Cubed burley, cyprian latakia, perique and bright virginia beckon you to rest and enjoy.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

2.9
BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

This is my first experience with C&D blends and this is certainly a great way to start!! A previous reviewer suggested trying this if you like Revelation among others, and Revelation being my all time favorite, I thought I would give this a try. While I do not think it resembles Revelation, this is one fantastic, mild english smoke. I say mild english because the Latakia shows itself all the way through the smoke,but not heavily at all. I would definitely smoke this all day without hesitation. Smokes cool with NO bite,very pleasant room note,my partner says it is very mild and not heavy in the air, so I would say this would not offend the larger groups.(If you can get one these days that won't complain about smoking around them!) The flavor is fantastic all the way to the very bottom of the bowl, smoking dry with no gurgle every time. I have smoked this in several pipes ranging from a Group 3 size to an ODA and each time the same result...FANTASTIC!!...4 stars..HIGHLY recommended!!!!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

HFTH is another great blend from C&D. It is listed under English blends at the C&D web site but it is certainly not a full or bold English blend. I would classify HFTH as an American English blend that, to me, means a LIGHT or even very light English blend. In other words, the burley or burley/VA is center stage with the Latakia in the wings. Then again, some folks would simply call this a burley blend. HFTH is reminiscent of many drug store blends that one could readily have found on store shelves in decades past.

HFTH has an enjoyable nutty sweetness and smoky flavor. It also has good burning qualities and smokes cool with no bite. The burley and VA tobaccos mingle nicely with the subtle notes of Latakia in the background. The perique was much less noticeable to my palate. Yes, this is definitely an American English blend that would be an ideal all day smoke. If you like Revelation, Barking Dog, Junkyard Dawg, Easy Times and/or Bailey?s Front Porch, you will probably enjoy HFTH.

If you dislike the cut of the leaf as bigblends below me noted, you can use a double-canister, hand cranked nut chopper. Run the tobacco through the chopper once for a finer cut. It takes about 30 - 60 seconds. If you are interested in purchasing a nut chopper, just ?froogle,? not google, for the words ?nut chopper.? Most are under $10.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)

This is a very basic English mixture. The absence of Turkish tobacco hinders what could be a good blend. It is, for the most part, bland. It's only saving point is that it contains enough Perique to salvage this mediocre mixtue. With that said, it is not a horrid experience, but certainly not noteworthy either.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I agree with the previous reviewer. Occasional wisps of hay-like Virginia sweetness but mostly a burley blend with a little latakia. A faint hint of perique rounds this blend out. Natural and enjoyable.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

tod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tod (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered 8 oz. of this blend. I find it takes a while to get an accurate feel for a blend. IMO this is a middle of the road, pleasant, reliable smoke. If smoked slowly I detected once in awhile sweet virginia. The burley works well with the Latakia, which is used lightly. I shy away from heavy latakia blends, but this works. Not my number one, but would reorder.

This is Barking Dog with detectable Perique. Nice all around presentation and did not require much thought while smoking. Not as famous as Barking Dog perhaps, but better.

I tasted Burley, Perique and Latakia. The Virginia addition escaped my palate. I couldn't so much as catch its coat tails.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

This is a good example of an English-American hybrid. I could easily picture men 50 years ago smoking this stuff all day long and never growing tired of it. It can bite a little if you're not careful, but otherwise this is a great blend to relax to. Beware, though, as this blend definitely contains nicotine.

There are other examples of this genre which I personally enjoy more -- such as Morley's Best, Gatlin-Burley and Epiphany -- but there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. There's just nothing particularly outstanding.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

My review of Bailey's Front Porch says just about enough on this blend, too. I will add that the House of Windsor nearly caused me to stop where I started with burley-based, American blends. If it were not for Pipeworks&Wilke and C&D, burley would still be on my bad word list.

Home from the Hills, like Haunted Bookshop, is likely to be a permanent filler for my pipes.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I never had much love of Burley, and perhaps I shouldn?t be rating these blends at all. It is conceivable I had an overload years ago when I smoked ?Barking Dog? & ?Mild and Mellow? fairly regularly. While this one may very well be one of the better Burley blends, it was just too average for me to rate highly. I have had, and think you will find, much better from Pease etc.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

a great american-english. wonderful earthy undertones, the latakia is there and they work together.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

This is a wonderful blend of Nutty, Smoky, figgy taste. To me, no one flavor stands out on its own, and it stayed that way from start to finish. Like a well blended libation, Its a relaxing, no brainer. If you've had a hard day, put this in your pipe and smoke it. Its welcoming, and relaxing. No bite, no harshness. If you like American English blends, you can't go wrong.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

As a lover of American English blends, I should love Home from the Hills. It is easily the most aesthetically appealing tobacco I've ever beheld: a classic rough cut blend of burleys (some cubed), Virginia, latakia, and perique, it ranges in color from pale blond to black. It smells wonderful and packs easily. On lighting up, the perique dominates along with the burley, but the latakia emerges now and then and the Virginia keeps it from being too heavy a blend. One could puff on this all day.

However, I found it a bitch to keep lit and somewhat bitey. You perhaps will find neither of these problems. If you like Revelation, you will probably love HFTH.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is pretty good. The flavor profile is very nice, and you get a balanced smoke. The leathery, woody, earthy, and flinty notes you might expect from the Latakia are often lost in the shadow of what comes across as savory baking spices. Very interesting.

I greatly dislike the cut of the leaf. It's too big and too random. I'm happy to whack up a plug or trim up some flake, but to have to take blades to a ready-rubbed mixture is a pain in the ass. I'd almost -- ALMOST -- be able to overlook this if the belnd had more body to it.

While I don't think this will become a part of my regular rotation or cellar, I still think it provides enough interest to give it a chance.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The above reviewer has spoken well. I would add that the Perique comes through as a chocolate underpinning as the bowl is smoked.

I too find this a remarkably complex, slow burnning blend, with each tobacco type showing itself throughout.

A must try for the full bodied pipester.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)

Thanks to the powers that be for adding this blend for review. I really love this blend. It has the nuttiness of cubed burley and the silky smoothness of latakia. I do not notice the impact of the virginia and the perique but I'm sure they effect it in their subtle ways. I smoke bowl after bowl of this while on the computer, reading, or any other hunkered down activity. I never cared too much for latakia until I tried this blend, and now believe it is the various oriental tobaccos that do not agree with me. I have tried Crowley's Favorite and prefer this for it seems less complex and for me that is more relaxing. I hope other's familure with english blends give this a try and write your reviews for I'd like to try other blends simular to this. Very tasty with no bite or bitterness top drawer!