Sweet & Mellow

2.3
Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I'm more of a fan of English and balkan blends, but I think too often we review tobaccos against too wide a range - for what it is, this blend meets expectations - a very sweet, somewhat heavily cased tobacco that smokes a bit wet (should have dried it out) - has a very sweet scent upon opening the tin and a very pleasant room note......like most virginias it can bite if not 'sipped'; gave me a nice relaxing smoke in a kaywoodie with espresso on my porch......have to say it is among the more pleasant and not overpowering aeros I've smoked - and will be a go to when company demands a pleasant aroma - and I crave a Virginia - this blend is what it's supposed to be, a sweet virginia that demands some drying out, some care in packing, and patience in smoking.......a fine example of it's type I think...

LaPipa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaPipa (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Well, this one was not one of the better blends that I have smoked. It did have a nice sweet note in the tin, that reminded me of a "creamsicle". The nice tin scent only came threw slightly in the smoke itself, almost disappearing. I found it harsh at the light, but it did settle down soon after. Through the half bowl mark i did pick up on the Virginias, but it was at this point, for me anyway, that it became "hot and bitey", and acrid tasting! Not enjoyable at all. I ended up dumping the rest out! Like smoking a bad cigarette. Though I will keep this blend in my collection, I will not be smoking it again! But these are just my views. This blend may appeal to others?

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

As I really like Galway, I decided to give a try to this tobacco of the same German company. Fine cut, with an intense and imprecise aroma. Something like an Irish Whisky maybe. It doesn't light up easily and I also noticed that hits up the bowl too much. Its marks were quite intense on my pipe. Those who were with me, though, while I was smoking it, were delighted. It is a good tobacco, but spoiled by the many different scents put on to it. It is not particularly strong.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Sweet scent in the tin, but not so much in taste. My tin was dry, no need to let it sit out. I remembered this blend being fruity in the past, but this time around I didn't get very much sweet or fruit tastes. Fairly bland, a step above captain black. I wouldn't buy it again, but did find Dan Tobacco's Donnegal blend to be good.

Churchwardener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Churchwardener (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have said, this is a sweet tobacco.

I let mine get very dry. As such, it's easy to keep lit, but smoke slowly or it will overheat and bite.

It smokes down to a very fine ash in my experience, and has been good for the break-in period.

Smokey45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey45 (16)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Perhaps it's because St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner, and I have a bottle of Bushmill's Irish Whiskey waiting to be opened, but my first impression upon lighting my first bowl of this stuff was BAILEY'S IRISH CREME. The flavor was very similar, and was full and creamy, with lots of smoke.

Now granted, I've had a tin of this in my tobacco cellar for about a year, so for me, the moisture content was just right; not too dry, and yet not too moist and goopy. Upon opening the tin, I discovered that this tobacco was packed very tightly, which of course is a good thing, in that the tobacco stays moist that way.

It lit well, and stayed lit. I only had to relight once.

This lass lives up to her description on the tin; SWEET & MELLOW.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I might forgive it enough to give it two stars if it came in a pouch rather than a pretentious tin that caught my eye and made me shell out ten dollars for it. I don't get coffee and whiskey from the flavoring (those flavorings are mentioned in the original submission of this tobacco to the website*); but more sweet, rotten fruit of some kind. It burns faster than anything I can think of, and bites. I greatly prefer Borkum Riff Whiskey. I don't know if I can finish this or not, but if I can make myself try it again in a year or so, will revise this if time can do anything to help this sorry blend.

*now I see that those flavorings default in when you go to correct/add info on any tobacco, but don't show in the header anywhere!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I first tasted this tobacco in a new Ashton size x pipe purchased both ar Georgetown Tobacco about 7 years ago on a business trip. I have been very fond of both ashtons and Shannon. In fact, all of my Aston pipes are dedicated soley to Shannon. This is surley an aromatic of the highest order and will not meet the expectayions of those who prefer natural to the exclusions of aromatics. If you like aromatics, Shannon is hard to beat.

AFEOD Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AFEOD Guy (4)

I loved the tin aroma. The taste is just as good...when you can get it to smoke properly. This blend is more finnicky than a spoiled rich girl. It was a little moist out of the tin and had a little bite to it. So I let it air out and tried again. Somehow the bite got worse. Smoke this blend VERY VERY SLOWLY unless you want the core temperture of your pipe to reach approximately "surface of the sun". I simply don't have the patience to fiddle with this stuff in order to try to obtain that "perfect" way to smoke it. BUT all that said, the taste is ok; hence the 2 stars instead of just 1.

UPDATE: Well I upgraded this blend from a 2 to a 3 star. Why? I let this stuff dry out. Alot. I mean It's now drier than a nun's...well you get the point. And it dosn't have near as many problems as it used too. Still bites a little, but I can taste more of the flavor now. Pretty good smoke now. Reccomended.

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Extremely Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco exemplifies the word "pleasant." Sweet, but not too sweet. Mild with no chance of being overpowering. It reminds me of angel food cake -- airy, sort of sweet, but no real substance. This would be an ideal tobacco for first-timers, or for a first-of-the-day smoke, or to cap off a good night. I like Dan Tobacco's flavors, and this is a good smoke. I give it only two stars, however, only because I wish it had a little more punch to it.

The mountain was windy -- wispy even, and the missionary lit twigs in the hut's fire to light his thin clay pipe. The Dan Tobacco Shannon seemed remarkably apropos in this surreal landscape -- frost, bamboo shacks, goats, and only the occasional monk traversing the pristine snowfall. He exhaled and thought that perhaps he had found Xanadu.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

Ummm, if you have read any of my reviews, you'll know that I generally prefer stronger, more naturally flavored tobaccos; I dislike aromatics. Well, now there are two that I enjoy; Shannon and University Flake. Ok, Shannon initially has a strong melon-like flavor. It's a little strong, but sweet and pleasant. However, as the smoke continues, the flavor fades to the background and the typical Dan Tobacco virginia starts coming through. I do not know why I like it, I really don't. Shannon is a good change of pace tobacoo for me. Dry to the bottom of the bowl.

Very Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Oh my; this is sweet, sweet, & sweet.

I do question whether this is tobacco. Okay, I know it's tobacco, but I certainly got the feeling I was smoking sliced fruit of unknown origin. Dadgum hard to keep lit and harder still to finish half a bowl.

Where's the Everclear? My pipe needs a good scouring.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Billed as "Sweet & Mellow" on the tin, a more appropriate description might be Sweet and Melon! A sniff of the paper placed over the tobacco smelled like the Original flavour Hubba Bubba my grandmother used to buy for me (when did she decide I was too old for gum anyway?!?). The tobacco itself, though, has a very pleasant melon scent to it.

In keeping with their other blends, this one is of the highest quality: cool, easy burning and without much bite to it. The melon flavour detected from the tin comes through clearly on the tongue, but indeed mellowly (let's pretend that's a word). I would rate this blend higher but for the fact it was a taste sensation that I find a bit odd in a tobacco. This feeling, however, may change the next time I get a chance to smoke it on a warm summer evening instead of bundled up in fleece on a cold, damp fall day.

virtu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
virtu (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

It's tastes and smells like Erinmore Mixture. It's nice, and you may love it, if you like sweet aromatics, but as for me, there is nothing special in this bland, it's just like many others.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I was really hoping to like this and all with a cool name like this! This blend is very sweet. I think the underlying tobacco would be excellent if you could taste it at all! Also agree with the last review, there is some sort of funky soap aftertaste goin on here. I didn't care for this one at all just too darn fruity. However I did give the remainder of the tin to a rookie pipester and he loved the stuff! I dont think I will keep this on hand!

Jason Hurst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason Hurst (3)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

This tobacco can best be described in one word SWEET. Upon opening the tin you are overwhelmed with a fruity fragrance almost like a sweet tropical drink or a candy. It is cut uniformly and pressed rather tight in the tin. The Moisture content it spot on especially for an aromatic of this power and sweetness. Purist be ware there is very little here for you. It lights moderately well and smokes slow and very cool considering the sweetness. Room note is pleasant and smells oddly like Christmas, tree and all! The casing is so heavy there is very little tobacco taste. Some would say that it is over done and I can see that. It does have a place as a dessert smoke in my book. The after taste is mildly soapy but an over all clean feel. It is so sweet it actually can satisfy a sweet tooth.