Ribbon cut Virginia, mixed with two types of Black Cavendish and a touch of roasted Burley. Fresh sweet taste.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Puf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puf (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Rather heavily scented, when smoking this I often get remarks about the sweet, chocolate like odour it produces...base blend would be what other reviewers call "danish-style"....soft cool smoke with a faint sweetness. The flavouring is chocolate, with hints of caramel, in a mixture that is pleasant to my tastes; would not at all recommend this however if you are not into scented blends to begin with. Smokes and packs easily burning cool and steadily, but produces some moisture

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is grassy with some citrus. The burley is toasty nutty with a drop of molasses, and possibly a touch of cocoa in a support role. There are two types of black cavendish; one offers vanilla and I think the other is unsweetened. Sublimating the tobaccos to a fair extent are mild rich chocolate, light vanilla and very light caramel toppings. There’s a fruitiness I can’t account for from the description, so I say some of it comes from another topping I can’t identify. Has just a little nicotine. Won’t bite. Not very complex, but this is a well balanced blend that burns easy and fairly well, cool, clean and smooth with a little creaminess and few relights. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has no dull spots. Has a pleasant after taste. The only draw back is a light alcohol hit here and there. It's not too distracting, but you will notice it. An all day smoke that’s easily repeatable without wearing out your senses.

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (27)

Orlik Mellow Mixture is a confusing tobacco, mellow & very flavorful all in one very enjoyable smoke. The tobacco tin says it is a blend of mature and golden Virginia mixed with 2 types of Black Cavendishes rounded out with a toasted Burley.

The tin note is quite mellow, almost a sweet pastry like smell that is mouth watering. It is subtle at times but can also have an explosion of flavor in other puffs. I get a creamy taste of caramel, light chocolate & a fruity almost black cherry essence. The taste seems to change throughout yet maintains a mellow disposition if you keep to a slow sip.

The tobacco in the tin I have seems a little on the dry side yet still produces some moisture if smoked too fast. I first tried this blend a couple times in my MM Legend & did not fully appreciate the flavor until trying it in a briar.

A very good "Danish" style aromatic that's not too high in nicotine, but certainly an enjoyable smoke for someone who enjoys flavorful aromatics. It is now imported by STG/Lane & available in the US at several online retailers.

EDIT 9-17-15 : Upon further sampling & after stirring up the tin, I have noticed a difference in this tobacco. It is truly a Mellow Mixture if it is mixed well, I did not get the flavor explosions, just a more rounded flavor experience. I'm not sure if the black cherry flavor was accurate, I got more of a orange/lemon citrus-like taste mixed with a creamy caramel pastry flavor. It was much more enjoyable with the tobacco mixed up & less confusing of a smoke. Still as dry as it is when I rushed a bit I started to get some tongue bite, so keep the pace slow & mellow!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Bent Billiard, MM Legend

Age When Smoked: fresh to few weeks old

Purchased From: freebie from local B & M

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)

This one is a bit disappointing. It's just not all that much. Very little tobacco flavor. The Cavendish provides a pleasant aromatic flavor, but that's about it. There are many mild aromatics that are far superior to this, and it's basically collecting dust in the cellar.

Pipe Used: Various mm cobs

Age When Smoked: New in tin

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I was recently gifted several tins of Orlik blends not available in the United States. Mellow Mix is one of them. It reminded me (particularly in the way it is cut), of the old Amphora blends. Lightly sweetened in a natural sort of way, this Orlik offering is one that I think will please fans of aromatics greatly, yet, not turn off those who normally smoke unsweetened blends.

Mellow Mix burns cool and clean with barely moist dottle. Due to its very low nicotine content, I had to work at puffing slowly to enjoy the flavor. I followed up with a bowl of Five Brothers to satisfy my nicotine craving.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (104)

While the Orlik Club Mixture has a casing barely noticeable, this Mellow version’s casing is just a bit more intense, but still mild within the Danish classic range, not per se an aromatic. The casing reminds me of vanilla shortbread or something, subtle, supportive and pleasant. Except that, both blends are pretty much the same. Low on nicotine, mild in feel if not pushed and at the same time quite tasty. Low maintenance makes the checklist for an all day smoke or neophyte recommendation complete. Really enjoyed it.

Too bad this one is hard to get outside of Denmark. Similar Offerings would be Stanwell Jubilee or Mac Baren Original Choice, maybe the Sweet Dublin line.

Ordered two tins from P&C based on the two previous reviews. I concur with all that has been said in those reviews. I picked up on the chocolate and what appeared to be a fruity, sort of pineapple taste. What I find very pleasing is that the aromatic component is not the typical Danish candy-like approach. This one was more subtle than that and I was able to taste tobacco flavor as well, albeit mild. It also had a smokey quality to the smoke that I enjoyed. It did not smoke hot nor was there any moisture issues. A solid smoke and I plan on adding a pinch to some of my favs from time to time which are more stronger in tobacco taste like G&W Brown Flake Scented; for that added chocolatey element. Very well done and priced nicely too!

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin meer lined briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Orlik - Mellow Mixture.

After sniffing the pouch many times, as well as the chocolate, I'm sure I get a sort of All Spice aroma. At first, this is how the smoke tastes: a strange spicy/herby flavour overtakes the other's. But, this doesn't last; after a very short while (only a few minutes), this calms right down and makes space for a chocolaty, nutty taste, with a gentle caramel edge.

Of the tobacco's, I find the Virginia has the least strength in flavour. This might be because the Black Cavendish and Burley are married up with the sweet, nutty topping so well.

As has been pointed out by a few fellow reviewers, the nicotine's mild. To me, it actually seems very mild.

A low point, and also the paramount reason for awarding this only two points, is the tongue bite..... ow!

I think, after a few bowls and some deliberation, from my point of view, this is worth only somewhat recommending.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum Claw

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (79)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Intent on working through Orlik's new line of blends, this being the first outside the utilitarian Golden Slice, which should be - in my humble opinion - in the Hall of Fame for tinned tobacco.

So my thoughts on MM are that this blend may likely be the base blend for several of the most revered of our current aromatic blends... the Cavendish itself has some very minor alcohol scent to it, but at least for me when I smoked through this tin it seemed consistently like a basic Cavendish/burley blend... the base that would be perfect to accept any of a number of casings and toppings. The STG puts out lots of aros, but I have little experience with any of them that I am aware - still I can't shake the thought that this is the base for many of their aromatics. Besides the potential of some tongue bite at bowls-end, the interaction between burley and Virginias that transpire as the cavs burn off is nicely done. ...I just don't get any caramels, vanillas nor fruitiness that I could pin down to a set flavoring - rum perhaps? I did enjoy the blend but not enough to try again - although I am sure I will in some other aro format :)

Pipe Used: Meers and Briars