An exceptionally smooth crumble cake of Virginias, the personal blend of Peter Heeschen, the well-known Danish pipe maker.

Notes: From C&D's website:
An exceptionally smooth mixture of Virginias and Burley, and the personal blend of well-known Danish pipe maker Peter Heeschen. Pressed into an old fashioned crumble cake.

Blended ByPeter Heeschen
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

3.1

This blend finds itself, to my tastes anyway, somewhere between a straight Va ala Union Square or Dunhill Flake and an aromatic VA such as Davidoff's Danish Mixture. The problem for me is that I would rather reach for any of the aforementioned blends before I reach for this one.

It is something about the flavoring used in this blend that I do not find to my particular tastes. That said the flavoring is light and gets lighter with some age. My tin dated from 12/12/12 and I opened it within a month of that date. My first impressions were much less favorable than the later ones.

The tin presentation is fantastic. The Kake was almost a perfect cube. Although I didn't do a thorough inspection, I don't believe there was any little pieces separated from the cube. My first thoughts were it would be hard to crumble, but was I wrong. A simple pinch into the kake made a beautiful crumble of tobacco that needed very little rubbing to make it smokable.

Like nearly all C & D blends that I ahve tried the moisture level was perfect from the get go. As I said earlier the initial smoking impression was not impressive. I found the topping to overtake the underlying Va's which would be fine if I enjoyed that particular topping; otherwise, the smoking characteristics and nicotine were perfect.

As time wore (It lasted me until last night so a little over 7 months)on and my block got smaller this got better. The topping seemed to dissipate with a little air time and the vas came more to the front and what I tasted was a great Va. Even the DGT got better with time, as my earlier notes stated that the DGT was no unlike a burley blend, but later I had some sublime results with a dgt.

Overall, I think this blend has the potential to be fantastic with some age and I will likely repurchase for that purpose alone.

7/29/13 Update I thought it important to share some information that developed after I copied this review to PSF. It started a conversation about how this was treated which manifiested itself in an email to C & D. Chris Tarler responded back that there was no topping on this blend, but that there was a little Burley in it. Apparently it is the pressing of this blend with the burleys that gives it its unique flavor. FWIW, I thought I would share.

Krumble Kakes are fun! This one was easy to work with - I simply pinched the cake between thumb and forefinger and a pinch of tobacco came off easily. I loaded as I would load a ribbon cut tobacco.

It's interesting how different smokers tastebuds are different. Unlike some smokers, I found nary a trace of sweetness in this blend. It was a rich, robust red VA flavor but it seemed tempered with burley, as it was more earthy. Not sure how they accomplished that with just VA's. This is the cigarette/cigar of pipe tobaccos, not because it tastes like one but because it had a similar mouth feel. It would be a high quality cigarette like the old Sobranies (without the condiment tobaccos, of course) or a mild, thin-guaged cigar, such as a panatela. As the bowl progressed, the flavor became richer and more cigar-like. This was like no other virginia blend I've ever smoked, and at the right times, it was fantastic. I don't see this in my regular rotation but it would make a nice occasional companion. This would smoke great outside in the fall, as the richness of the flavor would be subtly subdued. Interesting, unique blend. Try it if you think you know virginia. It may surprise you as it did me!

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Lies! Lies I tell you! This is no straight virginia. There is plenty of burley here. Granted it is good burley that C&D is known for, but the virginia flavor is well surpassed by the burleys here. Definite nuttiness and cocoa predominate the flavor profile. This is probably great for burley lovers, which I am not one. I just checked the C&D website which confirms my burley suspicions. Updating the description as of today on this site to reflect true contents.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 63

Purchased From: sp

rougarou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rougarou (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A crumble cake that crumbles easily, packs easily and burns just as easy. I believe there is a touch of burley in this blend which tames the Virginias (no bite) and adds a bit of earthiness to the smoke. Nothing to shout about, but nothing to shake a stick at either. A fine, relaxing smoke that doesn't take my mind off whatever I'm doing, be it watching old episodes of Gunsmoke and anticipating Marshall Dillon's next move, or simply relaxing in the shade soaking up the serenity of a lazy summer afternoon.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 14 mos.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I've smoked through a half ounce of this and expected to like it much more than I actually did.

Bonus points for being a crumble cake. It smells good, somewhat reminiscent of Jack Knife Plug.

I think DK nailed it with the 'cigarette or cigar' mouthfeel. Unlike him, I think that also comes through in the taste. It's earthy to a fault. I'm not one for super sweet VA blends, but this is lacking in not only sweetness, but also in zestiness and that nice pungent tanginess that I really like in VAs. Instead, there is earthiness in spades. I think that the burley component is pretty significant here. I started smoking it and didn't care for it, but could understand how a particular type of smoker could smolder this all day. Then the halfway point came, and it just kept getting harsher and harsher. Maybe age would smooth out these very rough edges, but I'm not inclined to find out.

I'm giving it two stars rather generously, but am picturing there being folks out there who want something vaguely cigarish and earthy. Maybe this wouldn't seem harsh to those folks.

Pipe Used: Lots of them

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

When I first popped the lid on this tin (20 months old), it reminded me of Kajun Kake, both in presentation and aroma (I smell brownies).

The tobacco is very dry, so I have to smoke it rubbed out whether I like it or not.

My biggest issue with this tobacco is the consistency of taste throughout the bowl. It starts out well enough but gets more bitter as the bowl goes on. I have tried new pipes and carefully cleaned pipes and I still get the same result. I also find that DGT does not work well with this blend either.

Actually, when I smoke straight Virginia tobacco, I prefer some sweetness such as found in McClelland #27, Dark Star or Christmas Cheer. There is very little sweetness here.

It is not a bad tobacco, I am just less impressed every time I smoke it. Maybe a 4 or 5 year old tin will yield better results for me.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Before the rains come this warm summer day, I relaxed under the back yard pin oak - with my Sunday pipe (a Butz-Choquin Cocarde bulldog) and a bowl of C&D Briar Fox. I received several half ounce samples with a few orders from my preferred enabler. My first smoke of this tobacco several weeks back wasn't very pleasant. Of course, it does help if you crumble against the grain (lesson learned). Today's smoke was far more enjoyable.

For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of a smoke with this tobacco, I'll give you my newbie impressions.

Have you seen those YouTube videos where someone is discussing his new pipe or new tobacco in a veritable haze of smoke? Do you enjoy getting lost in the over-abundant fog of smoke spilling over itself? If so, this tobacco probably isn't for you. In my opinion, this Virginia is meant to be sipped, not gulped. And a deep, serious tobacco it is. If it were food, it would be a chocolate cake - made of the darkest chocolate from a planet not yet discovered.

The first half bowl was a bit like my first experience - somewhat monochrome. But halfway through the bowl Tinkerbell must have arrived with her pixie dust, as the tobacco took on a whole new range. Each slow puff took the flavor and aroma deeper and deeper. By the time I'd made it down to ash, it occurred to me that this is one tobacco I will never smoke indoors or around non-smokers: the sale of the tin should come with a secret handshake.

It is a wonderful smoke for a Sunday afternoon when all you really want to do is read a few pages of a good book or even better just gaze at the branches above your head. I wouldn't want to try driving either during or immediately following, as it has some serious nicotine. If you are like me and you enjoy fruit with your smoke, cherries are a wonderful complement to the deep chocolate of the tobacco.

I'm thinking of purchasing a few tins with the next order from my enabler - to cellar for a year. Perhaps a bit of age might bring out even more flavors than Tinkerbell's pixie dust.

I received a 1/2 ounce sample with a recent order from smokingpipes.com - thank you! The sample arrived as 2 small crumble cakes. A very mild Virginia smell coming from the sample bag. Breaking up and loading for the pipe was an easy affair and it took to the match very well, remaining lit throughout the smoke. I am predominantly a Burley smoker (ABF, Burley Slice, Irish Flake, ODF) and find many Virginias to lack the body I would like in a smoke. Briar Fox I like. It reminds me of Pease's Union Square, but milder and not as harsh. I can't detect any flavoring and no PG which was off putting for me in their Autumn Evening offering. There is a fairly decent nic kick so one needs to smoke this slowly. Even with fast puffing I couldn't get this to smoke hot nor did it cause any bite. Before trying I thought I wouldn't like it, but Briar fox proved to be a relaxing, tasty (in a natural tobacco way) smoke. Since I am predominantly a Burley smoker I don't smoke any Virginia on a daily basis but Briar Fox would be first on my list of Virginias that I would reach for when the mood strikes. Very enjoyable and a solid 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Old Dr. Grabow long stemmed billiard for testing.

Purchased From: Free 1 oz sample from Smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: GL Pease Union Square, but milder.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Review of free 1/2 oz sample...First of all, be careful when breaking up this kake as it may contain a few sharp woody bits. Bag note is sweet Virginia at it's best! Moisture level is perfect; ready to smoke soon after crumbling. 95% good quality tobacco with just a few woody or stemy bits to pick over. Very tasty sweet Virg from charring light to bottom of bowl; more of a fig like sweetness, less raisiny than Old Gowrie. That great C&D Burley is present and makes for a bit quicker/hotter burn than a straight Virg. Very well behaved in my pipe; no fuss and smokes to a fine clean ash. N level is medium- and very predictable. I've enjoyed this stuff quite a bit and feel that it makes a great morning smoke. I'll be buying some soon. Hope this helps.

Pipe Used: MM DIPLOMAT COB

Age When Smoked: fresh free sample

Purchased From: free from smokingpipes.com

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (26)

This is going to be a regular rotation in the cold winter months, especially during hunting season. I found it to smoke warm. But it had a nice full flavor and a great heady satisfying smoke. A very strange smoke to me. Not the typical virginia. Not the expected sweetness, but something really quite good.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL15

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Briar Fox comes in a perfect crumble cake perfect for rubbing out to a great packable tobacco. This blend burns slow and smooth. As for flavor I first have to say that Virginia tobaccos are amazing. One leaf has so many possible flavors. sweet, spicy, light, dark, strong, mild. What an amazing leaf virginia tobacco is. Briar Fox is to me an example of how spicy virginias can be. Overall its a delightful, strong, bold, spicy virginia of the highest quality. Bravo Cornell & Diehl.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Yes, several years after picking up the pipe, I am still trying to discover "what I like." I am an unabashed fan of aromatics; having been hooked on cigs for twenty plus years, I like my pipe tobacco to have some flavor in addition to the dose of Vitamin N, which is the primary reason I smoke. I am trying to learn to appreciate the various blends and styles, but there is only so much I can do. If I didn't like the nicotine buzz there would be no point in smoking, just as, while I am certainly able to appreciate a well crafted beer, the main reason I drink, on those rare occasions when I do, is to get drunk, and I can do that with Natty Light just as easily as with Blue Moon. So, I do not often smoke English or non-aromatics, just because I could care less about the various complexities of different tobaccos that smell and taste like ass- I want something that tastes and smells good and has plenty of nicotine. I don't think I should have to acquire a taste for various tobaccos. Sorry if that offends all the "coin-a-sewers" out there.

Anyways, I have discovered that this Briar Fox blend tastes good, smells good, and has a large dose of 'Tine. I am steering away from aromatics for health reasons more than anything, but I do like a nice sweet tasting smoke, and I have found that it is the Virginia tobaccos which provide that natural sweetness that I like. As others have said already and better, the smoke is sweet and forward and very smooth if you are patient with the briar. Put the pipe down for three minutes or so and just a few short, quick puffs had it burning nicely again when I came back to it- didn't have to re-light. Smells good enough that I do not piss off everyone on campus (I do tend to take others' senses into consideration when smoking) when I light up, burns mellow and sweet if you carefully sip, and even looks pretty good, dark and red and, well, "foxy".

Side note: Krumble Kake sounds Kool, like Krusty the Klown.

DaddyWarbucks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyWarbucks (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I want to like this tobacco more than I do. By the description, and by the other reviews here, it sounded right up my alley; unfortunately, I was disappointed.

I love the cake form, which rubs out and packs nicely, and the tobacco came at almost a perfect humidity. Burn is even and relatively cool. Smell in the tin is not totally unpleasant, but it does smell like quite a bit like sour milk.

Flavor is tangy, spicy, and chimeric. The Virginias are not as sweet as I expected - mostly just tangy, sometimes with a pronounced nuttiness. Oftentimes, I could swear I was burning sandalwood. Overall, it is airy and light tasting; seems fair to set it in the daytime / desk work category. The perique undertone gives it an interesting, complex flavor and is well-proportioned relative to the other flavors. Smoking very gently helps to bring out a balanced complexity; puff too hard or too long, and it just tastes ashy and dirty, like a cheap burley.

This likes a small bowl, which is not a problem because it is quite slow-burning.

I'm right on the border of giving this 3 stars - it's a quality tobacco, and I know there are people who will love this. Nevertheless, I am not one of those people. I'll smoke it up, but won't buy again.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

I wanted to give this four stars, and may yet...fickle as I am. For now, though, I think my personal thoughts put it at three. It's damned good, just doesn't hold my attention like a bright VA, or even a char grilled Brit rope does. It's somewheres in the middle of these two extremes, and while compromise can be(and is) good, I guess I seem to prefer the extremes. It's possible Briar Fox would make the better desert island blend, but fortunately i'm not on that island presently.

(Is there burley in this one, really? I wouldn't be suprised; nor would a claim of African grown VA.)

Again, for me...very good, not great. Any others' claims to the contrary I believe quite likely. Worth a shot, y'all.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I suspect a cased Virginia. Sweet, Raisin like, smokey-ashey. Comes very dry.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am an explorer of the VA landscape these days. Don't get me wrong, I am still a Latakia junkie, but one must have variety! The tin I consigned to ash is another stop in my journey. I am afraid that this one gave me mixed feelings. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a brick of various VA's: Red, Mohagany, and Golden. The tin aroma is a little tangy and vinegary. Crumble this well before packing or it will give you frustration trying to keep it lit! Initial flavor is not very good, smelled like cigarettes! Blech! I almost gave up, but I persevered. Mid-bowl gets better. You now start getting an interplay between the sweet, sour, and spicy leaves. I think I detect a little perique (my throat got a little scratchy). I found that DGT works good with this blend. Bottom third of the bowl intensified the flavor a little more, but before you know it, you are sucking ash. I found I was trying to get more flavor out of this blend than it has, so I didn't burn my tongue, but sure did burn the roof of mouth the first few bowls. I suppose that if you concentrate, you might enjoy this blend, but with other blends like Old Gowrie or Orlick Golden Sliced available, why fight with this one? So, in ending, this is a good middle weight blend, but not a great one. Rating 2.5 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

This is a unique blend that should be tried at least once. It is the virginia version of C&D's Pirate Kake. This is a very rich, simple virginia that is completely bite free. It's very basic to my tastes, and reminds me of what I imagine tobaccos must have tasted like in past times. This is a typical C&D blend: high quality and great burning characterisitics. I have to admit that it is just not quite my style. I need a little more complexity and natural sweetness in my straight virginias. This would make a great all day smoke if someone was into virginias this much.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

While the rating of a specific blend is ultimately the subjective perception of the reviewer, certain observations regarding the composition may be offered objectively. For example, although I am not particularly enamored of a few of the Dunhill blends (Royal Yacht comes to mind), none can deny that not only is top quality leaf employed, but world class craftsmanship is standard operating procedure. As in the case of Dunhill, the appearance of the words "Cornell and Diehl" on a tin is as sure a sign of quality as one could hope for, irrespective of one?s opinion of a particular blend. Briar Fox is interesting. Nestled inside the smallish tin, topped with the requisite whimsical C&D label, is a clump (there is no better word) of what on first impression appears to be small, dense slabs of meat loaf (as so ably indicated by Tantric). The three to four puzzling little slabs are not sliced, as in Penzance, and tend towards the dry side. Mostly mid-brown to black, the overall appearance is fairly dark. Tin aroma is pure, and fairly mild. Crumbling the cakes is a chore or a kick, depending on one?s disposition, and a light hand is recommended, as it is all too easy to pulverize them into quarks. It lights easily, and produces such copious amounts of smoke that at least one person has commented "Sir, your pipe is on fire." Despite this instant pool hall/card game/mosquito repellent quality, room note is fairly mild, if cloudy. The flavors, at first quite pedestrian, quickly settle into stride and reveal a smooth, medium bodied palate redolent of pure, unadulterated, Virginia leaf- a delicious, unalloyed tobacco. Special care must be taken, as it can easily burn out of hand. It won?t bite, but you may notice your pipe far hotter than usual. It continues to gain in complexity to the rather abrupt end. My complaints are admittedly petty and trite. I find myself getting fewer bowls per tin (due to the construction), fewer minutes per bowl (due to the rapid burn), and, consequently, fewer hours per tin. This may make it one of the more expensive blends to smoke in my portfolio, but I?ll certainly live with it. It?s a small price to pay to enjoy one of the middleweight contenders in the world of straight Virginias. Overall, it?s not a life changing, epiphany inducing smoke, but it serves quite nicely, and is worth seeking out.

Addendum: Repeated tastings of this blend seem to accentuate its shortcomings. The hot, excessively dry burn and the lack of complexity grow tiring, and I must lower my recommendation.

As it usually happens to me with many Cornell & Diehl?s blends, it takes sometime before I actually realize the excellence and the quality of these tobaccos. Always on the dry side?the tobaccos seem to be processed in such a way that the essential oils and the natural juices are all dried up?the first impression is of a rather raw, almost stale taste. But as you keep on puffing, the different layers of flavor slowly reveal themselves to reach a point where you become completely enraptured in the smoking experience. Briar Fox is a case in point.

This comes in crumble cake. On opening the small round tin you actually get the impres-sion of tightly compressed slices of meat loaf. It is very easy, well, to crumble, pack and light. A blend of straight Va?s., tin aroma is a bit pungent, but completely natural and unlike any other Virginia I have sampled (it is not at all sweet, winy or with a note of dried raisins, not even soapy, but sharp, earthy and straw-like).

The first few puffs yield a rather bawdy, rough tang. But this impression wears off almost immediately to produce a naturally tasty smoke, composed of different but harmonious layers. The dryness of the tobaccos allow for a wonderful burning rate and lingers on throughout the smoke. The apparent simplicity of the mixture tends to build up as you smoke it, evolving into a very agreeable, austere and natural taste. You kind of get carried away by the subtle interplay between grassy notes, a certain bitterness and a faint sour-sweetness that barley insinuates in the background. Great stuff!

This is a tobacco that can be smoked indoors (although those around you won?t be particularly enthusiastic), but I prefer to smoke it outdoors, either relaxing in a garden chair or when walking in open coun-try. Recommended as one of the most natural Virginia experiences you?ll encounter.

JohnMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnMA (14)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a tin of this about five years ago, smoked half of it, jarred it and forgot it. Back then it was a nice, fairly smooth, average virginia/burley blend. It's not very sweet and nutty. It's not really zesty virginia territory. It tastes like golden virginia with some burley. I just smoked a bowl of the five year old. It's smoother with the age then I remembered which makes sense. I love the cake and the cut. I like that C&D tobaccos seem so natural and pure. This is a good mellow blend. It's a little simple but for what it is it's nice. It feels like my grand fathers tobacco.

Pipe Used: briar

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (43)

I bought two tins of this blend from a guy's duffle bag of blends being offered for sale at our 2014 NASPC show in August. I was curious about it as it had predominately positive reviews. I intended to use it as a Virginia component in English microblending. I was obliged to sell one tin to a long time Virginia smoking buddy of mine and he felt so-so about it. I opened the other tin and this is what I found: a light-colored, brownie-sized rectangular chunk of naturally aromatic and quite variegated tobacco in appearance. The variegation ran the gamut from light blond to dark and was not only appealing to the eye, but looked very much like a lot of medium English blends that I have smoked - most unusual for a Virginia blend. I then lit up and found it to be a pleasant smoke; more pleasant than any Virginia blend I could remember. The taste and aroma were somewhat narrow compared to Englishes I had been smoking, but there was a wonderful nuance of flavors in the smoke. In there, somewhere, was a slight kick-up in taste that I later found out was a Burley component. I enjoyed this blend far above almost all other Virginias I have tried. I started to give it three stars and then thought, you're judging it as to how it can stand up to an English blend - judge it for what it is: a four star blend. Good job C&D!

Pipe Used: Ashton 1/3 bent billiard

Age When Smoked: several months old

Purchased From: individual seller

Similar Blends: nothing I can remember.

Normally I try to smoke at least an ounce of a tobacco, and preferably more, before posting a review. But this review is based on a half-ounce sample of Briar Fox I received with a tobacco order from smokingpipes.com, which I finished this afternoon. I'm putting this disclaimer right up front so everyone knows there's the real possibility that Briar Fox didn't get a fair shake from me.

I sliced up the entire little plug and rubbed it out. I knew there wasn't enough there to be messing around trying out a bunch of different preparation methods. It burns nicely and produces a good volume of smoke.

There is nothing particularly wrong with Briar Fox, it's just that I find it basically unremarkable. I agree with the reviewer who said he thinks there is some Burley in it. I don't believe it's a Straight Virginia.

I wasn't able to find in Briar Fox very much of what I like about Straight Virginia tobacco: the subtle sweetness, and either that baked bread or grassy, hay-like flavor.

Whether you're more into Virginia or prefer Burley, I suspect Briar Fox might disappoint you. If I want to smoke a medium Virginia, something like Capstan blue does it much better. If I want a mild, nutty Burley then I'd probably go with the new Missouri Pride. I simply don't have a need for Briar Fox in my rotation.

I guess you could say Briar Fox is the solution to a problem I don't have.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

Simple strait forward Virginia a little sweet nutty piece of hay

reedsteve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reedsteve (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is obviously easier to comment on the other fine reviews here than to conjure up an original thought. Accounting for that, it is interesting to look at the differing thought about taste clues questioning addition of other leaf components. That variability may well be what draws experienced pipe smokers to the better "blends". Finding an individual leaf that has it all may be out of the league of probability as a fine grape is to wine. It may be noted that this is far from a typical Danish blend in every way but for having Heeschen's name attached.

S3rro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S3rro (1)

I do not have as refined a pallet as many pipe smokers. As in I cannot describe a tobacco like a famous chef describes food. But I did very much enjoy Briar Fox. It smokes cool and long. My Peterson Shannon bent apple has a bowl for 30-40 minute smokes; a bowl of Briar Fox lasted a little over an hour. The flavor is pleasant and full; it would be easy to call this blend mellow but that is the wrong word. The blend has decent nicotine kick. As someone who crossed over to briar from cigarettes it's often hard to find tobacco that satisfies the addiction without being overwhelming in taste. This has become my new stand bye because it tastes wonderful but isn't mellow. It's pleasant; if I may go so far, the epitome of pleasant. This blend stands out to me because it is full and complex but never so much so that it feels like a war in my mouth. Maybe balanced is the right word?

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I'm not sure why it took me so long to try this one. I think there was some skepticism on my part that it was strong enough to satisfy me, not to mention that it is a dutch pipemakers blend. It just said light and boring to me. I'm glad that a couple of my favorite reviewers had tried it and liked it. So, I ordered an 8oz tin and gave it a whirl.

The tin had no date stamped on it, so dating is difficult. Seems to have what I would think were at least 6 months age on it. The bricks are somewhat damp though not overly so. (It was illusiory in the end, because the tobacco was at a perfect smoking humidity when rubbed out to smoke.)They also have a very nice press on them, very compacted and neatly cut. There is little shake in the tin at all even after what I can only guess was significant shipping movement. Very nice presentation. The tobacco is a beautiful reddish brown with darker and lighter highlights. The cake rubs out easily.

No problems in packing. False light smoke was delicious. True light after 15 minutes rest was one of the best virginia experiences I have ever had. True mixture of deep and bright flavors with the edge going to those that are dark and earthy. Serious cereal/grain flavors are present throughout the bowl. Black coffee, dark chocolate, dates, figs, and undefinable creamy flavors are constantly dancing in and out of the starring role. A true ensemble cast with equal strengths.

I found this to be at best a medium pace puffer. It really does shine when it is sipped, which is easy because it stays lit so beautifully. No bite whatsoever, but like I said before, medium cadence was as hard as I puffed. A longer smoke than most virginias give me and that I am thankful for. I smoke alot of bowls in a day, and the longer they last the better. The bowl smoked cool and dry to the heel. No overheating with this one.

I think this is easily an all day smoke for the hardier types such as myself, but may be a bit much for the lighter style pipesters. Although smooth and tasty, it does carry a fully medium dose of Nicotine.

I'm not sure what to make of all the negative reviews. I found this one very hard to find fault with. It should make most virginia fans pretty happy.

Cheers!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Briar Fox is a blend from Cornell & Diehl described as the personal blend of Peter Heeschen. Knowing that pedigree, I anxiously cracked open a tin. This is a straight Virginia blend, in appearance a mix of gold, brown, and dark brown, pressed together into a crumble cake. The aroma is both sweet and slightly fermented, and, to my nose, exceptional and alluring. The cake easily breaks apart, yielding a nice pile of tobacco at, for me, the ideal moisture level for smoking. The early bowl has a bit of a tang to it, but I suspect that tang may mellow as a tin is allowed to age. But unlike many C&D blends, which I feel need some age before they are smokeable, Briar Fox, because of the pressing, is ready to go. The tobacco lights easily, and once lit it stays lit. Once into the bowl, the smoker is in for a real treat. The early tang disappears, yielding to flavors of sweet hay. But there is a subtle depth to it as well, which comes through more and more as the bowl is burned. The smoke becomes quite smooth and easy. Sipping will yield the various flavors within the smoke, but heavier puffing isn't going to send any smoker looking for a tongue transplant. The sweetness level of Briar Fox is less than that of many Virginias, especially red Virginias. But that shouldn't deter anyone from trying this tobacco. The flavor is delightful and surprisingly complex. There is a nicotine punch that surprised me a bit, and Virginia lovers should be aware of this. It took me several bowls of Briar Fox to learn the tobacco, and how to smoke it. Once I did, however, I found it to be smooth, pleasant, gentle, and extremely tasteful. This is a Virginia I will return to frequently.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Briar Fox is my first C&D sampling, and I must say that I'm very impressed. This is a nice "straight VA", although by all accounts, there's a little more to the blend than that.

The crumble cake is a nice change from ribbon/loose cut tobacco, or even flakes, and this one rubs out quite nicely. Packing the bowl gently yields an easy light, and the flavor of the high-quality VA's is readily apparent. I tend to smoke this in a Hackert cob, and it burns well to the bottom of the bowl.

I really enjoy this blend, it's a very well made offering, with a nice, clean tobacco flavor. I find myself smoking this more often, where it tends to be the only blend in my current rotation that has me slow down and savor the experience. That's saying something...

TonyC

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A friend of mine gave me a sizable sample back in June. I smoked half of it then and put the rest into a small clean babyfood jar untill today,(8/3). I can tell that this is a quality tobaco blend. I'ts taste is nice and almost full in my opinion. I venture to wonder if there's more than Va in it. Maybe a real light splash of an oriental? But I wouldn't call it burley like some others have. In a previous review here another pipester mentions that C&D sent him some notes on this blend and it mentions that it is 'mostly' VA. That tells me there's another lurking here. I'm just not sure what it is. I'm a big fan of another VA and it's rather sweet as a few others I smoked but this one I find not as sweet if at all. However, Briar fox is a satisfying Va for sure. Most other VA's that I have smoked aren't as satisfying. I smoke 'em becasue I just like the taste and like playing with my pipes if you know what I mean.

Upon opening the jar I stuck my nose right to the rim to catch whatever it had to offer. I was teated with a nice full aroma, earthy, full, kind of smell but nothing too light. Pleasant just the same. I smoked this right away wihout any drying. The krumble kake broke up rather nicely. I broke up a handful and into my palm then let it gravity feed into the bowl of my 1970's Ben Wade freehand. I figured that an ancient well cared for briar would do a C&D blend justice and it did just fine. Possibly drying it out a bit might bring out the sweetness a bit like it does with other straight VA's. Maybe I'll do that next time I fill a bowl with Briar Fox. I'm smoking this alone right now so the room note I can't say much about but since it's a VA it can't be anything less than pleasant. Still wondering what gives it the body that it has bein's it a VA and in my experience I've known them to be lighter.

Taste to me here is nothing to write home about though I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact I think it's something that might oughtta be called something like a backwoods sort of name. It just seems like it has a full mountain 'air' about it with a pretty fair Nic Hit to it about halfway down the bowl. I'll rate this blend about THREE stars here.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Briar Fox is not only a tobacco, but a well executed concept. From it's rustic Virginia leaf ingredients, to the presentation, the tin art and the name, I find it to be complete and whole in all ways. I like the clever name -- a play on words that alludes to the unceasing conspirator from Uncle Remus' folklore, Song of the South, Br'er Fox. I had the tales of Uncle Remus on a 45 lp when I was a kid as many of you may have (or your kids had it)...but that ain't the point, so let's talk about what matters:

Presented as a crumble cake, briar fox couldn't be easier, or more fun, to rub out and load. No knife needed, just tear off a suitably sized flake and rub out completely, or stuff straight into the bowl. Consists mostly of Red Va, with some bright leaf and just a few fleck of very dark, almost black leaf. This stuff was born to burn. Easily, it is the best burning tobacco I have yet to smoke and it does so very dry at that. When I purchased the tin, I was lucky enough to catch a review that mentioned direct correspondence with Craig Tarler wherein he recommended aging the blend six months in the tin. At first I was bummed, my gratification needing substantial delay, but I waited the requisite period and I'm glad I did. I wonder if folks who didn't enjoy the blend would have had a better experience with a little age. I can imagine it being a bit bitter without properly developed sugars.

Because this blend is more earthy than any other Va's I've smoked, I suspected perhaps a small amount of burley. I checked into it by asking someone who would definitely know and from his response I assume that there is almost nothing but Va's. Very impressive. There is a noticeable sweetness, but less so than opening night. Apparently, it was developed by Craig and Peter Heeschen with Peter's briars in mind. These guys know there stuff, in my opinion.

Briar Fox is tangy, earthy, and sweet with a quick, dry finish. It has a little nicotine, but not enough to satisfy someone who likes a kick in the stomach. That isn't me, so I do fine with it. Flavor wise, I could still recommend this to folks who prefer burley over VA due to that rustic, earthiness that characterizes the blend. Alas, it is still a "VA show" and for that it gets my hearty endorsement.

Maximum star value for this smoker.

31z40 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
31z40 (5)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

IMO there was very little tongue bite, although this does need to be smoked very slowly to enjoy the taste of the Virginias that blend together.

This is an excellent Virginia

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

This review is from a tin dated March 2006. The tin was opened in 2007 and partially smoked and revisited in January 2010.

This is a cake that comes pretty dry, not too dry, rather dryer than most virginias. It was rehydrated with "sterile" water from a lab. It hydrated very well to its original moisture level. I load it by breaking small chunks and dropping right into the bowl with loose tobacco placed on top.

Its appearance is mostly yellow and tan with a little dark brown tobacco. Even with the aging there is no crystallized sugar appreciated.

It is a very tasty virginia that has a pure VA taste. I agree with some reviews that it is a more "woodsy" taste which I remember very well. I'm not sure if it is the aging of the tobacco, but it does have a more sweet VA taste than I remember. But, a nutty taste is still somewhat dominant and very welcomed as a bit of a change of pace from my usual VAs. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys VA tobaccos and will always keep some in my cellar.

I would be interested to know if any burley is hidden in this blend. If it i,s it only compliments the VAs which are the dominant player in Briar Fox.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

Briar Fox is one of the best straight Virginia blends I've tried. It's natural sweetness and effortless smoking pleasure are the best points of this blend. The humidity level is just well for packing. It burns evenly. Once lit and you can go till the bottom with a long lasting high quality smoke. It leaves only a soft whitish ash at the bottom. Just puff it away.

The sweet Virginia taste satisfies my palate and tongue. The nicotine level is just my favorite and it kicks when I reach the half of the bowl.

A must have in cellar. I am sure it will age great.

ProfessorShak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorShak (7)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I wanted to like this blend, but something just didn't sit well with me. I like my Va's to have some sweetness and be a bit milder in strength. This one left a bad taste in my mouth and I just couldn't finish it.

'Baccy'Ho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
'Baccy'Ho (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good straight VA. If it was a wine, I would compare it to a dry red. The flavor is full on VA. However, it isn't a sweet VA. This isn't a bad thing, but if you are looking for a sweet VA, this isn't gonna float your boat. It floats mine as a change of pace, palate cleansing smoke. The presentation in the tin is great. It rubs out nicely from it's cake form. For me, a tall narrow gage bowl works best. It burns to a fine gray ash all the way to the bottom. If smoked too hot, it can bitter in the bottom 1/4 of the bowl. So, smoke it like it was meant to be smoked. Slowly. No bite detected. Just a good smoke. I will keep a pound of it around for aging and enjoyment.

Happy Puffin'

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ordered a tin directly from CnD. Since I am a fan of Heeschan pipes. The tobacco has a wonderful scent. Upon smoking my first bowl this backy to me just has an bad flavor. I can't point it out what it is but seems like lever 2000 or Dove soap was put in it. It also MUST be smoke slowly cause it cause the bowl to heat up. on a positive note even though the bowl heats up it still delivers a cool smoke. I am fan of Cornell's but this tobacco just doesnt deliver that it should.

Mickey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mickey (7)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is my first post ever.

I have a large selection of pipes and tobaccos.

One thing that I learned from these posts on Briar Fox is that it is important to puff slowly with this particular Virginia Crumble Kake. As soon as I tried it with the new attitude Briar Fox came into it's true potential as a role in my rotation. It becomes light with subtle flavors that make it an easy relaxing joy, which pipe smoking is for me. Also I think it is better in smaller pipe bowls, because puffing slowly I can get an hour out of one pipe full.

ozarkhillbilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ozarkhillbilly (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This one is for all the VA lovers out there that is in the market for a straight VA without any of the toppings/casing. It is in Cake blocks, but breaks up very easily, and the tin aroma is reminiscent of raisins/figs. When packed loosely this blend smokes great and the flavor lasts through the bowl, the flavor I am refering to is straight VA flavor. For me this blend is up there with the Two Friends Heritage as far as C & D VA goes, great all day blend.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin: Fig, hay, red wine fragrance, pressed into a block, wrapped in paper, that looks like Days O Work chewing tobacco. There are shades of brown with flecks of black. BF is not sticky, but is on the dry side. It is a prime candidate for rehydration(GLPease.com/FAQ).

Packing & Lighting: When broken up, the cake is a coarse ribbon . You have to pull apart and rub the tobacco, which I find to be a small chore and messy. Not as big a chore as it is with a flake or roll cut, after handling the little block for a couple of days, it becomes an agreeable task.

It is easily overpacked. The first two bowls were packed lightly, but became too difficult to even draw through it. The third bowl was gravity-fed only, tamped down while smoking, and again became difficult to draw. Just gravity-fill the pipe, tapping the side of the bowl, then cautiously tamp it down while smoking slowly. Funny thing, but later bowls do not give this problem.

On first light, the bowl smoke makes the nose tingle. The tobacco lights easily, being dry. The bowl becomes hot, but the smoke remains nice and cool, until the end of the bowl, where it is hot. This dry tobacco produces very little moisture.

BF burns quickly to the bottom, on one match. To control the burn rate, pack the bowl with some of the tobacco in chunks.

Taste: Tastes like the tin aroma: fig, prune, light hay or toast, natural red wine spice character; while not sweet like a McClelland or Dunhill's SM, BF is fleetingly sweet.

Aroma: Like the tin aroma, and taste. Lightly packed, more taste and aroma evolves.

Nicotine: BF has plenty, sometimes as much as Dunhill 965 or EMP, sometimes no stronger than SM Mild.

Overall: BF has qualities of a good VA, though not sweet. BF compares favorably to Dunhill's SM, in quality. It's a nice, toasty VA that delivers a light, natural fragrance, worth the price. Hunting for a fine VA smoke to be enjoyed at all times of the day? Cornell & Diehl sounds the tallyho. The Briar Fox is in the trace.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Pretty straight-forward tobacco. Not a lot of bells and whistles, this is a natural smoke that needs some drying before you fire it up. Pleasant enough, but did not impress.

Govern yourself accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

C&D has done it yet again. You get all tobacco, no excess moisture with this blend. I love a good kake and this one is "top drawer". Peel off a layer and rub it out, load, and light. It can't get any easier than that. Taste is all tobacco, and what a taste it is. Mildly sweet, and cool. Nice combonation for a Va. blend. Great burn...few if any relights. Burns all the way to the bottom of the dry bowl. I love this stuff...one problem is cost. At nearly $40 per pound it is rather pricey, but you can't take it with you. I might as well burn it up now, rather than leave it behind for others to blow. **

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK VERY MUCH THE REVIEWER PIPESTUD CAUSE AFTER READING HIS REVIEWS, THE LAST TWO YEARS, I LEARNED A LOT, REGARDING THE TOBACCOS TASTING With the opening of box, the light sweet and sour smell of its quality leaf of Virginia came immediately to my nose. The level of humidity is precisely right. I cannot detect certain aromatic wrapper. It reminded me of the taste of cigarette with more elegant flavor. As long as you smoke this tobacco, it becomes more tasteful and stronger. Quite heavy with strong dose of nicotine in it, Briar. Certainly it is a tobacco which gets much better (after one or two years), when it gets mature.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

Update* After a few months of leaving this one alone and trying it again, I'm going to up my rating after all. It's made of a predominance of brown Virginias (really don't see many yellows or brights), and I wouldn't doubt some Burley to contradict my earlier review (especially since the blend has hardly any bite). A fine nutty smoke, with a slight bitter edge, I mean real slight because it's mostly sweet and nutty, without too much of the grassy quality of many Virginia blends. Love it. C&D is really spoiling me.

old one=I guess I'm mostly in line with the reviews here. This is an obviously carefully prepared and cared for tobacco. I'm not sure why the wax paper exactly, but it makes it feel like you're opening a present or some ancient artefact the first time. I think that's half the experience, at least the first few times. Given the regalia, one would hope for a more overwhelming smoke, but let me say, it's definitely not bad. Just not all that might be promised. It's smooth, but almost to a frustrating degree, at least for me. I mean, I guess I'm left feeling it needs just a little more spice or something, maybe just a dash of Perique or, dare I say, a touch of some not too crazy Burley perhaps. I'm still holding out hope for this one, however, and I will try to update soon.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

much like ciggarettes. simple VA... several tins later (I cant just give up) it is in fact more complex than at first. has nutty, woodsy element others describe, I would buy this, but be aware this takes a little time and thought to find the sweet spots.

bigbowls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigbowls (12)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very fine VA. I can smoke this one all day. No bite whatsoever for me...just good clean virginia taste. This was my first krumble cake and it was a litte strange at first, but I found it was very easy to break off what I wanted. I will buy more of this.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Don't have much to add to what others have said except to reiterate that this stuff must be smoked slow and relaxed. Don't do that and one will miss out on what this blend has to offer. I tend to be a fast smoker so it has taken me a while to get used to this, but, when smoked "right," I find it to be a mild yet flavorful blend. I suspect any negative experiences with this comes from hurrying too much. Hard to describe the flavors. There is a sweetness to it, as well as a hint of woods. Very natural with no casings or flavorings which is what I like. I like the cakes wrapped in the paper. Nice touch and should help with storing and aging. As far as room note goes, I detect very little, but on a couple of occasions when the wife has come in from outside, she has asked me if I have been smoking a cigar. I don't see it but perhaps there is a "heads up" there. I bought eight ounces, then a pound and am going to let about half of that age for six months and then see what it is like. Until then, slow and steady will win the race with this one, in my humble opinion...

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

BARK, WOOD, EARTHY

A nice Virginia. Slow and relaxed will bring out raisin/fig sweetness. Hurried doesnt work well with it. It most certainly comes too dry. Worthy of anyones rotation. Earthy,Woodsy, Nutty, Sweet, Light/Smoky. Crap. The next few tins I bought were more earthy and unilateral. woodsy,woodsy,woodsy. i AM THINKING THAT c & d LACKS in the consistancy dept.

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like this tobac very much. Nothing spectacular, but a good honest virginia that can be smoked anytime of the day. As is common with C&D blends, the background taste has a dryness to it which I like on occasion. But there are a couple of great attributes to Briar Fox; no tongue bite and a clean refreshing aftertaste. Smoked in a large bowl for a long time seems to bring out the subtle virginias; a small bowl definitely seems to concentrate the flavors. I like and will keep a tin or two on hand.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

This is a crumble cake Craig recommended to me. I resisted at first, but as I heard mostly good, not great things about the blend, I gave it a tin try. I am nearly finished the tin in a non-filtered Brigham York. Nice smoke.

This one really needs no addtional aging to taste fairly decent. You need to cut out pieces of the cake and rub it out fully. Packs easy. Burns easy. Dry as well. Pretty cool.

It starts off as a light virginia. A bit plain or boring at this stage. A little sour/sweet taste keeps your attention. (Pease's Stratford if aged about 6 months plus is rounder and a little sweeter by comparison.) Looks like reds, some bright, and a little stoved. The flavors have mostly mingled (more time would enhance that but no matter). The sweet sparkle of the brights does come through often enough, but it is not as sweet (or hot) as a true bright flake might be. I still wouldn't rush the puffing though. All natural tastes to me. No scents.

It develops some red virginia richness in the last half of the bowl, which I find interesting.

If you take care to cut and rub out the pieces, you will be rewarded with a true light-medium, natural virginia smoke. There is something about its purity that grows on me. Recommended as an honest all virginia tobacco. Who could say more?

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I have smoked nearly an entire tin of BF and I have come to a few conclusions not only about BF but C&D in general. Their tobacco is of high quality -- so is this. Their tobacco typically comes pretty dry -- so does this. Their tobacco falls into a love it or hate it group with me -- there just hasn't been any in-between with me so far. This one I hate. I reach for straight VA's and VA/P blends most often. However, this one is so tasteless, hot and so uninteresting, that I just cannot justify the price of it anymore.

Perhaps you will have better luck. But for me, I'll stick with C&D's latakia blends or Bayou Flake -- I suspect that will make you happier as well.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco packs a nicotine kick. Otherwise, it is a unique crumble cake with nothing but VA tobacco. Sort of reminds me of C&D Bow-Legged Bear without the Latakia/Perique. On the dry side, but no bite. Burns to a clean ash. This VA does not have that spicy/tart VA component that is so pronounced in McClelland VAs. Much more moderated and smooth.

Again, this is strong on nicotine but medium in flavor. My eyes are still dialated. Nevertheless, a unique VA tobacco that a veteran pipe smoker should try. It sort of has that iron fist/velvet glove thing going on. Kind of like tossing back a Cognac at the end of the evening. Tasty but makes the head swim a bit.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Several reviewers likened this to meat loaf. I find it more closely resembles jerky, or maybe pemmican, as it is it small pieces pressed tightly. Color is mostly medium shades of brown and orange, with lighter and darker flashes. It tears roughly into slices, which must be rubbed thoroughly before packing. Very similar to C&D #417P

Aroma: Nice matured Virginia aroma, slight pruny or raisiny note. Also a hint of chocolate. Verry reminiscent of GLP Cumberland.

Packing: Packs easily into any size bowl when rubbed out. Due to the relative driness of the blend, it has a tendency to underpack. Use a firmer than normal touch. You might be tempted to put some small chunks in the bowl, but they won't light.

Lighting: Lights easily when packed with the right springiness. Sometimes one Vesta with a quick touch in mid-match.

Initial flavor: Nice sweet Virginia flavor, with some body or mouth feel to it. Definitely reminds me of GLP Cumberland, only a bit lighter and not as spicy. Possibly some aged and fired Burley (?).

Mid-bowl: A nice medium Virginia, with a range of notes from high to low. Some stregth to the blend, you can't ignore this. Puff it too fast and it will get really hot, but breathe on it and it will be gentle. Some nuances as you progress through the bowl. Very Danish in overall effect.

Finish: Gets a bit harsher at the end of the bowl. This might be from a lack of aging, but only time will tell.

Summary: For me, a good warm weather Virginia. If it lacks anything, it is Perique. Some Perique, and a bit of good red Va. would bring it more into my preferred range. Excellent quality, and a really fine effort.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Upon opening the tin, the slightly sweet & sour smell of quality aged Virginia leaf hit my nostrils. I took out a chunk of the crumble cake that others here have described so well, and rubbed it out with no trouble. Although on the dry side, this one did not remind me of the Mojave as other C&D blends have. I found the humidity level in Briar Fox to be just right.

I really could not detect any topping or casing as I smoked; rather, a tobacco taste that for some reason reminded me of cigarettes - although more elegant in flavor.

This blend seemed to pick up flavor and strength the more I smoked it. I do like my nicotine and Briar Fox delivered nicely in that category as well.

In summation, this one starts out slow, picks up steam at mid-bowl and finishes with a strong and spicy kick. I think Briar Fox will age well, too. So, I have ordered more tins for my proverbial "cellar."

*And, since this review comes your way on 12/31/03 I'd sure like to wish all of my fellow reviewers a happy and prosperous New Year. Those of you who post reviews here have certainly been a wealth of information for me. For that, I thank you all for helping to make my pipe smoking hobby even more enjoyable.

The Virginias are a mixed bag of flavors. There's a slight tangy sweetness and a touch of fruit from the red Virginia. The other Virginias are a little grassy, and hay-like, with some dullness. The burley has some earth, not much sweetness and gives off a toasty, mildly sharp cigar/cigarette taste that isn't very attractive to my taste buds. Has a moderate nic-hit. The krumble kake is easy to break apart, burns slow, with not much moisture. Probably deserves a higher rating than I give it, but compared to mixtures in the same genre, it doesn't measure up very well.

E. Bonit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
E. Bonit (3)

As DK already mentioned: This tobacco lacks sweetness up to a point to dustiness. Quite a punch of nicotine, too. As a comparison: GL Pease Union Square is about as strong, but much sweeter. I suggest this tobacco as an option for cigar lovers.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Pyffe Laade Switzerland

Similar Blends: Never smoked something like this before. The nearest would be Sextant by GL Pease (but even this Kentucky-laden stuff is more sweet than briar fox)..

ShortFatHokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ShortFatHokie (1)

Nice medium strength tobacco. I found it to be kinda sweet, with a bit of tanginess, and hints of nuttiness. A good, solid everyday tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM Mizzou straight cob

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (8)

I received this as a sample packaged in a ziplock so I am not sure how long it had been out of the tin. The tin note (ziplock note) had a slightly smoky aroma to me. I though I might dislike it, as I dislike English/Latakia blends. The moisture level was ready for packing. I didn't realize this was a Crumble Cake rather than a plug and I cut a slice off of the end of the cake. It worked very well, although I think just pinching off a bit would have worked just as well. It rubbed out, packed, and lit beautifully. It burned a bit quickly and hot for me. It was very spicy for me all the way through the bowl. I did not get the English/Latakia flavors that I was worried about and it was more enjoyable for me than English/Latakia blends. I did notice a vitamin N hit. Overall it was a decent smoke, but since I have only been smoking a pipe for about two years, I still prefer sweeter aromatics. I have smoked worse :)

Pipe Used: Vintage Corsica Bent Billiard w/horn stem

Age When Smoked: New? Sample

Purchased From: Free sample from SmokingPipes.com

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)

You know you read the reviews and you just pass on certain tobaccos. Well, this was a mistake for me. This tobacco burns well and you taste good solid Virginia and Burley. I am getting more burleyish in my old age and find this crumble cake quite pleasant. Some would call it an all day smoke, me too. It burns clean and quite well. Try a crumble or two. The little sample I got piqued my interest and now mid-tin I find it quite pleasant, all day.

Pipe Used: Classic BBB, Bob Kiess Pot

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (41)

When I first opened the tin I was greeted with a smell that I have come to associate with most C&D blends. A pre-hamster hamster cage. Not all that prominent in this blend (unlike Burley Flake #3), and it dissipates rather quickly after opening the tin. After that the flavors shift towards a sweet citrus with a little bit of bitter chocolate.

Dividing up the pressed cake is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I cut a piece off and use it like a flake, and sometimes I just take a pinch off with my fingers. It is quite moist when the tobacco is first removed from the tin but a few minutes out and it's ready to pack.

The flavors, while not all that complicated, are lovely. It has the typical citrus taste of most golden Virginias with a little bit of bitter chocolate. Almost identical to the tin note.

This blend will kick you hard if you smoke a lot of it, but a light pack in a standard size bowl is nothing to worry about. Overall an excellent blend, but for a Virginia I still prefer Orlik.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Tin Note: The Sample bag smelt like a smokey dark chocolate almost as if it were a dark cocoa powder the smokey part though wasn't that appealing when mixed with cocoa.

Initial Light: Took 4 charring lights to get this pipe going however once it lit it was burning really well.The taste at the beginning went from harsh to extremely dull in flavor.Burn was consistent though and that is what i am looking for in the beginning of any smoke.

Mid-Smoke: The Tobacco is maintaining a slow and even burn down the chamber and leaves a nice thick ash behind. The Nic Hit was heavy, at one point i almost got hiccups and there was a bubble in my chest. Sadly the flavor had not changed much it was still a harsh smoke at this point.

Bottom of the Bowl: Dumped out the Ash to try and relight the pipe as it had gone out twice on me and i suspect the thick ash that was being left behind was snuffing out the flame. The ash coated the sides of the bowl extremely well. After removing the smoked tobacco the smoke began to take form in the sense of flavor. The Virginia was peeking through but only just a little. The taste reminded me of a cold worn leather jacket that still has the faintest smell of your favorite cologne, of course meaning the Virginia that's there but not there just a slight presence.

Room Note: My wife surprisingly gave my a legitimate answer i guess me asking here all these times has giving her the sense of being a connoisseur, Her words "This blend gives the smell of black licorice...no no Anise say Anise it sounds better" haha i am a proud husband... That hates licorice.

Dottle: The ash was thick and fell into dust when touched the burn was slow but it was very consistent but left behind traces of goop near the draft hole and clogged the pipe.

Smoking Duration: 35min

Overall: After a month of trying different Va/burs it has become apparent that i am not much into this type of blend. That being said there are a few that i did enjoy just this not being one of them. Good things i can say about this blend is that it burns really good and will build an excellent cake in your pipe. But i like smoking a pipe not to just build a cake i would also like to enjoy what I'm smoking. Flavor and/or complexity wasn't there for me in Briar Fox.

Pipe Used: HS Studio Dublin

Age When Smoked: Freash

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is as good as it gets for an almost straight VA ;) The blenders @ C&D are highly qualified and make excellent quality blends. If you like Straight VA however, this will also do the trick. Very little tongue bite. Recommended:

Pipe Used: Straight Billiard Meerschaum

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I primarily smoke aromatics. However just the name of this cut was intriguing AND for once the name lives up to its smoke! I enjoyed every puff of this. Even though its straight virginia it does have a very mild sweet note and no bite what so ever. The krumble kake comes apart with the slightest squeeze and packs beautifully. Never thought I'd be so fond of a non-aromatic. Well done!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (77)

Chocolate brown Krumble Kake. Breaks up easily into small pieces. This tobacco has a very interesting tin note; in addition to the expected dried fruit aromas there are cocoa and cinnamon notes with malted barley.

This tobacco takes a light easily and burns without attention. It is quite rich for a Virginia, and other reviewers have said there is Burley in the mix. No argument from me. There might even be some DFK given its creaminess.

I'm not a fan of straight or nearly straight Virginias and despite the depth this baccy has, it still lacks something for my tastes. I also found it burnt a little wet. If savoury Red Virginias are your thing, then this is up there with the better quality offerings such as McConnell's Scottish Flake or F&T Cut Blended Plug.

Surprisingly, the wife gave this a thumbs up for room note, not something I would have guessed from the other side of the pipe.

Purchased From: Sample via smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: McConnell Scottish Flake or F&T Cut Blended Plug.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a comfortable smoke. Fantastic Virginia tobacco in a crumble cake. Rubs out nice packs great burns clean and sweet. A must try if your a Virginia fan. I have tried my fair share over the years and this is one of the best.

Pipe Used: peterson

Age When Smoked: bulk sample

Purchased From: smokingpipes

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)

I like this mixture, it's quite good and really well balanced. Another reviewer described the tin note as “pure,” and I agree. The tobacco cake smells grassy but in an earthy, sour-barnyard & vegetal kind of way. The flavor has a light sweetness that I really did not expect, along with a robust unadulterated neat-tobacco taste. I find the update to TallPuffO'Burley's review quite telling, as I could swear that I too tasted a bit of C&D's hearty burley in this, just enough to give it a wee-kick, a touch of chocolate and a bit more structure. There's also a nice spiciness at play which keeps things interesting. Briar Fox does bitter towards the end of the bowl, but I still find it satisfying on a number of levels. Smokes super great in a cob.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first comment I want to make on this blend is how easy this is to pack and smoke. The best crumble cake I have seen yet. It's stays a bit more moist then your average C & D, but lights up and smokes smoothly.

The strength is decent but wouldn't say strong. This blend truly shows with the simplicity of the Virginia. It's an excellent taste with a great aroma. The wife quite enjoyed it.

This blend grabs the extra star because of how good the smoke was, without a ribbon cut. If your new to crumble cakes or Virginia in general, grab this right away.

Kudos Peter Heeschen.

Pipe Used: AKB Smooth Freehand Meerchaum

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Upon unboxing you can easily detect virginia smell, that's good. It's easy to fill into pipe upon rubbing by hand. It lights evenly and runs same. I couldn't detect any flavor, it's just virginia. For virginia choise i prefer best brown flake instead of this briar fox. B/F reminded me Night Train. Same unboxing condition and similar taste. I dont believe that aged pipe smoker prefers this while hell of better virginias are existing in the market.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Intially I was very impressed with this blend. It had a wonderfull, deep, strong but graceful flavour. Strong & mellow at the same time!? Very full, no bite. Great aroma - it stings my nose beautifully. Burns even & well.

Flavour: earthy almost woody, musky, subtle sweetness. Great after taste.

Lately it has lost favor with me and I do not enjoy it anymore. I just find this blend to be rather insipid.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

C/D Briar Fox … Attractive and has a nice tin aroma, that said, I find BF a bit flat in the flavor department unless inhaled like a cigarette. I prefer more stand alone flavor when smoking my pipe or for that matter my cigars. Of course some inhaling is part of the fun, but IMO this tobacco offers little else.

One more thing I noticed is the base flavor of BF is not that different from Mixture #79 of all things, when I smoke the two side by side the similarity is hard to deny, only #79 is somewhat more robust across the board, maybe due to it's burley content, but it is a condition I prefer.

Overall BF is a decent VA smoke, but I go to C/D to get away from the Danish influence in my Virginia's, I already have this type of tobacco covered in my rotation, nine ways to Sunday, I don't need another. My personal rating 2/5

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (65)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent, very nice smoke. Two tins so far, this tobacco does not last much on my desk.

There is PERIQUE , a dash of it, in the Fox. And it is perfectly spicing the virginia. Good stuff, good stuff.

The second tin once open revealed a very dry kake. I have a thrid one, and hopefully will not be that dry to request a humidor!!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild tasting virginia blend that will surely please those who enjoy them in the Danish tradition. Not a bad blend, and I like it but not enough to buy it again.

The tin smell is quite nice; pungent, very "tobaccoey" in the way you'd expect a traditional plug to smell. The blend, however, is bland with a very subtle, almost undetectable, aroma.

This stuff burns cool, does not bite, and packs a heatlhy nicotine punch, but there are other Virginias out there done in a more English style that are fuller in flavor. Briar Fox failed to deliver.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love the Krumble Kake cut ,it packs real easy and burns nice and slow to a fine white ash. Smoke this at a smolder , which is easy to do, and you get a rich sweetness and no bite . If I didn't know better, I would say there was some Burley in the blend because of the nutty mellowness and no bite. This is more on the style of a Danish than an English Virginia . This is more of a sit and savor than a work in the yard type of smoke. I will be buying more and cellaring. Oh, take some care in packing, in that you don't block the air hole , it's easy to do with the KK cut.

Updated 9/16/11 I still feel this is a fine tobacco and a nice change of pace from the VaPer's, Latakia, Oriental mixtures , however, I do find it very one dimensional. It has a smooth nutty flavor, not bitter, not sweet, but it is boring. I got a recommendation from a reviewer of McC 5100 Red Cake to blend 50% RC and 50% BF, this was good but I like 2/3 RC and 1/3 BF better. I've got to take a star away.I don't think I will buy more only because I have too many other tobaccos I'd rather smoke. I have to agree with reviewer "YINYANG 11/13/2011 " above.

Updated 7/20/12 I keep going back and forth with this tobacco. I've found you have to rub the entire kake out, let it breath and dry and in a month you have a nice blend. Open the tin and fire away, it tastes like Burley. 2 1/2 stars and a nice change of pace if preped right.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I really like that C&D only uses distilled water, no propylene glycol to mess up the leaf. That little technique really comes through with BF which is a very natural-tasting, tasty treat. Not overly sweet, not overly bitter, it's like a good IPA with a great balance of sweet and - as we say here in Louisiana in reference to iced tea - unsweet. And I really like the crumble cake format which is very easy to rub out.

The leaf comes a bit drier than average, which I enjoy, packs great (I pack it firmer than most otherwise the draw is too free) and burns impeccably. The flavors are earthy and natural, and I always get a smile on my face when I reach for the Fox.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed this blend although for some reason or another it tended to kick me in the pants. A simple enough blend, the flavors are smooth and delicious, I really enjoyed the way it packed and smoked. I only had a sample of this, but I fully intend to purchase a tin at some point for a more full experience.

Do you ever get a blend that really does not answer your requirements for a blend but still, you keep on smoking it. Well this one is like that for me. When smoking VA's, I like the taste to be haylike sweet, with a little tang and I like it smooth and creamy with the smoke. This blend really is not sweet but does have a good flavor, it has no twang but is very rich, and it really is not smooth and creamy but is a little rough around the edges. I recieved a two ounce bag of it to try, and for the past two days it is all I have wanted to smoke, I am on my last bowl now, enough for a pot Wilmer AAA I am smoking and I will be sad in the morning, so I for sure will be ordering more of this one.

The tobacco smeels musty in the bag, it is rough cut little flakes of a medium brown color, a touch dry but that is typical of C and D and I like it that way. It packs very well in the pipe, and lights up easy, one charring light and then it burns nice and clean to the bottom of the pipe where is becomes a dry dust like steel gray ash. It emits a good bit of smoke and it is just a very tobacco taste on the tongue, again a little raw but in a good way. The room note is very heavy for a VA, no crown pleaser but pleasant to me. It burns rather fast, but in no way hot or biting to the tongue. I could see this as an all day blend as it is not cloying and it is easy to smoke. I recommend trying this one, it is one of those mystery blends that I like but can't really say why. But enjoyable it is.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)

I first want to start by saying I am a big fan of C&D, my three staples are C&D blends. It is also important to say that I am no longer a regular Virginia smoker. My staples are in the Burley & English genre. So, with this is mind, take this review for what it is worth.

As with all C&D tobacco, there is no doubt this is quality leaf. The tin note is enticing. The little pressed brick presentation is also quite nice.

This tobacco needs a bit of drying IMO. Right out of a new tin, it is on the moist side and it becomes obvious that it can use a bit of age to smooth it out.

Without going into too much detail, I will suffice it to say that I was not a fan of this blend. After opening the tin, and giving it several months to smooth out, I find it harsh and bitter at times. It burns hot and certainly causes a bit of tongue bite. Overall I find this blend hot, harsh and bitey.

I will not be buying this one again. Sorry C&D, they can't all be perfect.

I love the cake presentation. Like the tobacco, but not my favorite. Seems to smoke fast and hot. I do detect a cigarette-like taste, but quality cigarettes like Nat Sherman, not Dorals. Tin doesn't mention Burley, so there is probably none here, but it reminds me of a VABUR. If I can manage to smoke it slowly, and if it ages well opened, maybe I can learn to like it more. I would think before I gave a C&D two stars, but personally this one is a two. I give it three in a public review because it is a quality blend which simply doesn't fit my personal tastes, like the Hebraica series.

Update: It's growing on me. I tried something interesting. I pulled off a square piece of the cake and did not rub it out. Instead, I stuffed it whole into my largest bowled pipe, a cool handmade cherry. Then I sprinkled the top with finely rubbed tobacco so I could get it lit. It smoked for almost an hour and was quite tasty! I will experiment some more.

1-11-10 OK time to upgrade this one. In less than five months opened, all of the harshness I originally noted has disappeared, and it is one of the tastier Virginias I have smoked. I don't know if everyone will have the same experience, but for me letting it stand a while really did the trick. It has everything I want in a Virginia; no bite, complexity, notes of dried fruit, improves towards the end. Drier is better with this tobacco, but I could see buying 8oz fresh and letting it dry slowly in a mason jar. I would give it two stars indeed! Doesn't fit my personal tastes, how could I? Sometimes first impressions aren't correct.

1-22-10 Finishing the tin, not all of the bowls were four-star. I didn't get another bowl like the one which caused me to upgrade. Forget which pipe I smoked it in; maybe that is it. No need to take the star back-if it smoked like that once, it could again. I guess this tobacco is what they call "temperamental."

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

This is realy great virginia...

Its cruble cake, pressed like a cube...Rubbed it out and easy to charge your pipe...Tobacco almost dry, its very good...

When i smoke first bowl i say its not %100 virginia, like added some difrent stuff...But after that smoke i feel pure virginia and some sugar...There is no bite (if you smoke like a ferry its not too :) )

I asked for Craig from C&H how to be quick aging for this beauty...He says there is no...And send to me some notes for Briar Fox :

"This blend is mostly Virginias and it will age, brining out the sugars. About six months from the date on the bottom of the tin should do it. Just do not open the tin. "

Thanx C&H for this beauty and elegance tobacco...

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I hadn't smoked this in a few years, but I had a tin from '02 stashed and decided to pop it for this review.

The tin aroma of this thick-cut crumble cake is woody, grassy, and earthy with a slight tang of VA ferment.

The flavor is sweet, but not penetratingly so, with a low-key, husky, and slightly grassy character devoid of brightness, nuance, or variation. It has a good nicotine punch.

Rustic and tasty, Briar Fox is a moderately rich VA which would satisfy those looking for a no fuss VA which is flavorsome and smooth. Though this was always a mellow blend, aging has broadened this characteristic slightly. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A very nice smoke and I went through a tin in two weeks. It is another middle of the road tobaccos for me. Not in quality, but I mean middle of the road medium- taste, nicotine, overall buy again factor. I can see why some love it. Its worth a try if you havent already.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a pressed Crumble Cake Virginia with very natural Virginia aroma and flavor, the packing is relatively easy and the burning is amazingly cool and bite free for a Virginia, the taste is very straight, full and extremely natural, however some may find this Va somehow bland and lacks vibrancy with one single note, and this is also true, however I am sure this is a Raw Virginia at its primitive state, without any topping or casing.

Very good quality Va. for Virginia pro.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I purchased this tobacco back in August of 05 and have just gotten around to smoking it. Of all the designer tobacco lines around I must admit C&D's is one of par excellence. Briar Fox is yet another hit for me. I really enjoy opening new tins of tobacco and the first impression aromas that escape the tin upon cracking. The first impression in BF was that of a sweet woodsy aroma made me think of a cold autumn evening in the middle of June. The moisture content was perfect right out of the tin, as most C&D blends. I love the compressed mixed crumble. It kind of reminds me of plug cut chewing tobacco. BF rubbed out into a beautiful blond, brown to dark brown crumble. BF packed easily and lit evenly and well. BF stands true to form in most VA's a little hot on the light and best enjoyed gently sipped instead of puffed. The layers of flavor for this smoke range from sweet and light, to rich and nutty mid-bowl to knock out. This tobacco never comes on as overpowering for me and does have a nice kick in the nicotine department. I consider this offering an excellent mild VA almost suitable for all day smoking, especially if it was cut with a good burly. I will add this to my Virginia rotation and smoke this on a regular basis.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently openened a tin of this blend and have smoked it quite a bit since then. I find as a smoker of Virginias, that this blend fits in very nicely amongst my "need to have" blends. I do not really smoke lots of Latakia blends and have great difficulty as a nicotine junkie to get my fix from the likes of Rattrays etc. This is now my evening Virginia smoke.

The taste is really wonderful for when one craves something hearty in the evenings or after a big supper. It has a very faint sweetness and the right kind of bitterness and lots and lots of cool smoke with no bite. That wonderful taste lingers in my mouth for a while and keeps me satisfied until the morning.

Now I need to explain why it gets 3 stars instead of 4. Unlike Rattrays HOTW this blend is not very sympathetic to relights and I would reccommend smoking it in a bowl size that you can finish in one sitting. If you do that, you will be rewarded with a very enjoyable smoke indeed.

#UPDATE. I have to upgrade this blend to 4 stars. It has become indespensible in my rotation. Really good stuff and I am stocking up

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

This is a staple VA for me when I want sturdy VA taste, no danger of bite, and a no fuss pack and burn. Great stuff, tho maybe a bit different than what you are used to.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This has more upfront flavor than most straight Virginias I've tried. I like it. It will bite you if get too excited though. I love the smell in the tin; like sweet, slightly fermented hay. I like the room note also, but I don't think everyone would. The moisture level in my tin was absolutely perfect.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)

A quick update: I cracked two tins of Briar Fox last night that have been aging since September of '06. I put the two seemingly - small bricks into a Mason jar. This morning, I rubbed some out, and have to say - this ages magnificently. What I tasted this morning was one of the very best straight VA's that I've enjoyed to date. I like this when it's fresh and young, but like so many VA's, aging transforms this into something quite different. If you have the luxury (and patience) to set some tins of this aside, I would highly recommend doing so!

====================================================================

A top-quality Virginia. Neat Krumble Kake, rubs out well, or does fine just lightly stuffed in a larger bowl. Equally wonderful in any sized bowl, I've found. Nutty, rich, really satisfying. Just great stuff. If this was the first VA I'd ever tried, I might not have switched mostly to latakias. Moisture content from the tin is fine with me, possibly just a little dryer than I'd prefer, but it just works down fine with nothing but a little ash left. Cool, dry, and packed with flavor. Four stars with no reservation.

theredstrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theredstrat (4)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

There's not much I can add to the descriptions already provided. I submitted this review mainly to contribute to the average rating. I like it that much.

I love Virginia's, however, I tend to enjoy the milder ones the best. This one is all I could ask for. It is also worth noting this is my first "crumble cake" and it allowed me to overcome the intimidation of pinching and rubbing. This is an easy tobacco to crumble, smoke, and enjoy! Thanks again Cornell & Diehl!

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

NapaWineLover nails this one in his review. I'll just add my own three cheers for this flavorful Virginia offering.

The price of a tin is a little steep, but it's woth the money.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

This is an exceptionally good VA cake - it crumbles and burns exceedingly well, and it has a rich, deep flavor. It's not a VA I'd smoke every day, but it's an interesting change of pace when I'm in the mood for a medium-strength VA with absolutely no hint of flavoring. It also excels as a blender.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

It is my turn to completely revise my earlier review of this tobacco. I removed it because it was not a very well thought out comment.

Briar Fox, over a period of a year, has become a regular in my rotation. So much so, that I have completely become a VA snob. It has forced me to say farewell to some of the tobaccos that will remain nameless, that had a series of subtle flavorings in the background that were meant to mask sour and inferior VA tobaccos with low sugar content from a variety of continents. While I mean no disrespect - there's no comparison of the high quality of this tobacco to some of it's global cousins.

I make slices of the plugs so that I am left with a more uniform size morsels to pack. It crumbles rather easily so the slices are more virtual than literal. The array of colors mahogany, reds and a spec of gold here and there are a clue to what's ahead. There's a wonderful toastiness to the blend that makes me think of fire roasted cashews. As previous reviewers commented ... nutty - woodsy / woodsy - nutty ... but with a very subtle and unmistakable caramel sweetness sneaking through. Mind you, I'm talking about rich VA sweetness not that of additives or flavorings. I've smoked this in all shape and size bowls and they have all smoked well but typically I smoke it in a medium size which suits my slicing method best.

When smoking, I try to puff this just a wee bit above a smolder. If you get too aggressive with this blend you'll miss all the complexity. Even the non-smoker is curious about the room note - which is nutty and sweet but unmistakably fine tobacco - no flavorings here. It burns to a white ash and never disappoints. However, I would keep this as an 'indoor only' smoke.

Wonderful stuff !!

Cheers, VC

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a good Virginia straight out of the can. I like the C&D dryness, it seems like they are playing fair and not selling watered hams like even the nicest butchers do these days. (yes, tobacconists are butchers, vegetable butchers. It's not a put down, just an analogy). Anyway, Briar Fox is good stuff. But with and little age and, more importantly, the tiniest bit of rehydration, it is a great blend. Hydration is a big deal with this stuff. It can be Great. Not spectcular, but still 4 stars. And because this is a cake and not so heavily pressed, there is more variation of flavors throughout the bowl than in, say, Full Virginia Flake, or Marlin. . A very good all-dayer.

Courtney Evans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Courtney Evans (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is terrific stuff - earthy and deep. It has given me new appreciation for Virginias and for the pipe in general.

mrmcmc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmcmc (15)

Okay, I will join the debate.

First, I am always amazed at how different folks feel about the same tobacco. Kinda gives a new meaning to "truth", and pardon the philosophy.

I find this tobacco to be a wonderful blend, worthy of those special moments, when you want to settle into something really tasty, and you have the time to do so.

In the tin, this blend has a really earthy, almost farm-like quality to it. That is the first hint I might like it.

It is a nice cake, that crumbles and rubs out easily. Initially, out of the can, I think it needs just a small amount of hydration, which I do with one of those little aluminum pouch hydrator things, which I keep in the can.

Upon my first try, I had the sense this tobacco was too dry, and had too much nicotine, but first impressions are not always the best impressions. Sometimes you just gotta get to know something better.

Upon subsequent tries, this tobacco came to life. A little hydration, a calm, slow, relaxed, and purposeful smoke brought out the best in this gem. And smoked slowly, the nicotine will leave you alone. Rush this, and it is another story

Rich, ever so slightly sweet, and full bodied Virginia flavors envelop you for the duration of your smoke. Just good solid tobacco flavors here folks, the likes of which will keep you returning again and again. Just relax, enjoy it slowly, and smile. This one is a winner. Highly recommended.

P.S. I am learning now to smoke pipe tobacco more slowly, more purposefully, and with a more relaxed attitude. The reward for doing so is finding all those flavors and nuances that have always been there, but that can definitely be missed by too fast and too vigorous puffing. Likewise, smoke it right, and you will be left with all the impressions a great tobacco can leave, rather than the haze the nicotine can immerse you in!!!

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

I really like the versatility of this 'crumble cake'. I've horizontally peeled off and fully rubbed thin slices for quick smokes, as well as vertically sawed off hunks and slowly stoked the ember. Each time I smoke this a different way I notice different notes.

Each time it is a rewarding, cool smoke with good Va flavor, that smokes down to a white ash. While I found the room note extremely pleasant, non smokers only found it tolerable.

While Briar Fox is extremely smooth, I do not find it super sweet for a virginia. The tones are earthier and woodsier, compared to something like pipesandcigars.com "Marble Cake", which is sweet and sticky with more abrupt flavor changes. "Marble Cake" is in the rotation as well, but Briar Fox is more sly, sleek, and mellow. It's aptly named. It also doesn't require a Ph.d in Virginias to be enjoyed like the ketchup club #24,#25,#27, and Dark Star. It's very accessible.

Hats off to C&D and 4 stars!!!

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I know of a couple people who only smoke Briar Fox when they want a Va blend. Now I can see why. I'm not saying that this is the be-all and end-all of Virginias, but it is pretty darned good.

If you like a rich Va flavor, Briar Fox is well worth a try. It smokes cool for a Va, and delivers plenty of flavor - and a bit of nicotine in the process as well.

Easy to handle, lights well, and stays lit. If you're into DGT, this is a great candidate. Nice and smooth, light on the tongue.

Try it, you'll like it.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

There's something about crumble cakes that I find hard to resist. It's not just the intriguing nature of seeing various leaves come together in a sort of melange, or the great fun in packing them with a pressure to your exacting desire--it also has to do with the way the flavors seem to meld together in a way that escapes even flakes and plugs.

The nature of this cake in particular was different. It's not in the same as something like Penzance, which is a moist, oily beast that seems to just fall apart in your hands. Briar Fox is instead a tightly compressed block of ribbon cut Virginias. It's a dry, hay-like thing that lends well to breaking apart with your hands, or a slice from a sharp knife. I remember arguing with a fellow pipe smoker how this didn't exactly fit the definition of a "krumble kake", but we seemed to agree that the cut is different, and it works..and well at that.

Because of the lack of excessive moisture, Briar Fox lights and burns with a focussed intensity. There's a relaxed variety here in how you can cut the block-like cakes, which is great for those who prefer long, smoldering smokes, or a short, fast burning exercise. I found it best to allow for a thicker cut, which cut the heat of the burn and didn't excessively tax my pipe.

The taste here is certainly a much different animal from your typical McClelland Virginia. It has the sweetness of a Virginia with something of a crisp definition in flavor. Briar Fox also manages to come with a body that will pack a wallop, which I have found rare for such a light Virginia blend comprised of mostly golden ribbons. Smoke this one with a tiny bowl, and you'll find yourself running for seconds. Good stuff.

The Fox is welcome in my home anytime.

4.0 of 4.0

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Notes: Originally blended by Cornell & Diehl for the pipemaker Peter Heeschen, this blend is thankfully available to the rest of us as well, as a secret too good to keep should be. I have smoked a number of tins of this as well as the bulk version, all of which I found similar. I like it best in a tall narrow briar pipe, as the blend seems to prefer a small bowl.

Appearance: Unusual. A dryish uncased plug, essentially. This blend comes as a "crumble cake" (i.e., a block of tobacco pressed from small flakes), usually a few inches on a side. Moisture content varies but, as with all Cornell & Diehl blends, is on the dry side. It is easy enough to peel a few layers off of the cake and crumble them up to fill a pipe with the rubbed out mixture, which is a complex mix of light brown, reddish, and darker brown leaves.

Aroma: Sweet raisin, brown sugar, prunes, cherries, fresh plums, maple syrup, Brown Bread, Boston Baked Beans.

Taste: Very soft and gentle flavor on the palate, though it can burn a bit if puffed too hard. Nutty, smoky, sour, ashy. Figs, vinegar, salt, fresh bread, walnut shells.

Comparisons: Like DAN's Hamborger Veermaster, this presents itself as a working man's blend, but with a warmer, fuller complexion. The leaf is of high quality, equal to Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, but it lacks the same elegance, having a more woodsy feel.

Bottom Line: A under-rated blend, that rates among the best, but which needs to be appreciated on its own merits. If you are seeking a full, rich "working man's" Virginia blend, you should try a tin of this.

DoctorMark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorMark (2)

I found Briar Fox in a sample pack I had ordered through C&D. I had several very good tobaccos in this package, but saved the Briar Fox till the end because it came tucked away in a can. Well, long story short, I eventually opened the can, smoked two bowlfuls, and immediately rushed the can to my friend, Joe, who happens to be my friendly neighborhood tobacconist.

"You gotta try this, Joe. I got this in a sample pack from Cornell and Diehl"

"Okay, sure, I'll give it a try."

Within a few minutes Joe's eyes had the same look of pleasure that I imagined I had when I first sampled the tobacco.

"Hey! This is good! It has kind of a "woody-nutty" taste!"

"That's exactly what I said, except I thought it had a "nutty-woody" taste!"

Long story short, Briar Fox became a staple of the store. Any newcomer who longed to try a "good Virginian" was referred to this blend. Soon, even Latakia smokers were seen purchasing a can of the Briar Fox!

In addition to tasting "nutty-woody" this tobacco also has the advantage of coming in convenient crumble cake form. I find the cakes sufficiently moist and easy to rub out. Many of my fellow pipe smokers tend to rub a cake or two out upon openning the can. My experience is that it stays moist enough to "pre-rub" for a surprisingly long time, but I got into the habit of grabbing a piece of the cake a little at a time.

My only warning is that, because this blend is pure Virginia, it burns on the hot side and should definitely be smoked slowly.

So....judge for yourself....is Briar Fox "woody-nutty" or "nutty-woody"? Tastes great....or less filling?

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

The tin contains two krumble cakes that would look like two bricks of chewing tobacco if they were compressed and contained considerably more moisture. Of course the cakes don?t contain much moisture at all and that is why they ?crumble.? Actually, I found the two cakes to be ?bone dry.? After breaking and rubbing them out, I re-hydrated the tobacco just a little.

This is a delightful, pure VA blend that is smooth, natural, straightforward and with a nicotine kick. It does not have a pronounced, classic VA sweetness and this it where it differs from many other VA blends. Briar Fox may be a bit harsh for some at first light but it soon evolves with pleasurable sweet and sour notes and a ever so slight spiciness / tanginess in the background as you progress down the bowl. Can I say this tobacco has a ?sweet tartness? or is that an oxymoron? As with all VA blends it is best enjoyed with a slow, smoking pace if not just sipped. It has excellent burning qualities with no bite. I think that any cigarette or cigar smoke would especially enjoy Briar Fox as it is an all natural blend with substantial nicotine. If you don?t like blends high in nicotine, stay away from ?the Fox.? If you are ?perique intolerant,? BF would be a good, pure VA blend to try.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

DUPE.1354 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Briar Fox like the tin reads Exceptionally Smooth! I enjoy the twang at the top but the best part is the round full finish.Perfect moisture.DGT works well.Note all three of the tins I have smoked had over a year of age.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)

This was my personal favorite. Crisp...fresh. All tobacco flavors are somewhat subdued, but present.

= update = I have demoted Briar Fox, having found that newer tins had a tendency to burn a little hot. It still is a part of the diet, but has been usurped by Royal Yacht as the principle.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

Sawdust. I tell ya, this is like smoking sawdust. It comes in a tin and is in a block of compressed small cut pieces. There was no real flavor. I don't know if I got a bad tin but I certainly did not enjoy smoking this weed. I tried letting this one sit for while, as sometimes helps some other C&D blends, but to no avail. Remained sawdust. I am a virginia / virginia-perique smoker and I have been sold on some fine burley blends ala Penington Gap and Barbary Coast but I will not waste any more time and energy on this little fox.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This Virginia brings to mind Three Friars, Bayou Morning and Pease's Stratford without the Perique. It is a very straight Virginia with the a distinctive red wine element which I find in some of the C&D tobaccos. This could be an all day smoke for the Va. lover. It is a tobacco I will be coming back to over the years. Paddy.

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Man this is a smooth VA, there is a bit of strength here from sweet Miss Nicci belied by its smooth, mild mannered nature. Sure is a great smoker though, with its subtle lemon-peppery zest...

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)

Another excellent blend from Cornell & Diehl. If you like Virginias, you must try this one. no bite and a wonderful flavor.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

This fills the gap in my rotation for a mild, flavorful, and tame Virginia pipe tobacco.

I really do not like the smell of casing when I open any tin, and I smell casing in Briar Fox. In BF, casing does not seem to interfere with the smoking aroma, taste, or temperature in the experience that counts.

Probably not the most economical blend I have smoked. My medium-large sized pipes seem to gobble this crumble cake up (I get 8 bowls from one 50 gram tin; a few bowls less than what I am accustomed).

A worthy Virginian. It is the first C&D blend I have tried, other than Two Friends. It will keep me trying more. Give it to a newbee for a proper introduction to premium tobacco.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

Not only does Peter Heeschen make fine pipes he (and Craig) know how to put together a fine virginia blend.

In The Tin: This comes in crumble cake form. I generally prefer ribbon cuts to all others but if it has to be something else this is about the easiest form to deal with. Just pinch off an edge and roll between finger and thumb and you get a nice packable mix. The aroma is a gentle sweet Virginia smell with just a hint of sour.

Taste: The first few puffs don't yield much taste. But after that it's all good. Pleasing subtle Virginia flavors and just the right amount of sweetness. The smoke is moderately rich and billowy, and quite satisfactory in mouth feel.

I would recommend this to pretty much anyone. It is the best introduction to pure Virginia blends out there. I'm going to be smoking my way through a good bit of this.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This has to be one of best kept secrets from Cornell and Diehl, upon removing the lid and unwrapping the clear plastic wrap I saw what looked like a couple of medium sized meat balls.

The packing of my Erik Neilsen was fairly easy as was the lighting of the tobacco itself. The tobacco itself was a two match light with the first just to lightly braise the tobacco. To my surprize (IMHO) there was very little tongue bite, but one needs to smoke this tobacco very slowly to enjoy the taste of the Virginias that are blended together.

I did notice the first 6 to 8 puffs the tobacco was not what I really expected, but continueing on became very rewarding as the sweetness of the Virginias were coming through. By the time I reached the bottom of the bowl I wanted at least another minute of this extraodinar blend.

If you enjoy the taste of a fine Virginia this tobacco is meant for you, and if you want to try a Virginia for the first time this is the one I would highly recommend. Cornell and Diehl have proved once more that you can enjoy a Virginia Blend without the harsh tongue bite.