Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur flavored tobacco is a high quality, mild mixture, which combines a delicious blend of light aromatic Virginia and rich, cool smoking Burley tobaccos, to create an exquisite taste and aroma, enhanced with the sweetness of a fine cherry liqueur.

BrandBorkum Riff
1.2
Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (50)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Overwhelming

I bought this on a whim, knowing full well its bad reputation. Can a brand that has survived decades really be so bad? Yes it can.

There are probably low production cost issues that keep this sort of tobacco on shelves while esteemed brands disappear. Ribbon cut virginias predominate here, and these tobaccos, prior to casing, might well end up in cigarettes as well. Certainly this tobacco burns very hot and very fast. I would never risk a pipe trying it, but I have little doubt you could light up a bowl of this stuff, come back in 25 minutes and find it all burnt to a white ash.

So what is happening with this tobacco? Who smokes it and why? I think the answer is special occasion smokers and newcomers to the pipe. It stays lit by itself, pumps out a huge amount of cherry scented smoke to tell the world a pipe is alight, and is mercifully short. For the life of me I couldn't get a bowl to last longer than 30 minutes. I honestly believe the label tells no lies here. I think some nasty cherry liqueur HAS been sprayed abundantly on this tobacco, and the sugars and alcohol function as accelerants.

DaddyWarbucks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyWarbucks (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought this from a local discount tobacco shop (not my usual fine tobacconist), thinking it would be smokable. Ugh, that was clearly an unreasonable expectation. What I got was smokable, in a sense, but airy, ashy, cigarette-like tobacco with minimal flavor. I can't honestly say if it was all the tobacco's fault, because what I got was bone dry, golden colored tobacco without almost any noticeable casing, much less the gloopy red mess I've heard from others. Taste and strength are negligible, except for an extreme bite and ashy chemical smell. Room note seems like it'd be not too objectionable.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this from a local smoke shop; I was looking for the Cherry Cavendish. This one is very mild, the cherry liquer is there but is almost non-existant. Instead of sweet cherry you get a sour cherry-like flavor to it. The burley and virginia compliment each other in there own right but this is only one tiny step better than the whiskey blend they have.

If you can't find the cherry cavendish, keep looking. The smoke shop owner told me this would satisfy me until they recieve the cherry cavendish. LOL DOn't believe the hipe, keep looking or go for Captain Black Cherry if you just need a cherry flavor to carry you through.

Some people might like this blend, but it certainly is not for me. I bought the pouch 6-months ago and the pouch is still full!

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Couldn't help but notice all the failed ratings for Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur from fellow reviewers so I went out and bought a pouch as I am a fan of sweet cased aromatic varieties. Hate it when one of these gets ripped to shreds in the reviews.

But the critics are absolutely "spot on." Riff is an old, respected house and considered a premium blend among supermarket and drug store customers - but apparently some of their batches imported these days to the U.S. are simply sub par.

It kills me to say it about a sweet cased aromatic - but this tobac is simply dreadful. Reminds me of the moist concoction tobac derivatives used by hookah smokers.

Only way I could salvage any of it without tossing was to mix it with some Admiral's Choice Cherry Cavendish from the CVS Pharmacy. And then on about a 5 to 1 ratio so it gives you an idea of what is going down.

Emitted a totally bitter taste from light up to cool down, didn't stay lit, left a goopy after burn and after taste as well - all the pejorative qualities that make up one lousey smoke. I've got a pouch of BK Cherry Cavendish and I'll open that one soon and let you know. Astonishing and shocking. Rating: Thoroughly Unacceptable...

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

After a 20 year hiatus from this blend, I just, groan, endured a bowl of this junk. After half a bowl I gave up and lit a cigarette just to try to restore my palette.....didn't work!

While this stuff smells rather nice in the pouch, once lit in the bowl it stinks and as far as taste goes, I haven't a clue....it turned my tongue into leather from the very first puff. Burns very hot in the bowl and there's lots of gurgle in the bottom of the bowl.

I found this strong and offensive. The room note is what I consider just tolerable.

Getting the junk out of my bowl was a chore. It wanted to glue itself in there.

Now I remember why I used to mix this with Amphora Regular 20 years ago. I would have thought BR would have got this one right by now.

Believe me....STAY AWAY from this stuff!!!

Oct.3 2009 Update:

I've found a way to make this horrible stuff at least tolerable: Mix it 50/50 with Amphora Mellow (yes I know, what a terrible waste of Amphora Mellow) and let it air dry for a week. It will bite a lot less once all the volatile oils have evaporated and I actually found it improved the room aroma a wee bit. Sure, it burned a bit faster but no hotter....how could it get any hotter? Besides, short to tossing it in the bin, what better way to use up a costly, but crappy tobacco quickly!

mrvalentine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrvalentine (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

New to pipe smoking and this about turned me off to it. This is the worst crap I have ever smoked. I became ill feeling after putting this poison into my body. Do not make the same mistake and buy this crap.

Ursa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ursa (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have received a few pouches of this as gifts over the years, and it must be said that the blend has improved a bit over the decades that I've been familiar with it. Still, this is a mediocre blend at best.

Upon initially opening a new pouch, one is greeted with a powerful maraschino cherry aroma. I happen to love cherries, and find this an irresistible invitation to load up and fire away. Sadly, the smoking experience goes quite downhill from there.

Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur is very moist upon first opening, is not at all appealing from a visual standpoint, and feels not unlike cold spaghetti to the fingers as one loads up. It is a very difficult smoke to manage effectively. One must sip very slowly to avoid tongue bite, and this means frequent relights as the mixture just won't stay lit unless you constantly draw upon on it. Even when sipped cautiously, one will still find their pipe gurgling away by mid-bowl.

Flavor is another disappointment--weak and insipid, there just isn't much here. This is a very light burley mixture, and the primary flavor note is that of very mild Burley with additions of sweetness and a Merlot-like tang from the cherry casing. Acrid, ashy off-notes are also ever-present here. Note that I said Merlot, rather than cherry. The lack of genuine cherry notes here was another letdown.

On a positive note, the blend does present a pleasant cherry aroma to the nose and elicits positive reactions from those sharing the room. Truly, this is a blend that may well be enjoyed more by the bystander than by those smoking it.

All in all, this blend is generally not recommended. This was the first blend I ever purchased when getting into pipe smoking decades ago, and it was such a difficult and unrewarding exercise that I was left to wonder if pipe smoking was even worth the bother. Absolutely not recommended to the beginner, this may hold a few rewards for the experienced piper wishing for a very light blend that will likely please those around him.

munozdj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
munozdj (5)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess you get what you pay for. This was my first blend and, though I enjoyed it the first times, I can't imagine myself having it again after trying better matches for my aromatic cravings. Chemical taste, a lot of tongue-bite.

Harleykop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harleykop (3)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium Tolerable

I bought a sample pack of Borkum Riff. Cherry Liqueur is smokeable but barely. The chemical taste is obvious, the tongue bite almost painful. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

ericrdpilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ericrdpilot (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

This stuff is the worst tobacco I have ever smoked, bar none. A strong, overwhelming chemical taste; very acrid, just plain awful.

bumblebee84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumblebee84 (1)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Vile!!! its like smoking a cigarette inside a pipe, and watch out it burns HOT! I'm not gonna buy this crap never again

Very Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Isn't it illegal to sell poison without a permit? I actually smoked some of this when I started smoking, but I was 13 and didn't know better. Not long ago, a friend (?) had a pouch and I tried it. I'd have shot him if he didn't owe me money! Seriously, the only thing worse than this is Middleton's Cherry or their Apple.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I must have got an old dry packet as there was no goopy red mess. What little taste I can detect is actually a very pleasant nectarine/champagne like flavor. Nothing at all resembling cherry.

My local tobacconist in New Zealand tried to sell me this a while back and that pouch had a strong artificial-cherry-flavored-medicine aroma so I decided not to be extorted the US$40 a pouch of tobacco costs in NZ.

The Australian stuff is quite different, it has a very mild almost undetectable nectarine pouch aroma similar to the taste, which is why I decided to give it a whirl, as I love nectarines.

Another typical tasteless Borkum. If there was more flavoring it would not be that bad at all. It has slighlty more detecable flavor than Borkum original, Vanilla cavendish and Black cavendish so it gets two stars.

If you want a good "drug store" cherry, try the Borkum cherry cavendish (the crimson pouch), it is vastly better than this and actually tastes like real black cherries.

Alvis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alvis (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I bought this as a trial bag at a shop that sold bulk. I liked the aroma of it in the jar, so I got a sample. Big disappointment! This stuff is, how shall I put it, vile. It is like a stale cigar with nasty chemical sour cherry flavoring. It is only slightly less vile than Capt. Black Cherry cigarillos which are quite nasty themselves. I only smoked the rest of this stuff as I was out of tobacco and didn't have the time to get to my usual tobacco shop for some "good stuff." Don't bother with this stuff.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (26)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

In my locale, there are only 2 otc brands available: Captain Black and Borkum Riff. I tried nearly all the CBs and they actually weren't that bad. I figured I would try BR so I purchased this Cherry Liqueur and Bourbon Whiskey (reviewed separately). It was only after I had purchased these and a few other tobaccos that I started reading tobaccoreviews.com. Well here's my experience. Please pass it on, especially to newbies.

I read that it tastes like chemicals, burns the tongue easily, and leaves a bad room note. I think someone complained about it leaving a goop in the bowl after smoking it. I've read that it ghosts your pipe. To reduce the possibility of goop and bite I left it open in its pouch for 2 days. It was fairly dry when I smoked it. It started OK, but there was very little flavor. I had trouble keeping it lit. I think because of the frequent relights and the irresistable urge to puff harder to try to get some flavor, you end up getting tongue bite. So I let it cool about a minute between relights and I relaxed my puffing cadence. It bit much less. Now for me, there was never any cherry flavor, not even a scent in the pouch when it was first opened. What I tasted in the smoke was plastic. Very unpleasant. Some of the worst cigarettes I've smoked tasted better than this smoke. It left a stale aroma in the air afterwards, worse than the aforementioned cigarettes. At the very least it did not ghost my pipe, maybe cuz I only allowed the smoke to take 15 minutes. Lastly, although it was not cheap at $10, I couldn't force myself to consider smoking another bowl ever again. I tossed it in the garbage. The Bourbon Whiskey was only marginally better, but still bad. I can't recommend this tobacco when the other otc brand does it so much better.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

In the pouch, this stringy, fine-cut mixture has an authentic cherry liqueur scent, behind which some huskier tobacco scents can be detected.

A blend of cavendished bright VAs and burleys along with a significant portion of black cavendish, the flavor tilts to the darkly sweet end of the spectrum. And though sweet, it is not jarring, and the topping does not intrude.

Cavendish fans will find Cherry Liqueur to be contemplative and quite refined. This will ghost a briar and seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Over the last 40 years I have tried all the BR blends. Even the ones such as cognac blend and rum blend which are no longer available. IMHO, Of all the BR blends, the black cavendish and the cherry liqueur are the only ones that are bad. It's true none of them are top notch but they are better than most OTC blends.

As others have noted, cherry liqueur is syrupy and goopy and it does bite. Another BR blend, cherry cavendish, is often confused with the cherry liqueur blend. The cherry cavendish is ok.

ChrisD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChrisD (1)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

This was the second pouch I bought when I first started pipe smoking. I walked into the smoke shop and asked what he recommended, and was then told that "this one is popular".

Packed a bowl of goopy red tobacco into a new missouri meerschaum, and attempted to light it. Finally it did light, and then it bit my tounge.

I then threw the missouri meerschaum and the pouch into the trash. This was, and still is, the worst tobacco I have ever smoked.

Runewolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Runewolf (1)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I bought a pouch of this stuff a little while ago. I told the lady at the tobacco shop I wanted to try something different so she pointed this out to me and said a lot of her regulars buy it. The tobacco itself smells really nice. I've been told there is nothing really special about the room note by those who are around me when I smoke it...don't really get any compliments on the smell. It burns the mouth when you smoke it. I don't know if it's because it burns so hot or what, but to me it's starting to taste more and more like smoking burnt plastic. Has a really nasty chemical-like aftertaste to it. Won't be buying it again.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I don't remember this tobacco being as awful as majorly claimed by my fellow reviewers. But I didn't smoke a lot of it and threw it away after a week because the casing had dissipated and the tobacco tasted like air.

I smoked this a while ago, in my first couple years as a pipe smoker. I thought then that Captain Black was good tobacco.

But I didn't know better at that time...

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This "thing" cannot be identified as tobacco.

It bites terribly.

It deserves to be punished.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)

This blend seems to be in every tobacco shop and drug store in the country, that is the USA. I bought my first pouch in 1978 when I was a newbie pipe smoker. I thought at the time it was decent, smelling nice, like an aromatic should. The way it tastes and smells are quite different. Not a strong Cherry flavor, I think I was looking for tobacco that tasted like candy, this tasted well, like tobacco. It wound up in my sock drawer, and kept the socks smelling nice for many a year. I tried other Cherry tobaccos through out the years, and most of them taste like cough syrup, which has made me hate Cherry tobacco. Tried a new pouch of this stuff late last year for nostalgic purposes, it has become expensive ($6.50 opposed to 90 cents in the 70's), still has a nice room note but no flavor. It also bit my entire mouth, not just the tongue. People must like it because it's everywhere, maybe it is good for keeping sock drawers smelling nice, which is where my new pouch is.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Blecchh!!! I wish - oh, how I wish - it were possible to give a negative quantity of stars! Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur is a crime against humanity; it really is.

Having been invited to try it, I did so out of curiosity, knowing I probably wouldn't like it (because of the flavouring). Why review it then? you ask. Fair question, I suppose; but I wanted to try to be objective, and to broaden my education. What a mistake! God, this is horrible! Until last Friday, Craven Aromatic and Craven Ready Rubbed were jointly at the top of my list of tobaccos to be avoided. They've just been demoted to joint second by this filthy stuff. I wouldn't wish it on Dr Goebbels.

Isn't it amazing, how the tastes of human beings can differ! So many excellent tobaccos have disappeared over the years, yet wretched offerings like this continue to be produced – and, presumably, find a ready market. There must be people out there who buy this evil substance and smoke it for pleasure!

I know – I don't understand it, but I know – that some people like their tobacco to taste of cherries. Cherries don't taste like this, though. The flavouring reminds me of the very cheap soft drinks that one used to be able to buy as a child. "A delicious blend . . . cool smoking . . .". Don't believe it, people. I've sampled some pretty blasphemous tobaccos in my time, but seldom, if ever, anything as deplorable as this. Cherry Liqueur is hotter than Satan's chestnuts, tastes like second-hand sandals, smokes wet, and leaves a liquid in your pipe that you could probably develop film in. O Lord, it's bad! It also leaves behind a ghost that will wail at you for ever. Frightful. Absolutely abominable.

A positive point: governments wishing to discourage people from smoking could sponsor stuff like this. There's absolutely nothing else to be said for Cherry Liqueur. It's a horrible travesty; the kind of profanities that would best describe it are probably not allowed on this site. The ascetically minded might like to consider smoking it during Lent, as a penance.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have only been smoking a pipe for a few months at this point, but I know that this one is something to avoid. I bought a pouch of it from my local smoke shop, because the price was a few dollars higher than the other pouches beside it and I (VERY MISTAKENLY) mentally equated that with quality. I tried it in a pipe I wasn't overly fond of anyway, thankfully, because I don't ever want to taste that again. It tasted like someone was spraying my tongue with hot, wet, sour cherry pits. I feel I must emphasize the "sour cherry" part of this review, as that is the most terrible cherry taste I have ever experienced. I threw the pouch away at that point, I can't imagine wanting to try that ever again, and I sure don't want to torment my friends with that.

I hope I don't have to bury my pipe to get away from that awful memory.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

The local smoke store owner knows that I've been trying a lot of different things of late and did his best impression of a side show hawker to get me to buy a pouch of this. Though it had two strikes against it as far as I was concerned, (I've tried other Borkum Riff blends and didn't like any of them, and the fact that I've noticed that not a single pouch has been sold out of the display), I finally agreed and bought a pouch.

I have come to the conclusion that he clearly hates me. Either that or he is desperate to get rid of the stuff. I have always liked the smell of cherry in a pipe tobacco. I have yet to find one that doesn't taste like vomit.

First, this stuff bites. Not kidding. Secondly it actually made my cob gurgle. I've never had a tobacco that could make my cobs gurgle before. I'm glad I didn't try this in my good pipes. My wife claims that the room note isn't very good and she'd rather I didn't buy 'any of that carp' again. She doesn't have to worry.

I won't throw it away. There is always the chance I will run into someone born with no taste buds who might like it.

DrugStorePuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrugStorePuffer (6)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

"Be careful because it bites. OK, I didn't believe anyone on this one, so I had to try it myself. Do yourself a favor - DON'T DO IT! Why, oh why did I do this??? Dastardly, despicable and a downright abomination."

AWFULL!!! HORRIBLE!!! PLASTIC TASTING!!! "DON'T DO IT!!!" This stuff needs taken off the market...can you spell G R O S S???

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This blend, along with most cherry blends, seems to be a love or hate affair. I certainly don't love it, but I do use it as a mixer from time to time. It is dry as dust out of the pouch, but a little rehydration with distilled water will fix that. I rather like the cherry flavor, which tastes quite authentic to me. I find this blend to have a very satisfying nicotine level. It can bite a bit, but if properly hydrated it is no pit bull. I give it two stars based mostly on the fact that it has a strong nicotine content in a bystander friendly format. Give it a whirl, just don't expect too much.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad but nothing great either. A bit too dry. I'd smoke this again if I can't find anything else. Be careful because it bites.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, I didn't believe anyone on this one, so I had to try it myself.

Do yourself a favor - DON'T DO IT!

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Ok, if you like cherry flavoured tobacco pass on this one. It taste more like plastic then cherries. The only good thing is the room note, but not the taste. It has an ok tobacco base quality wise but the cherry casing is horrendous. It is not the best of the Borkum Riff line at all and I didn't finish the bag. Borkum Riff is known as a not so bad 'drug store' brand that I pick up now and then as a replacement to 'proper' tobaccos. It's cheap no matter what other flavour you try so it ranges in taste from 'cheap' to 'worthwhile'. Their other blends aren't bad but this on is not good at all unless you want to burn it as incense over a fire. Don't know if they use a natural casing or not but I've tasted many other cheap cherry blends that didn't go down so nastily. Sorry guys but your casing is made from recycled tyres or something.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (18)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Some years ago, this was in my opinion the best of the Borkum Riff offerings. I went back to it several weeks ago. After a ten year hiatus. It reminded me of that song "Good Morning Starshine" from the 60 or early 70s - "Gloopy,gloop,gloopy;gloppy glop,gloppy". I am so glad I did not waste it on my favorite pipe. Paper-thin strands of tobacco wannabe. It did light. I enjoy pipe smoking and I even enjoy the cleaning process.It was a wise decision to smoke this in a corn cob.I hate to see a good corn cob meet its end. It was either that or smoke it a beloved briar and end up calling the nearest HAZ-MAT team. This deserves one star

The Irish Apologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Irish Apologist (5)
Very Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Why, oh why did I do this???

One word sums up this noxious blend.....Eeeeeeeeeew

Mild Very Strong Full Pleasant

This blend is for people who want to smoke a pipe without knowing they are smoking tobacco.

It reminds me of how my wife drinks coffee: 3/4 a cup of cream or milk, 1/4 cup of coffee, 4 tsp. of sugar. Need I add she doesn't like coffee...?

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I started pipe smoking a few months ago and this was one of my first two blends that i purchased. The first time i smoked this blend, it was right out of the just opened pouch and it was horrible. It was acrid and bitter.

Well I just purchased a new pipe, dr grabow duke - bent, and the first thing i tried was a blend of Prince Albert and Captain Black Cherry that refused to light. So i dumped that out and filled my new pipe with Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur.

Well the pipe is misdrilled, the air channel from the bowl hits the middle of the filter. So basically i smoked it in an unfiltered pipe.

Well it was a wonderful smoke. It was generally very smooth and mild. The only tongue bite was at the charring light, initial and two relights.

I had a verry hard time detecting a roomnote, but the taste was wonderful. Not only did i get a good strong taste of chocolate (think high end Belgian chocolate) but it had a strong hint of cherry in the background, and i do NOT mean artificial cherry kool aid flavoring, i mean fresh, over ripe cherries you just picked from the garden.

Well I need to update my post on this tobacco. I am seeing that the packaging has changed so maybe the formula has been changed. At this moment I need to include the fact that the compounds produced by this tobacco stick to your pipe like fresh manure to your shoe treads. Very hard to get out, actually, i dont think i have gotten it out. and ive sanded the chamber down to bare wood twice now, and scrubbed it out with high proof alcohol many times. As well as smoking some extremely goopy products from tobacco galleria. OTher wise its a great tobacco.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Last few weeks I've had a cherry craving. Now I don't. In fact I don't think I ever will again. While not horrible this blend leaves one wanting something. What is that something? A bowl of something resembling tobacco thats what. Rev 1/1/05 Happy New Years

Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant

Dastardly, despicable and a downright abomination.

Shame on me. I knew better.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Tolerable

I don't think I fancy another shot of this liqueur, unless I'm in need of something to top off some kind of cyanide concoction. A goopy, stinky, cherry overdose, with what tastes like poor-quality leaf (insofar as the casing allows one to taste anything, ever again) to boot. Perfect for repenting sins, and giving to enemies as a Christmas present.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, Borkum has capitalized on yet another opportunity to follow a bad idea to its ultimate conclusion. The composition of tobaccos "a delicious blend of light aromatic Virginia and rich, cool smoking Burley tobaccos" could be anything, 'cause there is no room for tobacco flavor in this experience.

I had to try this on my quest for the ideal cherry blend, but had my already low expectations dashed after trying a bowl from a friend's pouch. I almost gave up before even trying as the sticky texture was horrid. About 1/2 a bowl was more than enough for me.

My recommendation: do not insult any pipe you respect with this blend.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I?m pretty tolerant of Borkum Riff, I?ve been generous in other reviews of their products but I have to draw the line on this one. Don?t believe a word in its description. This is not high quality nor is it a light aromatic blend. There is no exquisite taste and aroma with the sweetness of a fine cherry liqueur. This is sickly, sweet cherry liqueur that overwhelms any tobacco taste that might be present in the pouch. The flavor when smoking is so pronounced that you could be smoking anything but tobacco because you can?t taste or smell anything else. It might as well be shredded newspaper with cherry liqueur. If you have to smoke Borkum Riff cherry at least smoke the Cherry Cavendish but beware this blend unless you want to see just how bad a blend can be.