A wonderful combination of just about everything! Golden Virginia, light brown large leaf burley, Monopoly Turkish, a touch of flue cured Cavendish, and Syrian Latakia.

BrandUhle's
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.4
Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I enjoy this as much as I enjoy Uhles Bishop's Move. Slightly different and just as delicious. Always consistent and well worth your while if you enjoy blends with a fair amount of Latakia. A very smooth, tasty, satifying smoke. One of my favorites.

NorthwoodsSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoker (8)

I started smoking this when it was a little too warm for blend 232. It wasn't what I had expected but was good in its own right. It packs and lights easily. I found that it had a somewhat sweet earthy taste to it. It was a bit milder than I had expected as well. For me it's not the best offering from Uhle's but it's a good smoke for a change of pace.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

The genius of the blend is that it really does seem to have a little of everything and yet the balance IMHO couldn't be any better. The overall impression is somewhat like that of Revelation but Golden Shag goes way beyond that in overall quality. The turkish base for me is at the leading edge of the flavor with just enough latakia to help. The other leaf (Uhles website lists black cav, perique and VA) keep up keeps up so that, at least for me, I am always tasting the mixture of flavor. The end result is indescribable. Kinda "englishy", kinda "spicy" yet naturally sweet. Packs, lights and burns very well. A great smoke for a more contemplative session, yet needs minimal attention. Smokes cool and dry. I am finding at the end it just goes out and when I empty my pipe light grey ash drops out with no dottle. This is a keeper, from a small blender known for outstanding quality and attention to detail.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

This one reminds me of Blend #71, but with the addition of Turkish Monopoly and a bit more latakia. It is somewhat richer in taste due to the Turkish, and with more latakia strength it approaches the taste of a mild to medium English/Balkan blend. This is coarser in cut than the Blend #71 and is also a dry tobacco, which is normal for these blends, so little moisture is generated. I really enjoy this tobacco when I want the taste of Turkish and latakia but in somewhat lesser quantities than a full English or Balkan blend. I should point out that it is stated in Uhle's description of this tobacco that it is Blend X with latakia added. This is not entirely correct. You will note that Blend X also lists latakia as an ingredient, and Blend X is listed as an aromatic tobacco. According to Jim at Uhle's, Blend X was originally a non-aromatic blend of burley, virginia, Turkish, and flue-cured cavendish. It was changed to include a condiment amount of latakia along with an aromatic flavoring. Golden Shag, therefore, is the OLD version of X with the addition of fire-cured cavendish and latakia and contains no aromatic agents.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Here's one I've been smoking rather a bit of lately, and very much enjoying it too!

It is not an uncommon type of blend: a bit of everything...the above description says it all. Much like Revelation, Kentucky Club Mixture, and others which I haven't sampled yet. It is a difficult review to write because there is no one thing to point to, to give as an example of it's wonderful nature. It's base is a soft, mild tasty Burley; it holds down the fort, so to speak. Everything else is just there: slightly sweet virginias, the merest whiff of Latakia, and a pleasant, complementary flavour. Someplace in the Uhle's literature I believe it's mentioned that perique is added too. As usual, if it's not added in "Escudo" proportions, I can't positively identify it. Oh well.

Bottom line. An old style American blend. Very good tasting. Compelling aroma to the smoker and bystander. It's not a powerhouse, but rather it's a wonderful, natural, easy-to-smoke,all day mixture. So far, that pretty much sums up my experience with all of the Uhle's blends.