The perfect IN-B-TWEEN tobacco, when, from the moment you jump out of bed and reach for your favorite briar til' you put it back on the rack and get ready to sleep. Bowlful after bowlful, IN-B-TWEEN will please you all day.

BrandSmoker's Haven
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Packaging8oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.6

Creamy and smooth as a mild to medium English blend can be. The Oriental/Turkish are lightly and playfully spicy, adding complexity to the smokey, woodsy flavor of the latakia. The rich brown Virginia is slightly sweet, tangy, and earthy with very mild hay notes, and acts as a cooling base for the other components. It's more of a shag cut than a ribbon, and burns exceptionally well without burning fast and hot as many thin cut tobaccos tend to do. A well made all day English smoke that won't bore you, and the room note won't chase most of the ladies away either.

The name of this blend is really a description of the blend and where it places verses Our Best Blend. In-B-Tween is a very good quality medium English blend. It lacks the richness (and Latakia) that OBB offers, but it is nicely balanced and could be an all-day smoke for most English smokers. I don't seem to be able to single out the sweetness that others have pointed out, but my review is based on two newer tins and it may be due to the “newness” of my tins. Due to the very thin ribbons, it should be packed with care to get the best results. I am eager to see what a couple of years in the cellar will do to this blend. It is also great news to see its return to the marketplace! All in all, IN-B-Tween gets a solid three and a half stars for my taste.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)

What a delight this In B Tween Mixture is. Reading the reviews I thought it was going to be a reincarnation of Dunhill Early Morning but its not. The leaf used here is much smoother and milder than anything Dunhill has now. While I love Dunhills EMP which was my first English blend this IBT is just more complex, doesn't irritate my sinuses one bit and the room note is much more pleasant according to my other half... DRY, that's what EMP is to me, like a dry wine, this is a light /medium English that is the opposite. The use of the condiment leafs as just that -condiments- is to my mind like using salt and pepper on a steak. You want to taste the steak but also add a little something to enhance that steak flavor. The bread like Virginia flavor is dominant and every now and then the toasted oriental flavor comes through, all while the finest Smokey Latakia flavor adds its saltiness and aroma. Simply delicious and I'm telling you, If you haven't tried a Germain blend yet you are missing out on what is IMHO the best blending house still left. Its definatly more expensive than its peers at $13.50 a tin but I only smoke one bowl of an English blend before bed each day so I don't mind paying for the best...

Pipe Used: Stanwell Winther, Charatan Pot

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: Smokers Haven

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

Having lived all of my life in the home of Smoker's Haven, I am partial to all of their imported English blends and am fortunate to have maintained a stock pile of them. In-B-Tween is a light English, perfect for a morning smoke or for a time when less strength and more sweetness is called for. It is cut in a fine ribbon and burns well. It has great balance. I've been smoking from a 2003 8oz. tin and it has enough Virginia in it to age nicely. A fine offering.

Age When Smoked: 2003

Purchased From: Smoker's Haven.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This is an excellent blend in a crowded field. Like Select, from the same blender, the shag cut is easy to keep lit and the tobaccos used are first rate. I prefer Select because it is unique in my opinion. Select is a light English with lots of flavor. It is the only one I've found. But IBT is excellent in it's own right, even though it hits the top of my English blend tolerance level. There are times, especially in the evening, when this is sublime.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)

Objective: This blend was fairly dry when I recieved it. Dark short ribbon cut and some smaller pieces. Seveeral relights needed.

Subjective: This blend bit slightly with only moderate puffing, but yielded a good amount of smoke and a nice flavor. A good medium blend, but left me wanting something stronger after two bowls. Very grateful for the gift, however I will not be making a purchase for future use.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Nothing bad at all with this blend. Ordered it once when Smoker's Haven was out of 'Our Best Blend" and was pleasantly surprised. I find it to be more friendly than OBB and consider it a great standby. No longer use OBB but will continue to buy this as long as it is available.

Recommend for newbies.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)

This blend is very comforting. There is a good harmony in this blend between the Virginia, Oriental, and Latakia. The aroma is mild and unassuming, but it smells very much like how it tastes (although the taste is relatively stronger).

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)

Just a short review of a fine ribbon cut VA/Oriental/Latakia.

This blend has a sweet VA base, with a healthy dose of an oriental leaf (not sure which one) and sprinkled with latakia. Burns sweet, with a nice creamy sweet spice, followed by a muted, smooth latakia. It's a medium bodied smoke, richer than a straight VA, a little light on the nicotene, but tasty & satisfying. The latakia is strictly a condiment, lightly sprinkled throughout the blend. It burns to a light fluffy ash.

My suggestion, dry it so it doesn't stick together when pinched in a wad as it arrives a bit moist. Best results are achieved during a relaxed draw.

will post more with additional time in the tin

9/15/08. This has been a consistently good smoke, one I now cellar. Long may this fine blend live.

Half-bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Half-bent (8)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Smoker's Haven, as it has been mentioned before, has their house blends made for them by Germain & Sons (maker of Esoterica blends, amongst other lines). As such, all the SH blends I've tried have been very well put together; they use high quality leaf (as far as I can tell), blend and age their leaf very well, and pay fine attention to detail.

Of the three standard english blends SH offers (and I'm not counting here their heavy hitting Krumble Kake, as it's a bit different, or Exotique, which is a classic Balkan, not english style blend) this is in the middle. Not as full and rich as Our Best Blend, not as wimpy as Select Mixture. I think it achieves a happy medium.

IBT is a medium english style blend with a stronger focus on the orientals than what I typically see in these blends. It's still very well balanced and no one component steals the spotlight from another. In this way it's similar to Dunhill's London Mixture. Though this lacks the mustyness I usually got from LM, IBT has a very briney smell and taste which I also appreciate. I think it often gets overlooked due to its marketing and name, but for those who don't need the latakia bomb which is OBB and KK (see above), IBT is a fine blend with lots of flavor.

Recommended for all smokers wanting a solid medium english blend, highly recommended for those who love the above with a solid oriental component.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a nice tobacco, it is just as it says and in between tobacco, not a lot of latakia or anything else. It is like a warm cu of soup on a cold day, I guess what I am trying to say it is the tobacco equivalent to comfort food. It is always the same mellow and cool smoke no matter which of my pipes I put it in and it never lets me down. I have on a few occasions used this tobacco as a base for my own blends, it works well with Cyprian latakia. I think this tobacco must consist of at least some Turkish tobacco. I prefer this tobacco in the morning but have smoked it latter in the day as well, but by late in the day I want somthing with more of a punch in the taste department. If like me you sometimes want a gentle smoke that makes you forget the troubles of the day this one might be your ticket to mild English tobaccos. It might also be a good way to break yourself of the habit of aromatics.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you've tried Smoker's Haven "Our Best Blend" then you will recognize In-B-Tween immediately; it has both a similar cut and tin aroma. This is correctly described on S-H own web-site as a lighter weight version of OBB and I find it a pleasant all-day smoke. Our Best Blend is one of my favorites but this is a fine smoke all on its own.

The tobacco is a moderately long, string-cut (which I prefer), the strands are mostly dark. The mixture is mostly VA with Syrian Latakia next in quantity and the Turkish filling out the blend. The flavor is mild and enjoyable, the aroma is slightly smoky and sweet and there is a bit of that Balkan tang which I love. I think I've found the perfect summer blend. 8-1/2 out of 10 stars.