Mild, satisfying blend of whiskey-flavored, quality tobaccos.

BrandSmoker's Pride

2.6
Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The pouch and room aromas are mild and pleasant. I cannot taste the whiskey in this blend, but more of a faint maple taste. If you like Autumn Evening, but don't like the bite of maple extract, give this a try. Compared to the pouch description, my review may make this seem give the false impression that the taste is bland. That is not the case. This is much, much better than Borkum Riff's Bourbon Whiskey and probably not even in the same class apart from the manufacturers' descriptions. This is not overwhelming at all. Probably the best value tobacco out there and I wish it was sold locally.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Purchased a 12 oz. bag earlier this week. It's been quite a while since I've smoked any whiskey type blend. Funny though, I seem to be coming full circle from my early days of pipe smoking (age 19). My taste buds have matured since then. Aromatics are out and non-aromatics are in. This blend fits the latter beautifully. Especially considering, that I prefer Sutliff blends,Velvet,Rowland Platinum,Carter Hall and Sail in my rotation. SPW has a nice body, the right amount of spicy overtones, gets slightly sweeter toward the middle of the bowl and leaves a very pleasant room note. I detect a hint of cherry and anise somewhere in the mix. It burns hot if smoked too fast. So take it slow and remember to tamper often. I know the standard when drinking whiskey is to consume it in shots, but I take the opposite approach: one sip at a time. That's how to smoke SPW. This is a solid non-aromatic that acts like an aromatic. Don't expect fireworks, just a good old fashioned smoke-Cavendish and Whiskey. Nothing fancy just plain nice. Like that tape of tropical lounge music I play every now and then when I want to mellow out and dim the lights. Ah, nice....SPW will be in my rotation from now on. Time to dim the lights, put on some lounge music, drink a sniffer of brandy and smoke a bowl.

P.S. If you see a lot of stems in your SPW don't be alarmed be thankful. It means SP uses high quality leaf-the whole leaf! No reconstituted sheet shag. Hallejuiah!!

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Great smell out of the bag and the room note is very nice. The whiskey taste is the only reason to buy this because you're not going to taste much else. It'll burn much better if you dry it well first, and you'll also avoid the goopy bottom bowl syndrome, too. If you smoke it dry, go slow or your tongue will not be happy with you. For a cheap smoke, this will do. It's not a great blend nor does it pretend to be. In my opinion, it's better as an outdoor smoke. Take for what it is, and if you like mixtures in this genre, you'll probably like it okay.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

To be honest this is not a brand I would usually buy seeing that I'm not a fan of bulk tobacco.

Well I bought some today because it was a great deal and looked appealing. It came in a 12 ounce bag that rather looked cheap in my opinion but the tobacco looked just fine. The price was $19 dollars which is a great deal for anything tobacco related in this tough economy.

Upon opening the bag it smelled strong of casing/topping. I don't normally smoke tobaccos that smell like this, also I detected some nicotine which led me to believe it would be alright.

Once I lit the tobacco in my new pipe I figured I had wasted my money until I had tamped it down about 2 times. For some odd reason it got more flavorful every time I tamped it down. Honestly it did bite alot at first but got smoother as it burned.

The second bowl about half an hour ago prior to writing this review was much better once I had experience with the new tobacco. My Medico V.F.Q. bulldog makes every tobacco really amazing for some reason although I have no idea why. Not so much tongue bite this time around so I puffed it a little faster than the last time. The small bowl burned for about 25 minutes.

Conclusion: If you want a decent bulk tobacco for a good price, put some thought in buying this one. It really is a good cheap aromatic, I can say that even though I prefer alot of English blends now. Another advantage of this tobacco is that I can clearly judge it will last at least over 2 months if I smoke it five times a day. And the most important thing to remember is that it tastes good for being cheap. Enjoy!

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Right off the bat I allowed this stuff to dry out with one end of the bag left open for a couple of weeks. Once the moisture seemed more in line I packed my pipe with a slightly stiff packing. This is bargain bag tobacco, therefore stems and bits did need to be picked out when packing the bowl. At $12.99 for a 12oz bag, this seemed a reasonable chore. Taste: Athough this is an aromatic, the tobacco flavor does come through very well. It isn't strong by any means. But is clearly present. Some other OTC aromatics I've tried seemed to not have any tobacco flavor at all. I personally like the tobacco taste. There was a slight bitter note in the first quarter of the bowl, however it quickly faded as the smoke progressed. Not a hint of bite at all. I suspect my extra drying is reason for the absence of bite. It was too wet and needed extensive drying, which I provided. I also suspect this bag also well aged. It had a healthy centimeter of dust on it at the store. Nothing else in there seemed dusty at all. Aging appears to improve many tobaccos. And to be honest, this stuff is simply the most delicious aromatic I've had. I know, that's a contradiction to about every other review about this stuff. But it is delicious. Room Note: The whole family is liking the room note. No complaints. Final thoughts: I will buy this again. I may have to age it for 5 years to get here again. But if that is what it takes, so be it. At least the stock will be cheap.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)

Got a large pouch of this for a song. Do I taste whiskey? Notsomuch. Did it bite? Yessir! The trick is dry it out a bit. Open Mason jar for a few hours, and you've got yourself a good all day smoke. Just enough sweetness to satisfy my candy cravings, not enough whiskey to keep me out of the bottle. Bottom line, if you've yet to learn to sip your smoke, dont hurt yourself. Cheers!!!

jimmy_C Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimmy_C (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I am a beginner Pipe smoker. I picked this up because its pretty much all my local smoke shop had. On opening smelled great. was moist but looked good packed well and lit well. the smell was nice my wife said she liked it. I thought more of the whiskey flavor whould come threw. In this review i smoked it out of a Dr Graboe bent "Duke" was a nice smoke. It can burn hot if you puff to hard. better at the end. In a larger bowl I think this would be good. This is a cheap and enjoyable smoke easy on the pocket book and as I said my wife like the room note. POINTS! she said to her is smelled more like aged brandy. taste wise I would agree dry brandy comes to mind. but all and all I keep smoking this and all in all a good starter tobacco. doesnt bite but can. enjoyable daily smoke on a budget.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)

For the value, I highly reccomend this blend and brand. While the whiskey note isn't very strong, it is somewhat noticeable. I payed $13, tax and all, for 12 oz of this. That equals to around a dollar an ouce which is surprisingly good! When I splurge on premium tobacco it usually costs me $3-4 per ounce, and Smokers Pride is ALMOST as good. This is a good budget, everyday smoke for when cash is tight, or if you are like me, the nearest pipe&cigar store is an hour and a half away.

Only criticism is that this blend gives a lot of bite. I am going to try the SP Black cavindish though.

harvestnpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
harvestnpeace (3)

Recently since the rising cost of tobacco products, I started really looking into Budget bulk buying. I overlooked Smokers Pride bulk poly bags for a long time (I mainly am a pouch hopper!).A week ago & seeing this on here with decent reviews, I went & bought a 12oz. bulk. A Big Surprise!The tobacco looked really quite good in the bag, (1st time actually picking it off the rack at the tobacco shop).*I am not going to compare this with any other tobaccos I like Better Or Worse, I will just say my experience with this perticular smoke. Upon opening this bag, the aroma was rather a surprise, not too strong & I could smell the tobacco smell as well as the flavor, in wich I personally usually don't like a to overpowering cavendish aromatic. It was Moist, But expected in a large bag but just the right moistness to my likings. It packed easily.one light it lit up, No problems lighting & it was in a Large bowl. The taste after I got puffing Was very pleasant (to me exactly as good as it smelled). I kicked back & puffed lightly, as A tendency to draw to hard or puff non stop got a bit hot, but easily & quickly it will cool in seconds if smoked lightly! It is Budget pipe smoke, But found It is well worth buying. I found no bite, just a nice tasting smoke & a rather surprisingly great whiskey taste for a budget minder bag.Thus being said, It was good, & have been enjoying it while going back & forth with other pouches & blends, As I do love a wide variety of pipe tobaccos! Like beers or wines, or cigars, variety in this is the spice of life, I realised after being a long time pipe smoker, sometimes you can find a great smoke in bulk at a price that is economical in these days of money coming into a factor now.This way I can still buy other favorites in pouches or buy less amounts of my all time favs in bulk. I am keeping budget in mind now.BOTTOM LINE- I like this blend, It's a very relaxing smoke! when I have time for a longer smoke, It tastes way better in a large bowl & Be gentle on your puffs & its very pleasant! A good deal & a nice surprise & good taste & smells very nice! Tastes change for me, so I will keep buying SP bulk bags to keep around for rotation of blends! Recommended to a beginner or anyone who likes a good flavor that wont overpower the tobacco.This is the best cheaper whiskey blend I have tried in my opinion. Try it You might like it!

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I give this three stars mostly for affordability at 3.49$ a 1.5oz. pouch its pretty good, not to mention one of the best Whiskey blends I have tried. I would buy this over MacBaren Uncle Louie's Whiskey, or Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. For one the Whiskey is actually recognizable as a flavor much like Peterson's Irish Whiskey. I don't lump the Irish Whiskey with the others though it is a different flavor all together.

It smokes well although has some lighting issues, it can burn hot but usually it behaves itself til the end. There is sometimes a tendancy to get carried away with puffing which really makes the pipe hot, I think it works best in an Apple or a Bulldog style pipe and even better in a bent pipe. My Personal Notes have this as a 6.7 so I won't be smoking much of it except when I want something cheap and good. Give me this and Carter Hall and I am set with Grocery Store Regualr and Aromatic.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful smell in the pouch, that did not translate to a very good smoke. There is a saying; you don't cook with wine that you wouldn't drink. By that reasoning, you shouldn't case tobacco with whiskey that you wouldn't drink. Not awful, but no reason to visit this again.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a bad aromatic blend in the drug store sense of the term. It is not exactly goopy or exceedingly sweet. It has a rather pleasant smokiness, similar to Grand Old Dad. It can bite.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought this and a pouch of the Vanilla Smoker?s Pride early into my pipe smoking days. I figured at $1.99 each for a 1.5 oz pouch if I didn?t like it, no huge money loss that might entice me to finish the pouches anyway. I was delightfully surprised. It was very easy to pack, easy to light and gave off a nice aroma. The Whiskey flavoring was more subtle than Borkum Riff?s Whiskey, was actually a welcomed change as I never really cared for Borkum?s Whiskey flavoring. I found that the flavoring tastes more like real whiskey but not over powering like more whiskey flavored pipe tobaccos, allowing that natural tobacco flavoring to come through. This was actually one of my first steps into tobaccos that had a more natural flavor without going straight to totally non-flavored. Call this a gateway tobacco if you will. Great for new smokers that want to ease their way into non flavored or lightly flavored tobaccos without the bite of some of the more expensive flavored offerings. Granted, if smoked hard and hot, this will bite a bit, but in a corn cob or Dr. Grabow filtered pipe, this is a nice, relaxing smooth smoke that I still keep in my weekly rotation. When price and availability are factored in, this is definitely one I will always keep even if I smoke a bowl once a week. Reccomened to flavored lovers and newer smokers alike.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

When I opened the bag to this blend I was expecting something along the lines of Borkum-Riff Bourbon Whiskey but it is actually quite different. This blend has much more of a sweet and sour smell with a trace of stewed fruit. This aroma didn?t impress me. However, the taste and room aroma when smoking this pleasantly surprised me. It wasn?t as bad as I thought it would be. It tasted similar to the bag?s smell but not as stout. The bowl started a little bitter but mellowed by the midway point and even took on a mild sweetness the rest of the way. I don?t know if I would purchase this again because it?s not great tobacco but I will at least enjoy smoking the rest of the bag. A decent, cheap aromatic.