Kendal Kentucky is a full bodied, full strength tobacco of 100% African grown (Malawi, Uganda and Tanzania) variation of the actual Kentucky seed. These tobaccos are fire-cured which gives them their distinctive aroma and flavor. This is a fairly strong, but exceptionally cool tobacco for the lovers of dark-fired Virginias.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeOther
ContentsKentucky
CutShag
Strength
Taste

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this blend as it has been a staple in my cellar for the past three years. I don't regularly smoke a lot of Burley but I can't get enough of Kendal Kentucky. The shag cut makes for a very easy pack and burn; so easy that one has to be careful not to let it get too hot. I am going to go against the majority on this one as I do feel that there is a very, very light flavoring agent used in KK. It is also one unique tasting Burley. It's smoky, slightly sweet and not for beginners. KK is sneaky strong as it starts out medium in the strength department, but by mid bowl the power of KK really makes itself known. I don't find it to get bitter unless smoked too quickly. This is one of those blends that makes me wish for a five star system as it's not quite a four star blend for me, but better than three stars.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a bit of a trip down memory lane for me as it smells just like the tobaccos my Grandad used to smoke. I'll try to not let that cloud my judgement, much.

It smells nice in the bag (like all G,H&co. pipe tobaccos, it seems you can only buy this weighed out loose in England, so no nice tins) and has an attractive, uniform, burnt umber colouring. Despite the shag cut I found this tobacco to be easy to deal with and lacked both the wimpy ability to put flavour across and the temperamentality I usually find in this kind of tobacco.

The flavour has been well described here; being (to my tastebuds) woody and toasty with a hint of spice and a slight bitter dry edge softened with a natural and delicate muscovado sweetness.

Although this is a fairly strong tobacco I had no probelms with the occasional inhale because of it's seemingly complete lack of additives or flavourings (which always seem to irritate my lungs). I also tried rolling it in a cigarette paper and found it quite enjoyable - retaining it's full flavour and being of a much higher quality than any other hand rolling tobacco I've ever tried, which is admittedly, a limited number.

I can hardly fault the stuff. If you like smoking full flavoured, natural and high quality tobacco and you don't like paying huge amounts of money for the privellage you could do much worse than to smoke this!

Very similar to Kendal Dark so if you're interested in this you may also wish to read reviews of the other.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't normally write reviews based on a 5-bowl sample I was gifted, preferring to smoke an entire tin or a couple oz of bulk brands before I really get to know it. But this tobacco won me over immediately and it just keeps getting better. That 5-bowl sample was parlayed into a 2 lb purchase.

Dark and toasty, with hints of cocoa and sweetness, this beautiful shag cut blend of African Kentucky leaf smokes cool and rich (and fast!) from beginning to end. The taste does not change down the bowl, and I found that rewarding because it starts off wonderfully. It's a fairly strong, nicotine-laden tobacco but the shag cut produces a quick burn, and even a large pipeful tends to finish quickly. Speaking of "finish", the finish on this one makes me immediately want to fire up a second bowl (resist that temptation unless you have the nicotine tolerance of a 2 pack a day Marlboro Man). And speaking of cigarettes, this is a great blend to start the reformed cig smoker on his way to pipe enjoyment. Excellent room aroma as well. I'll be smoking this one very frequently, as I find the overall quality to be the equal of any blend out there. Tired of boring, bland burleys? Here's your cure.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been smoking this now for over six months and it is a permanent part of my rotation. Rich, creamy mouthfeel that only Kentucky/Burley can give. Smoking this always makes me think of the 19th century, of dark oily locomotives, farm houses full of tools and old hay. It's like entering a time machine. I like it better than the more modern H&H Old Dark Fired which is so popular now, but this is mainly due to the fact that KK is less processed, and has more N, is more straightforward and...well old fashioned. Not a modern smoke at all. Not to knock Old Dark Fired, which may have greater taste depth.

Aging this a bit (and/or microwaving it for a short time in a mason jar) smooths out most of the edges for me.

The shag cut enhances this in ways I do not understand, as a shag cut can often make other tobaccos difficult, fast burning or harsh. Not this one, as long as it's packed correctly and not dried out too much. Wonderful stuff.

Pipe Used: many pipes

Similar Blends: H&H Old Dark Fired, Irish Flake.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This came in a ziploc baggie. Shag cut, pulls itself out of the bag if you grab a few strands. Umber with flecks of sienna and ochre. Smells like cloves, cinnamon, dark virginia and cigars. The shag cut made it feel more moist than it really is. I let it dry for 20 minutes, and it was crisp and crumbly. Took more out and let it dry about 15 minutes, much better. Smoked it in an MM Washington.

This is strong tobacco. For me it was water-sipping strong. Tasted cocoa, espresso, crushed red pepper, with light flowery notes throughout. This was wery enjoyable. I could easily see ordering a few pounds and cellaring them.

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Being a shag, KK is fairly easy to pack and very easy to light. Usually, one charring light gets the ember going perfectly. I never bother to dry it at all. It just seems to taste and burn better straight out of the jar, and that taste is why I'm bothering with a review at all.

KK doesn't change much at all during the smoke. What you get at the light pretty much stays the same all the way down. The overall flavor may get a bit richer and fuller, but the profile doesn't change. The flavor, you ask? It's like describing the flavor of your favorite candy bar without being able to actually see the components. From KK, I get a sweet nuttiness like cashews. I get slightly bitter cocoa. There is a spiciness that tickles my tongue occasionally. If anything actually changes with this blend, it would be that the spiciness becomes more pronounced as the bowl progresses. And lingering in the background is that Gawith Hoggarth flavor that I can detect in almost every blend they make. In some it's pronounced, and in others, such as KK, it's very subdued. The overall effect is a beautiful taste that just makes me want to smoke bowl after bowl. Another thing worth mentioning is the sidestream on this one. The sweet chocolaty cigar-like notes that emanate from the smoldering bowl will make your eyes roll back in your head with ecstasy.

Lastly, the end of a bowl of KK will make you feel awfully good about your pipe smoking prowess. Even a novice such as myself can pretty easily smoke it down to the proverbial white ash. The only possible drawback to this blend is the amount of nicotine it imparts. To call it substantial would be a bit of an understatement. Just keep a glass of tea or soda next to you, and you'll be fine.

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I just finished a two-month stint of smoking a quantity of Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark, and Kendal Kentucky in rotation at various moisture levels, times-of-day, etc. in an effort to decide which one to start buying in bulk. In the end, although they seem quite different when smoked back to back, I can honestly say that if only any one of the three were available, I would lay in a large stock of it and be thankful.

The middle part applies to all three:

The cut is what I would call an "ultra-fine ribbon." Just wider than a true shag, but handles like a shag. I like how it dries out. I like packing it into the pipe. I like how it burns. It can burn really really fast if you truly pay no attention at all, and with tobaccos of this strength it can be unpleasant, but I am lazy and like how easy it is to get these ribbons to smolder compared to larger stuff. Just let it dry until nearly breakable, squeeze it, light it, and puff easy.

Nicotine. There's a lot in here. It awakens the senses, calms the mind, and coats the mouth.

The flavor of these is decidedly dark and strong. Meaty, tangy, oily, a little sweet, fermented, a little smoky. Smoking these is not a multi-dimensional experience like a symphony. More like Sacred Harp sing--4 notes, wild and good and loud. Full on dark tobacco taste. For real. Rough around the edges, raw, old-timey. I have nothing to compare it to, really. I can only say that I really like it and will keep something like this around at all times.

Dark Birdseye is my favorite. Kendal Kentucky is the only one of the three in which I can detect zero non-tobacco flavorants, but it is still tastier than Kendal Dark. It has a raw woody taste (absent in the others) that reminds my of Burley, which is very pleasant. It is decidedly the old-timey-est of the three.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

To finely cut for me to keep a decent light, and just a bit too much to really enjoy straight, for me this is a great tobacco to have to add a bit of Kentucky 'edge' to the milder blends and OTCs.

Pipe Used: briars, MM Cob

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Aesman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aesman (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Looking threw my cellar for something for xmas morning I discovered a 6 yr old gallon jar of this blend pop the lid and was greeted with a nice moist & sweet burley smell very unique, knowing shag cut I grabbed a fair amount for a couple of bowls , let it air dry on my tobacco bowl(paper plate) for 30 Min. stuffed my favorite chimney meerschaum & 2 charing lights& some steady puffing,was hit with a smooth & more mellow KK then when it was young very nutty ,sweet & much more mellow no tongue bite no matter how aggressive I smoked ,detected a sweetness that was not there before ,what can I say if you like 1 diminutional tobacco (not a bad thing in this case) with a little N kick in the pants this is a good blend for that but I would recommend put some in the cellar(office closet)for several years.

Pipe Used: Tall chimney meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 6 yrs

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very good tobacco from GH.
It's TOBACCO!
A good nicotine hit, light very easily, no tongue bite. The taste is full.
It's a very interesting tobacco if you need to add a nic hit to another ribbon tobacco by blending it by yourself (it's the same for Dark Flake unscented to mix with other flake).
It's a need in my cellar.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Peterson, ...

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 59;

Rated Percentage = 98%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Medium Strength, Nice Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, White Ash Burn.

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Kendal Kentucky has a lot of positive attributes, and very few negatives. I like the shag cut, which makes packing a bowl very easy. It lights and burns effortlessly. The shag cut makes it burn almost too quickly, and as a result, a bowl won't last too long. I liked the straight Virginia taste, which yielded some delicious nutty flavors. It smoked cool. Zero tongue bite. I did not find this tobacco to be overpowering in the nicotene component, it did put me in the bathroom once, but it did not bother me otherwise. Kendal Kentucky burns to a fine white ash, and leaves the bowl clean of dottle. A pleasant, no nonsense, smoke - recommended for those moving up from aromatics and those desiring a change from English blends. Recommended.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Great straight VA/Burley? here. The flavor is unique at least to for me right now but I really like it. It has an oak and hay-like taste for me and is not sweet like other blends of this type. Something makes we want more of it. It is in my regular rotation now and I would like to see how it ages if I can keep it around long enough. The shag cut is also a plus as it burns quickly great for a mid-morning smoke before getting back to work.

Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I like the shag cut of this; it's burns perfectly even and cool, with very little or no dottle. The taste is very strong, so smoke it in a small bowl or have a full stomach first. The nic hit can get you if you smoke it fast, particularly as you get past the half-way point in your bowl. It's one of the great Kentucky blends on the market. It's earthy strong without the sludge taste of a strong tobacco. There's a little nutty and light brown sugar sweetness, a slight spice, and a great taste that really pleases and never ends.

Darkly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darkly (3)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this from a fellow forum-ite as a sizable and somewhat aged (over a year old) sample. Please bare with me as this is my first pipe review here.. and I've only been smoking pipe seriously for about 8 months now so my palette is still in training. GH Kendal Kentucky is in a single word.. STRONG.. It's flavorful, and packs a strong dose of nicotine. I prefer this blend in a smallish pipe, especially a cob or my smaller SMS Meer. There is only the slightest hint of lakeland-like essence to it.. It gave me no tongue bite and I smoked it slowly to make sure it didn't turn bitter as some burley based tobby's are want to do. I find its a great "After a big meal" or last smoke of the night blend.. Highly recommend this to those with strong nic tolerances who actually want great flavor too!

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Pure bliss for lovers of Kentucky Burley , strong and full bodied smoke that burns clean and dry! Very satisfying.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this because I wanted to smoke a shag cut. The tobacco strength is medium but the nicotine strength grows from medium to strong when the bowl hits about midway through. I detect no added or artificial flavor. The room note is pleasant to me I do not have any other person's input on this category. The taste is good as long as I do not smoke the tobacco fast. My definition of fast means to heat the bowl beyond a comfortable touch. When I have fast smoked it becomes bitter. I highly recommend this tobacco to smokers that want a cool full flavored high nicotine smoke. It lights and stays lit very well.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dr. Scott's review nailed it. The only thing I might add is that I find the Lakeland essence a bit obnoxious here, in the sense that I think it tends to clash with the natural taste of this tobacco. The shag cut and massive nicotine hit come together to make this a great quickie smoke when you need one. This blend definitely has it's place, which for me will be at the back of the shelf, to be broken out on rare occasion rather than regular.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s shag cut. Perfect lazy man's smoke. Packs easily. Smokes easily. Burns well.

There is some sort of topping and/or casing (or that famous Lakeland essence) that gives a very pleasant herbal-spicy aroma. KK has a floral taste with occasional soapy tones. The Lakeland essence fades with a little time to air out, and is not nearly as pronounced as in other G, H & Co. blends.

But the main attraction in KK is its powerful nicotine hit. It has one of the strongest doses of nicotine available.

If smoked too fast, the flavor is lost and the smoke becomes bitter. The floral taste gets a little old by the bottom of the bowl. And your pipe will smell like Lakeland "essence" for a long time after the tobacco is gone.

I wouldn't buy this one again. I will probably mix it with some weaker and milder aromatics or Virginias that need a little kick.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This Tobacco is like Espresso in a full size coffee mug! It's strong, flavorful and will wake you up! I have smoked this in various size bowls and the smaller ones fair better. KK is not for the light at heart. Sipping is required and pushing it will result in a bitter pipe.

This is also a good Tobacco to clean out a smelly pipe the has to much aromatic flavor in it.

I took a star away due to the shag cut, as I think this would be a 4 star if the cut were ribbon.

Still a good choice if you want a good strong unadulterated Tobacco.

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Not far from three nun taste, but really better. It's like cream on your tongue. The strength of this tobacco don't affect the taste, but you feel full of nicotine after one little bowl. fours stars !

viscountlascelles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscountlascelles (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Gets me in the jowls and pectoris occasionally, but it has the nose and flavor I expect. Surprisingly finicky to keep lit for a shag but this may be due to the high humidity this late August.

Ground to a fine dust, this is stuff the English of yore snorted deeply and that made it into the novels of Sterne and Swift. So I find it's wonderfully evocative of a lost time and culture. Like Murads, Fatimas, Henry Clays and Don Alfredos.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is an okay tobacco to spice up something bland, but doesn't really amount to something that I could puff on regularly. To me, it tastes like burley, with a little acrid bitterness. After a couple of bowls, I added it to a mixture of some burley and aromatic tobaccos that I've compiled from blends I've not fancied. It did improve this, perhaps by balancing out the effect of the aromatics.

Great if you love burley and a little strength. For a Virginia lover, it was a little off base for me.

USCav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USCav (1)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Excellent for a quick smoke. Burns well and rarely requires a relight. If you are in the mood for a strong tobacco that will relax your senses, this is the one. You'll want to remain in the company of its fumes long after the bowl has been used up. Not recommended for new smokers or aromatics.

jopado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jopado (12)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I recently stumbled across my 4oz sample of KK dated 11/2008 so it was, what, about 16 months old before I tried it. I had done nothing special to cellar it. It was still in it's zip-lock shipper. I almost just tossed it but the bag felt spongy so I opened it. Still moist (almost too much so) so I figured, what the heck, why not?

Great smoke. It will be part of my rotation. Requires a fairly steady sip and frequent tamping (very lightly) to keep it lit but this a minor inconvenience compared to the full tobacco taste and round smoke it provides. I experience no after taste even though it takes two or three pipefuls before I feel like I've had enough. I recommend a tall cup of strong black coffee to accompany this smoke and don't try to stand up immediately afer you finish your pipe. It has given me reason to consider other shags which I have historically avoided.

I will always forgive a tobacco other sins when it smokes down to a fine white ash. Makes me feel like I've done somwthing right.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Its Christmas 2009 and one of my presents was a 4oz bag of KK. Smoking it right now in a custom made free form with a Dublin style bowl. This is everything that I hoped for and more. It brings back memories of walking through the woods of Northern Michigan. The smells of cedar, maple and oak filled the damp air with a touch of fern under foot. Smells of a log cabin with a fire roaring in the Franklin stove and a coffee pot brewing on top. What a great smell. This one may not please everyone but its a nice reminder of what pipe smoking can be. Happy Christmas to all and to all a good smoke !

EDIT: Two things that I have experienced that I think I should pass along. 1. Dont smoke on an empty stomach

2. This tobacco is strong enough to do a basement or garage run when in the company of non-smokers and still get your 'fix'.

Happy Smoking all !

Its now 2010 and I have a new shipment of KK. Surprisingly its a bit stronger than the batch that I had last year, but still delivers. Got some Dark Birds Eye this time too, I seem to like that a bit better than the KK. Going to jar up a few oz's of the KK and see what happens in a few months.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I didn't like this at first, and it seemed like it was going to be boring, but after a few bowls it got to me and I finished the rest of the pack with gusto. Not the best start after lighting in that it seemed to have a sort of stinging bitterness, but that soon gave way to a good, steady, tasty smoke with plenty of strength. No fuss to pack, kept fine and went far. I got mine loose, as this seems to be the way they sell it all around these parts; I live 20 miles or so away from Kendal.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Not my favorite style, but I see how others could like it. It can come across as deceptively mellow at first, but unless you smoke it in a small bowl very slowly, it lets you know otherwise. Gave me hiccups, and I'm not kidding! This is one of the tobaccos I'll keep in a jar for a while to see if it improves with age-improve, I say, but this isn't quite right. It's great stuff, just a little too much for me. I have had some success using it to spice up less interesting blends. Though African in origin, this is Ur-Kentucky. I do think I would like it better blended with some milder, sweeter Virginia. Shag is also not my favorite cut.

1-24-10 Mixed in 30% or so of Nicotiana Rustica. If you don't know what that is, google it, or see my review, "Nicotiana Rustica Bundles." Quite the nicotine bomb. Neither Kendal Kentucky nor Rustica are elegant tobaccos. KK by itself leaves a funky taste in your mouth. It has its charm, though, and will certainly satisfy your nicotine cravings.

4-11-11 Still strong, but at this point, I've had stronger. I like shag now. This has mellowed with age.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a unique blend, shag cut, very fine. The flavor is dark, deep and earthy sweet. One of my favorites.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The bag aroma reminds me of Brown Irish Twist, but it tastes like Irish Flake as someone already noted. There are light, dark, and medium brown tobaccos in the shag. I'm thinking I taste each one, but I would be hard pressed to defend that assertion. It impresses me as medley of Kentucky flavors. In Irish Flake I get a monolithic, but delicious flavor. I think it is fair to say not all burleys taste the same, and this is composed of multiple Kentucky tobaccos. This resembles a variety of Gawith Kendal tobaccos flavors.

I have had good luck with a range of bowl sizes with this shag. This is not a patio smoke for me, not in this windy city. Actually, it burns too fast inside for my liking. I invariably find myself loading multiple bowls in the evening when I settle down with a pipe. Otherwise, the burning characteristics are great.

I give this one a qualified 4 stars. It is delicious, but I don't like shags.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

No nonsense full rich tobacco taste, if you like straight tobacco and some strength this could be for you. Only thing that may be a negative for me, it is a fast burn. I give it a full 4stars on its own merit and not comparing this to any other tobacco that I have had, as it is clearly unique in my opinion.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

Well this is a new addition to the rotation for sure.

Deep, tobacco flavor without hint of adulteration or additive. Sweet with toasty notes it burns like a dream. Innocent looking with a hidden intent to lull the unwary to indulge.

Burns clean, pure and no threat, hint or thought of a burn. Although containing a substantial amount of nicotine, it isn't a killer, at least to these seasoned taste-buds. Not a good first choice if one is in transition from aromatics, unless you really believe in the old sink-or-swim school.

Love the fluffiness that makes a pound seem like so many more. Makes for some interesting mixtures if combined in the leftover jar. Will put balls on even a mango!

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

There's no much I can add to the great reviews below. If you want to know what Kentucky tastes like, this is the blend to try. The shag cut makes it very easy to pack and to stay lit, providing a cool smoke with no tongue bite at all.

If you like burley, you're gonna love this. Try to avoid big bowls thou, as this is much stronger than regular burley.

Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Natural and wild taste and flavor, deep and tasty, powerful and virile. A true tobacco for veteran piper, Nicotine, Nicotine and Nicotine. Take good meal before you start your bowl.

This is not the type of tobacco I smoke frequently, I always prefer mild straight blend since I am very sensitive to nicotine, but I enjoy 1 bowl of this nicotine bomb when I have the mood for it.

This is the real tobacco.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This one is quite special. More smokey and woodsy than you might expect, really strong. A definite sweetness/niceness there, man. This one will delight. No toppings, nothing but the fire cured Kentucky. For those who know, you're the lucky ones. For those who don't like latakia, try this, don't be putting down the fire cured just yet. Gawith Hogarth wins again. Oh, and no trace of the "lakeland soapiness," if you're worried about that.

Update: Well, I had to vacupack a bunch of this that I could not feature smoking any more of at the present time. Let me tell you, it was weird, I thought I had found a favorite tobacco, and suddenly, one night when traveling, I could hardly tolerate the stuff. Next morning same thing. I just haven't been able to deal with it since. Something just built up to the point that all I could taste was this cloying smokiness and little else. I cleaned my pipes and tried again, and it was almost worse. So, I guess the jury's still out on this one for me, two too divided experiences. I'll have to get back to it someday.

itoosmokeapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
itoosmokeapipe (3)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is great by itself, and also great as a mixer for your virginias when you want a little smokey tang added to them. The taste is straight-forward, smoky kentucky. Try it... you'll probably like it.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fluffy shag.... that's for sure. This is my first experience with something so.... well, so shaggy! This makes it easy to pack, stays lit and smokes down without any need to mess with it. It has a pleasant, straight forward taste. Tastes like tobacco! Imagine that, in a world of any flavoring available. With Kendal Kentucky you get a straight forward smoke. I seem to get quite a nicotine kick out of this stuff too. We live in a great time, with so many varieties of tobacco to choose from. I strongly recommend that you give this one a try - you won't be disappointed.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Thanks to all of you tobacco mavens.......and you know who you are. I got around to trying K.K. What took me so long? I've been on the Virginia super hiway...and what a hiway it is. The description above says content "Virginia", but the best I can tell is this is pure Burley. For someone that in the past didn't think they liked burley a few blends that were recommended here have certainly changed my mind ie. Stonehaven, Aged Burley Flake, etc. Now comes this fine blend. Besides the price for this bulk blend, I find that this is "bout as good as it gets!

This is a "lazy mans" smoke. No drying, rubbing out.....just untangle, stuff, light, and enjoy. Strong for sure....loads of flavorfull smoke.reminds me somewhat of another favorite Irish Flake. This is a great buy, and a great smoke from one of the oldest tobacco houses around. I rate this onbe

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)

A fire-cured burley,same cut and burn as DBE,but less of a nic-kick.I dont detect any of the "Lakeland essence" that is normally found in Va.'s cured in this manner,(hung to dry over smoking leaves) Excellent body,smooth,never harsh or bitey and always a pleasure morning or night.Definitely one to try if you enjoy fire cured leaf,burley or stronger blends!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

For Burley lovers who prefer strength over topping. This one is a powerhouse and perhaps, no, without question, the strongest Burley I've smoked.

Kendal Kentucky, being a Burley, burns with no problem as you might imagine. It is also easy to pack. I usually smoke Burley crimp, ribbon or cube cuts in larger pipes because they burn so fast. With Kendal Kentucky, you may want to try a smaller bowl. If you are not used to blends that impart a powerful dose of nicotine, don't drive while smoking.

DownSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DownSouth (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

A very nice straight forward tobacco, which is what I like! The shag cut make for a shorter smoke, so this is great for breaks and lunch at the office! To me, this is a nice all day smoke. None of the "soap" taste in this fine lakeland blend, it is a regular in my rotation. If you like straight forward pure tobacco, you can't go wrong with this blend!

reconboa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reconboa (1)

As with all comfirmed pipe smokers, we have all countless hours, money and time in search of the perfect tobacco that matches their taste. This is the one for me. Straight up stoved burley tobacco. This is not for the beginner and is most surely a aquired taste. For me the taste and aroma are outstanding. The shag cut is easy to pack but be cautious don't tamp too hard or it will not draw. The flavor stays consistent to the bottom of the bowl to a fine white ash. No tongue bite at all. A very smokey taste and aroma due to the stoving process. This is now my all day smoke.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoking Kendall KY, for the first time, is like going to the senior prom with the bouffanted barmaid from the local taproom and she's driving her '72 Eldorado with the leopard skin seat covers. This is a serious experience, not to be taken lightly and not to be forgotten. It is life transforming rite-of-passage. KKY pushes the limit of the matured smoker. It is a mostly black fragrant shag cut tobacco blend of cosmic strength. I was fortunate enough to have ordered my staple 5Bros from Marscigars. Small samples of Kendall KY and the GH Dark shag were included, clearly for seduction purposes. 5Bros is legendary for strength and flavor, full-bodied and unpretentious shag cut for pipe or chew. Kendall KY is about halfstep above 5Bros in taste and burn, with the added charm of a roomnote like all-night smoking Parodis little cigars. Not unpleasant but real tobacco. After I smoked all of the sample, I bought another 8 oz, perfect with an apple meer of great reliability. Kendall KY doesn't burn clean or smooth, or handle relights well. But, it provides a thoroughly enjoyable experience to the bottom of the bowl, and a wonderful lingering aroma to your clothes. If this were a movie it would clearly be NC17. Good stuff for the experienced pipesmoker.

Idiom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idiom (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

This really isn't the type of tobacco I normally like so I'm not too suprised that I don't. I've tried to like it and it doen't seem like a bad tobacco, nice fine shag that packs well and burns ok, smells interesting in the pouch a sort of smokey chocolaty manure. Once you've had a few puffs though you're left with a dry mouth that tastes something like an ashtray. The sample i'm reviewing seems very dry so perhaps I just have a bad batch, this one is going to the back of my draw.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I have not smoked my entire 2 oz's of this, but liked it right from the start, and I still do. This is a very fine, string cut, so no difficulties packing or keeping it lit. It has a full, burley flavor and should be sufficient for most people in the nicotine department. If you have tried the Dark Birdseye, think of this as a lighter version. I tend to smoke a pipe of this, then follow it with the Dark Birdseye. You might like this even if you have not liked other burley tobaccos in the past. This is one of my regulars, along with Peterson University Flake and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

- A mixture of various dark fired leaf from Africa in a shag cut

First off, really great! Harmonious smoking qualities with characteristics of slight smokiness (from it's curing method), mild nutty and cigar-like overtones, enough natural sweetness to just round out flavor and aroma. This may be mild on the palatte but has a goodly amount of nicotine, as to be expected from fire cured types. Being so satisfying in that regard this may be descibed as "A bowl will do ya'." By the way, smokes dry and very easy to keep lit via shag cut. This is similiar to Gawith's "Dark Birdseye" which is more smoky, intense and stronger than Kendal Kentucky. This is most likely will become a regular smoke for me. Straight burley smokers should try this along with cigar aficionandos.

- Highly recomended

Steve P-H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve P-H (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I agree with just about everything in Paddy's review. Kendal Kentucky has the same miniscule shag cut as Dark Birdseye. It's about the same strength, and I find it more flavorful.

I've put this in my regular rotation for evenings when I don't have time for a full bowl of a dark Kendal flake such as 1792. The cut of Kendal Kentucky makes for a less densely-packed pipe, so the smoke goes faster than with a flake.

I perceive the "nuttiness" that Paddy describes also in the aroma, both in the room note and in the aroma the tobacco imparts to the briar or meerschaum as it's smoked. I haven't seen this latter pheonomenon discussed on Tobacco Reviews. I have the (perhaps strange) habit of smelling the briar or meecschaum bowl as part of the enjoyment of a pipe. Each tobacco imparts a unique aroma to the pipe during the smoke. Each of my favorite briars also seems to contribute something unique to this aroma, while all meerschaums seem to contribute about the same pleasant patina. My favorite pipes and favorite tobacco blends are ones that excel in this quality.

Does anyone else experience this, or am I just weird?

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant

I recently picked up two ounces of Kentucky from my local shop. I love burley and, this variety will surely please those smokers who favor the natural essence of dark cured burley. Although there is no scent added to this variety, a wonderful aroma of charred vanilla and pepper are released during the first few pulls after the initial light. Following this initial phase, the robust characteristics of full-strength burley dominate the pallet the entire life of the bowl. This is one of my favorite's that I smoke straight or, use for my own blends that are burley based. When used as a base for blending, its shag-like consistency makes blending a bit difficult with cube and square cut tobaccos. Although most of the reviews that you made read for Gawith-Hoggarth tobaccos refelct an air of dominating strength and potency, I viewe them as a throw back to the old days of uncased, well cured, natural tobaccos that yeild pleasure for all pipe smokers.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Strong None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is very similar to G&H Dark Birdseye which is a favorite of mine among the English "dark" tasting tobaccos. This is a personal classification of mine which would include G&H Dark Flake, Sliced Brown Twist, Sliced Black Twist, et. al. I like this one, perhaps, a little bit better than Dark Birdseye because the Kentucky adds a very nice, but muted, nutty flavor to the smoke. This tobacco will find a place among my tobaccos for the occasional smoke. Highly recommended. Paddy.