The methods of the old tobacco blender, who, with the instinctive delight of a craftsman, abhorred and detested adulteration are incorporated into our newest addition to our tobacco family, 20th Anniversary Mixture. Refreshing and stimulating for the pipe, it is unsurpassed for its purity, mellowness, flavor and aroma.

The most matured Turkish, the most flavorful Latakia, carefully blended with select long cut Virginia tobacco; 20th Anniversary Mixture is a blend you will appreciate, your pipe will enjoy and your friends will comment on its wonderful aroma

BrandSmoker's Haven
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Manufactured ByJ.F. Germain & Son
Packaging2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.2

I can't identify the alcohol topping, but though it tastes very good and mildly sweet and tangy, this blend really doesn't need it. The Orientals/Turkish are very noticeable (lightly spicy sweet, fairly woody with a dry note) and work well with the ample amount of smokey, woody sweet Cyprian latakia. The Virginia has some light citrus, a bit of grass and a little earth as the base of the blend, but it, like the other tobaccos, is sublimated by the topping. It has an aromatic hit that prevents it from being as strong as the components would usually be. This, however, is not a complaint, but an observation. This is a well composed, thought out mixture that works well for an all day smoke, despite its inherent strength. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Needs few relights and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. No bite, and won't get harsh. Has a pleasant after taste. More of a two and a half star blend.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Full Tolerable

Another fantastic blend from one of my all time favourites J.F. Germain & Son, blended on Jersey Channel Isles UK then shipped to the US where it's tinned and labelled, tins akin to McClelland or C&D.

I popped the tin and my mirror home-office was full of smoky ale (cask with a slight topping), just great since I'm an avid homebrewer as well. I love the fine ribbon shag cuts because the blend always stays consistent in the tin delivering a balanced smoke with an even burn. Although one does have to be careful not to tamp too much while packing it can tighten-up quickly. A tad moist from a fresh tin, 10 minutes spread out on some paper does the trick otherwise it's a bit too steamy; however, I find most blends from the blending concern of J.F. Germain & Son do smoke better on the moist side compared to C&D for example. Too dry and this blend looses it's balance with the bitter notes becoming too dominant.

The taste is just great, Latakia in the background, Orientals up front, and the Virginias with a touch of sweetness for balance. This is expertly blended stuff and right up my alley. Certainly best to go slow in a relatively clean briar this is a rare blend at least to me as the retro-hale is almost the same as the palate, interesting and not many blends will do such a thing.

Highly recommended when it's available and even better when shared in good company.

I try not to review a blend until I have had time to get to know it in several different pipes over a period of time. Unfortunately I was only gifted a couple of bowls of this wonderful blend. Based on that, it's safe to say that this another high quality blend by Smokers Haven/Germain. A medium English blend with a light casing that I believe to be some type of spirit. Lightly sweet and smokey and just flat out delicious. It's a shame that Smoker's Haven blends have been unavailable for the past several years. I will be keeping an eye out for the rare tin. Highly Recommend.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stringy shag cut and mottled in color, this has a tin aroma of latakia, orientals and a generous topping of some kind of sweet alcohol - perhaps rum or cognac. The casing/topping rules the proceedings with respect to the tin nose.

I found this one odd. The casing lasted throughout the bowl, and not being one that enjoys a lot of non-tobacco flavorings in my tobacco, this proved problematic over the long haul. It started out fine and interesting as well as sweet and spicy, but the flavoring eventually became wearing. Literally the first puff to the last tasted like the alcohol mixed lightly with the three tobacco components. Drying this helped but too dry and it burned too quickly, courtesy of the shag cut. On the other hand, drying it did not reduce the flavoring as it usually does, which made me wonder if the taste I'm experiencing is more the merger of latakia with some specific orientals that I'm not accustomed to. Certainly such a phenomenon has fooled smokers in the past. However, Lakeland blends don't lose the flavoring when dried, either. So I'm not sure I ever got this one's full measure. As I said, it was an odd and consternating blend. I guess I enjoyed it to some degree but I can also say that I won't be buying any more. 2.5 stars rounded to 2.

Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I agree with Jiminks that this is about a 2.5 star blend, particularly to my tastes, so I am rounding it up to 3 because it is still a well done blend. This one is a little sour to my tastes probably as a result of the orientals used.

The blend seems to be dominated by both the Virginias and orientals with the lat present in a condimental sense. It lacks the creaminess that more latakia rich blends tend to have and is more tangy. The Virginia component is pretty sweet as should be expected as it is made by germain, who seems to age their vas extensively. Like all Germain blends it is a high quality product thus making it a recommended blend for those who enjoy the type of Balkan that this is.

For me, I enjoy more smoky and creaminess in these types of blends.

Similar Blends: And so to bed.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)

Smoker's Haven started in 1940 and this blend came out in 1960. That is the year I started smoking a pipe in earnest and by the early to mid sixties I was smoking this blend. At that time it was tinned by Sobranie Ltd. and it was a rock solid medium English. Somewhere around 1980 the J.F. Germaine Co. began making the blend. This iteration, although not totally the equivalent of the Sobranie version, was a very good tobacco with a finer cut. The current production tin I bought and opened was quite damp - too damp to smoke outright and required two days of airing out. When lit, it smoked with a high register and, due to it's very narrow ribbon cut, burned rather quickly and I found myself becoming somewhat bored after two or three bowls. So, its not a bad blend but I doubt I'll be hoarding the current version. However, I have enough confidence to recommend it and give it three stars. I still have in my possession a Sobranie era two ounce tin which we reviewers ought to get together somehow and smoke so that you can see what this blend was in the old days.

11/17/14 - I rarely alter my reviews on this site and have never done so to lower the rating of a blend I have reviewed...until now. I have continued to smoke this blend straight out of the tin and this is my current opinion of it - boring! I tried using it as an ingredient in microblending , but it just doesn't do much of anything when I do.

Pipe Used: Charatan Selected square dublin

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: Smoker's Haven at the 2014 NASPC show

Similar Blends: many other light English blends we have all smoked.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

20th Anniversary is one of the Smoker's Haven's blend that are often overlooked, along with Select Mixture, Cognac, and In-N-Tween. The current version tastes very much like a Germain-made blend and seems similar to me to And So to Bed. It is a light English with a topping that does does not detract from the fine balance of the Virginias, Oriental and slight Latakia. It is a fine ribbon and smokes dry and cool. Worth a try.

Age When Smoked: 2003

Purchased From: Smoker's Haven

Similar Blends: And So to Bed.

Pure and wonderful, 20th Anniversary is a natural tobacco with no additives and does present an ever so slight Lakeland effect with the Virginia leaf. Spicy Orientals and Latakia are major players as the palate is offered a sweet lullaby as the blend is smoked. I have recently been revisiting the Smoker's Haven blends and this is one of my favorites in the impressive lineup.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

In the pouch this smells of smoky Latakia, so I had high hopes. Once lit it was an odd mixture. I could taste some sweetness, maybe Black Cav. or a light casing. It would make a very good transition for those who enjoy aromatics and would like to try an English blend that doesn' t taste bland. This tobacco has some real flavor to it, I could taste the Latakia throughout the entire bowl.

I will revisit this blend in warmer months, as I tend to enjoy a sweeter tobacco in the summertime. Recommended.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (116)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

I'm not an English expert by a long shot, but I am guessing this has (some) Syrian Latakia in it from the very strong and smokey pouch aroma and the slightly wine like taste. There is also some kind of flavoring (anise) added but it is very subtle. Or it could be a byproduct of the unique processing.

It is not as full in the Latakia department as Margate and not as complex, but it is a wonderful smoke. This is the kind of English mixture which blends all the elements into a cohesive whole and there is not much interplay of the various elements. Like a lot of Germain products, this has a certain unique taste which simply transports me to a rocky, windswept coast somewhere far away, much like a good single malt.