A smooth background of caramel combines with a deep rich coffee aroma to complement the rich black Cavendish tobacco

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringCaramel, Coffee
Strength
Strong
Taste
ScannerDarkly7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScannerDarkly7 (6)
Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant

This is an aromatic that delivers. What I mean by that is, the pouch aroma does come through in the smoke, if not exactly the same. Don't expect coffee, expect sweetness, expect the caramel. It's like smoking a dessert. The coffee may be in there, but it's too light for me to taste.

This tobacco is very moist, a very gooey aromatic. Be careful of the tobacco juice if you're not using a filter. I wouldn't recommend this in a large bowl, because it becomes quickly very sickly, as if you're smoking a bowl of sugar. I suppose that's what you're after, though. Take this one slow, as tasty as it is. I did get a little light headed once, puffing away on this like a demon, as the strength of the flavouring is very deceptive of the nicotine content, despite how mild it may be, it caught me out!

It's a tobacco that, once packed and puffed properly, will deliver and meet expectation for you sweettooths out there. I did not experience any bite, but it does burn quite hot. The cavendish quality itself is fantastic, giving this tobacco a pure black appearance, and you'll end up with slightly sticking fingers when packing. Fantastic room note. A perfect combination of the tobacco and flavouring delivers a full aromatic experience, and perhaps a little too overwhelming for some with the amount of sweetness here.

A highly recommended aromatic to anyone looking for something this sweet, for a more neutral audience, however, consider whether you want something so gooey and sweet to smoke.

Pipe Used: Butz Choqin Briar

Purchased From: Havana House Bear Shop, Cardiff Tobacconist

Bigbadbun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigbadbun (2)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have a confession to make. I have an exceedingly sweet tooth. And that is why I am invariably drawn to pipe tobacco with labels like Strawberry Sherbet or Sweet Coconut ?n? Rum. Or Coffee Caramel.

This syrupy black cavendish is sold loose in many UK tobacconists, including my local. It is exceedingly moist, to the point of actually being sticky to the touch, due to the very heavy caramel topping. It was allowed to dry in its pouch for about a fortnight, which went some way to helping the moisture levels (or at least eliminating the stickiness). The colour is almost exclusively black, with occasional dark brown flecks.

The pouch aroma is incredibly sweet. The scent of the caramel topping is extremely pungent, the coffee taking a back seat. The aroma is reminiscent of soft caramel chocolates. It is very appealing, but pervasive ? I can smell the pouch, which rests on the coffee table, from across the room.

The tobacco is easily packed into a small, cheap pipe I reserve for aromatics. Lighting is easy. However, keeping the pipe lit can be awkward (due, I think, to the moisture level) ? this was resolved with careful puffing.

Upon lighting the initial flavour was, unsurprisingly, sweet. However, the taste was more of lightly toasted sugar than the heavy caramel topping would?ve lead one to believe ? I expected sweetness, but was surprised to find that a sticky caramel taste (as per the pouch aroma) was not really evident and that any coffee flavouring was undetectable. The sheer forcefulness with which the topping has been applied lead me to give a high flavoring rating, even if it is not as overpowering in smoking as one might expect from the unsmoked aroma.

The sweetness soon fades to a mild, tobaccoey flavour. It is fairly bland, but the smoke is thick, creamy and plentiful and there is just enough taste to maintain one?s interest. The nicotine levels are low and hints of the sweet topping occasionally burst forth during the smoke. At this early stage the pipe required frequent relights.

Perhaps due to the lack of flavour, my technique went a little awry and I puffed too vigorously. This tobacco does not bite excessively, but will do so if provoked by over-eager puffing. As the bowl progressed it began to take on a slightly sour edge. The sweetness was still occasionally present, but its influence had waned. The sourness was not, to my mind, entirely unpleasant. In paying more attention, I also cured the relight problem. As the smoke went on a little more strength was apparent in the tobacco.

As I finished the bowl, all sweetness had gone, the weed was stronger and more bitter and there was a slight (and pleasant) tickle to the back of my throat. My pipe was a tad juicy in the final stages (but only a tad) and it smoked right down, leaving no dottle, just a small clump of dry, black-grey ash. The room note was of warm, sweet caramel ? true to the pouch aroma, but without being overpowering. It fades rapidly.

Do I like this tobacco? In some ways, no. It is powerfully cased, a little dull and some work for the net result. However, I can also see its merits. The topping is very appealing and, since it is not as brutal when smoked as when sniffed pre-combustion, you get a sweet, mild, fine-smelling smoke, which, for me, is why I might choose to smoke an aromatic tobacco in the first place. Would I recommend this tobacco? Yes, but the smoker must take it for what it is and not expect too much.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

ready rubbed jet black mixture. moist out of the pouch but not overly..packs well and could make use sime drying to get a perfect light however i lit directly and had few relights (not a tiersome tobacco at all). the casing is brilliant and i can taste the caramel and coffe by sipping on the pipe before and after lighting it! the strength is more than i usually encounter with aromatic but wont knock your socks off. the room note is sweet and acceptable to many. i guess gwaith and hogarth stand for its reputation one more time.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very moist , nice tin note , very sweet, almost a sickly sweet Carmel smell. Once in the pipe and lit , after a few attempts, there was very little taste of anything to be honest, flat, tasteless and very mild. One I won't be buying again.

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Without a doubt, my favourite pipe tobacco. As with snuff, I find the name of a tobacco is just that, so don't expect this to be particularly 'coffee' or 'caramel'. It is, however, a wonderfully easy smoke that leaves me satisfied. There is a sweet bitterness to the taste that I find most agreeable. I buy this stuff loose from my local tobacconist, the excellent 'West Cornwall Cigar Co.' in Penzance, Cornwall. And at the current price of £5.00 for 25g, I can't think of a better way to spend a fiver!! I smoke this stuff all day, everyday. Yum, yum...

Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Coffee Caramel . This seems to get a mixed response , so I was intrigued to try it myself , I really like it ! The unlit tobacco firstly.... so , upon opening it you are greeted by the sight of a totally jet Black Cavendish which is in a lovely/even consistency with a pleasing "sweet" aroma where the Caramel out weighs the Coffee and it looks good enough to eat ! It is very moist which may be off putting for some . Once lit I found it to be brilliant . The smoke (like the un-lit aroma) is more Caramel than Coffee but if you Retro-hale you will get some coffee . It is of a prodigious thickness and bestows no tongue bite on me ( but we all vary for that) and if you choose to inhale it causes no harshness on the throat . Nicotine level is about that of Mclintock Black Magic or Sam Gawith Black Forest . I feel that anyone who enjoys a good full Black Cavendish will adore this !

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As a lover of aromatics, I was amazed at how long it took me to discover this stuff. The first thing worth mentioning is that the tin note is, in my opinion, otherworldly. Mouthwatering aromas of treacle/caramel mask a more subtle coffee undertone, with a hearty Cavendish presence sitting as a backdrop.

Lighting isn't too much of an issue, and once it gets going it burns like a dream. Perhaps this product just suits my smoking style, but it burns evenly and smoothly throughout in my experience. Little tongue burn to speak of as well, which is always a plus.

The flakes are medium cut with the lovely dark appearance, the kind we have learned to expect from a quality base tobacco from G&W.

The room note is simply divine. As we know, some G&W aromatics can lose a little of their topping once burnt, and this one loses a touch of its coffee unfortunately. However, its caramel remains fairly prominent.

Overall, was very pleased with this and would highly recommend to lovers of aromatics in search of something new to try.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was reccomended this blend by a regular customer for whom we placed a special order. when it arrived I could not resist trying it myself to see what he was raving about. I was not disappointed.

Im not a huge fan of heavy Aromatics as a rule, prefering plain Virginia blends perhaps with some cavandish (black or otherwise)thrown in for a touch of sweetness.

This tobacco is very moist indeed in the hand and gives off dark syrupy notes of caramel and chocolate.

I found it had to be packed quite loose to get it to light which is always a problem with very moist blends.

However when lit it was a real treat burning very slowly and very cool. Keeping it lit was tricky but when got right it smouldered so slowly that 2 pipefulls burnt for an entire afternoon!

The taste was subtle creamy and slighlty bitter with a definate caramel flavour.The coffee was in my opinion a bit light but just about there as the pipe burnt to the middle. considering how much topping there is on this blend its not overly sweet and cloying.

The room note was again subtle and low-key, a fairly soft burnt chocolate smell.

Further experimentation lend me to blend it 3 parts with one of a light american virgina called Sparrow. In this form it is far easyer to light and keep lit, without detracting from the flavour. Furthermore this helps to eake out what is a fairly weighty blend, the moisture meaning you get slightly less for your money.

I like this Tobacco a lot and will smoke it again. The quality and smoking properties of a natural/traditional blend with all the taste of of a fine aromatic.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Same as cherry and vanilla, just a different flavour. The tobacco quality is the same, and as I said in my review for C & V an average aromatic that isn't bad in all fairness.

I mixed it with C & V and created quite a pleasant aromatic concoction.

Coffee, caramel, cherry and vanilla......Mmmmm!

It certainly turns a few heads...

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

An extremely dark, heavily cased weed that is not overly tacky in feel, this is a reasonable choice for lovers of the aromatic, albeit not quite as good as I'd primarily hoped.

The pouch is irresistibly sweet, with a well-pronounced coffee aroma riding shotgun next to a deliciously faithful caramel scent. It's a great one for exciting the senses and remarkably like stepping into the warmth of a Starbucks on a cold, winter's day.

Like many of the Gawith aromatics, it smokes a little wet and would probably benefit from some air time. Initially a sweet smoke, it becomes a tad bitter as the flavour comes through as you get past the topping. Unfortunately, the coffee/caramel doesn't extend much past the first few puffs and the smoke isn't quite as smooth as you might expect, which relegates this to a round 2 tobacco in my book, and not the 3 that it could perhaps have been.

Having said that, it's a nice enough morning smoke and one which stokes your coals, complementing your first coffee of the day and the newspaper.

pencils Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pencils (22)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you like an easy aromatic, this blend will give you a pleasant hour. Nice tasty, thick, creamy smoke - not so strong on the coffee flavour at times, although it is more noticeable when exhaled exclusively through the nose.

Bit moist and hard to keep lit all the way through the bowl, but not hard to relight and no bite whatsoever.

I am really enjoying this.

Greenwell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greenwell (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Coffee Caramel is an extremely rich smelling blend, it?s sold loose at my local tobacconist, and every time I open the jar my first though is to grab a spoon as the caramel smell puts me in mind of pudding. Yet while it has an aroma that makes mouths water the smoking properties leave much to be desired. The black Cavendish dominates the smoking experience; it also gives the tobacco a predominantly dark appearance. The tobacco is also very damp, a by-product of being heavily cased, very much in the American style. While this does not overly bother me, I know that others out there find it not such a favourable trait. I find drying it out for a while before smoking improves it, reducing the pipe gurgle, yet will not eliminate its tendency to become very bitter at the end of the bowl. If smoked slowly it never bites so this is one of its positive traits. Taste is quite good if you like heavy Cavendish blends, but I would not recommend it to a dedicated smoker of English blends.

A good friend of mine used to smoke this on a regular basis and it was through his experiments that I became familiar with the positive blending possibilities of this blend. Now I normally always blend it with another tobacco rather than smoking it straight, as on its own can become overpowering and monotonous (trust me it may not make much sense but it does). I would recommend playing around with mixing it with other blends yourself but suggest as a starting point to use 1 to 1 mixing ratios. I have found myself smoking it regularly of lately, as I smoke often in mixed company and people have become more vocal of late in expressing displeasure with blends that don?t smell so nice. This has forced me to leave the Latakia blends for long walks, when I?m on my own. In social situations Sunset Breeze or Classic Port are preferable in aroma but their high cost often means that this is a good substitute.

My subjective opinion is that this is a nice relaxing smoke that puts one in the mood to discuss weighty matters in the pub over a good pint of real ale, without offending the rest of the pubs patrons.

3 out of 5 overall.