Rich Burley with a touch of toasted Black Cavendish, slightly aromatic.

BrandNat Sherman
ContentsBurley, Black Cavendish
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.9
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I am an english smoker, my interest was arroused by the reviews of this blend. Unfortunately, this blend was no longer available retail. Then, as fate would have it, a single tin showed up on e-bay - I bid on it and won. Everything that other reviewers had said, I verified: beautiful tin art, well-sealed, very damp and the folded paper liner absolutely stained a dark umber brown color. I dried-out a portion overnight on a sheet of paper. It dried easily, verifying reviewer Pipestud's observation that the casing(s) were natural; i.e., water-based. The next morning I loaded-up and lit-up. The initial impression was of a rather moderately cased tobacco with a taste somewhat like raisins or even plums. I liked it. The first quarter of the bowl was pleasant - mildly fruity but solidly tobacco- flavored with that typical nutty flavor of burley.

Then things began to change. In the second fourth of the bowl I began to get tongue bite. I tried to slow my pace down, but to no avail. I set the pipe down and let it cool for a period of time before relighting. More tongue bite but still a pleasant nutty burley flavor. I finished this bowl and a couple more after that - same results. I then followed in the footsteps of brother Brizzi's advice: I grabbed a tin of latakia blending mixture that I had open and mixed it 2 parts 307 to 1 part lbm. This gave a mild english flavor to the blend; however, still tongue bite. I then mixed the next batch 1-to-1. This gave me a beautiful english blend that I really enjoyed. However; more tongue bite at about the mid-bowl point. I gave the tin away to somebody else for their use telling them that this was a nice tobacco that I simply could not smoke due to it's high burley content.

I'm not one to kick a blend around just because its not for me. This is a high quality blend made carefully with quality tobaccos that has a high degree of enjoyment potential - just not for me. Three stars for flavor but two stars for smokeability.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very fine tobacco, in that smokey sweet tradition of American Cavendish aromatics. It is velvety smooth, has a relatively slow burning rate, rather moist and fresh, producing a mellow and welcoming room aroma. The craftsmanship of this blend is notable and the components used are of such nature, that the after taste does not linger on the pipe.

Basically a Burley blend with toasted Black Cavendish, the quality of the leaf used and the saucing of the Cavendish (a kind of vanilla taste, without being particularly pungent) give this blend a peculiar depth. Not extremely sweet or enervating, it leads to a peaceful and friendly smoke, that most people seem to enjoy. More or less on the same lines of vanilla- aromatic tobaccos, the benevolence with which this tobacco has been blended, set it aside in terms of quality and sobriety.

Think of this as a high quality version of Captain Black white label, less than half as sweet and far more smooth. Relaxing.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Made a special trip to Melbourne recently and came across a little tobacco shop where I bought this satisfying mixture. Upon opening the tin the sweet aroma of quality tobacco with a whiff of brandy fruit cake and a hint of cinnamon hit me in a way that good tobacco should. Other friends detected floral smell but I was not on board there! It is a very moist blend, in fact the big cupcake holder that holds the bakky in the tin was moisture stained. Maybe not a bad thing but I would recommend some airing prior to smoking to get the most from it (bit of a suck it and see method for how long). Having said that, no sooner had I opened the tin and I had my Savinelli loaded and on my way. Probably the sweetest aromatic mix I've had thus far but not sickly sweet. After the first couple of tokes I thought you could smoke this all day long as strength is suited to do so. The flavor is amazing and the comments on the room note were favorable too, very wife friendly. Although moist it smoked all the way the bottom of the bowl without a re-light or any moisture residue. Very impressive tobacco which will play a part in my regular aromatic rotation. Love the art deco tin. Update: Feb 7 2011 with further aging this tobacco seems to be taking on a lovely taste of hazelnut, reminds me of Frangelico liquor. nice!

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The thing that impresses me about the long-standing, tried and true Nat Sherman line is that they always deliver quality tobacco products. #307 is right up there with the rest. It is truly a very natural Burley/Black Cavendish combination that is sure to please those who enjoy lighter, delicately cased fare.

It is a very wet tobacco that I would not even try to smoke without drying considerably. It did dry out quickly (an indication of a natural casing I could not identify), and although broad cut in nature, packed quite well and burned evenly. The stronger Burley presence was delightful and reeked of quality and the enhanced cavendish added a sweetness that I think may have been vanilla. It did not burn hot but did leave a little moisture in the bottom of the bowl.

Although a bit off topic, I did pick up some Nat Sherman cigars along with the #307 and they were delicious too.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I picked up a tin of 307 on a whim while I was perusing the tins at my local B&M. Being from North Jersey originally, I get nostalgic seeing the beautiful tins with the Manhatten skyline on them. Having been to the Nat Sherman store in NY I can say it really is the pinnacle of tobacconists! 307 is a black Cavendish with Burley and very high quality. The paper that contains the tobacco was stained with topping and the tobac was sticky but the fact that it does dry out and has nice flavors leads me to believe they left out the PG and used high quality tobacco. This makes a marvelous blender but smokes like a dream by itself also... Vanilla Black Cavendish blends are a dime a dozen but when done well like Nat Sherman does, it really becomes a treat!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

I've rewritten my review of this marvelous aromatic. My first tin was good and my initial review reflected that.

I ordered 9 more tins from Pipes and Cigars and was pleasantly surprised. The blend was about 50% drier out of the tin than the first and needed no drying time. There was a lot less black cavendish, which meant that the casing was cut back by a third to about 20%. I can taste the wonderful burley with the vanilla-rum casing in the background.

I would rate this a Hall of Famer and the best aromatic out there.

Update: I'm lowering my rating to three stars as the amount of effort in drying out this blend diminishes my enjoyment.

Update 2: I've found that adding 3-4% of perique adds a lot of flavor and improves the burning qualities.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is soaking wet,tin smells like vanilla or rum.The aromatic taste seems like a cedar taste or it was aged in a rum barrel but the barrel is what stands out in the smoke.After you get past the aromatics the tobacco is nice full mellow burley and a little peppery tasting on the end.Lights good Burns good No tongue bite,I like smoking this at night.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Although I normally smoke VA or VA/Perique flakes, this is one of the better aromatics that I've recently tried. The dark brown to jet black wide ribbons were too moist from the tin and smoked wet. They stained the white tin liner dark brown in many areas. They smelled very sweet ~ vanilla from the tin but this decreased with several days of drying and resulted in a better smoke with much less condensation. With the drying the smoking, lighting and packing properties also improved to the point that I could recommend your trial. The nutty Burley is nicely balanced with the cased Balck Cavendish. However, this blend is very mild and I would only choose it more for the benefit of the room aroma on the few occasions that I can smoke socially. 307 is a giant step in quality above the drug store aromatics.