A classic Burley blend with a touch of Latakia and Perique to add zest plus stoved red Virginia for sweetness.

Notes: Discontinued Blend.

2.3
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (29)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is always strange to review a limited-production blend that is no longer being made, as you know that not very many people will be smoking it and not that many people will be reading your review, but here goes. I bought this tin on e-bay at a higher price than I normally pay ($15.50) based mainly on the wonderful tin art. I subsequently put it on my table for sale at the 2013 NASPC show at a fifty-cent loss price, but no one paid any attention to it. I took it with me to the 2014 St. Louis show and put it out on my table at $10.00 - no one paid any attention to it! So, I took it home and decided to open it at my first opportunity.

I don't have that much experience with burley-based blends, so I didn't quite know what to expect as I popped the top. Hmm - a blend that was uniformly solid tobacco brown in color - none of the varigation mentioned by another reviewer. The cut was interesting - mostly thicker short strands with a portion of rolled-up ball-like components that seemed, to my touch, wetter than the strands. The aroma was wonderful with a sort of mild sourness overlaying the normal tobacco aromas. I thought "this is going to be interesting". It wasn't. The taste and smoke aroma of this blend were weak and somewhat thin and I didn't understand it. I puffed and I puffed but just a weak and thin smoke - not at all the burley lion I imagined it was going to be. In this aspect, I seem to be in total agreement with the other three reviewers - not a bad blend, just a weak blend. That's why I'm rating it two stars.

Now for the part that saves this blend. I am an english microblender and I discovered that Rocking Chair worked beautifully in the blending process, giving my little blends a wonderful burley component to their aromas that was truly enjoyable. RC has caused me to think about using other burley-based blends in microblending and, if I ever get another chance to buy more tins of it - I will.

And, oh, to Backwoods Piper's question about the qualities of an aged tin; zip - the additional years didn't improve on the blend's weakness and thin taste at all.

Pipe Used: Jacono four-square saddle-bit billiard

Age When Smoked: 12 yrs. old

Purchased From: an internet seller in 2013

Similar Blends: I agree with Kilmarnock Piper that it is somewhat like an exotique Prince Albert!.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a somewhat bland American-English mixture that is, sadly, a pale shadow of C&D's blends in this category. It's not at all bad, but it simply has very little in the way of flavor. Morley's Best, Old Hollywood, and Walter Franklin are far superior products and two of them are available in bulk.

Well, I will never be converted to burley, but Cornell & Diehl comes the closest. Had a well-aged bowl with a cheap Merlot tonight, and the bitterness and down-home rustic nature of this blend hit the spot. Can't say I love it, like I love Sunday Picnic, but I will enjoy my tin as a change-up smoke. The Latakia and Perique are in the background, as is the Virginia-burley predominates. I would stick to Virginias, but C&D makes such interesting burley blends that I can't resist-and you can't beat the tin art. However, this one does not seem to be their most interesting burley blend. Oh yes-despite the bitter/stale nut taste of the burley, this smokes clean and smooth.

1-18-10 Had a big bowl of this today. Burley, burley, burley! As to Backwoods Piper below wanting to know what an aged tin tastes like, my tin is seven years old. It tastes like burley. Seems a bit age-mellowed, but then I have never had a fresh tin of this one. It is higher quality than PA, but not by too much, considering that is five times the price. For my next bowl, I am going to wash out my mouth with a nice sweet Virginia.

4-20-10 Finishing the tin. I still feel pretty much the same about it, but nevertheless am upgrading to three stars. The quality is there, it's just not my favorite style of tobacco.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I am writing this review while smoking my first bowlful of this blend. This is my first experience with Cornell & Diehl tobaccos. I have heard and read so many good things about C&D I had to give them a try.

I have never been a big fan of straight non topped or non cased burly blends. This one however is ok. Upon opening the tin I was quite happy with the aroma of Latakia and Perique. Visually it was easy to discern its a predominantly burly tobacco with some added kicks. Colors ranging from almost black to dark and predominantly light browns with a faint haze of red. The light up of this blend is very easy, humidity just right. It burns well with volumes of smoke. The flavor however at first impression is a bit flat relative to the tin aroma. Upon the finish it seems almost mild cigar like. It burned to a nice mottled grey ash. The room note was pleasant to me and probably tolerable to most.

I am looking forward to subsequent bowls of this blend. I just received an order of new cobs and think this blend may fare well to a dedicated cobb. I will definitely update this review and try a few more C&D favorites!

Update.....................

I have smoked a third of this tin.....its taken a while. I guess this blend is not for me. This blend is a burly that just doesn't satisfy. Every bowlful has left me hangin. I keep expecting more flavor and it just never delivers. It must be smoked slower like a good English. When smoked too fast it just gets hot and tastes rather sour but when sipped never delivers the satisfaction I am looking for from slow smoking relaxation blend. I have given this one a whirl in a Cob, nicely caked Savinelli Brier (dedicated to English blends) and my Danish Freehand and experienced the same results.

In summary, its not poor enough to give or throw away but I don't see myself buying this blend again or making it part of my rotation. Perhaps a good aging would help this blend out. If anyone tries I would enjoy seeing your summary and review of the aged version.