A soft and sweet vanilla rounded out with a complex fruity background. Smooth, mild, and cool. It tastes as great as it smells.

BrandPrince Albert
Blended ByJohn Middleton, Inc
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Vanilla, Whisky
Strength
Taste

2.4
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This would be the tobacco I would recommend to a new smoker. It's mild, it's very soft as the name claims, it has a good flavor for such a mild blend, and it smells great in the room note. However, it is way to soft and mild for me and thus was not very satisfying. It is a multicolored mix of ribbon cut in the pouch with a terrific pouch aroma smelling fruity and vanilla like. It loaded very easy in the pipe, I found it to be moist but nut in the sticky, gummy way many aros are. It lit up with to lights and smoked down to a soft grey ash with very little dottle and not with any gunk in the bottom of my pipe. It has a very nice sweet, vanilla taste, but not very much of it. It did retain it's taste all the way down and did not lose it like a lot of vanilla blends. It was bite free, but I kept trying to smoke it faster and harder to get the delicous taste from it. If an inexperienced smoker did this, I'm sure it would scald their tongue. When puffed too fast, instead of more of the sweet taste, it tended to get bitter. This blend would not be one I would put in my cellar, it lives up to it's name and there sure are a lot worse blends.

teamporter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teamporter (1)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am a fairly new pipe smoker and have so far tried about 10 different tobaccos. I love the smell of this tobacco in the pouch. Like some of the other reviewers I found almost no taste when smoking it. It's not unpleasant, just not much there at all. I might just keep a pouch of this around to smell on occasion!

islandpadre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
islandpadre (2)

I found this at Costco a few years ago ($25 for a 9oz. bag) and decided to give it a try. The pouch aroma is great -- in fact the entire tobacco room at the Costco where I bought it reeks of vanilla thanks to a couple dozen bags of this stuff. It's not bad. It's not great either.

As others have noted, the pouch aroma is great. It's not a bad Cavendish blend. But there's not a whole lot of flavour to it -- too mild for me. I've also found that it needs to dry a bit before smoking. Right out of a fresh pouch it smokes very wet and very hot with lots of bite. It also gets very bitter when it burns hot, but that said, it's also got a consistent but mild bitterness to it all the time. My wife has a real nose for room note and complains that there's something "wrong" with this tobacco. Others seem to like it.

Overall, it's not a bad deal for the money if you want something cheap, but you can do a lot better.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Back when I first bought a pipe I bought a one pound bag of this and thought why did I ever start smoking a pipe. Luckilly I have moved on to truly great tobacco's. This tobacco isn't one of the greats. Use in desperation if you dare.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Similar to Captain Black Gold, which is to say that this is also a pale boring vanilla cavendish. This does not taste bad, but it doesn't taste good either. If you want a good vanilla aromatic, there are much better out there.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend has been out a number of years and I've come by it a few months back .It DOSENT bite . The wife digs the aroma . It isnt a vannilla bomb ... it's rather soft as it says . It burns nice and you get a full mouth of smoke . It's a touch moist but not to much . It is a mass market product after all . All in all a good quality Aromatic that is better than most . If you like aromatics then I'd say give this a shot . You'll probably be suprised . I've mentioned this blend to other smokers and have only gotten like reviews back . If you only like Vir or lat blends then you cant handle this stuff no doubt . A good quality blend w/ a burley undertone ... well done . I get 9 oz for 13.59 . Easy to afford :)

deadtouch66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deadtouch66 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

i am new to pipe smoking. i like anything vanilla flavored so generally i leaned towards trying something vanilla flavored so i went to my local smoke shop and purchased a bag of this. i was pleasantly surprised with pretty much every aspect of the smoking experience. it definitely was not a harsh smoke it was very soft and smooth. i enjoyed the taste. the vanilla was not overpowering but it was still there. the price was very low considering the value i put into this tobacco i plan on trying many other kinds of Tobacco as im sure all of you do but i will keep some of this stuff around. oh it also goes great with coffee =)

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Just as plain as Capt. Black Gold. Not bad, but not that good either... Hardly any taste, the room not is good though. Thats it.

Rollervm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rollervm (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I've smoked so far 2 pouches of this stuff, and everytime i do it is because people ask me to do so, the smoke smells great, but when you have it in your mouth you just can't get the taste of it, it also tastes bitter if you smoke it too fast, nice for a change of pace but there's better vanilla aromatics out there.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Have more than an occasional penchant for a good vanilla aromatic, this did not make the grade. I refer to this blend as the ?incredible steam machine? as I could detect no flavor but it produces prodigious amounts of mouth scalding steam.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Yes close to but not as harsh as Captian black white. Soft like the packaage says. A nice aroamtic with both light and dark tobaccos. A sweet blend that can gets tangy or orange tasting on and off. Pack easy no need to tamper just light it up. A real lady pleaser. A good smoke on a hot summers day. I am not a fan of vanilla blends becuase they often are a Virginia. The burley give this blend body and flavor. Nice stuff. REDDO

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

This is Prince Albert?s answer to Captain Black. It looks, smells and tastes similar to Captain Black. The difference between the two is in price. I found a place online that sells 9 ounce bags of this blend for $5.00. It doesn?t get much cheaper than that. There is nothing remarkable about this blend; it?s just a good, vanilla flavored aromatic. This is certainly not for those who require complexity in their tobacco or don?t like aromatics but if you want a respectable vanilla smoke that is dirt cheap and will be a crowd pleaser, then it?s hard to go wrong with the Prince.

Update: I've downgraded my review because I doubt that I will buy this again unless desperate. There is just too much good tobacco out there to waste money on this unless you can't get to your tobacconist.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

The local Rite Aid pharmacies and Food Lion grocery stores always seem to have this tobak on their shelves. In the realm of "drugstore" stuff PA Soft Vanilla is akin to the Capt. Blacks in looks, smell and taste, but the keyword here is "soft." It wasn't as bitey as some aromatics can be. I hadn't smoked this for some time now, until recently, but this one was my "cheapo" of choice in days gone by. I always had a package or two of this around. The broken/ribbon-like tobacco is mostly black w/dark browns and lighter browns w/veins of blonds. The vanilla casing is not overly heavy and poly-glycol seems to have been used in a restrained amount rendering the tobacco moist but not really sticky and wet. You'll still feel it on your fingers, but they won't stick together. Loads & lights well enough and does smoke cool and reasonably dry. Yes, there was a bit of dottle left @ bowls end and a bit of gurgle along the way. Smoking this in a filter pipe would be a good idea. The flavor was pleasant & sweet and LSW enjoyed the room aroma. I tried this again to refresh my memory & I still find it to be a satisfactory smoke, but as I rarely do aromatics like this anymore, I doubt that I will purchase much more of this. I still think it's pretty good though. Mind you, for newbies & aromatic fanciers this would be a very good choice, IMHO, and I feel it's one of the better OTC blends you can purchase especially if your really price-conscious. I've seen it priced in the range of $1.59-$1.89 per tri-fold pouch depending on the area & the store. OK for if you happen to not have any good stuff with you. Used to work for me, but it won't be a habit anymore.

SAINT95 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SAINT95 (1)

this is a very pleasant pipe tobacco. I was looking around when I was at my tobbaconist a few months ago and had a few extra dollars so I was looking for a pipe tobacco which was more flavorful than SWR aromatic ( its the only one I had smoked so far ) and saw prince alberts soft vanilla it was at the rigt price and the bag smelled simply amazing !!! I also picked up some carter hall pipe tobacco/ captain black royal/ and SWR regular. anyways out of the bunch as soon as I got back into my truck after purchasing this blend I just had to try it and it was delicious it smelled and tasted of vailla its not ver strong nut its there noticeable and pleasant plus made my truck smell very good an as a bonus my girlfriend loves the smell :-) if you are a new usuer or just someone who wants something flavorful to try that's sure to put a smile on your face try prince alberts soft vanilla its an excellent economical choice and doesn't burn all that hot unless you really puff away at it and iv never had any trouble getting it to burn. now if only they made it in those large tubs !!! hahaha if only they made a soft chocolate :-)

PSits my favorite blend I LOVE SOFT VANILLA !!!!!

Pipe Used: mershaum corncob pipe ( no filter )

Age When Smoked: right out of the store.

Purchased From: Tobbaco Hut, colonial heights VA

Falcon Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Falcon Fan (17)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

After running out of pipe tobacco mid-holiday and following on from my disaster purchase of Clan, the next port of call on my caribbean cruise offered up a variety of Prince Albert pipe tobacco's and I selected this one. I really enjoyed it - it didn't take much to light or stay alight but created smoke like a wet bonfire. this was a bit embarrassing, especially for a newbie and slightly self conscious pipe smoker, but it smelt great, tasted good, was a little bitey but not too bad and the smell gained approval from "the boss". I found it created a lot of goop and gunk at the bottom of the bowl that required some significant cleaning. A bit unrefined and I wouldn't probably go to too much effort to seek out another packet but an excellent stand in that I would be happy to smoke again.

Pipe Used: Brigham 02 Heritage straight billiard

peterpiper111 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterpiper111 (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Pretty soft when smoking. Soft smoke, not very strong. Very small hint of vanilla with combination of what tastes like bread or a cookie when smoked very slowly. It has a good, mild taste and to say the least, it pleases me for a few dollars less per pouch than other brands.

I recommend this blend to anyone who wants to try Vanilla Cavendish the cheap way. I must warn, do not get Smoker's Pride vanilla...you will hate yourself. I thought it was a good deal and to say the least, I have an entire jar of it. I might smoke it if the world ends and I can't get any other blend...that's how bad I hate it.

Pipe Used: Briar, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: 23

Purchased From: Local Smoke Shop

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was always told growing up "if you cant say something nice don't say anything at all" . . .

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have recently began trying old, "drugstore" blends, which I have not tried in twenty years. This was not one of my big ones back then and I can see why. This said, I will say that there is no much "wrong" with Prince Albert Soft Vanilla cavendish. It has a very good room note and smokes well. Once lit, it smoked all the way through with satisfying amounts of billowing smoke. It was easy to lite right out of the pouch. My inital problem with it was the flavor or, rather, the lack therof. For an "aromatic," there simply was not much flavor as I first lit up. About halfway through the bowl it began to develop a decent cavendish taste but never did taste very "vanilla." All in all I must say that I agree with those who say this is a good "beginner tobacco." I doubt that I shall be purchasing anymore unless I am on the road and this is all I can find. I would not be sorry to have it but I would prefer to put my money into better blends. I will add that my girlfriend simply loves the room note on this tobacco.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)

Prince Albert in the can. HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAAHHA. I bought this tobacco for that reason. All joking aside. Over all this is a nice tobacco. When smoking it gives you an "old world" feel. As a historical side note Prince Albert and King Edward are the same person. He is quoted as saying "Gentlemen you may smoke" when he became king. I belive Prince Albert pipe tobacco and King Edward cigars are named in his honor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This was not one of my favorite tobacco's until I tried another pouch of it today. Usually when I would open the package I would find it to be too dried out. When I tried it again today, I really seemed to enjoy it. This time is was not too moist but just right for my liking. It burned very well and did not have any bite at all. I would really recommend this to someone who wants a cheap but pleasant pipe tobacco.

dsltrkr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dsltrkr (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Its ok if your out and you got to buy at store for emegency.Thats what i did.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I really really wanted to love this stuff, but I just can't get there. I guess I expected BCA with a Burley flavor, and that is not what I got at all. Tastes like a cheap cigar, which I can deal with, if not for the room note...some people may love it, but I thought it smelled awful. Sure there's that "aromatic" thing going on, but it sort of smells like a cheap imitation of your grandfather's vanilla cavendish. I did not like much about this smoke, but it's definitely not the worst I've ever had and I can understand why some people might enjoy it. For me, however, it's a no-go.

Countryboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Countryboy (3)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

When viewing my reviews, one must remember that I was a cigarette smoker for 50+ years and am just returning to my pipes. I find this a very mild non-biting smoke. It's good enough for a change but not enough kick for constant use. I, so far, like Burleys and Burley Brights. It seems to smoke coolest and best in a cob pipe.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

All in all a good smoke. No bite, burns well, and is inexpensive. The pouch note is not as pronounced as I would have imagined, very little vanilla scent which worried me a bit. Upon smoking, there is just a hint of it so if you are looking for a vanilla "kick", this isn't it. I like this much better than PA's Cherry Vanilla, it is more mild and easier to smoke and no aftertaste. I was quite surprised by this blend, it really is my favorite of all the Prince Albert products. I will definitely add this to my regular rotation and I look forward to using it to blend with. Really a good value and a just plain decent smoke.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Nice little dry,vanilla aromatic.Can burn hot if you push it.Pretty good value overall.I have had much,much more expensive pipe tobaccos that were not nearly as pleasant.Not earth shaking but I will keep it around.

Tripp_655321 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripp_655321 (6)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

BE CAREFUL! This has no flavor! inorderto taste the vanilla, you will burn yourself. The pouch smell is very pleasant... makes ya wanna eat it. My Mother lovesthe smell of this stuff but it's not quite strong enough for my taste. If you wantsoething to smell good, smoke it. If you want a good flavor.... DON'T

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like these line to be those early morning pipe with mi cup of coffee. The taste is very mild but pleasant, lights up easy,lots of smoke, the wife loves the room note but like most OTC tobacco there's just no NC on this fella. The only reason i have it it's because it was given to me.

Have to say it's a good change of pace once in a while.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (17)

I'll start by saying that I like Prince Albert its my rescue tobak. (If I have a cold , burned tongue its my smoke) This being said I had never tried the Prince's other offerings untill recently when a friend gave me a bag. Knowing full well you get what you pay for,... Now I hate the thought of saying this, but here goes "I WAS WRONG!" I was only wrong once in my life (I thought I was wrong but later found out that I was wrong)!

This tobacco is a less harsh match for Cpt. Black White, easy to pack and light , no bite, burns easy, but a little fast. A little milder than I usually prefer (thats why its a 3 star) but a nice all day smoke. Having been pleasently surprised I will NOW try the Princes other offerings with an open mind try it before you condemn it, who knows you might be surprised also. (and you would not like to be wrong) hoo-boy

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is a well balanced vanilla burley blend. In the hot weather I've been smoking this in my aromatic pipes and enjoying it quite a bit. I mix it half and half with Velvet for a very aromatic burley smoke. Not too much goop, wonderful fresh (not artificial tasting) vanilla flavor and it's cheap and readily available. Reccomended especially considering the price.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

While this is very remenicent of Lane's RLP 6, it tastes better, burns better and has a better price ($5.00 for 9 ounces). If you love RLP 6/Captain Black, then smoke this instead and save some money.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I picked this up with a recent on-line tobacco order thinking it would be like the regular Prince Albert with a vanilla topping. It's nothing like that at all. This is a mix of Black Cavendish (90%) and Virginia Bright and is a very appealing looking Black and Gold mixture. Opening the bag, you're hit with one of the best pouch aromas ever. It's vanilla, but nothing like I've found before. It's very similar to C&D's Mocha or Espresso blends meaning that there's a lot of different flavors coming out that aren't "just vanilla" (or coffee or whatever, etc.). Others have compared this to the Captain, but I think it's much better and way more complex tasting. Taste is sweet and vanilla and the room aroma is fantastic also. It lights fairly easy for being so moist and burns down with no problem and a few swipes of a cleaner. The ash is one of the whitest I've seen in a heavy aromatic and there's very little wet dottle at the end. Price was 9oz for 5 bucks. I think of this as a better version of Lane's RLP-6. I'm really glad I took a chance on this blend now.