"When a feller needs a friend"

BrandHouse of Windsor

2.3
Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I bought a 2oz tin of this stuff a couple years ago. I really wanted to like this blend as its been around a long time. after opening I was disapointed with the aroma. It smelled like dried saliva/spit (sorry thats the only way to describe it) It was extreemly dry. It almost reminded me of clumpy GrapeNuts cereal. I loaded up a very old Dr.Grabow and began my very boring smoke. I had a hard time detecting any flavor at all, other than a weak flat flavor of...um...smoke. It did burn well, a little on the quick side. Tongue bite shouldnt be a problem either, if smoked at a reasonable pace. I know that one star seems harsh, and Im well aware that many many people love this blend,but there just isnt anything here. I will stick this away in the closet, and try again someday...perhaps that will help. its not as if it could get any drier.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

If you have read the preceding reviews, you need little more information from me. Briggs smokes quite cooly for a blend that burns so fast, has a light natural taste, and leaves me with that burn in the back of my throat I get from some Burleys. In the same line, I much prefer Union Leader and Barking Dog. Union Leader is terrific, by the way.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Try to imagine a vacumn a big ol space of nothing. Ok now make a tobacco blend out this concept of nothing... yep that sums up Briggs for me. I smoked three quaters of the tub and finally put it in my compost pile. Well even House of Windsor can't hit every one of em out of the park.

Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

When a "Feller" has friends like this, who needs enemies?!! Seriously this stuff was retired for a reason. It is a very boring tobacco with little taste that makes the room smell like stale cigarettes. HOW has done a marvelous job of reintroducing the old classics, but I'm afraid this sucker should have been left in its grave.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Eh. I know we are not supposed to make comments about other reviews, but Pipestud got it right when he said cardboard. I wanted to like Briggs (sort of a nostaligia kind of thing), but it was pretty marginal. Not "bad" . . . just too plain. Cubed Burley with a very light topping. Not enough there for me.

The bourbon topping is mild, but noticeable. The burley is rather plain, and the Virginia isn't very sweet, rather hay and grassy, and altogether boring. It burns well, but so do a lot of other blends, and this one can give a little tongue bite because it does tend to burn hot. It's not a bad blend, it's just an unsatisfying one. Frankly, Sutliff's take on this in their Private Stock series is a much better, little bolder and flavorful. Don't mourn the loss of this mixture. Buy Sutliff's BRG blend instead. It's a much better tobacco and you can even taste the burley in that one. Same goes for their Briggs Match, which is available from Pipes&Cigars.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Rather drab. I mixed it with other non-favs to make a tolerable blend.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)

I like Balkan, Burley, and Boswell's. "When a Fella Needs a Friend," come on, who could pass that up? Found a tin in a local pipe shop two years ago and put it into the cellar. After this summer of no rain and 112 degrees for 3 months straight the first cool front blew through and I fired up a bowl. I neeeded a good friend. My angel of a wife said it smelled pleasant but that's about all the good I can say for me personally. I gave it two stars because it is a good beginner smoke but PA and Boswell's Best Burley leaves this in the dust. I do love the tin and the art on the label. I think I'll load the tin with Spillman's and pretend. (It does pack well, burn great and leave a good clean ash.)

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (11)

I smoked a pipeful of this today infact. Of the HOW blends, this is one of my favorites, as far as the nostalgic blends of yesteryear, I really like this one. Nothing too anything about it, just a nice unassuming natural tobacco taste, if you can find it, give it a try.

Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Having quite a bit of success with HOW blends in the past (Union Leader, Mapleton, Revelation, Country Doctor), I was pleased to find a 2 oz tin of this and eager to get into it. The best laid plans....

Very flat and anemic tasting blend of golden virginia and burley. This possessed a very musty odor in the tin that perfectly translated to the taste, and the blend fared miserably as a result. The flavor was mostly of old rubber mixed with uncooked lima beans. The good news is that the flavor was extremely mild, bordering on simple hot air. I managed to smoke 3 bowls of this before giving it away. The good news with this one is the exceptional room note. Very clean, not too sweet and refreshing. I certainly wouldn't mind being around someone who smoked this one, as long as I didn't have to smoke it myself.

One star blend, but as it's not nearly as foul as other one star blends, such as Mixture #79. In the realm of my one star blends, this is a 1.3 and #79 is a solid 0.6... just to provide a frame of reference. This one is best left in the halls of memory.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke Briggs, but recall that rarely did I ever finish a full bowl. I would put the pipe down and smoke it at a later time. Revisiting this long gone mixture, I conclude, what did I ever see in it? If possible, I would rate Briggs at Half-of-One Star. The Burley base goes sour, and the Virginia leaves blisters in my mouth. I need to touch the bowl with the flame, and as soon as the pipe goes "Smoke On", remove the lighting source and sip the tobacco smoke via its whisp. Multiple lightings required. The room note is okay, exactly what one would expect from a Burley and Virginia product. The flavor is immediately ashpot and goes sour, then bitter. I've smoked cheap cigars that had more class. But in the pipe smoking world, with reluctance, I would barely opt for Briggs if only nothing else were available and not really recommend it. The bizarre thing, is that years ago I had a yellow Lab who was more like a son than a dog; no leash required. In the surf he swam like Johnny Weissmuller. Every time I smoked Briggs, he would fall asleep, at my foot. I think I smoked this tobacco, more because I loved that dog, and he seemed to like the aroma, or something. He lived to be 14 years old, and when he passed, that was when I stopped smoking this pipe tobacco.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A rich but mellow burley blend, smometimes there is a hint of a sweet flavour, but mostly all I taste is somewhat like bourbon.

My wife says it smells somewaht strong, but not too bad, I enjoy this blend and it's one of my staples when I can find it.

sobejon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sobejon (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Its a shame that the House Of Windsor operation has closed down, as for sentimental reasons i would have loved to still have Briggs in production...

Briggs is a burley lover's delight. A rich burley flavor with tones of a light VA with hints of apple and bourbon. I have had several different cans of Briggs (all made by HoW, of course) and since they're from different ages they are all a little different looking and smoking, but the taste stays pretty constant. I have one can that I got recently that seemed a bit dry. for Christmas this year my wonderful wife found me one of those old Briggs wooden barrels that have the clay (?) insert in the lid to maintain moisture in the barrel. I put the drier Briggs in the barrel today and i will update how this little experiment turns out later.

If you're a fan of Burley Blends then Briggs is a good one to try. Otherwise, this old time blend may not be your cup of tea

Just a side note here :All brands that were made by House of Windsor were picked up by a Panamanian company called Durfort Holdings: Argosy Black, Field & Stream, Revelation, Country Doctor, Union Leader, & Bourbon Street. I believe it is the intent of the Panamanian company to continue making the previously listed items, But I have no information on all the other HoW Blends and recipes that this holding company now owns, which unfortunately includes Briggs and Model

Dr. Sweetsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Sweetsmoke (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Ah....old Briggs. I remember the days when the old guys would head down to the local Soda Fountain and pick up a fresh tin of Briggs, The Prince, or Tuxedo. These blends reflect a grand time in Americana, when pipe smoking was the norm amongst men, and "when a feller needed a friend" he got his hands on some Briggs! Well, I recently had to pay my respects,in a Norman Rockwell kind of way, to this old tried and true. It had been years since I packed a bowl of this. Intitially, the blend is decent, lights easily, has an alright room note, and a slightly sweet taste. However, the older I get, the more I realize why so few a gents smoke these classic drugstore blends these days. There are just too many other better options out there. I don't regret my trip down memory lane, heck I even did some pre-smoke prep. and broke out the old straight razor, got a clean shave, splashed some Clubman aftershave on, and put on a sweater vest and my old Gentleman's hat - just to fit the part. But in the future, "when this feller needs a friend", I think I will dip my fingers back into my fresh tin of Mac Baron's "Chocolate Honey". Nothing like a tickle to the old sweet tooth. If you happen to be reading this and are into drug store blends, well more power to you. To each their own.....I'm just glad I'm not too short on friends these days. Happy Smoking.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma of this beautifully fabricated mixture of cube and flakey chunks is of a sweetly vegetal tobacco scent topped with something vaguely seedy: perhaps coriander or fennel.

This blend falls on the light end of the spectrum: a gently sweetened mixture of light burleys and gold VAs with a touch of dark cavendish for variance. The brightly sweet, gold VA takes the lead with the burleys quietly adding background huskiness. The sweetener smoothes any edges while the evanescent topping is virtually transparent.

Another thoughtfully and scrupulously produced House of Windsor triumph, Briggs epitomizes the best tradition of burley/bright american mixtures. It is phenomenally suited to the all-day puffer seeking elegantly flavorsome and austere simplicity. This seemed best in a narrow gauge chamber.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Don't believe the hype: Briggs is an excellent burley blend. It is also one of the HOW's best pipe tobaccos. A big seller between the 1930s and 1950s, Briggs was famous for both its slogan ("When a Feller Needs a Friend") and its boast of aging for four years in "oaken casks--extra long for extra flavor." If you like burley, you'll love Briggs.

One reviewer here compares it to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. This is an apt comparison, but I find Briggs a more satisfying and flavorful smoke overall. Both share a largely burley composition, with a dash of Virginia white flake added. Briggs has a slightly sweeter taste, and the tobacco used herein is unassailable in its quality. I find it ideal as an all-day companion: cool-smoking, mild, and delicious.

If you are interested in exploring the pleasures of burley tobacco, and looking for something more than the bitter dreck of Prince Albert or Carter Hall, then Briggs is a superb place to start. Three stars for this oft-overlooked American classic.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Being light as air can have its own flair;

Possessing finesse, a grace, "there" but in no particular place.

Coming to flavor and taste, and Briggs is such a case,

Briggs might be too ethereal to fling far enough from your lair.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If this is how true American, pardon my French, blue-collar tobacco should taste like, well then; Hats off! This is a nice Burley blend with a certain pine-like aroma to it; It actually tastes like fresh harpic when lit. Nutty, fresh and mild.

As opposed to Union Leader and Country Doctor, this one will not burn the tongue, which is good. As opposed also to Union Leader and Country Doctor, this one does not contain any nicotine, which is bad. Therefore the two stars.

I'm off to Granger in a couple of weeks when my shipment arrives to Denmark - I have launched "Project American Drug-Store Blends", since I reckon there might be some good stuff among those products.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The cut makes packing, lighting and smoking Briggs as easy as riding a bike: no problems, nothing complicated, nothing spectacular, but rather nice. The tobacco in the tin has, to me, kind of a tutti-fruiti scent, but that did not translate into the taste of the tobacco. Its a nice smoke; I enjoyed it. I would smoke it again after this tin is gone. The moisture content was just right upon opening the tin; I had no trouble with gurgle or wet heal.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have a soft spot in my heart for this blend. This is a tobacco that lives up to its advertising, "when a feller needs a friend."

Of all the tobaccos I own, this one is the most mellow, predictable, consistent, and pleasing when the world gets a little too fast and sharp-edged. It is a good friend with a gentle touch on the palate and a slow easy burn.

I like Briggs in the morning in one of my briars I made with my own hands along with a strong cup of black coffee. If I'm in the mood for a nicotine kick but don't want the world to spin, this blend works well as the bottom portion of a parfait-packed pipe with another maligned blend on the top, Royal Yacht. I know everyone has their own taste, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for "tastes" and bite and cross-eyed nicotine blasts. Early morning, it's more times than not a visit with a good friend. For me that's really what pipesmoking is about.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

There's nothing special about or wrong with Briggs and if complete mildness is what you seek you will definately find it here. While it burns cool, it simply has no flavor, body or taste.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend came to me as part of an 8-tin sampler of HOW re-creations. This was described on their web site as a "full-bodied,full strength cube-cut burley with Virginia white flake". I take exception, it isn't full bodied at all. The physical appearance has already been aptly described, the burn is cool and steady, but with so little taste that I would have to say "why bother?" (Or, maybe it's just my burnt out taste buds failing to respond after all those years of balkan-type blends) Overall, there's nothing wrong with Briggs, if mildness of everything is your measure. But ask yourself, if you already like one of the old drugstore burley brands, would you be willing to pay twice the price for Briggs?

Now that the House of Windsor has taken over many old classics, and now that P&T magazine's Summer 2003 has featured them, I was a sucker to purchase them all. So far, I have fallen in love with Country Doctor and have great respect for Union Leader. Briggs Mixture though, is not my cup of tea.

Briggs Mixture looks like chunky, broken up pieces of cardboard in the tin. Unfortunately, the stuff smokes about the same way it looks. Although cool burning, it is very bland with little variance in flavor. Though topped with something, the topping is so light it is almost undetectable.

Positives: Relatively cheap, burns cool, has a nice room note.

Negatives: Tasteless, light on the nicotine, burns fast and leaves ashes everywhere.

Update 5/15/05=

Last night I revisited two HOW blends (Briggs & Revelation.) Sometimes my impressions change a little over time. Not this time. Briggs is still at the lower end of my tobacco food chain. Revelation, on the other hand, is still quite tasty.

Silver Satin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Satin (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm getting to like the "Drug Store" blends more and more. I bought the eight tin sampler of HOW re-issue blends and found smoking them to be a pleasing experience. Okay, Briggs does look like broken up cardboard a little bit but I like the larger bits of tobacco. I further agree that it is a great first pipe due to it's characteristics. I might buy the sampler again (with the nifty three pipe tote) from Thompson's but will probably pick up a large tin o' Briggs next time I am at Iwan Ries.

CpnFred Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CpnFred (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Bought a can of this stuff just for the slogan. It definately has some rum taste to it. I found it to be nothing special.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

For me Briggs is a standout light Burley, golden Virginia mixture. It is surely deserving of 3 or 4 star billing - a superior rating that many elitist or "tin" only aficionados among our ilk cannot possibly fathom providing to a lower than low "drug store" blend. Very, very taken I am with this Altadis "match" version purchased at the Habana Premium Shoppe (PipesandCigars.com) in Albany, NY. Mr. Russ Oullette, their iconic master blender, told me to come over and bring my pipe for a sample. But I trusted Russ and just for the memories bought an 8 oz. bulk sack on the spot. No buyer's remorse.

Reviewed as a House of Windsor and P. Lorillard blend on tobaccoreviews.com, PipesandCigars.com website reports, "We've added (Briggs match) from our friends at Altadis who have taken the time to blend matching tobaccos for some of your old time favorites...previously discontinued." I must say that this is as true a replication of the Briggs "back in the day" in the early 60s when as high schoolers we stole an illicit smoke or two down behind a sub rosa place known as "The Rock."

Previous reviewers use such descriptors as "bourbon," "vegetal," "apple," "fennel" and "coriander" to describe some of the many exquisite aroma and tastes emanating from this mixture. I distinctly remember a "sweet metalic" flavour coming from my old boxed pouch, and the same secret aroma right after char light. Never thought this feller would ever need such a fond memory from an old friend. Very pleasant. Happy hunting...

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I opened a tin of Brigg's a few days ago. I find this a pretty good smoke. A full flavor smoke, in my opinion. Seems that the nicotine content is higher than I expected. I did not notice a casing or topping, just good burley and Virginia.

At almost twice the price of H&H and the Prince, and only available online or mail order with shipping charges, I probably will only buy this occasionally. I never tried this stuff when you could find it almost everywhere(decades ago). All in all, this tobacco is good. Makes a person long for the good old days.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another House of Windsor revival that I really wanted to like. Came in the tin in fairly large woodchip-like chunks. Mostly uniform nutty brown. Very difficult to get lit, unfortunately, and the rather strong applejuice flavoring got in the way of any real enjoyment. No idea what the old blend was like, but at the prices they're charging, the current blend is not worth the dough.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Since im back on burleys I bought a pouch of this. Another trip back to the old days! Has that 1930's and 1940's flair about it. This is what was smoked back in those days! This blend is at the other end of the spectrum compared to Model or Prince Albert. This is full bodied, rich, and quite strong! You want nicotine, walla! If you never smoked a pipe and you pick this up because it says when a feller needs a friend, well you'll have a few after smoking this because the room will be spinning! By no means am I saying this is a bad tobacco, it's just not for beginners. This is one serious burley. It's so damn expensive though! What in the world is H.O.W. doing? 10oz cans for $23.00 is a bit steep for these blends. It's good, but not that good. If I want a strong burley I'll go with H&H or Granger for $16.00 a can plus 4 more oz. For now I'll just stick with the Prince.

Old Burr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Burr (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

From first introducing itself to me as an occasional 'treat' blend, this has become one of my favourites. You might even say, my signature blend/brand of choice, though expensive for my budget. I'm a burley smoker, mostly, though I'll smoke English, and very rarely an aromatic. Briggs is aromatic enough for me, although really a burley with a subtle topping. It does tend to smoke hot if you don't keep it firmly tamped, but you won't find yourself having to re-light it every few seconds, if ever. (Have you ever observed that pipe smoking is sometimes less smoking, and more playing with matches?). My wife, who is rather fussy about room odours, always speaks well of Briggs. There was once a cartoonist (Clare Briggs) who drew a cartoon series that was the same as the motto on the Briggs tin: 'When a Feller Needs a Friend', and his signature at the bottoms of his cartoons bears a striking resemblance to the Briggs label. I wonder what the relationship to the tobacco and the cartoonist may be?

rduran1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rduran1 (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Burley fans unite and celebrate Briggs! This is a very well made blend that is unique amongst other burleys for its flavor, aroma and taste. Be advised that this is a MILD smoke, but one which will stand out from others if given attention. This is amongst my favorite tobaccos and is a fine example of House of Windsor's excellent work with burley. If you are enjoying a good book, a drink on the deck or simply taking a leisurly walk this is the tobacco to indulge in. Brigg's will always have a special place in my heart as it eased me through a stressful time with the birth of my first son a year ago. Someday when my boy is old enough I will share it with him. "When a feller needs a friend" couldn't be a better or more apt slogan for such a relaxing and pleasant smoke. The only minor complaint I have is it that it is a little dry for my preference out of the pack/tin. This, however, can be easily fixed. Buy some and remember I told you so!

09/30/2004:This one has a Burley character with the Virginia along for the ride. The flavor I detect here is one of an apple. I like the big chunks of tobacco in this blend. If you put the big pieces on the bottom when loading your pipe, the smoke will last a good long time. Did not notice any soapy or floral notes on this one. This tobac is made for a cob or a Dr. Grabow pipe while you're working in the shop or weeding the flower bed. Very good for these pursuits. This blend is nice and dry and ready to smoke. I bought the 2 oz. tin.

11/16/2006 Update: No longer smoke as there are any number of classier Burley blends available. If you are curious as to what Grandpa's drugstore blend of the 1950's tasted like give it a try.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Update After smoking increasingly strong tobacco, such as Black Frigate, I had a need for something mild. I dug out my old can of Briggs, filled an old briar and gave it another whirl. It had dried out considerably and that made the difference: it smokes much better when dry. This is the mildest tobacco I've ever smoked, it burns as cool as anything I've ever tried and there were no "burley bitters". The flavor is that of straight up burley and the smallest hint of a mild topping (which in the can reminds one of raisins). In my middle years I've become a minimalist and this fills the bill. Like one of the earlier reviewers I find this enjoyable as the first pipe of the day with coffee. Recommended for burley lovers who are looking for something simple and minimally flavored.

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I guess the most striking thing about this blend is my lack of reaction to it one way or the other. It isn't bad really. It's just too mild for me. It smells nice. I could see this as a working smoke, but I don't smoke while I work. Try it if like me, you are fascinated with the old- timey blends. Sometimes the nostalgia is greater than the reality.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It is quite true: this looks like granulated cardboard. That didn't bother me. What bothered me the first time I tried this was that it seemed too mild, almost tastless. However, we all know that reviewing pipe tobacco is extremely subjective. Not only do tastes differ from reviewer to reviewer, but I know that my taste changes over time. In fact my taste changes with the time of day and it depends on what I've eaten, what I've drank, what I've smoked earlier, how I'm feeling, etc. Anyway, I happened to smoke Briggs in the morning one day and it was a revelation (ahh... House of Windsor's Revelation---a great tobacco---but that will be another review). Suddenly, Briggs tasted great and smelled great. As a result, I've been smoking it as my first pipe of the day with enthusiasm. Briggs works well in any pipe but, for me, only in the morning. As with many of House of Windsor's tobaccos, Briggs seems to need humidification. However, I've come to appreciate the lack of moisture because I've been acquiring many fine old estate Kaywoodies but which have the constricting metal "Drinkless" filter and I've found that a dry tobacco does much better in them than a moister one. Due to lack of humidification this tobacco lights easily and burns well, yet it does not seem to bite. I give this a grade of "B".

generalpatton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
generalpatton (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I have to agree with the previous reviews in that Briggs has a very mild taste overall. The first third of the bowl is pretty bland and the light flavor begins to come out as you smoke down the bowl. I would characterize the flavor one does get as a definite burley flavor.....and Briggs reminds me very much of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, although to me, Briggs smokes much cooler. Edgeworth will scorch ones tongue if not smoked slowly. I'm normally a guy that likes a heavier flavor.....but I do like this tobacco. This is a blend you could have going all the time without it getting "too much". I normally only smoke my pipes at home anymore and sometimes I like to have my pipe going all the time if I'm in the garage or outside doing some work. Briggs is a blend you can do that with.

I must also comment on the surprising high quality of the HOW blends. I purchased a sampler package of all 10 blends in the small cans and I'm working my way through them. They definitely are head and shoulders above what I consider to be typical "drugstore" blends. These blends were gone from the drugstores by the time I took up pipes and I'm glad they're back and fairly well recieved........

PipeSmokerForLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokerForLife (10)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I can't say anything bad about this blend. But by the same marginal token, it is hard to say anything good about it, as well. I did not like this as much as I thought as I would. I found some similar elements such as room aroma and taste to be similar to Country Doctor, but still somewhat removed. I would still prefer Country Doctor over this blend any day. The big problenm is that until very recently most House of Winsdor brands were unavailable in my part of the country. Then one day about a month ago, the tobacco shop down the street from me started carrying most of their blends in pouch form. After reading about these blends in P&T, I bought one of each. Now, I'm mentioning this because 35 years ago, many of theseso called drug store blends were available almost anywhere (department stores, grocers, drug stores, etc.) Over the years many of these blends dissappeared off many store shelves. So it's been a long while since I've smoked many of these. My big dissappointment is that Briggs, like many others that have been re-introduced recently, just don't have the same taste or smoking qualities like their counterparts from 35 years ago use to have. In short, today's Briggs, just isn't the same from the way I remembered it from the 1960's.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very overlooked burley blend. Its such a good price for what you get. It is mild to me.

Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Smoker (1)

Has a nice tin aroma. Hard to keep mosit in a day pouch.