BnB Tobacco

The most Latakia of any blend we make combined with old belt Virginias and Orientals for a classic blend.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.1
bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Peter Stokkebye's take on what today is considered a typical English blend...Traditional English blends before mid-nineteenth century contained no Latakia...Only Virginias, Burley, Orientals, and perhaps some black Cavendish and/or Perique...But I digress...This is a very good blend...Those of you who expect and are seeking a Lat bomb would do well to look else where...Latakia in this blend is subdued by the Orientals as it should be...Room note is tolerable but won't win you any friends amongst non-smokers or those who run hiding whenever the words 'English blend' are spoken...Contemplative smoke...Not to be rushed...Sit back and enjoy...Would definitely buy again and again.

JDub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDub (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very strong and full bodied smoke. Not for those likely anything remotely mild. But if you enjoy a good English then you will enjoy Proper English. has strong notes of campfires and burning wood. The Latakia is tempered by the Oriental and it all comes together perfectly. I typically smoke this out of a smaller pipe since I best enjoy for 15-30min. Not a blend I would sit and smoke for hours on end. But it sure does hit the spot when wanting a good English blend!

Purchased From: BnB

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)

Pouch note is heavy oriental stank and some woodsy/campfire notes, a little fermented fruit like raisins or plums in the backend. Tobacco in the pouch is pretty much perfect for a bowl, almost feeling too dry but with quite a bit of spring when pinched and no crackling or powder.

Initial char is oriental forward and musty, latakia provides a little nasal earthy spice and smoke. The flavor is very well rounded and balanced. While initial light gave a slight promise of a bright, almost virginia flavor, that either blended well with the other components or was just a figment of the imagination... once the bowl was burning well I lost much of that brightness... instead I got a good "benchmark" English, kinda funky, musty, spicy (like fennel or caraway seeds, not like pepper), deep and brooding. Think Grieg vs. Beethoven. Sumatra vs. Kona. Cello vs. Violin.

At the very end, I got a hint of flavor reminding me of cigar leaf. I was left with a coarse dottle and ash, fairly par for the course with most English I've smoked.

Nicotine content was just right for me personally, but I find nicotine content to be very subjective and tolerances vary. It was enough to know it was there and to relax me, but not too much for me to tempt my head to feel swimmy.

This blend stands well as scratching all the itches that an English should scratch. A good blend that I would recommend for anyone that would smoke an English as a daily smoker.

Pipe Used: Edwards Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased 5/2014)

Purchased From: WVSmokeshop

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you are just venturing into the world of English blends this would be a great place to start. There is nothing to herald about this blend, it in no way caused me any sort of pipe smoking enlightenment, but at the same time there is a real appeal to its humble straightforwardness.

The Stokkebye blends are always quality and always a great bargain. I keep many on hand for this reason. This blend is just a good fullish English. No complaints. It is well balanced in the fact that the orientals come through nicely. I really like this blend, and as a bulk blend, any pipe smoker should have a couple ounces of this cellared. Very nice, and will buy again.

The Orientals play a minor, but important role in the blend, adding the necessary bass notes to keep this from boring you to death. The Virginia has little sweetness, mainly providing the usual hay and grass notes as it forms the base for the latakia to play with. The latakia is amply present, but as others have noted, this is not a lat-bomb. It may be just a tad stronger than an entry level English, so I'm not sure this where I'd start a novice. I had a few bowls where it didn't taste so great near the bottom, being more acrid than sludgy. It's really more of a two and half star English, but it's at a good price point, and will cure your latakia craving. Burns well with few relights, and no real goop to speak of at the end. No frills either, but sometimes a working man's English is all you need.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

One of my favorite English blends, you can taste the quality of the tobaccos used in this blend, even tho it is a pretty latakia forward blend, there is a good amount of body to the smoke which starts off nice and smokey and then a nice sweet finish

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Age When Smoked: all ages

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Similar Blends: Drew Estate Meat pie.

rgoot01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rgoot01 (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my third attempt with English blends. The two blends I tried prior to this darn near turned my off of English blends all together. I purchased a couple ounces of this blend based on recommendations from other patrons at the local B&M. Upon returning home I decided to pack a bowl of this in a cob and give it a try. This blend was easy to pack, easy to light and burned well. Unlike the previous two blends I had tried prior to this, I enjoyed this blend so much that I decided to purchase a pound of this blend at the B&M. This has now become my go to English blend and will always be in my rotation. To be perfectly honest I used to be an aromatic smoker, now because of this blend, I rarely smoke the aro's. Absolutely fantastic smoke and would highly recommend this to anyone looking to venture into the world of English blends.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I picked up a half pound of this at Leaf & Ale in Knoxville, TN and am very glad I did. It is awesome, definitely one of the best I've smoked. The taste is there in spades and very pleasing if you like English blends. I'd consider this one of a handful of the best in that category. I bought it with some Dunhill 965 ( see my review on that one as well if you care ) and find myself smoking this one much more. The Latakia is very prominent but it is definitely playing with other tasty compatriots in true harmony, giving this a richness and complexity that never ceases to please. I sincerely hope this blender decides to someday blend a Balkan, that is it's equal, if they do it's likely no one would miss Balkan Sobranie!

At first blush, it appears to be a "proper english". Fairly dark ribbon, loaded with latakia, backed up by orientals and using virginia as a base. The tin aroma is latakia - big surprise.

The blend started out amicably enough. Not as powerful as I imagined but decent tasting. The latakia is smoky as it should be and prominent. The orientals poke through every now and again and the virginias provide a light sweetness. All seems to be going well. However, the taste took a huge turn for the worse about 1/3 down the bowl. It became bitter and uneven, with a resin-like chalkiness. The mouthfeel became rough and the taste was of something I've never experienced in an English latakia blend. I have no idea what could cause this. Eventually, however, the blend settled down into what can only be called unmemorable-ness. An odd decent-to-awful-to-boring trip. Not to be repeated.

I've had pretty good luck with Stokkebye blends in the past. I cannot call them "great" blends but they are certainly "good". This one I found to be not so good. This may be PS' idea of a proper English, but it is definitely not mine. I'm giving it 2 stars because it's nowhere near as awful as other blends I've given one star to, but neither is it as good as other 2 star blends I've smoked. Low cost pushes it up to 2 stars.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

Probably the best English blend I have smoked in decades. That along with the reasonable price make it for me a great blend. Highly Recommended

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is an excellent English blend. Took about 2 ounces before I truly got to know this mixture. I have tried several high dollar tinned and bulk English blends and this one tops them all. This is a smooth full bodied smoke that never fails to bring me to that euphoric state.

Davo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davo (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is great stuff for the price. The moisture content was perfect. It lights easily, smokes cool and is low maintenance. This is what pipe dreams are made of.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is definitely one that could be an every day smoke. I had a little trouble keeping it lit, but perseverance yielded one of my most relaxing smokes of the month. The latakia is not overpowering, but its presence is not lacking. I do think that this is the first blend of oriental tobacco that I have tried. I recommend this tobacco for those looking for a proper English blend for pleasure and not a nicotine fix.

Also mixes very interestingly with R C cola.

Huck Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huck Finn (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Proper English is a truly commendable English blend. It never lacks for flavor though it also does not come off as one dimensional. The balance in this blend is noticed from the first match to the last puff. The latakia is not overwhelming but the blend does not go wanting for it either. It lights and burns nicely, has good body and it has a moisture content consistent with other fine pipe tobaccos of this nature. I consider this a distinguished Peter Stokkebye blend that I intend to keep in my rotation at all times. If you have not had the opportunity to try this remarkable mix give it a try, it does not disappoint.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)

I like this tobac. After searching for replacements for the Dunhill tobac I have smoked for 45 years I came upon Stokkebyes blends a few years ago. English Oriental Supreme is hands down my favorite in the P.S. line-up but P.E. comes in a close second. Here is a english that has a lot of taste!! the Latakia really shines with the virginias adding a a nice body of sweet that perfectly compliments this blend. This is an all day blend that packs and burns great. Brought to you in bulk and at a great savings compared to the cost of the boutique blends available. Master blenders like Stokkebye could teach apprentices like Pease a thing or two IMHO. This blend does not disappoint!!!!!!!!!!!!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Right off the bat I have to tell you I was a Dunhill My Mixture 965 smoker for over 20 years. It was my "all day smoke". I would order a 5lb bag of it about every 6 weeks or so from JR Cigars. As we all know, Dunhill pipe tobaccos are gone. I emailed British American Tobacco and asked if they planned to bring back Dunhill's pipe tobaccos and the answer I received was basically "we are not saying anything at this time".

Well folks, I gotta tell you this comes mighty close to the flavor of MY Mixture 965. I had loved 965 for years and now I have a new love: Proper English. I would advise all Dunhill puffers to give Proper English a try. The only advice I have is to spread it out on some wax paper and let it dry out a bit as it is a little too moist for my taste out of the bag.

I hope all my fellow Dunhill fans will give Proper English a try. You may just find (after you dry it out a bit) that you no longer pine for the flovors of Dunhill Pipe tobaccos as Proper English is one heck of a smoke and less expensive to boot. Happy puffing & God bless PS Remember to dry it out a bit!!!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been a long time fan of Balkan Supreme (BS), so I had to grab some Proper English last time I was in the Tinderbox in Santa Monica (worth a stop just to look at the paraphernalia on the walls!). Not sure how long their bag had been open, but my four-ounce baggie-full was on the dry side, just the way I like it.

Proper English has become an all-time favorite. It's more earthy than BS, which is expected from the high percentage of Latakia. Nevertheless, it remains smooth as silk, full of flavor, a big mouthful of complexity that retains the Virginias in the background. This blend is very temperature dependent, meaning you can get differing experiences in the same bowl-full by firing it up then backing off on the temp.

The first three minutes are not so impressive, but once the bowl warms up and the flavors begin to meld, it turns into a fantastic experience that I don't want to end. I guess I need to get a pipe with a bigger bowl! When one considers the great price, I think there is no better value available in high quality english/balkan blends.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

One of the better English bulks on the market. Well balanced, plenty of Latakia and rich in flavor. Widely available in bulk and reasonably priced. One of Stokkebye's finest achievements for sure. Knowledgeable smokers of English blends should enjoy it. Novice smokers maybe not so much.

Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

Never thought I'd puff on a "Danish English" blend with this much "English" flavor.... Full in the taste department but a "smooth full" if that makes any sense.

Easy to pack and burn due to the cut; this one has a flavor that Latakia lovers, in particular, will enjoy. I can't compare this one to Nightcap as this Stokkebye blend contains no Perique. Maybe EMP is comperable, but certainly revved up in the Latakia department.

pipewelder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewelder (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Proper English may not be in the same league as Nightcap (which honestly is a little to much for me),but this is an excellent english with a good mix of Latakia and Oriental on top of the Virginia used. A solid 3 stars IMO!!!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I have to say this came as a surprise. After reading some of the reviews I thought I was in for a very subdued version of Early Morning Pipe. Not so. True, this may not be in the same league as Nightcap or Penzance, but it?s no timid, wishy-washy English mixture. It definitely is stronger than Peterson?s Old Dublin or Davidoff?s Royalty, and I would even say it comes close to Gawith?s Commonwealth Mixture. Like the latter, PE seems to be lacking in the Turkish/Oriental department, concentrating most of its flavour (and indeed harshness) in the Virginia/Latakia interplay. Thus, one could safely say this is a toned up version of C&D?s Yale Mixture.

My order came rather dry (maybe this accounts for the harshness), but it took to the initial light beautifully, and stayed lit throughout the smoke. In spite of the Latakia it is not a cool smoke, but it doesn?t bite either. It has a very austere structure. Not too many flavours competing with each other, but rather, like a basso continuo, a permanent and consistent bitter/sweet undertone.

In that sense, it is not a distracting smoke. It doesn?t require much maintenance once you get it going. One can be writing, reading or chatting with a reasonable fellow smoker without having to pay much attention to the pipe.

I wouldn?t go out of my way to get hold of this blend, but were it readily available where I live, I wouldn?t hestitate in keeping it in my rotation. Recommended as a reliable and consistent English, excellent for a foggy afternoon.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

I ordered this on the recommendation of a knowledgeable friend. I have been smoking quite of bit of Renaissance lately and there is quite of bit of similarity between these two. Proper English is perhaps a little less strong and does not have the complexity of Renaissance, but is a good alternative if price is a consideration. I believe I paid $24 for a pound of Proper English whereas Renaissance is far more. I certainly have smoked quite a few English mixtures that were not as good and cost far more.

Proper English is good, but not great.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Why do Northern Europeans, who are great cigar smokers, so fear Latakia?

(And why do Italians, who invented pastry, love it?? Latakia, I mean.)

"The most Latakia" that a Danish blender profers is not, dear friends, much Latakia at all. The use of the condimental Turkish stuff is pretty timid too. The result is an amiable, by-the-numbers English that might seem like the Big Bad Wolf out on the Tivoli gardens, but can only cause Nightcap aficionados to smile.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I generally smoke heavy Latakia blends. I saw this at a local tobacco store and I had the clerk pop the lid. the smokiness of the Latakia marched out of the jar , strong and proud. Proper English blend is just that -- a balanced and proper English blend. I smoked it in a very clean Savenelli pipe and thoroughly enjoyed the tantalizing smell and taste. This is a contemplative and comfortable smoke for a mature and experienced English bend smoker.

Pipe Used: Savenelli

Age When Smoked: News

Purchased From: Indian Traders Gran Rapids MI

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My knowledge is very limited as I have only tried a limited number of tobaccos other than store brands, but I found Proper English to have too much Lat in it. Kind of harsh for my tastes.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (6)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great English blend. Burns nicely all away down the bowl. Great flavor. If you like English blends, you should give it a try, it is a great value as well. Strong Latakia taste intertwined with Orientals with back notes of Virginias.

Similar Blends: GL Pease Westminster, Drew Estate - Meat Pie, Balkan Sasieni - Balkan Sasieni.

A decent English that I enjoy when I want something milder than my usual heavier blends.

Elipuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elipuff (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I am fairly new to pipe smoking and have been looking for that specific taste I want and I have to say that PS Proper English is just the perfect smoke I have been looking for. This is the first English blend I have ever tried and I am satisfied to the point that I don't really need to buy a whole bunch of different ones because Its that good and the price cannot be beaten. This suits the taste that I have been looking for. What I like is the taste, I guess it is the Latakia that I really like, it seems to dominate the rest of the other tobaccos that are mixed in which I like.

When I first opened the bag I immediately smelled it and I just knew that I would love this stuff. Why? because the smell reminded me of Bruton or Rooster Scotch snuff which I use to love and use before.

I would say that If you are new to pipe smoking and you previously used to chew something like " Grizzly Straight " or if you used nasal snuff and like scotch " Bruton, Rooster or W.E Garrett this PS Proper English would probably suit your taste. It did for me.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great, affordable, English/Latakia blend for the money. The price is right on when purchased in bulk. I love English blends but also smoke a lot of flake and some non-English and aromatic blends. I could smoke it every day and did for a while. I have been smoking the Ashton Artisan's Blend, Davidoff English (blue tin) and Ashton Consummate Gentleman as of late, but I do work this blend in a few times a week. I would give this blend four stars if they could get some better quality virginias in it. Of course, the price would most likely go up. So, for the price, it is a good blend. I have a pipe dedicated to it - although, I have used that pipe to smoke some other English blends as of late. I will be ordering some more soon, as I am getting low. I will be smoking it daily again...

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (56)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this stuff most of the time. I cannot give it 4 stars because one batch was very different from the others I have purchased. The stuff I love is rich, sweet, smoky, with a hint of spice in the background from the orientals I would guess. However, as I said one order came in and it was bitter, and would bite quickly. I am not sure if it is a quality control issue or not but an issue nonetheless.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)

Ok so full disclosure I am not a huge fan of latakia but I'm trying to get into it. I feel as much as many like it perhaps I am missing out.

As for this blend all I taste is latakia, its overpowering. I could smell it as soon as I picked up the box it was mailed in.

starlight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
starlight (3)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This pungent, delicous baccy is the perfect antidote to EMPs 'bite' (for me, at least), as I mix it 50:50, the strength of EMP counters the mildness too, for a very flavourful puff!

The delectable pungency of the baccy is simply adorable!

And it smokes well too. If you like a very flavourful English blend, get a nosebag full of this - you won't be disappointed.

Along with a goodly supply of EMP, I'd definitely take this one to my desert island - and that would cover my 'English' blend!

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my first English blend. I'm not sure what it is about this but I like it.

The flavor is OK, but nothing to write home about in my book, but I keep finding a craving for it about every other day. Going to get more of this when it's in stock.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a good little, no frills English blend. Though it is Stokkebeyes heaviest English, in terms of Latakia content, I would call it a medium english. It is in no way a latakia bomb at all. It is a fairly simple smoke. All the components are there and blend nicely, but it isn't too terribly complex.

I think it would be a good first English and I recommend to all!

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (10)

Though not a particularly complex smoke, I find it to be a good smooth smoke with a smokey, "velvet" quality to its taste. Latakia-prominent, though the oriental and virginia tobaccos are noticeable. Unlike some reviewers, I find its smooth, smokey taste present throughout the bowl. Certainly, for the price,if you're looking for a consistently good English blend, can't go wrong with this one.

LifeOfRiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LifeOfRiley (11)

This is a solid, no-frills straightforward English. The pouch aroma is unusually strong, but the flavor seems fairly typical. Spicy, with some leathery notes. Fine all around.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

My first venture into heavier latakia blends, although from comparing reviews it seems there are certainly some much more flavorful and stronger (vit N) latakia blends out there. Taken on its own merits, this one is very pleasurable to smoke and gives off a nice campfire smokiness, tempered somewhat by the oriental/balkan tobaccos present. The Virginias participate very little to my taste, perhaps adding a slight sweet finish. I don't get much nicotine from this.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

Proper English lights easy and burns well. Not the beat English I've tried, but not at all bad for the price. I had no problem with it losing it's flavor as other reviewers had, maybe because I smoke a vintage 70's meer exclusively? Good quality tobacco from P.S. as usual. I wish these guys who throw away their tobacco would mail it to me!I'll pay for the postage!

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As the weather drops down here it's time to break out the Latakia and Oriental blends a bit more often. I have puffed on Proper English here and there throughout the summer but plan on hitting it in earnest now. I find P.E. smokes like a p.e. should with a rich woody taste that brings open campfires, old books, and fine leather boots to mind. That is until about midway through the bowl. Like a switch flipped off, P.E. loses its flavor to the ash. Maybe I just need to spend time and figure out how this blend needs to be smoked. I love Stokkebye tobaccos and say this is worth the price I paid for it. Not the best "English" blend I've ever came across, but it's all about the hunt, no?

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)

There are so-called one-dimensional tobaccos one might enjoy, but Stokkebye's Proper English approaches un-dimentionality, contrary to the expectation one gets from reading some of the other reviews here. One is amid much smoke, nearly all of which is tasteless, a warm, dry nothingness.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)

Well, this started out quite nice and tasty, but about halfway down the bowl it simply turned ashy and smokey, even though I had plenty of tobacco left. Not entirely sure if it was merely technique, but that's never happened before. On the plus side, it light up perfectly with one match and never once needed a relight.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

A good English blend without the spice of Perique. It's as good an English as any I have smoked....perhaps Squadron Leader is a touch tastier, but not by much.

Came a wee bit on the dry side. Lights easily, stays lit if you're paying attention to your pipe and does not bite, though there is a bit of spice from the orientals but not annoying.

I like to mix this with Balkan Supreme, because as far as I'm concerned, Balkan Supreme needs all the help it can get.

Combined, Proper Supreme is a fine smoke. On its own, Proper English is equally a fine smoke.

Well worth buying!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this blend. It reminds me of P.S. Luxury English blend but with a bit more Latakia and Orientals. I noticed hints of citrus from time to time. Good blend. I am still in search of a heavier Latakia blend though.

Tasty! Highly recommended.

OldManRichard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldManRichard (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

SIMPLY AMAZING!

Packs good, Smokes great

So far this is my favorite tobacco due to its taste(during and after) and how wonderfull it consistantly smokes.

Not harsh, hot, or wet

Best of all is the amazing price for bulk.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)

Going to keep this short and sweet:

Proper English is a very good tobacco. Balkan Supreme is an excellent tobacco.

Hence my strong preference for Balkan Supreme.

I have found that Proper English did take about 8 of 10 bowls for me to really appreciate it. It seems to be a bit of a creeper, not love at first sight. Kind of like that girl down the street.

Your mileage may vary.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Proper English is a good solid English blend. Nice taste. Nice aroma. It's not going to put Pease out of business or be confused with something like Artisan's Blend.

But it's probably as good or better than most of the other offerings on the market.

It's exceptionally smokable and highly enjoyable. For the price it's a great staple for anyone's rotation.

If it was a steak it would be a sirloin not a filet. But a sirloin done the right way is a damned good steak.

I'd suggest everyone with a taste for English blends try PE. You might fall in love and save yourself a great deal of money in the process.

By the way a not to the prior reviewer. Stokkebye does indeed make a Balkan. Aptly named Balkan Supreme. Very well received. Try it you'll like it.

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I got an interesting flavor profile off of this one. On my first light I could swear I tasted something like burley, and then as the bowl progressed I got into the more Lat flavorings and spice. A hint of sweetness that was either the Orientals or the VA's, but for the most part the Latakia is the Diva and the show-stealer. It takes center stage quickly and only lets the others have a few words in edgewise until it takes it back again. If this is a lat bomb, sign me up, because I'm enjoying this thank you very much.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

For the price this may be good, but there are so many full English blends out there that are better balanced in terms of flavor I cannot see my self buying more of this. I would rather spend the extra money on a tin of GLP Odyssey and get something that actually has complexity to it.

The latakia simply overwhelms all the other flavors so that after the initial light (when I can detect the fine perfumed Orientals) all I taste is salt and leather. Smoked in the evening, I can taste this the next day until noon even with 3 teeth brushings in the mean time. Not my cup of tea.

Bump this up one star if you like lat-bombs and you are on a real tight budget.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is some powerful stuff. 'Proper English' may be somewhat of a misnomer. This is not a particularly sophisticated blend of tobacco though it is well balanced and not one dimensional at all. In fact it is rather uncouth, 'countrified' if you will. But it is very very good. High powered sour mash as compared to a single malt Scotch. Hearty, not delicate.

I didn't notice anyone else mention this but I tasted a tanginess when smoking this that I don't usually find in an English blend. Some cellaring may take that out of it. I put up half of what I got in a Mason jar and kept the rest out for smoking now. When I've smoked all of what I have out I'll see if what's in the jar has smoothed out some. I expect it will have. If it doesn't I won't complain. This is a very tasty, and very full blend of tobaccos that I can easily live with just as it is.

It's easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit, doesn't produce a gurgle or goop in the pipe. It will bite if smoked to forcibly, and it is not what I'd consider an 'inside' smoke.

Probably because of the Virginias, the tanginess fades into a gentle sweetness as the smoke progresses. And I thought the bottom of the bowl tastes better than the top. In fact, it is almost like having two blends in the pipe; a harsher, bull-headed, blend at the top that becomes more easy going as it is smoked.

I'd rate this tobacco high at any price, but at the price it sells for it's an unbeatable value.

camachoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camachoman (6)

Although with this blends make-up, maybe a more proper comparison would be to SG Squadron Leader, but with it's heavy latakia content, I find Proper English to be similar to Commonwealh Mixture. Neither are very complex, but between the two, PE has a bit more depth (assuming it's due to the oriental). I love both blends, and although Sam Gawith brands are relatively inexpensive, PE is an exeptional bargain!

Comparisons aside, Proper English can definately stand on its own as outstanding English blend. A new staple in my rotation, and plenty more will be added to my cellar!

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I guess I am just prone to have a slightly different expectation of what I think a good "English" is for me. Of the three PS English blends I have tried thus far (this plus English Oriental Supreme and English Luxury), this one comes the closest to those expectations. In other words, I like this the best. Close but not on target, however. May the folks who truly appreciate this continue in their enjoyment. I am beginning to suspect that just as we often read the term "American-English", the PS offerings could be called "Euro-English". Neither being what (despite the name appropriation here by Stokkebye)"proper" English. All PS English taste of a sweetness different from what I grew up encountering in my Dunhill blends. (The American-English miss the mark for me in creaminess, mellowness.)Proper English gives this same odd sweet taste to me, albeit less so than the other two PS I have tried. Perhaps my age has something to do with this. I have never tried any Orlick tinned Dunhill and I quit the Dunhills after sampling MM#965 from Orlick in bulk. Hence, many who liken these blends to MM#965 may actually find them close to what their experience tastes like if they've become accustomed to Orlik's 965 and/or other Dunhills or PS blends. Frankly, for me several McClellands and Cornell and Diehls taste more authentic. I would rate Proper English less "proper" in comparison to C&D's Stratfordshire which does give me (albeit momentarily) wisps of the old flavors and textures I miss so much. My general impressions are: if left on a desert island with my pipe and this alone, I would smoke it while dreaming of my favorite blends. I do like the Latakia in Proper better than what comes through in the other two PS blends, but not enough to repurchase Proper if other blends are available.

Update - 03/08/2014 I purchased several ounces of this while out of town and what I got has definitely changed for the better. I am not sure if the corporate changes with the blender had anything to do with this but the cut on this blend is now a quality ribbon and the Latakia is still a bit edgy, it is far superior to what I reviewed before. That was pure coal smoke.

I also found this remarkably similar to Balkan Sasieni - current production. I had also bought a tin of BS at the same time and smoked these two in alternating sequence. Frankly the difference, if there is any, might just be an artifact of the tinned product catching some aging. Both are now STG, are they not? Hmm....

Bumping this to three stars.

Similar Blends: Balkan Sasieni.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco. It has a good amount of latakia and orientals in it. Nice smoky-ness to the smoke, this is also my first experience with orientals, and I love them. This is the 2nd english blend I tried and it made me fall in love with them all over again, as my first blend did. Like english tobaccos? Give this a shot! Stokkebye's strongest, and best, latakia blend.

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I find this a very satisifying smoke, I have a 3 tobacco rotation thru the day, and I always time for this, usually in the evening. It's a great last smoke of the day on the back deck in the summer and the price at Mars Cigars can't be beat. Highly recommended.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's really not that bad for the price, but not something i'd buy again. I enjoyed for a little while but then, after smoking Balkan Supreme this stuff just doesn't quite cut it. It's one dimensional and can get boring.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Very "Proper" as well as very "English". A little moist for this smoker's taste at first, but about an hour at room humidity brought it within the preferred range. Smoooooooth, if that is what being part of the Danish variety brings, then well brought.

Not a Latakia powerhouse, but no wimp either. Balanced and easy smoking. LIt it ONCE, that's right one light, and it performed like a champ all the way to the end. Love the variety of spice against Virginia, off the smokey Latakia. Variety is the spice of life and this was different without being abnormal.

Tantric hit it with their review; this requires little smoker attention, just puff, sip and enjoy. Great value and well worth a sample to try. A good diversion from the PS Balkan Supreme as well as complimentary to it.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Above-average English, but it?s very dry and rather unflavored. A good smoker for someone who?s addicted to nicotine, but not for someone who?s interested in flavors. B.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Bought this from a local B&M a while back, and assumed it was one of their house blends. Liked it so much I went back today and bought 1/2 pound. Imagine my surprise when the clerk brought out the gold foil PS bag!! This has become my "go to" English blend. While I still like the various Dunhill (no matter who's blending 'em, I don't have enough backgroud to miss the original versions) blends, I find this to be extremely smooth and satisfying, but with enough richness and complexity to keep me from becoming bored with it. Truly, if you like English blends, especially with a lot of latakia, you owe it to yourself to try this tobacco!

zierro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zierro (11)

A very pleasant blend that offers a high quality smoke at a very good price. All three tobaccos make their presence known, with none outdoing the others. Easily, an everyday smoke, and one worth cellaring. If you like an English blend, try it.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

Another great blend from Stokkebye. Both my wife and I agree that there is definitely a woodsy, campfire type of aroma about it. A great price for the quality of the blend. A nice white ash appeared at the end of a number of smokes. Will definitely keep some on hand. This is not quite as powerful a blend as English Luxury, but in itself a very good tobacco.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

4 stars from me. MMmm! I love this tobacco. I find it has everything I like but not too much of it. It is stronger but not overwhelming. I think the room note is very tolerable but have seen a few people cringe a bit. My kids don't find it appealing either. I smoke this daily now. I searched for a tobacco that was just right for me, this is it. I like several others too, this is just me. It smokes to a fine ash without much effort. I like this in a mid to upper sized bowl, 3-5, for after a good meal. Several people mentioned the pouch aroma is a bit like Smoked Salmon, I like the smokey smell and the taste is even better.

rdwilliamsjr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rdwilliamsjr (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I've been smoking for about a year now and this is the blend that got me out of the beginner aromatics. I've tried a lot of blends and this one just the right amount of latakia to not be overwhelming.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

I enjoy heavier English (and Balkan) blends and this fits right in my favorite zone. In my way of thinking [taste] Proper English is more of a medium to heavy English and it's brother, Balkan Supreme, has a flavor profile that is more a medium Balkan. These two blends provide plenty of variety for me.

The blend is a fine string cut of mostly dark leaf. The flavor is Latakia (Cyprian) forward along with the VA, the Orientals fill out the rest of the blend. Tasty and satisfying, the price can't be beat either. 9 out of 10 stars.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)

This is a tasty, medium-to-full English blend, superbly crafted by the Danish master, Stokkebye. Pleasantly sweet Virginias, smokey Latakia, and not-too-spicey Orientals (a plus in my book) that both temper the Latakia and add a dimension of their own. Consistenly flavorful. This blend compares very favorably to pricier versions. A satisfying, cool-burning, all-day or evening smoke that is well worth adding to your cellar. One of my favorite evening smokes.

Jake696 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jake696 (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I like Balkans and latakia. I don't smoke anything anymore w/o latakia in it and found this blend quite compatable. I also let my tobacco dry out fairly well before smoking it. I've gone through a 4 oz. jar of this blend that I've had sitting around a couple of months. It got better toward the end, as I put the last 2 ozs. in a pouch to take on vacation with me.

I've not had a bad bowl of it, no matter if it was in a large freehand Knute, group 5 Dunhill Shell or small Stanwell. I've been smoking a rotation of: Squadron Leader, Nightcap and Proper English for the last week. Given my choice of the three...this one is the one I want on that deserted island with me, if I only get one baccy to take!

Good latakia taste, not too strong and no bite for me...the price is right and I'll be buying more!

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (22)

For a Danish blender this is one blend that does not have a Danish signature that I expect to find in most of their blends. This is English that is as advertised, loaded with Latakia. My last batch of bulk was not mixed well and came with a lot of clumps of Latakia, easy enough to remedy. The smell of the blend is as expected; musty Latakia. Moisture content was excellent right out of the bag. As an English, I find this to fill all the requirements of an English, however the Latakia is either a little too high a percentage of the mix, the Virginia seems too light or is overwhelmed by the Latakia, likewise with the Oriental. This is typically a road tobacco for me, I?ll fill a pouch with this and smoke it through the day while on my rounds. The tobacco I find smokes best in medium sized pipes, I have had no bite from this blend. It?s a Latakia blend that produces abundant smoke. The taste I find to be musty and a little astringent at times. Burns down to a coarse dark gray and black speckled ash.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Going to have to disagree with my fellow pipers on this one, I find this blend to be a great change of pace from most english blends I have tried, although it IS heavily laden with Latakia (which I love) It is in no way a Night Cap/EMP/965 wannabe, and has a flavor all its own, yet unmistakably English. To try and describe its flavor..salted leather and anise, that is realized best (by me) when exhaled through the nose. When I rated the room note as pleasant, I wasnt using the wife scale, I personally like the room note (it dont stink if you like that smell), however the wife hates the heavy Latakia and turns the kitchen exhaust fan up to super noisey smoke suck mode. I can smoke it fast, slow, cool or hot and it never gets harsh tasting and never burns the tongue. Though I enjoy the previous mentioned Dunhill blends. Proper English is a great all day smoke for the heavy Latakia lover,even if its not a crowd pleaser, but who do you smoke for?

I will never let myself run out,3 stars yummy.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I found this in bulk at my local tobacconist, as I very much enjoy latakia blends I thought I would give this a try. In the pouch it smells like pure latakia, and once it was lit, it was rather one dimensional. Somewhere between Early Morning Pipe and 965.

Not nearly as spicy or as strong as 965, but quite a step up from EMP. Recommended for those who want a daily latakia smoke that you can smoke and forget; which is not, what I usually smoke English blends for.

Aluminio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aluminio (5)

Really not latakia ladden, still within the realm of tasty english mixtures. Orientals lead the way and virginias come right behind, sometimes changing places. Sweet and interesting, simple at first puffing and increasingly complex afterwards, just as in Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme but with an extra dimension borrowed from some discretely applied cyprian latakia. I love to smoke this one the whole day, but it comes to a price: it bites after the 5th bowl. I cannot think of anything bad to say about this mixture. It carries first class tobacco, burns and packs fine, even the light topping is unconsecuencial. It contains no bad note in any sense. The only thing I woud ask is a small addition of syrian latakia, for this is the strongest mix latakiawise PS offers. There are many "elder" english blends which are better in some way, richer or cooler or smokier at least, but would not appeal for a continuous smoking like this one does.

A very nice finding. A powerfull everyday smoke.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The description says "The most Latakia of any blend we make..."

If you love Latakia, don't let this statement mislead you. This is in no way a 'full' English blend. Pretty mild, really. Is that bad? No. Sometimes I feel like something lighter. Proper English can fill that bill nicely. The Oriental is pretty mild too.

My "Proper English" was a bit damp for my taste, but a short time exposed to the air took care of that. It packed well, lit well, and burned well. Room note reminds me of a campfire - just what I expect from a light to medium English.

This is available in bulk, but don't classify it a a 'bulk blend' in a derogatory fashion. This is actually pretty good tobacco.

New to English blends? Want a break from the heavy stuff? Give Proper English a shot. I'm betting you won't be sorry.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been my daily smoke for last two weeks, great out door smoke. like in my bigger bowls, all the way to the bottom.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Update - I'm going to upgrade Proper English to its rightful place. 4 of 4 I'm reaching for this more and more and find myself craving it. It's never boring or flat and behaves very well when treated nicely. I'm wondering if they forgot to mention in their description that there is a pinch of perique in this blend? My taste buds tell me yes.

It leaves a wonderful room note and handles very well. Sometimes I open the jar just to get a whiff. This is a delightful Medium strength blend that is very consistent and I truly enjoy some daily. Even the consistency of the fine cut with some mixed ribbon is very easy to pack and nice to handle. (I know that is not the criteria for the rating but it is a definite endorsement.) -VC

===

18 Oct 05 This was my first visit back to PB blends in quite a while. I'm not impressed with the line in general ... however ... this is good stuff. It is tasty Englishy blend. There's some Latikia but not so much as you may gather from the company's description - noted by other reviewers. Nonetheless, this is a very nice smoke. While I love strong tobaccos, this is one of those that I will reach for when I want a mild English. I find the room note to be very pleasant. I detect a dash of the old vanilla and fig that rounds off the pleasant note. It smokes cool, packs easily and the moisture of the bulk was perfect. The moisture consistency may be a natural result of a little PG. Of this I am not sure, but, I find this to be good, reasonably priced, cool, dry smoking and tasty enough. I think it's a fine blend. It could very well be an all day smoke.

Cheers, VC

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For the aromatic lover that I am, this is not a bad addition to my rotation. It is an inoffensive, modest English blend, and an acceptable change of pace for me. If you're new to Latakia, or are afraid of them, this is a good place to start. I smoke this blend on occasion. It's not terribly heavy like many English blends, but it's what you would expect from a Danish manufacturer. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but isn't bad when you want a slight change of pace from PS's usual offerings.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

In a brief moment of clarity amidst my current Virginia flake reverie, I happened to notice that I was out of anything even remotely resembling an English blend. The sudden latakia craving that followed had me ordering a couple new latakia-laden tins and 8oz. of Nightcap, but what to do in the meantime? 2nd Day Airmail is just that, so I went down to the local tobacconist and grabbed an ounce of the most latakia-heavy bulk blend I could find, which happened to be Proper English. Oh what a cruel tease this stuff is. It's not horrible, but it tastes like a dried-out dirty sock compared to the tobaccos I have sitting in a UPS freighter somewhere...

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I find this tobacco a little too bland for my taste, though it is for sure a good quality one. The flavour is pungent but it really lacks some kick, and I could taste a light casing but couldn't identify it. It can be one of the tobaccos good to be smoked during summer for its freshness and dry-smoking quality, but after that I always want to go back to some serious latakia blend.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

I was quite satisfied with the first 2oz sample I received of this blend. I have come back for more on a few occasions and find that it improves upon aging in my bulk jar. The longer I keep on hand, the more tanginess I can taste from the Orientals & Latakia. A local tobacco shop offers this PS blend by the name of Euphoria. It took a while for me to warm up to this blend, which was recommended to me; but after about 5 - 7 bowls, I must say I did indeed feel quite euphoric. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got a little extra taste in it resembling that of French bread in the midst of the typical Balkan flavor. It's just a hint, but it's enough to make it stand out. Balkan fans: give this one a try. It's no Dunhill London Mixture, but worth your time nonetheless.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I was introduced to this special tobacco at Uhle?s, Milwaukee, by the helpful and enthusiastic people behind the counter. They keep it cellared in a golden foil perma moist pouch behind the counter. It's labelled PS 52. I was told that this is the same recipe of the Balkan Sobranie. Since I never tried that mixture but only have read about it, I thought ?why not?? This is a fine blend, and if Sobranie was really this good, then I?m glad I?ve had an opportunity to try a manifestation of it. The cut is dark and stringy. Packing qualities are good. The aroma is full and the taste rich in orientals and sweet spice. It?s not as balanced, round and complete as Balkan Sasieni, and it lacks its perfect finish, but it is an excellent choice for the oriental tobacco lover. Caution: be careful how you puff because this does have a cumulative tongue burning effect. If you can find some at your local tobacconist, give this one a try. A quality blend such as PS 52 certainly does not deserve all the thrashing it gets in these reviews.

Four of five stars

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

I began smoking this shortly after finishing a couple of ounces of Stokkebye?s English Luxury, a blend I think very highly of, and thus the Proper English found itself living in its brother?s shadow. Not nearly as smooth and tasty as English Luxury, Proper English also has much more of a tendency to bite. A perfectly fine bulk option, but there are many superior bulk English blends, even within the Stokkebye line, so I?m not going to rush out and stock up on Proper English. In many ways, this blend reminded me of Paul Olsen?s My Own Blend 7000 and of Butera?s Pelican, which are very nice blends but also have a tendency to bite.

I smoke this when out of the good stuff. Considering the price, it is at least three stars. If you smoke a lot of this in one sitting the value aspect wears a bit thin. Very good blend when smoked occasionally, downgrade to two stars if you smoke it too many times in one day!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

This is a good effort by a Danish company to produce an English blend, so I will give them an A for effort, but only a C+ for execution.

The blend is a fine cut ribbon, with a fairly high percentage of dark lead. The aroma that is of a medium english/oriental blend. Moisture level is OK for a bulk blend, but the tobacco stays mopist for a very long time; ergo must contain PG.

The flavor is typical of many similar tobaccos found in bulk in B&M stores, some Latakia, some Turkish, but just not exciting. There are too many great English blends out on the market to waste time and money on a mediocre one.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

There was nothing in this blend that will have me coming back. I tried the bulk form of it. It comes in a fine ribbon cut with some long strings that make it a little messy when packing. The moisture was at the proper level. It easily burned hot, so you have to watch it. The flavor was too bland for me. Not enough of anything, especially of latakia. I tried a pound of it before reviewing and I have to say that even though it was reasonably priced, I would rather spend twice the amount for something with more flavor and complexity, and more latakia. Sorry.....