NONE PROVIDED

BrandThe Tobacco Shop LLC
Blended ByJim DeLisle
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Strong
Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Last week I stopped by my favorite tobacco shop to purchase a new pipe. Jim, who owns The Tobacco Shop, LLC, has worked with his father there all his life. I knew his Dad because I have been a patron since 1969. Today I wanted to look at the new Parker line that arrived recently. It didn't take long to choose a sandblast Jockey Club and then it was time to stock up on some house blends that Jim and his father have been brewing for over 80 years. I knew he was an avid pipe smoker and has tried many blends. This is when I finally asked Jim what he smoked..."Back Room". Visual inspection reveales a coarse cut comprised mostly of dark red Virginias, Latakia and a small dose of blond leaf. The tin aroma is of a well aged Bordeaux wine with just a hint of fresh baked bread indicating high quality aged tobacco. Pease's Haddo's Delight comes to mind, only Back Room has a deeper, more potent aroma. I knew I was in for a pipe smokers banquet, a veritable feast for the Epicurean senses. Packing is very easy, and the pre-light draw is enjoyable in itself. With the touch of a match the adventure began. The initial smoke produced mid-range to low notes. Then as I smoked the bowl down the flavors mingled in a brooding contemplate manner with an occasional excursion into the Balkans, but with an ever present underlying theme of sweet caramel notes performed by a full chorus of mature Virginias. Even the most vigorous puffing did not produce any harshness nor tongue bite, yet the flavors remained rich and deep. What I find remarkable is that this blend achieves great strength yet it remains quite smooth to the very bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended for the seasoned smoker who enjoys complex and full flavored blends.

Note:Available from The Tobacco Shop, email:tobshp@snet.net