Using the same blend as Kendal Cream Flake, we have developed this broad-cut mixture for the smoker who enjoys a mild and creamy pipeful. Experience the particularly pleasing room-aroma.

BrandSamuel Gawith
2.9
Smaug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smaug (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As much as I dislike to disparage a leaf of good quality, this blend commits the only real sin of any pipe tobacco - it's boring. I'll leave it at that.

===@}~

===@}~ :)

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Being a regular flake smoker, I ordered this tin in error instead of Kendal Cream Flake. This is not a ready rubbed tobacco as indicated above but rather a wide ribbon cut of very moist light brown VAs and Burleys. Perhaps I already had two strikes since I also don't prefer aromatics. I had great difficulty obtaining uniform packing due the the cut and moisture of the tobacco. If packed too hard, the air hole became clogged or the draw difficult to impossible. If too loose, the tobacco burned unevenly and very quickly compared to my flakes. Without these problems, a creamy enjoyable taste resulted but it's just not worth the aggravation. Realize that this is a heavily but distinctly flavored blend without much hint of tobacco flavor. Only aromatic fanciers might enjoy this one. I hope to get better results from the Flake version.

Not as deep in flavor as the flake version but still a terrific change of pace smoke for me, Kendal Cream Mixture does fill the bill for those who enjoy Lakeland style tobaccos but have trouble handling the stronger blends.

If a true aromatic presentation is what you are looking for then this will not fill the bill. The Chocolate/Cocoa notes are deep in the background and disappear once the first half bowl is consumed. The strength picks up at mid-bowl and the sweetness also fades a bit. Truly a nice, light Lakeland.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

After reading much about GH blends I stumbled upon the Sam G, Kendal Cream tin. The tin aroma was not real exciting and 2/3'rds of the way through the first bowl I must say that its not as bad as I thought it would be. Thick taste, nice smoke and just a bit of a bite to the tongue. May let the next bowl air a while before smoking. No real specific's to this one for me. Just a good solid medium bodied smoke. I will say that when I set my pipe down for a bit of a break, I just wanted to pick it up again... Cant wait to smoke another bowl later tonight.

EDIT: half way through the tin and its turned into a full body great smoke. This is a blend that I look forward to smoking after dinner most days. Slow to burn and heavy near the end. What a great no frills smoke.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland Tour Stop 8

This is pretty good. Unfortunately, it seems to be no longer available, at least in the States. I could see going to this on occasion. But really, it's not remarkable enough to be mourned too much.

Since I've been smoking Kendal Cream Flake as well lately, some comparisons won't go amiss. Besides the same basic tobaccos, virginias and burleys, and the same kind of berry-like topping which mostly makes its presence known in the tin rather than the smoke, these are not really much alike. The flake is flavored a lot more, including the typical Lakeland "soapiness," which I could not detect at all in the Mixture. The mixture is the same in every pipe I smoked it in, whereas the flake varied widely depending on size of pipe and whether its bowl was tapered or straight. Also, I found the flake to be stronger in the nicotene department.

Speaking of which: I don't think I'm a nico-wimp. I can handle 1792 and BXX in moderate quantities, after a meal. And of course, the "strength" category is ambiguous...what is "tobacco strength" anyway? After all, the taste category seems to be about the flavor strength (mild, medium, etc.). So why not just treat "strength" as nicotene? But anyway, I found this to be just a tad stronger than FVF and BBF in nicotene, thus "medium to strong" over their "medium," with all due respect to the other reviewers who uniformally rate this mild.

This performed best when packed tightly, as in the Frank Method or, in my case, a reasonable approximation thereof. Otherwise it was very difficult to keep lit. But when packed right, it smoked pretty steadily all the way down. The flavors were simple and light, a smooth subdued sweetness with a bit of burley nuttiness or bitterness. Very cigarette-ish, in the best possible meaning of the term.

A good value, too. I got 25 smokes out of it, whereas the flakes usually give me only 15. Well worth a try if you can still get it, if you want a basic burley and virginia mix with a nice nic. hit.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Being a fan of Lakeland blends I?m surprised it took me so long to try this blend. I thought I picked up KCF and when I opened the tin there was some disappointment until the first bowl was light. The smoke was rich and creamy with a definite tonquin flavor but not near the level of 1792. A very cool and slow burning blend with a very pleasant room note. Don?t be put off by the fear of trying a Lakeland blend; this one just might surprise you.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Although this belnd comes from the dreaded Lakeland district, it is in now way the flowery urinal cake flavored blend that one might expect. To the contrary, it is a very good flake which is not overly moist and tastes very good. The flavor is hard to describe but one thing is certain, the tobacco flavor does shine through.

Give this blend a try and you'll see what I mean.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been quite curious about the so called Lakeland tobaccos offered by Samuel Gawith, and read on numerous interweb pipe forums that Kendall Cream Flake was amongst the best of the lot. I wound up accidentally picking up Kendall Cream Mixture and while I was initially a little bit disappointed in the mistake, once I popped open the tin and saw & smelled this tobacco, I changed my mind almost instantaneously.

Being a lover of Balkan/English and VA/Perique blends and, in general, a loather of aromatics I was a little anxious about the blend. My experiences with aromatics has generally been not so great (that is, if I'm smkoing them, but I do LOVE to be around others smoking them). I selected a tiny Peterson 317 System pipe from which I often smoke Lane's HGL, which is one of the few aromatics I can tolerate.

It took me a few puffs to really form an opinion and after finishing the tin, I found myself with a desire for more. Perhaps I will try the flake version eventually, but the ready rubbed mixture is excellent in & of itself.

Though I am not regularly a cigar smoker -- one or two a year at best -- there's something in the flavor, tin aroma, room note and texture of the smoke, if you will, that reminds me of a good mild cigar. This is perhaps the only blend where I truly sensed the nutty burley coming through -- mostly near the bottom of the bowl.

This one burns cool and clean. Perfect with a good beer and a game of backgammon with the Mrs..

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

On first opening the tin, I found this tobacco to be a medium browm, with a few flecks of darker color, and a sweet aroma, perhaps like cherry, but very nice. The cut was ribbon with a few bigger bits here and there.I don't smoke many aromatics, not because I don't enjoy them, but because most aromatics use Propylene Glycol to keep them moist, and tastes bad to me. This tobacco doesn't have any PG. It smokes very cleanly and tastes consistent all the way through, with the Burley asserting itself a bit more toward the end. It could bite your tonue a bit if puffed too hard, but was overall a cool smoke. This is not a tobacco to be compared to the flake version, as it simply doesn't have the depth of a flake. I would highly recommend this to an aromatic smoker who wants to try something of a bit better quality, or wants to try an English style aromatic without a tremoundous amount of floral flavor.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perhaps I should have tried the flake version first, as this blend underwhelmed me. Initial light produced a sudden and strong berry/cherry flavor. As a newcomer to Lake district styles, I'm always surprised by this fruity, floral note. Midway into the bowl this has dissipated somewhat and there's a nice, mild but solid tobacco flavor. I don't find this to be as much of an aromatic as other blends, but it certainly doesn't drive the dog out of the room. Will definitely have to try the flake version.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Methinks this is not merely the Flake version haphazardly chopped apart and placed in a can. None of the strength or complexity that is present in the latter shows up. I found a rough mix of burley and virginia, doused in an unidentifiable scent. That being said, the smoke is passable, for someone who ventures into the land of heavily cased Lakeland tobaccos. A friend of mine smokes this almost exclusively and I consider him a sensible fellow...I'll enjoy the Flake.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I assume this isn't much different than the flake form. It should really be described as a ribbon cut. I decided to try this because I hate flake tobacco. Call me lazy.

Strong but pleasant aroma (like cream, or vanilla).

Taste is good tobacco and a pleasing sweet creamy flavoring. The flavor stays consistent through the bowl.

If you like quality aromatics you will like this and find the flavoring unique. I haven't run across anything else like it.