Delightfully fragrant in the room, soft on the palate, this smooth blend has long-lasting good taste. Delicately maple flavored in a time-honored tradition for a smoke that's the talk of the town.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
FlavoringMaple
Strength
Taste

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This one will please those pipers who prefer a less pronounced artificial flavor in their aromatic smokes. This blend was well put together by a company that knows how to blend tobaccos. The Maple casing is delicate and the leaf has been processed to the point where there will be no bite or extreme heat. The tin smell and room note at the match are quite wonderful.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

McClelland's - Town Topic

I'm not sure what makes this "premium".  Perhaps its the price tag.  I'm inclined to describe it as closer to "generic" than "premium".  Its black cavendish with some golden mixed in.  Delicate is a good way to describe the maple flavoring (kind of a chocolatey maple) because its not very intense, so there's that if you dont care for powerfully flavored aromatics.  I feel there's some level of humectant (as to be expected) but the blend smokes surprisingly dry in regard to how moist it appears.  Didnt make the pipe gurgle, no goop.  So that's a plus also.  I guess I was hoping for a bit more than what this is, for what this tin costed.  This one seems comparable in quality to Sutliff's Maple Street, which to me is a tastier can of maple at a better price point.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Ah this is a tough one to review. I am not an expert on anything but as I have smoked just about every maple tobacco available I guess I can be considered a maple pipe tobacco expert... It's fall and that means maple tobacco time, picked up a tin dated 2015 so that's good (one never wants an old aromatic as they lose their potency). The topping is not as good as Autumn Evening, I suspect Aunt Jemimah vs Real Maple syrup in AE but you cannot compare the tobacco since AE is red Virginia Cavendish and TT is Black Cavendish with some yellow Virginia. Sweet, not goopy, smells wonderful, no nicotine and will not bite. Blend half Granger with half TT for a delightful maple Burley & Black blend!

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I moved to Concord, New Hampshire last year and was pleased to find a cigar shop that had a few pipe accessories and tobaccos. Your standard stuff; some house blends, most with heavy Cavendish, and a few cheap tins. But, sitting on a low shelf, absolutely covered in dust, I found a tin of Town Topic. I wasn't surprised in reading that it was a Maple - it's New England, after all, and Maple can be found to flavor just about anything (maple pecan ice cream in a few months!). So I bought it, and did enjoy it.

The smell in tin is great, as is the room note. My wife approves. The taste is a bit more relaxed, though the maple is definitely there, along with a smooth bit of Cavendish, but not too much. I only like Cavendish in small doses for a bit of sweet taste and coolness. It does burble in the bowl a bit if one smokes too quickly. All in all a solid aromatic, good especially for cooler weather.

Purchased From: Castro's Cigar Shop

The Specifist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Specifist (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Favorite aromatic so far. Natural-tasting maple casing with real vanilla subnotes, which makes all the difference as compared to artificial-tasting flavorings. In my opinion, the success of an aromatic depends on just the right flavor in just the right amount laid onto just the right complementary tobacco. McClelland got this one right.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I recommend this only compared to other aromatics. The maple flavor was very pleasant (fitting for me living in NH). My wife loved the room note which helps. I would put this above my other aromatics in CB Gold or White.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend suits me better than C&D Autumn Evening. It smokes much cooler, and the maple flavor stays through til the end. It may smoke somewhat wet if smoked hard or not dried a bit.

The wife loves it, so that makes it even better. If you are looking for an all day aromatic that will please the crowd and your palate, this is the one.

4 out of 5 stars for Town Topic!

Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a so-so tasting aromatic in the typical American fashion of mostly cavendish-processed burley. The tin says "delicately flavored" and that is certainly true. I did get a faint taste of the advertised maple, with a much more pronounced room aroma. I dried this out for 15 mins prior to smoking and it performed better this way than fresh from the tin. I did not find this to be an overly gooey product, although it felt that way on the fingers when I loaded the pipe. One of my subjective judgment factors for aromatics is how much moisture they produce. Thankfully, this one smoked fairly dry.

I don't find this one to be the equal of McClellands Tastemaster or Easy Street in their Premium Aromatics line. The tin aroma was more overblown in this one and the flavor was too faint. I was grateful that I didn't find the medicinal quality of flavor in TT as I did in their Holiday Spirit. This is not for me but if you enjoy a very sparingly flavored maple cavendish blend that stimulates those around you more than yourself, this would be one place to start.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What do they think they are doing? This is simply a one notch upscale in generic cavendish with a premium price attached. I expect a lot more from these people in the realm of aromatics than "Captain Black-like products." They are rooted in the taditions of English and Scottish tobacco houses, they should be developing aromatic products along the lines of the ones from the Gawith firms and the like when marketing and charging a premium price. For me on most occasions it is not about the price. A base of that awful green river black cavendish, which tastes like a sweet, burnt marshmellow in base flavor, with a much lesser amount of sweetend viginias that seem to be rough-cut. On top of that the added sweet flavoring that is barely detectable as maple. What can I say but...Blahhhh!

- Not recommended

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Let there be no doubt as to how Town Topic is made. Gnomes that work for McClelland wake up early every morning and sneak into your kitchen. When you are not looking, they steal your fresh pancakes and maple syrup. Then when the sun is at its apex they incant the magical words that turn your breakfast into pipe tobacco. At least that is what I got when I smelled Town Topic the first time. There is really no guessing what the sticky topping is... just pure brown-sugar maple.

Like many aromatics, the flavor of the smoke is much more subdued than the unsmoked leaf, so don't think you will taste those pancakes you smelled earlier! You will however, get a nice mild easy smoker with a light caramel/sugar hint.

It was quite nice, and I have to say all the McClellands I've had so far really make the grade.

Andersson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andersson (14)

​Sweet, smoked, heavy on aroma and tongue biting. Despite all flaws, sometimes it's delightful, but not for long. I can recommend it to only a true aromatics lovers.

Pipe Used: Dunhill County

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

When you open the tin your assaulted with a sublime maple scent. The tobacco is moist but lights well and stay lit. A very mild unassuming smoke. It won't bite even if you huff and puff. However, if you do that you'll miss out on the very subtle maple flavor. The room note is the best aspect of this blend. Reminds me of Sunday pancakes. If your looking for a mild smoke then this blend is for you.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)

Very nice aromatic with a nice maple flavor. Mild aromatic with a nice mild smoke and room note. I'm giving it 3 stars, because I prefer chocolate or Vanilla aromatics over over maple ones. But, if you prefer maple, this is a good one. Mom will like the room note, too.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell Billiard.

Similar Blends: Tastemaster is chocolate. Town Topic is maple. Choose your flavor of dessert..

Bdub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bdub (4)

I would suggest, if you like aromatics, to try this tobacco. I found that I enjoy the vanilla flavor in aromatics more than the maple. This blend is maple but I found it pleasant and probably would've given it a higher rating if it were easier to keep lit and wasn't so goopy.

========UPDATE========

Since having this tobacco in the tin for a while, the goopy-ness went away almost completely and the lighting became easier as it aged.

plexibass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plexibass (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first tobacco I ever smoked. I LOVE IT! I am not that into aromatics either. As I gained more pipes and tobaccos, I moved away from any aromatics....except this one. My advice, buy a 50g tin of this and mix it with about half as much LATAKIA [or whatever you feel you can handle] and let it sit for about 2 months. The resulting blend will be a hearty smokey BBQ type flavor that wont disappoint!

Good right out of the tin also. The only aromatic I still keep in my cellar!

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought a tin of this as I stopped in a local tobacconist in Las Vegas to get a few CAO cigars. It's a pretty good blend. The maple flavor comes out well and the Burley brings a bit of nuttiness to the smoke that well compliments the maple casing. It burns nice and smooth, very evenly. Doesn't burn hot or give tongue bite. Definitely worth checking out if you're into aros.

I don't have a lot of experience with McClelland aromatics as this only the second one I have smoked. Town Topic is a solid, straight forward blend with no bite and best of all, no chemical taste. The maple flavor extends somewhat over to the sweet smoke. One of the things I really don't like about McClelland blends is the heavy dose of PG that is often used. I don't know if this blend actually has less of it, but I was able to dry it fairly quickly. As tinned maple blends go, you can't go wrong with TT. I personally prefer Vermont Maple Cavendish from Pipeworks & Wilke as it's made with pure VT maple syrup and is sold in bulk. Recommended

partagas83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
partagas83 (2)

Not so bad, not so good... I was disapointed by this tobacco. After a very good surprise with ''Mellow Mack'' from McClelland, i tryed ''town topic'' and will not buy it again.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)

Really smooth and enjoyable. I especially like the fact that others who share my life like the smell, that's a tall order!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

Smooth, mild and softly sweet. Not a bite in the bowl. Unmistakable Maple aroma. Smoked clean and dry to the bottom of the bowl. In my mind, a true benchmark for mild aromatics. Are we sure that Carol at P&W did'nt create this ?

This blend delivers what the tin claims. It always shocks me when I read a review that is critical of a blend for delivering what the tin note says it will deliver. To me, if a blend delivers what the tin says, well hell, thats 4 stars! Nuff said.

In my opinion, compared to McClelland's Tastemaster, Town Topic is an improvement. Didn't have any problem with moisture or packing. Much easier to keep lit than Tastemaster. No chemical taste to speak of. Not quite as sickeningly sweet, either. Room note is commented on favorably - my son walked in and said, "It smells like pancakes." However, I can not smell nor taste the maple flavoring. It was very evident upon opening the tin, along with a beautiful appearance, but there it stops. As with Tastemaster, if it wasn't written in the description, I wouldn't have guessed it was Maple.

Although there was ample sweetness present (sugary and not maple), there was also a slight bitterness that presented itself at mid bowl and remained throughout (granted that it was smoked fresh from the tin) and left me with mild agita, but never any moisture in the bowl. I smoked it in a medium-sized billiard Meer. No tongue bite, but for me, not much in the way of real tobacco flavor. If you want tobacco flavor as well as the taste of the aromatic casing, try Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut (see my review for it on this site).

All in all a somewhat pleasurable diversion from headier blends, but not a daily one for my tastes. It's too much like the typical aromatic. I'd rather have smoked the high class tobacco McClelland claims to have used for this one without the casing - I'm sure it would have been better. A notch above Tastemaster so I'll rate it 2.5 stars out of 3.

ADDENDUM to my original review on 1-23-09: I left the tin opened overnight. I smoked it today in another Meer, and also in a Ropp Cherrywood pipe. No bitterness but the agita was there again. Still not much in the way of tobacco taste, but I actually tasted the Maple which was quite pleasant and still didn't become sickeningly sweet. Although I still prefer Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut over this one because I can still taste the fine tobacco along with the vanilla, I'm changing my rating to "recommended" and giving it 3 out of 4 stars. Won't become an every day smoke for me, however.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Much better than the two stars I have handed out, so it earns a three. The tin aroma defiantly says maple to me, just like the label mentions. When smoking it, however, the maple isn't so pronounced as you would expect. Without being an expert at describing the flavor in depth, I would say it was ok but lacked pizzazz.

10-22-2004 The quest continues!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Typical dark to light brown cavendish in a medium ribbon cut. Smells wonderful, pancakes anyone?

Packing and Lighting: Despite the casing, packed and lit well, just a couple of relights and then burned to the bottom with no fuss.

Initial Flavor: Well, this is where it lost me. The cavendish in this blend tasted green to me, could not shake it! The maple cannot be tasted too well, but it sure could be smelled by those around you.

Midbowl: Same, the cavendish still tasted green.

Bottom of bowl: Some improvement in the taste of the cavendish, the bottom of the bowl was cosiderably dry for an aromatic.

Overall: When I look for an aromatic, I prefer one that is sweet (like P&S Premium or Peterson's Luxury). This one was not sweet in spite of the maple casing. The cavendish in this blend did not go well with my tastebuds. Also, this blend was a little hot on the tongue. Pros: the room note was wonderful and the odor on your person and clothes after smoking was pleasing, even to my family.

Rating: 2 out of 5 points

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)

Town Topic will be the the talk of the town! I just tried my sample of this Monday nite, and It was a very nice smoke. Its mild and burns cool and smooth. Has a nice roomnote and has a nice maple aroma. Town Topic will be a staple in my stock. Peace! M.O.Z.Z.M.A.N.N