This is a blend of coarse cut sweet red Virginia, bright broad cut Virginia, broken Virginia flake and sweet black cavendish. Two toppings are used, black currants treated with Bacardi and coco cream, resulting in a wonderful tin and room aroma.

BrandSolani
Strength
Taste

2.5
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The sweet, dark fruit notes from the red Virginia are often noticeable in a minor way. The other Virginias barely show themselves. The black cavendish is vanilla smooth and always makes itself known to various degrees during the smoke. The very sweet toppings mostly sublimate the tobaccos. The sweet black currant is lightly tart with a deep berry flavor, and is the star flavor. The coco cream offers some creamy coconut and a minuscule cocoa hit. The rum is a minor player, not always very obvious, but you feel its presence. Burns at a little less than a moderate rate, and requires some relights, but the taste holds up all the way through without weakening. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. I recommend sipping it for best effect, and also because puffing fast will make it a little hot on your tongue, though I experienced no tongue bite. Has a very pleasing, lingering after taste, although there is a distracting feel of syrupiness at times, mostly around the half way point to the finish. It doesn’t spoil the smoke, though it is just a little annoying. Has a mild nic-hit and is just shy of being n all day smoke.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Solani Sweet Mystery X is a quality full aromatic, providing a mix of fruit (not distinguishable to me), alcoholic notes, hints of coconut and the taste of Virginia of course. Down half way I additionally get the impression of cinnamon. The wide cut works fine in larger, wider bowls. Easy handling and no bite at proper cadence. I find it satisfying enough for the morning hours, as a lighter dessert and also enjoyable using a charcoal filter. The room note is described as very pleasant to me, however, I don’t smoke to please others… .

A good and recommendable (not outstanding) aromatic in the line of many others. Very similar to the Winslow line (maybe also Reiner Professional or Peterson Connoisseur’s Choice in strength and fruitiness).

Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I received a free sample of this Solani blend with a recent tobacco order. It smelled wonderful and sweet through the pouch.The golden and black leaf was coarse cut and moist. Upon lighting up, the smoking experience was also, well, to my surprise, wonderful! The blend smoked cool and actually very dry for an aromatic. My wife absolutely loved the room note and the lingering smell on my mustache - Now that I reflect, perhaps I need to buy more of this stuff! (-;

Cultured Explorer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cultured Explorer (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While I don't doubt that this blend is an excellent experience for some people, it wasn't at all for me, and I therefor can't give it any stars of recommendation. The interaction between the tobacco and the flavoring kind of reminded me of Lipton's raspberry iced tea. And while there are lots of people who love Lipton's raspberry iced tea, it is one of the few things that I absolutely will not consume-- it will literally make me throw up, eventually. So, if we share similar tastes in tea, we may share similar tastes in tobacco, and you too may not be able to finish an entire bowl of this. Hopefully this is the only blend that I will ever not be able to finish an entire bowl of due to flavor alone.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Reminiscent of Peterson Sunset Breeze, Larsen Signature and Stanwell Melange. Fruity (black currant, which is somewhat plum-like, and I taste apricot too), with some coconut. The mystery note is rose, very lightly done. The tobacco taste does shine through but only on large puffs. The room note is of baked confectionary -- this is the kind of aroma non-smokers find delicious. I would have given another star if less bitey.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If our beloved government know how good this stuff is they would either ban it outright or tax it ten fold.

I didn't taste the rum or coco cream but the currant flavors came through very nicely. The flavoring was perfectly applied by the blenders - it didn't overwhelm the tobacco taste and it didn't fade away in the course of smoking the bowl. It was sweet without being cloying. Great stuff!!!!

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (152)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This evening I found my self in a nice cafe with view of Akropolis and 2 other co smokers enjoying the view and smoking some aromatic blends as we are entering Christmas mood.one co smoker brought this blend and shared a few bowls with me.once i stuck my nose in the tin i thought am i in a bar??a nice and tense smell of rum and coconut came out.a deeper smelling revealed me some cocoa nuts too.the blend moisture was a bit more than medium but no drying time was needed.packs and lights ok.some relights are needed.while smoking the rum topping was dominant from the beggining till the end with some creamy notes escorting it.the tobacco flavours are very sublimated by the topping and come out less than i desired.the virginias give mostly some dark fruits and sour notes.rarelly i got some citrusy notes.the cavendish appear more being mostly sweet and a bit nutty.the flavours don't feel always natural and in my opinion they don't combine well.burns fast ,medium hot to hot with a lot moisture being created.the nιcotine level is low to medium but i cannot consider it as an all day smoke due to the tense topping and the bad aftertaste.the room note is pleasant and no tongue bite appeared.the worst thing about this blend is that one bowl is enough to ghost the pipe.in conclusion i could smoke one or two bowls per week on evening hours with a cup of jot coffee.

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Recently I got hold of 2 tins of Solani sweet mystery dated 8/11 still packed and unopened. Since I use temper with the flake cuter I inserted the round edge of cuter into the coin insert of one of the tin and it woosh opened means vacuum pack was intact and contents still fresh. The top white round cover was stained brown due to long term compressed with the tobacco. I brought the tin to my nose and boy I can smell sweet cocoa coconut creamy and liquorish smell but it was very very pleasant. I immediately filled my nose warmer pipe with the sweet mystery and did the charing light... Oh man that burst of flavors specially the cocoa and coconut captured the whole room it lit very easy and on the second light I was puffing like a train and cocoa turn to more into coconut and cream and after few minutes I feel like chewing my pipe stem for that creamy coconut taste which is my favorite. I really enjoyed smoking this blend more over I left that pipe for two days after smoking this and I can still smell the sweetness. Overall a very good experience and I definitely recommends this for aromatic smokers out there.

Age When Smoked: 6 years of age

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

"Blackcurrant, Cocoa / Chocolate, Rum" with that kind of description I'm all in but but having now finished the tin I can honestly say I did feel it. Pleasant aroma in the can but not so pleasant of a room note.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 Hercules

TheAdversary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheAdversary (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Upon opening this tin I had high hopes for this blend. Good cut and color, intriguing tin note, a well regarded brand, I loved their aged burley flake blend 656. I believe I am a well rounded pipe smoker, 50/50 aros and non-aros, and I'll try just about anything once.

IMHO this stuff was crap. Tasteless, impossible to keep lit even when fairly dry, room note was almost nonexistent (sez the better half who likes the smell of Dunhill 965, Momoyama II, as well as Hobbits Weed and Red Sky), so I trust her implicitly in this.

The only redeeming factor was the lack of tongue bite, but if that is the only good thing you can say about a blend you might as well dump it in the trash, which I did, only keeping the tin because I always have uses for empty tins. Don't waste your hard earned money on this loser. If you want a complex smooth fruity aro get some Hobbits Weed and don't look back.

Pipe Used: Jorgen Nielsen bent billiard

Similar Blends: Hot air.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)

Sometimes I have the impression that I give a lot of dedication to the tobacco I don´t "understand", or the one which I don´t like, more than the one I like the most (which is given for granted will always please me), always doing this with the aim to find the breaking point where I can understand or like it. This happened with Sweet Mystery with no chance for reconciliation.

I opened the can, the smell was fantastic, sweet and at least intriguing, i wouldn´t dare to say mysterious, fruity, rum like, peachy, but after that the factual test of smoking that dissaproved the initial impression.

Rum and vanilla notes are noticeable with variable accents of undetermined fruit flavour, peach? currant? and even though the initial quarter of the bowl remains palatable and indulging, then the ordeal of the "ashy" and "goopy" kingdom starts to proliferate and you have to fight with it via slowing down the intake or driving the smoke into a different portion of the mouth. But nevermind, it will always return, granting this sensation of ash taste as contour of the flavours. It´s not pleasant at all.

The liquor notes tend to accent from the middle on and remain prevalent. It has a great room aroma though, the kind that people will admire, but hey, even if we can please others that is not enough if what we are smoking is not really pleasing us. That being said, after several months rotating this can, giving a try in different places, at different times of the day with different weather in different pipes i came to the conclusion that I wouldn´t buy another. Something to notice, even if this tobacco burns easily it tends to be goopy and oily after smoked, leaving your pipe filled with greasy tar and nauseus smell, not the kind that after smoked leaves your pipe perfumed with fragrance that is pleasant to smell.

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)

In the tin. Sweet mystery is very heavily fragrant. Almost perfume-like. I do get the impression of currents. A fairly sour, sweet, and bitter berry scent. The cut is all over the map but it doesn't hurt or help the mixture in any noticeable way.

This smoked a bit warm and had a bit more bite to it than one would expect for a premium tinned aromatic. On the other hand. It otherwise performs well. Easy to light. Maybe one relight which is acceptable and dry smoking. It smokes a commendable forty to fifty minutes. Where everything really falls apart is in the taste.

The taste of sweet mystery is bitter and immediately ashy. It also has a very undesirable flavor in there that I have yet to really find the words to describe. I can only say that the only other blend I have experienced this in is Brebbia Sinfonia but that blend is far worse than Solani X. No complexity or tobacco flavor. Just bitterness, ash, and an unpleasant note that I would consider to be the "mystery" in sweet mystery but not in a good way. Then a light generic sweetness that coats your mouth throughout the smoking experience.

The room note was acceptable but not anything special. A fairly generic sweetness like that of the taste. Some of that unpleasant mystery note makes it's way into the room note but it's not as displeasing at this stage. Though the smoke does burn the nose a lot more than almost all aromatics out there.

Solani X Sweet Mystery is a book that should not be judged by it's cover. Despite the premium presentation. This is a mystery that should be at least looked into. Yet I don't doubt that the majority of those who give it the old college try won't stay around long enough to see the mystery solved.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

First off, I am not a real fan of heavily flavored aromatics, that said, this tobacco is one reason I got away from stuff like this when I first started pipe smoking 40 some odd years ago. This tobacco would do the beginner justice for about one bowl, then after the nice room note faded, your left with that sickly sweet taste. Yuck. If you like tobacco to taste something other than tobacco then this is for you. For me, the strong flavoring of black currents, cherries, etc., was too much. As usual, it has a great smell, but tastes like hell. I wouldn't even give this away...it's straight to the trash.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)

This smells extremely similar to Petersons Sunset Breeze but with an added kind of plum scent. It's a bit deeper than Petersons and the tobacco was more moist in the tin but they are extremely similar. It has a mild taste...a pleasant room note. It did not taste sweet though some of the plum came through at times. I would probably not buy again and instead go for another plum cake...or aged cake aromatic in search of better taste.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

(4-16-03) I decided to buy the 100g tins rather than the 50g tins for two reasons. First the cost savings is considerable and the 100g tins are designed as collector tins. The aroma upon opening the tin is sweet, very sweet, yet it's also wonderful in a way. I like it, yet it may be too much for some. It's a very course cut blend which is about 1/3 dark tobaccy, 1/3 med. brown and 1/3 yellowish/tan in color. It claims to be topped with Black Currants treated with Bacardi and Coco Cream. I do not detect either. For me, the prominent aroma is that of ripe sweet prunes and raisins. It's far too moist for my liking so what I've been doing with this blend is packing a pipe full and then just letting it sit for 4 to 6 hours before I smoke it. At first I let it sit for about 2 hours but it's not long enough. Six hours seems perfect for me. After sitting out for the time specified, it fires up easily and burns nicely from top to bottom with very little maintenance. The flavors are sweet, all the way, from top to bottom, getting slightly spicer and richer after the half way point. I still cannot define the flavor properly, as it seem a bit different from pipe to pipe. Sweet Mystery was a well thought out name for this blend. I will say that from time to time, I do pick up notes of Coco and berry and what seems to be white grape, for lack of a better description. This tobaccy has grown on me over a short period of time. I really enjoy it! Highly Recommended for those of you who enjoy quality aromatics and for a quality change of pace for others. THIS IS GOOD STUFF!