Picadilly is a provocative blend of several Virginia tobaccos, delicately spiced with Latakia, and finished with Louisiana perique. The alluring flavor is revealed in layers throughout the smoke. It's lighter and sweeter than the others, but still rich, with hints of cinnamon and citrus. A perfect "English Breakfast Mixture."

Notes: Piccadilly was released in March, 2003

Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chestnut brown wide ribbon cut, this one contains a light amount of latakia, yet that is the predominate smell that greeted me when I cracked this 18 month old tin. It wasn't overpowering but it did provide its unmistakeable aroma. Then again, I'm extremely sensitive to the presence of latakia and have resolved a fair number of "latakia debates" for myself within the usual troupe of virginia/oriental blends where the existence of latakia is hotly argued. Heraclitus wrote that "Nature Loves To Hide". Latakia may love to as well, but it does a poor job of it in my experience. :)

And what latakia! Within a nice, soft, mildly citrusy bed of various lemon and orange virginias, this condimental tobacco lends a sharp but soft spice. I guess I've never experienced something that was both sharp and soft, but this tobacco accomplishes it, and it's an incredible experience. The latakia has the beautiful sharpness of old Dunhill 965 and old Sobranie that melds perfectly with the virginias and is finished with the perique. This blend has a lot of complexity and depth but it's not pushy about it. Chelsea Morning is far more complex (comparing two lighter fare, both from GLP) but it's more overt. This one is subtler, yet I find it more flavorful overall. The phrase "It's all in the snork" was never more true than with this blend. Further, this was one of those blends that performs even better when the smoke is directed toward the roof of my mouth than toward my tongue. Almost makes me wish I smoked Peterson pipes!

This is considered a lighter blend and I expected a mellow yet bland affair. However, it surprised me. This "breakfast mixture" contains a fair amount of latakia wallop but all within this nice, cozy little manger of soft virginias. I'm not sure how this is done but seems to be a product of blending genius. This blend is pretty far from what I usually enjoy, but has made my rotation with a bullet. Well done, Greg!

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

I find this to be an excellent blend for a cup of coffee in the morning or early afternoon! For me it is a quintessential example of what an excellent medium bodied english should taste like. I find this to be a very relaxing and enjoyable smoke and perfect for starting of your day on the right foot! Latakia is for sure the predominant tobacco here, but it blends well with the Virginias used, which IMO complement the Latakia perfectly, I tried this blend a couple years ago, and a year ago I smoked through a tin of Chelsea Morning, I can't wait till I get back to the states so I can pop a tin of both and smoke them in tandem, since for me if my memory of each serves me well, they are similar smokes and both personal favorites!

Now a year after my initial review I am smoking a bowl from a newly cracked 4 year old tin and it is sublime! Upon opening it smelled like wine and raisins. The latakia is so tantalizing to the tongue as it interplays with the perique and va's. I didn't remember detecting the perique when I first smoked this one, but now it slips in right between the latakia and VAs and adds a wonderful spiceyness to the blend, this kind of reminds me of the spiced chai of tobaccos. Creamy, rich and spicy all in one go! I definitely recommend cellaring this one for around 4 or 5 years!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Piccadilly is a blend from Greg Pease's Classic Blends collection. This blend, like other Classics, has a beautiful presentation of yellows, golds, browns, and flecks of black; the Classic line makes me almost wonder if Greg's intent was to not just put together some excellent smoking tobacco but to also create blends which simply appeal to the smoker's eye. In this blend he combined Virginia tobaccos with Latakia, then finished the blend with what seems to be a gentle serving of perique. The moisture level of this blend is, to my taste, ideal. The pouch aroma has a nice smoky sweetness. The charring light shows the Latakia promise of the blend, which is sweet and smooth. Once the bowl is lit that smoothness really comes through the stem. The latakia combines with the Virginia to deliver a woodsy smokiness that reminds me of hickory smoke, or of a good barbecue sause. The taste, on my first sample bowl, made me settle back and look forward to what would follow. At mid-bowl the smoke became almost creamy, with a sweet smokiness unlike I've experienced in an English blend prior to this. The perique, at this point, remains in the background, but begins to show itself, providing what Pease, on his web site's description, accurately calls a cinnamon-like taste. The flavor continues to please, almost delight, the palate through the end of the bowl. The flavor continues to be creamy smooth, the smoky sweetness pleasant. The perique, by the end of the smoke, adds a nice end of smoke zest. Piccadilly is, in my opinion, a fine, light English blend, and an excellent compliment to the blending artistry of the Dark Lord. While I am usually a Virginia fan, I am certainly also a Piccadilly fan. This is a tobacco I'll buy again and again. I recommend Piccadilly, without reservation, as a light treat for English fans, as a quality change of pace for Virginia lovers, and as an all-day smoke for the discerning palate. When I test blends I keep a notebook where I write my impressions and thoughts. In the margin of these notes, while smoking Piccadilly, I wrote, "Wow."

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Pease blends are very hit or miss for me.... This one missed by a country mile. Little flavor, no complexity and limp wristed in the strength department. It was very difficult to taste anything other than the Perique, which popped up like a toadstool in freshly cut grass (Annoying and distracting when taking in the entire scene).

I suppose if one enjoys bland English style tobacco with loads of Perique, this would be a good choice. Otherwise, there are far to many classy blends of this genre to recommend Piccadilly to anyone.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly light golden, with some percentage of orange/red (30%), and a small amount of darker leaf. The cut was a mix of ribbon and shorter medium width pieces. Moisture content was on the dry side, typical for Pease and just the way I like it

Aroma: A marvelous bouquet of aromas from the Virginias, Latakia (not heavy) and the Perique. Definitely a ?breakfast blend?.

Packing:. Packing was quite easy in all sizes from group 3 through group 6.

Lighting:. Almost too easy. Often got a good burn with a single match.

Initial flavor: Initial flavor is like a medium English blend, with all of the parts right there. More taste than I expected from the description. On the down side, the smoke seemed to dry my mouth a bit.

Mid-bowl:. By mid bowl, the blend settles down into a milder flavor. All the parts still sing in harmony, but there isn?t much volume. Nice interplay of nuances as ribbons of each component catch fire. Overall, a nice taste but not enough of it. Must be smokes slowly, as there isn?t much in the way of slower burning darker tobaccos to slow it down.

Finish:. Ends pretty much like the middle, maybe a bit more kick from the Perique. Dry and clean, very little guck for the pipe cleaner.

Summary:. As always with Greg, the best ingredients, and a masterful blending. I generally don?t care for this genre of blends, but this is quite nice for a change of pace. I will get some to cellar for the summer months.

Original Review_This is a nice blend that fills a "niche" for a mild Latakia morning smoke. There's no bite, good on the relight and reminds me of "Squadron Leader" or maybe even a smoother EMP but without the "lemon pucker" . It has the same ribbon/shag cut that I like to ball and stuff in one piece for loading.. Although Oriental is not listed and Perique is, I catch a hint of Oriental but very little Perique and the "N" is slightly higher. To me this is more of a "Brown" Virginia/Oriental forward blend with only the hint of Latakia. Very nice, very smooth but lighter in flavor as compared to some of Pease's other blends .

Revised Review 5/22/16 - I Just opened a tin with two years of age and one month open to breath. This is greatly improved over what I remember my original review to be. I think it reminds more of "Chelsea Morning ", but with a lot more Balkan flavor and "lady N". I like the ribbon cut better than CM's rubbed flake cut. I will replace CM with Piccadilly as a lighter morning blend and it deserves a full 4 stars.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: revised 2 years

Similar Blends: A more flavorful Chelsea Morning.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Halfway between an English mixture and a Vaper with a Latakia twist, Piccadilly is very unique among GLPease tobaccos, away from subtle Virginias/VaPers and heavy Balkans. Lighter on Latakia than Samarra, this all-day English is already among my favorites.

Sit back and sip this outstanding tobacco. You won't regret it.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have to admit, that I was prepared to dislike Piccadilly. I didn't like the name, and I generally don't like lighter blends because they can end up tasting and smelling bland. Not so with this blend! I think this tin is dated 2003, but it's hard to tell because the stampings are always so faint on GLP's tins. The smell in tin is light, but delicious and rich. Others have described the look and feel, so I'll not repeat their observations. The tobacco is at the perfect hydration for firing up, and wow, was I rewarded from the very first bowl for doing so. This blend possesses a rare harmony of tastes and textures. There's a clear Virginia base here, but it combines beautifully with the small amount of latakia and perique in the blend. Piccadilly is the model of sophistication in a pipe blend. As you can tell, I was completely won over by GLP on this one because I came into the experience expecting flat, hot air. What I got was a great viognier experience.

This is one blend I was hesitant to review due to my preference for "fuller" flavored tobacs, but after a tin, I am hooked. Upon opening of the tin, you are greeted by mostly bright leaf with an occasional speck of black. The tin aroma is a delicious smoky-sweet raisin aroma. Moisture is perfect and packing and lighting is a breeze. Initial flavor is of sweet virginia with the occassional flavor of the latakia coming through. The perique is sensed more than it is tasted. This is a perfect morning blend that can be smoked back to back without tongue-bite or flavor overload. For being a lighter blend, it still has a complexity that keeps you interested. Greg has used different types of virginia leaves in this blend and the "layering" can definitely be noticed as you smoke. There is not much of a building of strength as you finish the bowl and I have found myself suprised many times that I was finished with just powdery dry ash left! While this blend is not my main staple, I find myself reaching for it in the mornings quite often. Another winner. Rating 4 out of 5 points Enjoy...

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The Continuing Adventure of the Holy Trinity: Virginia, Perique, and Latakia.

Having fallen in love with C&D Buffalo Soldier, I had to try Pease's Piccadilly. How were these blends going to be different and which one was Going to be Superior. Same blending house. Same tobaccos? I think not.

Upon opening the tin of Piccadilly, I was granted a slightly different tin note than Buffalo Soldier. Piccadilly was sweeter(Bright Virginias) with a slight mushroomy sourness, with smokey BBQ. Buffalo Soldier being more sour than Piccadilly.

First light, is Gaslight grade Latakia. Where Buffalo Soldier is tangy perique and soft red Virginia. The Latakia in Piccadilly is not from the same source as the Lat. in Buffalo soldier. The first 3rd of Piccadilly is nice Gaslight Latakia leaf transforming into bright Virginia's with hints of honeysuckle, cinnamon and cardomin spice. The perique slides around in second gear, lending a nice mushroom sourness, waving in and out throughout the rest of the bowl.

The bright Virginias and a bit more Latakia make Piccadilly slightly different than Buffalo Soldier. Although, essentially both blends have the same flavors and are on the same team. The flavor that I couldn't put my finger on with Buffalo Soldier was a musky cinnamon, that has deeper tangy complexities, if you take your time. The Latakia is better in Piccadilly but the red Virginia's and perique are better in Buffalo Soldier.

I like Buffalo Soldier better in only that the perique shines and the Latakia really takes a back seat. But not always. Which makes it a fun ride.

I guess the main difference are Do you like your perique at the beginning of the bowl? Fading into a spicy Virginia. Or do you like your perique fading in half way through, to the end? Personally, I like perique asserting itself right up front.

I must admit that I have only had two bowls of Piccadilly verses a whole tin of Buffalo Soldier. I couldn't wait to do the review. I could tell the differences immediately. Which is a good thing, I'm gaining some experience.

If your looking for nicotine, both of these blends deliver.

I'll update if something changes.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob Legend

Age When Smoked: Date not on tin! Slackers

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Cornell &Diehl Buffalo Soldier.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I’ll keep this very simple—this is a decent, but hardly distinguished light English blend. I found this blend to be rather uninteresting. Though the Virginias seem to be of reasonable quality, they just don’t seem to contribute much to the blend other than to act merely as a base. The tin description suggests a more complex blend of Virginia, Latakia and Perique and I just don’t find much complexity. Perhaps the blend would benefit from the addition of some Turkish. There are other Pease English and Balkan blends that have more to offer.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is an intersting Vaper. The latakia is very minimal and almost unnoticeable. The blend has a raw sort of taste to it at first light but it smooths out a little as it goes.

The perique is a bit more than I would like in this blend but it is not totally overwhelming. It builds as the bowl progresses and gets peppery to the end. Not bad, it just leaves a peppery sensation on my tongue for a while. It does get at my throat a little, but not as bad as some other periques do. I will smoke this till the tin is gone but it is not my favorite Pease blend.

For Vaper lovers wanting a milder perique. This is not bad. In fact I am more critical on the Pease blends because I have very high expectations from them.

I would reccomend it if you like a definite note of perique in your smokes. This one should get a lot smoother with age. We will see.

Update: actually this one has grown on me a lot and I smoke it every day, Its pretty much my all day smoke lately. To be noted the tins always need to breathe a little. I dont mean leave them open- not at all. Just open for a minute or two every day and after 5 days or so they are much more friendly to smoke. In my case by the fifth day of smoking I hit the stride of the tin, look at it however you want but all the Pease blends to seem simillar in this manner. More so than other brands.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a very light blend that reminds me a little bit of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, only with more high notes and some additional sweetness. It's extremely mild (about the same punch as Frog Morton) with a heavy emphasis on the lighter Vas. The tin description of having "hints of cinnamon and citrus" is spot-on accurate. There's not a lot of change as the bowl burns down, but it does pick up a little depth when you get to the last third. The latakia is certainly noticeable throughout the smoke, but it rarely draws attention to itself. The perique is barely detectable, and I honestly think the blend could use a little more to offset the nip of the brighter Vas. As is usually the case with GLP blends, the quality of the tobacco and the presentation are first-rate.

The burning characteristics are about average. Expect some relights and you might need to tamp a few times, but nothing too onerous. It will bite you if you rush things, which is easy to do because of the mild flavor. Again, a little more perique would be nice here ...

This is realistically somewhere between 2 and 3 stars. It doesn't strike me as anything special, but it's certainly enjoyable when I'm in the right mood. I heartily recommend this to the Frog Morton crowd or those looking for a replacement for the aforementioned EMP. If you like full-bodied smokes, however, look elsewhere.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Piccadilly, as noted, is one of the original blends in the G.L. Pease Classic Collection, along with Blackpoint, Charing Cross, and Kensington. Of these four, Piccadilly was the lightest, though to me it seemed a close cousin to Blackpoint, the same riffs in the higher register, the same contribution from the Perique throughout.

I have read many reviews comparing Piccadilly to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, and if the Latakia content is the sole criterion, the comparison is fair. Apart from that, these blends could not be more different. EMP is far more reliant on the Oriental component than Piccadilly, which derives its unique qualities from the combination of Virginias in the blend and their interplay with the Perique.

Pipe selection matters a lot in the taste and enjoyment of many blends. In a small Sasieni, the grassy notes of the pale Virginia component are quite noticeable. In a large Dunhill billiard, this is muted by the other tobaccos raising their heads from the start. In a tobacco mixture with as many subtleties as Piccadilly, I would recommend a larger bowl to open-up the blend sooner. This will happily not cost any loss of nuance and change as one makes his way through the smoke; there are surprises aplenty.

This is described as "the perfect English breakfast smoke." Not for me; no matter how little Latakia there might be in a blend, it does not sit well with me until after lunch. In the morning, I stick to my favorite Burleys.

The can used for this review is 19-months-old, wonderfully improved from the fresh can I smoked in 2003. A couple of years should only make it even better.

Refreshing, surprising, smooth...Four out of four stars.

Doctor Willet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Willet (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Out of a baker's dozen Pease recipes I've had, this is my favorite. Piccadilly Circus is a place in London where several roads meet and is bustling with activity, and this blend echoes its namesake. It's an intersection of great flavors and wonderfully pleasant aromas in both tin and room.

A tin of Piccadilly is full of short and curly golden brown ribbons of three different Virginias, with flecks of Latakia and Perique all over. The unmistakable aroma of Latakia is there and dominant, but whiff a little more and there are noticeable overtones of that naturally sweet smell of Virginias and Perique.

The flavors in Piccadilly are consistent from beginning to end and very pleasant. Essentially, it tastes like a great Va-Per with Latakia added, but that's an oversimplification. It's flavors are a balance of Virginias on the savory side (as opposed to grassy), with a gentle Latakia smokiness, and just enough perique to add its lovely hallmark flavor mix of sweet and peppery. Piccadilly's casing or topping (I cannot tell which) adds some distinct flavors to the mix. Although it's very, very light, there are distinct-but-subtle hints of citrus and quite possibly honey. That said, it's miles away from being unnaturally sweet, and most definitely not classifiable as an aromatic. The bulk of its flavor comes from the mix of its component tobaccos—not from added flavors. This all combines to make Piccadilly a really superb smoke.

Aside from its great flavor—one I almost never get tired of—Piccadilly's nicotine content is low, and therefore perfect for any time of day. I can easily have a large pipe of this on an empty stomach and not get dizzy (I often smoke it before breakfast), yet I'm still left satisfied by the nicotine. Being able to enjoy a blend with so much flavor and perique is a great attribute. Furthermore, no matter how hard I push it, it'll burn hot, but never bites my tongue—impressive considering it's largely composed of Virginias.

In nine months I can't find anything I don't like about Piccadilly. Two different pipers told me about consistency issues with G.L. Pease blends (I've experienced it with Temple Bar), but so far as these two batches of Piccadilly I've had—which were made several months apart—are concerned, they're consistent on all fronts.

Pipe Used: Various Differently-Shaped Briars and M.M. Cobs

Age When Smoked: Two batches; one fresh, the other 1yr old.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is based on a 10 year old tin from a "local" tobacconist in Sendai.

The tin was bluging and when popped gave off a substantial "tssss" followed by a zephyr of delicate sweet hay like VAs with hints of citrus and very faint Latakia. The perique wasn't too apparent to my beak.

My tobacco was darker than the descriptions of most but the considerable amount of age made it mostly dark browns with some orange and overripe yellow VAs mixed in with some black strips as well. The cut is ribbon but a wide cut and a bit chunky. Very similar to Haddo's delight. Easy to pack and the moisture was spot on (a little on the dry side but that's my preference).

There is a slight zing the first 1/8-1/4 of the bowl. The VAs lean towards citrus and lemony instead of haylike and earthy. The perique gives a bit of spice to this while the Latakia offers a nice base but is in no way instrusive. DK's review is spot on where it has a very soft yet sharp sensation on the palette. It is unlike most English blends that I've smoked. It reminds of a sweeter and softer Rajah's court with a bit more spice.

Progressing down the bowl the Latakia is turned up (or the VAs are turned down?) Smooth smokey Cyprian leaf comes to the front of the stage but the citrus and spice are just as nice as before. There's something floral about this blend (not lakeland) but it reminds me of a spiced fruit tea with some earthiness. It's delicious.

I will say that I think this blend is very complex without being bold. I almost feel as if it's a blend that I still don't understand after 2 oz. It is delicious nonetheless. Probably deserving of a 4 but for my preferences it stays at a 3. Wonderful smoke during the fall as the mornings get cooler or even in spring when you want a little spice with your warmer weather VAs. Well done Greg!

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

I'm disappointed with this one because I don't think it matches what it says on the tin. This is basically just a VaPer (Virginia/Perique). There are no orientals, and any Latakia is so small it's lost under the powerful spicey Perique.

Described as a light English breakfast or early morning mixture, this is far too peppery and is just a simple VaPer with none of the complexity of other early morning blends or indeed of Pease's own Chelsea Morning.

The tobaccos here are obviously high quality, with flavorsome virginias and spicey but soft Perique. If advertised as a VaPer I would give this high marks. But it just doesn't fit the bill as an early morning blend.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had two tins of 10 year old Picadilly now. After I got over the expectation of it being a little more full than it is, I can say that I enjoyed it OK but won't return it's way. It reminded me of EMP, which for some is a great comparison. I don't really care for EMP that much. Picadilly has a bit more strength than EMP so to me it's preferable to EMP. All in all, it is worth a try but it's not worthy of more than a neutral review.

Pipe Used: Pete forward canted billiard canadianish pipe

Purchased From: Pipestud

Similar Blends: Early Morning Pipe.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

The Lat and Per and modestly used making the a lovely light blend and beautifully balanced. Another stellar performance by GLP.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

Piccadilly is mild English suitable for a morning smoke. It does pair well with tea (as opposed to coffee--just better suited for a lighter drink). It is supposed to have Latakia and Perique but there is little Lataka taste (fine with me in a morning blend) and I really couldn't detect the Perique--the quantity must be small. It has a fine, lighter taste and good aroma and smokes to a dry ash.

My only gripe with Piccadilly is that it's tough to keep lit due to the broad cut of the ribbon. It works best for me in a pot given the cut. But, overall, a fine blend.

I was excited to try this blend because my first tin of it had some age on it. This review is based on two tins, a new one and one that was 4 years old. Unlike many of Pease blends, the additional age didn't help to improve this tobacco. Its just plain boring. dry and lacking any depth. There are many other mild English blends that have more flavor. As far of the "hints of cinnamon and citrus"...give me a break. Not Recommended.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: May, 2010

Many of you are familiar with the operatic tune "La Donna Mobile." Although Luciano Pavarotti's version is likely better known, I am particularly fond of Andrea Bocelli's rendition:

YouTube Video

But what many may not realize is that the English translation goes as follows:

This woman is flighty Like a feather in the wind, She changes her voice — and her mind. Always sweet, Pretty face, In tears or in laughter, — she is always lying.

In defense of you pipe smoking women, I am not making a statement regarding the truth or falsehood of these lyrics. I am only pointing out that the first few bowls of GLPease's Piccadilly fit this description. However, this is one of those true sleeper blends that has really grown on me as I get to know it better.

Fickle as Pavarotti's flighty woman, Piccadilly has nevertheless begun behaving itself to the point that I have come to really appreciate it. It's a strange blend to me in that I could swear I taste a significant Oriental character, but the tin description states otherwise: "Piccadilly is a provocative blend of several Virginia tobaccos, delicately spiced with Latakia, and finished with Louisiana perique." This blend requires the right pipe and good technique, which bring out some fantastic flavors and nuance.

The Latakia is very light when visually inspecting the leaves, but comes across a little stronger than expected in the flavor. However, it always remains far in the background. The Perique is not all that noticeable, unless it's what gives that Oriental-esque character in the absence of Oriental leaf. There is toastiness, there is some good Virginia sweetness not unlike that found in Union Square, and the faint smokiness of the Latakia balances the rest perfectly. This might just be a genius blend. Time will tell as I gain more experience with it and age a couple tins.

What began as a two and a half star blend for me may very well become four stars, especially with some age. Perhaps Bocelli is correct in concluding:

"Yet one never feels Fully happy Who on that bosom — does not drink love!"

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

This is perhaps one of the most unique pipe tobacco blends I've ever encountered. Mr. Pease's mention of citrus & cinnamon on the tin ring very true. There's almost a note of leomony orange with a cinnamon/cardamom note. You'd almost think it was flavored, but upon more careful tasting, you realize this is simply a master blender at work. My tin dates from 4/8/04 and it did seem quite dry to the touch, almost a papier-mâché like texture, but it burns well, i.e. not too fast and reveals a nice not too dry moisture. frankly, I'd say that the perique here is much stronger than the latakia, though both sort of synergize to spice the predominant VAs, which are quite rich & wonderful.

Update 11/16/16: I've recently opened a tin from July 2007 and am flabbergasted at how much better this blend has become and it was fantastic when I've smoked relatively fresh tins. The component tobaccos have melded into perfection. The VAs predominate, but the latakia and perique are less distinct from one another than a hybrid flavor. I'm a big fan of many blends, especially others of Mr. Pease and of the classic Dunhills, but I think Piccadilly could be my favorite blend at the moment.

Pipe Used: Hilson prince, Upshall billard, Peterson Aran B5

Purchased From: The Briary

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

My palate tells me this is a milder version of Peretti?s British Blend, a tobacco of my youth. My review for the latter applies here except for the strength and fullness factors. If you want a fuller, stronger smoke after dinner, go with British Blend. For something lighter in the morning, ?Pick a (real) Dilly? and select Piccadilly. These two are among my top 5 English blends.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.5 out of 10.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (14)

Thought I'd give this a try for a early day option. It could be a good start-of-day smoke because it isn't too heavy. But as one reviewer had mentioned somewhere McClelland is noted for its ketchup, Macbaren its honey, and Pease for his perique, and I've found that the case here. All the Pease characteristics of good presentation, good quality tobacco and complexity found in this one. I had a hard time with perique -- what others are found to be mild perique or citrusy I found to be too overpowering overriding for me the virginias and latakia (eventhough my LSW asked if this was a latakia blend -- good nose on her). As usual a matter of taste. The peppery taste was just too strong for me on this one (though I like Telegraph Hill which is a great va-perique blend for me) and the spiceness stayed in my mouth for quite a while. For me its a genuine change of pace smoke or will use as a condiment to another va blend. If you are sensitive to perique as I seem to be, I'd advise staying away from this one.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is easily the most enjoyable light blend I have ever smoked...starting with the look (georgous as per GLP usual), the feel (mine was quite dry upon opening), the initial light (it fired up and burned quite well in my most finicky briar...a gift Peterson's 4th of July 2000) and the first half of the bowl (quite simply sipping magic - the brightest, sweetest smoke imaginable). Then mid-bowl to the end it was a slow diminution of that initial sweetness and a building of depth as the nuances of the L & P took their rightful place. All in all an absolute joy and the match to anything Dunhill has to offer up. I don't like to let this go out and try to re-light after any cooling rest...it has gotten very ashy on me (yak-pooey!). But overall - if a high ratio Virginia Combo with itty bitty touches of Latakia & Perique can taste like this...I'm looking for more boyos...but then, perhaps only in Greg's hands can one like this sing quite so sweetly.

My highest praise - I just ordered the bulk bag for "right now" smoking...I can't even imagine how this would be with a year of two on it...not that I'll get to find out...I'm much to weak to let a tin of it sit anywhere near that long.

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Piccadilly is from Pease's Classic Collection, his take on some well-known blends. This one is inspired by Early Morning Pipe, and while it's not a match it shares some of the character.

It's lighter than EMP, with even less Latakia flavor. The Perique tobacco is more mild than EMP's Turkish, but still in balance with the Lat. Tangy, light, and clean tasting in general.

The Virginias are more assertive in Piccadilly, and they're tasty. I've never felt like C&D-made tobacco was the best to highlight Virginia flavor, but here it's a really good mix of high note yellows and meatier reds.

The drawbacks aren't fatal here - the burn is not nearly as good as EMP, but hardly anything is. Piccadilly also gets muddy in the last 1/4 of the bowl, probably because it's more VA-forward. But all in all, I'd recommend this to a piper who wants a milder morning smoke than EMP.

Age When Smoked: 6-12 months

Similar Blends: A light version of EMP.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I hate to criticize a GL Pease pipe tobacco blend, but here goes anyway. I rate this one a 3. It's good, but not great. Probably, a little too mild for me. I prefer Dunhill's 965, Perfection, and Frog Morton Across the Pond. Those are 4's in my English blend book.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965, Perfection, Frog Morton Across the Pond.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Robust - but not to much - and good burning tobacco. A little bit different English mixture for every time of day, not just for breakfast.

My rate: 3,85

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Original 07/07/08 I like this in the morning before breakfast. It is so strange, that is the only time I can enjoy it. I smoke it in a lightweight Stanwell with a tapered bowl. It lights easy and is just enough tobac to get me through the newspaper and let my tea cool a bit. The Perique seems to jump out at you once in a while. If you think about it while you smoke, it has a bit of citrus taste but it's quickly overpowered by the Perique. (The longer the tin is opened, I think you get less of that citrus taste) I think it's a good blend but too light for an all day smoke. I go back and forth between this, Dunhill's EMP, London Mix and Peterson's Old Dublin before breakfast. My mood and taste changes every few days so I keep some of this on hand for that reason. English tobacco's have a huge range, this fits in there fairly well as a milder blend. I like the room note, it is pretty light. I smoked this at work a few times without huge objections, even a couple of, "hey, what are you smoking today?" interests. Just remember, for a English style tobacco, it has a strange flavor to it. It's light but it's there.

UPDATE 07/23/08 I just opened a new tin today, it appears to be lighter colored than my last couple. I got a strong citrus taste out of this tin. I didn't like it at all. I am going to shelf this a few weeks and see what happens. Something is different but what??????

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

The blend is a beutifully ribbon cut mixture of yellow, black and brown tobaccos. Felt the humidity to be perfect upon opening the tin. Burned extremely well. I could not determine the cinnomon as described in the review but the perique and virginan did give it a citrus type tang. It is spicy without being too spicy. The latakia is there but very light and it does make it a nice morning pipe. As many reveiewers indicate, it does have a sempblance of Dunhill's Early Monring Pipe but I like this better. I will do a cross check on this when I open another tin of EMP. A nice blend that doesn't get old.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)

Picadilly is described as milder mixture largely because it has less Latakia than other English mixure and because the virginias aboard are lighter and milder than those found in most other Pease blends.

To enjoy this blend to its fullest potential, take your time! This blend demands attention not because it might bite you, but because if you just puff mindlessly, it will seem bland.

But careful smoking can sometimes reveal a blend that changes with every puff. Once in a while a puff will hit some of the few latakia leaves, and it wil produce a smoky touch to the smooth blend of virginias; another puff will be spicier due to the perique. Another positive note is that this is one of the few Pease blends that is not full of raw impossibly hot smoking Virginias that need to age for half a decade or so.

So if you want a break from Latakia heavy blends or a nice progressive introduction to english blends for the Virginia smoker, this may be for you.

This fills a spot in todays selection which to my knowledge was heretofore only occupied by Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. It provides a nice contrast.

When smoked slowly, this blend has potential and can be quite pleasant.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As the description says, this is a light, very light, Latakia mixture. If you can grasp that simplicity, this tobacco works well. I wasn't too impressed on the first couple of bowls as I hadn't smoked anything this light for as long as I can remember, but once I got used to it, the flavor was very nuanced and delicate. Sometimes sweet, sometimes earthy, a hint of something here, a whisper there. A nice change of pace for me, and always a mystery.

Having tried all of GLP ordinary blends, I decided to start tasting his Classic Collection by its lightest offering: the description is dead accurate, as there's just a sprinkle of Latakia and no orientals here. Well, I can't comment on the quality of the tobacco (certainly high, and moisture level is perfect, guaranteeing a great burn rate), but it's not exactly my stuff. While delicate and with a subtly complex flavor, this blend does not appeal to me very much (making it the less interesting for me of Greg's Latakia blends): the Virginias are never very sweet (quite grassy instead, if I may say, but it might be because my tin was too fresh), and the Latakia is not very bold (though clearly perceivable). I am smoking it right now in a Dunhill Shell Pot which has only seen strongish Latakia blends, and the taste is rather bland. I also perceive some slight spiciness due to the Perique which in an English blend leaves me puzzled. It probably has some aging potential, but I won't smoke much of this in future. If I had to find a similar blend, I could think of some of Samuel Gawith's or Rattray's lighter Latakia mixtures. Anyway further bowls in an Ashton lovat brought out some nice nuttiness and killed of the grassiness: for me it's still too much of a delicate EM, but to be fair you can't find much better in this genre (and it's growing on me so the rating may eventually improve in time!).

UPDATE May 2005: I opened a tin which was aged for two years, and the tobacco has truly improved. Much more tasty, both on the Latakia (toastier and nuttier) and on the Virginia (less grassy, sweeter). This tin was from the same batch of my first and slightly disappointing one, so this isn't due to batch variation: maturation in the tin was the only responsible of such a great improvement! A nice, lighter EM, which is truly good to smoke in the morning in a small bowl. Similar to Dunhill EMP, but never as heavy or cloying. I am almost tempted to raise my rating to three stars!