BnB Tobacco
4noggins.com

Peter Stokkebye's best selling blend. Superior Golden African Virginias are combined with Burleys and mild Black Cavendish then finished with a unique vanilla and chocolate essence to achieve the superb taste favored by millions.

BrandPeter Stokkebye

2.4
imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of those tobaccos about which I can not seem to make up my mind. It seems much sweeter at times than at others; it even seems to have a taste and aroma reminiscent of cigarette smoke at times. At other times, it seems more like a typical aromatic.

The only constant I've noticed is its tendency to blister my tongue.

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

PS-24 Nougat is very similar to Q-1. This is about the same as ciggarette tobacco. There is not much flavor. Room note is OK. Not reccomended for aromatic smokers who want smooth and flavor.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed my time with this one. It definitely has that confectionary taste of Nougat. I really like the Peter Stokkebye bulks and prefer them over many others. If you like vanilla and chocolate aros this is a good one.

Pipe Used: Altinok Canadian

Purchased From: Smoking pipes I think?

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The chocolate and vanilla flavors are present as advertised, along with notes of carmel. I don't get much tobacco flavor here. It burns well and fairly dry, and has a nice room note. An unobtrusive all day smoke, but not interesting enough for my personal taste, though I can see why fans in this genre would like it.

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I wanted to give this a try after reading that this was the tobacco all the actors smoked on the LOR movies. Not being an aromatic fan I was pleased to find out that the taste was present but light for an aromatic. Definitely hints of chocolate and vanilla, but for me, it was much more prevalent in the room note than in the smoke. The wife loved the smell and didn't mind me smoking it in the house, so it gets an extra bonus there. I wouldn't smoke this all the time but it wasn't bad at all.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a delicious chocolate/vanilla/crème, sweet aromatic for the sweet tooth pipers, tastes very creamy and chocolaty with clean, even and dry burns, much better than Lane, Captain Black or other American aromatic, highly recommended for chocolate aromatic lovers.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have to say I really don't mind this tobacco now and again. I find it needs to sit in a jar for a few weeks to a month to dry out if it is really fresh. I think it just tastes better that way. I have some on hand all the time, at least a few ounces. On occasion, if I smoked it too fast, I got a little bite from it but that is my fault. It just tastes so good! I love the smell of aromatics but don't like to smoke most of them. This one I do.

Stokkebye has prepared this aromatic with quality VAs, Burleys and Black Cavendish that range in color from orange to jet black. The smoking characteristics of this ribbon cut are good and little attention is required after the initial light. The pouch and room aromas receive compliments from non-smokers. Although the chocolate/vanilla taste from the casing is evident throughout the smoke, it is not so strong to totally destroy all the tobacco taste. This blend is too mild for me to add to my regular rotation and I'm still not an aromatic convert. However, I'll probably try this one again as a change of pace during the hot summer weather.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)

I was disappointed, as it first smells a bit cigarette like in the smoke right off the bat. It's mildly sweet smelling in the pouch, and tastes mildly sweet smoking it. But I was hoping for a more richer or slightly sweeter aromatic, without the dry, cigarette like flavour I was getting. For those who like burley and just want a slightly sweet hint, this may be a good one. For those looking for a rich aromatic, I would say try a good Boswell's aromatic, or even Russ Ouilette's aromatic monthly blends.

Pipe Used: Paul Menard's customer poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 1 month old

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes online

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)

I bought this solely for my wife and daughters to enjoy in a clever attempt to stay inside on occasion when I smoke. Mission accomplished! Everyone raves about the pleasant scent and I found an aromatic that doesn't make you feel like you gargled with a candle after smoking it. The taste IMO doesn't overwhelm the tobacco flavor but the tobacco is mild and sort of one dimensional. Anyway, I chose to smoke a pipe not only for myself but so others may enjoy it too and this one does the trick.Still a VaPer man through and through but I will be interested in trying other aromatics from Stokkebye. Very well done!

robb.maximilian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robb.maximilian (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This was the first pipe tobacco i tried. When you first open the bag, it smells like candy. The room note is superb. If your looking for a crowd pleaser this is it. The flavor is very good, but I have tasted better. Of the light, you can taste a very sweet flavor, more like bittersweet cocoa than chocolate. Shortly afterward, you start to taste the vanilla. At the midway point, it taste more like toffee. Near the end though, those sweet flavors die off and it becomes more dull. I like it enough to have bought it multiple times. I would say that this is a smoke that is tasty enough to smoke every once in a while, when you feel like something sweet, or when you have company. Sip it slowly, otherwise it will burn your tonge. This smoke has a lot going for it, but it's not perfect. If you like sweet aromatics, try it. For such a cheap price, it is well worth it.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had high hopes for this tobacco, but came away slightly disappointed.

The room note is only tolerable, and really just smells like smoke. There's a pleasant taste to it though.

This is at best a once in a while addition to the rotation. Not a bad blend at all, just nothing to get excited about.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I tried this, among other Stokkebye blends, as part of my search for blend Smoker's World called Private Stock. I still haven't found that blend, but this is a very good one. It is going into the rotation. It took a few bowls to warm up on me. I'm sure in part to replace the flavors left by the former tobacco smoked in that pipe. Once it started having its own flavor, I really liked it more than I liked the smell. A lot of aromatic blends smoke really wet and hot. This one doesn't. It also tastes a lot like it smells. I can taste nougat when I smoke it. I like it as a dessert or evening smoke.

UPDATE 1/24/13 I have changed my mind on this blend. After a while, I don't get much of the flavor, and the blend is burning hot - regardless of which pipe I use.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This according to Peter years ago, told me this was the same as Tinder Box North Sea. That was true back then but somewhere things changed. Maybe the years have jaded my taste buds but this is nowhere near the same tobacco I smoked long ago. Maybe I got a bad batch but this was boring, lacked any flavor or aroma. If I didn't know better I wouldn't even think PS made it. It had very little moisture and their seemed to be no aroma right out of the bag during the huff test. I was looking forward to tobacco memories but they we're shattered with one bowl of this blend. It did burn OK but that is the best I can say about it. I hope it was a bad batch and may have to order it from TB and see if it's any better. 2 Stars

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I got a bag of Nougat from a friend at Christmas. He was a pipe smoker in the past, and he wanted to share his favorite with me. It was under the Tinderbox name of North Seas.

My first impression on opening the bag was that this was a nicely blended, good-looking tobacco. The moisture content was a bit high though. The aroma was tantalizing. Though the topping was a bit overpowering at first, when I left it open for a while, things settled down.

I was anxiously waiting for it to dry a bit, when it became evident that this simply wasn?t going to happen any time soon. So I loaded up. I decided to take extra precautions so as not to sear my tongue and smoke it as it was, moisture-wise.

The initial light brought forth nothing but topping. This soon settled down, and by the 1/3rd mark, I was actually getting the suggestion of the taste of tobacco. Toward the end of the bowl, the topping ran out and I got some real tobacco taste for a few puffs.

In spite of the high moisture content, it was a smooth and enjoyable smoke. The pipe was relatively dry, and the tobacco burned down to the bottom of the bowl with minimal effort.

For a comfortable aromatic change of pace, I will undoubtedly reach for Nougat again.

===UPDATE Sept-04===

A sample of this was included with a recent pipe purchase. The pipe was for my wife, who has been smoking a pipe for under a month. She fell in love with the smell of this and couldn?t wait to try it.

Unlike my previous encounter with this blend, this time it dried nicely, and was ready for smoking in about an hour. She smoked a bowl and raved about the taste, how smooth it was, and the complete lack of bite. Of course, after hearing that, I had to load a bowl myself and try it again. This experience was completely different from my previous encounter with the blend. I found it to be everything that she?d said it was. The first time I tried Nougat it came from Tinder Box.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'll admit, I bought this tobacco because of it's association with the Lord of the Rings movie, as it apparently was the tobacco smoked in all the pipe weed scenes. If I could blow a smoke ship like Gandalf, maybe I wouldn't mind the tongue bite so much...

Pouch Note: Very soft and sweet, although not to the level of say, Lane 1q. The topping description states vanilla and chocolate but I pick up more of a marshmallow and vanilla note. The tobacco also doesn't seem to be as wet as other aromatics.

Light and initial draw: Not as sweet as I was expecting. But a wee bit harsh on my tongue from the start. The topping is well done, I'll give it that... I still know I'm smoking tobacco and haven't shoved a cheesecake into my bowl.

Down the bowl: I've taken to tiny, ginger little sips on this to prevent further bite. It's still quite tasty, it is more balanced than other aros I've had in the past.

Final thoughts: I'm going to give this some age to see if it calms down, I've jarred the last of it and I will let it sit for awhile. I was impressed with the topping, as it wasn't overpowering. What was overpowering, however, was the feeling in my poor tongue after a large bowl of this. I gave it several tries in several pipes, including a cob with a balsa filter which normally calms the most rabid of bitey tobaccos.

Pipe Used: BB Pipo, MM Legend with Balsa filter

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased bulk)

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

ololppp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ololppp (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Peter Stokkebye - PS-24 Nougat This is a good baccy. Sweet taste, but it bites my tongue like aromatics usually do!

Bite = 5 Burn = 6 Star Rating = 2.5 Room Note = 7 Flavor = 6

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (48)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of the most curious blends I've ever tried—I both like it, and hate it, all at the same time. It's a real Jekyll & Hyde blend for me. First off, as everyone should know by now, I'm not much for aromatics. As I've said, over and over, I've discovered so few aro's that have any taste. Taste, it's a prerequisite for me. This one has taste, kind of. There's a lot of casing in Nougat, and, for me at least, the tastes are hard to pick apart. The overall taste effect is "tinny" or "metallic". That's the best I can do. As strange as that sounds, it's not a displeasing taste, more interesting than not. Now, here's the negative. When a blend burns hot, as this one does, I have a tendency to smoke wet. This blend has an awful backwash, very foul tasting, yet, the side stream remains acceptable all the while. Another negative is that this blend plays roughshod on my throat—Harsh City, Arizona! Lastly, yet another downer, and it's one I guess I seem to hark on, as with every Stokkebye blend I've tried thus far, the nicotine level is higher than I like. I'll pass on this one, for now. Still, I'm on the hunt for a good tasty aromatic, press on!

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Yet another Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: local shop

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)

Wow- an aromatic that tastes like the tin note. A competitor, I think, to 1Q.

This tobacco suffers from some of the challenges of its style, requiring careful attention and some early relights. Has a mild Aro bite when drawn long, and will benefit from loose packing to avoid frequent, long pulls. While some goop is to be expected with the style, this one is relatively dry in both the pouch and the burn. Nothing like the OTC aromatic offerings as it regards PG content or dottle.

Flavors include a touch of sugar on the tongue, with a foundation of cocoa and milk chocolate, akin to good quality white chocolate and just the most subtle hint of vanilla.

If mixed with a high quality burley, this could be phenomenal (and I plan to experiment). As is, this is among the top tier of aromatics.

Definitely recommended for the Aro smoker. A star in a crowded, but largely inferior, field. Smokers of Captain Yack and the like, try this one. You'll save money and enjoy a far superior tobacco. This is also one of the nic-heavier aromatics, relatively speaking.

As for value, this is what we have come to expect from Stokkebye: superior in its class and the better of many, higher priced competitors. The range, depth, and quality of PS bulk tobaccos never ceases to amaze.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild, pleasent tasting aro but what sets it apart is the lack of propylene glycol. It smokes down to a dry white ash with no bite or gurgle. The vanilla is very subtle and I can't taste the chocolate at all. 3 stars.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 7

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 45

Rated Percentage = 75%

Comment = Smooth, a bit of a bite, Burned Hot, the casing leaves a little After Taste

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

as an aromatic smoker, i had to give this danish aromatic a try. the pouch aroma is wonderful and the room note is equally complementing. the flavoring is mild that you have to sip very slowly to detect the chocolate and vanilla, i found the tobacco taste is more dominant. had no problem when it comes to tongue bite. i can safely recommend this tobacco, but perhaps as it is the case for many danish aromatics they are not for every one.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I can not detect any hint of chocolate or vanilla ..there is a kind of weird creamy note which I can't put my finger on..the smell is blah as is the smoke. Bought it bulk and am disappointed as the reviews i read gave it a thumbs up...i see there are two different varieties of nougat perhaps i bought the wrong one. Won't be buying this again.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Astringent, floral taste mixed with a vague creaminess and no tobacco flavor to speak of, I know this is very popular but it just isn't for me.

ptrthgr8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ptrthgr8 (6)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I started smoking pipes about a month ago (cigar smoker for over 20 years) and the first tobacco I picked up were Stokkebye blends – 2oz. of Cherry, Nougat, and Vanilla Crème. Got my first pipe earlier that Friday (a Missouri Meerschaum Patriot) and then planned to have an enjoyable weekend with these three blends while awaiting my first smokingpipes.com order that included several other well-reviewed blends and two new pipes. I left a review of the Cherry already (Boo! Hiss!), so I’ll only focus on the Nougat and Vanilla Crème here.

Both the Nougat and Vanilla Crème had very pleasant aromas from the bags – about what I would expect from a flavored tobacco. Definite and clear aromas of vanilla, cream, and generally buttery goodness. I had a really hard time making much of a distinction between the two, although the Nougat may have had a slightly more pronounced toffee flavor. Maybe a tad. It was different from the Vanilla Crème, but not in an obvious way.

Both tobaccos were fairly damp, so I set some of each aside to air out a bit for later in the evening. By the time I got around to each, they were easy to pack, although neither took the charring light right away. But once they were lit they stayed lit and I was able to enjoy a bowl of each over the course of the evening.

I was completely unable to tell the difference between either once they were lit. They both tasted exactly the same: a general sweetness that was rather flat. They didn’t taste terrible… but they also didn’t really wow me at all. The room notes for each were also identical – very mild, but mostly pleasant. There was nothing regrettable about these two, but they were also completely uninspiring.

Part of my smokingpipes.com order included Lane’s RLP-6 and 1-Q. The RLP-6 is a godsend and the 1-Q is close behind. Both of those Lane offerings put the Stokkebye Nougat and Vanilla Crème to shame. After having now sampled a few “real” aromatics, I decided to stuff the Stokkebye Nougat, Vanilla Crème, and Cherry into a single pint jar for an extended stint in the cellar. I’ll try them again in a year or so to see if anything has improved, but I just think there’s a huge difference between the Stokkebye aromatics and the likes of Lane Ltd. RLP-6 and 1-Q, or C&D Monster Mix. After having smoked several bowls of each of those far better aromatics, I really can’t imagine why I’d every go back to the Stokkebye blends.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Patriot

Purchased From: Local bottle shop/tobacconist

PipeHaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeHaze (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being an aromatic smoker I guess I had something different in mind with this one. I've had other Burley and Black blends and when I heard "Nougat" I have to say I thought of quite a different tobacco than what this is. First off, PS has some great blends at a great value. This defenately seems to be on par of quality tobacco. It's light and fluffy in the bag, not wet. Lights and smokes well.

There is a mild to medium flavor there, but more so tobacco and much less topping. In the bag it smells light and sweet, almost like honey. I just don't seem to get any of the "Nougat" comming through, while smoking or in the air. For me, it also burned a bit hot and that is probably more due to my smoking habits and not so much the tobacco.

This is probably more for the serious smoker or ones that like a lighter aromatic. This might really suit your tastes. Maybe others that can pick out the subtle flavors or it's complexity will enjoy it more. I found it a little bland, flat and was searching for some of that vanilla/chocalate nougat...it just didn't have anything to hold my attention. I have a few lighter aromatics and other black and burley blends but this one just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it needs more time to come together...who knows. I rarely give up on a tobacco that easy, I'm sure I'll try more of the sample bag I have.

YoungPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungPuffer (5)

Very enjoyable blend, in fact I'm enjoying this blend at this very moment as i write this review. I must say, the folks at Villiger Stokkebye have out done themselves with this one. Smells wonderful in the pouch as well as when being smoked, one of the only baccy's my wife lets me smoke in the house, which is reason enough for me to smoke alot of this blend. Has a nutty, marshmellowy vanilla room note. Has full flavor, which is evidence of the fine tobacco's used in this blend. There is a reason why this is Stokkebye's best selling blend. Will definitely be buying much more of this blend, and i hope you will too.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

I tried both Nougat and Optimum at the same time so that I could compare the two. While I rate Optimum very high, Nougat, although still a good blend, was not a great aromatic. It does taste like vanilla and chocolate, but the vanilla dominates. It smokes cool and burns well, like Optimum, but the Virginias were not very noticeable. It tasted similar to a lot of aromatic blends that mainly rely on black cavendish for their flavor. Nothing wrong with that, if you are in the mood for a simple vanilla flavored aromatic. But to be a truly great aromatic, I think there needs to be a greater variety and complexity of flavors.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

PS Nougat… Another tobacco available in bulk. I'm not sure what nougat should smell like, maybe vanilla, because that was the dominant aroma in my pouch. That same aroma was found in both the room note and in the smoke taste with a tad of sweetness. Very nice. Having a pleasant smoke using this blend is simplicity itself. This stuff is so mild, smooth and bite free, a person can just puff away bowl after bowl without a care, and it always remains well mannered. I would say it is very reminiscent of Captain Black (white) both in taste and mannerisms. Personally I found it a bit too mild and plain for my taste, but that is just me. If a mild, soft flavored smoke, somewhat like CBW is what your looking for, I don't think you will be disappointed with this one. For what it is. 3 Stars. My personal rating is 2.5 / 5

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I kinda like it. You have to be in the mood for this one to be good. I like light aromatics and this one is in the light to medium range. The room note is excellent, even smoke haters loved this one.

I must say however this one tastes and smells better when smoked in a cob. I tried it in a Savinelli and it was not as pleasant of a smoke. I find it that most aromatics tend to smoke a bit better in a cob, and I like English blends in a briar. But thats just me. I have a few pounds of this on hand when I need to please non-smokers.

For those that say this bites... in my short experience as a pipe smoker I have found that almost 70% of the tobaccos I have tried will bite if smoked straight out of a newly opened tin, or a fresh batch of bulk. I have learned my lesson with tongue bite, so I jar the tobacco and let it mellow for a month before I smoke it. Mostly aromatics bite me, not so much the English blends.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pouch: Moderately dry, no heavy casing. Smell of vanilla, delicate application, flavored, not cased. The overall smell is rich and mouth watering. Flame: Burns well, lots of dry smoke. No harshness. No tongue bite. Taste of chocolate, little vanilla. Nice cavendish sweetness. Side stream: Smooth, fragrant, but dry smoke. Not steamy. Little nose tingle. Initially thought it was like Lanes 1Q, But 1Q is more vanilla, Nougat is more chocolate. Down Bowl: Stays dry, no bitterness from the burly. No wetness in pipe. Flavor changes to a mild sweet virginia tobacco as flavoring burns off, burly is in backround. Few relights necessary. Good morning smoke, need quite to enjoy the subtle flavor. Best prior to any food. N is slight at first, but because it does not get wet and goopy I smoked the whole pipe so the cumulative effect was medium and was satisfying at the end. Pipe was dry at end of bowl. NOT a smoke to rush. Aftertaste: Subtle tobacco, no bitterness, nice flavor on tongue, with a bit of tingle but no bite. Flavor in nose is tobacco. Conclusion: Great mild aromatic. Excellent Danish presentation, I can easily see why this is Stokkebye's best seller.

Bigmikewithapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigmikewithapipe (9)

Average smoke if there's nothing else left. Not my first choice, but not trash either. This is a slightly aromatic, mild, smokey smoke. Flavors are ok, but not excellent. This is a popular brand with the baby boomers. This was a favorite back in the day, I know because my Grandads, and Great Uncles smoked the hell out of it! Tobaccos have just evolved so much, and this blend has not. It's like a classic, but a Gremlin, not a Cadillac.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)

The only thing I don't like about this blend is it burns hot and wet. I am sure if I let it dry in the pouch for a while it would take care of those problems. It tastes great, and smells great. The last half of the bowl gets a little ashy but not too bad. First thing I noticed when I opened the bag was smell of Burley tobacco, and if you like burley as a filler, that isn't a bad thing. I may have made it a bit more tobacco-ey and cut down on some of the casings. Other than that, I like this and reccomend it.

Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is not my particular favorite. There is a definite nougat flavor but the mixture burns rather hot and leaves a very acidic taste behind. I cannot recommend this in good conscience.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I guess it really depends on what stable you are from as to how one would rate this tobacco. As an aromatic it was heavily cased, and left a residue that only 6 pipe cleaners could get rid of. The smoke was hot, and had major bite with it, which only made it less enjoyable. A dedicated aromatic pipe is a must with this one. Just not a tobacco for me, for all others who like it, enjoy.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a good baccy, it's just a bit boring compared to other offerings by the same house, their black truffle is much better than this one, which is mild, sweet and cool, but the flavor is way to mild, and if a tobacco is gonna be cased you might as well taste the casing, in this case I found it to be a bit bland. but the room note is amazing and is surely not an offensive tobacco or a bad quality one. on the contrary, any aromatic smoker will probably love this one!

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

In the category of aromatic tobaccos, I consider this to be among the best. It has a nice light (and choco-vanilla) taste which is very palatable. Because it is not heavy in the nicotine department, and because it is such an easy smoke, it is easy to over-smoke it.......a flaw in the smoker, not the tobacco IMHO. It does not have an immediate pure tobacco taste (after all it is an aromatic) but you can taste the tobacco as it drifts in and out of this sweet smoking experience. As an another reviewer has suggested, this one doesn't hit you between the eyes, but rather improves and wins you over more slowly with a bit of finesse. I'm not a full-time aromatic smoker, but in it's class this tobacco is first class....

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

At first I didn't think much of this blend; the pouch aroma was very very nice but i thought it was kind of bland. It wasn't so aversive so I kept on smoking it and after a while it grew on me.

This tobacco is really smooth, it is mild but it isn't bland anymore, I can taste a hint of chocolate and vanilla and the room note is just like the pouch smell.

I think this is a good blend that, no matter how fast you smoke it, it will not bite. Lighting the pipe is usually a one match job and it stays lit throughout the bowl. It does not get goopy and it isn't overwhelmingly sweet. A nice simple smoke to keep non-smoking visitors quiet.

muddler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muddler (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Call me a wimp, but I really like this stuff. It smells great in the bag, lights easily, burns a little wet, but hey it is an aromatic. My wife - a cigarette smoker - loves the smell. I love a small pipeful after dinner a couple of times a week. I recommend it to those who enjoy an aromatic from time to time. A good one to have in the cupboard.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (45)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I had got some of this at tinder box also under the name north seas. I thought I was sucking on air smoke or something I think this flavor is very weak and aroma also.On the good side it packs vey well and burns good in my homemade briar pipe. I smoke half an once before I decided to quit this blend I would not give this to my buddies.

Mr.Vince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Vince (11)

About 18 months ago I purchased a sample amount of this blend to try. When I eventualy got around to smoking it,I though it was an ok blend with a nice aroma, but not a high priority for rotation. I purchased some more at a Tinderbox under the name of North Seas, and was reminded why I do not smoke aromatics, the casing coated my mouth and any thing above a snails pace would result in tongue bite.If you must have a vanilla/chocolate blend I would recomend that you buy it by the pound and let it sit for a year or two before you smoke it.I have recently found an aromatic blend I could smoke, so I know that it is possible to make an aromatic worth smoking but this one was not for me.

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I received this tobacco in a sampler pack. I've been very happy with it, and I haven't had a bad bowl yet.

Pouch aroma is very pleasant: vanilla/chocolate/nougat/nutty.

The smoking flavor is a mild vanilla with a subtle nuttiness/ nougat flavor. There's nothing really outstanding about this tobacco; it's just an all around good smoke suitable for when I want something simple and sweet. This would probably make a good after dinner smoke.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There is a slight sweet taste with this Stokkebye offering, but it bites the tongue pretty hard. The guy at the Tinderbox in the mall said that it was "one of the most popular blends" they sell, and I made SEVERAL inquiries to tongue bite, and he assured me (HA!) that it wouldn't bite. Let's face it:

ALL AROMATICS BITE THE TONGUE! You have to be a seasoned pipe smoker to avoid this, and even some of the best can burn their tongue when they're not careful. It's the biggest single reason why I don't like these bulk in-a-jar aromatics. I've yet to find one that I'm completely enamored with.

I apologize for breaking a precedent of "only talking about this blend" but if you're looking for an excellent tasting aromatic that will only bite if you're reckless, try Freddy Vegas' Nevada '64.

This is NOT the worst aromatic I've ever had, but it's far from the best. I think the '64 will fit the bill best for any "nougat" taste someone would be looking for.

You know what? One thing I really haven't tried yet with these kinds of pipe tobaccos is letting them dry out a bit first. Might make a substantial difference, but there are so many other blends I like so much more, that I just have to ask myself:

"Why bother."

God bless you if you like it. If you do like it, that's great. I don't like it enough to smoke it.

Cheers!

Daniel

Augie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Augie (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

August,2004 I have a 'thing' with nougat and this Stokkebe blend is everything I was looking for! I smoke this blend as my first pipe of the day and the Virginia/Burley combine with the Cavendish to give one that 'nutty' taste that wakes up the tastebuds gently ,but, with an excellent, luxurious tobacco taste! The odor of the weed in the bag drive me wild with that Nougat aroma. I keep it in my bedroom Tobacco Bin ( one of thoes plastic tubs[ they give in the hospital] so as to keep tobacco off the carpet). And within a few days I can smell the aroma, even with the zip-lock sealed

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

God help me, I can't stop smoking this aromatic concoction! It is embarassing. Thinking my tastes run mostly along the lines of crisp natural virginias (Dunhill "Light Flake") with the occasional latakia or burley indulgence, I never would have figured a "Mall" tobacco would strike my fancy. But here I am, hunkered in my study, feverishly puffing away, and loving every minute of it. And, I've been doing it for years!

Nougat is a tobacco of fine quality with a topping that, I swear has the potency of the goopiest Lane casing, but isn't goopy, that tastes great, and burns cleanly to a gray ash. It leaves the pipe dry and smelling nice. The mixture is a broad ribbon cut composed of medium brown burley and stoved black cavendish. There appears to be a touch of P.G. (it's longevity in the bag gives it away), but it can't be much, even though any - IMO - is generally too much. It doesn't leave the pipe a hopeless sump. It packs easily, though it is moist so a gentle touch is essential, it burns easily after a charring light.

The thick white smoke is cool and fragrant. The topping works really well with the nutty burley flavor, which isn't at all lost in the chocolatevanilla. There is no bitterness, or weediness had from cheap, poorly cured burley, but a faint bit of the usual ashiness towards the bottom. For the most part, the flavor holds throughout the bowl. I find it most enjoyable in a pipe with a short throw and a short, wide bowl, (I have loosely dedicated a delightfully stunted little GBD "New Century" 1353 for the purpose), so you get the full effect of the smoke. I have not found the blend to "poison the well" so other tobacco can be smoked in the pipe without ill effect.

If you like the burleys and aren't afraid of intensely sweet flavor, this is a top notch smoke - a highly recommended guilty pleasure.

Update: The last batch I got (Oct. '04) had a sour piquancy to the casing that is very offputting. Have not tried again since.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Nougat(PS-24) May 2004. I was told this was a mild pleasant blend,that would not bite my tongue.'Well it did' Why,I do not know?

I smoke and enjoy many virginias some of which are very strong.And I don't have a problem with a scorched tongue. Maybe,it had something to with the flavouring?

Boy-o-boy,the next day my tongue felt like it had been placed on the BBQ Griller!

Apart from the down-side of my experience. The taste was rather pleasant. Lights easily enough and leaves a light white-grey ash at the end of the bowl.

Give it a try and see how you,go.

Good-luck!