Picadilly is a provocative blend of several Virginia tobaccos, delicately spiced with Latakia, and finished with Louisiana perique. The alluring flavor is revealed in layers throughout the smoke. It's lighter and sweeter than the others, but still rich, with hints of cinnamon and citrus. A perfect "English Breakfast Mixture."

Notes: Piccadilly was released in March, 2003

Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chestnut brown wide ribbon cut, this one contains a light amount of latakia, yet that is the predominate smell that greeted me when I cracked this 18 month old tin. It wasn't overpowering but it did provide its unmistakeable aroma. Then again, I'm extremely sensitive to the presence of latakia and have resolved a fair number of "latakia debates" for myself within the usual troupe of virginia/oriental blends where the existence of latakia is hotly argued. Heraclitus wrote that "Nature Loves To Hide". Latakia may love to as well, but it does a poor job of it in my experience. :)

And what latakia! Within a nice, soft, mildly citrusy bed of various lemon and orange virginias, this condimental tobacco lends a sharp but soft spice. I guess I've never experienced something that was both sharp and soft, but this tobacco accomplishes it, and it's an incredible experience. The latakia has the beautiful sharpness of old Dunhill 965 and old Sobranie that melds perfectly with the virginias and is finished with the perique. This blend has a lot of complexity and depth but it's not pushy about it. Chelsea Morning is far more complex (comparing two lighter fare, both from GLP) but it's more overt. This one is subtler, yet I find it more flavorful overall. The phrase "It's all in the snork" was never more true than with this blend. Further, this was one of those blends that performs even better when the smoke is directed toward the roof of my mouth than toward my tongue. Almost makes me wish I smoked Peterson pipes!

This is considered a lighter blend and I expected a mellow yet bland affair. However, it surprised me. This "breakfast mixture" contains a fair amount of latakia wallop but all within this nice, cozy little manger of soft virginias. I'm not sure how this is done but seems to be a product of blending genius. This blend is pretty far from what I usually enjoy, but has made my rotation with a bullet. Well done, Greg!

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Piccadilly, as noted, is one of the original blends in the G.L. Pease Classic Collection, along with Blackpoint, Charing Cross, and Kensington. Of these four, Piccadilly was the lightest, though to me it seemed a close cousin to Blackpoint, the same riffs in the higher register, the same contribution from the Perique throughout.

I have read many reviews comparing Piccadilly to Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, and if the Latakia content is the sole criterion, the comparison is fair. Apart from that, these blends could not be more different. EMP is far more reliant on the Oriental component than Piccadilly, which derives its unique qualities from the combination of Virginias in the blend and their interplay with the Perique.

Pipe selection matters a lot in the taste and enjoyment of many blends. In a small Sasieni, the grassy notes of the pale Virginia component are quite noticeable. In a large Dunhill billiard, this is muted by the other tobaccos raising their heads from the start. In a tobacco mixture with as many subtleties as Piccadilly, I would recommend a larger bowl to open-up the blend sooner. This will happily not cost any loss of nuance and change as one makes his way through the smoke; there are surprises aplenty.

This is described as "the perfect English breakfast smoke." Not for me; no matter how little Latakia there might be in a blend, it does not sit well with me until after lunch. In the morning, I stick to my favorite Burleys.

The can used for this review is 19-months-old, wonderfully improved from the fresh can I smoked in 2003. A couple of years should only make it even better.

Refreshing, surprising, smooth...Four out of four stars.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have to admit, that I was prepared to dislike Piccadilly. I didn't like the name, and I generally don't like lighter blends because they can end up tasting and smelling bland. Not so with this blend! I think this tin is dated 2003, but it's hard to tell because the stampings are always so faint on GLP's tins. The smell in tin is light, but delicious and rich. Others have described the look and feel, so I'll not repeat their observations. The tobacco is at the perfect hydration for firing up, and wow, was I rewarded from the very first bowl for doing so. This blend possesses a rare harmony of tastes and textures. There's a clear Virginia base here, but it combines beautifully with the small amount of latakia and perique in the blend. Piccadilly is the model of sophistication in a pipe blend. As you can tell, I was completely won over by GLP on this one because I came into the experience expecting flat, hot air. What I got was a great viognier experience.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly light golden, with some percentage of orange/red (30%), and a small amount of darker leaf. The cut was a mix of ribbon and shorter medium width pieces. Moisture content was on the dry side, typical for Pease and just the way I like it

Aroma: A marvelous bouquet of aromas from the Virginias, Latakia (not heavy) and the Perique. Definitely a ?breakfast blend?.

Packing:. Packing was quite easy in all sizes from group 3 through group 6.

Lighting:. Almost too easy. Often got a good burn with a single match.

Initial flavor: Initial flavor is like a medium English blend, with all of the parts right there. More taste than I expected from the description. On the down side, the smoke seemed to dry my mouth a bit.

Mid-bowl:. By mid bowl, the blend settles down into a milder flavor. All the parts still sing in harmony, but there isn?t much volume. Nice interplay of nuances as ribbons of each component catch fire. Overall, a nice taste but not enough of it. Must be smokes slowly, as there isn?t much in the way of slower burning darker tobaccos to slow it down.

Finish:. Ends pretty much like the middle, maybe a bit more kick from the Perique. Dry and clean, very little guck for the pipe cleaner.

Summary:. As always with Greg, the best ingredients, and a masterful blending. I generally don?t care for this genre of blends, but this is quite nice for a change of pace. I will get some to cellar for the summer months.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)

I first smoked this blend pre-release at the pipe show in Los Angeles. I had been meaning to try it again. This came to a head when I read Greg Pease?s blending notes on the mixture, http://www.glpease.com/BlendersNotebook/031118.html. In addition, I found a couple of tins with seven months of age on them in a local B&M. Finally, I have been disappointed lately with what seems to be a change in Early Morning Pipe. As Early Morning pipe fits as the light English blend in my rotation, this was the final factor to bring me to try this new blend.

Appearance: My original recollection of this blend, when newly made, was an abundance of very light tobacco, almost ivory in shade. This appears to have now darkened, although the overall color of the blend is fairly light. It now ranges from light through medium brown, with the lighter tones predominating. There is still some light yellow (lemon Virginia), as well as some olive tones. The latter suggests some oriental leaf, even if this is not listed in the ingredients.

The Perique is noticeable by smell in the tin. It is present in a moderate quantity. There is more than what might be simply used to tame the Virginias, but rather to also spice the mixture.

This is a delightful slow smoke. The blend can be best imagined as a bright and varied melody played over a pedal tone. The pedal tone in this case is almost flavorless and neutral when the tin is first opened. This develops into a sharp and flavorful tartness following a combination of air exposure and palate education. Above this tone, the melody of perique and latakia interplay amongst the Virginia. They make themselves known though brief periods of spiciness, chocolate, and fruity flavors. These come and go throughout the bowl, keeping it interesting and complex. The extent to which these flavors make their appearance varies with the air exposure of the tobacco.

The delicate and changing flavors of this blend are best appreciated on a clear palate, and with sufficient time to observe and reflect upon what you are experiencing. This is a great blend to enjoy with a book on a cool afternoon.

Despite an apparent affinity to EMP: both are lighter blends with respect to latakia and utilize marketing language evoking a sunny breakfast table, that is the extent of the similarity. The lighter blends do call for a clean palate. The interactions between the tobaccos can be best appreciated in this environment. However, the base flavor in this blend is derived from the sharpness of the bright and red Virginias. EMP, at its best, has always attracted me for its nuttiness from the orientals.

Flavor: 95/100 Smoking characteristics: 95/100 Overall: 95/100. Don?t let the 95s fool you..the only thing keeping this from a 100 is an optimistic streak that the world of tobacco will always bring a little bit more to the table. This is a great addition to GLP line-up.

January 2004 Revised

This is one blend I was hesitant to review due to my preference for "fuller" flavored tobacs, but after a tin, I am hooked. Upon opening of the tin, you are greeted by mostly bright leaf with an occasional speck of black. The tin aroma is a delicious smoky-sweet raisin aroma. Moisture is perfect and packing and lighting is a breeze. Initial flavor is of sweet virginia with the occassional flavor of the latakia coming through. The perique is sensed more than it is tasted. This is a perfect morning blend that can be smoked back to back without tongue-bite or flavor overload. For being a lighter blend, it still has a complexity that keeps you interested. Greg has used different types of virginia leaves in this blend and the "layering" can definitely be noticed as you smoke. There is not much of a building of strength as you finish the bowl and I have found myself suprised many times that I was finished with just powdery dry ash left! While this blend is not my main staple, I find myself reaching for it in the mornings quite often. Another winner. Rating 4 out of 5 points Enjoy...

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is easily the most enjoyable light blend I have ever smoked...starting with the look (georgous as per GLP usual), the feel (mine was quite dry upon opening), the initial light (it fired up and burned quite well in my most finicky briar...a gift Peterson's 4th of July 2000) and the first half of the bowl (quite simply sipping magic - the brightest, sweetest smoke imaginable). Then mid-bowl to the end it was a slow diminution of that initial sweetness and a building of depth as the nuances of the L & P took their rightful place. All in all an absolute joy and the match to anything Dunhill has to offer up. I don't like to let this go out and try to re-light after any cooling rest...it has gotten very ashy on me (yak-pooey!). But overall - if a high ratio Virginia Combo with itty bitty touches of Latakia & Perique can taste like this...I'm looking for more boyos...but then, perhaps only in Greg's hands can one like this sing quite so sweetly.

My highest praise - I just ordered the bulk bag for "right now" smoking...I can't even imagine how this would be with a year of two on it...not that I'll get to find out...I'm much to weak to let a tin of it sit anywhere near that long.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

It's an honor to be the first to review this blend. I bought it the first day it arrived on the shelf of my local B&M. I chose it over the other classics because the tin description claimed it was delicately spiced with latakia. I am not a latakia lover, so keep that in mind when you read this review. It is also suggested on the tin that this would be a great morning smoke, but when I smoke a latakia blend, I prefer the afternoon or evening. It's very late now; this will probably be my last bowl of the day. Neil Young is on the box and the dog is curled up at my feet.

The tobacco is yellow, brown, and black ribbon; there is at least four different tobaccos present. The tin aroma is lovely; it's mild with a slight latakia aroma. The moisture level seemed to be just right.

I loaded Piccadilly into my only latakia dedicated pipe: a big, old Dunhill straight billiard. The initial flavor is rich and mild at the same time; I can taste the latakia, but it's not overwhelming. I taste the Virginias towards the front of my tongue and the Oriental near the middle; the perique is there too. As I slowly smoke, I can't help but think how well Piccadilly will improve with age, due to the high proportion of Virginia tobacco present.

Towards the middle of the bowl, the Virginias start to come forward. The latakia takes a back seat, but has not gone away. When I "French inhale" I can pick up the latakia a little better. Piccadilly has much less latakia the Samarra, but still has a rich flavor one would expect from an English blend.

Piccadilly may not have enough latakia for the hardcore "lataphile", but for a Virginia flake smoker like myself, it's a very nice change of pace. It will surely find a place in my tobacco rotation. I don't think it will replace Samarra though.

The last third of the bowl the flavors meld into one interesting taste. This is where I usually tire of most English blends, due to the latakia; here it's not too much.

Buy a couple of tins. Put one away for aging and try one now.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

I find this to be an excellent blend for a cup of coffee in the morning or early afternoon! For me it is a quintessential example of what an excellent medium bodied english should taste like. I find this to be a very relaxing and enjoyable smoke and perfect for starting of your day on the right foot! Latakia is for sure the predominant tobacco here, but it blends well with the Virginias used, which IMO complement the Latakia perfectly, I tried this blend a couple years ago, and a year ago I smoked through a tin of Chelsea Morning, I can't wait till I get back to the states so I can pop a tin of both and smoke them in tandem, since for me if my memory of each serves me well, they are similar smokes and both personal favorites!

Now a year after my initial review I am smoking a bowl from a newly cracked 4 year old tin and it is sublime! Upon opening it smelled like wine and raisins. The latakia is so tantalizing to the tongue as it interplays with the perique and va's. I didn't remember detecting the perique when I first smoked this one, but now it slips in right between the latakia and VAs and adds a wonderful spiceyness to the blend, this kind of reminds me of the spiced chai of tobaccos. Creamy, rich and spicy all in one go! I definitely recommend cellaring this one for around 4 or 5 years!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Piccadilly is a blend from Greg Pease's Classic Blends collection. This blend, like other Classics, has a beautiful presentation of yellows, golds, browns, and flecks of black; the Classic line makes me almost wonder if Greg's intent was to not just put together some excellent smoking tobacco but to also create blends which simply appeal to the smoker's eye. In this blend he combined Virginia tobaccos with Latakia, then finished the blend with what seems to be a gentle serving of perique. The moisture level of this blend is, to my taste, ideal. The pouch aroma has a nice smoky sweetness. The charring light shows the Latakia promise of the blend, which is sweet and smooth. Once the bowl is lit that smoothness really comes through the stem. The latakia combines with the Virginia to deliver a woodsy smokiness that reminds me of hickory smoke, or of a good barbecue sause. The taste, on my first sample bowl, made me settle back and look forward to what would follow. At mid-bowl the smoke became almost creamy, with a sweet smokiness unlike I've experienced in an English blend prior to this. The perique, at this point, remains in the background, but begins to show itself, providing what Pease, on his web site's description, accurately calls a cinnamon-like taste. The flavor continues to please, almost delight, the palate through the end of the bowl. The flavor continues to be creamy smooth, the smoky sweetness pleasant. The perique, by the end of the smoke, adds a nice end of smoke zest. Piccadilly is, in my opinion, a fine, light English blend, and an excellent compliment to the blending artistry of the Dark Lord. While I am usually a Virginia fan, I am certainly also a Piccadilly fan. This is a tobacco I'll buy again and again. I recommend Piccadilly, without reservation, as a light treat for English fans, as a quality change of pace for Virginia lovers, and as an all-day smoke for the discerning palate. When I test blends I keep a notebook where I write my impressions and thoughts. In the margin of these notes, while smoking Piccadilly, I wrote, "Wow."

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: May, 2010

Many of you are familiar with the operatic tune "La Donna Mobile." Although Luciano Pavarotti's version is likely better known, I am particularly fond of Andrea Bocelli's rendition:

YouTube Video

But what many may not realize is that the English translation goes as follows:

This woman is flighty Like a feather in the wind, She changes her voice — and her mind. Always sweet, Pretty face, In tears or in laughter, — she is always lying.

In defense of you pipe smoking women, I am not making a statement regarding the truth or falsehood of these lyrics. I am only pointing out that the first few bowls of GLPease's Piccadilly fit this description. However, this is one of those true sleeper blends that has really grown on me as I get to know it better.

Fickle as Pavarotti's flighty woman, Piccadilly has nevertheless begun behaving itself to the point that I have come to really appreciate it. It's a strange blend to me in that I could swear I taste a significant Oriental character, but the tin description states otherwise: "Piccadilly is a provocative blend of several Virginia tobaccos, delicately spiced with Latakia, and finished with Louisiana perique." This blend requires the right pipe and good technique, which bring out some fantastic flavors and nuance.

The Latakia is very light when visually inspecting the leaves, but comes across a little stronger than expected in the flavor. However, it always remains far in the background. The Perique is not all that noticeable, unless it's what gives that Oriental-esque character in the absence of Oriental leaf. There is toastiness, there is some good Virginia sweetness not unlike that found in Union Square, and the faint smokiness of the Latakia balances the rest perfectly. This might just be a genius blend. Time will tell as I gain more experience with it and age a couple tins.

What began as a two and a half star blend for me may very well become four stars, especially with some age. Perhaps Bocelli is correct in concluding:

"Yet one never feels Fully happy Who on that bosom — does not drink love!"

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a high and tight, brisk and sweet English blend. Piccadilly has an invigorating quality to it that will definitely wake you up and make you feel like doing something. The Perique and Va work perfectly in this. The virginia is remarkably sweet without tasting artificial and the perique keeps the blend's trousers cinched tight about its waist. The latakia is distant, but reminding you that this is nothing other than English mixture. It tastes of eagerness and optimistic anticipation.

I am certain that this blend is perfect for morning and through the day smoking as it is immediately gratifying, straight forward and bright. It's not a brooding or contemplative smoke; in fact, it's probably a great one to puff if you are feeling blue. For me, I wouldn't enjoy it as much in the late evening as it seems to demand action. Sunshine. Green Lights.

Those who don't like it probably find it too mild or not enough latakia. If you get to know it on it's own terms (and that can happen quickly), you will not deny that if nothing else, Piccadilly has its very own personality and a spring in it's step.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Halfway between an English mixture and a Vaper with a Latakia twist, Piccadilly is very unique among GLPease tobaccos, away from subtle Virginias/VaPers and heavy Balkans. Lighter on Latakia than Samarra, this all-day English is already among my favorites.

Sit back and sip this outstanding tobacco. You won't regret it.

houseofaaron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
houseofaaron (4)

Greetings Fellow Pipers from the Banks of the Ouachita,

Why Mr. Greg Pease's Piccadilly blend? Well, the packaging and eloquent tin description sold me. And its the first blend I stumbled upon as a novice that had Perique in it. You see, I'm from Louisiana. Support your states growers!

My older & only sibling noticed my interest in all things pipe, and told me about driving thru the fields of Grand Point during his summer down south and having his breathe taking away and his eyes brung to tears by the pungency of the drying barns. He says that the locals smoke this stuff full strength! Thats his story any way.

I remember trying to force myself through a bowl of this stuff thinking that I had to train myself to appreciate such acquired tastes like I did with beer & wine (go Landry Vinyards!). Well, after four children, I have settled into my early 30's and lost all such pretensions, feeling now that life is too short to do things that make you miserable with the promise of deferred benefits.

After some poking around on the web this summer, my old love of pipe smoking started calling to me, and after a little digging I found a drawer at the office with my old volcano-shaped, briar sitter next to the remainders of my old tin of Piccadilly stamped 2003. I was as a giddy as a one of my girls watching Barbie commercials on a Saturday morning as I immediately went to my walking spot at Black Bayou Refuge to burn a bowl.

It was too dry. Failing the Charmin Test (squeezable with no breakage). I followed the rehydrating advice of Eric over at smokingpipetobacco.com by using a moist paper towel in the tin. This worked very well and I am pleased enough to not try other methods of hydration in the future (eg fruit slices, humidifier tablets...check Greg Pease' site for his own method of rehydration).

This is like a fiery, cajun woman. She'll please your interests, but watch you mouth or this bitch'll cut 'ya. After getting the moisture situation worked out, it burned much better to a white ash and stayed lit to the dottle, but took some maintenance mid-smoke with a pipe cleaner (I am able use q-tips on this pipe as a result of redrilling the shank - try at your own discretion).

I found the effort by Pease, along with his reputation and the sheer number of reviews he gets, intriguing enough to tempt me further into his collection in the future and regard him with the admiration due. I enjoyed this tin to the last, but I don't expect to reinvest in Piccadilly for years to come as there's just too much out there from him & his peers. Get you some if you have never experienced a VaPer. Cheers

Without Me Its Just Some.

AWE

Tobacco Tracker:

Previous Reviews:

Captain Black Gold Label **

Prince Albert (Standard label) *

Next Review:

To be determined (I think I'm ready to move on to a flake)

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Original 07/07/08 I like this in the morning before breakfast. It is so strange, that is the only time I can enjoy it. I smoke it in a lightweight Stanwell with a tapered bowl. It lights easy and is just enough tobac to get me through the newspaper and let my tea cool a bit. The Perique seems to jump out at you once in a while. If you think about it while you smoke, it has a bit of citrus taste but it's quickly overpowered by the Perique. (The longer the tin is opened, I think you get less of that citrus taste) I think it's a good blend but too light for an all day smoke. I go back and forth between this, Dunhill's EMP, London Mix and Peterson's Old Dublin before breakfast. My mood and taste changes every few days so I keep some of this on hand for that reason. English tobacco's have a huge range, this fits in there fairly well as a milder blend. I like the room note, it is pretty light. I smoked this at work a few times without huge objections, even a couple of, "hey, what are you smoking today?" interests. Just remember, for a English style tobacco, it has a strange flavor to it. It's light but it's there.

UPDATE 07/23/08 I just opened a new tin today, it appears to be lighter colored than my last couple. I got a strong citrus taste out of this tin. I didn't like it at all. I am going to shelf this a few weeks and see what happens. Something is different but what??????

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)

Tin: Difficult to detect light sweet oats from the VA and vaguely smoky from the Latakia; maybe the perique is there as an undertone. Overall, the aroma is light and indistinct. Dark blonde and light auburn, ribbon and short wide cut, which is very dry. There is a small percent of black tobacco.

Packing & Lighting: Wouldn't say it packed so well in a small bowl. Being dry, it burned quickly. A small, tapered bowl seemed easy to overpack, giving a restricted draw; there is the same concern in a large bowl.

Taste & Aroma: Initially, not much flavor, but mildly sweet cardamom. I can even imagine a whisper of honey oats and citrus tone, although I may not have, if it hadn't been suggested. After that, if you lose concentration, it migrates toward a neutral taste and aroma.

The effect on the mouth is somewhere between peppery and mildly bitey, that persists after finishing.

Nicotine: mild; for some reason, towards the bottom of the tin, it seems to have more kick.

Room Note: fairly pleasant mild to medium, but with a perique shadow cast over it.

Overall: Piccadilly is a lightweight. I need to take a pass on this one. Not that it's a bad tobacco, but it just doesn't click with my smoking habits. Based on types of tobacco, this should compare to Lombard in the Fog City Selection. 2.4 stars.

This blend requires solemn contemplation, to fully appreciate the hidden nuances. It likewise doesn't do well outdoors, in that these sublities get lost in the wind, and this leaves you with a singular pepper feel. Definitely an indoor smoke.

P.S. Piccadilly seemed much more flavorful towards the end of the tin.

Angus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angus (2)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This a very interesting blend. It is difficult for me to find similarities with other blends and it really stands on its own. The quality of the tobacco, as in Pease tradition, is very high. The two main aspects of Piccadilly are the sweetness of the VAs which is clearly detectable but remains a natural sweetness and the perfect interplay of Perique and Latakia. They are present in such proportions which is hard to separately detect each of the components. The Perique seems more perceivable but anyway its contribution is gentle and not overwhelming. The result is a very satysfing and tasty smoke, which is never hot (despite of the sweetness of the Vas). It also burns well (better than other Pease blends). I think that Piccadilly is better enjoyed when smoked as the first bowl of the day, in order to better capture the nuances of the blend which are somehow subtle but, as mentioned, very tasty. I don't rate it four stars just because my taste is more oriented to balkan or english blends where the role played by latakia and orientals is dominant. Anyway, this blend is a very good change of pace.

LostInDaJungle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LostInDaJungle (13)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Argh, I almost wish I didn't have to recommend or not. I puffed carelessly, and it was bland cardboard and grassy. The only real flavor that came through was the peppery perique that stayed lodged in my mouth for hours afterwards. After getting though half a tin, this one was given away. Of the 8 sampler Pease tobacco's I got, this was the one I had to force myself to try again and again.

Could I recommend this as a "Morning smoke"? Well, the effect the perique had on my mouth alone says no. However, maybe I went to fast, etc... But then my morning smoke isn't one of quiet contemplation. It's a (small bowled) pipe shoved in my mouth while I prep for the day ahead, drive to work.

As far as a pleasure smoke, I'd much rather have something a bit more full to sit and contemplate my navel with. I can think of several blends with "Gold" in the name I'd pick up before cracking another tin of this. I've sat with it and smoked slowly... It's better, but still not what I'm looking for.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (11)

Picadilly is described as milder mixture largely because it has less Latakia than other English mixure and because the virginias aboard are lighter and milder than those found in most other Pease blends.

To enjoy this blend to its fullest potential, take your time! This blend demands attention not because it might bite you, but because if you just puff mindlessly, it will seem bland.

But careful smoking can sometimes reveal a blend that changes with every puff. Once in a while a puff will hit some of the few latakia leaves, and it wil produce a smoky touch to the smooth blend of virginias; another puff will be spicier due to the perique. Another positive note is that this is one of the few Pease blends that is not full of raw impossibly hot smoking Virginias that need to age for half a decade or so.

So if you want a break from Latakia heavy blends or a nice progressive introduction to english blends for the Virginia smoker, this may be for you.

This fills a spot in todays selection which to my knowledge was heretofore only occupied by Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. It provides a nice contrast.

When smoked slowly, this blend has potential and can be quite pleasant.

Having tried all of GLP ordinary blends, I decided to start tasting his Classic Collection by its lightest offering: the description is dead accurate, as there's just a sprinkle of Latakia and no orientals here. Well, I can't comment on the quality of the tobacco (certainly high, and moisture level is perfect, guaranteeing a great burn rate), but it's not exactly my stuff. While delicate and with a subtly complex flavor, this blend does not appeal to me very much (making it the less interesting for me of Greg's Latakia blends): the Virginias are never very sweet (quite grassy instead, if I may say, but it might be because my tin was too fresh), and the Latakia is not very bold (though clearly perceivable). I am smoking it right now in a Dunhill Shell Pot which has only seen strongish Latakia blends, and the taste is rather bland. I also perceive some slight spiciness due to the Perique which in an English blend leaves me puzzled. It probably has some aging potential, but I won't smoke much of this in future. If I had to find a similar blend, I could think of some of Samuel Gawith's or Rattray's lighter Latakia mixtures. Anyway further bowls in an Ashton lovat brought out some nice nuttiness and killed of the grassiness: for me it's still too much of a delicate EM, but to be fair you can't find much better in this genre (and it's growing on me so the rating may eventually improve in time!).

UPDATE May 2005: I opened a tin which was aged for two years, and the tobacco has truly improved. Much more tasty, both on the Latakia (toastier and nuttier) and on the Virginia (less grassy, sweeter). This tin was from the same batch of my first and slightly disappointing one, so this isn't due to batch variation: maturation in the tin was the only responsible of such a great improvement! A nice, lighter EM, which is truly good to smoke in the morning in a small bowl. Similar to Dunhill EMP, but never as heavy or cloying. I am almost tempted to raise my rating to three stars!

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I didn't expect to enjoy Picadilly one bit. I figured it would be too mild for me. However, to my pleasant surprise, this blend has enough body to tide me over.

Picadilly is an attractive tobacco (big shock!) that screams quality -- from the leaf to the scent to the burn. The smoke does have its mild moments, but there are enough punchy puffs in each bowl to warrant a strength rating of medium.

The dry, silky finish I enjoy in many of Greg's other blends is prominent here as well. Mouthfeel is balanced, and Picadilly is easy to smoke. This also is a prime example of how good Latakia can be when used as a condiment. I love Latakia-drenched tobacco, but not every English or Balkan blend needs to be bathed in the stuff to be full, bold, or rich. The Perique -- another so-called spice tobacco that I can't seem to get enough of -- is, as you'd expect from Greg Pease, used in an amount appropriate enough to give it the attention it deserves without trampling the other exciting components in the mixture.

I can't say for sure whether I'll add Picadilly as a regular to my rotation. However, it is unique and flexible enough that I will likely buy tins to age. This is a welcome treat at any time of day.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

The tin I am sampling is almost two years old prior to opening.

This mostly blond and light brown blend is speckled lightly with Latakia and Perique. The cut is very fine, small pieces- almost like whole coffee beans ground by "pulsing" once or twice. The cut requires care to not overpack, thus potentially causing heat and moisture in excess.

In smoking, there is a tanginess and just a hint of Perique's presence, which keeps this from being as sweet as its lighter tones might promise.

Piccadilly has a bright, plucky, almost grassy flavor, and some of the bitterness I noted in my review of Blackpoint. The tanginess and bitter notes are hard for me to explain without Orientals (which I think are there despite lack of mention on the tin).

It is a score for the pianissimo, piccolo, flute, and tenor brass. Not much in deep, broad flavors associated with fuller English blends.

Lighting, burning and smoking properties are indicative of a quality concoction. The flavor demands repeated bowlfuls, but be careful to puff gently, use a large pipe and do not overpack the bowl or your tongue will suffer.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Piccadilly is an intriguing tobacco. Mostly bright Va?s with flecks of darker leaf here and there. I found a mixture of ribbon and fine cut pieces.

According to the tin, some of those dark flecks were Latakia. The tin aroma suggested Latakia. The flavor was more like an essence of Latakia. If you are considering this blend, but are put off by the idea of Latakia, don?t let that stop you. After the charring light, you may not even remember it?s there, because it stays well into the background providing a low-note base for the Virginias.

The Perique is ever-present, but well in the background. The Va leaf is most definitely the star of this show. The complexity of the Va is simply amazing. Every puff brings a new taste sensation. Subtle sweetness is intermingled with citrus-like nuances in a way that keeps you looking forward to the next puff.

Piccadilly burns well right to the bottom of the bowl, and in my most unforgiving briar I only had to use a pipe cleaner on a few rare occasions. As you reach the bottom, the Perique pops out for a little finale.

I tried DGT with Piccadilly a few times, ranging from 2 to 12 hours. At lower DGT times the overall flavor picks up a notch, and at 12 hours the Va becomes much bolder, but at the expense of the subtleties.

If it were possible to pull me away from my full English, Latakia-laden blends like Raven's Wing and convert me to Va?s on a regular basis, Piccadilly would be the best candidate for the task. While I appreciate the flavors the and superior qualities of this blend, it will not be something I smoke regularly. Based upon the rating criteria we use here, I have to give this blend only two stars, because I very well might try it again ? but I will not keep this wonderful blend on hand. It just isn?t the style I prefer. So, two stars ? but one of the finest two-star tobaccos you?ll ever run across.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)

Darn good. I was looking for a series of blends that would offer a change of pace from the darker, full-bodied blends that I was used to smoking. I got worn out on some of the latakia dumps that love so much. Picadilly, is sleak and crisp. There is no lack of flavor here. It stimulates my senses in the morning. I love it with lapsang suchong tea. I get citrus notes as stated in the tin description provided as well as mild salted pork and a subtle sweetness and peppery spice provided by the perique. It reminds me of peking duck. BAM! this is a home run. This is now a major staple in my smoking diet. Piccadilly is stimulating, its a contemplative blend that makes me quite happy in the morning, when I can usually be a bit of a buzz kill. Excellent.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is an intersting Vaper. The latakia is very minimal and almost unnoticeable. The blend has a raw sort of taste to it at first light but it smooths out a little as it goes.

The perique is a bit more than I would like in this blend but it is not totally overwhelming. It builds as the bowl progresses and gets peppery to the end. Not bad, it just leaves a peppery sensation on my tongue for a while. It does get at my throat a little, but not as bad as some other periques do. I will smoke this till the tin is gone but it is not my favorite Pease blend.

For Vaper lovers wanting a milder perique. This is not bad. In fact I am more critical on the Pease blends because I have very high expectations from them.

I would reccomend it if you like a definite note of perique in your smokes. This one should get a lot smoother with age. We will see.

Update: actually this one has grown on me a lot and I smoke it every day, Its pretty much my all day smoke lately. To be noted the tins always need to breathe a little. I dont mean leave them open- not at all. Just open for a minute or two every day and after 5 days or so they are much more friendly to smoke. In my case by the fifth day of smoking I hit the stride of the tin, look at it however you want but all the Pease blends to seem simillar in this manner. More so than other brands.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a very light blend that reminds me a little bit of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, only with more high notes and some additional sweetness. It's extremely mild (about the same punch as Frog Morton) with a heavy emphasis on the lighter Vas. The tin description of having "hints of cinnamon and citrus" is spot-on accurate. There's not a lot of change as the bowl burns down, but it does pick up a little depth when you get to the last third. The latakia is certainly noticeable throughout the smoke, but it rarely draws attention to itself. The perique is barely detectable, and I honestly think the blend could use a little more to offset the nip of the brighter Vas. As is usually the case with GLP blends, the quality of the tobacco and the presentation are first-rate.

The burning characteristics are about average. Expect some relights and you might need to tamp a few times, but nothing too onerous. It will bite you if you rush things, which is easy to do because of the mild flavor. Again, a little more perique would be nice here ...

This is realistically somewhere between 2 and 3 stars. It doesn't strike me as anything special, but it's certainly enjoyable when I'm in the right mood. I heartily recommend this to the Frog Morton crowd or those looking for a replacement for the aforementioned EMP. If you like full-bodied smokes, however, look elsewhere.

fmichaelnv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fmichaelnv (5)

If you've read my review of Kensington you will find that with this blend, Piccadilly and Charing Cross, 85% of my tobacco taste needs are fulfilled. Piccadilly is slightly milder than Kensington, but more peppery as a result of the perique. It is a perfect morning blend and terrific as an all day smoke. The virginias are in the foreground, the latakia is present but subtle and the perique contributes just the right amount of spice and pepper.

It is dry and packs very easily in any size pipe. The flavor develops as you burn down toward the bottom, but the perique really kicks in toward the last third of the bowl. What an exceptional tobacco this is.

In the morning or after a light meal, I usually smoke Piccadilly or Kensington. Later in the day I gravitate to Charing Cross, but have found myself delighting in Piccadilly as well...denoting how versatile this tobacco is.

ChappistMonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChappistMonk (7)

Another Pease tobacco in my recent sampling exercise, and a very interesing one. I would certainly agree that this is a good "morning pipe", as it's light enough to be smoked first thing and repeatedly throughout the day. The Latakia provides depth without ever becoming obtrusive and the flavour has a candied peel citrus note plus a pleasant peppery overtone from the Perique. A very fine accompaniment to black coffee!

I'll definitely keep this on the go. Whilst it doesn't quite attain the dizzy heights reached by Blackpoint (nothing I have tried - so far at least - does) it has the advantage of being smokeable at any time of day, whereas Blackpoint is definitely one for the evening.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)

Puff slowly and enjoy. A great morning tobacco but can bite. Let's say for a slow weak-up ;). Jokes apart I see little latakia but clearly noticeable excellent VA Perique in the background. Gives a little nicotine shot (VA) the aroma is pleasing, nobody complains too much after breakfast and most important leaves you with the desire of a second bowl. An excellent mixture on the lighter (vs darker) side but do not under estimate its power. This after several tins smoked. Leaves a clean dry bowl. (Small pipes + Piccadilly, Samarra, Westminster, Penzance, Pirate cake C&D, Bed & Breakfast C&D are on top of my list)

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

This is perhaps one of the most unique pipe tobacco blends I've ever encountered. Mr. Pease's mention of citrus & cinnamon on the tin ring very true. There's almost a note of leomony orange with a cinnamon/cardamom note. You'd almost think it was flavored, but upon more careful tasting, you realize this is simply a master blender at work. My tin dates from 4/8/04 and it did seem quite dry to the touch, almost a papier-mâché like texture, but it burns well, i.e. not too fast and reveals a nice not too dry moisture. frankly, I'd say that the perique here is much stronger than the latakia, though both sort of synergize to spice the predominant VAs, which are quite rich & wonderful.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

My palate tells me this is a milder version of Peretti?s British Blend, a tobacco of my youth. My review for the latter applies here except for the strength and fullness factors. If you want a fuller, stronger smoke after dinner, go with British Blend. For something lighter in the morning, ?Pick a (real) Dilly? and select Piccadilly. These two are among my top 5 English blends.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.5 out of 10.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)

Thought I'd give this a try for a early day option. It could be a good start-of-day smoke because it isn't too heavy. But as one reviewer had mentioned somewhere McClelland is noted for its ketchup, Macbaren its honey, and Pease for his perique, and I've found that the case here. All the Pease characteristics of good presentation, good quality tobacco and complexity found in this one. I had a hard time with perique -- what others are found to be mild perique or citrusy I found to be too overpowering overriding for me the virginias and latakia (eventhough my LSW asked if this was a latakia blend -- good nose on her). As usual a matter of taste. The peppery taste was just too strong for me on this one (though I like Telegraph Hill which is a great va-perique blend for me) and the spiceness stayed in my mouth for quite a while. For me its a genuine change of pace smoke or will use as a condiment to another va blend. If you are sensitive to perique as I seem to be, I'd advise staying away from this one.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Piccadilly is among the lightest, most refined English blends you'll find anywhere. Only GL Pease could have given us a pipe tobacco of such elegance, precision, and exquisite balance. The marriage of Virginias, perique, and latakia make for a fascinating and consistent smoke, perfect for evenings with a good book.

I highly recommend this masterpiece.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I love this blend. This has got to be the best morning smoke on the market. I love to smoke this in the morning. It's sweet, full, and spicy; and all without being overpowering or too full flavored. I love the fruity flavor and the Perique together; fantastic! If you haven't tried this one as a morning smoke, you are missing out.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)

The last two tins of Early Morning pipe(Dunhill)that I purchased was no-where near the quality it has been in the past I was reccomended to try this by my tobacconist.I just can't say enough good about this blend.Imagine Virginias that are smooth and do'nt burn the tounge at all!It's become my favorite morning smoke.Pease has done it again.It's far superior to EMP in every way!If you're a fan of Virginias do'nt hesitate to try this blend.You might never go back again....Highly Recommended! prep ====Update Sept. 1st "04"=== While I do still enjoy this blend,I've found that a couple of mornings a week smoking it is my limit.Smoking it daily lessened my enjoyment of it almost completely.More than one bowlful makes this taste one dimensional,steamy hot and a bit bland overall.Still better than EMP and still Recommended....

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

I’ll keep this very simple—this is a decent, but hardly distinguished light English blend. I found this blend to be rather uninteresting. Though the Virginias seem to be of reasonable quality they just don’t seem to contribute much to the blend other than to act merely as a base. The tin description suggests a more complex blend of Virginia, Latakia and Perique and I just don’t find much complexity. Perhaps the blend would benefit from the addition of some Turkish. There are other Pease English and Balkan blends that have more to offer.

This is a nice blend that fills a "niche" for a mild Latakia morning smoke. There's no bite, good on the relight and reminds me of "Squadron Leader" or "King Charles Mixture" , maybe even a smoother EMP but without the "lemon pucker" . It has the same ribbon/shag cut that I like to ball and stuff in one piece for loading.. Although Oriental is not listed and Perique is, I catch a hint of Oriental but very little Perique and the "N" is slightly higher. To me this is more of a "Brown" Virginia/Oriental forward blend with only the hint of Latakia. Very nice, very smooth but not as flavorful as some of Pease's other blends .

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)

The Lat and Per and modestly used making the a lovely light blend and beautifully balanced. Another stellar performance by GLP.

idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the interest of full disclosure, I can't deny that I'm an unabashed fan of G.L. Pease. There are few, if any, of Greg's blends which I've tried and not immediately added to my rotation and cellar.

With that out of the way, I will say that this is really a pleasant blend. Nice and easy, mild, and as it says on the tin, it is an ideal "English Breakfast Mixture." Admittedly it does not have the depth that typify most English blends, but it makes up for it in being bright and easy on the palette - a great way to "wake up" the taste buds in the morning.

The latakia is certainly present, but it definitely sits well in the background, popping up as a reminder from time to time. The usual dark fruitiness of perique is virtually absent, and the only real sense of perique arrives in the back of the nose with its usual spiciness (understated, but in a good way). There is a hint of citrus as the tin suggests, but I failed to pick up any cinnamon.

As the reviewer before points out, this pairs better with tea than with coffee. I think this is also a good analogy for the blend, itself. It isn't as bold or brash as a good, strong cup of coffee, but lighter and more reserved like a good cup of tea. It is no less satisfying than stronger English blends, provided you don't expect Piccadilly to be something that it's not.

As a side note, this blend responds VERY well to aging (not surprising considering the presence of VA)...even one year is enough to make a noticeable difference.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

Piccadilly is mild English suitable for a morning smoke. It does pair well with tea (as opposed to coffee--just better suited for a lighter drink). It is supposed to have Latakia and Perique but there is little Lataka taste (fine with me in a morning blend) and I really couldn't detect the Perique--the quantity must be small. It has a fine, lighter taste and good aroma and smokes to a dry ash.

My only gripe with Piccadilly is that it's tough to keep lit due to the broad cut of the ribbon. It works best for me in a pot given the cut. But, overall, a fine blend.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Opening the tin and sniffing this mix of long and short-cut, medium ribbon and broken flake, latakia greeted me upfront along with a sauerkraut aroma produced by virginias with four years of tin time.

In the bowl, bright and orange virginias take the lead while the latakia and perique neither exceed nor shirk their roles as condiments. The entire affair is suitably rich and piquant (earlier reviews noting "BBQ sauce" are spot-on), though so exceptionally juxtaposed that even such subtleties as "hints of cinnamon" are occasionally presented to the attentive palate.

Though flavor-forward and rich, Piccadilly is masterfully balanced, rewarding attentive puffing with an experience both soothing and stimulating. Aging is highly recommended. This seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

Bike Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bike Pipes (10)

GLPease himself says that of his Latakia blends (to-date) this one has the least percentage of latakia. That doesn't mean that it goes unnoticed like it does in Fillmore, in fact I find the opposite in that the latakia is enough to mask whatever perique there may be in this blend. In essence, the opposite of what Fillmore does in containing enough perqiue to make the latakia practically undetectable. Anyways, for the blend itself, I'd say that the tobaccos are of good quality, as wood be expected from GLPease; however, in terms of complexity, it would be lower on the scale than many other GLPease blends. The smoke is consistent throughout, which is good, but it's slightly boring without much variation from the top through to the bottom of the bowl. I would recommend this as an introduction to latakias as it's not very strong and far from overwhelming like other latakia blends can be; however, if you're looking for a smoke to sit down and give thought to (i.e. contemplate which flavors are shining through and how the smoke changes as the bowl progresses) this blend won't be it.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

I received Piccadilly in error as part of an order I placed online. My expectations were low and I anticipated a bland, boring smoke.

Well, I was mistaken and pleasantly surprised.

Piccadilly is light, yet rich, as the tin states, and nicely balanced. It doesn't have the punch and tanginess of Chelsea Morning's ready-rubbed flakes, but this can be a morning and all-day smoke for many and I enjoy it more than CM. It's not going to knock your socks off, but it has enough flavor to carry itself even after a light meal and is delicious with a morning cup of coffee. If you're in the mood for a very pleasant, light and natural smoke -- no toppings here -- give it a try. It's smoky and toasty and the perique is a core ingredient that holds the entire mixture together and enlivens the tastebuds.

I was excited to try this blend because my first tin of it had some age on it. This review is based on two tins, a new one and one that was 4 years old. Unlike many of Pease blends, the additional age didn't help to improve this tobacco. Its just plain boring. dry and lacking any depth. There are many other mild English blends that have more flavor. As far of the "hints of cinnamon and citrus"...give me a break. Not Recommended.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is a sleeper. I wasn't too enthused about it at first, but something drew me back to it. Now, 5 or 6 tins and a couple of years later, it has become a summertime standard.

The tin opens to display a medium brown mix of short ribbons with a sprinkling of darker strands. The tin aroma is unremarkable, just good solid tobacco with a whiff of the Perique, while the Latakia just makes its presence known. Moisture has ranged from perfect to just a little dry, and is more consistent than some other Pease/C&D offerings.

On light up - and it does light and burn exceptionally well - the first impression is of a mild sweetness. As the bowl progresses, the Perique builds, while the Latakia stays in the background. Unlike some other 'light' blends, though, there is enough Lat in the blend to satisfy me. At the end of the bowl, all three components balance and somehow add up to more than they should. It finishes with very little ash and a dry bowl.

I have rated this three stars, but it only just misses four because it IS so mild. The very quality that makes it perfect for summer leaves it a little lacking once the weather turns colder. It will certainly remain in my rotation as a seasonal entry and I highly recommend it as such.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

Robust - but not to much - and good burning tobacco. A little bit different English mixture for every time of day, not just for breakfast.

My rate: 3,85

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

This is one terrific smoke but the latakia lover may be left wanting a little more. Piccadilly is a Vaper with a bit of latakia to keep you guessing, it is a great all day and morning smoke but I also enjoy it in the afternoon and evening. The perique is just right for me and provides a bit of a nose tingle but the latakia is what sets this blend off as it weaves in and out of the smoke. Everytime I smoke this blend I am craving another bowl 30 minutes later. It is fast becoming a favorite.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)

The blend is a beutifully ribbon cut mixture of yellow, black and brown tobaccos. Felt the humidity to be perfect upon opening the tin. Burned extremely well. I could not determine the cinnomon as described in the review but the perique and virginan did give it a citrus type tang. It is spicy without being too spicy. The latakia is there but very light and it does make it a nice morning pipe. As many reveiewers indicate, it does have a sempblance of Dunhill's Early Monring Pipe but I like this better. I will do a cross check on this when I open another tin of EMP. A nice blend that doesn't get old.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

The Latakia seems to lay between the Virginia base and the Perique's spice, complimenting and accentuating both. It seems to bring out the sweetness of the Virginia while highlighting the fig and raisen notes brought by the Perique. The blend is very approachable, it burns nicely, doesn't bite, and the ribbon cut packs easily.

Those seeking heavey blakan blends look elsewhere. No orientals are present, and the latakia is a condiment not a component in this fine blend. The taste is natural and unique. It can be smoked any time of day or all day. This is one of my favorite Pease blends and most definately has my highest recomendation for anyone looking to try something different.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)

this is a great gate-way into the world of English, or latakia blaends for new smokers who aren't sure what thay like yet, or for a morning pipefull of well made baccy.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

As a fan of the "Master of 3 star blends", I was so looking foward to testing Piccadilly. Upon opening of the tin it is a very beautiful tobacco with many varieties of Va leaf and "delicate" amount of latakia. The aroma is almost hay-like as I believe it is still quite young. Packing and lighting like most of Pease blends, is very consistent. It burns well and the taste is mostly immature Va`s with an occasional hit of latakia and perique but, far in the back of the plane. The Va`s are seated in the cockpit of this craft! It was an uneventfull flight to say the least. As my tin was less than a month old I can only hope the other 2 will age gracefully and maybe the latakia and perique will decide to at least upgrade to 1st class!! Let`s hope so as this latakia-laden tongue of mine cannot detect the layers of flavors others talk about.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice light English. A bit more complexity and body than EMP, Piccadilly is an excellent introduction to the style as well as a nice change-of-pace smoke for those (of us) who are not Latakia junkies. Despite it's relative lack of body, it exhibits no lack of complexity; I'm always discovering another nuance to it's character.

Typical of Greg's work, Piccadilly uses top shelf leaf and is masterfully blended. I'll keep this around for the occasional Latakia cravings between bowls of my dwindling supply of Scandal

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As the description says, this is a light, very light, Latakia mixture. If you can grasp that simplicity, this tobacco works well. I wasn't too impressed on the first couple of bowls as I hadn't smoked anything this light for as long as I can remember, but once I got used to it, the flavor was very nuanced and delicate. Sometimes sweet, sometimes earthy, a hint of something here, a whisper there. A nice change of pace for me, and always a mystery.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A fine blend, but too Virginia-heavy for my tastes. I prefer when Mr. Pease gets ham-handed with the Latakia, rather than his ?delicate? application of it here, as the description notes. Great for Virginia smokers who want a blend with a light touch of Latakia just to mix things up a little bit, but ultimately unsatisfying to Latakia-lovers like myself. If you are a fan of Early Morning Pipe, I suspect you will love Piccadilly. Personally, I?ll stick to some of the many other outstanding mixes made by Pease.

Steve P-H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve P-H (6)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been a fan of Dunhill's Early Morning for years. Now after alternating several half-pounds of Early Morning and Picadilly in my morning rotation, I've settled on Picadilly as my favorite. It's mild in strength, but delivers a rich, complex medley of flavors--never predictable, always offering some interesting new nuances.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Piccadilly, for me, is a very light smoke with a neutral, nearly tasteless base, overweighted sometimes with Perique and other times with a bitter edge that I took to be Orientals. Since no Orientals are listed in the ingredients, I am at a loss to explain the bitter edge that comes and goes as you make your way down the bowl. Piccadilly smokes well, to a fine, dry, gray-and-white ash. It just doesn't do much for me. I can think of any number of other "breakfast blends" that I prefer. This blend may improve with aging (my tin is about six months old), but it doesn't strike me now as on a par with Greg Pease's best work, which I take to be Renaissance, Cairo, and Caravan.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

I am a relative newbie at various tobaccos, so take this review with a grain of salt.

I was wanting to try a light English blend, in order to diversify from the stoved Virginia flakes I normally smoke. I was given a sample packet of Picadilly to try. My first bowl was lovely, and subsequent bowls have been equally good. A light, mild tobacco, with a nice citrus taste on the tongue. Refreshing is a word that comes to mind. I'm typically not a lover of latakia, but this was very nice. I like the way you can taste the various ribbons of tobacco fire up. The tin notes say this is a good morning tobacco, and I concur. I can see this becoming part of my regular rotation. I recommend this particularly for VA smokers looking to expand their horizons.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

There is nothing special, interesting or notable about this blend.

Enough latakia to satisfy my craving but that's about it.

won't buy again.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Pease blends are very hit or miss for me.... This one missed by a country mile. Little flavor, no complexity and limp wristed in the strength department. It was very difficult to taste anything other than the Perique, which popped up like a toadstool in freshly cut grass (Annoying and distracting when taking in the entire scene).

I suppose if one enjoys bland English style tobacco with loads of Perique, this would be a good choice. Otherwise, there are far to many classy blends of this genre to recommend Piccadilly to anyone.