Savory and smooth, the richness of the Perique and Turkish tobaccos is offset by a subtle sweetness. Close to Bishop’s Move, but with a bit less Latakia.

BrandUhle's
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutMixture
Packaging1.5 oz bag, 7 oz bag, 14 oz bag
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
JimInks (2036)

The rather floral and sour acidic, dry, woody, spicy, slightly buttery sweet Turkish is one of the important ingredients. I tend to notice the raisins from the perique more than I do the spice, but that’s likely due to the additional spice of the Turkish. The nutty, earthy, woody, slightly molasses sweet burley is in a secondary support role. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is an ever present condiment, and at times, is a little more forceful than that. The grassy, citrusy Virginia mostly a background player. The nic-hit is almost mild to medium. Won’t bite, but may get a little tongue tingly to a fast puffer. Has a rough edge here and there. Burns clean and slightly slow with an inconsistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a sour, acidic, smoky after taste. Can be an all day. Not sure why it’s named Golden Shag, as this isn’t that golden nor is it a shag cut.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (42)

This one reminds me of Blend #71, but with the addition of Turkish Monopoly and a bit more latakia. It is somewhat richer in taste due to the Turkish, and with more latakia strength it approaches the taste of a mild to medium English/Balkan blend. This is coarser in cut than the Blend #71 and is also a dry tobacco, which is normal for these blends, so little moisture is generated. I really enjoy this tobacco when I want the taste of Turkish and latakia but in somewhat lesser quantities than a full English or Balkan blend. I should point out that it is stated in Uhle's description of this tobacco that it is Blend X with latakia added. This is not entirely correct. You will note that Blend X also lists latakia as an ingredient, and Blend X is listed as an aromatic tobacco. According to Jim at Uhle's, Blend X was originally a non-aromatic blend of burley, virginia, Turkish, and flue-cured cavendish. It was changed to include a condiment amount of latakia along with an aromatic flavoring. Golden Shag, therefore, is the OLD version of X with the addition of fire-cured cavendish and latakia and contains no aromatic agents.

tommyboy1749 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tommyboy1749 (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Uhle's Golden Shag is described in an old Uhle's menu as "Blend 'X' with Fire Cured Cavendish and Syrian Latakia added." Blend "X" was comprised of "Golden, Yellow Virginia, light brown large leaf Burley, Monopoly Turkish, [and] a touch of Flue Cured Cavendish and Syrian Latakia." Oddly, Golden Shag had less gold-coloring than Blend "X." But what's in a name? The current incarnation of Golden Shag describes it as "Close to Bishop’s Move, but with a bit less Latakia," but strangely also adds "Perique and Turkish tobaccos," neither of which are listed in the ingredients for Bishop's Move. For my part, I don't see much direct overlap between the blends, save that the two are the fullest blends in terms of quantity of Latakia offered in the Uhle's lineup.

In Golden Shag, the Latakia and Turkish are up front, with the Perique's pepper and a burnt caramel sweetness from what I suspect is Fire Cured Cavendish (i.e. the "subtle sweetness" mentioned above) occupying second place. Uhle's signature nutty Burley is apparent around the edges. Like all Uhle blends, the strength in terms of nicotine is fairly low (although I find Golden Shag to be at the upper end of the spectrum), while the taste inclines more toward the full side.

Golden Shag is technically an American English--but more an American of the Colonial period, with a decidedly British manner of speaking.

smokerings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokerings (1)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Here is a nice body of smooth, naturally sweet tobacco leaf wrapped securely the perfume and spice of the condiment tobaccos, Turkish, Latakia, and Perique -- the perique being subtle. It leaves a sweet, mildly spicy taste on my tongue.

The blend has a small cut with little moisture. It burns well and smokes evenly. I enjoy the room note so much that I don't hesitate to smoke it before company arrives.

It's a little rich to be an all-day smoke for my taste. I enjoy it on a walk, or when sitting to ponder. For those who wish to inhale, this is smooth for me and the nicotine level seems moderate.

All-around, a really nice experience. Go for it.

Pipe Used: briars: Stanwell & Shalom

Age When Smoked: One month in pouch

Purchased From: Uhle's

Similar Blends: Bishop's Move.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I enjoy this as much as I enjoy Uhles Bishop's Move. Slightly different and just as delicious. Always consistent and well worth your while if you enjoy blends with a fair amount of Latakia. A very smooth, tasty, satifying smoke. One of my favorites.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (77)

The genius of the blend is that it really does seem to have a little of everything and yet the balance IMHO couldn't be any better. The overall impression is somewhat like that of Revelation but Golden Shag goes way beyond that in overall quality. The turkish base for me is at the leading edge of the flavor with just enough latakia to help. The other leaf (Uhles website lists black cav, perique and VA) keep up keeps up so that, at least for me, I am always tasting the mixture of flavor. The end result is indescribable. Kinda "englishy", kinda "spicy" yet naturally sweet. Packs, lights and burns very well. A great smoke for a more contemplative session, yet needs minimal attention. Smokes cool and dry. I am finding at the end it just goes out and when I empty my pipe light grey ash drops out with no dottle. This is a keeper, from a small blender known for outstanding quality and attention to detail.

A nice smoke. Starts with a good taste of Turkish shortly followed by the Virginias with the Lat in the background. The Lat catches up about the halfway point and the background starts giving hints of the Burley and Perique. A pleasant smoke with a nice evolution.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. No added flavoring. Excellent burn.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Purchased From: uhles.com

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (88)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Billed as the lighter Bishop's Move, this English had a sweeter mustier smell in the jar, but it certainly retained that sharp latakia overtone. It lit up with an acrid bite and some light spice. It was tangier than I remember Bishop's Move being, and not in a good way.

Some relights later, midway through the bowl, the bite subsided and the more familiar English became the star player again. The nicotine was always present.

I'm glad I tried it, but would likely never buy it over Bishop's Move.

Purchased From: Uhle's

When I purchased some Uhle's tobacco a few years back, I ordered the Golden Shag thinking I was going to get either one of their exceptional burleys or a shag cut Virginia, which is not often seen. Instead, I got a so-so Virginia/Burley combination with Perique. Not a bad smoke and crazy to look at in the tin. I guess Uhle's went to a meat market and stole somebody's beef shredder. Anyway, not bad stuff but not really my cup of tea.

Pipestud

NorthwoodsSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoker (8)

I started smoking this when it was a little too warm for blend 232. It wasn't what I had expected but was good in its own right. It packs and lights easily. I found that it had a somewhat sweet earthy taste to it. It was a bit milder than I had expected as well. For me it's not the best offering from Uhle's but it's a good smoke for a change of pace.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Here's one I've been smoking rather a bit of lately, and very much enjoying it too!

It is not an uncommon type of blend: a bit of everything...the above description says it all. Much like Revelation, Kentucky Club Mixture, and others which I haven't sampled yet. It is a difficult review to write because there is no one thing to point to, to give as an example of it's wonderful nature. It's base is a soft, mild tasty Burley; it holds down the fort, so to speak. Everything else is just there: slightly sweet virginias, the merest whiff of Latakia, and a pleasant, complementary flavour. Someplace in the Uhle's literature I believe it's mentioned that perique is added too. As usual, if it's not added in "Escudo" proportions, I can't positively identify it. Oh well.

Bottom line. An old style American blend. Very good tasting. Compelling aroma to the smoker and bystander. It's not a powerhouse, but rather it's a wonderful, natural, easy-to-smoke,all day mixture. So far, that pretty much sums up my experience with all of the Uhle's blends.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I liked this one quite a bit. Based on the components and the manufacturer, I fully expected a revelation type of blend with burley being a stronger component, which I am sure would be fine, but instead I was treated to a blend led by the Virginias to my tastes.

All the other components did show up and the burley was more than apparent providing much nuttiness. The Latakia was very light to my tastes as was the oriental component. The perique was not very strong in feel but did contribute a bit of spice and dried fruit to the mix.

This one is good and may be another on the heap of my next Uhle's purchase. recommended for something different to the Balkan or Virginia smoker.