- and then some. I give it my highest rating and believe that anyone who already enjoys Balkan and English-style blends will get a lot of pleasure from Abindgon. I'm not sure it's the best blend for those just starting out, but my first bowl ever was filled to the rim with Dunhill 965 -- and I turned out just fine. Abingdon is not only worth buying in bulk and aging, it's also worth dedicating a pipe to its use.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I have long anticipated this blend and after my first tin, am ready for this review. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by mostly dark leaf with the occasional yellow, orange, and brown leaf. The tin aroma is rich with the cyprian latakia most prominent. Packing is easy, but a few long strands of what appears to be lemon virginia give a little fuss. Lighting is easy with perfect moisture as always with Greg's blends. Initial flavor: LATAKIA, LATAKIA, LATAKIA!!! This leaf is definitely in the forefront with the other leaves making their prescence about mid-bowl. This latakia is not harsh, though. The room note is definitely not a crowd pleaser, although my son said it reminded him of a good BBQ. The interesting thing about this blend is I like it mid-bowl to the bottom-bowl better than the first third. It becomes buttery smooth towards the end and leaves a pleasant after-taste. It is in the fullness range of "Nightcap" but without the spiciness of the Perique, so this is not an all-day blend for me. All in all, another great entry in the "Classic" series. I will definitely store some away to see what age will do to it. Rating 5 points out of 5. Addendum: oops, I forgot to compare this blend. This blend has more of the low notes of Latakia than any of Pease's other blends. It is smokier than Raven's Wing, but lacks the complexity of that blend. It does not have the strong mid-range that Charing Cross and Oddessy have. Nor does is have the highs that Blackpoint has, but it is not meant to. This blend fills in nicely the full strong Latakia hole in the classic series in a very "classy" way. The leaf used is smooth and flavorful and I have yet to smoke a blend this full that is so smooth with only "Old Ironsides" coming any where near this kind of smoothness. This will compliment my rotation of fine tobacs. Thank you Greg! Further Update: 12-10-03 After going through another tin, I have to say that some blends are so subtle and complex and delicious that I may start waiting until I have smoked two tins before reviewing unless, of course, the blend is ghastly. This blend is the former and as the previous reviewer stated: "you may never smoke anything else after smoking this blend". Enjoy

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)

Mixture of browns and black, medium cut. Smells strongly of leather, with a hint of dried fruit. Taste - dry, smoky, rich, well-balanced, hint of spice. One of the great tobaccos.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (34)

I find this very similar to McClelland's Blue Mountain, but (imo) it has a less alluring smell in the tin (in Abingdon, I pick up hints of "tire fire" from the Latakia).

It more than makes up for that in the bowl, however, and I do prefer this one to Blue Mtn. Greg's description on the tin is spot on. This is a really nice blend, and as others note, a good intro to the Balkan style; not overpowering in either the taste or the nicotine departments.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A very pleasant and complex blend with lots of new flavours to be found at every smoke. At first i had a hard time figuring out if i even liked it, but after i had smoked two tins at 50grams a pop i decided that this is probably one of the best balkan/ english mixtures i have ever tried.

i would strongly reccomend this blend for all fans of strong latakia mixtures, but i would not reccomend it as a first encounter with latakia.

Pipe Used: Chacom plume 908 and a HR.28

Purchased From: Mellgrens

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a fine Balkan. I have some cellared and can't wait till it's properly aged. The Latakia is rich very much present from beginning to end. The Turkish and Orientals are spicy and delicious. The Virginias in just the right proportion. A very nicely balanced Balkan blend.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (73)

A tangy Lat Bomb. Very easy to smoke for hours and moderate nicotine so satisfying but not overwhelming. Gee i like the Latakia that Greg uses in his blends. Lights easily, burns slow and cool, although the Lat/turkish combo makes it quite spicy on the tongue. Well suited to a nice big pipe. Another winner for me.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)

This is the first G.L. Pease blend I've tried. That being said I think it's brilliant. Great flavors, awesome smokability, no bite. I'll admit though I cellared this tin for about two years that may have added something. It's so smooth and tasty, It is Latakia heavy which is ok in my book when I'm in the mood. The crazy thing is though, is that the Latakia doesn't dominate. I love the fact that I get a sweetness from the virginias, and a nice creamy herbal note from the orientals and Turkish. The only drawback for me is I get bored with blends easily and this one only holds my attention for a few nights before I have to switch it up. That being said, however, after smoking this some of my old faves pale in comparison. For instance, I'll switch this up with Billy Budd to give my palette a change and I'm always struck at how much more tasty Abingdon is compared to ol' Billy. I think it's the contrast between those brighter high note flavors and the low end, deep heaviness of the Burley and cigar in Billy Budd.

Like the description claims it is robust but also subtle in many ways, that's what brings me back every time.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Oh wow, it is pleasurable delight to review a blend like this one! Starting from the tin with the beautiful an minimalistic artwork! Open the tin and I am greeted with that delicious partly campfire partly dried figs smell!!! Tobacco is not very moist and packs well on my Stanwell Hexagon rusticated! Charrimg lights exhales that dense campfire smell and nutty / salty undertone on my palate... Virginias start to kick in with some sweetness but the fact is that the Cyprian Latakia gets the main role here... Smokey, dense, bacony... Awesome blend... It did not punch me as far as nicotine goes and it gave me that piquant finish I love from English and balkan blends. Greg you are really a master blender! Highly Recommended!

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (20)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Almost through a 2oz tin of Abingdon... overall, a very good smoke!

I don't have much to add in the way of flavor/aroma descriptions that hasn't been said already. My last Pease tasting was a 2oz tin of Charing Cross which I smoked throughout the end of Winter into the Spring. I would say that they are both "big" blends. I find Abingdon to be a little more Latakia-forward, whereas Charing Cross lets the Orientals shine a little more. Don't get me wrong, they both offer a significant punch of both, but that is their chief difference. Virginias provide a nice canvas for the dark, smoky hues of the Latakia in Abingdon, with Oriental spicy notes giving definition and offering contrast to the broad brushstrokes of the Cyprian leaf. But there is balance here which I find attractive... as opposed to, say, Pirate Kake or Capt. Earle's Diamond Head - both extremely heavy on Latakia to the point of salty dry-ness and rather uni-dimensional experiences. Abingdon is also relatively gentle in terms of nicotine.

I like this blend quite a bit. It has lit and burnt consistently across pipes and I've always found it very satisfying. It is obviously made of quality tobaccos and has been blended with considerable care and finesse. Is it extraordinary? Maybe not. Is it a solid Balkan offering the best of what this style of blend should offer? Absolutely. And perhaps this makes it remarkable in its own way.

I will definitely buy some to cellar for future enjoyment. My tin was quite young (Jan 2011) and I'd like to see what a little time does to it. I also have a tin of Pease's newest, Lagonda, which in the wake of such smoking pleasure as I got from Abingdon and Charing Cross, should also be a fantastic blend.

If you like "big" Balkans... definitely give this a try.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

This review is of a four-year-old tin.

Abingdon is a chunky-cut mixture, with large pieces of tobacco and some broken flake bits. The tin description is accurate, as far as the flavors go. In the forefront is the latakia, followed by the virginias and then orientals. Not much oriental flavor here, only enough to fill in the gaps and such. Mostly latakia. As with most Pease english/balkan blends, the flavor improves to my taste after a few to several weeks after opening the tin. It mellows a bit, the bitterness recedes, and you get more sweetness from the virginias. I did get a wee bit of bite from this one; maybe I didn't dry it out enough. More nicotene than Westminster, which is to me a good thing. Solid, quality latakia mixture. Not outstanding really, but worth a try.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Mr. Pease has done it again. I don't know how the man continually comes up with winning blends, but am beginning to subscribe to the Dark Lord theories. So be it. Abingdon is a full and rich Balkan, blended of Virginia, Latakia, Orientals, and Turkish tobaccos, which come together beautifully as a mix of golds, light and dark browns. The tin aroma is strong and leathery, with almost a hint of what I can only describe as the aroma of shoe polish. To me, the aroma of a Balkan is not the most desired, but getting past that aroma and loading a good one into the pipe brings a flavor pleasure not found in other blend types. The moisture level of Abingdon, as with all Pease tobaccos, is ideal; when you buy a Pease blend you aren't purchasing PG or water. The shorter ribbons of the blend pack into a bowl nicely. I find, with Pease blends, that I have a more successful smoke when my first layer is pressed a bit more than with most blends. Once lit, and lighting is easy, the blend reveals the smoky taste of the latakia but also the leathery, somewhat spicy flavor of the Turkish. The Turkish/Oriental component of the blend takes control after a few puffs, and while the latakia remains a presence this blend is not driven by it. The amount of Virginia used is enough to placate the other tobaccos without ever really announcing itself. There is, of course, a mild, sweet flavor, as an undertone, to this blend which is delightful, but if you are looking for sweetness don't look here. It is not until the end of the bowl that the real sweetness comes through; in fact, the last eighth to quarter of the smoke do take on a sweetness that is quite different than the rest of the smoke. Yet even at this point the control is that of the Turkish and Oriental tobacco, and I can't help but think that some of the sweetness comes not from the Virginia but from the latakia, which has been stewing through most of the bowl. The flavor, throughout the bowl, is a wonderful, layered, complex mix of smokiness, spice, leather, and herb, and reminds me of why I like a good, rich stew – each ingredient adds to the mix, each ingredient enhances the others, and the overall mix, being balanced perfectly, is far more than the sum of the components. I wouldn't consider this to be a Balkan for beginners. If you are a smoker looking to explore a new direction, you might want to play it safe with other, less rich Balkans in order to get an idea of what these blends have in store in terms of taste and complexity. But for those who know and enjoy Balkans it will be hard to find a better blend; this is one you'll want to always have on your shelf.

scorpio2billion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio2billion (9)

I find this to be a bit on the bright side of my personal spectrum, which makes it a nice change of pace from my normal, heavy Latakia favorites. As a matter of fact, the first bowl from the tin was like a mouthful of juniper, but this seems to have lessened, although it certainly retains an herbal, woodsy profile. It tastes very "green" to me- not as in young or immature, but as in a forest. I think it's delicious, and I've yet to find a Pease blend that isn't outstanding. I'm glad that we have him around. As far as arguing whether or not it's suitably "Balkan", who cares? I hear that argument a lot and, personally, I think it's a moot point. I prefer to judge a tobacco on its own merits, and this one's a winner! Unless it hasn't won anything, then it's just an excellent blend- like gin and vermouth would be if someone mixed them together. Someone should do that.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

My initial experiences with Abingdon began immediately after sampling a tin of Charing Cross, which I came to enjoy increasingly so after my first few smokes. In Charing Cross I found the blend lacked sweetness, and the Oriental leaf pushed far in front, characteristics slightly skewed from my usual English adventures. It was that unique mix of flavor that drew my affection.

Abingdon, rather, assumes a more traditional course. It seems to have a more restrained Oriental component, with more Latakia than Charing Cross, sort of in between there and Odyssey, and also hits a middle note in sweetness between the two. There is a less than pronounced jump in strength and I confess to having spiked most of my bowls with the addition of Perique. I felt guilty desecrating the stuff but the urge was similar to spiking damn near everything with Tabasco sauce. Sometimes I'm weak.

I can't fault Abingdon yet it seems indistinct to me--certainly tasty yet there is nothing novel that separates it from the many multitudes of Latakia mixes out there. That said, there is one small bowl left in that tin, and I confess that I'm feeling a little apprehensive about lighting her up. I won't know what to smoke when she's gone.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I opened this tin earlier this year; it was dated 2007, so it had a few years on it. Yet it's still quite spicy and edgy. The emphasis seems to be on the spicy Turkish and orientals but there's plenty of latakia present to satisfy almost any lataphile. I find a nice sweetness in the background as well.

The last few mornings have been in the 40's after months and months of hot weather. I searched my cellar for an open tin of something Balkan or English. I first smoked a few bowls of Maltese Falcon which was good, but wasn't what I was looking for. Next I found a Mason jar with a little more than half a tin of Abingdon remaining. I've gone through almost all of it in two days, smoking it morning, noon and night. It's been exactly what I needed to bring in the fall weather here in Atlanta.

The bad news is this is my only tin of Abingdon. I will get a few more tins for next year, but it sure would have been nice to have another aged tin ready. I normally don't smoke many blends like this with the exception being Odyssey. However, I prefer the cut of Abingdon more than Odyssey. It packs easier and it stays lit much better as well. Live and learn. My wife particularly hated the room note which didn't surprise me with the generous latakia present.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Have just opened and smoke a 2 oz tin 2004. I had forgotten it in a drawer and found it back few weeks ago. Filled my good bulldog and enjoying it. An excellent balkan, to be smoked all day around. Burns evenly, slightly on the hot side, but it may depend that the pipe is filled loosely. Smoke it slowly or a little tongue bite may appear. There is one thought tough, you never fail with GP blends. It burns quite fast, so may be prepared for to small pipes. Yes, I like it and will buy more. Some to be smoked and some to be forgotten. My favourites? GP Westminster, odyssey, some flakes with latakia and or perique.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I have been awarding four stars frequently as of late, the result of choosing tobacco blends with more prudence. The selection of Abingdon continues the trend. This full Balkan is a formidable mixture loaded with smoky Latakia and delivers a deep, earthy and salty smoke with just a soft breeze of sweetness. The subtle interweaving of the Oriental/Turkish is the distinguishing characteristic; thankfully, the Latakia doesn't overpower it all, but this one's not for the faint of heart. After mid-bowl, you'll want to slow down your cadence and appreciate its nuances. If you want more complexity, dial down to Charing Cross or Kensington in this series.

Pease and C&D make the best new Balkans on the market. In this category, I have smoked all but Blackpoint in the Classic Collection -- and awarded each four stars. In my opinion, these blends represents the best that Pease (or any other contemporary blender) has to offer.

UPDATE 10/29/10

In my original review, I gave this blend plenty of respect. A year later, I'm ready to give it some more love.

Abingdon has not grown on me. Rather, I've forced my own will upon it! After perceiving it as a bold statement in the English/latakia market, I was determined to try and marry my heart and head. I'm getting there, by sheer force of will! :) Once again, the layering of various flavors is sheer genius. I find this to be one of the most complex tobacco blends anywhere, something I find extraordinary in a "dark" and full tobacco. Most simply powerhouse their way through but this one shows a sense of quiet strength. Perhaps age has been properly kind to this, but I now find the orientals and the virginias a lot more evident, as well as playful. This isn't just a latakia powerhouse, and I've smoked enough of those to taste the difference. One more year with this and it may become a 4 star blend. Mr Pease does suggest that aging does nice things to his work, and this one would seem to lend credence to such a statement. As I said a year ago, this is something that all latakia lovers should try, as well as those who want a hard lesson in what it takes to become a master blender.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 9/24/09

First of all, I rated this on how well I liked it, in order to maintain consistency with my other reviews. Is it something I'll smoke regularly? No. Is it something everyone that loves latakia blends should try? Absolutely. Could this be one of those "genius blends" as I like to refer to the ones that seem above the crowd? I think so!

The second line of the tin description above, while perhaps seemingly poetic in the extreme, precisely mirrors my thoughts on this blend. This is a powerful, brute of a blend that can also put on a tux and act civilized and refined. The room aroma made me swoon! I think the layering on this one is expertly done, as the overall darkness is interspersed with whisps of teasing high notes. I love "dark" flavored tobaccos such as McClellands Navy Cavendish and this reminded me of that one, even though they are worlds different. This is a blend I wanted to love. It's one of those things that seems a masterpiece and that I know is going to be an important blend, yet my heart can't seem to catch up to my head on this one. I'm going to buy more and cellar it for a few years and see what that does.

All this said, I raise my star rating to a solid 4 if you are a lover of heavy balkan blends and you appreciate blending genius.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 03/26/09

Aroma: Smoky, but a bit more austere than Odyssey – not as rich and campfire- smoky. It just seems a bit more reluctant to release its odors, but this could be because it's a drier tin than the Odyssey I tried recently. Odyssey is a much blacker blend, which to me would mean more Latakia, but Pease's description of Odyssey tells us that Odyssey is “A huge Latakia blend, second only to Abingdon in forcefulness.” Not sure if that means it is second to Abingdon in its quantity of Latakia. Seems to me that Abingdon has less.

Appearance: The cut is quite coarse, with some large chunks of Latakia that really needed a little additional rubbing-out. For small chamber pipes, this coarse blend might be a little challenging. I think it works better in a large chamber pipe. The photo clearly shows that this blend does not have a lot of Latakia (I'm assuming the Latakia is the black bits). The tin description lists “Latakia,” “red and lemon yellow Virginias,” and “rich oriental leaf.” I believe all four are clearly visible in the mix. It looks like it could have been mixed up a bit better, as there were little pockets or gobs of one type of leaf here and there. It's visually quite beautiful!

Pipe 1: Stanwell Vario Billiard Pipe 2: Savinelli 320KS Author Pipe 3: Dane Craft S Freehand

Flavor: The last time I tasted Abingdon is when I reviewed it on TR in May 2009, and in all three pipes it's much more oriental-forward than I remembered. I think the balance is impeccable. I consider the definition of English vs. Balkan as a continuum, one blending into the other on a linear scale, which is consistent with Pease's comments about some blends blurring the lines between the two. Abingdon seems to emphasize the orientals while maintaining a very significant Latakia presence.

I puffed as hard as I pleased and it didn't bite, but of course that causes the flavors to become too burnt. As with every tobacco, this one should be respected, nurtured and contemplated, and Abingdon, due to its rich complexity and changing character, is a very special and delicious treat when smoked carefully. I think some of the change in flavors I experienced throughout a given bowl is due to the not-so-even mixture of the components themselves, along with the quite large chunks of a given tobacco. When one of those big pieces catches fire, it seems to emphasize that particular leaf during that part of the smoke. To me, this makes it interesting. But there is also a gradual change during the smoke toward a more smoky, richer flavor that just gets better and better right to the bottom.

The aftertaste lasts for a long time, a quarter to a half-hour or longer if you don't eat or drink, and it emphasizes the orientals. This blend reminds me of the McClelland Three Oaks series. I would love to try this with Syrian Latakia just to explore the difference, but I understand Greg lost his stash of Syrian in a fire. Bummer!

It burned well with no problems. Pease suggest a lighter than normal pack, but while loading my pipes I had to pack it in with greater than average force because my tin was quite dry upon opening and the leaves were stiff. A typical gentle pack did not provide nearly enough density to get a good burn. This was not true with the Odyssey I opened last week (next week's review). It was moister with a much finer cut.

Overall, this is an easy four star blend for me. I love the flavors and I love the complexity. The coarse cut, while it may alter your normal packing methods (or not, if your tin is moist), provides a visually interesting experience and allows you to clearly see exactly what you're smoking. An excellent blend with which to start our pilgrimage! Please let us know your opinions!

Tudval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudval (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I rate this 1 star because I cannot recommend it. It seems too spicy and not remarkable in any other way, except to say that it's quite strong and almost made me sick. It may just be that my taste buds are still alive and well and are easily overpowered.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based.

Abingdon is good, but lacks the strength and complexity of SMM. It is rich and creamy, nice & smoky, but very mild. No harshness at all, but mostly satisfying none-the- less, which is a bit oxymoronic and difficult to achieve, so kudos there. Wouldn't be my pick due to the mildness, but if you want a rich flavored smoke with more complexities than the average heavy Latakia blends (Nightcap, Pirate Kake) but without a hint of harshness you might want to give this one a go.

Moisture perfect right out of the tin, and burn rate is also perfect. The tobacco is good looking, high quality stuff, cut in fat ribbons.

P.S. In a review below XYZZY said:

"Any reports of this blend as a "tongue biter" are in my opinion entirely unwarranted. Steam and tongue bite are more a result of new tin moisture and smoking technique than anything else.

1. If the tobacco is too damp, you'll have a hot smoke. 2. If you pack it too tight, the last half of the bowl will likely smoke damp, rank and hot. 3. Balkan blends should be packed _slightly_ more loosely. 4. Many GLP blends are tinned a bit on the moist side. Let the tobacco air out for a bit before smoking."

Nonsense.

1.) Dry tobaccos burn hot.

2.) Tongue bite is EXCLUSIVELY due to a tongue not yet conditioned to regular pipe smoking.

3.) Tobaccos that are reputed to not burn well, burn well enough, and as intended. It's just that their owners either have tongue bite, and hence subconsciously resist smoking to spare their tongue, or they are too busy talking instead of listening. A good tobacco is moist, it resists burning and demands constant attention if one is to be rewarded. But with practice, the constant attention simply becomes habit. No longer a chore, instead a delight: The expert coaxing of the tobacco to reveal it's pungent creamy self.

4.) Moist tobaccos produce wonderfully rich cool smoky flavor. Dry tobaccos do not.

IMHO.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've known about Agingdon for a long time now but I guess "better late than ever" will work for now.

I simply cannot remember why I kept putting it off for so long.

I'll just add my comment to the fantastic reviews it has already accumulated.

THIS IS ONE GREAT TOBACCO!

Another hit by the King of English

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

I smoke 6 or 7 GLP tobaccos and love them all. Abdingdon is, perhaps, my favorite. This week anyway. It is earthy and bold, but complex with a pleasing, lasting finish. I don't smoke English/Balkans exclusively, or even primarily, but I enjoy them often. GLPs are about the only ribbons I care for. I am, by choice, a plug/flake smoker.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Abingdon to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Like every Pease tobacco's, this is a high quality one. But, at the end..... it's unsmokable: raw, crude,inelegant, boorish. And Pease is a sort of illiterate blender. This cook uses quality and tastefull ingredients, but definitly he's inapt to assemble and amalgamate the ingredients. The result is......raw. Sorry Pease, you are discharged.

irishpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishpiper (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just in from the deck on a cool, fall morning - my Saturday ritual - relax with hot coffee and a favorite pipe, and watch the sun come up through the poplars. On cool autumn mornings such as this (~50 degrees) - I tend to drink a dark roast and smoke one of my "heavier" latakia blends. So I packed my pipe loosely with Abingdon this morning, and enjoyed it to the bottom of an old Peterson bent Dublin. I enjoy many of G.L. Pease's creations - but this is the one of his that I smoke most often. It is strong, yet subtle, and never overpowering in it's presentation - I feeeeeeel the nicotine, but it is not like some heavier blends that give you a punch or sneak up on you suddenly. Tastes and smells linger in the thick smoke: leather, earth, heavily toasted nuts and raisins - this is one that I like to exhale though my nose to enjoy that extra sensation and aroma of the toasted raisins. Excellent blending of the various types of leaf - none in command, yet all working together in the mixture. I favor the room note, heavy and lingering - Mrs. Irishpiper - she prefers my lighter/sweeter choices (but she is sleeping in, and I am smoking ABINGDON!) If you like Samarra, Charing Cross, Westminster, or Maltese Falcon, and have not yet tried Abingdon - I think you would be pleasantly surprised with it. Highly Recommended.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

The tin aroma of this short-cut, wide ribbon mixture is dominated by turkish and latakia.

The large percentage of turkish and latakia dominate the smoke. The relatively small percentage of virginias add a light touch of sweetness. It is rich, pungent, and dry on the palate.

Abingdon is very full and austere balkan which should satisfy the most jaded of tastes.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

Abingdon is another winner by Greg Pease; I've been smoking this through most of October in a variety of pipe sizes and shapes. I like it best in a size 6 Cavicchi or a size 5 Dunhill. But it also satisfies me in a dimunitive Peterson 317 when I don't have the leisure for a lengthy smoke. I don't sense much nicotine in this blend but the flavor is full, smooth, creamy and "balkanish". The description on the tin is pretty accurate as to how this blend tastes. The tobacco arrives drier than most GLP blends and is good as is, but I believe Abingdon would age very very nicely. The room note for me is exceptionally pleasant; my wife does not complain about it (she on occasion complains about C&D Byzantium at first light-up; Byzantium is also a good Balkan). I would very highly recommend this for those who enjoy Balkan blends.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (22)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Years ago there was an advert on UK television that ran like this:

"Tasty, tasty, very very tasty - they're very tasty!"

Time has passed, and I can no longer remember which product was being advertised - whatever it was, it could easily have been an advert for Abingdon. I love the mix of smokiness and relaxing qualities that this blend provides. Jet blacks, deep browns, light browns - all combining to produce a flavourful hour of pleasure.

I am coming to the end of yet another 2oz container, but thankfully another is ready at my side.

Go Pease!

daidunno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daidunno (9)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This was not quite as tasty and complex as Odyssey, but still a very good smoke.

GentlemanJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GentlemanJ (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I'm a fan of the old Balkan mixtures, and appreciate a good latakia mixture. I suppose that I'm going to be labeled a heretic for saying this, but I prefer Cyprian latakia over Syrian. This is why I want to put in my support for this tasty mixture. I saw Greg Pease at the Piedmont Tobacconist several months ago, and lamented the termination of Bohemian Scandal. I, seeing that they had no Old Ironsides, asked Greg what he would recommend as a substitute. He pointed out Abingdon, and I tried it. He was right.

This blend is a masterpiece. The Virginian leaf compliments the Cyprian latakia perfectly, and the small amount of Turkish provides a top note that is almost etherical. Genius. Greg does it again! Buy some and store it away...if it improves with aging, it will attain mythological status.

Trilithon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trilithon (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A blend of extrordinary character. A blend of complexity that defines American blending at its best. Subtle nuances of spice seep through the smoke and beckon the puffer forth in a most transcendential manner. But this is only the surface I am scratching... there is more depth here than the Titanic's trough... this is a rich, deep, and fulfilling smoke. I remember back in the early '80s when I used to smoke Sullivan's Special, and this has many of those qualities, but is not as raw, or should I say...brash, IMO. Reguardless, this is a truly fine blend that no English or Balkan smoker should pass up. It must be packed with a gentle finger, and drawn slowly to truly appreciate it's subtleness. World class in all respects.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

Greg has given us another excellent Balkan with a swashbuckler flair. This complex blend I find to be most notable in the treatment of it's Virginia. Complementing this sweetness is a team of Turkish and Oriental leaf of outstanding character. The scent of campfire and leather blessed by the sun and wind evoke memories of a misspent youth. Bold and full flavored it will still require your attention if you care not to miss subtle earthy tones of past glory and triumph in fields of sunlight and rain. The multi-hued colors of light and dark leaf make promise of grandeur - promise that is kept in the smoking experience. From beginning to end, this is a blend that you will not want to leave anything of but ash in your bowl. Softer in expression than Caravan and Odyssey, it yeilds an experience for both the bold and timid alike... I cannot help but wonder what a good pressing and/or a coarser cut would add to this fine blend....

Meerschaum Man\ Smoking a Gezer Flying Dragon

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is certainly a big dark blend that requires many bowls to get to know. Opening the tin reveals a diverse mix of light brown and black leaf with some hard twig-like pieces. The cut is fine, moisture content is drier than I am used to but certainly not dust yet. The blend feels and appears light and fluffy. It packs easily and burns slow and even throughout the bowl.

The initial taste is a heavy Latakia introduction starting the bowl off with a big boom. As the bowl continues, flavors of dark leather, wood and some subtle tang of Virginia take turns at the front. Towards the very bottom of the bowl I detect something that I cannot really figure out. I am almost tempted to say "Butternut Squash" but that might sound like I am smoking something other than tobacco. My wife says that the room note is that of "Hickory wood and cedar chips burning in an old fireplace" (a very positive opinion!)

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Masterfully blended Latakia, Virginia, Turkish and Oriental leaf that is sophisticated and very well behavied. The earthy, leathery and spicey notes explode out of the tin with such fervor it's mouth watering.

It packs easily and burns to a fine gray ash. This blend is subtle, complex and delicious with a perfect balance. Smoked slowly, it burns cool to the bottom of the bowl, is full of nuance, an interplay of flavor and is very rewarding. Being that it's available in bulk as well as tins, if you love Balkan blends, once you have smoked several ounces of Abingdon, you may never smoke any of the others again. If you plan to age some, order plenty to smoke as well, or you will raid your stash in very short order.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Abingdon?s tin aroma is delicious; a wonderful blend of sweetness and earthiness. The blend is much lighter in color than I expected, and at first I feared that meant Abingdon would be too Virginia-heavy for my tastes. That had certainly been what I had experienced with the other blends from the Classic Series that I have tried. But my fears were soon relieved. The virginias are blended perfectly into this mix without ever overpowering the latakia and orientals (though there is a slight tendency for the blend to nip at the tongue if not careful).

This blend is delicious, and by far the best offering in Pease?s Classic Series, in my opinion. If the Syrian shortage proves permanent, Abingdon may out of necessity surpass Renaissance and Raven?s Wing at the top of my list of Pease favorites.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (104)
Medium None Detected Overwhelming Strong

My high water mark for balkans. All I can think of is licking the inside of a chimney. I'm going back to less creosotic blends.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

After trying so many blends which I didn't particularly care for, it's nice to know that Mr. Pease has created yet another winner. This reminds me of a more complex "Balkan Sasieni", with just enough tang to keep the smoke interesting. My mouth began to water even before I managed to get my pipe lit.

If you like Latakia mixtures, you owe it to yourself to try this one.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Abingdon is another winner. Nice balance between the Latakia and Oriental. Virginia is present in just the right amount.

Smoked slowly, and carefully, Abingdon is full of nuance and interplay of flavor.

This is a big bold blend. It isn't shy, yet it has subtleties to hold your interest.

Smokes clean and dry - as you would expect from quality leaf. Very smooth, nice thick smoke. I think Abingdon will be in my rotation for the long haul.

Abingdon is quite possibly the best Balkan blend available, IMHO.

ferdoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferdoe (7)

Greg Pease has done it again. Abingdon is a truly fine Balkan Blend. You might ask what makes a great Balkan mixture: great Latakia? In my humble opinion, judging a Balkan Blend by the quality of its Latakia is a bit like judging a great Bouillabaisse by the quality of its saffron. Sure you need good saffron for Bouillabaisse, you also need it for a good paella. But good saffron does not promote a mediocre fish stew to greatness. For great fish stew you need fresh ingredients, foremost among them fresh fish.

What makes a good Balkan Blend is the complexity of the Virginias against which the spicier ingredients play. What makes a great Balkan Blend, is the latter along with an Oriental leaf docile enough not to offend by mid-pipe, forceful enough to assert itself early on, and interesting enough to continue making its presence known until the soggy end.

Simple enough? As the French say: ?A soufflé is just eggs?, and we all know how easy that is to cook.

Well our friend Mr. Pease has created a soufflé with Abingdon. While the taste of Latakia is present from the first puff, its pungency continues to play off the complexly sweet (never sugary) Virginias until the end. For me the Oriental comes on from about puff three and plays off the other ingredients until the very end, when it takes the baton in the last few millimeters of the bowl and runs home with it.

Try Abingdon at your own risk. You may never smoke anything else. Likewise, if you plan to age some, play it safe and don?t open any tins before cellaring. You may find yousrelf raiding your stash in a month.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (51)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very good balkan blend. Lat. is upfront and good and smoky sweet. Orientals are always present with a slight bitterness that I like from them. The VA's are there too and very sweet. Maybe too sweet for just VA's?

Here is the only issue I have with this blend. I think there is a top note that is just more than the blend should have. Maybe just a little sugar water added to the mix? Something, I know a lot of English blends are topped for room note help but something here is more than that yet not quite distinct enough for me to say exactly what it is. Also, I cannot help but wonder if PG solution was added. The tobacco is moist and maintains it moister for a very long time. It takes about 1 hr. of drying time to get it right.

These little issues aside this is a great blend in its own right. Not the best balkan I have had but it is very good. Those who love the big balkan's should give this one a try.

Age When Smoked: 3 yr old tin

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice tobacco. I like the cut, semi shag, easy to light and keep lit. This I classify as a mild Balkan with plenty of flavor. Many times you get a mild tobacco and it just doesn't bring a lot of flavor ( Squadron leader comes to mind), this one is complex. I like to ball and stuff this tobacco for packing.

I don't find this real sweet or dominated by Latakia as some of the other reviewers have said, but that's why some of us smoke, " Captian Black" , individual taste. I do find a taste of split oak logs, found the same thing in Dunhill's London Mixture, different, nice, interesting. I can see myself going for this any time of day.

My only problem with this is it is more peppery than I like. I have to agree with "Darth Vader 03/28/2013"

The Happy Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Happy Piper (14)

This is in not full in a way I am familiar with- not like Nightcap or London Mix, though it is similar to 965. It could be seen as a less satisfying alternative to S. Gawith's Skiff Mixture- not as dark, with more sharpness- think cafe au lait vs mocha. Halfway down the bowl the flavour starts to build a lot, but in intensely citric, almost harsh tones. This would be dreadful if produced by a second-rate company, but in Abingdon it just feels strange. The latakia does seem work with the lemoniness of the Va which correspond well with the orientals- it's all well thought-out but I am not quite sure why Mr Pease would want to produce something so sharp and one-dimensional. I wil return to this review, but right now I suspect this blend is giving me something I didn't ask for. Please note:- the description above is totally misleading marketting speak. Their is no "darkness" whatsoever and the only "herb" in this blend is lemon verbena in huge quantities. "Rich"? No.

Addendum 1: After 30 minutes breathing and employing a rather firm pack, I enjoyed this blend more. The taste was fuller, the Va less harsh and there was even a hint of caramel coming through. Still less than full, I can get a hint of the potential of Abingdon. I would very much like to taste a 5-10 year old tin.

Addendum 2: After several bowls of Abingdon, I would say that Skiff Mixture is definitely better. While not as heavy on the Latakia, Skiff is far richer & more full of flavour. (add some Frogmorton to Skiff and you have a blend very similar to Abingdon, but much, much better)

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

THis puts the balkan in balkan! Reading the description at the top of the page really hits the nail on the head with this one. THere are some really nice earthy undertones that dance on your tongue. They always stay in the background, but they are wonderful!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the finest Lat blend currently in production. Big and bold, occasionally delivering tangy sour notes and sweetness. I have a feeling that a few years will actually benefit this one, allowing those notes to develop at the expense of a softening around the edges. I am looking forward to testing that theory. I've moved away from Lat blends to Va flakes, but I still smile every winter night that I smoke a big bowl of Abingdon in the Charatan Dublin I have dedicated to it.

Abington was yet another reminder of how important it is to take time to get to know a blend. My early experiences with this blend were rather off-putting as I got nothing from it other than a Latakia blend with not much else to offer. After finding the right pipe and cadence, the flavors of Abington came alive for me. I also took the blender's advice and packed a little bit more lightly than usual. There is a lot of spice here and they may be a turn off to some pipers, especially if you are a puffer like me. Abington is best described as a spicy Latakia-Oriental smoke. I don't detect very much sweetness from the Orientals or the Virginias'. When sipped from the very edge of my lips I get an almost incense like quality to the smoke. Abington is definitely not a tobacco that I would be smoking while doing other activities as it's a little too heavy for me (I don't mean in the nic department). Overall a good smoke, but not one for my daily rotation, but one to be recommended.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

At first I experienced a strange "soapy" quality from this blend, but after rubbing it out and leaving it in the tin for a few months, it mellowed beautifully delivering a wonderfully deep and tasty smoke. The orientals take center-stage leaving the Latakia in the background offering support. My wife even likes the room note! Strange, as she despises Latakia blends.

Abingdon has become one of my favorite Balkan-type blends, checking all the boxes in terms of flavour & enjoyment. A top-notch blend from a great blender!

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Well reviewed already. I just want to throw my hat in the ring on this one. Very nice English/Balkan with good strong leathery smoke that sticks to you. Highly recommended.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Despite the tin's description -- a "big Balkan blend" -- this is what I would consider a very good medium-weight Balkan. To my mind, no one currently does Balkans of such variety or finesse as GLPease, and this one fits perfectly in that range. It is similar in approach to Ashbury and Charing Cross. However, in those blends, the orientals are more acrid and more forward in the blend; Abingdon pushes them back a bit, making this a blend that is more evenly balanced among the Virginias, orientals, and latakia. If Ashbury and Charing Cross are a bit too sharp for you, Abingdon may be just what you're looking for.

I should say, though, that all of these blends are a touch lighter and more focused on the acrid-oriental side of the Balkan spectrum than, say, Caravan or Odyssey, which feature a stronger latakia presence and slightly sweeter orientals. (If you're new to GLP blends, Odyssey is the "biggest" of the Balkans currently on offer.)

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Many reviews already, but I must briefly add my support to this blend.

The flavor is smoky and thick, beefy and delicious (I smoke Balkans for preference but certainly not exclusively). Rather like biting into a steak that's been seared on the grill. The subtle sweet notes are there, the hint of chocolate, etc.

My palate is not nearly as refined as many of the excellent reviewers on this site, but I find this to be big, bold, yet polished. Very satisfying indeed.

I feel Mr. Pease has scored a knock-out with this one.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This tobacco needs some aging because it has a tendancy to bite.

The Latakia and Turkish are the main players.

This is one of the only Balkan/English mixtures I can smoke in my wife's presence. She says the room note is similar to the incense burned in church. Aren't I the lucky one?

But the tongue bite persists despite all my efforts to reduce it...I'll see if aging it will help, or not.

anders1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anders1 (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

My first tin of Abingdon had some nice campfire notes so I decided to by a big can. Boy was I disappointed. None of the nice campfire notes. The tobacco was just harsh and boring. Totally unaged. So I've put away the can and will wait a couple of years. Maybe it will improve. During that time I will smoke Orlik's Dunhill MyMixture, which is infinitely better than any of the Pease Balkans and yet ridiculed by him. Don't get carried away by the description on the tin. In all honesty it should read: "Abingdon, harsh and boring."

BowHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BowHunter (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

wow. We have a blend. It really reminds me of the good balkans of the past. Just a bowl until now. I'm going to update at the end of the tin, but...first impression is...superlative blend.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am inaugurating my first review after being witness to a rather unorthodox review that triggered a heated reply. I find it irresistible not to opiniate on the matter, even if just a little.

The first comment was overboard in its approach. But I appreciate the fact that the world of pipe tobacco can be a passionate affair, especially when one is seeking the ideal blend but has not found it (I am here interpreting what could possibly be the underlying point in the first comment, but as I am no medium or paranormal expert, this is under all reserve).

The other comment was also overboard. But both comments are now deleted. Too bad (or maybe not?) for those who have not read those comments. It was quite interesting.

_____________________________________________

And now on with my first review!

I ordered Abingdon based on all the positive reviews stating that this tobacco is rich, bold, Latakia-smoky, tasteful,a great Balkan,etc. etc. I recently received an 8 oz tin and, frankly, was surprised of the low content of Latakia. Abingdon is displaying mostly golden and light brown tobaccos with only a low presence of black/dark brown. The tin aroma confirms the lack of Latakia.

If I may: my knowledge of a Balkan blend is of Orientals and Latakia having a significant presence. So I had to recall my impression by doing some research. The ideas, definitions and conceptions of a Balkan blend being at the least diversified, I isolated the common trends in this topic which confirmed my original knowledge. A Balkan blend contains Latakia and Orientals as the main components. Some VAs may/can be added. The addition of Perique, Cavendish and/or Burley would not constitute a Balkan blend but would rather constitute an English blend.

As this is a GL Pease blend, I looked for his definition of a Balkan blend: "predominately based on Oriental tobaccos and Latakia, and just enough Virginia is used to provide structure and balance."

Unmistakingly, the reader will agree that this definition supports the conclusion of my research.

To summarize, to be a Balkan blend, a tobacco blend HAS to be rich IN BOTH Orientals and Latakia. Otherwise, it is NOT a Balkan. Now, Abingdon is not rich in Latakia. So I think the comment that "(censored) makes up facts as he goes" is questionable. I believe the question of asking where is the Latakia was pertinent: my little research confirms the significant presence of Latakia as being key in a Balkan blend.

For the sake of pipe tobacco blending integrity,I also ask the question: where is the Latakia in this "Balkan blend"?

As I am extremely knowledgeable in the field of pipe tobaccos but am certainly not the definitive authority, I will not try to address and resolve the issue of what a Balkan may, should or may, should not be. I will not attempt to define the percentages that Orientals and Latakia may or should be to be considered a Balkan.

What I can say with certainty is this: Abingdon IS NOT "rich and robust, powerful and forthright, yet still posessing subtlety and finesse" as advertised on the tin. Because it lacks Latakia, Abingdon does not unveil "dark flavours of wood and leather" that "mingle with delicate undercurrents of sweetness, and deep earthy notes" as advertised.

Tentatively, I can declare that Abingdon does not correspond, based on these facts, to a Balkan blend. Yes, undoubtedly, it could be labelled as an Oriental mixture or a light English blend. And this is why it triggers disapointment on my part: I was expecting a Latakia-rich, robust blend and Abingdon did not deliver.

Instead, I ended up with something that could be compared to Highland Targe. Would, then, Highland Targe, as it presents similarities with Abingdon, be a Balkan? The question is opened.

On a positive note, Abingdon lights and burns well. It also has a sweet, delicate flavor that, as it lacks Latakia, unfortunately becomes quickly bland and tasteless. When I think that I still have 6 oz to go...sighs.

DrRaoulDuke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrRaoulDuke (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my favorite blend right now. The orientals play a great upfront role. I don't find the latakia overwhelming even though supposedly it's got a good amount. I think the sweetness from the virginias and orientals counter act the latakia; sweet but not too sweet. I guess this is what balance/blending is all about. I would recommend this just to experience how the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Medium on nicotine, full on body and taste. I really enjoy Westminster, but this is my favorite GLP blend.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Abingdon, a Balkan blend? GL Pease's "fullest" Balkan style blend in the range? And, not only does everybody praise this blend but most say it's strong? Are you kidding me?

G.L. Pease tobaccos are nothing more and nothing else than an attempt to produce good tobaccos that is failing. PERIOD. Nicely tried but nevertheless not working.

Where's the fricking Latakia in this blend, boys? There is 5 times more Latakia in other Balkan blends that I know. There is a lot more Latakia in Balkan Sasieni than this and it is a Balkan blend. There is a lot more Latakia in Bill Bailey's Balkan blend.

This is VAs, some Oriental and scarce (NOT EVEN 10%) Latakia presence. If you like getting ripped off and buy into it, good for you. But this is it for me for my interaction with Gl Pease.

This is the fourth blend that I try and I am getting frustrated. I can't rely on the reviewers when it comes to GL Pease blends because either the reviews are biaised, either most of the reviewers do not know what a good tobacco mixture is.

I learned my lesson!

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

It's a high quality full Balkan blend. Packs and lights well, perfect moisture content from the tin. It would benefit greatly from aging.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Well, it's obviously blended in the style of the classic Balkan blends. There are two: Sobranie Original Mixture and 759.

It certainly is reminiscent of those classic Balkan blends. It's a medium to full smoke which is fairly smooth. It does have the underlying sweetness and the slight chocolate notes that it should have.

So, the classic Balkan qualities are there. This is a good thing because the term "Balkan" blend is used too much. (Perique doesn't belong in a Balkan blend!)

Very much worth a try.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I'm not one prone to lofty prose of blends, and could care less if my tastes are like others here on this esteemed site. I've always been one to march to my own beat. That being said, I do like this blend very much. As do many of my brother and sister pipers.

In it's youth, this is not a very enjoyable blend. It has all the nuance of a backwoods redneck at a bar-mitzvah. Given about 5 years in the cellar on the otherhand, this sings to you with great balance and power. The aged version will provide hours of layered goodness changing notes from oriental, to latakia, to virginia and then back again for another round.

Pease has a way with tobacco, but with most of his blends aging is essential. He says so himself, and I take him at his word. I cannot say enough about this fine blend if you have a few years to spare. I do.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is close to my favorite Erinmore Balkan Mixture. However, it is not as complex and it looses all around in a comparision... even so, it's a very well balanced balkan, well worth to cellar a couple of tins.

Raynyct Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raynyct (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I've been smoking English/Balkan blends for forty years. IMHO there is nothing available today that compares with this blend. Flavorful,smooth, and sweet in all my pipes; totally outstanding in some. Although I enjoy a few of the Pease blends, this has become my favorite.

hrhf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hrhf (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my second review, the first being for English Oriental Supreme from Stokkebye. As far as quality and depth of character, both blends are comparable.

Abingdon has a lighter touch, though. This provides more room for nuance. It's as good as any blend currently in my possession, and may very well be the best-burning blend I have. That's got to count for something.

I could see this easily remaining in my English/Balkan rotation indefinitely. While I tend to prefer a little more kick, this is a very, VERY nice middle-of-the-day smoke.

If GL Pease's other blends are at this level -- and the word is they are -- I look forward to sampling Mr. Pease's other offerings as I continue to explore the diverse and wonderful world of pipe tobacco.

This may very well be a four-star blend, but -- like my previous review -- I'll initially give it only three, for fear of over-reaching. I'd rather save the four-star designation for the truly transcendent blends. This may very well prove to be one. If so, I'll update my review.

In the meantime, it's still a very nice, not-too-powerful Balkan. Enjoy!

Korndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Korndog (16)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I feel there are many similar tobaccos out there, but I will still give this a 4 star because of the slight sweet note that seems to add a new dimension to heavy Latakia blends. I really appreciate that little treat rounding out all the earthy goodness of this tobacco.

Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

Another outstanding Balkan from GLPease, this one is so sweet and velvety that makes Charing Cross, Odyssey and even Westminster taste harsh, even when I couldn't tell which of all four is my favority. There is no Latakia, Orientals or Virginias lead in this mixture: they all play a starring role and share the script evenly.

I wish I had one or two Balkans to focus when it comes to cellaring, so I would have 100 tins and feel safe for the rest of my life. Mr. Pease keeps spreading my attention and I end up with the fear of running outta many tobaccos.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

O.K. Another strong Balkan blend in a market that contains a montage of such blends. We need to do a "blind taste test" for all these similar tobaccos. This one was so similiar to other Balkans I have tried in the last 20 years that I cannot begin to describe how unimpressed I am. Good quality tobaccos, excellent proportions of each, bah, blah, blah. Sorry gang, I think I'm getting jaded.

agedtins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agedtins (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoke Balkan/English as a change of pace from my Virginia/Vaper diet......but with that said I have been smoking a bag of Abington dated 12-15-2003 the past dozen eveings..... and lets just say AWESOME! In fact I smoked this blend all day today (from morning coffee on) and it was a real treat. Balkan/English blends will not relace my Virginia/Vaper diet but as a change of pace Abington is truly enjoyable. Smokey, semi-sweet,herbal,complex......wondeful weed!

Perdomo7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdomo7 (1)

I'm currently smoking a lot of Westminister, Full Virginia Flake, and Chocolate Flake. WOW! Abingdon is great, even in direct comparison to these fine blends. It truly is a mild smoke with a good dose of Latakia. The Orientals add the curiosity and the Turkish mellows it out. Great Blend!! Of the ones I mention above, if I could only buy one...I would buy two cans of Abingdon. (By the way, I purchased it at the Tinder Box while travelling to Charleston,SC. Home of the Havana Club, the only place in Charleston one may smoke. Great place.)

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

Not overpowering and an example of what balance can do for a blend. This is one I could take to the mythical desert island and be happy for years. One of GLP's best and only improves if you can show some patience and not smoke it up as soon as you get it.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

Update: I'm upping it a star, as it grew on me the more I smoked it.

I guess I had much higher expectations for this blend. In my opinion Maltese Falcon and Odyssey are better even though odyssey leaves me with terrible cotton mouth. I just don't find it that outstanding or complex. Mind you it is still an acceptable smoke. I also don't get that nic. kick like some explained. Maybe it the lemon virginia's or maybe it's just me. Possibly no little to no oriental and a little heavier on the Turkish would spruce it up.

This along with Maltese Falcon would be a good intro to the world of Balkans for those of you who haven't tried them yet.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Abingdon is everything a pipe tobacco should be... unless you are expecting an aromatic. But the smoker will love this smooth smoking, easy burning blend. This one will always have a place in my starting lineup. Delicious!

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Dr. Thoss said it all....nothing much to add. Really, really good, imo Abingdon beats Westminster.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a very unique and full smoke, a high water mark for Balkans. Excellent taste, with almost every flavor I'd expect a blend of this type to contain. Lots of latakia, flavorful Vas, and enough orientals to add complexity. This isn't as sweet as Odyssey (which remains my favorite Balkan, flavor-wise) but is more complex. Once aged for two years or more, this has a sweet/sour flavor with more than a hint of, say, green olives in the flavor produced by the very heavy helping of orientals, and the latakia tastes more spicy than smoky, if that makes any sense. I can barely detect the VAs other than a slight background sweetness. This definitely evokes the late 80s Balkan Sobranie I tried back when I first started smoking a pipe, which should be appreciated by afficiandos of that blend.

What sets this apart from other blends of its type is the burning characteristics and mouthfeel. When dried out and packed a little on the loose side, it burns almost as well as a drugstore burley. This is a far cry from Odyssey or Westminster, both of which can be difficult to burn. Of equal importance is the near-total lack of bite. Despite the full flavor and respectable nicotine hint, this is as gentle on the tongue as Frog Morton -- but Abingdon is as flavorful as Nightcap (yet lacks the latter's nicotine strength).

To my tastes, the flavor profiles of most Balkans fall into one of two broad categories: sweet and sour. Abingdon is definitely in the latter range. I personally prefer the former, but I also believe this is without a question the best blend available of the latter type. It's a great tobacco and must-try for Balkan lovers, although I personally plan to focus my cellaring efforts on Odyssey and similar blends.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Dark and lovely, full of flavor and subtle complexity. A balkan powerhouse but still retains true balance and control, not overbearing in any way. I feel the nicotine as well and it feels very good. However you are better than me if you can do this in the a.m. I gotta build up to it.

This one is a winner with me. Balkan fans will be delighted.

Very simillar to hearth and home Larry's blend but better presented in the cuts of leaf.

Highly reccomended to those not faint of heart.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is a fine blend. It is full and creamy and packed with latakia and orientals. It is in the same genre as Penzance and C&D's Da Vinci.

As a fan of the latter two blends, I am astonished to find this almost too flavorful for my palate. After smoking Westminster everything seems second best.

I plan on buying this again and plan to smoke Da Vinci, Penzance and Abingdon in succession to see which I like best. Stay tuned.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Sell my clothes. I think I died and went to heaven! I cut my teeth on Sobranie 759, and still have some kicking around the cellar (a few big old ice chests). The Syrian versus Cyprian debate aside, this blend balances the Virginias, Orientals and Latakia perfectly. Cut makes the pack, light and burn a pleasure. Highly recommended.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

Abingdon has become a great surprise for me. It gets better with each bowl. There is a faint natural sweetness in the background, very subtle, with ample smoky latakia qualities to the front with what seems to me to be a perfect balance of turkish and oriental. The word Balkan is thrown around so much that quite frankly after 25 years of smoking I find little meaning in the word.

This blend is absolutely worth exploring. I can see this becoming a regular smoke for me.

UPDATE 4-29-13: Unfortunately this did not develop for me in subsequent outings and I am lowering my score. Sadly after lots of exploration of many Pease blends going all the way back to his inaugural years I have come to the conclusion that the overall taste profile of this blender does not suit me.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

YUM!! This is great stuff. Nice and smokey with just a hint of sweetness in the background. Super tasty. Great to smoke in a huge Ardor, while reading a good book. Highly recommended!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a nice morning pipe. It is subtle and arousing, with a lot of fine delicate flavors. I find it to have a good earthy taste with a lot of good oriental flavors too. I think this blend burns well and has no distracting characteristics. Over all a great smoke that is well worth trying.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Abingdon is tasty but powerful. I smoked a one-year-old tin of this in a Savinelli 2002 POY and a Mastro de Paja. It was awesome in the POY. For my dollar, I will take this on most days over Penzance.

I have a few tins in the cellar and I believe it will only get better.

This another excellent offering from Mr. Pease.

AnalogMoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnalogMoz (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Besides being one of the most beautiful-looking tobaccos I've had the pleasure of smoking lately, Abingdon is also one of the most interesting. When I first opened the tin I got the scent almost of Revelation, the sharp-apple scent that's not incompatible with real tobacco taste. The mixture itself requires little drying and fills a pipe easily. Burns fairly evenly, leaving lovely white ash. Full-flavored enough to satisfy but not Latakia-ed to the point of staining one's sinuses. A good buy. G.L. Pease products are really unique and worth purchasing almost always.

82piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
82piper (7)

This is a decent balkan/english. I am about halfway through my first tin and though I haven't found myself wanting it everyday,it is good enough to return to once in a while. I don't think i'll be ordering anymore though.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I can?t add much to the blend?s description that I find most accurate. This is a pleasingly and pleasantly full, rich, smooth and satisfying Balkan. I particularly enjoy it after a full meal sitting in front of the fireplace on a cold winter?s night. Don?t ?balk!? Be like Mikey: try it, you?ll like it!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 8.8 out of 10.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A very good Balkan blend. It is very similar to Peretti's "ORIENTAL 440" only less orientals, more Latakia and a smoother ,yet less robust taste. A solid smoke for English fans.

I like G.L.Pease blends a lot, you can really feel the accuracy and the love he puts in every production he issues: always a fine moisture, a perfect cut...you are really set in a perfect position to have a fine smoke. Said that, this is a wonderful blend: full, spicy, really huge tasting true Balkan style but still easy to pack and smoke, due to the perfect leaf treatment. It's similar to Odissey, maybe a little less complex, but absolutely the same quality.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Abingdon is a blend that has been quite masterfully layered with Latakia, Virginia, Turkish and Oriental leaf. Each variety hits the heavier end of it's particular sub-species spectrum, thus producing a smoking experience that will linger long after the fire has gone out.

My flavor sensors do not normally meander in this direction. So, forgive me if I don't soak my keyboard with drool as I write my impressions.

Other reviewers, quite obviously smitten with this concoction have adequately described the fullness of this blend. It is rich and does have a "salty & leathery" type taste presentation. It is also quite spicy and did not offer even a smidgen of sweetness to me. If Abingdon were a symphony, it would be heavy on the tubas and light on the flutes.

This conductor is off to find some less formidable music...

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (15)
Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

I just finished a tin and the sad verdict is in: this blend is big alright, a big disappointment! The tin aroma is fine, but the smoke is suprisingly bland. This is all the more startling considering I was ready to adore the stuff, as I do Mephisto and many other Pease blends. Is it the Lemon Virginias? I'd never heard of Lemon Virginias used for Balkan blends before --to be sure their heat felt out of place, as though someone had added chocolate frosting to my steak, urgh! Apparently, the blends in the classic collection were inspired by other pst blends. I wonder which Balkan mixture of yesteryear featured lemon virginias? Perhaps there are, and notwithstanding this, the tobacco in the blend felt impossibly young. No wonder the consumer is constantly urged to "cellar" tobacco! Besides that the flavor range is uncharacteristically monotone and just tires the palate without satisfying. There are way better Pease offerings out there, even in the much maligned (in P&T's reviews) classic collection. This must just be the exception that confirm the rules, as they say.

Cashmere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cashmere (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Short ribbons of light and dark tobaccos. More stick-like bits than in other Pease blends I've tried.

Smokey, winey tin aroma. Moistness just right.

Medium full body. The tin description is accurate: woodsmoke and leather flavors. Very nicely balanced and integrated. Cool smoking.

Room note is sharp and pleasant.

Overall: A very pleasant smoke. Full flavored but not at all overpowering. When in the mood for a straightforward Latakia smoke, with little distraction from Orientals, this would probably be my first choice.

Rating: =/==

Ebola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebola (10)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Nice tobacco with about 40% light Va. Milder than I expected. Very smooth all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I like this best in a large bowl which allows the tobacco to develop a fuller flavor. will definately smoke more.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Greg Pease never ceases to amaze me. He is the master of taking a traditional type of blend such as the Balkan category and turning it on its ear!. This blend immediately struck me as something different when I opened up the tin and saw the extreme contrast between the Latakia and the Lemon Va's. The aroma lets you know that something big is on the way. And big it is as soon as you light up! The Latakia is not as much of a presence as I thought it was going to be. What really took center stage was the oriental tobacco. It's delicious. Never have I had a tobacco develop more than this one. The last third is by far the best. The orientals take over and really make this a rich smoke. So why not a higher rating. Well I have to say it's not anything personal, I just really am not much of a fan of the Lemon Va. Not in any blend really. I could highly recommend this blend to anyone who doesn't have such a bias however. It smokes cool and dry.