One of the most complicated and oldest blends. Two kinds of ribbon Virginias mixed with Black Cavendish and then accented with hand-spun Curly Cuts Very mild very smooth blend filled with unique tobacco flavors then enhanced with French cognac

BrandPeter Stokkebye
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCognac
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
2.4
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This old classic was always a favorite of mine. The spun discs of Virginia and Black Cavendish spritzed with a delicate touch of French Cognac made for a delightful smoke, particularly when sipped slowly. The leaf burned cool and dry right down to the bottom of the bowl. And unlike many blends with an alcohol essence, I could actually taste the top-shelf cognac in this one. As a staple or a change of pace, 1882 hits the spot.

Pipe Used: A variety of pipes in smaller sizes

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted to me from a friend

Similar Blends: What I would imagine Esoterica's Pembroke to be like without the Latakia..

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Maybe you have a fighting chance to taste some of the tobacco if it's dry, but the only reason to buy it is for the taste of French cognac which dominates the tobaccos. The Virginias provide a little grass and earth, and touch of dark fruit and citrus. The unsweetened black cavendish offers a little brow sugar. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns a little slow and needs to be sipped so you don't risk tongue bite or harshness as it will warm the inside of your mouth. The flavor is consistent, though fairly one dimensional. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Not quite an all day smoke.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Strong

After a couple of pulls of the briar, my wife bitched about this blend from the foyer next to my closed-door study. She hates it!

Failed the wife test.

The gurgling moisture made itself audibly known by the first 10% of the bowl contents. Not a good sign!

At this point, my tongue burned.

The taste of the tobacco is passable but not remarkable.

I've let this age about six months and still enjoyment of this bowl is eluding me.

Images evoked while smoking include a bleached femur atop a swarming anthill.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is good blend I like the aroma when I open it. The cuts of leaf are a little moist when fresh but once stuff gets aired out it gets better and better. I find that sipping on the pipe helps cause it has a little bit of a bite , or maybe I am just a newbie still. The room note is very pleasant to my wife and I also. The cognac does make the tobacco sweet and tasty,I find myself wanting to eat the smoke rather than puff it. The discs I call them flavor blasts ,mmmmmm. very good.

I am in the process of making friends with this blend. It has good stength without whacking you over the head with flavour. It tastes like a good Virginia blend with a splash of Cognac for flavor. If you don't know what Cognac tastes like or don't like tobaccos with spirits in them, avoid this blend. I have had this pouch for a few months and revisit it from time to time. I like it better each time. I give this three stars for now and will update in a few months if my impression changes.11/15/2004

Update: As the cognac flavor dissipates, the blend gets better. If you have a pouch of this and find the flavor too bold, let it air out a bit. I agree with another reviewer, I wish they made this blend without the cognac. Two stars when fresh, three stars after a year or so of age.