Iwan Ries

This selection of blended Burley and Virginias offers a mild and creamy smoke from a medium density flake. With an added essence, the pipe smoker who derives pleasure from an easy to rub out flake will certainly enjoy Kendal Cream Flake.

BrandSamuel Gawith

2.9
Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Even when I don't really like a Gawith blend, I am always impressed. That's the case here.

KCF (not to be confused with KFC) is a well made, idiosyncratic blend. The flavor is so distinctive, in fact, that reviews are not so useful: it's a real love-it-or-hate-it blend. The most useful thing I can say is that it's a quality leaf and worth trying.

In the tin it smells like a significantly milder version of Bracken Flake. In the bowl, the difference is more pronounced. The topping is indeed milder than BF, but the leaf is lighter and the burley gives a nutty sweetness (just as it should). That said, I found the topping heavier than some other reviewers. In the end, Kendal Cream is a Lakeland, that is to say, an aromatic: a VA/Burley with that distinctive Gawith "essence" (tonquin?) and a dollop of vanilla. On the bright side it is sweet, full, creamy, but never monochromatic; the added flavors never overwhelm the tobacco. On the downside it gives me a headache, and the flavor is one that I never find myself craving. Neither fish nor fowl, perhaps. Don't buy it if you are after a good Virginia/Burley. Do buy it if you want to experiment with Lakelands, or are exploring quality aromatics, or like vanilla, or just want something new and unexpected.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

Smoked this in the tin first and then found that I could get it in bulk so I ordered a pound. What a difference between the tin and bulk. WOW.. the aroma was sweet like a Holiday Fruit cake, my wife gave it a wiff and said it made her hungry. Eager to smoke it, broke some up and packed my favorite Von Erck and puffed away. FANTASTIC from beginning to end. So glad that I found it in bulk, so much smoother and fuller than the tin. Full body, smooth and flavorful with tons of character. It is so good to know that there are still great blends to be smoked when other companies are folding. This will be my daily smoke and believe it or not the price was not as bad as I thought. SG keep it coming. I highly recomend this blend to anyone who like a good steady smoke.

EDIT: A few days into this pound of Kendel Cream and I have discovered something very strange. Some of you may even think that I am off my rocker. But, this blend has a 'whisky' taste a few days in. It reminds me of the 'drug store' tobacco that gramps used to smoke. Much more refined and full, but that tone of whiskey is present for me.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What do you get when you mix a stoved VA/Burley flake with Glade air-freshener? This stuff.

Seriously, this is a high-quality flake made in the traditional fashion. I just could not take the flowery perfume that was added. The "aromatic" portion detracted from the tobacco.

I guess I am not suited for Lakeland style tobaccos.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like lots of other SG virginia blend flakes, this one also took its place in my forever favorites list.

I don't realy know what essence they have added in this but this mild addition made a great combination with virginia-burley strength. SG used again a very fine recipe for preparing this true pipe tobacco.

Must be dried for easy lighting and full taste. I dried it to crispy and one light was enough for the whole bowl. The strength is not overhelming but it makes me to be saturated.

Virginia blend lovers, please do not miss this one!

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is realy good stuff...SG knows how to use virginia...Virginia and burley mix sweet, creamy and a true pleasure ...

Too wet in the tin but dry fast...Burns slowly and nicotine level is very good for me...If you like nicotine and creamy taste use this stuff...Now best SG for me...I ll smoke everyday one bowl...

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really enjoyed my time with this one. I would say if I could not get Irish Flake that this would come closest to satisfying that itch for me. I am not saying that they are very much a like. The toppings are very different, but it satisfies me in the same way as IF does. Perhaps it is in the body of the smoke, both offer a fulfilling burley backdrop.

They are they typical flake presentation from SG. The flakes are very moist upon opening necessitating a good drying before it is smokable. Once dried, I had no problem smoking this at all. There is a topping, but it is not an over the top soapy taste. I found it rather enjoyable and tasty. This is a lot like Best Brown #2 by GH & Co., but I think I enjoy this a bit more. It is nothing like 1792 which is a plus for me as I despised that one.

I will most likely buy this one again. It is not earth shattering enough to warrant four stars, but it easily gets three from me.

Purchased From: local B & M

Similar Blends: BB#2, Irish Flake.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

KCDF is a dark, moist flake with an aroma suggesting a lengthy fermentation. I am not picking up the Lakeland essence in the tin. It is an attractive flake, but not with the precision of the F&T CVP. What does F&T do with their trimmings? It looks like SG adds some loose stuff in the tin, or maybe it gets jostled in transit and breaks up.

It rubs out, sort of. I don't dry it because it lights up and burns dry and cool. It clings to the bowl when burned, but that maybe related to the blend that preceded it. It is smooth, though I am not sure I would call it creamy. It is sturdy, and the nicotine rings in my ears a little. It starts with subtle sweetness and floral essence, and becomes earthy, leathery, and woody as it progresses. The Lakeland essence does not disappear, but persists mildly in its floral and tonquin qualities.

I think the Warrior Plug comparison made by hagen is on target. It is similar, too, to the Yachtsman Plug, though not as sweet. The Burley/VA ratio is weighted more to the Burley here, and then there is the Lakeland essence.

Folks who may be wary of the essence may find this one acceptable. This is foremost a great VA/Burley blend.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing KCF to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

Croaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Croaker (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Kendal Cream Flake is a typical SG flake that needs to be dried out. After quite a bit of experimenting I fully rub-out SG's flakes; to be fair I never tried the fold-and-stuff approach with this flake. Like most SG flakes this one has some burning difficulties: it typically requires re-lights and seldom burns to a fine ash. Indeed, Kendal may actually require a bit more attention than others. I get a mild Burley-Virginia tobacco taste with a pleasant mild flavoring. I think the flavoring is liquorish. Regardless, the flavoring is subtle enough so as to augment the tobacco and not overwhelm: I certainly don?t consider this an aromatic blend. This tobacco will produce nice nicotine bearing clouds of pleasant smelling smoke without bighting the tongue. Ultimately, Kendal Cream Flake is a pleasant though forgettable smoke. I?ll only give this two stars as it didn?t really distinguish itself. I don?t think I?ll buy any more. I would recommend Stonehaven as a similar and superior blend.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My Yummy-meter raced into the red after a bowl of this stuff. Different, distinctive and pleasant. I prefer my tobacco with a lot of strength and a little flavoring and Kendall Cream Flake ran the bases.

Without question, this one needs to sit in the open air for 2-3 hours before being consumed. It was very moist out of the tin but dried quickly. The strength is not overpowering but will make its presence known quickly. The flavoring is unique, creamy and unlike the typical "Lakeland Floral" that seems to be off putting to some.

Finally, this tobacco provides a lot of smoke and stays lit easily once dried. I'll keep a tin of Kendall Cream Flake opened and at the ready every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, this is a VA, Burley blend of the Lakeland variety. Unfortunately, in the tin, it is a stickey, not-easily-rubbed-out flake with a keen nicotine hit. Grousemoor is one of my favorites and does everything this flake would ever hope to do. Plus, Grousemoor is ready-rubbed and smokeable from the start. Don't smoke Kendall Cream Flake as your first SG floral belnd, else you might swear off the brand. Try Grousemoor first, and if it sits well with you, then experiment with Kendall Cream flake. Drying required!

Two stars of four. **

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: Smoked several batches in several pipes; I found it best in a old Charatan I have dedicated for Lakeland blends. It is rather scented, so you may want to consider a dedicated pipe.

Appearance: Reddish to dark brown densely pressed 6" flake.

Aroma: Strong scent of perfume (a la Chanel No. 5), honey, mead, pink roses, ripe plum, benzoin spirit gum.

Taste: Mildly perfumed, enough to allow the flavor of the tobacco to come through rather well. The tobacco flavor is round and shows a quality Virginia leaf, as is typical of Samuel Gawith's offerings. More on the nutty side, with a little acidic quality that may diminish with age. The palate is dominated, nevertheless by the casing, which provides the flavor of rose petals, crystallized violets, geranium buds, amber, and lime.

Comparisons: Each of the Lakeland blends is similar in that they are all perfumed blends; each has its own unique scent however. This is less citrus and berries than Danish blends or Royal Yacht. Less deep and nutty than Coniston or 1792. More a "Turkish bazaar" sort of flake, I would say.

Bottom Line: For those who enjoy the scented Lakeland flakes, and enjoy a medium bodied Oriental sort of flavor, this may be a winner.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Although I appreciate what Gawith has done with this blend, it's not going to be a regular smoke for me. As an aromatic, it's too full; as a burley blend, it's too hot; and as a an aromatic Virginia blend, well, it's too damn flavored. if you are looking for a very sweet, fairly strong blend, though, this is your puppy. Note that even though this blend has Burley in it, it still smokes best if you smoke it like a Virginia flake--slow sipping is the order of the day. Fast puffing leads to a flat, bitey smoke.

Sampling notes: I have smoked about two tins of this blend in both meerschaum and briar pipes in several sizes. I find this blend works very well in a smaller briar pipe, which concentrates the flavor and offers a very sweet taste. In a larger pipe, some of the uniqueness of the blend is lost. I don't find that this blend works well for me in a meerschaum. And, as others have mentioned, a loose pack works best. This blend smokes much better when it is has aried and dried considerably.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

revised 4.30.05

This is an interesting flake.

To me, it's like Stonehaven in body with an added topping that doesn't taste like any other "Lakeland" style cased flake.

Creamy....... I don't know what the flavoring is but it's sure Creamy! It reminds me of those WERTHERS brand toffe discs.

The tobacco underneath this topping is pretty full and to me this blend has none of those "soapy" attributes that so many dislike.

I find that after my initial enthusiasm, I am still reaching for my G&H blends more often than this. Kendal Cream Flake is a bit more "two dimensional" than the G&H offerings that I enjoy. My suspicion is that the burley in this blend lends to the flatness. Still a very good offering for those who like Stonehaven with a creamy topping.

The best way for me to describe this vs. Stonehaven is to say that Stonehaven is like good Espresso. straight up.

Kendal Cream Flake is good Espresso with heavy whipping cream and lots of sugar added.

Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Although the burning characteristics of this blend were much improved over the "mixture" of the same name from SG that I previously received in error and reviewed, I thought the taste was even more artificial and intense in this flake form. It did not infect my pipes as other aromatics have. This nicely prepared flake is truly creamy as advertised but I miss the natural tobacco taste. However it did get excellent reviews from all non-smokers regarding room aroma. Since most of my smoking is done for my pleasure, I won't have this or other aromatics in my normal rotation. If you enjoy them and also prefer flakes, you might like this blend.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Grousemoor light?

Kendall Cream is something more than that, but Grousemoor haters beware: The same floral essence is present here, albiet laid on with a somewhat lighter hand. Upon popping the tin, the infamous Grousemoor potpourri scent is immediately noticable, although it seems tipped a bit toward the fruity end of the spectrum. This is not the case upon lighting up, however. The flavoring tastes pretty much like Grousemoor, just less intense (and less intensely sweet).

The real story here is the tobacco itself. Unlike Grousemoor's light, all-Virginia ribbons, KC is a fairly dense flake of both medium-steamed VA and burley. The result is a smoke with more than a hint of Grouse-moor's flavoring, but considerably gutsier and fuller-bodied. And that, I'm guessing, is the cream of which the blend's name speaks.

Bottom line: If you like Grousmoor, give it a try. If you like scented/cased blends and are looking for high-quality tobaccos, give it a try. But if you hate the whole English floral/Sen-Sen thing, step to the left please.

And by all means do NOT confuse it with Kendall Plug!

Prior Wrath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prior Wrath (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of the most extraordinary flakes I've ever tried. Tin note brings a good café au lait to mind. First draws remind me of something nutty and dry, perhaps it's that Burley. I definitely taste some tonquin as well. Halfway down the bowl, all flavorings and burley tones die out, and wonderful Virginias start to shine and sing getting smoother and richer towards the end. N-vitamin levels are quite decent. Burns suspiciously cool and dry.

Nothing to add, nothing to complain about: 10/10

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

It was with great anticipation that I purchased this. Having sampled Gawith's fantastic snuff, I had high hopes that the fine craftwork put into their nasal tobacco would transfer across to the tin that now sat in front of me. Opening up said tin and taking a good, deep inhalation of aroma, I was more than pleasantly surprised by a strange soapy creaminess that possessed a very slight hint of something acerbic underneath, much like a beautiful summer's day with just a hint of storm in the dark rain clouds poking over the horizon.

Having got over my initial confusion of what "flake" actually meant as these strangely delicate "slabs" (for want of a better word) of tobacco peered out of the tin at me, I finally got round to rubbing one out and packing it into my weapon of choice and pulling the trigger. The soothing, creamy taste enraptured my senses and my soul like a Keira Knightly back rub after a particularly heavy triathlon. The pleasant room note merely added to an already perfect, if strangely delicate, smoke.

A surprising delicate yet flavoursome smoke, this is, for me, as perfect a smoke as can be had and a definitely a star player in my perfect Pipe Tobacco XI. Perhaps, my only word of warning is that it is quite a subtle, delicate tobacco, more Pele and less Vinnie Jones. So if you do prefer a stronger smoke, by all means try this, but it's not Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Pipes.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was rather disappointed by this flake. I truly enjoy FVF, BF and CF from Samuel Gawith. The added essence was definitively interesting and I was looking forward to start enjoying the flakes.

After 4 bowls, it came to me as being rather tasteless with a tendency to bite, even when smoked carefully. All I get is a nicotine hit, but flavor wise, not much. Too bad!

I will stick with the other offerings from this high quality tobacco house.

I will not rebuy KCF again. I did not even care to finish the tin.

lycus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lycus (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My first flake tobacco (I have since had two others, all by Samuel Gawith). It does have a certain creaminess to it, but the tobacco flavor is there and pleasant. The room note is wonderful and mild. I found that this particular blend has quite a bit of nicotine, which I don't mind, but it has got me craving the stuff so much that I've begun to use swedish snus to experience some nicotine in inclement weather or where I cannot smoke.

Slimstem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slimstem (5)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

After finding this very enjoyable & affordable smoke I'm not feeling so sad about the departure of Edgeworth R/R.

IMHO Kendle Cream is superior to that Lame Lane Limited offering.

It's good to know that a company like SG will probably be offering quality tobacco long after my last pipe as gone out.

This blend really shines around mid bowl, and as with most burly blends it taste better in a $10.00 cob than a $300.00 briar.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Kendall Cream Flake is obviously a quality flake that gives, as advertised, a creamy full smoke. But I found it lacking subtlety and depth, "two dimensional" as OSR put it. Plus, it was strange.

Once I realized what I was smoking it was way too sweet, floral and weirdly soapy for my taste buds. I say "once I realized" because it was hard for my senses to parse this tobacco. Indeed, my first few bowls of it I felt an odd disconnect between the flavor and the tobacco, that they were out of sync in some way: I was clearly smoking a quality tobacco, but tobacco doesn't taste like this: it was smooth and creamy and filled the mouth nicely, but where's that strange flavor coming from? Oh, is that the tobacco?! It actually took me a couple of bowls to realize that yes, that is the tobacco. (Though I disagree with the strength of the insult, I think BriarLaw is not incorrect when he likens it to a "mix" of "stoved VA/Burley flake with Glade air-freshener".)

Each time I smoked it I had to follow it soon after with a latakia heavy english blend just to get the taste out of my mouth. An odd smoke and I'm glad I tried it, but I'm sure I will never feel a need to go back to it.

Update 08/12: Never say never, eh? Years later, I felt a need to go back to it. Go figure. There's something about its unique flavor that has stayed with me all this time. So I just had to try it again. I'm not sorry I did.

It's still the quality flake I remember; but now that weird "glade air freshener" essence doesn't strike me as unpleasantly obtrusive, but kind of refreshing. I've upped it from two to three stars. KCF won't be a regular in my rotation, but it is one that I may revisit every so often.

LeGunnCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeGunnCat (18)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

After a disappointing engagement with 1792, I wanted to revisit Gawith to see if my initial experiences with them were a fluke, or if I truly enjoy any of their tobac.

I was pleased to find this was a much nicer experience then the 1792 flake. There is what I discover to be that soapiness experienced by other smokers in this blend, but it's not at all unpleasant, and stoking the pipe to large puffs of white smoke, brings out that delicious flavor I enjoy in 1792 without the nasty aftertaste.

To me this flake is recognizable as Gawith, strong, tasty with a wonderful je ne sais quoi that I have come to associate with Gawith. I like it. I especially enjoy getting this blend hot in the bowl and tasting the wonderful flavors produced. There's just something about the way Gawith handles Virgina tobac that draws me to their blends. There's a flavor in this that reminds me of aged beef or cheese. A very rich blend.

Recommended. (3 stars)

Update 3.11.08 I have been smoking this now for a few days and it has really grown on me. I am upgrading it to a 4 star.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Too wet in the tin, and not much in there...compares to escudo in terms of how little you get, volume wise.

Dried out, this is a fantastic smoke. Notes of gingerbread and some weird minty kind of thing overtop a not too sweet dark flake.

I like. You like? High five!

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Okay, here we go! You wanna go out tonight with your nice savinelli pipe, drink a couple of scotch or some pints of Guinness and smoke a strong tobacco that will not make your aura remind of a wet dog? what you do?? You bring along this dark sugary animal! It?s definitely NOT the best of SG collection but it IS definitely worth a night out!

However, I don?t thing I will buy another tin of this animal in the near future as FVF wins the race.

Happy new year to all of thee and happy smoking!

?Oooooh Gwaiiiith? rule the smoking waves?.!?

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Kendal Cream Flake is dark. I was really expecting something different, but I really like what I've found. The references to some other tobacco blends in the reviews here have me stumped. I was going to start out with a joke about getting this mixed up with GH's Kendal Flake, which for me is impossible. But, I see we all have different tastes--that's cool. So, I confess:

This has everything I like about Braken, St. Bruno RR, 1792, and Royal Yacht )yes Royal Yacht(, and nothing I don't. It's smooth. It's hard to get hot or bitter.(slight fault-1792). It's mildly cased. (bulk buy=air exposure). It's available. And, it's tasty, though I can't say what it tastes like. (Royal Yacht). Plus-Nicotine! From the beginning, this is a great smoke; with a year or more of age it's fantastic.

I can't find pounds of FVF these days and, alas, I smoke too much to have any cellared. Don't confuse the two but, could this be a stand in?

Nah----just Highly Recommended.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

September 24, 2007: I have ordered a pound of this in bulk, which came in 6" long, beautiful dark flakes! Kendal Cream is bliss. One more tasting note: I "taste" a very light and modicum of Oriental leaf (not in any way Latakia) when exhailing through my nose. I did not notice this after smoking Orcilla, Embarcadero, Yenidje Supreme and McConnell's the Original Oriental Mixture during the summer.

August 7, 2007: This is not floral or soapy in my estimation, but Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake is scented with essences that speak of berries, raisins and honey. This seems topped rather than cased and without added sugars. Lakeland blending is certainly unique in the world and Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake is as good an introduction as any blend for flake fanciers. For a solid example of Lake District floral scenting, try GH?s Best Brown #2. The latter, to me, tastes ?soapy? (as do nearly all their blends).

My tin description says ?Mild, Full [sic] Flavoured Tobacco.? Since ?Mild? and ?Full Flavoured? are distinct, I assume ?Mild? refers to strength. But this is no mild strength blend. It is very nearly full and requires that I eat something sweet after a bowl to get my blood sugar back on track. If by ?Full? and ?Flavoured? are meant ?full-flavored? then not really, except maybe the last quarter of a bowl. Neither is KCDF heavily laden with scenting.

KCDF?s tin aroma is reminiscent of Bracken Flake, as is the broken flake cut. With these, the similarities end. Bracken is more intense from the fire-cured Burleys, whereas Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake is a bit sweeter (though not a sweet blend) and less redolent of SG?s twist tobaccos as is Bracken. Kendal Cream is more like a Virginia flake with Burley accents and the cool character to go with it. The smooth nature of KCDF makes me give it the nod over BF. Flavor-wise, the only comparison I can make between KCDF and 1792 Flake is the taste of fire-cured leaf, albeit much lighter in KCDF.

KCDF also reminds me of Erinmore Flake. They are not similar in terms of flavorings (well, sort of in some ?berry essence? kind of way), but in deceptive strength, easy burn, mottled white ash, dry dottle, and each starting bland and ending complex and much fuller in flavor. KCDF is also smooth like I remember Erinmore Flake. Both are made from markedly very well-aged tobaccos, with all the harsh edges lost in time.

My first go with KCDF was three bowls in immediate succession, meerschaum, briar, meerschaum. Such experiences are atypical for me, as I like to switch it up if I have the time to smoke more than a bowl a day. My sample came from a 50gram tin. It was very good in either the silicate or briar pipe, though briar ultimately won the nod.

My real joy is the side stream aroma and the aroma exhaling through my nose. I simply get lost in smoke when puffing on this kind of blend. I have now consumed almost an entire tin and plan on purchasing a pound in bulk, along with the incomparable 1792 Flake. I will save a bowl or two from the tin to compare with the bulk when it arrives.

Really quite lovely, KCDF is something that I have been reaching for first when my palate is clean.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Ah, the best of the Lakeland Flakes.

This is one superb flake and one that is very similar to GHC?s Kendal Flake. Frankly if your not smoking them side by side, then you will probably only be able to tell them apart from their tin aromas. Taste wise KCF clinches it with the addition of a milky tea middle that is lacking from KF.

The taste very distinctive, with mint, elderflower, milky tea, witch hazel and many other flavours all rolling around one another perfectly. I?m surprised that there isn?t a review whinging that KCF tastes like pine disinfectant, as this does creep in a little during charring. Apart from this element at the start KCF is a near perfect blend.

This review is based on KCF deluxe, which has a slightly more floral note than the KCF bulk.

thedstinguishdgntlmn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedstinguishdgntlmn (8)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like to give this 4 stars but I can't due to being sucker punched by the nicotine. An EXCELLENT flake. It is probably the best of its genre. Again, the only drawback for me was the high nicotine level. It is also slightly astringent on the back of the throat. A better taste than Chocolate Flake but closer in "PUNCH" to 1792 flake. Worth a try. 3 stars.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

Kilted1's review is spot on.

Recently I too have been trying some of the Lakeland scented tobacco's and I found this one to be, if anything, milder in topping than many of the others. In the tin it has a very nice aroma, but when smoked its pretty low key. Once lit this is a nice, cool, even burning smoke. The interplay of the flavoring and the natural tastes is nicely handled.

Granted there will be many who hate the thought of trying anything with the Lakeland flavor, as I did once myself. This would be a good one to try to see what can be done. A quality tobacco and a good smoke. Recommended.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Quirky lakeflake with the standard floral undertone and a "creme" flavor more akin to witch hazel, rosehips, and milky tea. Almost sharp at times rather than cremey, but very intriguing. Some considerable drying time prior to smoking helps this blend behave in the pipe.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I picked this up at my local tobacco shop after finding it in their bulk section. After smoking a few bowls I thought I'd add my comments. The very unusual jar aroma had piqued my interest. This was my second Gawith tobacco I've tried. The first being the Chocolate Flake which I wasn't too crazy about.

The flake rubbed out with little effort. It packed easily enough, you can pack it to tight if not careful, something you want to avoid with this blend as you'll end up with a hot, flavorless smoke if you do. It lit well. The room note was certainly different. My sister-in-law complimented the aroma so that's a good thing. There's a definate quality tobacco taste that's enhanced by the casing. I would have like just a tad more burley, but then again that's just my personal preference. One thing to note is there is an aftertaste that can linger on your tongue. A sip of a good spirit will cleanse the palet and make the smoke more enjoyable. I'll recommend this blend to aromatic smokers, like myself, that enjoy a good tobacco with a pleasant aroma and blend quality.

Ebola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebola (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice tobacco taste. Although this is an aromatic with a strong aroma in the tin, the taste is by no means overpowering. The cream flavor is very interesting and mild enough to let the tobacco come through. I think this may be my favorite aromatic.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As can be expected with Gawith, even their "mild" blends have a bit of kick in the nicotene department, particularly for a sensitive soul like myself. Although this one will set my nerves on end by the bottom of the bowl it's not quite strong enough to make me feel sick. So that's a bonus. This is indeed a fine looking tobacco, a flake that is already a little broken up and easy to rub out. Many people find that all of their blends, which are produced in the Lakeland District of merry ole' England, in fact have a "flower essence". In any case, my tongue wasn't sensitive to notice any particular essense at all. The first time I lit it I detected a sort of "creamy flavour" but I may have been unduly influenced by the blend's name because this never really came through in subsequent smokes. I found this tobacco to be mostly natural in flavour with the slight nutty flavour of the burley poking through.

The quality of the blend is clear in its burning characteristics: Smooth, bite-free and burns down to a fine white ash with minimal relighting. This is a fine blend for those who prefer their tobacco a little more natural and want very little from the flavouring aspect.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)

- A flake of virginia and burley with a light aromatic casing

I am suprised how good this tobacco is. From some of the previous reviews I expected an intense floral scent that I don't appreciate. I don't consider this like that at all. The aromatic dressing is light, more of a "top flavor" that enhances aroma while not flavor that much, though some does come through in taste. The aromatic dressing has undertones that are reminiscent of honey and subtle spice like cinnamon. This reminds me of Germain's Mixture #7 which is far more intensely aromatic but that character seems similiar. The strength is fairly mild due to the burley I am sure. Tastewise aside from the cassing subtle natural virginia sweetness and soft round burley flavors present themselves. Together makes this a wonderful lightly aromatic flake of lessor strength than a straight VA flake.

- Highly recommended!

Diogenes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diogenes (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Absolutely a top notch tobacco. It demands your attention and you'd better give it if you truly want to experience it's nuances.

As with my other SG favorites, KCF is not for the faint of heart.

=UPDATE=

After reading other reviews mentioning a "floral" note I wonder if maybe there is an issue of confusion with this tobacco. I have 2lbs of "Kendal Creme Flake" which was bought in bulk and is in my "cellar" for the future... or another that I bought named "Kendal Creme Flake DELUXE" which came in a 50g tin. The KCFD certainly had a very fruity and maybe even floral note out of the tin and while smoking and is very unlike the bulk KCF I have cellaring [for the most part ;)].

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I am a fan of scented flakes and as such, I enjoy this one very much. The topping is somewhat reminiscent of old time liquorice essence or extract, used in cakes. It is sopping wet in the tin and apt to bite if not dried suitably. I am unsure about the "cream" moniker but do find it rich, but not so much so that I only smoke 1 bowl in a sitting. Pairs beautifully with strong tea and doesn't flavor a pipe so rabidly as St Bruno or Condor. Well made and worth a go, in my book.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Kendal cream flake is most definitely a full flavored blend. You must like the flavoring to smoke this stuff. Very good quality flake and makes alot of smoke. Easy burning and not too hot on the tongue. I could not smoke this often due to its very strong flavoring, but it is pleasant enough to smoke once in a while. I much prefer Ennerdale flake as a daily dose of flavored tabac. I can see if I run out of Ennerdale I could easily smoke this.

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't ususally go in for much flavoring in tobaccos, so after reading the reviews, I was skeptical regarding the added flavor in this blend. Surprisingly, I found this to be an excellent smoke and the flavoring did not bother me at all. I found the added flavor to be a welcome change. This tobacco has a nice full, round flavor and is very satisfying, especially after a plate of wild-game sausage, red-cabbage and a couple of pints of Guiness in the local Irish pub. The tobacco stands out well and is not overwhelmed by the flavoring. I think "Cream" is an accurate name, because this is rich and smooth without overpowering. I thought the tin aroma was very enticing, although it needs to breath a bit before being smoked due to the moisture content. I will continue to smoke this.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Tim of paylesspipes introduced me (8/03) to this wonderful scented flake -- a true "lakeland" flake. Talk about ecstasy. I had tried, mostly successfully, SG blends before from the Tinder Box, but that SG line seemed to regress (in availability) in recent years. I'm glad they are back plentiful!

I have smoked SG full virginia flake (a little on the dark side but nowhere near 1792) and medium virginia flake (not cooked as long as the full and slightly sweeter) and Brown Flake before. I enjoyed the first two more, as Brown Flake, though liked by many, seemed to have a little edge for me at times.

Kendal Cream Flake is based on the Best Brown formula, they say, which in turn is based on medium virginia flake scented slightly. Kendal Cream Flake adds burley to the mix, for a slightly rounder taste, and a bit more scenting. It seems SG wants to compete more with G&H on the scented flake line (lakeland flakes). The competition is welcome. These English flakes do not use glycerins for preservation like some American aromatics do. They are high quality, if not on the strong or heavily scented side in some cases. Some of those lakelands go over the edge, but not here (but some all natural smokers will feel it's close).

It burns cooly and is quite sweet. Not hot like some bright flakes (the flake here is darker than that). The burley keeps it tame and the sweetness to me is a little reminiscent of G&H broken flake no. 7. I do not know what flowerly-like scent SG uses here. They keep secrets. (It's like McClelland flake no. 27 to the max, but stays cool, and is reputedly sweeter than SG's Firedance flake.) You could also liken the sweetness to Best Brown enhanced, but the burley does add extra taste and mellowness to the blend too.

Like most flakes, it is best to take a slice -- which are easily removable from the tine -- and push or plug it into into the bowl gently while avoiding air pockets. It takes a few swirls with the lighter to get the burn going, but once it's going good, it pretty much stays lit. I usually had to relight it once or twice to the bottom, but not a problem.

I found the taste spicier when I broke up the flakes more. Some may like that sweet-spicy interplay, but I mostly preferred a rounder smoke. So I kept the flakes intact as best as I could during packing. The flakes are plyable.

It smokes dryly in the pipe and the walls stay clean. However, since there is some oil scenting and cooking involved in the flakes, some residue creeps into the shank, which requires use of a pipecleaner during the smoke (I recommend more than once) to avoid any buildup. With a pipecleaner, the taste remained sweet throughout. So use a system pipe or a pipe that passes the pipe cleaner test. You are rewarded with a sweet, flavorful and reasonably dry smoke then. (This pipecleaner use is a trait to some degree with all flakes.)

After finishing the tin, I bought a pound. I smoked the tin in Mastro which I had smoke some Grousemore in and in a Romford I had smoked Best Brown in. So it took a few bowls for the new flavor to settle in, but both pipes tasted similarly after about 10 bowls each. The room aroma was praised (by most). It smelled perfumy to me (nice). Solidly recommended for you lakeland types or new recruits.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

So I get a call from the local cigar/pipe shop here in Philadelphia and the guy at the other end says, "hey Jay, we just received a shipment of a new S. Gawith and I think you should come over and check them out". So I went over and picked up a tin of Kendall Cream Flake. Before I go any further, let me say that this is another example of the high quality Lake District blend. The burlies used are excellent. The tin aroma is a little scary at first but this was attenuated with a little airing out. The flakes are a medium speckled brown and rub out easily.

I packed a small Charatan billiard (which was a gift from a friend) and took a walk around the block. I noticed a very nice side-stream aroma and a semi-sweet/nutty flavor that remained throughout the bowl. It burned a nice medium/slow and left virtually nothing at the bottom. There was a little, and I do mean LITTLE gathering of strenght as the bowl simmered down to the bottom third, but nothing at all unpleasant.

If I had to draw a comparison, I would have to compare it to Esoterica Stonehaven though Kendall Cream is a little more aromatic. That is not to say that this should be pigeon holed as an aromatic. What it is, is a great smoke. There is definitely more of this in my future. Will it be my everyday smoke? No, due to the "added essence". Will I smoke it regulary? Yes. But I will be sure to dedicate a pipe or two just to this blend as I think it will flavor my bowl.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I'll give it a healthy 4 or 4.5.

Lingo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lingo (8)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Wow, great tobacco. Wet as all SGs, dark and strong enough to complete a full dinner, or to join a black tea.

Now, you really must like PEPPER to smoke this. I went through the page looking for "pepper" and found only 1 occurrence! How can that be? I'm not the most nose-expert here, I have never been able to say "yessss there's hay... maybe figues... no no, dry figues...". So I'm not that kind of guy, but it's PEPPER here, lots and lots of pepper!

Smokes probably cooler than an average SG, as far as the "Lakeland" word still means something...

After a tin of Kendal Cream, once enjoyed the strong burley flavour, I love our poor "Italia" (italian kentucky) even more than I did before, because FVF+Italia will cost me less than this flake but will probably be worth much more in the end, I'll let you know....

Pipe Used: Peterson

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Disclaimer: Be advised that if you are a fan of this blend then do not read the review below especially if you;

1)Cried during Titanic. 2)Have high blood pressure. 3)Think Justin Bieber is cool.

Because you will be offended and its not my fault.

Tin Note: The jar of which my sample was in smelt like a fusion of chocolate and caramel it was a good smell. Also the only score this high you will see in this review.

Initial Light: Took me three tries with the pack and lite process but it eventually took the flame. My reward was a soapy taste in the mouth I mean i might have swore a few times trying to get it lit so i guess i deserved it.

Mid-Smoke: Mid-bowl it has become apparent to me that this is clearly a burley forward blend as i detect zero Virginia throughout the smoke at this time or after for that matter. I was also starting to get a little bite on my tongue and inside cheek. Near the end of the middle and beginning of the bottom portion of my smoke it just tasted ashy kind of like a cheap cigar I was beginning to question whether I could even finish this smoke.

Bottom of the Bowl: Started smoking hot, I dumped the ash out and the biting was gone however there was no change in taste and my throat was soar at this point, one more thing i will sto....gurgle gurgle Mid thought I just drank the juice. Mid-way through the bottom of the bowl. I had enough, No thanks.

Room Note: No joke as I was spitting out the lovely juice my pipe gave me I turned to my wife eyes watery and said Cheap cigar? she said Exactly what i smell. There you have it a blend the smells like it tastes.

Dottle: Despite me stopping literally 2mm from the bottom of the bowl the ash resembled that of a cigar's compact white ash.

Smoking Duration: I lasted 35min. (I'll take my badge now)

Overall: I usually say i will revisit the blend, maybe my tastes will change later on. However with this one I think if I was looking for that taste I would be better off to just buy a 4$ cigar at the gas station.

Sorry if i hurt your feelings, Smokeybear

Pipe Used: Ringed Metal Pipe 50's

Age When Smoked: Not sure was jarred sample

Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

Kendal Cream . I find this a sublime treat ! The initial aroma is very enticing as it is easy to recognize that its Burley/Virginia with a lovely subtle sweetness as well . The only negative about this is ( like St James flake ) it could use a little extra drying time , however with a little perseverance it is ready to go ! Despite the moistness it is easy to light up and delivers a good , even burn which stays lit well . The smoke is of a superb thickness and I find no bite at all . Now the taste... I find the topping to be of a good balance in this and not too overpowering so it does not cover the Tobacco flavour . It has a good thick mainly Virginia taste with an "almost" flowery background note to it . The Nicotine content is good for me as but that is subjective , I find it about the same as St James Flake . A very good Virginia room note as well . In all , it gets a "well done" from me !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I'm a ST enthusiastic but these flake took me down. ST are always extra humid but these one is too much humid. I left 2 days opened but was still too humid. The tobacco itself is not bad but isn't characteristic. doesn't have the usual SG surplus

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Amazingly benign compared to other SG flakes. Cookie dough tin note is not all that bad, but the tobacco tastes like......warm smoke? Hard to say what it tastes like. It's not offensive, it just, to me of course, isn't much of anything at all. Like the artwork if that counts for something. Burley for sure, virginia in trace amounts. If you want to smoke and it's there, fine. If you want to enjoy a bowl of pipe tobacco, I'd grab at any number of other tins, pouches or canisters.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

What can I say, this is again a SG flake which comes out othe tin as wet as possible, as usual. Instead of discussing the properties of the tobacco per-se, which are already quite well analyzed in previous posts, I am giving some advice on how to correctly ignite the SG flakes. This comes from my experience after several years of attempts.

As all SG smokers know, a beginner is tempted to say "this tobacco will never light up and kept lit". Some think that it could be used in place of asbestos in fire-critical environments.

The solution is to use a mix of propane and AvGas (aviation gasoline), the latter used also in turbine jet engines. Do not exaggerate with this mix, or the bowl will explode or (at best) take off with an amazing vertical speed.

Do things carefully, and the SG Kendal Cream will then light up, and kept burning to ashes, even if you dont smoke it.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of Gawith tobaccos just can't get into this one. I guess I don't like Burley mixed in my Virginia's.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Simply did not like the flavor profile on this one. I had found that the SG line of flakes were very inconsistently sized. The cut would be thin for one flake and then thick for the next flake. Also the flakes were a little difficult to rub out. Lastly, I had trouble keeping this stuff lit and producing an acceptable amount of smoke. Eventually dropped the whole line of flakes due to these drawbacks.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tin note reminded me of cake batter with perhaps a smidgen of spice, similar to the Cinnamon spice in their 2013 Christmas Mixture and mild. No soap or floral in the tin note nor while smoking. Loading and lighting similar to all of the SGs I've tried, so better to dry it a bit. Not too much in the way of flavor for me, but a comfortable smoke without bite or heat. The leaf notes come to the fore very nicely with slow puffing and they are of high quality. I just wish there was a bit more flavor with this one, but it is still satisfying. Sliced thinner than other SG flakes which makes for easier smoking. A solid recommended.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I didn't try a lot of burley falkes, but I have to admit that this one is quite good. I't reminds me a bit the Peterson Irish flake but a lot milder and with a sweet aftertaste. I don't know if there's some sort of top dressing but, if present, is really mild. I don't agree with who think that smell like "cake", instead, when you open the tin, you can sense a pleasant smell of fresh bread & butter, combined with a less plaesant smell of cinnamon (or tonquino beans?)that you also can find in the taste, but not as strong as the smell. The flakes are cut in large and fresh slices that you can bend and press into the bowl but is better to rip & rub them up a little. Obviously the KC flake is a lot better smoked with a meerschaum if you looking for a full- colored experience.

Type: Burley & Virginia flake natural aromatic ; Contents: Burley, Virginias ; Flavoring: Some sort of natural flavor in very low percentage (as tonquino beans or cinnamon) ; Cut: Large slices of flakes ; Humidity: Fresh but not wet ; Lighting: Easy after the first couple of bowls, when the tobacco become a little more dried ; Pipe recommended: Definitely a meerschaum or any type with a large bowl.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (28)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I'd read a couple of unenthusiastic reviews of this before I bought it, but decided to try it anyway, because I wanted to try all the tobaccos in Sam Gawith's regular range. I'm glad I did, because I love it. I wasn't very impressed with the first bowlful, but it grew on me, and the fourth bowl was a fantastic smoke: tasty, smooth, reasonably full-bodied, and slightly spicy. On opening the tin, the first thing you notice is the strong, sweet, cake-like smell, but it is not indicative of the smoking experience. It is definitely a new regular smoke for me.

pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this Gawith tobacco, but not as much as Full Virginia Flake. Please see my review of SHPC-VR to understand my general orientation. There is a definite pattern here in my tastes. If you like the tobaccos I like - then this is for your arsenal.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked this blend. Braken Flake and 1792 Flake are just a little too strong for me in the nic department but Kendal Cream hit's just right. The flavoring is defiantly lakeland but not overwhelmingly so. I found the tobacco to burn quite nicely once rubbed out and dried, and burned all the way to the bottom. Overall a good blend and a nice change of pace from my usual rotation.

Soli Deo gloria!

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought this at the tobacco store at the mall on a whim, i've heard much about Gawith tobacco and wanted to try it. I smoke this in a small bowl.

Smells like a cross between floral and aftershave to me, very moist and requires a couple of minutes drying after you rub it out. After lighting, it's not a bad flavor, the topping is there, but I can't tell you what it is, I taste a good blend of the Virginia and burley.It has a full taste, doesn't bite, and is light on the nicotine to me.

I probably won't buy this again but I will be glad to finish my tin and use it as a refreshing smoke after a bowl of a heavier tobacco.

UPDATE: I just ordered another tin of this, i've somehow grown quite fond of it for a change of pace!

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A tobacco I really tried to like. The dark brown flakes are chunky, moist, and need to be dried and rubbed out fully. Tin note reminds me of baby powder, aniseed, cedar and roasted nuts. Pack this stuff loosely into your pipe. Be surprised with Burley's bitter nuttiness covered with something that might cause headache - and this casing is not as sweet as the name "Kendal Cream Deluxe (!) Flake" suggests.

Pros: - Quite "creamy" and full smoke. - tongue-friendly and cool. - delivers enough nicotine.

Cons: - SG-typical flakes are inconsistent in thickness and moisture level. - smoke carries a bitter taste which pretends to be cocoa. - unreasonably expensive (in Europe) for an average smoking experience.

I won't buy this stuff again, but it is still quality tobacco: 2.5/5

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, not great. High quality tobacco, very thick and irregular thickness of flake. Have not been able to smoke a full flake, it's too wet, comes saturated in the tin. Dried out, rubbed, still hard to keep lit. The only way I have been able to smoke it is cubed and dried. It tastes, well it's hard to explain.. Burley and a bit of something, I get a faint aniseed taste at first, then sorta coco, bitter nougat. Its not really creamy as far as I can tell, but it's not rough either.

I won't buy this again, but I'm glad I tried it, I can see how some people would love this stuff.

EDIT - After smoking the last few flakes, I sorta miss it now its gone. I'll buy another tin or two if the opportunity presents itself. I just wish it wasn't so wet. Maybe I'll dry it with the air conditioner.

Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mmmmm, the flavoring here seems strongly related to the one of 1792 and Bracken Flake: vanilla, cocoa, and probably tonquin. Luckily, the tobacco underneath is not as strong in nicotine, nor in "dark fermented stinkiness".

Actually, on the other hand, it's a very dull blend. Mild to the edge of boredom, monochromatic, no evolution. It burns cool and very slow thanks to the burley (after a slighlty harder time than usual to get it lit, due to the density of the flakes even when dried a bit), and goes on forever...

The problem for me is that it doesn't give me much satisfaction, not enough flavour or interesting moments. Nothing offensive, mind you... but it doesn't get much better than the taste from a (mild) cigarette. When dried a bit more, the only thing that stands out is the burley... but I have had some better ones.

The typical Kendal aromas are mild, too, and not too intrusive during the smoking experience.

Not much my cup of tea, but if you fancy a much lighter version of the classic S&G flavored flakes, it might be up your alley.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this in the summer on 2011 and got frustrated with the moisture level so I guess I forgot about it. Now, in the winter of 2012, I came back to it and the moisture level really decreased in my tin and now this stuff really shines.

The flowery smell in the tin (reminds me of Gabel's Lilac aftershave) doesn't show up in the smoke and I think the burley provides the creaminess and the virginia the character of the blend.

You need to get this going good after your false light and then slowly sip on it. I have found this technique to bring some great pipe smoking pleasure from this blend.

Not an everyday kind of blend, but good none the less.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

The tin smell was of raisins and other dried fruits like dates or something. I first tried smoking this folded and did not have a good smoke. It got better after I fully rubbed it out. I found that it gave a little tongue bite and smoked a little hot. Granted it was one of my first ever tobaccos so I may have had inexperience against me when I smoked it. It was a passible smoke so maybe I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm not going to toss it out. To each their own though, it's worth a try.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Admittedly this review has been made on a small sample of this flake, but even so there isn't much to get get excited about.

Best moment is the flake itself. Dark, very gooey and slightly scented with ....something. Pleasant yes, distinctive no. Very easily rubbed out.

Due to the moisture content I'd recommend drying it out for a few hours at the very least.

Oh dear.

I don't detect any of these flavours.

Chocolate ?

Cocoa ?

You're having a giraffe.

There is a creamy texture to the smoke however, but this does little to save this pretty tasteless brew from the obscure.

Worth a punt at a tin ? No, don't bust a gut.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

The tin aroma of this Sam Gawith flake is sickly sweet, nothing you can identify as a common or known scent, more like the smell of an organic chemistry lab exercise.

The flakes vary in thickness from 1 to 3 mm. They are almost wet with the topping, and require some combination of drying and rubbing to make it smokeable.

I use a cob to avoid ghosting my briars. And although not as refined an experience as with my cherished briars, I must admit that a five dollar Missouri Meerschaum provides an excellent smoke.

The "added essence" dominates the bowl, but in the second-third of the pipe the tobacco itself starts to shine.

Worth a try if you enjoy flavored weed or love Samuel Gawith, but not likely to play well in Peoria.

Addendum, 27 December 2011: I have quit smoking this one after becoming quite ill. It wasn't the nicotine which made me sick. I'm convinced it was the casing. That organic chemistry lab smell did not mix well with my own personal chemistry.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A delicious topped virginia flake with a nice subtle creamy flavor not unlike Stonehaven, but much milder and creamier. I had only a sample, but I found it to be a delightful smoke for any time of day seeing as how it is mild and does not tend to bite unless it's a little too dry. As with most all VA flakes this is one that must be sipped in order to be properly enjoyed!

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first few goes of this didn't work too well for me, but it's starting to take. "Cream" is an apt title, as this tastes pretty creamy and smooth. It's not low-quality tobacco, like many other flavored blends are. Put simply: I'm not an aromatic/flavored smoker, but this stuff works for me, which must mean it's pretty good.

Let's face it, scented flakes often come down to whether or not one likes the scent. Even if the underlying tobacco is of high quality, and in this case I think it is, and the scent isn't appealing then it just doesn't work. I like scented flakes very much, and I have tried this fresh from the tin and with two years of age on it and the result remains the same. It just doesn't blow my skirt up. I don't get the described chocolate at all and being too bored to pull out the thesaurus, I am going to go with a “minty” taste. Two stars because it is a quality tobacco, just not for me.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)

Since all of my pipes are dedicated to str8 VAs and EMs I decided to try out this in little savinelli apple, the only one dedicate to those casual aromatic puffs I have, now and then.

I stuck with you fellows of the lavender party, for what concerns tin aroma. I cannot sense that much chocolatey and lavender aroma thru puffing, but I feel a little disturbed from some "greasiness or something" I can feel, maybe because of the Burley that's inside of this blend. I expected much more taste and body too, anyway.

Maybe the cellaring gone bad for this tin, maybe it'll work better with a different pipe...certainly this is the less impressive of SG flakes I've tried so far.

Not bad at all but it doesn't drive me nuts.

And......"easy to rub out flake" may only mean "easier than other SG flakes"...cause this definitely isn't that easy to rub out....

This flake had an unusual tin aroma. If I closed my eyes and thought on it greatly I suppose it could be described as chocolate/cocoa. When I lit this one up I quickly discovered that it was not cocoa, nor was it creamy, it was quite peculiar tasting and acrid. I can't place the taste/aroma when burning, but I know I didn't like it very much. Though this was not pleasing to my sense of taste/smell, it burned very well and produced a nice volume of smoke and it needed no drying time before smoking. BTW, this is definitely not a "sweetish" aromatic. I suppose if you're like me you will try anything once just so you can give new things a whirl...Well I gave this a try and must pass on Kendal Flake. Lastly, I do not think the burley in this flake imparts any negative flavors since burley has a relatively neutral taste profile. It does lend to the overall body of the smoke and is an excellent vessel to absorb the flavoring put upon this flake...too bad I found the flavoring not to be, my cup o' tea.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another great SG blend, pairs nice with morn'in coffee or a nice bock lager...

my taste/likes to compare: 1792, Bracken, Best Brown, FVF and now Kendal Cream Flake

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice bendy flakes (which accounts for it needing the odd relit) and to me an interesting flavor. Depending on the pipe, about 1/4 to 1/2 the Lakelands I found in G&H Bob's Chocolate, and this level was about right for me when I was first trying Lakelands -- I can see how some might miss it entirely. I found the 'milky tea' note others have, with a little chocolate cream now and again. Not sweet at all for me. The Nicotine creeps up on me in this blend. After a bit of an internal debate, a three* for me.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Every few weeks I absolutely CRAVE this blend. The name is very suitable, but Cream should be bold type and underlined. This is the creamiest smoking flake I have ever packed in my pipe. For some reason, I have difficulties (at times) packing the rubbed out flakes. I never seem to be able to finish the whole bowl, it requires that much attention (It could just be operator error), then my attention floats elsewhere, and I am off to a different blend.

Pairs well with a Rusty Nail.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Others have claimed to taste Lavender in this, but I don't. I taste something bitter, like unsweetened chocolate.

My first impressions were tepid, but now that it's dried out a bit I kind of like it.

This is a Virginia-Burley flake. I'm not a particular fan of burley, but didn't find it objectionable here. It's got a healthy dose of nicotine, a pleasant bitter flavor, and burns well. It is creamy in texture, and very dry in taste and mouthfeel. It is almost devoid of sweetness.

It's clearly not for everyone.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Thanks to Kendal Cream Flake, once again I'm convinced that;

a) I'm not fond of blends containing burley. I don't get those praised nutty fatty tastes from burleys. For the sake of comparison, it's just like those earthy, big bodied indonesian coffees for me, both leaves me with a ruined palate, muddy aftertaste, way too overwhelming to enjoy.

b) I should not take all reviews or reviewers into consideration but instead choose and follow a couple of reviewers whose taste buds I find similar to mine (ie. Claudius Stradivarius is one of them)

Shorter; I and my pipes share his thoughts on KCF.

Longer; Neither my small and big bowled meerschaums, nor briar ones worked well with KCF. The only exception being a left and forgotten problematic canadian shaped briar and that was "eh okay" only when 1/2 packed.

and tin aroma definetely not cocoa or chocolate. it's masala chai (or commonly known as chai latte) which consists of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove, black tea, milk. sometimes nutmeg, almond, fennel, pepper and liquorice added too. Anyway, kudos to SG they invented indian mixture.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Nice rustic looking flakes. Not very well sorted. Thickness and size varies. Great tin aroma. Almost like tangy fruit soaked leather I'd say. Must be well aged. Lots of sugar crystals on the flakes.

Needs to be dried out of the tin quite a bit. It's pretty obvious by the texture and feel when they are ready to smoke. I like to pull the flakes apart into thin strips and either roll up a sort of pseudo flake or just pack the strips as I would ribbon. Either way it smokes hassle free in a few different pipes anyway.

It's a pretty hardy smoke. Strong in the nicotine department. Smooth and tasty. Not difficult to get along with at all. It's hard to pinpoint anything particular to say about the smoke. For me anyway at this point. It's not like anything I've smoked up to this point but is. It's not bright and sweet nor deep and dark. Somewhere in between with a little musty sweetness I guess. I'm standing on the fence apparently. But there is nothing bad about it. It's all good. I have alot of tobacco on hand at this point and find myself reaching for it when I feel a bit like smoking a bright virginia but don't want to bother sitting concentrating on gentle sips for any flavour. These flakes bring it right out and say hello.

3 stars for being a pleasurable smoke. I'd buy it again.

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

In the container the smell is wonderful. The first problem is to keep this bacy going, it's relight after relight even after being pretty dry, the perfume flavoring doesn't taste that well in the smoke. It's one of does nah smokes for me, not worth the trouble.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (135)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I find this blend has one real heavy kick of nicotine that really affected me this morning. Mental Note: EAT FIRST. Good thing I can do my job without thinking clearly. I am used to less Vitamin N than what this one loads up. But really, this does seem to be another hit for me from SG. The flakes do seem to be on the thick side, as others have noted previously. I have done the fold and stuff method and the slightly rubbed out method with about the same results for burning quality. This seems to be a real slow burner, which is fantastic. There does seem to be a nice amount of smoke. This burns down to a nice fine ash. The taste is great for me. I'll put this down as pleasant for room note, since I have only smoked this outside. I would definitely recommend this blend for those who are looking to see what an English blender can do with these fine leaves that we constantly burn up. As long as I eat before smoking this fine blend, it really is one of the best smokes I have had the pleasure to burn.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This mixture is not my thing. Althout the tobaccos are high quality and enjoyable when you can focus on them, the casing is odd and kind of mismatching the base leaf. Towards the bottom half of the bowl, once you're past the yuck point, you can appreciate the great Virginias and the backing burley, but with so many great tobaccos on the market, what's the point?

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I didn't react well to this flake - nor my pipes.

The tin aroma was wondeful, but smoking it proved disappointing.

It was strong, bitey and the casing was badly reacting with the briar. And the nicotine content make my head spin.

Only St -Bruno flake proved to be worse than this one...

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like others on here, this was my first foray into the Lakeland style blends. Out of the tin, the brown flakes emit a rich earthy smell that I went absolutely nuts over. The flakes themselves came cut fairly thick and very moist. From what I've read, this fares better folded rather than rubbed, so that's been my only experience so far, having let the flake dry overnight. It takes a LOT of relights for me, and the strands tend to harden into charcoal as the bowl progresses. This is probably my own fault for not drying it out better. Aside from my own fiddling and relighting, it lasts quite a while; a single bowl takes me all day with on-and-off smoking. The first half of the bowl gives me wispy smoke and a taste that mirrors the tin smell, while the second half gives me a richer flavor and body. The cocoa certainly comes out here, but doesn't overpower the tobacco by any means. I see why others have labeled this creamy: it's gentle on the tongue and rich without being overly sweet or smoky in flavor. Someone in a past review mentioned the taste of milky tea and I'd say that's spot-on. As for the room note, I was less than pleased. I'm not big on burley, neither the flavor nor the smell. It plays into the taste well here, but leaves a cigar-like aroma afterwards. My pipe smells like coffee (though I can't detect much ghosting), but the room smells stale. This one stays outside. No complaints there, seeing as this is great for sitting and reading outside. Lastly, this gives me a good nicotine kick. Not one of my better ideas to combine this with a big cup of french-press coffee on an empty stomach.

--- After revisiting this tobacco, I'm finding that my tastes are changing significantly. The above still holds true; it is an aromatic that is well-fragranced and based on great tobaccos, but the combination of Lakeland scent, nicotine, and (particularly) burley is not really agreeing with me.

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

sorry to say i did not care for this one. I like a tobacco I can eat with a knife and fork, and this ain't one of them. the tin aroma was very mild, and the taist was not there. a bit to mild for me, and my pipe went out three times before I gave up on it.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

this is a good baccy with chocolate/cocoa flavor but the flavor is not overwhelming which is good.the only reason I give 3stars to this is because it doesn't have much body and its quite mild nevertheless its worth trying. cause you can't always smoke medium to strong tobaccos, and it compliments coffee(Drink) very well.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

No doubt the description given by SG corresponds to 100%.

It is a nice smoke, smooth, truly enjoy between nose and mouth.

Some light reminiscent of a flake that no longer exists, Craven mild flake.

Is a blend that can be safely smoked by those who start with a pipe, in fact I recommend it to beginners! Slow smoking, without broken the flake

Better in a small pipe.

Leave off the pipe if the smoke gets hot too, is not no problem!

Indeed, it is better!

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this tobacco. Just thought I'd get that off my chest from the get go!

Opening the tin, you are greeted with a nice, earthy smell, and medium dark brown colored flakes. I just love the way Gawith's flakes look - they look practically appetizing.

The moisture content out of the tin was good for me. It could help with a bit of drying out but I felt no need, I just took a flake, folded, packed, and lit. Holds to a flame well requiring few relights. If you rub it down it won't go out at all, but just burn smoothly and evenly.

The taste is outstanding. I love how the Virginia's and Burley's play off of each other. The sweetness of the Virginia's and the boldness of the Burley's is excellent.

Nice and creamy, it's easy to smoke, and doesn't wear your tongue down. It's not coated with a whole bunch of stuff so the base flavors you get are just really high quality tobaccos - the way it should be.

Four stars.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this stuff! It's sweet, creamy and flavorful. Mild mannered yet robust, smooth and refreshing. This is a big time smoke! Buy it in bulk, it's very affordable. Definitely in my top five.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

As with all Sam Gawith flakes, Kendal Cream also benefits greatly from at least an hour of breathing time before lit. To be honest, when I first opened the tin, the aroma was so strong and so weird, I thought "no way". But I'm glad I didn't place false judgment based on the tin aroma. The smoke is thick, creamy, and tasty right from the start. The added flavor is pretty light and pleasant. You mostly taste high quality tobacco. I did find this tobacco to become a bit harsh at times, and it can bite if provoked. The flavor is earthy and somewhat sweet, with a hint of fresh grass. I'd smoke it again for sure.

Among the Kendal offerings by SG that I've tried, this is the one in which the "lakeland" elements are the most mild, or toned-down. I can see what people mean by lavender, but it is unobtrusive enough to allow the Virginia to shine through. The burley is evident as well, but not overpowering. Based on the first few bowls, this seems to have little bite potential for me, which probably means that it is about the right strength for me, and flavor can be found without overpuffing. The bowl starts out as a thin yet pleasant smoke, but develops in complexity, as a good smoke should. It never becomes strong or harsh to my tastes, but in the "homestretch" I am reminded that this is a Kendal-style flake. All in all, I recommend this blend heartily, but leave the rating at three stars because there are a couple of other SGs, Navy Flake and FVF, which I would buy before buying this one again, and in larger amounts. But I will buy it again eventually; the taste at the end of the bowl is quite nice!

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

It has a lavender smell and beginning taste that quickly turn to...Idont know what but it was gross. Thats it.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)

A great Lakeland tobacco! Very rich and lavender like. Some reviews on here claim that it has a 'soapy' taste to it, yet I assure you my palate did not detect soapyness but a rich creamy lavender taste. Very full bodied and smooth. Great Choice! Get a tin and try it!

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Popping the top...difficult to isolate the minimal topping flavor positively...a bit of anise & maybe a touch of caramel. This stuff is moist from the tin & requires a bit of drying which doesn't take long & it rubs out easily. Not bad at all & a good bang for the buck. The casing is minimal and doesn't overpower the tobacco. Room note seems kind of neutral as I didn't notice hardly any tobacco odor or much aroma from the topping...like the tobacco odor has simply been masked. Anyway, the sweet taste & nicotine content in this blend makes stoking any pipe worthwhile. It is easy on the tongue/palate & smokes cool. Easy to keep lit & burns dry all the way to the bottom...smooth & "creamy," as it were. Overall, this is really a good pipe tobacco. Therefore, IMHO, Samuel Gawith's Kendal Cream Flake merits four **s!

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know what all the negativity is all about. This is my first try at a Lakeland type blend and I rather like it. I don't know what the flavoring is but it is not overly applied.It's not floral as is reportedly the case with a lot of the Lakelands. It's smooth,creamy with a good bit of strength and over all I find it to be very satisfying.It's not one of my favorites but I enjoy it and will be keeping some on hand.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my very first time trying tobacco of this type(lakeland)and I really enjoyed it.The only problem I had is it gave me a slight headache due to the fact that my regular tobaccos dont have that much nicotine.It burned well,stayed lit and kept its flavor all the way through.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a wonderful virginia/burley flake. Some topping but I think it really adds to the blend rather than takes away. I give it some drying time -- where I am it stays at about 15% humidity so I don't dry it too long, maybe 30 min.. I fully rub it out and generally enjoy it in a clay that holds about 3/4 of a flake. A real treat. No bite - lights easy, stays lit. Slightly sweet. Simple stuff. Reminds me some of MacBaren's Navy Flake or even Mixture Flake maybe a little sweeter and fuller, thicker flakes. Enjoy!

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Once dried out the added essence is subdued, revealing a rich creamy smoke of excellent quality leaf, smooth without a bite. A splendid afteroon tobacco.

I have never been overly fond of Burley, but Kendal Cream could make a convert of me yet.

eichenlaub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eichenlaub (13)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice burley in this one, and the added essence was mild enough to just top things off, not overpower the tobacco. Another winner from SG.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Interesting blend. As is my usual custom, I smoked it fresh out of the tin (no drying) and with close to two hours drying time. It behaved rather differently in the two cases.

Fresh... very annoying tin aroma, kind of a soapy floral smell (Lakeland... duh!) but with a hint of something like licorice, like they put in the Pall Mall cigarettes. At the match, I got a pretty good snootful of this aroma, and the taste was a carbon copy of the aroma. Reminded me of Erinmore Flake, which I haven't smoked in decades, and that I don't miss. The flavor became bland as the top note burned off. Very one-dimensional, which was an improvement over that cloying original taste.

Dried out... the tin aroma was less pronounced and finally the actual burley taste won out over the flowers and soap. Much better! I didn't actually taste the virginia (I suspect it's of the stoved variety) but I think it toned down the burley... which I felt was a positive. Still a fairly one dimensional smoke and it is bettered IMHO by Stonehaven and a couple of Solani blends and I would have liked a little more virginia flavor to help the blend develop, but this is certainly a decent enough smoke if it's what you're wanting. No glaring faults but not much to recommend it, either.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

tin aroma: mmmm. absolutely delicious, with a pronounced smell of well aged virginia; the flavouring subdued, and the burley only just recognizable.

rather moist, though not, perhaps, as much as other gawith tin flakes. lights allright without drying, but is easier after a couple hours drying in the pipe.

taste: the burley and the flavouring become a lot more pronounced than in the tin aroma, but are still tied together by the exquisite virginia. there's a slight sweetness, a little tartness, and first of all it's earthy and slightly floral/vanilly (in a tonquin-like way.

this is somewhat similar to "warrior plug" in the over all flavour profile, with perhaps a bit less virginia taste, a more pronounced burley, and a little less "chewy" mouthfeel. though it packs quite a punch, it's very smooth.

a fine blend!

Bazsup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazsup (13)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is of a bulk purchase (8 ounces). The tobacco was moist but not overly when it arrived. It is much like best brown burley but with more high notes.

It hasn't burned yet and I am a hot smoker. The pipe seems to get richer and more flavorful as you go deeper in the bowl. If I am smoking on an empty stomach it can give a little light headedness but no problems under normal conditions.

Again my one complaint of SG flakes is that some get so thick as to negatively effect the load and the smoke. Variety of thickness is fine until it gets too thick.

All an all a favorite.

Clayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clayman (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A good smoke if you want a decent tasting tobacco that gives a nice room note. I let this one dry in one of four clay sugar pots I bought at a secondhand store some time ago. It smokes MUCH better when dry.

I detect the flavoring more than anything else in this blend. It's nice, unassuming, but it is certainly not a pure tobacco experience. It has a similar feel to MacBaren navy flake, but with a bit more flavor, and that flavor is definitely there on the nose and the tongue, gently masking the burley.

This one is more "Cream" than "Kendal" and it's not so bad for it.

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Incredibly delicious tobacco, it gives an explosion of thousands tastes and flavors during the smoking experience, tasty and rich, not soapy at all!

This tobacco is not intended for fast pipe smoke, it has been created for conscious enjoyment, it require you full attention, it is better to smoke this before bed, as your last smoke of the day, because any other blend smoked just after KCF seems to be tasteless .

It works better for me when folding and packing the flake in long narrow bowl, an extremely slow puffing is the only way to enjoy it; this is a wonderful late evening blend, contemplative smoke with your solitude, just laying down doing nothing but smoking KCF, in a relaxing and peaceful silence, wonderful experience!

It works great with sweet black tea, very good tobacco, Truly Exceptional! Highly Recommended!

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakelands fascinate me, but Kendall Cream floors me - floral, soapy, buttermilky, anisette-tinged, nic-charged, burley-esque - individually things I would never claim to enjoy, but Gawith brings them all together in a melange that can only come from genius. Cream is one thing, but Kendall Cream Flake is Devonshire (that stuff comes from cows?). What ties it all together is the sweet-tart Virginia. I don't have the words. This stuff is a delight not to be missed. : j

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland Tour Stop 9

The epitome of the Lakeland burley/virginia flake. Like all Lakeland flakes (at least those with little age on them), this one needs to be dried out. I popped the tin and left it in a large tupperware container with other tins for a month before smoking it. By then it needed no more drying out.

The thing with this flake is that it REALLY varies depending on the kind of pipe you smoke it in, more than any other tobacco I've experienced. Sometimes it was cloyingly sweet. This seemed to happen in significantly tappered bowls of all sizes. And in straight-sided bowls of 15/16" diameter or larger, it was very "soapy" and herbal. The best smokes were in straight-sided bowls of 13/16-7/8" diameter. In these, you get a lot more spice and that earthy, nutty burley goodness.

Also, I had a bit of an epiphany with this flake that will probably help with other Lakeland flakes (especially FVF) in the future. After about 6 weeks after popping the tin, the smoke lost its flavor, just as FVF has done to me in the past. I always thought that since these tobaccos seemed to be a good humidity that this was irreversable. But since I had a few more smokes-worth, I thought I might as well add some moisture and see what happened. Success! Even more hard-hitting burley goodness than before! Maybe it's obvious to you, but somehow that solution had evaded me before. Hope that helps others.

In the right conditions, this is wonderful; a must-try for burley and Lakeland fans. Lots of nicotene, as others have noted. Give it a try and be patient with it.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm glad that I waited to review KCF. (saves an edit) Upon arrival I found it strongly scented, and not a very pleasureable smoke. I had the same impression after several bowls. I put the bag away for sevearl weeks, and revisited it today. What a change. The aroma has softened, and the taste is great. Mild, sweet, cool, lots of smoke. Dried, and rubbed out the pack, light, and burn is PERFECT. I will be getting more of this......lots more!Rate

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the three best offerings by SG, the other two for me being Full Virginia Flake and Balkan Flake.

Kendal Cream has that delicious bread taste and aroma combined with some intoxicating flavoring. The smoke is really creamy and incredibly fragrant.

It's strong - don't let the word 'mild' on the tin fool you. It's mild in the taste, but not in the strength. I have smoked the first bowl of it at about 7 am and almost fell asleep. The tickling in the back of the throat will tell you it's got plenty of nicotine.

A very high-quality weed with unique taste and aroma.

I'd give it four stars if it was a bit milder on nicotine.

Lord Byron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Byron (11)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

KCF is another high quality offering from Gawith and a bit different in my opinion from their other virginia flakes. What ever topping is added to this is quite nice and it does produce a creamy and pleasant rather aromatic smoke.

I purchased a pound recently and was reminded of how good this flake smells upon opening. KCF has always been somewhat of an illusive flake to me. It tastes very different than what the smell would lead me to believe. It seems as if I just can?t put my finger on it enough to determine if I truly like it or not. (I tend to over analyze things so I figured a pound of it would help me make up my mind...)

The smoke is very relaxing and to me medium to full in the strength category but by all means manageable if respected. It has a wonderful aroma, pure tobacco taste, huge clouds of smoke and leaves a nice aftertaste however it seems to be a little more assertive than it has to be. Others have noted that it can be a little rough on the back of the throat and I agree. I blame that on the burley content. I have never been a big fan of burley however in small doses on occasion I do not mind it. I would say that the burley content in this particular flake exceeds my preference limitations. In fact, this would be the only negative quality of this flake in my opinion yet a significant one. The others such as a tenancy to smoke hot, lack of sweetness and drying out a little too quickly would all be the result of the first (burley). For some this may pose no problem and I do not feel that this is a show stopper, just not my preference.

I will continue to smoke this on occasion, probably in the winter but it does not find a place in my top five Lakeland district favorites. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a more serious tobacco than the aromatics that they normally smoke or those who appreciate good burley. But for those who are looking for a more complex Virginia flake (like me) I would not say that this falls into that category. If this had a little less burley I could see this being a great everyday smoke for me.

good smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
good smoke (5)

I find this blend mild compared to Stonehaven, which was my first burley virginia blend. It may be too mild for me. I like something a little stronger. There is no bit, it has a nice floral smell. Worth trying. I give it 3 stars.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

I am not a big fan of Lakeland blends, but always find them to be of great quality and continue to venture into this genre. My persistence has paid off, Kendal Creme Flake has been a fantastic experience.

The flakes are dark and smell of liquorice. They are rather moist and need to be dried out considerably. If you don't dry it well, this tobacco will not burn. The flakes rub out with some difficulty due to their rubbery texture, but the course matter which this flake produces insures slow smoking.

I find this takes about 3 or 4 matches to really get going. It requires a fair amount of relights to me, but the flavor upon relight is pleasant and this blend doesn't nip the tongue, so it is a minor inconvenience.

This tobacco is meant to be enjoyed while sitting down and focusing on the smoke. It does not work well as a blend to putter around the shop or house with. The flavor is creamy, sweet, and spicy. It has wonderful Virginia flavor in the darker ranges, I taste brown sugar, tea, clove, liquorice, cinnamon, and anise. The aroma is pleasant and the aroma when blown through the nose is of liquorice.

This burns slow, a half bowl has lasted an hour in a half in a normal hour sized bowl. It is a great tobacco for enjoying a movie on the television. It goes particularly well with tea. The nicotine is noticeable, but not overpowering. Its strength is right where I like it. It produces voluminous amounts of smoke. A true pleasure.

This is truly superb stuff and I see myself purchasing some tins for the cellar. It is not an all day smoke, but serves best as a treat at the end of the day (I prefer it most in the late evening). The wife seems to like the smoke that this produces as well. I give this the highest recommendations. Just make sure you sit down and give yourself a chance to really enjoy it.

Jake696 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jake696 (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I took delivery of these flakes in bulk and they smelled great in the bag. I am not opposed to a Lakeland "floral" mixture, as some seem to be. This is a rich full-bodied smoke for me; however, I can't handle the heart-thumping nicotine kick it gave me.

This is much stronger than say Esoterica's Stonehaven, or Pembroke. I smoke them regularly w/o getting the nicotine jitters. I realize I may be a lightweight compared to some, I beleive it was Dirty Harry that said, "...A man needs to know his limitations...".

I plan to cellar and age the rest of this flake in hopes it will mellow with age.

If you enjoy the unusual flavors of the Lakeland District tobacs give this a try. Not one of my favorites at this time.

Update: Rubbed out fully and dried overnight this flake improves a great deal. The only minus (or plus) is the flavoring agent has a similarity to Royal Yachts'!(8/24/05) Three and one half stars.

Latest: Tried a small(group 1)recently. Flake was way too dry for optimal smoke. "Soapy" taste still evident. Rich virginia flavor with virtually no flavorings remaining. Nice aroma from bowl. Nicely satisfying. "Soap" haters need not apply. Very well behaved for too-dry condition.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Kendal Flake is the most approachable of the Lakeland flakes.Feminine in its grace and lack of aggression, it is a delightful introduction to scented flakes. In the genre, 1792 Flake is a class apart, but an acquired taste. This will satisfy any seeker after tobacco taste moderated with a bit of perfume.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

In the tin, this tobacco looks like 3in long strips of bacon, stacked one on top of the other. It has some dark leaf and light colored leaf in these compressed strips. The tin aroma is very mild & sweet. I've found that it smokes better in a larger bowl pipe (by rolling it into a ball and placing in the bottom of the bowl, with some broken sprinkles on top). It can be a little difficult to get it lit, but once it's burning it puts off lots of billowing smoke. I have not been able to detect the burley, but it definitely has the full, sweet taste of virginia. It burns slow and cool with zero tongue bite. If it has a casing, I cannot detect it. The room note is very pleasant as well. Not as stong in nicotine as the 1792 flake, but it still has some punch. This is a high-class tobacco, very elegant! 4-stars.

8/11/2006 update: After trying a couple of more bowlfuls, I detect sweet virgina upon lighting up, then it settles into what the monograph describes as a cream flavor...very distinctive taste which is hard to describe. Although the monograph does not list Perique, I can detect the same type of spicy note that Perique imparts. The burley is still undectable to my tastebuds. No change in my 4-star rating.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

I should have started smoking this delicious blend long ago. I'm not one that particularly likes the Lakeland floral scent/taste. In fact, I hate it. Although this blend is supposed to fit into that catagory, I just don't detect it. If it's there, it must be in very small amounts.

What I do taste is a sweet, creamy smoke that burns cool, smokes dry and does not bite the tongue. Four stars!

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

Very high quality tobacco and very unique. I ordered this with another selection from Gawith (Grouse Moore)and I really enjoyed both of these blends. This did have a very nice ?creamy ? flavor and was a very cool and enjoyable experience. Actually writing this review and remembering these blends has me thinking of putting in an order for more of these scrumptious blends and maybe trying one of Gawith?s English blends

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A very nice, somewhat mild blend, with a definite "cream" flavour. I would agree with the reviewer who identified it as a "milky tea". This is not to say that it is unpleasant, but rather a nice, light touch.

Since this tobacco is a flake, the smoker has some control over how rubbed out they want this. I personally like flakes, as preparing my tobacco adds some small joy to the smoking experience.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have lately been exploring Lakeland Scented Flakes. It is a fascinating journey.

Appearance: A mostly dark brown with some light brown and tan mottling leathery flake of varying thickness.

Tin aroma: Kendal Cream Flake is that it is fairly heavily scented, one that most American pipe smokers would likely call ?soapy?. I don't find that soap is a proper description at all. I pick up tones of black cherry, something sweet and vaguely like molasses and hints of rose as in Greek Rose Petal preserves (not a regular on many an American table). I can also detect deep Virginias and an underlying nuttiness which I attribute to the air curred Burley. There is an underlying sour almost citrus scent as well.

This tobacco seems too moist to me, but I find that it generally performs well straight out of the tin. As with most flake tobaccos I simply take several flakes together, fold them in half and insert them length-wise into the bowl trimming off the excess. I find it has a much better burn this way and makes for a long enjoyable smoke.

For this review, I?ve chosen an Peterson Pipe of the Year 2002 smooth spigot Rhodesian.

A first light is brings billows of rich white smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper and then a tamping light. The topping or casing is immediately there a nice compliment to the fine quality leaf underneath. Flavors of cherry, rose and a deep nuttiness are exhaled with increasing pleasure. There is a nice inter working of Virginia sweet 'n sour and Burley nuttiness. This is a fairly sweet mixture owing partly to the Virginias and to the topping/casing agents. As is fairly typical of English flake tobaccos when smoked un rubbed it takes a bit to get this blend going; once there though it smokes with minimal re-lights.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build getting rounder and building in complexity. The topping or casing gradually fade completely into the background but never leave the scene. The Virginias build in depth and character while the Burley slowly builds and begins to assert dominance. I've not experienced any hint of tongue bite from this blend, though if over puffed the Burley can become bitter and ruin things. If one takes the time to smoke this slowly and methodically a sweet, rich and flavorful voyage is there for the taking.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I find that it becomes more intense though never overpoweringly so. This blend never reaches the strength of some other SG offerings such as 1792 or Bracken Flake. It is more subdued and mild by comparison. The Burley eventually becomes the most dominant component with the Virginias and the topping/casing fading in intensity. Deep and resonant forest, leather and cigar tones emerge from the heart of this blend. The sweetness and topping/casing never fully leave, yet their initial flavors have matured and ripened into a fascinating mixture of stewed spiced fruits and rich adult pleasures.

Overall this is a mild to medium bodied mixture of outstanding quality and flavor.

Supplemental Notes: This is very likely to become a regular part of my rotation as a something to be reached for when a scented flake is desired without the strength of similar offerings. *1/2