Stratford is an enticing blend of delicately sweet brights and rich, ripe, red Virginia tobaccos, seasoned with just the right measure of fine Louisiana Perique. The wonderfully nuanced interplay of sugar and spice is sure to delight the lover of this time honored combination. The room note is soft and subtle, the taste zesty and piquant. This is the one for the Virginia/Perique fans.

Notes: Stratford was released in July, 2003.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

3.1
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

When I discovered Telegraph Hill, it forced me to look at Greg Pease the blender in a different light. Sure he had seemed to master the latakia/oriental mixes but the VaPer, while seemingly the essence of simplicity, is not easy to do properly. I never thought any blend could overtake Escudo or St James Woods for me, but TH did it with ease. I call it perfection in a tin. For those who want to dial down the perfection a bit, GLP gives you Stratford.

Golden brown in the tin with the beautiful nose of perique. The cut is one of those hilarious C&D cuts... a quasi-ribbon chop cut that looks like it was a broken flake at one point until someone with a few shots of tequila got to it. Nevertheless, it works.

While Telegraph Hill was all about flavor explosion and complexity, Stratford brings balance to the table. The flavor is ever-so-slightly muted and the spicy perique is balanced beautifully with the sweet lemon VA and the tangy red VA. None of these components jump too far to the fore at any given time. And yet the interplay shifts with regularity. Usually two of the three components duet on the foundation of the third and then one of the soloists drops to the background a bit while the other two dance. While this is milder than Telgraph Hill, it's no "set it and forget it" smoke. Too much flavor and too much going on. Highly recommended. And I'm told this stuff improves with age. My tin is less than a year old. And this stuff gets better???

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Stratford is a delightful Va/Per with some strength and spicy nuances that made my taste buds tingle. Typical top-shelf leaf is used by this tobacco's legendary blender, thus creating a true masterpiece for Virginia/Perique lovers. Burns cool, clean and dry and is also a little on the sweet rather than dark side. Load up and enjoy!

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

I have tried all of greg's other VA style tobac's and as usual this one hasnt dissapointed. Somewhat similar to Union square but a bit darker in taste. The Perique is fairly mild in this. Burns well and if not smoked gently the pipe is gone rather quickly. I've given this 3 stars as Union Square and Telegraph Hill are better in my books. Very nice, definitely worth a go.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Greg Pease's Stratford is the first tobacco I've tried in w while that I purchased myself rather than was sent to me specifically for review purposes. As many of you know, I have just moved from Charlotte, NC, to Smyrna, GA; I visited a Charlotte tobacconist before the move and found two tins of this blend on the shelf. I thought, what the heck. Stratford is a blend of bright and red Virginias with perique, a combination I really like. As soon as I got to my car I popped a tin and smelled it. The aroma is both sweet and spicy, with the fine, fig-like aroma of the perique making a statement among the soft and delicately sweet aroma of the Virginias. In appearance, there is a lot of yellow mottled with a mix of tans and brown. The moisture level is, to my taste, perfect. So of course I loaded a bowl as soon as I got home and to a pipe. From the initial light I knew I was in for a treat. The sweet, cloying flavor of the Virginia is wonderfully balanced by the tangy perique in such a way that the perique holds a perfect balance against the usual bite-prone Virginia, making this a real smokers' blend. The flavor of this blend is both unique and yet recalls the pleasures of other Virginia/perique blends. Pease has remarkably found a balance point for the two tobaccos which is unlike anything else I've tried. The end result is just what he promises – sugar and spice. The perique's spice and fig/raisin taste plays on the smoker's tongue happily while the Virginias provide the delicate sweetness expected of the best Virginia blends. And I don't think tongue bite would be possible unless the smoker really tried hard to find it. Puff away – this blend is simply pleasure from start to finish. After the first bowl I started packing my smoking bag for the five hour drive. In doing so, I set aside all other blends, even packing my McCranie's Red Ribbon in a box. Stratford seemed to me to be, for my smoking tastes, the ideal blend for an all-day smoke. Three days later I am still smoking nothing else, even though I've now unpacked about 40 blends. I used to worry that when Greg's Cumberland runs its course I'd be left searching for a favorite blend, but that worry has been set aside. Stratford is here, and without a doubt I can declare it my new favorite Virginia blend. Whether you like Virginias or simply like to occasionally light one up, I think you owe it to yourself to try this blend. If I can find a complaint about it, that would be that the bowl eventually burns to the bottom – but that just gives an opportunity to load a fresh bowl and start anew.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Tin date: 12/9/09

Aroma: This stuff smells good in the tin, very hay-like with just the faintest hint of fresh-baked dinner rolls. In fact, it smells exactly like Uncle Frank's hayloft in Minnesota from my childhood memories. I can barely detect the perique in the tin aroma.

Appearance: Very light with a beautiful golden color. By appearance it seems to have quite a small percentage of perique, since the perique I've seen is quite dark in color. This is a ribbon but there are a few big pieces of uncut tobacco, some as big as a square inch. I like that though…it adds interest.

Pipe 1: Stanwell Relief Billiard Pipe 2: Skinny No-name Dublin Pipe 3: Chubby Savinelli 320KS Author

Flavor: First pipeful in the Stanwell (my star Virginia pipe) was very underwhelming. A step down from Fillmore for sure. Ashy and short on flavor, I knew immediately that Stratford needs to be nursed very carefully. The second pipe, the skinny Dublin (a great VA flake pipe) fared a little better, as I was able to extract some richness that was totally lacking in the first pipe. In the Sav: another small step up in flavor, at least to the point where I can get some Virginia richness out of it if I really concentrate. But this stuff is even more finicky than Fillmore. I realize that some tobaccos are very pipe-dependent and I have tasted tobaccos that only shine in one particular pipe. I'm hoping to find the magical combination for Stratford but for now I just can't rise above two stars.

This blend has that same ashy flavorless character that OGS had the first time I tried it fresh out of the tin. With the OGS I jarred it for a few months, then re- opened it and actually enjoyed it. In the same vein, I have read similar reviews of Stratford: fresh, it's bland. Aged, it's sublime. Even FVF is aggressively average when fresh, but totally transforms with a year of age. My tin is only three months old, so I think my best bet is to jar this stuff and try it next year when the plum blossoms emerge.

I think Stratford wants to be a Peter Heinrich's Curly, which also emphasizes the fresh hay character in the tin and is similarly quite simple and austere, although much more flavorful. Fillmore is also better than Stratford. Escudo is much better. My favorite vapers, SG's St. James Flake and McC St. James Woods, are in a different league altogether. I have read some very favorable reviews of this blend, but it will not make it to my “buy more” list, although I realize that this tobacco tasting hobby of ours is very subjective. It just doesn't do it for me, but this is obviously quality weed so please chime in, especially those of you who disagree with me!

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

After I finished a sublime tin of Fillmore dating from October 2006, I perused my tobacco closet for a VaPer to replace it in my rotation (I always keep one VaPer, one light English, a heavier English, a straight Va, and often a burley or aromatic in my rotation). I considered a tin of Elizabethan and a tin of Dorchester, but then a tin of Stratford dated June 2005 revealed itself and since I'd not tried it, it seemed pretty obvious. The cut of Stratford is a pretty wide ribbon and it packs just perfectly into a Stanwell Vario horn shaped pipe that's quite deep, but relatively narrow (shape #217). I always use the baby, lady, gentleman method of packing. Stratford consistently lights and burns neatly with nary a relight needed unless I wander off. From beginning to end, it reminds me of a better, sweeter Elizabethan. The pleasant Perique tingle on the tongue is present, but not to the degree it is in Fillmore, as there seems to be a little less in Stratford. While I enjoy a Perique heavy blend, the lighter touch of it here makes it a true condiment leaf and compliments the sweet hay like Virginias. Occasionally whisks of the pepper and plum make themselves known, but those Virginias... Sometimes there's a light freshly baked bread note that comes and goes, and it's most definitely present in the room note. I can't recommend it highly enough, despite the fact that it seems to be overlooked amongst Mr. Pease's other superb blends. Grab a few tins and set them aside for a while and I promise you'll have a happy smoke. It pairs well with a crisp, golden German or Czech pilsner.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Vario horn, Cavicchi 1c bent apple

Purchased From: The Briary

Similar Blends: Elizabethan Mixture, Dunbar.

USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Tried this tobacco for the first time ever - this review follows smoking 5 bowls in various style pipes - Ben Wade freehand (1972), Savanelli Autograph (1974), Barling tanshell (1974), Peterson bent (1984) and a Caminetto egg(1972).

Overall this tobacco has an excellent aroma in the can and the room. Is is very light on the perique side and burns somewhat fast due to the ribbon cut.It is very moist straight from the can and I let it sit out for 3 days to dry before smoking - any less and it is a wet and hot smoke.

To maintain this as a cool smoke I find it does best in a tall narrow bowled pipe like my old Barling tanshell (1974), packed fairly tight and with slow, regular and deep draws.

To me it paired really well with GlenDronach Revival (15 year old single malt, neat) and not so well with coffee (Columbian or Sumatra) or wine (Merlot or Malbec).

Overall it is an OK smoke for early or mid-day, but I prefer something with a more pronounced perique taste in the evening like Escudo (#1 all time favorite) and Bayou Morning Flake (#2).

After finishing this 2 oz. tin I most likely will not purchase again - only because it is too light for my taste.

Finally, this tobacco is best enjoyed indoors ; outdoors the taste and aroma change to that "grassy" state so common with light virginias.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite vapers. It is very peppery and I love the top note of the bright Virginia tobacco. If you like to exhale through the nose, this may be stronger than you think. I particularly like this blend in a Savinelli 2000 and a tall and narrow Nording freehand.

I have sample two tins, one four months old and one nine months old. Oddly enough, I liked the younger tin a little better. On the other hand, I smoked most of the older tin in Chennai, India. It is next to impossible to get your tobacco to dry out in this climate.

This is one of Pease's better values:the tins are stuffed very full.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A fairly light overall color. Mostly lemon and orange (reddish) Virginia, with a few darker strands visible. The cut is long and short ribbons, typical GLP.

Aroma: The first impression is grassy, sort of like a really fine grade of hay that you would feed to a horse you really liked. This tells me that lemon Va. is a major component. There is also a slight tang from the Perique, but none of the acetic acid smell of a McClellend blend. Doesn?t have the heavy, sweet aroma of a matured red, so I anticipate a light, but pleasant smoke. Possibly this is the ?Breakfast Virginia? counterpart to Piccadilly.

Packing: Like all of the GLP blends, this packs easily into any size bowl from group 3 through 5. Experience with this series tells me to pack just a hair tighter than usual, but only a red hair.

Lighting: The blend takes flame readily, but not too quickly. The cut is just right for lighting.

Initial flavor: This is a Breakfast Virginia indeed, the flavor is light and bright on the tongue, with grassy overtones. There is a bit of Perique tingle, not excessive. Shows promise of some complexity. Needs to be puffed slowly. Don?t pack too loosely. Has excellent DGT qualities.

Mid-bowl: This is definitely a light blend, but not bland. There is some interplay of the different Virginias, and the Perique fades in and out as you proceed slowly. Puffed too quickly, this can become monochromatic in taste (read boring), and can get hot. In other words, don?t push her too fast, or she?ll slap your face. Go slow, and she?ll give you everything you want.

Finish: Nothing really changes at the end of the bowl. It finishes dry and cool, leaves a fluufy, light ash behind. You may be ready for another soon, or for something heavier.

Summary: For me this is an eye-opener. For others, it may be a great all-day smoke. Definitely a winner, and I will buy a bag or two to cellar, as well as a few cans to dip into. Another winner in the Classic Series.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The percentage of bright Virginias in this blend is overwhelming, creating a very nice visual impression of light, vivid gold. This choice of leaf, less sugary than red Virginia, and the presence of a discreet quantity of Perique help in building the characteristic taste of this blend: extremely dry and sour, though absolutely not in an unpleasant way. I was immediately struck by the similarity to another blend I like, that is Three Friars by Cornell & Diehl. And of course, considering that the maker is Craig Tarler for both products, it's clear that the two blends are close relatives! Personally I think that Stratford is a bit more delicate and lemony and has less nicotine, while Three Friars is a bit stronger and sweeter. Both are good products, though, which burn extremely well, dry and regularly (I might also be tempted to say it burns a bit too fast), and with bootloads of taste... at least at first. As a matter of fact, after a few days from opening the tin, the taste of the tobacco becomes much blander, at times even tasteless (while Three Friars stays tasty). The main problem for me, though, is that I am not a great fan of Perique, and I can't stand smoking it regularly. On top of that, I prefer red virginias and their fruity notes to the grassy and astringent bright virginias... but this is just a personal preference and doesn't imply that it isn't a good blend... actually it must be quite exceptional if I enjoy it on occasion in spite of my opposite tastes! I think I'll cellar a few tins of this, as it can't help but improve even more with age. It's sooo smooth (in spite of the lemony sourness) and smokable (the opposite of Haddo's which I find less tasty and overwhelmingly strong) right now, but it still has great potential.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

Sykes Wilford says it best. If I were to have a blend made for me this would be it! A natural flavored smoke with a delicate sweetness. Just outstanding! The flavor of genuine Louisiana Perique comes through on a delicate note. It doesn't get much better than this one. Highly Recommended!

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this blend very much. I was very supprised when I first opened the tin and saw the bright yellow virginias, I mean they are yellow! It did not seem to me to have as much perique as barbary coast, however I really enjoyed this blend. It has a wonderfull flavor and texture. If you are one of those people who have a hard time with virginias because of a sensitive tounge, this is a great gentle blend to try.

Charmander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charmander (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

I'm finding that Stratford may be the finest all around smoke for me. The above reviews cover about all that needs to be said.

I wanted to add that the tin I received was packed absolutely tight, and required some decompressing when the seal was broken. I was really surprised but thrilled how much product was in that 2 oz. can. It was really crammed in there and was not overly moist. It lit and burned perfectly. Nice looking leaf!

Also, the tin aroma has an irresistable freshness which was not unlike fresh hay or freshly mown grass. Very nice! When set to flame this fresh, grassy smell becomes just the finest sweet, yet distinctive smoke. Can't keep my nose out of the bowl.

Also,I find that bowls go by rather fast. May be the higher sugar content or might be my enthusiasm, but a tigthly paked bowl might not last as long as you would expect. No bite at all however.

The hint of Perique is just right-on. Hardly noticeable, but wouldn't want to think about it not being there for balance.

I can settle right into Autumn and probably smoke this through Spring and Summer, never touching another blend and be a spoiled and happy camper.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

G. L. Pease - Stratford (Classic Blends).

It's mostly a blend comprised of light brown and yellow ribbons with only a smaller amount of darker/medium brown pieces. The moisture of this tin looked brilliant when the lid was first removed, and because the ribbons are slim in build filling a bowl's easy.

Stratford ignites with ease, and gives a smoke flavoured with just enough Perique to add some life, without causing the smoke to be cartelized and ruled by it completely; albeit, it tastes a little vinegary at times. The Virginia gives a clear and unambiguous taste, being a little citrus-esc, and not allowing the Perique to dominate. The burn's consistent enough, but one of the few negatives is the speed of it: not ridiculously fast, but it's a better smoke in a larger bowl.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not great.

Stratford: in my opinion it's the archetypal three star blend:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Age When Smoked: Six months

Abadakus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abadakus (9)

Won't even try to go over all the description again, a lot has been said in previous reviews. Like many others, I find this blend to be of just the right Virginias with just the right amount of Perique and just the best taste, so deep and satisfying. Five stars!

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo, L'Anatra

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Update I picked this up after about a ear of it sitting in the tin, and I now really appreciate this blend. Its pretty great. Subtle and sweet. The perique adds complexity to the blend while remaining in the background. Great Smoke!

I'm not really feeling this one. It has some sweetness and is a little peppery at times, but just not so appealing to me. Maybe because I usually don't smoke vapers, i don't know. To me it just doesn't have much flavor. I used to like it. This was the first tin of tobacco i have ever tried and before i discovered English blends, or even other vapers i really liked it. Now it just doesnt do a thing for me. I do like haddos delight on occasion, which has much more perique, but i don't know. It isn't the lack of perique in this blend that makes it bland to me its just the over all flavor. In fact i wouldn't even say there is a lack of perique in this blend, i think there's a perfect amount. I rarely smoke vapers but as of right now i think when i do ill stick with my tin of dunhill navy rolls, then i probably wont buy another vaper for a long while.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

This is one of the closest blends I've found to the old Elizabethan Mixture. I really enjoy this one, the peppery Va/Per taste for me is just perfect for a nice cool spring afternoon or mildly warm summer day with a slight breeze, a cup of iced coffee and a book! I love that some of my paperbacks have assumed the smell of this blend.

Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Stratford is another great tobacco from GLPease and a very fine VaPer, one which pleases me every time I smoke it but that hardly makes me zone. Even when I tend to prefer darker Virginias, I like Stratford with its lemon dose better than the all-red Fillmore. Perique is also more noticeable, sometimes getting a bit overwhelming.

A solid 3-stars, maybe I'll upgrade it after more tins.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)

I was in Iwan Ries looking for new things to try, and saw an old tall-style GLPease tin of this. The date said 7/15/03, almost four years at the time, so I bought it blindly. I had never heard much about this particular blend, even though most of my tobacco has Pease's name on it.

I cracked it on my 20th birthday and shared with my pipe friends. The first few bowls smoked too hot, but I kept changing pipes and found a good packing technique.

My three favorite pipes to smoke this with are: s Peterson System 303; a Stanwell Bishop freehand; and a small Wilkes apple turned from Algerian briar sometime in the 50s. The common theme here is a small bowl - even the Stanwell is probably only a small group 4, and the other two are group 3.

Then, proceed to mash as much tobacco as you can into the bowl, about like it is in the tin. If packed with a light hand, this stuff burns in about ten minutes, cinging the tounge the whole time. But packed tightly, the tobacco seems to burn much more slowly, letting out the flavors within.

And while this contains a hint of perique, the main attraction here is a Virginia taste that can only be described as midwestern. It tastes to me like being on a prairie in September.

This is a beautiful summertime tobacco. I can't see it working well in the winter, and it isn't an all day smoke. But for sitting in the grass on a summer afternoon, nothing beats Stratford.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The can just sat on the tobacoonist's shelf and never moved. No one seemed to know it. I pulled the orphan off and rescued it. Found a new friend. It is now a regular.

The smoke reminds me of why we all started smoking a pipe. A halcyon joy to smoke. It has a clean tobacco taste with no gloppy flavors added. It is pure tobacco that is blended so well.

It lights quite easily and burns with delight. In fact it burns too well. Use a large bowl this rascal escapes to the gods too quickly.

The Virginia and perique combination is exquisite, but watch it. On an empty tummy this has enough zip to give you the hiccups.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Smooth and tasty. If you like a rich flavor without the "sledgehammer" effect of too much Perique, this is it. Very high quality tobaccos and the perfect moisture content. Highly recommended.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I guess it just goes to show what Greg would tell you himself, everybody responds differently to a given blend. Stratford smells and tastes like hot smoke to me. It's bland and lacks character.

I love Virginia-Perique blends, but this one just doesn't do it for me.

However, I'm glad that some of the earlier reviewers do enjoy it and vive la difference!

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

I've tried this and I just can't get it to work for me. The blend is mainly light virginia and very little red virginia with a tiny portion of perique.

This stuff is just too light and flavorless for me. I found the flavor too thin with a cigarette note to it. But I gravitate towards dark stoved virginias and strong burley blends. I feel that GL Peases best blends are Barbary Coast, Haddos Delight and Renaissance.

One positive for this and all Greg's blends they're packed to the brim giving the customer a healthy portion.

I found this to make for a great morning pipe. With a cup of coffee it will certainly get you started on the right note. I did find it a little to light for during the remainder of the day however. This reminded me of Dunhill's Elizabethan mixture. Not a lot of sweetness unlike alot of other VA/P mixtures, but plenty of flavor. I like the jalapeno perique flavor, and think that it goes well with the lemon virginias. I could hardly detect any flavor from the red Va's. Another winner from Mr. Pease. I have another tin aging, and it will be fun to see how it affects this blend.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I first smoked a sample of this at the Chicago Pipe Show this year, and loved it immediately. It does arrive a bit moist so a little drying out helps it. I have now smoked little over 50g and it has me hooked. It is a very light Virginia, mostly yellow and gold with dark flecks of what I take to be the Perique. I would place this blend in the same genre as C&D Three Friars and Bayou Morning in the way it is constucted. There is very little tin aroma, an almost imperceptible smell of some sort of fermentation which reminded me of wine vinegar. It is fluffy and takes a firm pack. The smoke is mild with unique flavor. I think it is the preparation of the Virginias that is the key. The Va. in this blend in combination with the very restrained application of Perique produce a truly distinctive flavor. This tobacco did not bite me, but I think it could if the smoker became agressive. This is the sort of smoke that can be taken in sips and yet provide lots of flavor. Stratford never moves into the Perique zone where it dominates. The Perique remains part of the orchestra and never takes a solo, although occasionally a bright Perique note will burst through. Most highly recommended. Paddy.