Rich, flavorful, delicious, tasty, mellow. This tells the complete story on our all new Exotique Mixture. Only the finest grade of choice ribbon-cut Virginia leaf, the most flavorful Latakia, the most mellow of Turkish tobaccos carefully blended together to achieve this rich tasting Exotique Mixture.

BrandSmoker's Haven

3.4
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (95)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Yes boys and girls Exotique Mixture is back, for how long though is the question. Blended by Germain for SH this may just be the closest you will get to Penzance or Margate etc. Not because the blends are the same but the quality of tobacco's are the same. Exotique is briny, Smokey and slightly sweet. I find it interesting that I can smoke some aromatics when they are sopping wet but try to smoke the thin ribbons from SH and it simply will not burn. Shows you what they left out... the chemicals that assist in combustion. Seriously the best in blending, delightful Turkish, sweet Virginia's and Latakia. Its a giant sweet and sour Balkan that just begs to be smoked in an easy chair by the fire with a vintage tube radio playing FDR's fireside chats... Seriously tho guys this blend is getting very hard to obtain and Germain in general is exceedingly rare, try it out before its gone...

Pipe Used: Stanwell Brandy

Age When Smoked: Fresh from SH

Purchased From: Smokers Haven

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a thoughtfully blended tobacco. All of the tobaccos are in balance and work well together. The latakia is sweet and smokey yet subtle. Perhaps over all the taste is to subtle for my liking. I find this blend a bit mild, not quite as good as the Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary. There is no doubt however that the leaf is of the highest quality and I would recommend trying the smokers Haven blends to everyone.

Pipe Used: GBD

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Turkish and Orientals dominate this blend with a wonderful spicy flavor that gets stronger in the last third of the bowl. There's some sweetness from the Virginia along with a light earthiness, though the flavor is a little subdued. The latakia is smoky, woodsy, with a light sweetness, and though not a major player, it adds necessary strength, complimenting the other components very nicely. It has a rich, deep flavor and a nice nic-hit. This mixture burns cool, even, and rather slow for a thin ribbon cut, leaving no dottle. Leaves a very pleasant after taste and doesn't chase women out of the room. One of the best entrants in the field of English blends on the market.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

SH has another fine blend here. As with Select Mixture, this needs liberal dry time as it comes sopping wet in the tin.

The turkish is the star here. You won't find many blends that showcase the taste profile that this blend does. Latakia is subtle in the background but you know it is there. Each passing puff makes your palate want more. High quality and worth the few extra dollars!

I have been fortunate enough to smoke almost all of the Smoker's Haven tinned blends by Germain. As a group, IMHO they are some of the best “house” blends to reach the market. Exotique is my favorite of the bunch. The tin scent of Exotique Mixture is of deep, rich, Orientals and a proportionate amount of Latakia and Virginias in supporting roles. The thin ribbons require a bit of dry time, but then are easily packed. Due to the cut (which I love), it can be a little hot if you are not used to smoking very thin ribbons. The smoke is also rich, full and very smooth. There is a very slight sweetness to the blend too. Sadly, after many hopeful moments, it appears that these blends may be gone forever. If you enjoy Turkish/Oriental forward English blends, this one's worth the few extra shekels' to find a remaining tin. Highly Recommended.

Another sample from a friend, but this one was probably only an ounce. That makes sense, based on how rare this stuff is at the moment. I'm going to have to jump hard on the bandwagon so that I have a shot at some when this comes back!

My memory of Sobranie 759 is so hazy that I can't compare the two. But this one seems about perfect as a Balkan blend (based on whatever criteria people use for that designation). The taste was sweet, but not cavendish-sweet. The sweetness came from the latakia and the oriental. The oriental presence was immediately recognizable, and the latakia was a more minor player, but still in the game. The virginia lent its own brand of sweetness, which differed from the orientals. Nothing was out of place here and the blend was greater than the sum of its parts. Germain has done an excellent blending job here and Smokers Haven chose their blender well. Whereas Krumble Kake turned bitter on me, this one got a little sweeter and just a tad stronger as the bowl progressed. This was a sweet, smoky, leathery batch of goodness and the difference is like between a nice restaurants food and Grandma's. The restaurant does everything very well but something is missing, and that something makes all the difference. Complexity in a latakia blends? Look no further.

This is most certainly among the 5 best latakia blends I've ever smoked. Many latakia blends have incredible strengths but few have no faults that I could discern. This is one of those few. It's not that much different than a lot of latakia blends in its constituent tobaccos but the differences are significant. If you can get your hands on some, do so! My new reference blend in the Balkan category.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my favorite oriental-styled blend. It has very mild flavorings, so it is a very pure tobacco smoke, but the taste of the tobaccos in the blend is surprisingly full and well rounded. It is spicy and a bit oily tasting with a sensuous, almost herbal hint to it that also dominates the aroma of the blend.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

I received this along with six other sample packs from Smokers Haven. As with all the other samples this was extremely moist and required a lot of dry time. The ribbon cut IMO is simply the best for packing,lighting and staying lit. Exotique is an exceptionally rich blend. The bellows of smoke are intoxicating and the Latakia invades your nose at first light.The Virginia in this is well balanced and of good quality.The Turkish makes it's presence known but not obtrusively. This blend really borders on a Balkan but lacks the tartness. The price is steep at $5.50 an ounce and you only save a little when you buy the large can. Other then the issue of price,this is one of the best blends from Smokers Haven and is part of my daily rotation.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Yes, much better! This is another fine Germain blend with exotic touches. The Turkish really brings out the smoky, musky qualities. Again, if this were offered in smaller packages and the people running the shop were a bit more amenable to the public, they'd have a loyal fan. One of the things I definitely like about Smoker's Haven is their tin art. Fantastic! I love the designs they use, especially that 1950s prototypical man reclining in his favorite arm chair relaxing with his pipe. Exotique has that Arabian Nights calligraphy and Cognac has an almost Magritte like touch to it. I might purchase these tins one day for the artwork alone.

Three and a half of five stars -------------------------------------- 2007 - Revisiting this again at the Chicago PT a year later, it?s an excellent blend. Heavy, though not overpowering on the Orientals, it?s tempered by Germain brininess and a tangy, bittersweet flavor. Smoker?s Haven only had a sample tin available, as they are currently awaiting a new batch. I will be ordering this lovely tobacco when it is available. It's consistent, and in this sleight of hand world, I enjoy consistency.

Four of five stars

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Only want to add another "4", even though I opened a brand-new tin, having finally scored two little ones. I guess I must like orientals as much as latakia, because this O-forward Balkan puts me near to Pipe Nirvana, whether smoked in clay, meer, ANY briar, or cob. The rich sweet leather/campfire aroma will surely satisfy any Balkan smoker. One of the very best.

Pipe Used: All

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: SH

Similar Blends: Blue Mtn, Black House IMHO.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)

Just blew through one of the newest tins and I have to say that it is really a fantastic smoke. The highlight of this blend is the Turkish which has been added liberally and is the defining component. Clearly the base Virginias are the glue that holds everything together, but the Turkish provides such a delicious aroma and flavor! Just enough Latakia to hold one's interest for the Lat lover. Well done SH and Germain!!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

I have enjoyed several smokers haven tobaccos and surprisingly this one is one of my favorites. There is a striking resemblance to Balkan Sobranie 759 in this blend. I think that is a definite plus. This blend is very similar to the Smokers Haven our best blend, which is rarer than hens teeth anymore. The main difference between the two blends is this one is a bit more reserved on the Latakia front. The orientals shine a bit more here. That being said the only problem I have with this blend is that the very fine cut can make for a scorching hot smoke. Experienced smokers only.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)

I've always been a central Ohio native and have been familiar with Smoker's Haven the entire time. However, it hasn't been until the last year or so that I've tried this blend. I never thought that I would use terms such as "rich" and "creamy" to describe tobacco but those are some of the terms that came to mind as I smoked this blend. I've just finished my recent purchase and have to agree with most of the comments written in the previous reviews which actually drove me to make another purchase of this fine tobacco.

It has a wonderful Balkan aroma upon opening which happens to be close to its cousin, Our Best Blend. Where I feel these two blends differ is that Exotique concentrates more on the Turkish/Oriental tobaccos and less on the Latakia. It has the same richness in the aroma with a slight undertone of tea and less pungency of the latakia. As such, it smokes "sweeter" from the bowl. I always look forward to packing a pipe with this on a weekend morning. It just seems to be perfect for that time of day. No heavy tastes or the fear of being light-headed because of a nicotine overdose.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I love this blend. Smokers' Haven has been around Columbus since 1940 and I first smoked Exotique in college years ago. I loved it then and still do and don't feel that the taste has changed over the years.

I would classify it as a fairly sweet Balkan. The Latakia does not dominate, though, and the Orientals can come through nicely. I think it's a little stronger than an English so I classify it in the Balkan category but it is not so strong that I cannot smoke it all day-which I do frequently. A fine ribbon cut, Exotique burns to a dry white ash and is not hard to keep lit. Just a wonderful tobacco. If I could only smoke one blend, this would be it.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Very rich flavor, as the description notes. I enjoyed the sample, but Nightcap fills the "rich" niche for me, very good tobacco recommended to all who enjoy a deeply flavored and tasty smoke.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Smoker's Haven makes reference in their description that this is similar to Sobranie 759 and admittedly it is close, but not quite as satisfying as the original. It comes quite wet and with very long ribbons that I have to break down to be ready for me to smoke. It lights and burns to a light gray ash once it has been dried somewhat. Not overwhelming with the latakia, but a nice blend of latakia and orientals. This will likely be my standard Balkan.

Germain makes good stuff. My only quibbles with this blend are that it is pricey, and arrives pretty wet. Crack the tin open, stick it in your cellar and forget about it for a while. After it dries a bit, it is a very good Balkan. Fresh, it is a bit muddled, and is tough to light. Don't worry, the wait is worth it...

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I happened upon the Smokers' Haven web-site and immediately wanted to reacquaint myself with their proprietary blends. I remember receiving their catalog and happily ordering items while I served in the Army during the early Seventies. Our Best Blend, Exotique Mixture, Krumble Kake, Cognac Mixture and 20th Anniversary Mixture were some of the blends I remembered. After receiving my order I made sure Exotique was the first one I opened. Exotique is advertised [by Smokers' Haven] as the closest thing to Sobranie 759, though I can't remember ever smoking the original I had great hopes for this blend (I was not disappointed).

The mixture is ribbon cut, the tobacco mostly dark with some lighter leaf mixed in and the tin aroma is wonderful, fragrant, smoky and Balkan. Packing and lighting are simple affairs, the mix is slightly springy. The flavor is medium to full and evolves while smoking, first the Orientals are predominate then the VAs and back again with the Latakia adding depth and fullness; not too sweet or bitter but just right. Packed in my Imp Meer this is a delightful blend. If I were to have only two or three Tobaccos to choose from this would surely be one. 9-1/2 Stars out of 10.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

This is a fairly fine ribbon cut blend, with equal parts of light and dark leaf. The aroma is mostly Oriental, with some Latakia and Virginia background. It also comes rather moist, and feels slightly sticky. I suspect perhaps a touch too much PG, as the stuff is almost impossible to dry out.

It seems slower than average to light, but stays lit reasonable well. The flavor is decidedely Balkan, but not a heavy version. The Orientals are the Tenor star of the show, while latakia sings the Bass parts and Virginia sings Soprano and Mezzo.

This is truly a marvelous blend, marred only by the PG. I would probably rate it at the top of my rotation, if it were available in tins (without PG). Maybe that's why I regularly smoke very few bulk blends.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)

Smoker's Haven Exotique Mixture is a wonderful and delightful blend of Virginias, Orientals and a bit of Latakia. The fine cut ribbon leaf packs well and light easily, and burns well down to a fine grey ash. The taste is spicy and slight smoky with just a bit of natural sweetness. The leaf burns very evenly and the flavor builds and matures as you smoke down to the bottom of the bowl.

After reading the previous reviews for this blend, I think that most of the reviewers did not quite understand the genre this tobacco plays in. This is not a classic English tobacco in the Balkan style, but rather is more centered around the Turkish components. Compared to another favorite of mine, Dunhill's Durbar, the Exotique Mixture is sweeter and smokier, and the Oriental component is simpler and not as complex or layered.

I find that this is an ideal tobacco to accompany a good book. Great flavor, low maintenance, and the smoke stays interesting all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Pour yourself a dark ale (or better yet, a pint of bitter) and enjoy a good smoke.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This smoking mixture has a little of everything for all those interested in a mild English/Balkan blend. Pleasant and rich tasting from start to finish, both Latakias combine with the excellent Turkish leaf for a satisfying symphony of flavors on a stage provided by the light Virginia. The only thing I would suggest for improvement would be the use of a pressed and sliced cake instead of the ribbon cut. The key word to this blender's product is balance. No one leaf stands apart from the others but instead, all combine to make a pleasant smoking experience.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a CAO Bacchus

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

This is a very pleasant, easy tobacco on the milder end of the Balkan spectrum.

As has been noted, the moisture content right out of the tin is a little much, and if you're too impatient to dry it out before smoking, lighting can take several trys.

Good Turkish flavor dominates this blend, with the Virginias and Latakia vying for second place.

In the Balkan range, I prefer GLPease Odyssey or C&D's Star of the East, but they are both a bit too heavy to qualify for all-day smokes. Exotique Mixture, on the other hand, would fit the Balkan desires of early-morning or mid-day smokers very well.

stupergenius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stupergenius (2)

A really fine English blend, that some would call an Oriental, but it's all subjective really. :)

The very excellent Turkish tobacco takes control in Exotique over the Latakias, which are still there, adding an element of complexity and smokieness to the blend that would otherwise be sorely missed.

A really fine cut gives this blend an almost shag look, and dyring out is a good idea as well. The guys at Smokers Haven recommended that you let this sit for about three hours spread out on a piece of white paper, and "really watch the clock on this one", or else the essential elements will start to evaporate along with the moisture. After which the tobacco smokes much clearer and more defined.

Otherwise a very peppery, spicey and smokey blend from Smokers Haven that is destined to satisfy, wheather you are looking for an Oriental or an English.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)

I don't know why I waited so long to try this blend. This will be one that I'll always want to keep on-hand

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

I'll add that this is indeed an Oriental mixture because the Latakia is too far behind in presence to make this a Balkan to my tastes and it is not an English for the tertiary power of flue-cured leaf.

The Turkish leaf is unmistakably Germain's, reminding me much of Margate and Germain blends with a Turkish ingredients. The Oriental (including Latakia) leaf is delicious, refined and pleasant. It creates its own desire to smoke it.

My only complaint is that it comes exceedingly moist. The humidification must be reduced in order to light the blend within reason and so that the constituent tobaccos taste full and not muddled. This blend will only taste better when the overall moisture is put off.

I purchased the 8 oz. tin without regret.

04-21-2005

Appearance and Tin Aroma: medium cut ribbons with mostly dark brown and black. Smells deliciously pungent from the orientals.

Packing and Lighting: Fairly easy, some long ribbons give a fuss, but lights easily. Two matches max.

Initial Flavor: Delicious! Smooth from the get go. The orientals are in the forefront, latakia slightly behind. VA's are for support only.

Mid-Bowl: Delicious round sweet and sour flavors, no harshness at all, nor is it too bitter.

Bottom of Bowl: Builds some strength, but never overpowering. Nicotine is not overwhelming which is perfect for this wimp of a piper.

Overall: This is my favorite oriental blend, but alas, this is only a change of pace blend for me. I still prefer Balkan or Ennglish blends over this, but what a wonderful change of pace.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

The tobacco packs easily and burns well. The latakia offers it's presence but is not overbearing. The turkish tobacco in this blend mixes well with the virginia to make it a very pleasant smoking experience. While not quite as strong as some of Smoker's Haven blends, it is quite enjoyable and would probably make a good all day smoke for the latakia/turkish blend lover.