The methods of the old tobacco blender, who, with the instinctive delight of a craftsman, abhorred and detested adulteration are incorporated into our newest addition to our tobacco family, 20th Anniversary Mixture. Refreshing and stimulating for the pipe, it is unsurpassed for its purity, mellowness, flavor and aroma.

The most matured Turkish, the most flavorful Latakia, carefully blended with select long cut Virginia tobacco; 20th Anniversary Mixture is a blend you will appreciate, your pipe will enjoy and your friends will comment on its wonderful aroma

BrandSmoker's Haven
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Packaging8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

I try not to review a blend until I have had time to get to know it in several different pipes over a period of time. Unfortunately I was only gifted a couple of bowls of this wonderful blend. Based on that, it's safe to say that this another high quality blend by Smokers Haven/Germain. A medium English blend with a light casing that I believe to be some type of spirit. Lightly sweet and smokey and just flat out delicious. It's a shame that Smoker's Haven blends have been unavailable for the past several years. I will be keeping an eye out for the rare tin. Highly Recommend.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

My all time favorite blend is Smokers' Haven "Our Best Blend"; this is similar in cut to OBB. It appears there are more lighter-colored strands present and it also has the additional aroma and flavor of what I think is an Ale topping. I find this blend is similar to Esoterica's "And So To Bed" which has in its mixture some Maryland along with the Virginias, Turkish and Latakia. All of Smokers' Haven and Esoterica's blends are manufactured by the estimable J.F. Germain & Son Company so there should be quite a similarity. The tin aroma is that of an English - Aromatic and the Latakia smells more Syrian than Cyprian. The Ale topping is more predominate in "20th Anniversary Mixture" than the Cognac is in Smokers' Haven "Cognac" mixture. The flavor at the start seems to be dominated by the Ale but half way down the bowl this fades and the other flavors of the mixture start to take over. The strength builds nicely and by the end of the bowl it seems quite potent, both in flavor and in Nicotine.

It's the heat of August and I'm about half-way through my open (8oz) tins of Smokers' Haven Cognac and 20th Anniversary Mixture. Something about the heat of the summer makes these two fine blends taste wonderful, the slightly aromatic qualities and aroma of each blend along with the slight sweetness in my newer Altinok Meers just seems to hit the spot for me. I'll upgrade my rating and will count on these two blends as my summer mixtures. 9 out of 10 stars.

MisterAnderson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterAnderson (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the first blends I tried that was not cased in something sweet. I suppose you could call it my first 'grown up' blend. Delicious and flavorful! I often use mints or gum after I have a pipe, but this pipe leaves me with the mouthfeel of a nice smokey Islay Scotch that I enjoy for a long while after I've finished. Kudos to the shop and the blender! Very enjoyable and one that I've given out to many aspiring pipe enthusiasts!

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

20th Anniversary is one of the Smoker's Haven's blend that are often overlooked, along with Select Mixture, Cognac, and In-N-Tween. The current version tastes very much like a Germain-made blend and seems similar to me to And So to Bed. It is a light English with a topping that does does not detract from the fine balance of the Virginias, Oriental and slight Latakia. It is a fine ribbon and smokes dry and cool. Worth a try.

Age When Smoked: 2003

Purchased From: Smoker's Haven

Similar Blends: And So to Bed.

I can't identify the alcohol topping, but though it tastes very good and mildly sweet and tangy, this blend really doesn't need it. The Orientals/Turkish are very noticeable and work perfectly with the ample amount of smokey, woodsy latakia. The Virginia may have some light sweetness, but it's sublimated by the topping. I do get a little earthiness from it, though. A exceptionally tasty English with an aromatic hit that prevents it from being as strong as the components would usually be. This, however, is not a complaint, but an observation. This is a well composed, thought out mixture that works well for an all day smoke, despite its inherent strength. Well worth the money for the enjoyment it will present you when you smoke it.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is another fine offering from smokers have. I love the smell of latakia in the tin. It also has some sweetness. The tobacco burns well and is absolutely maintenance free. The blend is also quite flavorful and has a delightful balance of Turkish and latakia. The VA tobaccos are somewhat sweet but more of an herby taste, and the latakia is leathery and smoky. What else could you ask for. Well other than the fact that it is always on back order (for good reason).

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

In the pouch this smells of smoky Latakia, so I had high hopes. Once lit it was an odd mixture. I could taste some sweetness, maybe Black Cav. or a light casing. It would make a very good transition for those who enjoy aromatics and would like to try an English blend that doesn' t taste bland. This tobacco has some real flavor to it, I could taste the Latakia throughout the entire bowl.

I will revisit this blend in warmer months, as I tend to enjoy a sweeter tobacco in the summertime. Recommended.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I recently recieved a sample of this from the fine folks at Smokers Haven. To my knowledge , I have never smoked a tobacco blend produced by J.F. Germain & Son. If they are all this pleasant, I should try more of them! This is a VERY smooth, relaxing and flavorful english blend. I have smoked many English blends in my time, and this one gets very close to top billing. The only thing I did not care for is the cut of the tobacco, very difficult to pack into the pipe. Other than that, top notch stuff. NO tonguebite, required few relights, very mild in the nicotine department ( Just my humble opinion ), and a non-offensive room note for those around you....this is the FIRST english blend my partner has not wrinkled his nose at! Give this one a try, I think you will be glad you did! Three out of four stars. Recommended!!

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This blend surprises me in that I do not understand why more people have not reviewed it. Cool and easy burning it delivers balanced flavor where the Virginia and Turkish leaf combine to produce a sweet musky taste that is present throughout the smoking experience. Predominately darker in appearance it serves notice of pleasures to come. The Syrian leaf serves to resonate the complexity of the other superior ingredients. There is very little trash so one is smoking high leaf content - a mark of the blender's craftsmanship. Tangy with soft references to campfire and leather, it should be smoked indoors for best effect. This blend could easily become an all day smoke for those so inclined. It is full of flavor without being overpowering. Whether to call it an English or Balkan is difficult as it captures the best essence of both. Smoker's Haven dates the tins which informed me that my tins already had a couple of years in the can. I believe this would be even better if it was a coarse cut and pressed. I feel that this blend would be most receptive to some cigar leaf mixed in. I recommend this fine blend with no reservations.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Canadian

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

I'm not an English expert by a long shot, but I am guessing this has (some) Syrian Latakia in it from the very strong and smokey pouch aroma and the slightly wine like taste. There is also some kind of flavoring (anise) added but it is very subtle. Or it could be a byproduct of the unique processing.

It is not as full in the Latakia department as Margate and not as complex, but it is a wonderful smoke. This is the kind of English mixture which blends all the elements into a cohesive whole and there is not much interplay of the various elements. Like a lot of Germain products, this has a certain unique taste which simply transports me to a rocky, windswept coast somewhere far away, much like a good single malt.

Old English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old English (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Received a sample from Smoker's Haven today. Sample was just about the right moisture. Aroma from the baggie was not as good as I was expecting (since Syrian latakia is present). Loaded a seasoned dunhill with a nice pack and proceeded with the char. Tobacco lit and burned very nicely without one relight necessary for the entire bowl. Initial flavor and smoke aroma was reminicent of Squadron Leader with the exception of a stronger sweetness from the Virginias. Midbowl the smoke obtained a nice smoothness that was relatively satisfying. Bottom of bowl was just as smooth and burned down to a fine white ash.

I started smoking pipes again recently and missed out on GL Pease's Syrian latakia blends. I wished I could have tried them so as to make a better comparison. I do have on hand however an 8 oz tin of Balkan Sobraine 759 aged about 10 years and have rationed a couple of bowl fulls recently. This tobac is not 759 nor close to Sullivan's "00" (my beloved blend), but IMHO it is better than SL. It does not have the complexity of Margate but it is an interesting smoke. Will update after a few more bowls.