A blend of aged burley, and a touch of red Virginia. Giving a cool smoke and a dark nutty aftertaste.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Taste
2.2
Boerlum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boerlum (3)

I think this is a misunderstood tobacco. It brings noting new - oh really? It has been on the shelves at all tobacco sellers in Denmark since the 1940s, so no wonder that it brings noting new. What it brings to the table is pure, honest tobacco, without any add-ons, plug-ins, bells and whistles.

Rubbed out, it packs easy and takes light on the first match, after which it can be smoked quit cool and slow to the bottom of the bowel. The first 1/2 to 2/3 of the bowel is off semi sweet Virginia, as the smoke progresses the taste becomes a bit darker, the taste of burly becomes more dominant without taking over. This is not a complex or complicated tobacco - it is just tobacco.

The room note is that of burning tobacco, not everybody like it and if you do not, you may what to search for something else, like incense Sticks or scented candles.

This tobacco works really well as a base for blending. My all day, everyday smoke is about 2/3 Everton and 1/3 Mac Baren mixture Scottish blend. In practise it usually goes like this; 5x38g pouches of Everton and 1x100g tin of Mac Baren mixture Scottish blend, rubbed out and blended in a big bowl, then stuffed in a jar. Has all the attributes of a good all day smoke and I have smoked it in strong winds, without any issue or tongue bite.

Pipe Used: Stanwell no. 12, no. 32, Savinelli 504

Purchased From: Any were

Orlik - Everton.

I must admit, I'd never even heard of this until I stumbled across it on The Danish Pipe Shop's website. "Worth a try" I thought!

When I opened the pouch I liked what I saw; a set of medium brown, fairly coarse, well hydrated ribbons. The pouch's nose has very little to feel the same way about though; slightly hay like and lots of wood, nothing extraordinary.

Once it's in the pipe and lit the smoke's flavour is very reminiscent of that aroma. The main taste I get is the woody one. It's okay at first but after about five minutes it becomes boring; it could really use some Perique or something else to add more character to it.

The nicotine quantity doesn't need a Perique boost though; it's medium and no more but that's fine by me!

I find that once it's burning the flavour doesn't really fluctuate any. It seems to be woody from start until the finish!

This would do in an emergency; when, exactly the term 'emergency' could be used in association with pipe smoking I'm unsure but if that did crop up this would do!

Not boring enough for one star but certainly not good enough for anymore than two.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Morgan Pot Blackjack

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This blend says that it consists of more burley than virginia. I don't think that is a fact. Opening the pouch and smelling this weed, it reminds me of a stout "working-class"-version of Golden Sliced without that tea-like flavour.

There's not much to it actually; a plain (not bland) everyday smoke. Good for outdoor use. It doesn't bite at all and it provides medium nicotine.

It's nice, but it doesn't ring my bells......

This cut plug is available in a flake version, there is no difference except for the cut.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (82)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I ordered seven of the Danish OTC blends recently. After the now discontinued Larsen's Flake, this is my second favourite of the bunch. Mostly burley, it has just enough Virginia tobacco to liven up the experience; for me anyhow...tastes vary.

I found it similar to Mac Baren's Symphony, though biased somewhat more towards the burley. I would say if you like Symphony or Golden Extra, you'll like this. I don't find it different enough from those two blends to go to the trouble of special ordering it.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipeshop

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Symphony, Mac Baren - Golden Extra.

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

One of the most generic and bland tobaccos I've ever tasted. Well I think this could do good for beginning pipesmokers, transitioning from cigarettes or cigars. If you do like the taste of burley, and you need that nicotine, this could do the trick.

I find both taste and aroma more of an "old mens tobacco", and I really can't say anything good about it. Oh yes, it does make your clothes reek of cheap cigars...but I guess that's not a good thing.