An exceptionally smooth crumble cake of Virginias and Burleys.

Notes: The personal blend of well-known Danish pipe maker, the late Peter Heeschen. One of C&D's most popular tobaccos, Briar Fox is pressed into an old fashioned crumble cake.

Blended ByPeter Heeschen
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

Krumble Kakes are fun! This one was easy to work with - I simply pinched the cake between thumb and forefinger and a pinch of tobacco came off easily. I loaded as I would load a ribbon cut tobacco.

It's interesting how different smokers tastebuds are different. Unlike some smokers, I found nary a trace of sweetness in this blend. It was a rich, robust red VA flavor but it seemed tempered with burley, as it was more earthy. Not sure how they accomplished that with just VA's. This is the cigarette/cigar of pipe tobaccos, not because it tastes like one but because it had a similar mouth feel. It would be a high quality cigarette like the old Sobranies (without the condiment tobaccos, of course) or a mild, thin-guaged cigar, such as a panatela. As the bowl progressed, the flavor became richer and more cigar-like. This was like no other virginia blend I've ever smoked, and at the right times, it was fantastic. I don't see this in my regular rotation but it would make a nice occasional companion. This would smoke great outside in the fall, as the richness of the flavor would be subtly subdued. Interesting, unique blend. Try it if you think you know virginia. It may surprise you as it did me!

This blend finds itself, to my tastes anyway, somewhere between a straight Va ala Union Square or Dunhill Flake and an aromatic VA such as Davidoff's Danish Mixture. The problem for me is that I would rather reach for any of the aforementioned blends before I reach for this one.

It is something about the flavoring used in this blend that I do not find to my particular tastes. That said the flavoring is light and gets lighter with some age. My tin dated from 12/12/12 and I opened it within a month of that date. My first impressions were much less favorable than the later ones.

The tin presentation is fantastic. The Kake was almost a perfect cube. Although I didn't do a thorough inspection, I don't believe there was any little pieces separated from the cube. My first thoughts were it would be hard to crumble, but was I wrong. A simple pinch into the kake made a beautiful crumble of tobacco that needed very little rubbing to make it smokable.

Like nearly all C & D blends that I ahve tried the moisture level was perfect from the get go. As I said earlier the initial smoking impression was not impressive. I found the topping to overtake the underlying Va's which would be fine if I enjoyed that particular topping; otherwise, the smoking characteristics and nicotine were perfect.

As time wore (It lasted me until last night so a little over 7 months)on and my block got smaller this got better. The topping seemed to dissipate with a little air time and the vas came more to the front and what I tasted was a great Va. Even the DGT got better with time, as my earlier notes stated that the DGT was no unlike a burley blend, but later I had some sublime results with a dgt.

Overall, I think this blend has the potential to be fantastic with some age and I will likely repurchase for that purpose alone.

7/29/13 Update I thought it important to share some information that developed after I copied this review to PSF. It started a conversation about how this was treated which manifiested itself in an email to C & D. Chris Tarler responded back that there was no topping on this blend, but that there was a little Burley in it. Apparently it is the pressing of this blend with the burleys that gives it its unique flavor. FWIW, I thought I would share.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Upon opening the tin, the slightly sweet & sour smell of quality aged Virginia leaf hit my nostrils. I took out a chunk of the crumble cake that others here have described so well, and rubbed it out with no trouble. Although on the dry side, this one did not remind me of the Mojave as other C&D blends have. I found the humidity level in Briar Fox to be just right.

I really could not detect any topping or casing as I smoked; rather, a tobacco taste that for some reason reminded me of cigarettes - although more elegant in flavor.

This blend seemed to pick up flavor and strength the more I smoked it. I do like my nicotine and Briar Fox delivered nicely in that category as well.

In summation, this one starts out slow, picks up steam at mid-bowl and finishes with a strong and spicy kick. I think Briar Fox will age well, too. So, I have ordered more tins for my proverbial "cellar."

*And, since this review comes your way on 12/31/03 I'd sure like to wish all of my fellow reviewers a happy and prosperous New Year. Those of you who post reviews here have certainly been a wealth of information for me. For that, I thank you all for helping to make my pipe smoking hobby even more enjoyable.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Before the rains come this warm summer day, I relaxed under the back yard pin oak - with my Sunday pipe (a Butz-Choquin Cocarde bulldog) and a bowl of C&D Briar Fox. I received several half ounce samples with a few orders from my preferred enabler. My first smoke of this tobacco several weeks back wasn't very pleasant. Of course, it does help if you crumble against the grain (lesson learned). Today's smoke was far more enjoyable.

For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of a smoke with this tobacco, I'll give you my newbie impressions.

Have you seen those YouTube videos where someone is discussing his new pipe or new tobacco in a veritable haze of smoke? Do you enjoy getting lost in the over-abundant fog of smoke spilling over itself? If so, this tobacco probably isn't for you. In my opinion, this Virginia is meant to be sipped, not gulped. And a deep, serious tobacco it is. If it were food, it would be a chocolate cake - made of the darkest chocolate from a planet not yet discovered.

The first half bowl was a bit like my first experience - somewhat monochrome. But halfway through the bowl Tinkerbell must have arrived with her pixie dust, as the tobacco took on a whole new range. Each slow puff took the flavor and aroma deeper and deeper. By the time I'd made it down to ash, it occurred to me that this is one tobacco I will never smoke indoors or around non-smokers: the sale of the tin should come with a secret handshake.

It is a wonderful smoke for a Sunday afternoon when all you really want to do is read a few pages of a good book or even better just gaze at the branches above your head. I wouldn't want to try driving either during or immediately following, as it has some serious nicotine. If you are like me and you enjoy fruit with your smoke, cherries are a wonderful complement to the deep chocolate of the tobacco.

I'm thinking of purchasing a few tins with the next order from my enabler - to cellar for a year. Perhaps a bit of age might bring out even more flavors than Tinkerbell's pixie dust.

The Virginias are a mixed bag of flavors. There's a slight tangy sweetness and a touch of fruit and some earth from the red Virginia. The other Virginias are a little grassy and hay-like, with some dullness, and little citrus. The burley has some earth and nuts, not much sweetness and gives off a toasty, mildly sharp cigar/cigarette taste that isn't very attractive to my taste buds. Doesn't bite, but can tingle the tongue if not sipped, and has a couple harsh notes. Has a moderate nic-hit. The krumble kake is easy to break apart, burns slow, with not much moisture left in the bottom of the bowl. Needs some relights. Has a rough after taste. Probably deserves a higher rating than I give it, but compared to mixtures in the same genre, it doesn't measure up very well.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Lies! Lies I tell you! This is no straight virginia. There is plenty of burley here. Granted it is good burley that C&D is known for, but the virginia flavor is well surpassed by the burleys here. Definite nuttiness and cocoa predominate the flavor profile. This is probably great for burley lovers, which I am not one. I just checked the C&D website which confirms my burley suspicions. Updating the description as of today on this site to reflect true contents.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 63

Purchased From: sp

rougarou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rougarou (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A crumble cake that crumbles easily, packs easily and burns just as easy. I believe there is a touch of burley in this blend which tames the Virginias (no bite) and adds a bit of earthiness to the smoke. Nothing to shout about, but nothing to shake a stick at either. A fine, relaxing smoke that doesn't take my mind off whatever I'm doing, be it watching old episodes of Gunsmoke and anticipating Marshall Dillon's next move, or simply relaxing in the shade soaking up the serenity of a lazy summer afternoon.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 14 mos.

As it usually happens to me with many Cornell & Diehl?s blends, it takes sometime before I actually realize the excellence and the quality of these tobaccos. Always on the dry side?the tobaccos seem to be processed in such a way that the essential oils and the natural juices are all dried up?the first impression is of a rather raw, almost stale taste. But as you keep on puffing, the different layers of flavor slowly reveal themselves to reach a point where you become completely enraptured in the smoking experience. Briar Fox is a case in point.

This comes in crumble cake. On opening the small round tin you actually get the impres-sion of tightly compressed slices of meat loaf. It is very easy, well, to crumble, pack and light. A blend of straight Va?s., tin aroma is a bit pungent, but completely natural and unlike any other Virginia I have sampled (it is not at all sweet, winy or with a note of dried raisins, not even soapy, but sharp, earthy and straw-like).

The first few puffs yield a rather bawdy, rough tang. But this impression wears off almost immediately to produce a naturally tasty smoke, composed of different but harmonious layers. The dryness of the tobaccos allow for a wonderful burning rate and lingers on throughout the smoke. The apparent simplicity of the mixture tends to build up as you smoke it, evolving into a very agreeable, austere and natural taste. You kind of get carried away by the subtle interplay between grassy notes, a certain bitterness and a faint sour-sweetness that barley insinuates in the background. Great stuff!

This is a tobacco that can be smoked indoors (although those around you won?t be particularly enthusiastic), but I prefer to smoke it outdoors, either relaxing in a garden chair or when walking in open coun-try. Recommended as one of the most natural Virginia experiences you?ll encounter.

Sweet, nutty, lightly earthy Burley with a background of sweet hay Virginias. That's what I get in a cob. Taste so good that I won't smoke it in anything else. This is a lovely smoke. The only drawback is that it can burn a little hot. I'm a puffer though and you may not have that problem. 4 stars for the flavor, minus one for the heat.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavorings detected. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)

Man this blend is as old as the hills (well not really) but it has been around for more than a decade and i just finally got around to trying it. I just finished a tin that was fairly young so i assume that it can only get better with age as C&D does not age their tins to the extent that McClelland does. Another delicous smelling tobacco Brownie ala C&D that makes me want to take a bite.. Browns and Blonde square Brownie staring up at me just begging to be pinched into a bowl sized nugget. IMHO C&D, Uhles and Peretti have access to the best Burley grown today and the varietal used in BF is mild and nutty, not the kick you in the teeth strain used in OJK and Haunted Bookshop which lets the blonde Virginia do it's thing. A medium blend all around, not weak in the nicotine and has a very nice flavor that works well in a Dublin to amplify the taste as the bowl narrows at the end. Some Perique blends do not work well for me in these pipes as they can amplify the spicyness to a level that's off putting. A great summertime mowing the lawn / fishing , putzing around the house blend that does not bite and has a wonderful nutty old timey pipe aroma that the family did not object to. Thinking about buying the pound that comes in a Fox Ears shape to put away for future summers. It's too bad i did not try BF earlier but hey that's half the fun of piping, trying new blends every month or so which makes finding a new friend that much more special.

AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (8)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I came into possession of this tobacco in four half ounce sample packets included as a bonus from SPC orders over a year ago. I had decided from the beginning to put a year of cellaring on them, as my taste was not on VA at that time. So into a small jelly jar they went April a year ago.

Last week it was time. The cake cubes were very much intact, and the original aroma diminished. I sliced off a nice section, and sniffed the cut. The expected sour/vinegar smell was there, but not the sweet/sour of McClelland blends. There was also a heavy hint of what was very close to stale urine. I was not impressed...

The cake cut well and crumbled easily. On the rub out, the "Prince Albert" burley smell became crisp, along with a hint of something slightly sweet. Overall, the smell of this rubbed out is very much like certain cigarette tobaccos. As I was to soon discover, this is something that carries forward with the smoke.

First pipe choice was a small, pre-1934 Smokemaster Apple straight (before the patent), without the pipe cleaner in is as a filter. I like small bowl pipes to sample Virginias. The final rub was a nice mix of light and dark short ribbons, and it packed easily and firm. The char light held the height of the tobacco, and lit evenly. Second light got it full on, and the flavors came out.

I smoked cigarettes--brands and RYO--for 40 years. My first thought was that I had torn a cigarette apart--or filled the pipe with Bugler. The whole mouth & throat bite, complete with the ashy cigarette taste in the mouth. Only by a small sip could any VA sort of sweetness be determined--and a regular pull VERY full and what some call 'earthy.' My lexicon has that as a mild dirt taste...

By the first third of the bowl, I had a pleasant nic buzz--more than any of the Balkans I smoke and INHALE. My discovery was to be gentle with it, as it will turn hot and nasty in a heartbeat. After letting it go out at the halfway mark, I re-lit a half hour later. The slightly sweet and the heavy nutty of the burly were all there, but it still smoked like cigarette tobacco. It gets stronger toward the bottom--and begins to be more like smoking a natural wrapper cigar. Can't tell you what the bottom quarter was like, as I never smoke a pipe beyond that.

The next experiment was to rub and roll as a RYO in a Zig Zag paper. I will not dwell on this, but it smokes fine as a cigarette. Onward, I chose an old BBB bulldog meer for its larger chamber. This smoked slowly allows more of the flavors to develop--but still resembles and tastes like a well blended, strong cigarette, and quickly shifts to cigar notes in the bottom half.

The final stop was in an 1861 German meer, with a bowl so big it took pretty well a whole 2oz block. Here it burned much slower and cooler, and allowed more of the VA to emerge--but it is a dry, straight and uncomplicated. No figs, chocolate, new mown hay, nuts, or unicorn farts. Very clean and raw in my estimation. I made myself nearly sick with the nicotine on this round.

Burns to a grey, cohesive ash just like cigarette blends. Final opinion? If you like smoking cigs, and milder, natural Connecticut wrapper Costa Rican cigars, this is for you. Fully satisfying from that perspective. Makes a nice RYO, and a not too unpleasant blend for a changeup. However, I will not be adding it to my cellar--when it is gone, it is gone.

Pipe Used: pre-1934 Smokemaster Apple, 1919 BBB bulldog meer

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: SPC Samples

This is a good untopped Va/Bur. It is a Krumble Kake and a pinch rubs out nicely to large short ribbons. Moisture was good from the tin.

The first smoke was in a GBD pot that smokes everything well - or so I thought. It was a little ho-hum. The next bowl was in a billiard, and was much better. Subsequent bowls have been very good in a variety of pipes. In terms of flavor, I got sweet and slightly tart Virginia with some earthy body provided by the burley. I got a little sour-sweet at the end of a bowl but no bitter. The taste is natural and it was an easy smoke. It did not burn hot or wet.

This was very enjoyable and I have no regrets. I am unlikely to buy more because it is only available in a tin, and the effective cost per pound is high. For my money in a Va/Bur, there are better choices.

Age When Smoked: My tin had the new art, so fresh off the press...

Purchased From: Pipe World in Austin, TX

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)

This is going to be a regular rotation in the cold winter months, especially during hunting season. I found it to smoke warm. But it had a nice full flavor and a great heady satisfying smoke. A very strange smoke to me. Not the typical virginia. Not the expected sweetness, but something really quite good.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL15

Purchased From: Allegheny Smokeworks

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Briar Fox comes in a perfect crumble cake perfect for rubbing out to a great packable tobacco. This blend burns slow and smooth. As for flavor I first have to say that Virginia tobaccos are amazing. One leaf has so many possible flavors. sweet, spicy, light, dark, strong, mild. What an amazing leaf virginia tobacco is. Briar Fox is to me an example of how spicy virginias can be. Overall its a delightful, strong, bold, spicy virginia of the highest quality. Bravo Cornell & Diehl.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

First off, I have become enamored with Krumble Kakes recently. I just love the presentation and enjoy tearing off a chunk to put in my pipe. Briar Fox comes as one of these Kake brownies in the tin with gold, brown, and flecks of black tobaccos. Looks an awful lot like a "blondie."

The tin note to me is more Burley than Virginia. I detect more chocolatey, raisiny, nuttiness than sweetness, breadiness, and tang. I know BF is considered a VA/Bur, but I think of it more as a Bur/VA. If that makes sense. I find it to be more dominant in Burley than Virginia. That may not be the case, but I definitely taste more Burley than Virginia. At any rate, I definitely enjoyed it. This is a great tobacco that I will revisit on occasion. Probably pretty frequently, at that.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: About a year

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know why it took me so long to review the wonderful tobacco. Briar Fox is the blend I use to break in all of my pipes, be they new or just new to me. The reason I use Briar Fox to break in my pipes is that it smokes the same for me in any size pipe, regardless of bowl diameter or depth, I know what I should expect from every bowl. I enjoy the sweet Red Virginia tang and the slight heft that the Burley adds to the mix. I also smoke Briar Fox, when I just need a tobacco that I don't have to think about, that's not a bad thing here, as sometimes you just want to puff away and sort of zone out! This subtlety of flavor will also quickly reveal any ghosts the pipe may have. Many smokers keep Carter Hall or Prince Albert around for those times when only a simple, uncomplicated smoke will satisfy, Briar Fox does this for me.

Pipe Used: All, at one time or another

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I've smoked through a half ounce of this and expected to like it much more than I actually did.

Bonus points for being a crumble cake. It smells good, somewhat reminiscent of Jack Knife Plug.

I think DK nailed it with the 'cigarette or cigar' mouthfeel. Unlike him, I think that also comes through in the taste. It's earthy to a fault. I'm not one for super sweet VA blends, but this is lacking in not only sweetness, but also in zestiness and that nice pungent tanginess that I really like in VAs. Instead, there is earthiness in spades. I think that the burley component is pretty significant here. I started smoking it and didn't care for it, but could understand how a particular type of smoker could smolder this all day. Then the halfway point came, and it just kept getting harsher and harsher. Maybe age would smooth out these very rough edges, but I'm not inclined to find out.

I'm giving it two stars rather generously, but am picturing there being folks out there who want something vaguely cigarish and earthy. Maybe this wouldn't seem harsh to those folks.

Pipe Used: Lots of them

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Review of free 1/2 oz sample...First of all, be careful when breaking up this kake as it may contain a few sharp woody bits. Bag note is sweet Virginia at it's best! Moisture level is perfect; ready to smoke soon after crumbling. 95% good quality tobacco with just a few woody or stemy bits to pick over. Very tasty sweet Virg from charring light to bottom of bowl; more of a fig like sweetness, less raisiny than Old Gowrie. That great C&D Burley is present and makes for a bit quicker/hotter burn than a straight Virg. Very well behaved in my pipe; no fuss and smokes to a fine clean ash. N level is medium- and very predictable. I've enjoyed this stuff quite a bit and feel that it makes a great morning smoke. I'll be buying some soon. Hope this helps.

Pipe Used: MM DIPLOMAT COB

Age When Smoked: fresh free sample

Purchased From: free from smokingpipes.com

Cornell & Diehl - Briar Fox.

The krumble kake is excellent to work with. Unlike, say, Black Frigate, which needs a firm rubbing, a bowls worth of Briar Fox can be easily pinched off the block. I find the moisture smokeable, maybe a touch too moist, but nothing much.

To my palate, this has the quintessential VaBur taste: rich, nutty, and rustic, notes from the Burley, with a touch of sweetness from the Virginia. I don't get a cigarette taste, unlike many esteemed reviewers, and nor do I get any topping/extra flavours. It's a medium thickness smoke, and I don't get a speck of tongue bite. The burn from B.F. is completely faultless, for the whole bowl.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note's nice.

This is a very good VaBur, but it gets a subjective rating of three stars, as I prefer English/Balkans at present.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Four months

Purchased From: Smokingpipes.cm

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Beautiful large brick of cake in the tin. Smells fermented, sour, slightly sweet, hayish, with hints of prunes. Not what I was expecting.

Easy to break off a chunk and rub out. Perfect moisture right from the tin. Easy to load into a pipe, but don't smash it down too much as it expands a bit when lit. Lights very easily and remains so as long as your tamping is easy, but firm.

Flavors of nut, hay, dried fruit, and straight tobacco dominate this smoke. Hints of spice and chocolate toy with my senses, but are very light and mild. One can sense just a tad of tongue bite, I assume that is from the alkaline nature of the burley. It's not overpowering and keeps quite smooth throughout the smoke. It is different than most of the other blends I have tried, but I'm not one who has smoked a lot of burley blends either. The smoke is not complex and is one you can enjoy on a nice summer day. Sit back and enjoy the flavors and relax. Definitely a nice blend that I will enjoy from time to time.

Pipe Used: Cob, Neerup Billard, Rattray Rhodisian

Age When Smoked: Tin Age 05/2015

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home - Classic Burley Kake (Signature Series).

This is based on a single tin that was purchased and cellared at least two years ago (maybe more as my sticker was now gone) as I have a better time with many C&D blends after a little bit of aging. Briar Fox is an easy to work with crumble cake and at first light, I thought that this was going to be much more Burley in flavor than Virginia. But it quickly settled down and the Virginia sweetness evened off the smoke. I don’t detect any added flavoring and the Virginias taste more to the bright side, leaving me wanting a bit more red in the blend than I could taste. BF smokes cool and there is definitely some strength to it which I enjoy. I didn’t taste the cigar or cigarette flavor that others have mentioned and I am guessing that the time in the cellar helped to dissipate that outcome. However, my issue with this blend comes in the later stages of each bowl. I simply don’t care for the flavor after about two thirds the way though, which was disappointing as I really enjoyed the beginning stages of this smoke. By the time I had finished a little more than half a tin, I had lost interest. Oh well….

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

This is a text book crumble cake. Pouch aroma of nuts, a bit of fruit sweetness, raisin and sorghum molasses smell. Preparing was super easy; break a chunk off, and rub it out with ease. I Moisture content seemed a bit low for a crumble cake, almost makes you wonder how it stays pressed like it does. Takes a few relights along the way. Smoke is silky smooth for a partial burley blend. I love the room note! I can't say there is anything I can compare this to so far, it seems like a fairly unique blend. I'm sure this ages nicely too!

Age When Smoked: 2-4 months

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)

The tin note is red Virginia all the way but more earthy then sharp. First half of the bowl is that same red Virginia and after that the burley starts to come thru stronger as the bowl goes done eventually washing the Virginia away but a slight sweetness still remains. A good blend but it's kind of dirty tasting also. I think it's the burley doing that. It's good but not a wow for me.

MAPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAPiper (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This a a good tobacco. It feels very old fashioned like something my grand father would have smoked. It's a no non-sense straight ahead type of tobacco. It's a virginia and burley taste and not sweet. I got a tin about five years ago or so. I smoked a little then jarred it and forgot it. I just tried some again. It's pretty smooth now. It's a good smoke but won't be a regular for me. It's good for working in the yard or gardening when you don't need to focus on the smoke. I bet it would be a good all day smoke for someone who likes a stouter, stronger VA flavor.

Pipe Used: briars, meers

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)

I have found a whole new world getting into Burley blends. Robust like my beloved Latakia blends, but in a differant way (nice and earthy). Saying that, this one has just enough Burley to keep me interested. Mild, easy, cool burning smoke. C&D really knows how to do Burley. In my trial of a few of their Burley blends, here is how I rank them in taste and amount of Burley: Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Bayou Morning, Briar Fox, and last (with next to no Burley) Night Train. My wife, that rates my room note because she has to deal with them, found this one very nice.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Briar fox great name... The tobacco blend is Virginias with some burley noted and is presented as a kake. The tobacco itself was easy to work with and easy to pack in the bowl. The smoke was nice with a room note that was tolerable no real flavors noted but not a bad thing. I feel this product wasn't bad but by far not my favorite. I will most likely cellar this mostly because my taste for tobacco may change in the future and it may age well. The tin artwork was also a very cool concept figured I would comment on that.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com Brooksville fl

Similar Blends: Virginia blends, and any type of burly blend..

I received a 1/2 ounce sample with a recent order from smokingpipes.com - thank you! The sample arrived as 2 small crumble cakes. A very mild Virginia smell coming from the sample bag. Breaking up and loading for the pipe was an easy affair and it took to the match very well, remaining lit throughout the smoke. I am predominantly a Burley smoker (ABF, Burley Slice, Irish Flake, ODF) and find many Virginias to lack the body I would like in a smoke. Briar Fox I like. It reminds me of Pease's Union Square, but milder and not as harsh. I can't detect any flavoring and no PG which was off putting for me in their Autumn Evening offering. There is a fairly decent nic kick so one needs to smoke this slowly. Even with fast puffing I couldn't get this to smoke hot nor did it cause any bite. Before trying I thought I wouldn't like it, but Briar fox proved to be a relaxing, tasty (in a natural tobacco way) smoke. Since I am predominantly a Burley smoker I don't smoke any Virginia on a daily basis but Briar Fox would be first on my list of Virginias that I would reach for when the mood strikes. Very enjoyable and a solid 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Old Dr. Grabow long stemmed billiard for testing.

Purchased From: Free 1 oz sample from Smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: GL Pease Union Square, but milder.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have discovered that this Briar Fox blend tastes good, smells good, and has a large dose of 'Tine. I am steering away from aromatics for health reasons more than anything, but I do like a nice sweet tasting smoke, and I have found that it is the Virginia tobaccos which provide that natural sweetness that I like. As others have said already and better, the smoke is sweet and forward and very smooth if you are patient with the briar. Put the pipe down for three minutes or so and just a few short, quick puffs had it burning nicely again when I came back to it- didn't have to re-light. Smells good enough that I do not piss off everyone on campus (I do tend to take others' senses into consideration when smoking) when I light up, burns mellow and sweet if you carefully sip, and even looks pretty good, dark and red and, well, "foxy".

Side note: Krumble Kake sounds Kool, like Krusty the Klown.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)

I'm not sure why it took me so long to try this one. I think there was some skepticism on my part that it was strong enough to satisfy me, not to mention that it is a dutch pipemakers blend. It just said light and boring to me. I'm glad that a couple of my favorite reviewers had tried it and liked it. So, I ordered an 8oz tin and gave it a whirl.

The tin had no date stamped on it, so dating is difficult. Seems to have what I would think were at least 6 months age on it. The bricks are somewhat damp though not overly so. (It was illusiory in the end, because the tobacco was at a perfect smoking humidity when rubbed out to smoke.)They also have a very nice press on them, very compacted and neatly cut. There is little shake in the tin at all even after what I can only guess was significant shipping movement. Very nice presentation. The tobacco is a beautiful reddish brown with darker and lighter highlights. The cake rubs out easily.

No problems in packing. False light smoke was delicious. True light after 15 minutes rest was one of the best virginia experiences I have ever had. True mixture of deep and bright flavors with the edge going to those that are dark and earthy. Serious cereal/grain flavors are present throughout the bowl. Black coffee, dark chocolate, dates, figs, and undefinable creamy flavors are constantly dancing in and out of the starring role. A true ensemble cast with equal strengths.

I found this to be at best a medium pace puffer. It really does shine when it is sipped, which is easy because it stays lit so beautifully. No bite whatsoever, but like I said before, medium cadence was as hard as I puffed. A longer smoke than most virginias give me and that I am thankful for. I smoke alot of bowls in a day, and the longer they last the better. The bowl smoked cool and dry to the heel. No overheating with this one.

I think this is easily an all day smoke for the hardier types such as myself, but may be a bit much for the lighter style pipesters. Although smooth and tasty, it does carry a fully medium dose of Nicotine.

I'm not sure what to make of all the negative reviews. I found this one very hard to find fault with. It should make most virginia fans pretty happy.

Cheers!

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

When I first popped the lid on this tin (20 months old), it reminded me of Kajun Kake, both in presentation and aroma (I smell brownies).

The tobacco is very dry, so I have to smoke it rubbed out whether I like it or not.

My biggest issue with this tobacco is the consistency of taste throughout the bowl. It starts out well enough but gets more bitter as the bowl goes on. I have tried new pipes and carefully cleaned pipes and I still get the same result. I also find that DGT does not work well with this blend either.

Actually, when I smoke straight Virginia tobacco, I prefer some sweetness such as found in McClelland #27, Dark Star or Christmas Cheer. There is very little sweetness here.

It is not a bad tobacco, I am just less impressed every time I smoke it. Maybe a 4 or 5 year old tin will yield better results for me.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am an explorer of the VA landscape these days. Don't get me wrong, I am still a Latakia junkie, but one must have variety! The tin I consigned to ash is another stop in my journey. I am afraid that this one gave me mixed feelings. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a brick of various VA's: Red, Mohagany, and Golden. The tin aroma is a little tangy and vinegary. Crumble this well before packing or it will give you frustration trying to keep it lit! Initial flavor is not very good, smelled like cigarettes! Blech! I almost gave up, but I persevered. Mid-bowl gets better. You now start getting an interplay between the sweet, sour, and spicy leaves. I think I detect a little perique (my throat got a little scratchy). I found that DGT works good with this blend. Bottom third of the bowl intensified the flavor a little more, but before you know it, you are sucking ash. I found I was trying to get more flavor out of this blend than it has, so I didn't burn my tongue, but sure did burn the roof of mouth the first few bowls. I suppose that if you concentrate, you might enjoy this blend, but with other blends like Old Gowrie or Orlick Golden Sliced available, why fight with this one? So, in ending, this is a good middle weight blend, but not a great one. Rating 2.5 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Disney-esqe tin art proclaims this is a best seller, and I can see why. This is a very solid Burley/Va blend in an easy to rub out crumble cake form. It packs and lights easily, yet burns fairly slowly. The burley becomes much more pronounced as it burns down to a fine white powder. A little condimental tobacco would keep this more interesting, but there is something here for everyone. For my tastes, C&D is the king of burley/Va blends. For those who want to try such blends, Briar Fox is the perfect place to start.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

There’s nothing very exciting about Briar Fox. But nothing to displease you either. It is an easy, well behaved tobacco with natural tobacco taste where neither the Virginias nor the Burleys stand out. It has a cigaretty quality but cigarettes do not come as good and natural. And there’s also a bit of the Burley nuttiness and some mild tangy sourness to make it more varied. It’s not complex but it’s not monochromatic either.

I find Briar Fox to be a good solid tobacco which is perfect when you don’t want anything complex but instead a good “meat and potatoes” blend. In a category of natural-tasting and not "in your face with flavour" Briar Fox is an excellent blend. 3.5*

Cat Jockey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cat Jockey (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I had high hopes for this blend, considering my last name is Fox, lol. But, I must say I find it to be a bit of a disappointment. I feel like I should give this at least two stars, somewhat recommended, but for me, it is a 1-1.5 star tobacco. It isn't horrible on the palate, nor a poor quality tobacco; it is simply a bit too absent on the palate. Rather bland and mild. One of those two can be okay, but both bland and mild in one dose won't do for me. This would be an excellent choice for a cigarette smoker to use to make the transition and ditch the sticks, though (I'm an ex-Camel non-filtered smoker). So for that person, this would be at least a three star tobacco.

To qualify all of that, the one VaBur in my rotation to which I am comparing Briar Fox is Tilbury (I am fortunate to have a Tobacconist that has bags of several Esoterica tobaccos on the shelf), and I really like that VaBur - and it is a much fuller and more flavorful smoke. I also prefer straight Va, Va/Oriental, and VaPers to VaBurs in general, with McClelland's treatment of the Virginia Leaf being what I consider the standard by which to judge, so a VaBur aficionado may appreciate this more than I. But, if you are a VaBur passer-by and just exploring, this is, well, a rather bland and mild one to me that is a little cigartetty (in a good way with quality).

A tin I'll finish, but not replace ...

Pipe Used: Nuttin' but Cobs for me ...

TwoOneFive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwoOneFive (3)

One of the best C&D blends in their extensive lineup. The 1lb brick comes vacuum sealed in a bag. If you plan to cellar I would recommend getting the two or eight ounce tins instead. This, like many C&D blends, needs some shelf time to soften and meld. With as little as six months age it really opens up and becomes a bit more complex. This can be an all day smoke and won't have any tounge burn or wear out your pallet.

Pipe Used: Deep, wide pokers and billiards

Age When Smoked: One year plus

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

Perfect moisture to smoke right away, the krumble kake is fun to prepare and it smokes slowly. I found out it works better in a smaller, pipe with time on hand. This tobacco, is an autumn smoke for me, the flavors are akin to this kind of weather.

I find more Burley taste than Virginia, in fact it's very nutty with cocoa bean accents and I am reminded of an earthy cigar that is very smooth tasting. There's some toasty, brioche like flavors as well but they play second violins. Also as with many C&D offerings, the tobacco is on the strong side for me, must be a personal chemistry thing. Overall, a quality Bur/Va related in taste to french Brun or Scaferlati tobacco.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)

A lot of the more negative reviews stem from the way the blend is touted as virginia spiced with burley. Many smokers just aren't fans of burley. I'm not one of them, I happen to love burley of all kinds, and this blend definitely has more than a smattering off burley in it. I'd wager there's at the minimum 50% burley content, probably higher. So I can see why many might be put off from the outset. Sort of like taking a big swig of what you thought was milk only to find its buttermilk instead. If you already enjoy burley, it's likely you'll enjoy this blend a lot more.

The crumble cake brick looks like a piece of rotted particle board and breaks apart quite easily. Moisture content is about perfect, almost on the dry side. It imparts a pleasant aroma of hay and fermented fruit, almost fig-like. I find the flavors more pronounced in a cob packed much more loosely than you would pack a typical virginia. The flavor is dominated by nutty and vaguely sweet burley, and the virginia just serves as a little extra body with accents of hay. I really enjoy the flavor, gently puffed while absorbed in a book. It's like carter hall without the topping and taken to the next level. Pairs very well with a cup of coffee.

All in all, this is a pretty enjoyable vabur made with the quality burley C&D is known for. Just know up front that what you're actually getting with BF is more burley spiced with virginia...or tempered with virginia anyhow. It can burn very hot when pushed, which doesn't bite or ruin the smoke, but makes the experience less enjoyable. Solid 3.5 stars for me and one I believe I'll keep in rotation.

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

SP lists this as C&D's best seller, a combination of Virginias and Burleys. While accurate, there's Va/Bur and then there's va/BUR. This is the latter. If you're looking for complex Virginia undertones, look somewhere else.

It's appropriately dry and easy to rub out, although laziness has led to me just knifing some of the cake off and dropping it in a pipe. It burns just fine that way too. I tend to smoke it at a glacial Virginia-appropriate pace, but this could be bitey if pushed - it might make the Burley pop more to smoke it hot though.

As far as flavor goes, it's a nutty Burley. Briar Fox is the apex predator of drugstore blends. There's not a lot here, but folks looking for a simple Burley blend will find it pleasant enough.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was drawn in by the fancy packaging on the tin.

This is a brick of Burley. If you like bricks, and blending-grade Burley, then this is for you. If you're thinking that this is a pressed cake of Virginias spiced with Burley, I'd look elsewhere if I were you. As it stands, this is the type of blend I'd take on a camping trip, to smoke while drinking light beer in warm weather. But if I lost it or accidentally dropped it in the campfire, I likely wouldn't bother to buy any more.

Pipe Used: chimney-type billiards

Age When Smoked: fresh (bulk)

Similar Blends: blending-grade Burley. but in a brick..

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

This is one of the first tobacco's I smoked. I really liked it then but all I could really say about it was that I liked it. It was in my rotation for about a year. This is from a jar that has just a little age on it but I wanted to come back to it again. I still like it. The VA's are tangy and a little sharp out front with some grassy notes following behind. This is balanced by the burley which gives the blend depth and adds earthy notes to it. Overall, just a great blend that is slightly complex but not overly so. I enjoy this is early fall and late spring and it will remain in my rotation. If you are a Va/bur lover this one is a must try.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr. 8 months

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)

This is an interesting blend. First it's a krumble kake. Second it doesn't really have the sweetness one would expect from a Virginia blend. Third for the amount of burley it isn't very nutty. So what do you get when you smoke this blend? You get a smooth, nonbiting, slow burning smoke. Highly Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briar

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)

Another home run by C&D! This is an exceedingly smooth blend, the very definition of an all-day smoke.

Crumble cakes are my favorite cut, so easy to work with and infinitely customizable. This comes in an attractive block that is predominantly a press of medium brown ribbon, but includes lemon Virginias and some blackened pieces, presumably uncased cavendish. The tin note is mild straight tobacco. Great tin art too with a 70s exploitation cartoon fox with a floppy hat, turtleneck, and wide lapel jacket- think Shaft.

It takes the match well and burns cool and dry. The smoothness jumps out, and the smoke is soft and velvety like rain water. There is a wonderful aroma that is mossy with some boozy undertones. The impression is one of utter freshness, but no hint of being green, unseasoned, or harshness as in a young tobacco. A latent sweetness persists throughout the bowl. As the bowl progresses you are greeted by some woody and toasted notes. Cobs accentuate the dark notes while briars contribute to sweetness.

I've plowed through this tin quicker than anything I've yet tried. It hits all the right notes in all the right ways. A unique VaBur that is like nothing else I have yet tried. Fantastic.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Very Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yesterday my one-pound brick of this wonderful blend arrived. I can't stop smoking it! It has all of the best qualities of Virginia and the best qualities of burley! Right now it is in a huge CAO meerschaum, just as sweet, earthy, and delightful as a blend could be. I wish I had known about this stuff years ago! Yet another truly great tobacco from the artists at Cornell and Diehl!

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)

I bought two tins of this blend from a guy's duffle bag of blends being offered for sale at our 2014 NASPC show in August. I was curious about it as it had predominately positive reviews. I intended to use it as a Virginia component in English microblending. I was obliged to sell one tin to a long time Virginia smoking buddy of mine and he felt so-so about it. I opened the other tin and this is what I found: a light-colored, brownie-sized rectangular chunk of naturally aromatic and quite variegated tobacco in appearance. The variegation ran the gamut from light blond to dark and was not only appealing to the eye, but looked very much like a lot of medium English blends that I have smoked - most unusual for a Virginia blend. I then lit up and found it to be a pleasant smoke; more pleasant than any Virginia blend I could remember. The taste and aroma were somewhat narrow compared to Englishes I had been smoking, but there was a wonderful nuance of flavors in the smoke. In there, somewhere, was a slight kick-up in taste that I later found out was a Burley component. I enjoyed this blend far above almost all other Virginias I have tried. I started to give it three stars and then thought, you're judging it as to how it can stand up to an English blend - judge it for what it is: a four star blend. Good job C&D!

Pipe Used: Ashton 1/3 bent billiard

Age When Smoked: several months old

Purchased From: individual seller

Similar Blends: nothing I can remember.

reedsteve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reedsteve (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is obviously easier to comment on the other fine reviews here than to conjure up an original thought. Accounting for that, it is interesting to look at the differing thought about taste clues questioning addition of other leaf components. That variability may well be what draws experienced pipe smokers to the better "blends". Finding an individual leaf that has it all may be out of the league of probability as a fine grape is to wine. It may be noted that this is far from a typical Danish blend in every way but for having Heeschen's name attached.

Do you ever get a blend that really does not answer your requirements for a blend but still, you keep on smoking it. Well this one is like that for me. When smoking VA's, I like the taste to be haylike sweet, with a little tang and I like it smooth and creamy with the smoke. This blend really is not sweet but does have a good flavor, it has no twang but is very rich, and it really is not smooth and creamy but is a little rough around the edges. I recieved a two ounce bag of it to try, and for the past two days it is all I have wanted to smoke, I am on my last bowl now, enough for a pot Wilmer AAA I am smoking and I will be sad in the morning, so I for sure will be ordering more of this one.

The tobacco smeels musty in the bag, it is rough cut little flakes of a medium brown color, a touch dry but that is typical of C and D and I like it that way. It packs very well in the pipe, and lights up easy, one charring light and then it burns nice and clean to the bottom of the pipe where is becomes a dry dust like steel gray ash. It emits a good bit of smoke and it is just a very tobacco taste on the tongue, again a little raw but in a good way. The room note is very heavy for a VA, no crown pleaser but pleasant to me. It burns rather fast, but in no way hot or biting to the tongue. I could see this as an all day blend as it is not cloying and it is easy to smoke. I recommend trying this one, it is one of those mystery blends that I like but can't really say why. But enjoyable it is.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Briar Fox is a blend from Cornell & Diehl described as the personal blend of Peter Heeschen. Knowing that pedigree, I anxiously cracked open a tin. This is a straight Virginia blend, in appearance a mix of gold, brown, and dark brown, pressed together into a crumble cake. The aroma is both sweet and slightly fermented, and, to my nose, exceptional and alluring. The cake easily breaks apart, yielding a nice pile of tobacco at, for me, the ideal moisture level for smoking. The early bowl has a bit of a tang to it, but I suspect that tang may mellow as a tin is allowed to age. But unlike many C&D blends, which I feel need some age before they are smokeable, Briar Fox, because of the pressing, is ready to go. The tobacco lights easily, and once lit it stays lit. Once into the bowl, the smoker is in for a real treat. The early tang disappears, yielding to flavors of sweet hay. But there is a subtle depth to it as well, which comes through more and more as the bowl is burned. The smoke becomes quite smooth and easy. Sipping will yield the various flavors within the smoke, but heavier puffing isn't going to send any smoker looking for a tongue transplant. The sweetness level of Briar Fox is less than that of many Virginias, especially red Virginias. But that shouldn't deter anyone from trying this tobacco. The flavor is delightful and surprisingly complex. There is a nicotine punch that surprised me a bit, and Virginia lovers should be aware of this. It took me several bowls of Briar Fox to learn the tobacco, and how to smoke it. Once I did, however, I found it to be smooth, pleasant, gentle, and extremely tasteful. This is a Virginia I will return to frequently.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Briar Fox is my first C&D sampling, and I must say that I'm very impressed. This is a nice "straight VA", although by all accounts, there's a little more to the blend than that.

The crumble cake is a nice change from ribbon/loose cut tobacco, or even flakes, and this one rubs out quite nicely. Packing the bowl gently yields an easy light, and the flavor of the high-quality VA's is readily apparent. I tend to smoke this in a Hackert cob, and it burns well to the bottom of the bowl.

I really enjoy this blend, it's a very well made offering, with a nice, clean tobacco flavor. I find myself smoking this more often, where it tends to be the only blend in my current rotation that has me slow down and savor the experience. That's saying something...

TonyC

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

This review is from a tin dated March 2006. The tin was opened in 2007 and partially smoked and revisited in January 2010.

This is a cake that comes pretty dry, not too dry, rather dryer than most virginias. It was rehydrated with "sterile" water from a lab. It hydrated very well to its original moisture level. I load it by breaking small chunks and dropping right into the bowl with loose tobacco placed on top.

Its appearance is mostly yellow and tan with a little dark brown tobacco. Even with the aging there is no crystallized sugar appreciated.

It is a very tasty virginia that has a pure VA taste. I agree with some reviews that it is a more "woodsy" taste which I remember very well. I'm not sure if it is the aging of the tobacco, but it does have a more sweet VA taste than I remember. But, a nutty taste is still somewhat dominant and very welcomed as a bit of a change of pace from my usual VAs. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys VA tobaccos and will always keep some in my cellar.

I would be interested to know if any burley is hidden in this blend. If it i,s it only compliments the VAs which are the dominant player in Briar Fox.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Pretty straight-forward tobacco. Not a lot of bells and whistles, this is a natural smoke that needs some drying before you fire it up. Pleasant enough, but did not impress.

Govern yourself accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Don't have much to add to what others have said except to reiterate that this stuff must be smoked slow and relaxed. Don't do that and one will miss out on what this blend has to offer. I tend to be a fast smoker so it has taken me a while to get used to this, but, when smoked "right," I find it to be a mild yet flavorful blend. I suspect any negative experiences with this comes from hurrying too much. Hard to describe the flavors. There is a sweetness to it, as well as a hint of woods. Very natural with no casings or flavorings which is what I like. I like the cakes wrapped in the paper. Nice touch and should help with storing and aging. As far as room note goes, I detect very little, but on a couple of occasions when the wife has come in from outside, she has asked me if I have been smoking a cigar. I don't see it but perhaps there is a "heads up" there. I bought eight ounces, then a pound and am going to let about half of that age for six months and then see what it is like. Until then, slow and steady will win the race with this one, in my humble opinion...

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

This is a crumble cake Craig recommended to me. I resisted at first, but as I heard mostly good, not great things about the blend, I gave it a tin try. I am nearly finished the tin in a non-filtered Brigham York. Nice smoke.

This one really needs no addtional aging to taste fairly decent. You need to cut out pieces of the cake and rub it out fully. Packs easy. Burns easy. Dry as well. Pretty cool.

It starts off as a light virginia. A bit plain or boring at this stage. A little sour/sweet taste keeps your attention. (Pease's Stratford if aged about 6 months plus is rounder and a little sweeter by comparison.) Looks like reds, some bright, and a little stoved. The flavors have mostly mingled (more time would enhance that but no matter). The sweet sparkle of the brights does come through often enough, but it is not as sweet (or hot) as a true bright flake might be. I still wouldn't rush the puffing though. All natural tastes to me. No scents.

It develops some red virginia richness in the last half of the bowl, which I find interesting.

If you take care to cut and rub out the pieces, you will be rewarded with a true light-medium, natural virginia smoke. There is something about its purity that grows on me. Recommended as an honest all virginia tobacco. Who could say more?

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Several reviewers likened this to meat loaf. I find it more closely resembles jerky, or maybe pemmican, as it is it small pieces pressed tightly. Color is mostly medium shades of brown and orange, with lighter and darker flashes. It tears roughly into slices, which must be rubbed thoroughly before packing. Very similar to C&D #417P

Aroma: Nice matured Virginia aroma, slight pruny or raisiny note. Also a hint of chocolate. Verry reminiscent of GLP Cumberland.

Packing: Packs easily into any size bowl when rubbed out. Due to the relative driness of the blend, it has a tendency to underpack. Use a firmer than normal touch. You might be tempted to put some small chunks in the bowl, but they won't light.

Lighting: Lights easily when packed with the right springiness. Sometimes one Vesta with a quick touch in mid-match.

Initial flavor: Nice sweet Virginia flavor, with some body or mouth feel to it. Definitely reminds me of GLP Cumberland, only a bit lighter and not as spicy. Possibly some aged and fired Burley (?).

Mid-bowl: A nice medium Virginia, with a range of notes from high to low. Some stregth to the blend, you can't ignore this. Puff it too fast and it will get really hot, but breathe on it and it will be gentle. Some nuances as you progress through the bowl. Very Danish in overall effect.

Finish: Gets a bit harsher at the end of the bowl. This might be from a lack of aging, but only time will tell.

Summary: For me, a good warm weather Virginia. If it lacks anything, it is Perique. Some Perique, and a bit of good red Va. would bring it more into my preferred range. Excellent quality, and a really fine effort.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

This Virginia brings to mind Three Friars, Bayou Morning and Pease's Stratford without the Perique. It is a very straight Virginia with the a distinctive red wine element which I find in some of the C&D tobaccos. This could be an all day smoke for the Va. lover. It is a tobacco I will be coming back to over the years. Paddy.

This is a unique blend that should be tried at least once. It is the virginia version of C&D's Pirate Kake. This is a very rich, simple virginia that is completely bite free. It's very basic to my tastes, and reminds me of what I imagine tobaccos must have tasted like in past times. This is a typical C&D blend: high quality and great burning characterisitics. I have to admit that it is just not quite my style. I need a little more complexity and natural sweetness in my straight virginias. This would make a great all day smoke if someone was into virginias this much.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a hardcore Virginia lover, and have smoked hundreds and hundreds of bowls of the world's finest Virginias. And this does not remotely merit being including as one. I'm smoking a bowl that has been sitting in my cellar for 5 years. It's got plenty of age. This should never even be called a Virginia tobacco. It reeks of Burley and only a hint of Virginia exists in the smoke. That being said, it's not a bad tobacco. I can see why some people like it. But I doubt those people are true Virginia smokers. Honestly, if I wanted to smoke Burley, I'd reach for Carter Hall before this stuff.

Pipe Used: Peterson Straight Billiard

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not a bad blend at all, just not very memorable and I can think of a half dozen better versions of it just off the top of my head. That said, many people seem to like it. It is burley forward and has all the nutty taste one associates with this sort of cube cut white burley. I dont know really what else to say. Its just sort of blah.

Purchased From: 4noggins

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)

Just like Full Virginia Flake, I can relate to both the 1 and 4 star reviews for Briar Fox. At its worst this can be dull, bland, and a little harsh. At its best it is a rich, subtle yet complex Virginia/Burley masterpiece. Most of it depends on the moisture content and the pipe used. I prefer Briar Fox without much drying and in a tall and narrow bowl.

There is definitely no topping here and a very small amount of casing. The red Virginias are earthy with a very faint sweetness in the background. The bright Virginia is grassy with hay notes. The Burley is nutty with some spice. Some fruit and cedar flavors are there occasionally but it's primarily an earthy blend. It may occasionally taste cigarettey but of course that is because cigarettes are made from Virginia and Burley leaf! I will rate this at 3 stars with room for another with age.

Xortex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xortex (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend seriously grew on me. At first it was like cardboard- even coming in a novel cube. I only smoked it for a good N-hit when I was stressed out. But now, I'm about to run out and eager to buy more. Recommendations to sip slowly here are on the money. Something about it demands an outdoor cob smoke too, despite its tendency to burn like heck. Maybe it's just the fox. It should be said I'm a big burley fan.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: Holt's, philadelphia

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (13)

I enjoyed two bowls in different pipes this evening. Both were good. The first was less remarkable than the second. My tastebuds may have attenuated themselves to the cake a bit before the second. So yeah after smoking through to the heel of a largish Brebbia Egg Shape, I reached for a Grabow with a smallish bowl. I will echo what I've heard several viewers comment on... The char light and first 20-30 puffs or so yield this ascorbic mouthfeel, and tangy flavor with not much else to mention. However , a little further into the bowl t begins to mellow, and with patient steady sipping I'm in business. Mellow, earthy, subtly sweet and nutty, I look forward to enjoying this blend as my palette adjusts and I'm able to discern greater nuance. Done very well. I usually just read the reviews and don't care much to put my two sense in. This one really got my attention... No bull.

Pipe Used: Brebbia - Grabow

Age When Smoked: Upon arrival

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although the virginia in it is mostly red, it is not a sweet one. The burley is rather a supportive role and provide the backbone to it. A man's smoke, maybe not for the beginners, but should be a must try for all virginia lovers.

Ziehm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ziehm (2)

This is a difficult tobacco to wrap ones head around. First off, and perhaps to my detriment I expected a very forward Red Virginia flavor upon examining the cake. However, upon lighting, the burley component was ever present, which in itself is not a bad thing, it was however, unexpected. The tin note on this tobacco is unmistakably C&D, Vinegar and Tomatoes, I can't figure this out but it is a common occurrence with there blends and I have no idea of its origin. Having experienced this with many of the C&D blends, it did not put me off and I was intrigued by the cake, moisture content and break ability of the cake. It rubbed out easily and took to the match nicely straight from the tin. I detected an absence of top note, just pure tobacco flavor. Here begins the conundrum. For a VA blend, it seemed the nutty, dried fruit flavor of the burley, and certainly the smokability, dominated this blend. Only after a second bowl, and halfway through that, did my palate begin to detect the dark Va sweetness that I expected would dominate throughout. I also detected a bit of cavendish, was this my tongue playing tricks on me? I have to say that I am not at all displeased with the smoke and find it quite to my liking, even though it is not at all what I expected. There could be a fair argument that this is the Bentley version of Half and Half.

Pipe Used: Ricco Santia Cob

Age When Smoked: 8 monts old

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (9)

A really solid Virginia burley blend. Straight forward, no nonsense tobacco flavor that could be an OTC codger blend if not served in cake form. No bite at all, easy burning and delicious. I give it 3 1/2 stars as a straight VaBur.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Briar fox is one of the lightest tobaccos in my line up. It crumbles very easy stright out of the tin. Full of Virgina and melded with burley it is easy to light and is one of my shortest smokes. To be honest here I can only taste the burley with my morning coffee. Name should be changed to tobacco light. I only have 10 tins in storage because of the cost at $6.99. I bought it site unseen and have been stuck with it. I only smoke this in the am or if it rains. I don't know why it b just happens that way.

Pipe Used: cobb, Stanwell

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Plantpartaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plantpartaker (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Briar Fox is a wonderful smoke if smoked properly. The problem is so many of us do not take the time to sip our pipes. I am no expert but I am finding that when you sip a tobacco, the nuances in flavor begin to emerge. Even if a pipe goes out that is okay. Sometimes it is better because it allows the pipe to cool. The first time I smoked briar fox I didn't care for it. However I revisited this tobacco and have been practicing my sipping technique and I am picking up a creamy vanilla flavor along with hints of pepper. There is a subtle hay/ herbaceous flavor at the finish. This is a complex meditative smoke and I am beginning to treat every tobacco as such.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 4 weeks

E. Bonit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
E. Bonit (3)

As DK already mentioned: This tobacco lacks sweetness up to a point to dustiness. Quite a punch of nicotine, too. As a comparison: GL Pease Union Square is about as strong, but much sweeter. I suggest this tobacco as an option for cigar lovers.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Pyffe Laade Switzerland

Similar Blends: Never smoked something like this before. The nearest would be Sextant by GL Pease (but even this Kentucky-laden stuff is more sweet than briar fox)..

ShortFatHokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ShortFatHokie (1)

Nice medium strength tobacco. I found it to be kinda sweet, with a bit of tanginess, and hints of nuttiness. A good, solid everyday tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM Mizzou straight cob

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (17)

I received this as a sample packaged in a ziplock so I am not sure how long it had been out of the tin. The tin note (ziplock note) had a slightly smoky aroma to me. I though I might dislike it, as I dislike English/Latakia blends. The moisture level was ready for packing. I didn't realize this was a Crumble Cake rather than a plug and I cut a slice off of the end of the cake. It worked very well, although I think just pinching off a bit would have worked just as well. It rubbed out, packed, and lit beautifully. It burned a bit quickly and hot for me. It was very spicy for me all the way through the bowl. I did not get the English/Latakia flavors that I was worried about and it was more enjoyable for me than English/Latakia blends. I did notice a vitamin N hit. Overall it was a decent smoke, but since I have only been smoking a pipe for about two years, I still prefer sweeter aromatics. I have smoked worse :)

Pipe Used: Vintage Corsica Bent Billiard w/horn stem

Age When Smoked: New? Sample

Purchased From: Free sample from SmokingPipes.com

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)

You know you read the reviews and you just pass on certain tobaccos. Well, this was a mistake for me. This tobacco burns well and you taste good solid Virginia and Burley. I am getting more burleyish in my old age and find this crumble cake quite pleasant. Some would call it an all day smoke, me too. It burns clean and quite well. Try a crumble or two. The little sample I got piqued my interest and now mid-tin I find it quite pleasant, all day.

Pipe Used: Classic BBB, Bob Kiess Pot

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)

When I first opened the tin I was greeted with a smell that I have come to associate with most C&D blends. A pre-hamster hamster cage. Not all that prominent in this blend (unlike Burley Flake #3), and it dissipates rather quickly after opening the tin. After that the flavors shift towards a sweet citrus with a little bit of bitter chocolate.

Dividing up the pressed cake is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I cut a piece off and use it like a flake, and sometimes I just take a pinch off with my fingers. It is quite moist when the tobacco is first removed from the tin but a few minutes out and it's ready to pack.

The flavors, while not all that complicated, are lovely. It has the typical citrus taste of most golden Virginias with a little bit of bitter chocolate. Almost identical to the tin note.

This blend will kick you hard if you smoke a lot of it, but a light pack in a standard size bowl is nothing to worry about. Overall an excellent blend, but for a Virginia I still prefer Orlik.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Tin Note: The Sample bag smelt like a smokey dark chocolate almost as if it were a dark cocoa powder the smokey part though wasn't that appealing when mixed with cocoa.

Initial Light: Took 4 charring lights to get this pipe going however once it lit it was burning really well.The taste at the beginning went from harsh to extremely dull in flavor.Burn was consistent though and that is what i am looking for in the beginning of any smoke.

Mid-Smoke: The Tobacco is maintaining a slow and even burn down the chamber and leaves a nice thick ash behind. The Nic Hit was heavy, at one point i almost got hiccups and there was a bubble in my chest. Sadly the flavor had not changed much it was still a harsh smoke at this point.

Bottom of the Bowl: Dumped out the Ash to try and relight the pipe as it had gone out twice on me and i suspect the thick ash that was being left behind was snuffing out the flame. The ash coated the sides of the bowl extremely well. After removing the smoked tobacco the smoke began to take form in the sense of flavor. The Virginia was peeking through but only just a little. The taste reminded me of a cold worn leather jacket that still has the faintest smell of your favorite cologne, of course meaning the Virginia that's there but not there just a slight presence.

Room Note: My wife surprisingly gave my a legitimate answer i guess me asking here all these times has giving her the sense of being a connoisseur, Her words "This blend gives the smell of black licorice...no no Anise say Anise it sounds better" haha i am a proud husband... That hates licorice.

Dottle: The ash was thick and fell into dust when touched the burn was slow but it was very consistent but left behind traces of goop near the draft hole and clogged the pipe.

Smoking Duration: 35min

Overall: After a month of trying different Va/burs it has become apparent that i am not much into this type of blend. That being said there are a few that i did enjoy just this not being one of them. Good things i can say about this blend is that it burns really good and will build an excellent cake in your pipe. But i like smoking a pipe not to just build a cake i would also like to enjoy what I'm smoking. Flavor and/or complexity wasn't there for me in Briar Fox.

Pipe Used: HS Studio Dublin

Age When Smoked: Freash

p.Holloway Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.Holloway (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I primarily smoke aromatics. However just the name of this cut was intriguing AND for once the name lives up to its smoke! I enjoyed every puff of this. Even though its straight virginia it does have a very mild sweet note and no bite what so ever. The krumble kake comes apart with the slightest squeeze and packs beautifully. Never thought I'd be so fond of a non-aromatic. Well done!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)

Chocolate brown Krumble Kake. Breaks up easily into small pieces. This tobacco has a very interesting tin note; in addition to the expected dried fruit aromas there are cocoa and cinnamon notes with malted barley.

This tobacco takes a light easily and burns without attention. It is quite rich for a Virginia, and other reviewers have said there is Burley in the mix. No argument from me. There might even be some DFK given its creaminess.

I'm not a fan of straight or nearly straight Virginias and despite the depth this baccy has, it still lacks something for my tastes. I also found it burnt a little wet. If savoury Red Virginias are your thing, then this is up there with the better quality offerings such as McConnell's Scottish Flake or F&T Cut Blended Plug.

Surprisingly, the wife gave this a thumbs up for room note, not something I would have guessed from the other side of the pipe.

Purchased From: Sample via smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: McConnell Scottish Flake or F&T Cut Blended Plug.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (21)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a comfortable smoke. Fantastic Virginia tobacco in a crumble cake. Rubs out nice packs great burns clean and sweet. A must try if your a Virginia fan. I have tried my fair share over the years and this is one of the best.

Pipe Used: peterson

Age When Smoked: bulk sample

Purchased From: smokingpipes

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

I like this mixture, it's quite good and really well balanced. Another reviewer described the tin note as “pure,” and I agree. The tobacco cake smells grassy but in an earthy, sour-barnyard & vegetal kind of way. The flavor has a light sweetness that I really did not expect, along with a robust unadulterated neat-tobacco taste. I find the update to TallPuffO'Burley's review quite telling, as I could swear that I too tasted a measure of C&D's burley in this, at least enough to give it a kick and a bit more structure. There's also a nice spiciness at play which keeps things interesting. Briar Fox does bitter towards the end of the bowl, but I still find it satisfying on a number of levels. Smokes super great in a cob.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first comment I want to make on this blend is how easy this is to pack and smoke. The best crumble cake I have seen yet. It's stays a bit more moist then your average C & D, but lights up and smokes smoothly.

The strength is decent but wouldn't say strong. This blend truly shows with the simplicity of the Virginia. It's an excellent taste with a great aroma. The wife quite enjoyed it.

This blend grabs the extra star because of how good the smoke was, without a ribbon cut. If your new to crumble cakes or Virginia in general, grab this right away.

Kudos Peter Heeschen.

Pipe Used: AKB Smooth Freehand Meerchaum

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Upon unboxing you can easily detect virginia smell, that's good. It's easy to fill into pipe upon rubbing by hand. It lights evenly and runs same. I couldn't detect any flavor, it's just virginia. For virginia choise i prefer best brown flake instead of this briar fox. B/F reminded me Night Train. Same unboxing condition and similar taste. I dont believe that aged pipe smoker prefers this while hell of better virginias are existing in the market.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

C/D Briar Fox … Attractive and has a nice tin aroma, that said, I find BF a bit flat in the flavor department unless inhaled like a cigarette. I prefer more stand alone flavor when smoking my pipe or for that matter my cigars. Of course some inhaling is part of the fun, but IMO this tobacco offers little else.

One more thing I noticed is the base flavor of BF is not that different from Mixture #79 of all things, when I smoke the two side by side the similarity is hard to deny, only #79 is somewhat more robust across the board, maybe due to it's burley content, but it is a condition I prefer.

Overall BF is a decent VA smoke, but I go to C/D to get away from the Danish influence in my Virginia's, I already have this type of tobacco covered in my rotation, nine ways to Sunday, I don't need another. My personal rating 2/5

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent, very nice smoke. Two tins so far, this tobacco does not last much on my desk.

There is PERIQUE , a dash of it, in the Fox. And it is perfectly spicing the virginia. Good stuff, good stuff.

The second tin once open revealed a very dry kake. I have a thrid one, and hopefully will not be that dry to request a humidor!!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild tasting virginia blend that will surely please those who enjoy them in the Danish tradition. Not a bad blend, and I like it but not enough to buy it again.

The tin smell is quite nice; pungent, very "tobaccoey" in the way you'd expect a traditional plug to smell. The blend, however, is bland with a very subtle, almost undetectable, aroma.

This stuff burns cool, does not bite, and packs a heatlhy nicotine punch, but there are other Virginias out there done in a more English style that are fuller in flavor. Briar Fox failed to deliver.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love the Krumble Kake cut ,it packs real easy and burns nice and slow to a fine white ash. Smoke this at a smolder , which is easy to do, and you get a rich sweetness and no bite . If I didn't know better, I would say there was some Burley in the blend because of the nutty mellowness and no bite. This is more on the style of a Danish than an English Virginia . This is more of a sit and savor than a work in the yard type of smoke. I will be buying more and cellaring. Oh, take some care in packing, in that you don't block the air hole , it's easy to do with the KK cut.

Updated 9/16/11 I still feel this is a fine tobacco and a nice change of pace from the VaPer's, Latakia, Oriental mixtures , however, I do find it very one dimensional. It has a smooth nutty flavor, not bitter, not sweet, but it is boring. I got a recommendation from a reviewer of McC 5100 Red Cake to blend 50% RC and 50% BF, this was good but I like 2/3 RC and 1/3 BF better. I've got to take a star away.I don't think I will buy more only because I have too many other tobaccos I'd rather smoke. I have to agree with reviewer "YINYANG 11/13/2011 " above.

Updated 7/20/12 I keep going back and forth with this tobacco. I've found you have to rub the entire kake out, let it breath and dry and in a month you have a nice blend. Open the tin and fire away, it tastes like Burley. 2 1/2 stars and a nice change of pace if preped right.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

I really like that C&D only uses distilled water, no propylene glycol to mess up the leaf. That little technique really comes through with BF which is a very natural-tasting, tasty treat. Not overly sweet, not overly bitter, it's like a good IPA with a great balance of sweet and - as we say here in Louisiana in reference to iced tea - unsweet. And I really like the crumble cake format which is very easy to rub out.

The leaf comes a bit drier than average, which I enjoy, packs great (I pack it firmer than most otherwise the draw is too free) and burns impeccably. The flavors are earthy and natural, and I always get a smile on my face when I reach for the Fox.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed this blend although for some reason or another it tended to kick me in the pants. A simple enough blend, the flavors are smooth and delicious, I really enjoyed the way it packed and smoked. I only had a sample of this, but I fully intend to purchase a tin at some point for a more full experience.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)

I first want to start by saying I am a big fan of C&D, my three staples are C&D blends. It is also important to say that I am no longer a regular Virginia smoker. My staples are in the Burley & English genre. So, with this is mind, take this review for what it is worth.

As with all C&D tobacco, there is no doubt this is quality leaf. The tin note is enticing. The little pressed brick presentation is also quite nice.

This tobacco needs a bit of drying IMO. Right out of a new tin, it is on the moist side and it becomes obvious that it can use a bit of age to smooth it out.

Without going into too much detail, I will suffice it to say that I was not a fan of this blend. After opening the tin, and giving it several months to smooth out, I find it harsh and bitter at times. It burns hot and certainly causes a bit of tongue bite. Overall I find this blend hot, harsh and bitey.

I will not be buying this one again. Sorry C&D, they can't all be perfect.

I love the cake presentation. Like the tobacco, but not my favorite. Seems to smoke fast and hot. I do detect a cigarette-like taste, but quality cigarettes like Nat Sherman, not Dorals. Tin doesn't mention Burley, so there is probably none here, but it reminds me of a VABUR. If I can manage to smoke it slowly, and if it ages well opened, maybe I can learn to like it more. I would think before I gave a C&D two stars, but personally this one is a two. I give it three in a public review because it is a quality blend which simply doesn't fit my personal tastes, like the Hebraica series.

Update: It's growing on me. I tried something interesting. I pulled off a square piece of the cake and did not rub it out. Instead, I stuffed it whole into my largest bowled pipe, a cool handmade cherry. Then I sprinkled the top with finely rubbed tobacco so I could get it lit. It smoked for almost an hour and was quite tasty! I will experiment some more.

1-11-10 OK time to upgrade this one. In less than five months opened, all of the harshness I originally noted has disappeared, and it is one of the tastier Virginias I have smoked. I don't know if everyone will have the same experience, but for me letting it stand a while really did the trick. It has everything I want in a Virginia; no bite, complexity, notes of dried fruit, improves towards the end. Drier is better with this tobacco, but I could see buying 8oz fresh and letting it dry slowly in a mason jar. I would give it two stars indeed! Doesn't fit my personal tastes, how could I? Sometimes first impressions aren't correct.

1-22-10 Finishing the tin, not all of the bowls were four-star. I didn't get another bowl like the one which caused me to upgrade. Forget which pipe I smoked it in; maybe that is it. No need to take the star back-if it smoked like that once, it could again. I guess this tobacco is what they call "temperamental."

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A very nice smoke and I went through a tin in two weeks. It is another middle of the road tobaccos for me. Not in quality, but I mean middle of the road medium- taste, nicotine, overall buy again factor. I can see why some love it. Its worth a try if you havent already.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a pressed Crumble Cake Virginia with very natural Virginia aroma and flavor, the packing is relatively easy and the burning is amazingly cool and bite free for a Virginia, the taste is very straight, full and extremely natural, however some may find this Va somehow bland and lacks vibrancy with one single note, and this is also true, however I am sure this is a Raw Virginia at its primitive state, without any topping or casing.

Very good quality Va. for Virginia pro.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I purchased this tobacco back in August of 05 and have just gotten around to smoking it. Of all the designer tobacco lines around I must admit C&D's is one of par excellence. Briar Fox is yet another hit for me. I really enjoy opening new tins of tobacco and the first impression aromas that escape the tin upon cracking. The first impression in BF was that of a sweet woodsy aroma made me think of a cold autumn evening in the middle of June. The moisture content was perfect right out of the tin, as most C&D blends. I love the compressed mixed crumble. It kind of reminds me of plug cut chewing tobacco. BF rubbed out into a beautiful blond, brown to dark brown crumble. BF packed easily and lit evenly and well. BF stands true to form in most VA's a little hot on the light and best enjoyed gently sipped instead of puffed. The layers of flavor for this smoke range from sweet and light, to rich and nutty mid-bowl to knock out. This tobacco never comes on as overpowering for me and does have a nice kick in the nicotine department. I consider this offering an excellent mild VA almost suitable for all day smoking, especially if it was cut with a good burly. I will add this to my Virginia rotation and smoke this on a regular basis.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently openened a tin of this blend and have smoked it quite a bit since then. I find as a smoker of Virginias, that this blend fits in very nicely amongst my "need to have" blends. I do not really smoke lots of Latakia blends and have great difficulty as a nicotine junkie to get my fix from the likes of Rattrays etc. This is now my evening Virginia smoke.

The taste is really wonderful for when one craves something hearty in the evenings or after a big supper. It has a very faint sweetness and the right kind of bitterness and lots and lots of cool smoke with no bite. That wonderful taste lingers in my mouth for a while and keeps me satisfied until the morning.

Now I need to explain why it gets 3 stars instead of 4. Unlike Rattrays HOTW this blend is not very sympathetic to relights and I would reccommend smoking it in a bowl size that you can finish in one sitting. If you do that, you will be rewarded with a very enjoyable smoke indeed.

#UPDATE. I have to upgrade this blend to 4 stars. It has become indespensible in my rotation. Really good stuff and I am stocking up

theredstrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theredstrat (4)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

There's not much I can add to the descriptions already provided. I submitted this review mainly to contribute to the average rating. I like it that much.

I love Virginia's, however, I tend to enjoy the milder ones the best. This one is all I could ask for. It is also worth noting this is my first "crumble cake" and it allowed me to overcome the intimidation of pinching and rubbing. This is an easy tobacco to crumble, smoke, and enjoy! Thanks again Cornell & Diehl!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

This is an exceptionally good VA cake - it crumbles and burns exceedingly well, and it has a rich, deep flavor. It's not a VA I'd smoke every day, but it's an interesting change of pace when I'm in the mood for a medium-strength VA with absolutely no hint of flavoring. It also excels as a blender.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

I really like the versatility of this 'crumble cake'. I've horizontally peeled off and fully rubbed thin slices for quick smokes, as well as vertically sawed off hunks and slowly stoked the ember. Each time I smoke this a different way I notice different notes.

Each time it is a rewarding, cool smoke with good Va flavor, that smokes down to a white ash. While I found the room note extremely pleasant, non smokers only found it tolerable.

While Briar Fox is extremely smooth, I do not find it super sweet for a virginia. The tones are earthier and woodsier, compared to something like pipesandcigars.com "Marble Cake", which is sweet and sticky with more abrupt flavor changes. "Marble Cake" is in the rotation as well, but Briar Fox is more sly, sleek, and mellow. It's aptly named. It also doesn't require a Ph.d in Virginias to be enjoyed like the ketchup club #24,#25,#27, and Dark Star. It's very accessible.

Hats off to C&D and 4 stars!!!

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

There's something about crumble cakes that I find hard to resist. It's not just the intriguing nature of seeing various leaves come together in a sort of melange, or the great fun in packing them with a pressure to your exacting desire--it also has to do with the way the flavors seem to meld together in a way that escapes even flakes and plugs.

The nature of this cake in particular was different. It's not in the same as something like Penzance, which is a moist, oily beast that seems to just fall apart in your hands. Briar Fox is instead a tightly compressed block of ribbon cut Virginias. It's a dry, hay-like thing that lends well to breaking apart with your hands, or a slice from a sharp knife. I remember arguing with a fellow pipe smoker how this didn't exactly fit the definition of a "krumble kake", but we seemed to agree that the cut is different, and it works..and well at that.

Because of the lack of excessive moisture, Briar Fox lights and burns with a focussed intensity. There's a relaxed variety here in how you can cut the block-like cakes, which is great for those who prefer long, smoldering smokes, or a short, fast burning exercise. I found it best to allow for a thicker cut, which cut the heat of the burn and didn't excessively tax my pipe.

The taste here is certainly a much different animal from your typical McClelland Virginia. It has the sweetness of a Virginia with something of a crisp definition in flavor. Briar Fox also manages to come with a body that will pack a wallop, which I have found rare for such a light Virginia blend comprised of mostly golden ribbons. Smoke this one with a tiny bowl, and you'll find yourself running for seconds. Good stuff.

The Fox is welcome in my home anytime.

4.0 of 4.0

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

The tin contains two krumble cakes that would look like two bricks of chewing tobacco if they were compressed and contained considerably more moisture. Of course the cakes don?t contain much moisture at all and that is why they ?crumble.? Actually, I found the two cakes to be ?bone dry.? After breaking and rubbing them out, I re-hydrated the tobacco just a little.

This is a delightful, pure VA blend that is smooth, natural, straightforward and with a nicotine kick. It does not have a pronounced, classic VA sweetness and this it where it differs from many other VA blends. Briar Fox may be a bit harsh for some at first light but it soon evolves with pleasurable sweet and sour notes and a ever so slight spiciness / tanginess in the background as you progress down the bowl. Can I say this tobacco has a ?sweet tartness? or is that an oxymoron? As with all VA blends it is best enjoyed with a slow, smoking pace if not just sipped. It has excellent burning qualities with no bite. I think that any cigarette or cigar smoke would especially enjoy Briar Fox as it is an all natural blend with substantial nicotine. If you don?t like blends high in nicotine, stay away from ?the Fox.? If you are ?perique intolerant,? BF would be a good, pure VA blend to try.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)

Another excellent blend from Cornell & Diehl. If you like Virginias, you must try this one. no bite and a wonderful flavor.