Many of you know the slow-burning, dry-smoking qualities of our outstanding English mixtures but did not want large amounts of Latakia and Turkish. Our new Select mixture answers that need now, mild, slow-burning, dry smoking with just enough top quality Latakia and Turkish to know it's there. Select Mixture, rich without being heavy.

BrandSmoker's Haven
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Packaging8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
3.2
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The Virginia is a little earthy, grassy, toasty, and slightly sweet. The Latakia is light, adding a mild smokey quality that gets a hint of spice from the Oriental/Turkish components. Needs to dry some before smoking. Burns fairly smoothly, though not as much as some of SH's other blends. I know it was designed for light English smokers, and while it does accomplish that goal, I find this rather wanting when I compare it to other light English mixtures. There are several light English blends that have more complexity and satisfying taste, and at a lower price point. As well made as this is, I can't give it more than two stars.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (64)

Another from the BoB bombardment I recieved. Light English blend.

Not bad at all. The cut is ok, I wouldn't say great bc the shag portion of it is kind of long and can clump up while loading the pipe. Tin note is a bit smokey, and kind reminds me of a peaty kind of smoke like from a good scotch. Smoked nice and slow, easy to pack and light. Has a sweetness to it that pokes it's head up from time to time. Mellow taste, smokey and rich. More oriental forward than Latakia.

Probably not a good one for in the house if other people don't smoke English blends. Could be an all day smoke without burning out the taste buds. Good blend for a newer English smoker or someone who appreciates them more.

Update: 12/16/15 I finished off the rest of the jar I had today. I have decided this is worth another half a star, bringing it up to 3 1/2 total. Has a earthy richness to it I didn't appreciate fully before. Also, the strength is appropriate to be a good all day smoke. I say this bc I literally smoked this all day today haha.

Pipe Used: Kurt Huhn poker

Purchased From: Gift

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

SM is the lightest of smoker's Haven's Germain-made recreations of their original blends made by Sobraine of London. It is a very light English, with delicious Virginias. While there is the presence of both Orientals and some Latakia, the Virginias are dominate and give the mixture an overall naturally sweet flavor. SM is not familiar to many who love Our Best Blend and Exotique but it fills a place in my rotation, especially for the first pipe of the day. Recommended.

Age When Smoked: 2003

Purchased From: Smoker's Haven

A very moist mix of ribbons and shag, ranging from blonde to black. Tin aroma of orientals and Virginia with some added topping, and a smidge of latakia in the background, Syrian variety. Drier was better, but not too dry or this will turn to dust quickly.

The 20th Anniversary I smoked recently had a pretty heady alcohol topping, which is muted here but still noticeable with each puff. That diminishing elevated this blend over its cousin. This is a Virginia-forward oriental blend and it had a sweet and spicy quality but this is for those that prefer sweetness with an extra soft punch. Less of a crossover than 20th but also lighter tasting overall. Light but fairly rich - a combination I always find enjoyable. However, there are certain tobaccos who provide an experience that is difficult to quantify. This is one of them - just not much to say about it. Compared to some other SH blends, this one is kind of boring, but I think the point of this is to be an all-day type of thing, at least until the evening. Not very complex at all, as it never seemed to change its flavor. If a light-bodied but more medium flavored blend is something you're after, this is one to try. No more for me, but still a reasonably strong 3 stars.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Normally I like blends with large amounts of oriental or latakia. This is one of the lighter blends that I really enjoy. The sweetness from the virginia is at the forefront, with the orientals there for added support. The latakia is in the background and just barely noticeable. The dark pieces in mine (latakia) had tons of white and grey crystals on them. Yummy!

I really enjoy this, and because it is such a light smoke, I can enjoy bowlful after bowlful.

I like it!

One caveat: This is the wettest tobacco I've ever found in tin form. 10% of the weight was probably moisture (I'm exaggerating), but I did need to lay it out overnight before it was to my liking, and it is a ribbon cut!

Made with the special touches that only Germain can produce, Select Mixture contains special well aged Virginia and puts that leaf at the forefront. They then added just enough of their world renoun ripe Orientals to produce spice and cool burning delight, and finished up with just enough Latakia to add zest and smokiness to the mixture. Another winner from Germain and Smoker's Haven!

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)

The tin note on this one is straight tobacco with latakia, which the description says is present yet is barely noticeable. Turkish tobaccos seem to be at the core of this blend. It does not smoke as cool as the other Smokers haven blends and it is definitely not as complex either. Not a horrible smoke, but I would not buy it again.

Pipe Used: Stanwell bent rusticated egg

Purchased From: Smokers Haven

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (163)

This mixture is a dream come true for me. An English mixture with all the attributes but milder in taste, unlike Standard Mixture Mild. An exceptional achievement in my opinion. All the components are top quality. Germain and Smokers Haven are to be commended for bringing back this masterpiece. This is a mixture reminiscent of those available over 40 years ago.

Update: My love affair with this blend has waned. I think it's a little light, even for me. The unflavored black cavendish, that fills in for the latakia and turkish, fails to satisfy my taste. I much prefer IBT by the same blender.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Through this winter I have really favored Virginians, but English blends are part of my regular rotation. Two premium crumble cake flakes are part of my inventory. One day I brightened an English flake with Xmas Cheer and was pleased. That led me to find a lighter English blend. Select Mixture is that great blend. There?s so much to like-quality, complexity and balance. The very fine ribbon cut allows for effortless smoking. It smokes well in both small and large bowl pipes- quite user friendly. The Syrian Latakia and Turkish are perfectly applied by never outpacing the sweet and tangy Virginians. Each component tobacco shows up throughout the bowl. If you enjoy Early Morn Pipe, Squadron Leader and Presbyterian Mix you should not miss this blend, and HH Vintage Syrian, sadly, can?t compare. The bowls finishes with a dry, powdery ash. This is a marvelous all day smoke. I am head over heels on this blend.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm really enjoying this superb string cut blend. It's mostly a VA, with a small amount of Turkish & sprinkled ever so lightly with Latakia. I'd guess it to be a Syrian Latakia, very smooth & creamy tasting, strictly as condiments. It's sweet, stays lit, and is satisfying. As mostly a VA piper, I like the fact that the pallet isn't overpowered for a follow up bowl of a straight VA.

Key, it does well when allowed to dry in a ZipLok baggie for a couple weeks.

I like it best in bowls with 13/16-7/8" bore diameters. Thanks to Smoker's Haven for reviving this fine blend & to Germain.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (143)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a sample of this on a recent trip to Smoker's Haven in Columbus, and as their Our Best Blend is among my top 10 favorite tobaccos I thought I would give all of their proprietary blends a try. Select is touted as their lightest offering in the line.

Select Mixture was a bit of a let down for me, as I enjoy my English tobaccos to have more flavor than this provided. I was pleased with the base tobacco, as it was of very good stock, but Select just did not provide the taste I was looking for. I realize it is supposed to be light, but this is too light for me.

Recommended for those who enjoy EMP or Squadron Leader, as this has a similar level of both taste and quality.

I purchased this as I was looking for a good, warm weather English. I tried this in a short clay, to get the full taste. The Virginia is slightly sweet, yet toasty, the Latakia is present, but is a bit in the background. It smells more of Latakia than it tastes, which is what was intended. The Turkish adds just a hint of spice, which grows stronger towards the bottom of the bowl. It arrived a bit moist, and would probably benefit from drying. Go slowly at the end, as it gets a little bitey. I suspect drying would help this as well. It leaves a nice, natural, tobacco aftertaste. I don't believe the room note will win you any new friends. My only quibble is it is a bit pricey. But as I only smoke a bowl or two a week, eight ounces will last me a long while. Definitely a top quality blend.

Addendum: I let this stuff dry out a couple of days, and what a difference! Although not a heavy blend, this is surprisingly rich. The Smoker's Haven site hints this could be a morning smoke, but I couldn't imagine using this as a wake up blend. I find it a little too full. There are hints of unsweetened cocoa, fennel, and black walnut. It is still a little nippy at the end, but slow smoking will thwart tongue bite. This stuff is much better in a briar. It reminds me of a milder version of Black Mallory, which is one of my favorites.

Another fine all-day smoke!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Comes in a bulky large tin with a plastic bag inside. It is a bit moist, will benefit from some drying time before you pack your pipe. It smells very rich with the orientals prominent, there is a note similar to "And so to Bed" by the same blender. Visually it is a fine ribbon cut of mostly browns to dark with the golden Va ribbons here and there.

Packing and Lighting: once dried out a bit, easy. 3 lights typical.

Initial Flavor: "And so to Bed" light? This blend definitely has the Germain's signature flavor which I love.

Mid-Bowl:Aah! delicious! This is a perfect mid-strength English blend with the top note at the perfect level. "And so to Bed" gives me a whopper of a headache, this blend did not, even after several bowls in a row. None of the leaves stand out, everything is in perfect harmony.

Bottom of Bowl: A slight build up of strength and all you are left with is dry mottled ash. Which pipe shall I fill up next?

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. It will not overtake my favorite English blends, but will be in my rotation pretty regularly. As a side benefit, the room note is liked by some of my non-smoking friends. To me, this blend fits between Royal Jersey Latakia and King Charles Mixture by the same blenders. Very well done indeed!

It is Hi Time to visit my August tobacconist, will you join me in the pipeline?