A blend of two types of Black Cavendish, ribbon cut Virginia and cut plug Burley.

BrandPorter House
Blended ByOrlik Tobacco Company A S
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Packaging40g Pouch, 50g Tin
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I am in no ways an aromatic smoker. Normally I smoke strong Va-blends, hard-core burley blends, and full balkans.

Now, since I like to have a stable everyday-blend that I can smoke when time does permit me to indulge and immerse myself in expensive quality blends, I need something that is enjoyable in a kind of... let's say ambient way.

Porter House fits the bill. This is really good leaf, and in no way drugstore leaf. Porter House is one of the oldest existing danish aromatics still on the market. The is no "modern" perfume in this, just deep nutty, sweet'n sour cavendish goodness, with a pinch of virginia and unflavored burley.

Imagine a hybrid of Dark fragrant with an extremely subdued element of Sweet Dublin.

There is just about enough nic in this to keep me satisfied, but I do agree with the above reviewers: a wee bit more strenght would suit Porter House. But then, you can't have it all, eh!?

Buy it at http://www.danishpipeshop.com (It is not listed, but they carry it. (it's only available here in Denmark))

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

What determines an aromatic? In my mind it's a question with many answers.. I usually detest aromatics - the ones that ared cased beyond tobacco recognition, with some artificial flavour and sugar by the kilo. This Porter House is kind of an aromatic, but not THAT kind. The double Cavendish may place this tobacco in the aromatic range, because it certainly smells like one. But the thing is, this mixture actually taste like it smells, unlike 90% of all aromatics I've tasted before.

I'm not sure whether it's cased or not (it most likely is, as 99% of all tobaccos are), but it's done to perfection here.

There's some good ol' buttery Burley in here, and that's what I taste alongside the Cavendish. The taste is almost as good as the tin aroma, and the tin aroma is almost as good as the room note. It smokes VERY easily - and that again makes me wonder whether or not to claasify it as an aromatic, because aromatics are kinda hard to smoke, and takes som practice. Porter House does not smoke hot nor wet, and it's just a delight to smoke.

Although I do sense the nicotine in there, it's not as full as I'd like. But for a pseudo-aromatic, I guess it's all you can get out of these tobaccos used.

Porter House Double Mixture by Orlik - I always have a tin at hand, and a couple of times a week, when my sweet tooth get's the best of me, this is what I'll crave. If The Solent (by Mac Baren) is the Sailor/Pirate's preferred everyday English, I guess this would be their once in a while candy.

I wish I could look up some info on this masterpiece, but I guess it's one of those very well kept secrets.

Anyways.. I believe this is made of 2 or 3 different top-plant Virginias, along with some decent Burley. Maybe the Cavendish is made from both Burley and Virginia here? It perplexes me, 'cause it IS a mild smoke, but at the buttom 1/3 you taste the nicotine from the Burley, in the same way as in toasted Burley (Kentucky).

Well...great tobacco makes you think doesn't it? So I guess I will classify Porter House as just that. Great smoke and highly recommended.

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Well what can one say to justify this truly amazing aromatic? It's a classic. Orlik is probably the most diverse brand in the world, and this insane mixture is a good representative of the aromatic scale perfection.

A good mix of burley cut plug and ribbon virginia, beautifully mixed with lots and lots of black cavendish. Yes, it is a sweet tobacco. But I've always found it somewhat naturally sweet, and the top-casing here is just hypnotizing.

The smoke is one of the coolest I've ever come across - smoke it like a madman, and it still behaves the way you want it! So this could actually be a beginners choice, as it doesn't produce any "gravy" in the bowl either.

So what is lacking? Why isn't Porter House the greatest mild aromatic in the world? Well that's exactly why, it's just at tad too mild. Could we keep the fantastic flavour, the intoxicating aroma, the raisin-smell of sweet virginias and the more than amazing smoking abilities AND add a little more 'body'? I don't know if it should be more burley-nicotine or some kentucky to boost it a little - but that's the only thing missing, from making Porter House the perfect all day aromatic. Because at this strength, you end up smoking a tin a day.

Porter House Double Mixture is and have always been in my regular rotation - it's a tobacco I can grab and carelessly throw in the bowl and just smoke it anywhere, anytime. But no matter what you're doing, you tend to stop doing it, finding yourself almost halucinating from the mesmorizing smoke.

If anyone out there knows of a similar tobacco, but with a little more strength, please don't keep it a secret!