Comprised from the same tobaccos as unscented Brown Flake, this medium bodied flake is augmented with the addition of traditional British flavorings (70%) and vanilla and fig extract (15% each). Designed for those smokers who enjoy the Brown Flake, but want a more traditionally flavored British Flake.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Other / Misc, Vanilla
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
2.7
renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

You know, I 'm not sure I am smoking the same blend as the others reviewers either. I have sampled a 25g loose pack.

I must confess at the outset, firstly I am an aromatics fan and secondly I bought this in an attempt to relieve my favourite Savinelli pipe of the Talisman ghost.

That said, this is supposed to be an aromatic. It isn't. Admittedly Mrs RH made no comment when I was puffing away in the lounge this afternoon but this has no smell little room note and doesn't taste of anything much.

Vanilla and fig ? Yer having a giraffe !

It's rubs out easily and actually burns quite well, with few relights. Boils up really hot and harsh after about 10 minutes of relatively mild puffing.

Seems this poor old tobacco hasn't got much going for it as far as I am concerned then but hey it smells nice in the tin.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Overall a good place to start for this type of floral flake. It appears to be in the middle in several ways to include: strength of tobacco, floral flavor, tobacco flavor, room note, and actual appearance (mottled brown or medium brown). Which is why I only give it two stars there are just other flakes I like quite abit better then this particular flake. I like these flakes less strong, and with more floral flavor. It did seem to have more of a tobacco flavor and was abit stronger but not over the top by far. All and all ok but prefer other offerings.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

This particular tobacco left me in a bit of a quandary. Two reviewers who?s opinions I value (Pipestud and Chaplikc) were diametrically opposed in their assessments of this flake. The solution to this quandary was simple enough ? I had to try it myself. Opportunity presented itself in the form of a very generous sample from a friend.

I was prepared to endure the overpowering floral taste to get to the good stuff. What I was not prepared for was the tongue abuse that started with the charring light. I thought it was my imagination. I smoked on. The floral taste seemed to be diminishing, but by the time I had smoked 1/3 of the bowl, I had consumed so much water that I am sure I sloshed when I walked. By the halfway point I was done. I traded the rest of the bowl for a bottle of Biotene.

Since we all smoked this pretty dry, moisture wasn?t a factor in the tongue bite. In fact, Chaplikc and I smoked it from the same sample. He wasn?t bitten. I was mauled. The proprietor of the shop said he was bitten badly too. I smoked this at a ridiculously slow rate, and since the bite started at the charring light, I have concluded that it was not my puffing technique that was at fault. The conclusion I have come to is that there is something in this blend that is simply incompatible with some people?s body chemistry.

I was among the unfortunate who cannot smoke this. I will be sure to give the rest of what I have to Chaplikc the next time I see him.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

On a recent visit to my local B & M (LJ Peretti), one of the knowledgeable members of the staff suggested that I try Scented Brown Flake. Having never enjoyed the floral taste (aka soapiness) of some of the Lake District offerings and I was a little apprehensive about trying this one. After reading reviews (even the ones that claim to be able to evaluate a tobacco after one bowl or less)of the broken flake I was even more nervous. The description supplied by the manufacturer states that this is scented with Tonquin, Licorice and Maple. I almost decided to toss out the sample without trying it.

Let me say that I am glad I smoked the sample. I am also looking forward to smoking the several ounces I have purchased since finishing the sample. The tonquin is lightly applied as is the licorice and maple - so light that I could not get it on my radar screen. My wife, however, said that she thought this did not smell as bad everything else I smoke.

The burn is even and complete. The flavor is rich and full. The blend is of Virginia and Burley and both are exceptional in quality. I suffered no (that is, zero, none, not any)tongue bite whatsoever. The aftertaste is even pleasant. I may say that this might be one of the finest flakes of its kind, IMO. Little to no soap, no bite, great smoke.

Gretchen gives this a full five barks.

Ok, I bought this one based on my idea of it being a cross between Brown Flake unscented and Ennerdale, both of which I enjoy very much. It actually does fit that bill but the result was a bit less than I envisioned.

This is obviously Brown Flake with added flavoring/scent. The unscented Brown Flake has an earthy, robust quality that remains in this blend. The flavorings (fig? I guess I haven't tasted fig in awhile) offer a nice blanket over the tobacco and the result is a sweet and flowery tasting batch of masculine tobacco that is not overbearing. This stuff refused to bite no matter how much I provoked it, but it could turn bitter. Smoked in a normal relaxed manner, it was a naturally sweet smoke with burley richness and fullness of body. The rose/geranium flavoring seemed a bit more over the top than Kendal Flake but not quite as much so as Ennerdale. Somehow this combination worked but it worked less well than I had hoped. I can't put my finger on its shortcomings, and I think some further experimentation is in order.

G&H Flakes, with the exception of Rum Flake, have really been impressing me lately. This one not so much but I can still recommend it to folks who enjoy both the Brown Flake unscented and Ennerdale Flake. This should have been a 4 star blend for me and I'm not sure why it isn't. Give it a try and see for yourself.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I received this from pipesandcigars.com, a very good store to deal with by the way. I've been working my way through some of the Gawith's blends. Basically I'm an aromatic smoker so I chose the scented version of Brown Flake to try. The flake is very nice with a pleasant aroma. Rubs out easily and lights quickly. At first it was a hot virginia with the traditional british burst of flower/incense aroma. There's an intense virginia flavor that can be quite spicy if puffed to hard. As a good smoke it begins to settle down and the flavors start to separate into a more manageable experience. It's sweet and complex and burns cooler than some other VA's I've tried.

As it got into the last third of the bowl magic happened. There's were flavors I had never experienced with pipe tobacco before. I knew then this is why we smoke a pipe. Indescribeable flavors and depth of sweetness. When the tobacco ran out I was mad! How could such a joyride come to such an abrupt end? I knew this was something I'm going to spend many hours exploring in the future. Highly Recommended!

5/30/06 Another blend that improves with aging. All the Gawaith blends really come into their own with a year of aging. Helps to bring the flavors together, sweetens the virgina's and cools the smoke.

Carlo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

TIN AROMA: A beautiful rich aroma. But although it contains vanilla and fig topping, the smell actually is a perfect facsimile of Fry's Turkish Delight; basically rose flavoured Turkish delight and chocolate.

ROOM NOTE: The confectionary smell is less obvious here but still has a sweet, fruity, chocolate aroma; it's just mixed with a classic sweet virginia note. Perhaps a touch of English soapiness is there, too.

PACKING: Once rubbed out it's actually quite a fine cut and fairly leathery to the touch. In this respect it's similar to ST. Bruno. A joy to pack the bowl with.

LIGHTING: Again, a pure joy. Produces tons of delicious white smoke as soon as the flame hits the weed. A couple of matches and one tamper is all you need.

APPEARANCE: A mixture of dark and bright virginia that produces quite a dark brown but flecked appearance. If fully rubbed out it resembles cigarette tobacco as the strands are very fine. Moisture content is perfect and has a slightly leathery texture.

SMOKING: This is one of my favourites. It burns very evenly and not too quickly for a virginia; I believe this is down to a little added burley which is not listed above. However, as with all virginias, care has to be taken with the smoking if you don't want to end up with a mouth full of blisters. Having said that, it burns a lot cooler than your average virginia. The flavour is the perfect balance between quality virginias and a 'not-too-intrusive' delicious topping. The main flavour I detect is chocolate with an underlying fruitiness, topped off by the floral edge typical of North West England blends. In fact the taste is quite esoteric and singular; it remains constant to the bottom of the bowl and never becomes harsh. I believe this makes it a very different and interesting aromatic. The result is a very tasty, multi-dimensional, complex flavour that is never dull. It burns to a very fine grey ash that doesn't stick to the walls of the bowl. Although it sounds odd, if you mix this particular blend with latakia or latakia/Turkish with a 50/50 ratio the result is pure heaven; a sort of 'sweet and sour' that burns cool. The point is, it has a very versatile flavour that shines through without spoiling any natural tobacco flavour. Nicotine-wise, I find this blend mild, but the smoke is fairly full-bodied in the mouth with a good, rich flavour. I give this blend five out of five stars; I can thoroughly recommend it.

PROS: Wonderful, complex flavour, packs, lights and burns well and cleanly. Very versatile. An excellent quality virginia that is never boring.

CONS: None really, other than the usual biting problems if you forget it's a virginia. Also, you may not like it if you don't care for that calassic floral taste; personally, I love it!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the second of G&H brown flakes. I like the unscented brown flake the best - full and hearty but with a natural deep virginia sweetness and a helping of burley earthiness to boot. If I want something a little lighter (and I do mean a little), I go for G&H Best Brown Flake No. 2, which is also a little sweeter than the unscented, fuller version. But here goes with the aromatic version.

Same body and underlying earthiness as with unscented brown flake, but obviously here we have an amalgam of flavors added. No one flavor stands out to me, but it is noticeably sweeter than either of the other two versions. Tasty indeed. Smoked slowly it does not really bite me, but it can be a bit sharper than the other two. I understand the comments about the charing lights.

Despite the many flavors added (like maple, etc.), they are clearly evident but not overwhelingly so. (Some other G&H scented lakeland flakes are even more aromatic.) The natural tobaccos underneath still come through.

If you want a sweet full tobacco and you are use to flakes, give this a try. You'll probably like one of these three brown flake versions. If they are too much, try something like Germain's version (straighter) or then to Samuel Gawith's version (sweetened).

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I do not normally gravitate towards aromatics but I do have an open mind towards them and am willing to try them. I am glad I did in this instance! ( I have sorely regreted some that I've tried - mixture 79 yuck!!!!) I was very apprehensive and quite put off by the smell of this in the bag. In fact I pulled out an old savinelli that I rarely smoke for the first bowl of this. The aromatic agent is overwhelming to me in the pouch. The flavor of this is very good. The virginia is of high quality and the aromatic agent plays well with it. The flavors reminded me of honey, fig, and the way orange blossoms taste when you smell them. The floral note is definately present throughout the bowl but is not as predominant as the smell of it in the bag may lead you to believe. Underneath the other flavors is a nice quality tasting virginia. The virginia in this is of the sweeter variety which may be why it can smoke hotter for others. While this blend does not give me tongue bite it does not smoke cool, it is a cased virginia flake. By the way I've been smoking this outside in Florida summer heat and humidity. If this smokes a little warm for me at times it is probably my own fault for smoking it in 96 degree weather when the humidity is at 95%. I give this the highest rating not because I smoke this all of the time but because IMO this is one of the finest aromatic blends I've ever smoked.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Strong note on the tobaccos in the bag, with hints of the flavorings (I didn't get any of the fig or vanilla in the bag or smoke, but that's likely just me). The flake wouldn't roll or fold, so I went with a very rough rub-out. It packed lightly but lit well on all tries on one match after a pre-light and light tamp.

Not a lot of smoke but a lot of flavor. The florals & other flavors were certainly present in the aftertaste of the smoke, but added to the experience. While it burned fairly hot, not even a hint of bite. Not a tobacco I would recommend for beginners. I'll smoke through what I have, but then will likely try other related flakes.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

First up, I have to say that from reading the descriptions here I am not entirely certain that I am smoking the same blend as the other reviewers! Nevertheless, the tobacconists tub said it was Scented Brown Flake so I have to assume that it is.

So, let's cut to the chase. It's scented and then some! I've not tried many other G&H blends but I enjoy a bit of St Bruno and various other 'English' style flakes and plugs so I was prepared to like this. Unfortunately the particular scents used do not appeal to me at all.

I get a combination of violet, rose and geranium, all pretty cloying. The tobacco is there (I get a fair amount of burley in addition to VA) but it is mostly overshadowed by the powerful perfume. At about the half-way mark the VAs peep through more regularly and I experience the odd moment of pleasure, but not sufficient to make smoking the first half of the bowl worthwhile.

English readers may recall the flavour of those little purple 'Parma Violet' sweets from their childhood. Now imagine smoking them!

Somewhat recommended as if you enjoy that type of thing you will probably enjoy this tobacco more than I did. I am going to put mine in a jar then try it again in a few months to see if has mellowed at all, probably in a clay or cob to prevent flavouring my briars any further.

Of all the 'Gawith and Hogwarts' blends I have tried so far I have enjoyed Black Twist, Brown Twist, Revor Plug and Dark Flake Unscented (not because they all happen to be strong, but I have found the flavours pleasing). I have not enjoyed this flake or Rum Flake. Hopefully this will help other reviewers to orient themselves when assessing the relevance of this review for their own particular tastes.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I've been looking forward to trying a Lakeland tobacco for a while now. I'm not entirely sure what sparked my interest. Maybe it was the peculiarity of reviewers discussing a "floral" note. Or perhaps my disdain for No. 79 set me in the direction of finding a more acceptable perfumed smoke.

At the smoke shop, I mentioned to the tobacconist that I'd like to try a strong aromatic. From under the counter came a giant, unopened box of Brown Flake Aromatic. I could smell the stuff a foot away, and a closer sniff made me even more curious.

If I could describe the smell, I'd compare it to Earl Grey Tea. Though I had doubts about the aroma, I knew very well that the tobacco would be top notch. G&H products have always excelled in quality, so I wasn't too afraid about experimenting. Pipe tobacco is a a great avenue for the adventurous person; there's so much endless variety.

The smoking experience of Brown Flake Aromatic is certainly interesting for someone that has never tried a Lakeland tobacco. It tasted exactly as I had imagined it would. So often one buys an aromatic for the smell, only to find it tastes nothing like that aroma you fell in love with. And here, that peculiar floral scent was always at the front in flavor, from the initial light to the ending draw.

I read a few complaints about the moisture level. My sample was fairly typical. I didn't have a problem keeping the tobacco lit, and I didn't feel the tobacco bite as some have remarked.

This won't be an every day smoke for me. The quality is definitely there but it's a matter of taste. I'm not turned off to Lakeland tobaccos as a consequence of this offering, it just wasn't the flavor I was searching for. I know it's out there.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hmmm, I also was suggested this blend to try by one of the staff at LJ Peretti's, lol.

As with all the reviews that I have made so far regarding Gawith blends, their flavorings are used to accentuate the high quality tobaccos that they use- not overpower them.

This blend packs and lights easily. One false light, a quick tamp and re-light, and off to some quality downtime. The taste is consistent down the run of the bowl. The flavorings are subtle, weaving in and out of the experience. The taste and flavorings go from mild to medium with a slight increase in puffing tempo, (and it still does not bite!).

It burns to a dark grey and white ash, without moisture build-up in the heel.

Very Nice Indeed!

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Yep, another scented flake from the Gawith guys, this one built on G&H Brown Flake. This one is not quite in the same league as their other scented "soapy" flakes, IMO. The flavoring is quite similar to many others (they all differ in subtle ways, but the floral "scented" theme is the same). I happen to like the admittedly acquired taste, but others clearly do not.

I must agree with pipestud above that this blend has a wicked bite. My order arrived very dry, not sure whether it was shipped by G&H that way or had been sitting around at my suppliers drying out. At any rate, excess moisture was not the issue with the bite. In fact, I even slightly rehumidified about an ounce in case the bite came from too-rapid combustion, and it still had shark's teeth.

The odd thing is, regular (unscented) BF does not seem to have this biting problem for me. And other scented G&H flakes (like Ennerdale for instance) do not burn so hot. It seems like BFA is an outlier.

I would not recommend this blend for this reason. Maybe if one built up enough oral scar tissue though...

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I regretfully ordered a couple of ounces of this tobacco a few weeks ago. One bowl was all it took for me to determine I had made a mistake.

This rascal bit like a bulldog and adding insult to injury, left a floral taste in my mouth and pipe that is just now starting to subside.

Yuck!