Small, loose disks, similar to Three Nuns (tin version). Virginias and Perique. No casing.

BrandWessex
Blended ByWessex
ContentsVirginia, Perique
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste

This is sort of like the baby brother of the VaPer Three Nuns in that it's uninformed by comparison. It's sweeter, and sort of tart at times. The sweetness comes as much from the topping as it does the Virginias, which did not thrill me much. The description for this blend said there's no casing, and that is untrue. The perique does very little for this blend, and is a very minor player. If the blender had Three Nuns in mind -and he must have - he failed nearly completely. On its own merits, it's just a so-so over priced blend. It's smokable and not at all unpleasant, but it just doesn't do much for me. It's not flat tasting, it's just boring.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a fan of Wessex Classic Virginia and Campaign flake, so I thought Sovereign would be worth a try. As another reviewer mentioned, it appears in the tin a lot like the current version of Three Nuns. However, I enjoy Three Nuns more. I have not yet smoked MB Roll Cake so I can’t make a comparison although both of those blends have some Burley, this blend doesn’t have any. The small coins pack easily enough. The brighter Virginias seem to rule the day, and I guess there is some Perique here too. I say I guess, because it is added so lightly that I found myself searching for it. There is some manually added sweetness to Sovereign too although the description claims none. It will burn a little hot if pushed so puffers beware. I like VaPers with deeper flavors like Escudo, St. James, and Deluxe Navy Rolls etc. so this wasn’t in my wheelhouse. If you are a fan of lighter VaPers that are light on the Perique, than this is your blend. It isn’t an awful tobacco and I am hoping that my remaining two tins will offer a pleasant surprise after three or four years in the cellar.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Extremely disappointing. Absolutely not a VaPer to my sense of taste. This tastes just like a MacBaren roll cake, and I don't say that just because it is a spun cut. I say that because as soon as I light this up I'm overwhelmed with sugar-syrupy sweetness.

I almost wonder if I have a different blend than other reviewers as this is obviously not VA sweetness. My tin says "Piquant 1840's RoyalNavy formula" - well, no clue what that means but this isn't what I've experienced with other "navy" blends.

Perique content is minuscule. I can usually still taste it small amounts - in this I taste none, only the sugar topping used.

If you like sweet VAs with a topping, there's nothing wrong with that. This might be right up your alley, but not what I want in a VaPer. I'm rating as 1 star even though it is not terrible tobacco per se, and I know some people will really like it. But definitely 1 star (zero maybe) to my tastes coming to this looking for a VaPer. And as DK points out, for the price you might as well save some money and try the MacBarens. Value is bad here, too.

If you're looking for an actual VaPer that tastes like VA and Per tobacco, seek out Escudo/Dunhill Navy Rolls, McClelland's St James Woods/Beacon Extra, or Gawith's St James Flake.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

There is some red Virginia here, but the dominant flavour is of something very like a supple semi-sweet English tea biscuit. To that is added the Périque which bubbles up on top, peppery and buzzy like Champagne or, if you wish, sparkling hard cider. I love it. I normally prefer some further oomph down below, which the old Three Nuns certainly had and this one certainly does not. All in all though, this is a completely delightful offering. Perfect for Summer smoking.

zunismoke5484 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zunismoke5484 (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have read a number of the reviews for Sovereign and I wonder if quite a few of them are being reviewed using relatively fresh tobacco. I have no way to compare using fresh tobac, as I only have aged specimens. That said, I find the tobac(aged) to be of excellent flavor and the perique to be of sufficent quantity to be quite satisfying! The only tobacco I can recall that has more pungency is Elizabethan. I Find both the flavor and pungency to be uniform from first light to the bottom of the bowl. Igive this one 4 stars! I have changed the room note after asking my wife(no like).

Pipe Used: Jen Briar, Astley's sandblast stack

Purchased From: Private

Similar Blends: Peter Heinrichs - Curly Special (Special Selection).

I really wanted to like this tobacco more, as it is nearly everything I like in a VaPer. A friend who is a VaPer fan that I shared some with used adjectives like 'delightful,' and 'smooth.' I found it a bit boring, on the other hand, and even a little bitey at times, but on the hole, a fairly solid if unexciting VaPer.

With all respect to the two previous reviewers, I find no similarities here to the MB roll cakes other than appearance. My tin is from 2003, and maybe there was a difference in other time periods, but I just get quality Virginia with a touch of Perique here. Truth be told, I like MB roll cakes as well, though I prefer them to be well-aged (think 1980s), since the younger ones tend to bite me a bit. This is my favorite of the Wessex blends I've tried, and though I'm sure there is a subtle topping (nearly undetectable to me), it is nothing like the Mac Baren topping, and the Virginias really shine! Like I said, I do like MB roll cakes, and like the roll cake style in general, but this one is good for when I'm all Mac Barened out, but still want a roll cake, just because it is so different in taste! Now, I know blends can vary from year to year and even from tin to tin, but the tin I'm smoking from contains one of the most perfectly balanced Virginias I've ever put in my pipe.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

I am surprised this has so few reviews.. this is a fantastic va/per.. More on the sweet end of the va/per spectrum, this puts me in mind of dunhill navy rolls more than escudo.. very nice, well- behaved, balanced tobacco. I havent had the pleasure of trying any of the incarnations of three nuns, so i cant compare them. but for me this is perfection. the tin aroma is very subtle, an interesting spice aroma.. during the smoke the perique comes and goes, sometimes strong sometimes subtle.. a little sourness, which is always nice when paired with the predominant sweetness. I will stock up on this one for sure. i am curious to try more of wessex other offerings now.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I love this blend, it is by far the best vaper I have tried. Sweeter than Frog Morton OTB, much smoother than Escudo with no harshness. A bit milder than Old Gowrie and much more refined than McClelland 2105. The fullness of flavor makes this blend perfect to me. And very satisfying!

The tin note is sweet virginia. Small round coins the size of a dime make packing the pipe easy. Perfect burn and moisture. Just a lovely professional presentation.

A full taste virginia with a sweet high and round bottom spiced with a slight pepper tang from the perfect amount of smooth perique. The aftertaste is amazing, pure tobacco, no casing, no tongue bite (unless you are freezing in the garage and puffing fast).

If you enjoy Escudo or Old Gowrie you must try Brigade Sovereign, costs more but worth every dollar. I put up ten and will buy some on every order. By the way, what is 3 nuns?

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I heard BSCC is very much like Three Nuns, so I gave it a try. I've never smoked Three Nuns, so I wanted to see what all the talk was about. This is not a cheap blend. I paid about $22.00 for 100 grams. The tin contains an air-tight pouch which holds some of the most beautiful tobacco I've ever seen: small coins or discs of golden brown and dark tobaccos. The pouch aroma is out of this world. It smells like a very mature Virginia that has been aged for a year or two. I smell a little bit of a tart apple smell (fermentation?). Someone told me this blend has a little apple cider added. Maybe I just got this stuck in my head and now I smell the apple cider. I've asked others if they smell it and most don't. I let it dry a little before packing. Sometimes I rub it out, but most time I just stuff the coins in the bowl. Today I smoked BSCC in a large Cavicchi freehand. It was sensational. It is quite sweet, not in an aromatic sense, but in a mature Virginia sense. It is smooth, complex, and does not bite like so many Virginias can do. The blend is supposed to contain perique, but I don't really notice it. This is a wonderful blend and I think many Virginia lovers would love it also. Highly recommended.

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Tin Note: The Blend had that same vinegar smell that va/pers usually have but this one also had an iced tea note to it.

Initial Light: Only took 2 false lights to get a nice burn going, flavor kicked off with some nice mild spicy hints from the perique.Burn was kinda fast but even none-the-less.

Mid-Smoke: The mild spice continued to the beginning of the mid-bowl, there wasn't much of a sweetness to the smoke but more like a wood tasting flavor, old cedar furniture taste. As i preceded through the mid-bowl i began to pick up slight hints of plum and fruit. The bowl was a bit hot but the smoke was even hotter i was getting a tingle on the tip of my tongue but that's all it was just a tingle, no bite.

Bottom of the Bowl: The spiciness eased down a bit and made room for more of the fruity plum flavor which increased as i smoked further down, the smoke itself was a lot cooler now but the flavor maintained its mildness.

Room Note: Not much to say wife said it just smelled like a pipe/cigar, which by the way shes not a fan of smell wise.

Dottle: It left a mixture of dark and white ash but the bottom was wet, i didn't get any gurgle or moisture through the stem during the smoke but it was really wet near the draft hole.

Smoking Duration: 35 min

Overall: This is a blend that starts off spicy, gets hot and then ends with a savory taste rather then a sweet one. I didn't find it horrible, but it was a bit annoying to smoke in between the spicy and savory, where it didn't know what it wanted to be. During that time i felt like i was sucking in hot air. So the beginning and end of this smoke was the highlights but even still i don't think it was worth a replay.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 1987 POY

Age When Smoked: 4-5years

Purchased From: Sample From a Friend

Pipenutt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipenutt (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Being a Escudo lover I can't say this is anywhere near it but, is definitely a Vaper that I go to quite often. On opening the tin you smell a peppery aroma mixed with light Virginia's. It's moist, maybe just a bit too moist because I have a hard time keeping it lit. It smokes smooth with just a hint of bite from time to time but, delivers just the right amount of nic with a marvelous flavor. Can't compare it to MB or 3 Nuns not having tried either. But, it's one that I definitely will keep on hand and enjoy between Escudo smokes.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE 5/24/13

As I had purchased two tins of this, I popped the second to see if a few more months of age had changed this. Nope. I actually gave two bowls worth each to 4 other smokers, 3 of which guessed it to be a Mac Baren's blend (the 4th guessed a Stokkebye). Their tasting comments pretty much mirrored my own... overly sugary virginia and cavendish blend with no perique and a pretty fair masking of the tobacco taste. My original 1 star rating stands, not because this is a bad blend - it isn't - but because I'd recommend that if someone wanted this type of blend, they should save money and buy Mac Baren's. And also because this is advertised as a VaPer and the perique is completely MIA.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 12/17/12

Cute little spun discs of light brown to golden color. Tin aroma was of zero perique, a bit of virginia and a whole lotta topping. Smelled like a Mac Baren roll cake. Unfortunately, it tasted like one as well.

I agree with Rintrah's review. As a Vaper, this fails miserably. It's probably the worst representation of that genre that I've ever smoked. The perique was missing in action and the virginias were much sweeter than they should have been, due to the Mac Baren-esque syrupy, pastry-like topping, a flavor I find nauseating. This saccharine taste covers up most of the tobacco flavor. I could only smoke a few bowls of this and nothing I did to this one elevated it to smokable for me. I smoked it moist and dry and it never changed. This is to Three Nuns what a powdered donut is to corn chips. No casing on this one? Yeah... sure....

The problem I see with this one is that I can't recommend it to any serious VaPer aficionado because it doesn't fit that style. The style it does fit is done to perfection by Mac Barens, and at a much reduced price. Consequently, I can't find anything that this brings to the marketplace that isn't done better or cheaper by someone else, and as such I cannot recommend it to anyone.

itsKoit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
itsKoit (5)

A great VA/Per! The disks loosen up easily into a chunky shag which fills a pipe rather delightfully. Lights easily with no bite whatsoever, even when provoked. The virginias they used are sweet and flavorful and are kept in a nice balance by the perique. A very approachable VA/Per for the newbie and seasoned veteran alike. Very highly recommended!

McAdder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McAdder (10)

I opened my tin and was happy to see sugar crystals all over the nicely cut discs of tobacco. The taste has a more maple syrup-ish flavor than the Orlik produced Three Nuns I bought while on vacation in Amsterdam, NL. Although this is not a review of the new Three Nuns, it is kind of difficult not to compare the two since they look so similar when held side by side. Additionally, I think this blend will be my daily smoker. On a side note, I've heard and read that there is supposed to be some Perique in the blend, yet I have not been able to single it out when smoking this tobacco. Of course, the only other Perique blend I've sampled is the fabled Escudo, which pours it on fairly heavily. Anyway, this is a great tobacco for a person who likes a good solid Virginia to smoke. It won't disappoint.

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)

I ordered this because it was described as being similar to the Three Nuns that I have always wanted to try. Well, I finally opened an 11 year old tin of Three Nuns the other day and this is indeed very similar.

This review, however, is not about Three Nuns. Its about my absolute new favorite VaPer! WOW! I loved this. Only smoked one creamy bowl today in a nice, long Canadian which took the coins whole like a giant piggy bank. Very easy to light, no relights, and smoked clean to a nice white powdery ash.

The smell is comforting, almost like marshmallows but better. This will for sure become my new go to for VaPers. I will have to take it along this weekend for a duck hunt....will go great in the blind or by the fire in the evening.

Buy this and give it a few tries. Coins this small are pretty in the tin as well. Such a great smell!

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

When I asked for a recommendation from my tobacconist, since he knows my tastes run to aromatics less and less, and more to virginias and vapers, he pulled this one off the shelf. I like it. I was not disappointed in the perique content, as some reviewers were, but neither did it overwhelm the sweet virginia presence. Never smoked Three Nuns, so I can't offer any thoughts on that comparison, but I like this one. It's a little spendy...not sure it's THAT much better than some I can get in bulk...but it's a goooood smoke.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't understand what the fanfare is with this particular tobacco. It reminds me of Mac Baren's Latakia Blend. That is to say, in the same way the Latakia is practically missing from Mac Baren's Latakia Blend, the Perique is, at best, a ghost on the tongue, leaving one wondering whether what you imagine you're tasting is actually Perique or not. Not to mention that, upon visual inspection, there is practically no Perique to be seen. I don't know if this is because this is a new tin--perhaps older preparations were better and the new tins aren't what they used to be. As for the Virginias, they burned hot, even when dried a little, and the flavor was quite unremarkable. For a VaPer I'd call it a failure; for a typical Danish "boutique" tobacco--something you'd smoke when you're bored with your regular lineup, I'd say it's somewhat of a success-- if what you want is to go running back to your regular favorites. Overall I found it quite lacking in character to any degree, and I'd give it back or trade it for something else in a heartbeat. To be fair, though, the tin aroma is enticing, and the presentation--the loose disks--is quite appealing.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Review based on comparison of old 100 gram folding tin and newer 50 gram round tin. Dates not specific, but about five years' difference in age. Let's leave those three penguins out of this.

Small coins from excellently crafted twists of quality Virginia and genuine Perique. Older coins have darkened, but both tins retain their wonderful aromas. Full rub out to ribbon. Lights easily and stays lit. No bite. Newer version is a bit more peppery, but mellow mid bowl, older smokes sweet and spicy top to bottom.

No Nirvana (or Novena) here, just damn good parochial Va/Per cut rope and middle of the road smoke. No bite or head whacks with a yardstick from Sister Mary Elephant.

ElHumidor525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElHumidor525 (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Sovereign Curly Cut is one of those tobaccos you keep on hand all of the time. Whether it is like the Three Nuns or not, i do not want to get into. I do love Three Nuns and I Love Sovereign Curly Cut, we'll leave it at that. Upon opening the tin, these small dark brown coins are staring right at you. That Virginia and Perique smells so good. The tin note is pungent with a sweet note. After breaking up the coins and stuffing into the pipe, the first few puffs are a bit bitey but quickly mellows out. If you smoke this tobacco slower and don't puff like a maniac, the flavor is out of this world. This tobacco is very rich in flavor, and is a somewhat peppery. Very highly recommended by me, i give it a very strong 4 stars....

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I'm sorry to end the love fest but I must. Like most people I often fall for such lines as "similar to" or "if you like..." It is true that like Three Nuns (old) this is a curly cut, but that's it. This blend was a major disappointment, especially considering the stiff price. To say the perique is subtle is an understatement. I found it often smoked hot and simply lacked significant character. If you have never tasted the original Three Nun's don't feel bad. It was a very good tobacco but not quite the Holy Grail it is portrayed as. Like so many things we can no longer have, the memory is far sweeter than the reality.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

This is a most convoluted review by my own admission.

I find this to be a much more powerful smoke than my preceeding colleagues. I reach for this with a purpose and it delivers. Nicotine hit is there most definitely although not overwhelming. While I feel that to classify this as strong or even medium to strong would be misleading I also feel that it is tangy/smooth and there is nothing mild about it. That tingly nose of the perique is evident but tame, and the VA's are of a complex and high quality and deliver plenty of flavor.

My preference is to rub out the coins and let it air a few minutes before filling and lighting. It is a most curious tobacco and very complex with visits to sweet, nutty, spicy, tangy and earthy.

It smokes cool and dry.

Now with reference to casing... I entered "none detected" but I did so as not to be misleading. This tobacco has a whiff of something - the tin suggests its flavoured with "traditional west country regimental cider". If this is accurate, it explains the tin aroma - a slightly acidit note with a faint wine-like nose and some of the mold that I have experienced in 2 separate tins. I would also suggest that it was the perfect choice to tie the flavors in this mixture together and in no way behaves as a flavouring would imply. This is why I stated "none detected" for if not for the writing on the can, I wouldn't really have determined there was a flavoring. It's not even as evident as the weakest whiff of rum in a traditional Navy Flake.

All in all the coins are a bit moist ... slight drying is required ... just a few extra moments when rubbing. If one is tempted to smoke the coins by folding, you're experienced enough of a pipe smoker to dry them a bit longer.

This is a fine tobacco. It has complexity and suitable strength in a classic merger of VA's and Perique. The room note surprisingly is very pleasant and doesn't hang. The packaging is awful ... it would be so much nicer if they just packaged it in a plastic bag cached within the tin. I remove the tightly packed wad of coins from the gold foil pouch and place it in a plastic bag (the non-ziplock type) folded closed and then refit it in the tin. It will keep quite well for a considerable amount of time even in the low humidity of Northern California.

Cheers, VC

alabra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alabra (5)

Last time I had Three Nuns was in the early '90s, I believe. Well, this is as close to that as I have ever had since - yet it seems milder and smoother than Three Nuns. I love this stuff. A great after breakfast smoke - subtle with just the right amount of that "peppery" Perique top note. A keeper and a new regular addition to my arsenal. Highly recommended!

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I have really come to enjoy this blend by Wessex(German version). If this is what Three Nuns was like, it gets my vote. The current version of Three Nuns is not to my liking. Sweet, flavorful, and definitely with Perique, but just enough to add to the wonderful Virginia. 4 stars.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Made in Germany by the same blender of Rattray?s, Astley?s and McConnell?s, this is a faintly sweet tobacco, manufactured with great attention to detail and outstanding craftsmanship. On opening the elegant silver tin (its one in Wessex?s Brigade Series) one is greeted by the naturally sweet aroma of golden Virginias, and a spicy whiff of Pèrique, all very delicate and sober. The tobacco itself is beautifully presented: light and reddish browns, and golden ribbons, intermingled with the slightly darker hues of penny-like discs. There is a reminiscence of the original Three Nuns, but because of the milder aroma of Curly Cut this would be more like the Three Novices. The general impression is of a blend of high quality, clean, fresh and inviting. The tobacco is easy to pack (you may wish to further rub out the tiny discs, but they can be packed inside the bowl as they are) and it lights gingerly. After an initial acidic and piquant tang the flavor settles down to deliver an elegant, tasty smoke, not unlike the taste of fresh pastry or biscuits, slightly sweet but not cloying. Mild in strength, and with a tendency to burn hot if carried away, it nevertheless burns evenly and joyfully. The Virginias predominate, while the Périque impishly lurks in the background, almost like a whisper. It reminds me of some of the Four Square renderings. It is a soft, consistent smoke that leaves a very nice room aroma but, unfortunately, a bit too mild for my taste. This could be a subdued version of PS Navy Cut, meaning that those weary of Pèrique?s aggressiveness need not be concerned, while Pèrique lovers will probably find this blend too soft and uneventful in that department. It may not be an extraordinary tobacco in terms of strength and flavor, but it certainly is a reliable, quality smoke, ideal for those who wish to get acquainted with both natural Virginias and Va/P mixtures, or as an early morning smoke before switching to a more powerful tobacco.

The best thing about this blend is the old style folding tin that although large due to the 100G size, is still quite convenient. Inside the foil pouch are nicely prepared disks ~ the size of a nickel, interspersed with golden to dark brown color. The individual disks varied widely in color from one to the next perhaps from the twisting process. Many had also started to unravel. This is one of very few blends that I have ever opened and been greeted by apparent white mildew on some of the tobacco even though the moisture content wasn't that high. I've done this myself when trying to rehumidify tobaccos with distilled water. Perhaps an imperfect foil seal was the cause but this is not expected from an expensive, tinned tobacco. Without rubout, packing technique was critical to an even smoke without relights and difficult to consistently duplicate. As with some other Wessex VA flakes that I've tried, I did not find the taste as inviting as the tin or room aroma. The advertised Perique was hardly detected resulting in a rather bland VA. Other VA flakes and Va/Perique blends are much more enjoyable than this one.