A blend of Virginia and Burley.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
2.0
DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Notes: This used to be made by the Pearl tobacco company, but now the pouched version alone is available from Orlik. The pouched version, I have found to be drier and less flavorful than the old tinned version, which I will review here. I have smoked a few hundred grams of this and it seems at home in most any pipe I put it in.

Appearance: A coarsely cut medium width ribbon of reddish brown, tan and dark brown leaf.

Aroma: The familiar Danish aromatic scent of sweet-sour cream cheese or Gouda is immediately present. Hay, pure Virginia tobacco flavors, and nori/seaweed as well.

Taste: If I could somehow be breathing warm water, I think it would taste like this. The flavors are very faint even for a Virginia-smoker like myself. Oatmeal! Corn bread, amaranth, Emmenthaler. Bran muffin, chewy wheat bread toast, black walnuts, plain tobacco flavor.

Comparisons: An honest straight burley blend is found few and far between without a heavy topping. Amongst this category, this is the most mellow, quietest, most restrained.

Bottom Line: For those who want gentle burley flavor from a superior leaf in a Danish cloak.