The official United Pipe Clubs of America competition blend. Contains cubed and white burley and red Virginia. A full burley blend with a touch of sweetness from the Virginia. Practice with this if you're going to compete in pipe smoking contests.

Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutCube
Strength
Taste
2.7

FUN WITH C&D SAMPLES, Vol III, No. 1

No reviews for almost 3 years. Interesting!

This blend was very reminiscent of C&D's Burley Flake #2, with the exception of the bag aroma. BF #2's was nasty, and this one was pleasant, with a nice earthy, cigar note. The flavor was nearly if not absolutely identical to BF #2. C&D's burleys seem to contain very little sweetness (by the low amount of VA in the blend) and also aren't terribly nutty (with some exceptions). This one fit into that category. It reminded me of their Big-N-Burley without the latakia.

I would not categorize this as similar to OTC "codger burleys", at least not after the first 1/3 bowl. This one was stronger and more flavorful. It's a take on those old burleys but it has more depth and character. I do enjoy a fair number of OTC's but they have more of an "all day" bent. This one exhibited more complexity. And it was just as consistently flavorful.

As #2 was not my favorite of the Burley Flakes, this tobacco was well worth a try but will not make my regular rotation. I do recommend it, however, to those who like their burley robust and tasty and don't want a bunch of condimental tobaccos overruling the classic burley flavor.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

UPDATE: A very good and very smokable blend in that classic codger burley sort of manner. However, Old Joe Krantz and Purple Cow being the standard for Bob Runowski blends, I cannot in good faith give this one four stars. It's very good and very worth the time but pails (at least one star) when compared to the afforementioned truly remarkable Runowski blends.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: If you are a fan of the Codger Burley genre (PA, Edgeworth RR, etc.) This blend is for you. My first impression was that it was quite similar in mannerism to the classic American burley blends (Codger Burlies if you will). But the more I smoke of it, the more I get the little something extra. True to form if your looking for WOW!!! Knock your socks off, bells and whistles, 30 minutes in heaven, you should probably look elsewhere. Like its classic American burley forefathers, it's all about that understated simplicity. Always quite enjoyable in a modest, blue collar sort of way. The dab of Virgina provides and interesting something that kicks it up a notch without taking it over the top. If Codger Burley is your baseline and OJK is the other extreme, this is probably somewhere right in the middle. Undoubtedly one I will come back to time after time as a good middle of the road blend.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

Forget about just using this blend for practice...it makes a fine everyday smoke as it is. The Burleys are cube cut and smoother tasting than some of the other C&D Burley types I've tried. The Red VA adds just enough sweetness to keep the smoke from being boring. I received a sample of this before it was being marketed and the sample has aged extremely well. It has a very spicy note in the taste and aroma and burns to a fine ash. I've also found out that it's very good at removing residual flavors from estate pipes and helping cake a new pipe. I've got a love it or hate it feeling with all C&D blends, but this one falls into the better catagory. Good work.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This isn't one of C&D's better offerings -- it's terribly bland and has very little in the way of nicotine, which may of course be why it's considered a "competition" mixture. I was also stunned when I scorched my tongue on this -- judging from the tin description, tongue bite should have been the last thing I needed to worry about here.

Considering the fact that I only finished in the middle of the pack at last year's KC Show Pipe Smoking contest while sucking on this blend, I am being generous with my two star rating.

It may have a Burley/Virginia base, but I sure detected an Oriental component when I smoked it. Maybe old Craig Tarlar has changed the ingredients since then.

It did burn cool. I wish I could say that it burned to the bottom of the bowl leaving only "a fine white ash," but, I never got that far. )-:

drewfasa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drewfasa (6)

Wow, this was my first experience with a burly based blend and it blew my socks off. I have since tried others but this is definitely my favorite. The tin aroma is very nutty (the first tobacco I can actually say that I thought tasted nutty) and there is a subtle spice of cinnamon and nutmeg.

The sample I received was nice and dry, ready to smoke right out of the tin.

I really enjoy this tobacco, it tastes as good as it smell, burns wonderfully, and won't bite. Just really good tobacco flavour.

As someone who prefers 'nutty' and spicy tastes to fruity ones, I find this burly blend better than most others.