The medium tobacco of Paul Olsen's eminent triad: Garrick, 800, Blue Queen. It contains 60% Latakia (Garrick 40%, Blue Queen 40%), two types of Virginia, Black Cavendish, Kentucky and 5% Perique (Garrick also 5%, Blue Queen's 15% Perique making it the strongest of the three).

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByMichael Mortensen
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Adam S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam S (6)

I came across this tobacco during my visit to Danish Pipeshop in Copenhagen. The smell of the tobacco from the tin is dominated by latakia. On the visual side it is rather dark with couple of brown and yellow stripes of tobacco. It packs easily and so it lights. The taste is just great. Beautiful balance of different leafs gives you full taste. You can enjoy strong latakia taste in this bland without being overriding. The taste is round and does not change much through the bowl, which is a good thing since its so fine. It burns down to nice ash without any problems and leaves you pipe dry. There is absolutely no tongue bite, which can appear when smoking mixtures with higher percentage of latakia. Sometimes it reminded me of Balck Mallory accept for this one is much much better. For me it is ideal middle of the day latakia, just when you want something tastier, but nothing overwhelming.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The medium type of the triad garrick - 800 Ø - Blue Queen. The "next stop" for the traditional English mixture smoker. A good, medium tobacco, a lot of body and taste of Latakia (60%).

Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Paul Olsen - No. 800 (My Own Blend).

The tin contains a blend that's mostly dark, with a lesser amount of light flecks. As I always say when reviewing one from M.O.B., the moisture's spot on. The ribbons aren't too fine, or shag like, they're quite coarse.

To be honest, to my palate, it's a better flavour for the first part of a bowl. Initially I get the Latakia running things: woody and smoky. But then, I find the Kentucky kicks in and fills out the taste: it becomes pretty full, to me! The Perique gives a nice touch of life to the smoke: it's not overly spicy, but there's a slight plummy quality present. The Black Cavendish brings some vanilla to the mix, and this does a nice job of abating any aggression that comes from the other stronger leaves. I struggle to identify any Virginia, but this is often an issue for me where strong English or Balkan type blends are concerned.

Now, this is a good blend, and I know lots of guys will love it, but it's a bit too much to get a full house from my point of view. Still, it warrants three stars!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Toscana

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop.

Thanks to StevieB for sending this in a trade.

This is an interesting take on an English blend. For me, it's a tale of two halves. In the first half the Latakia dominates with smokiness and a fairly strong woody note. There is also a bit of sweetness from what, I assume, is a combo of the BC and Virginias. In the second half the woodiness fades and is replaced by an earthiness. I credit that to the Kentucky showing itself. This is accompanied by a plum note and spice from the Perique. A fairly complex smoke. I would give this 4 stars if not for that fairly strong woodiness in the first half. That part isn't much to my liking. I do love the second half though. This is a nice blend.

Medium in body. Medium to full in taste. No added flavorings detected. Burns very well. Nice choice, Steve.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain