A blend of light Virginia, mild Burley and Black

None Detected, Mild, Mild to Medium
Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

In denmark, Wattson's is the closest competitor to Orlik Golden Sliced and some MBs. Golden Sliced, along with Mac Baren's Mixture, is probably the most sold drugstore blend around these parts.

I really do understand why.

When i read reviews (mostly from foreigners (read: non-danish)), Golden Sliced is considered a semi-high quality blend. Tobacco connoiseurs in this country (snobs if you like) like my self look at GS as an inferior blend.

I really do not understand why (and I think I'll quit, doing that)

This is good weed actually. Compared to many other goopy blends like Captain Black, Borkum Riff etc, this is high quality!

Cross cut Burley, VA and semi-sweetened cavendish (non-perfumed) in very moderate amounts, this blend will do good for any occasion in any pipe. Its not refined, nor complex, but good honest tobacco to suit any occasion.

Normally I think, when someone reviews a blend as: "good for outdoor smoking, when weeding out the garden" or: "a nice blend when working in the woodshop" etc etc, that said blend is a cheap and uninteresting tobacco. Why does it have to be like this, since these activities, IMHO, is some of the best times a man can ever have for himself? (well there's good food, rock music, soccer, women and so on and so forth - but that's another story)

Ergo: This is not Dunhill, State Express or Balkan Sobranie, but it is what is it is: a loyal companion, when doing stuff that really matters. That's why it's so damn good!

Orlik-Wattson's Original American Blend. This is a surprisingly good smoke.

When I had their Special Mixture I can't say I was its greatest fan, I found it a hot/unpleasant smoke. From opening the tin up it didn't impress me, it was too tightly packed and moist. This arrives in a completely diametric condition.

I'm happy upon opening it up because it's not too damp nor tightly packed into the tin.

Other than the condition I enjoy the aroma. It's not a really aromatic one but a subtly sweet one. Like there's a tiny amount of honey included in the mix.

I fill and light immediately after opening it up. Maybe a slight portion of time to let it air would benefit this blend but mine was easily lit directly from the can.

In the smoke I can't really identify much added flavouring. The taste I do get is mainly a sweet and nutty natural one. Like the aroma it's reminiscent of maybe having a small amount of something like honey or sugar included.

Going on the taste I would concur the Virginia has been added quite sparingly. The Burley and Cavendish are far more powerful.

The smoke doesn't bite and is at a comfortable temperature. It does become warm if it's really sucked hard but if smoked in a relaxed manner it gives good smoke.

I find the nicotine quite mild. It's not overly weak but it still would probably disappoint N smokers.

In all this is quite a decent smoke. Not brilliant but easily worth three stars.

Pipe Used: GBD Oom Paul

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Good "all round" tobacco. Havent smoked it for a long time now but I remember it as a good experience.