A unique blend of aged tobaccos moistened with imported French and Dutch liqueurs for a rich aroma and a mellow, comfortable smoke. Our unique combination of tobaccos is aged just long enough to ripen to maturity. Then, it is lightly sprinkled with three imported liqueurs to provide this blend with its distinctive aroma and a satisfying taste.

BrandBrown & Williamson
Strength
Taste

CPWSolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPWSolf (1)

=Please note this is my first ever tobacco review=

This is a fine cut tobacco by pipe tobacco standards. Reasonably moist with a sweet fruity smell emanating from the bag.The tobacco packs well, with a good spring to it allowing for a free draw on the pipe.

This blend takes a light very well, with the initial taste being smooth and mellow. One has to be careful not to puff to hard or fast as I found it to bite quite easily.

The room not on this is pleasant enough, more a case of being un- offensive: certainly smoke this among those less inclined to our ways.

As the bowl progresses I find the flavour of the tobacco doesn't change, it has a generic pipe tobacco flavour though it is nicely mild, and keeps this the whole way through. The only risk of being smoking this too hard or fast.

I don't smoke for Vitamin N so as a result I can't comment on the levels.

Most certainly recommended.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Best OTC blend I've had to date... Don't let the aromatic lable fool you, this is a quality ribbon-cut burley. Easy to pack, light and enjoy. Taste and satisfaction is there. Like most burley blends I enjoy this in a cob. There can be a slight harshness to it, but, I think this is due to the use of some young virginia in the blend. I believe that if a can of this aged for a few years it would probably smooth out a bit. I give this three stars because of the quality and value for being a drug store blend. Happy Smoking...

Rikowrites Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rikowrites (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am smoking my 5th bowl of SWRA in a Butz Choquin large billiard. The pouch aroma is reminescent of butterscoth and stays lit quite well. The blender says there are 3 liquers in it. I like the result. I have not tried regular SWR but I will pick up a pouch for comparison. I think this is an underrated aromatic that deserves its time in the sun!

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I came across this via watching a Mr " Chris Solf " on youtube ! I found it lovely ! A great "entry " aromatic as it does not taste only of the added flavor . It burns very even and the smoke is not too hot . I found no tongue bite from it . It gives a wonderful almost "nutty" room note . I also found that unlike many aromatics it did not leave my pipe tainted with a "lingering" aromatic flavor . A very pleasurable aromatic .

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (13)

Now be it stated I am not a connoisseur of pipe tobacco and wouldn't know a fine English blend if you threw the tin at my head, but I have smoked a ton of dime store burleys. This is one of the better aromatics I have bought- burns well, not too hot or goopy I recommend this to anyone wanting to try an aromatic out.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am quickly beginning to discover that unlike a fine wine,or wines, you do not need to spend lots of money to get a great tobacco. Sir Walter Raleigh cost me a whole $2.50 and I love it. It has the smell that used to make me think of vanilla when I was a child.

Upon opening I am greeted by a raisin-liquor smell and when I first packed it I noticed it was very finely cut burley,or ribbon cut as some call it. The girlfriend rating was a "5 star". She loves the smell of all my aromatics.

The taste was heavy burley and a light liquor casing. It is better than some desserts for me. I love this blend with a nice Guinness beer. Highly recommended. 4/4/ stars.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)

Dont do aromatics, so was really not sure what to expect from this, i smoke SWR all day every day, & i love it so thought i would give this a chance, & i like it,its not like the aromatics that i remember and hated with a passion,this taste the same all the way down from start to finish,& its not a sticky sour tasting blend at all, i still like SWR better but i will keep a tin or 2 of this SWR Aromatic in stock for them times when i just fancy a little sweeter smoker, i would recommend this blend = from me

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco is like an old friend. From the first time I smoked it over 30 years ago I always keep it on hand in the tin.

Someone said that it reminds him of Christmas and I have to agree with that. If you think this is just a sweeter version of Original Sir Walter Raleigh you are mistaken. This blend and the original are two different animals. Nice tasting nuty Burleys and mild sweet Virginias laced with a wonderful aromatic liquor. Not sure what liquor it is but it's delicious in the blend. The aroma is like fresh baked cookies and old fashioned boiled plum pudding. You'll be sure to get compliments.

This blend is really a nice smoke that tastes like it should cost a lot more than it does.

JoeWNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeWNC (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I probably can't write a review on par with many of those I read here on the site. I will give my opinion as best I can.

This is a drugstore aromatic. It works. It smokes well, doesn't goop up the pipe and is positive to bystanders.

I use this as a daily smoke in the aromatic category. I would also recommend it to someone just starting with pipe smoking. It's also inexpensive which helps if you smoke throughout the day like I do.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a couple of pouches of this, just thinking I needed to try all the drugstore blends. Tobacco in the pouch smells awesome, sweet & fruity. Easily loads into a pipe (I've smoked one pouch exclusively in an Ozark Mountain Hardwood pipe) and burns beautifully. Smells great, and I really like the flavor quite a lot...very simple, sweet-ish tobacco flavor with a little kick of something slightly peppery. I'll order a tub of it and try to keep it on-hand. I cannot imagine smoking this exclusively, the flavor really is really just too much for an all-day smoke for me, but every week or so I find myself craving a care-free aromatic and SWR Aromatic is the only thing that will do!

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

This is another blend I had not smoked in many years. Picked up a pouch a couple of days ago to see what I thought of it now. It's still pretty good for the price. ($3.59 in my area) It seems a bit milder then I remember but it's likely been twenty years since I last smoked it. A little sweet but not over the top. I never had any problems with it biting before and I still don't. It's kind of hard for me to put my finger on the flavoring but I guess vanilla spice comes to mind as a fitting description. This tobacco has been around for a long time and will remain for years to come. It's a bargin folks. Give it a shot! You won't be disappointed.

Update: After smoking more pouches of SWRA I'm compelled to add another star bringing it up to four. This is good stuff and is quickly becoming my favorite aromatic blend at any price.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Since some call it a drugstore blend I didn't expect much when I tried this. Boy, was I ever surprised! This is good stuff.

I like the flavor, the room note, the smell it leaves in my pickup truck. I had to double check the pouch to make sure this is really an aromatic. Other aromatics come on too strong for me. Not this one. It's just right.

After 2 or 3 bowls out of a pouch I called up the company where I placed a recent order and asked them to add on a big tin of this tobacco.

This has become one of my top two favorites.

Excellent!

Stumper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stumper (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a virtuous pouch tobacco blend. It smells nice, it packs easily in the bowl, lights very easily, stays lit well, smells good, and tastes pleasant. Like many aromatics it can bite if you push it...but it actually will nip lightly as a warning before biting hard. Smoked at a reasonably pace it is very friendly tobacco and it is my favorite "drugstore" blend of all I have tried.

Rimshot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rimshot (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Now here's a twist, for my inexperienced taste buds at least--straight burley with a topping! The casing isn't too strong--no goop or chemical-induced sickness from this aromatic--and the liquor flavors really come out when puffed gently. Leaves a nice ash, and can be smoked to the bottom of the bowl. My only complaints are that it doesn't produce as much smoke as Prince Albert or Carter Hall (but not many do!), and that it tastes harsh when over-puffed (but then most burleys do).

Overall a pleasant burley, and a kind of "crossover" aromatic. It won't replace Carter Hall or Prince Albert in my tobacco drawer, but it will complement them. Oh, and even my wife, who hates the smell of all the other tobaccos I've smokes so far, admits that it has a pleasant room note. If you're skittish about aromatics but love burley, you ought to give this one a try!

kyrider54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyrider54 (3)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I bought my first tin of Sir Walter Realigh aeromatic that I haven't smoked since 1975.I forgotten how good it was.My father used to work for Brown&Williamson and would bring it to me.When he retired I did not pursue it any further,and began smoking sutff that I was getting from The Tinder Box when I worked for them at one time.I drifted to different blends and could not settle on anything in particular.I read different reviews when I discovered the review web site.I went out and got the tin and was soooo glad I did.It has a great smooth taste.Burns nicely and leaves a very mild aroma in the room.Never burned hot,and had no bite at all.I would highly recomend this blend to anyone that wants a smooth cool smoke.Buy you a corn cobb pack it with SWRA and you're hooked.

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Ah yes, Sir Walter. This is an over the counter, heavily cased, sweet aromatic tobacco. I smoked a pouch of this mainly in my cob while grilling or messing around in the garage. To me, drug store aromatics all taste the same, like vanilla or something. Of all the over the counter pouches this one is probably my favorite. I may never smoke it again, but it's my preference over the other cheapies. An open pouch stayed pretty moist for about 6 months sitting on the back porch.

Pipe Used: cob, kaywoodie

Purchased From: got for free in mail

Similar Blends: Captain Black Aromatic.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As a man on a mission to hit as many OTC blends as I can find, this was the next in my sights. I've recently gotten away from aromatics, and like to rub a good bit of Latakia in with EVERYTHING! I'm becoming something of a "Balkan Junkie" (actually, a wannabe snob!) The temp hit mid nineties today, and I wanted something to take my mind off the yard work I had to do. Saw this and said "what the heck". In the pouch you get a lot of sweetness like berries...likely the liqueurs added. This doesn't necessarily translate to the smoke. That first two or three puffs are mighty chocolaty, but that quickly gives way to some good ol' burley happiness! This is one you'll probably want to take slow...sip, sip, sip! I got a tad excited and burned myself. All my fault, but it'll take care of it with a bit of drying time. The wife? She doesn't care much for the aroma. I'll take being relegated to the back porch. Likely one of the better aromatics I've had. Get your $3.50 together and grab a pouch of this! Just enough sweetness to make you think, just enough "baccy" flavor to let you go on autopilot.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this tobacco to be very "middle of the road". Nothing really jumped out at me, but bowl after bowl I detected some chocolate to the aroma and taste, which I didn't really expect. I didn't find the tobacco to bite or burn my tongue, and was a smooth enough smoke. It wasn't overwhelmingly aromatic or tasting of liquor, and has a nice tobacconess to it. Burned well, didn't need to be re-lit, and was worth the $5 I spent on the pouch. I would consider buying it again, but if I am in the mood for a pouch tobacco I would probably buy PA or borkum riff whiskey. Sir Walter Aromatic is worth trying though.

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A pretty good blend all in sll. Decent tobacco taste. Just a bit too perfumy in my opinion.

OldComoyYoungGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldComoyYoungGuy (6)

SWRA is a good simple blend that burns clean and for some reason leaves much less of a ghost than most aromatics I have tried. I still keep a cheapo basket pipe just to smoke this blend in when I get the urge throughout the year and I always have a big tin of this open somewhere for dipping. It is a "good mowing the grass" / working in the yard type blend. I find in a large diameter bowl the smoke can really taste bitter so I have kept it in a normal diameter bowled pipe (3/4").

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)

For some reason I have wanted to try this tobacco for years. But have had a hard time locating it in my area. Well, I got lucky a couple of weeks ago while visiting a tobacco shop which sells cigs & other tobacco items. They had a couple pouches of this blend on their shelf. So, I bought & gave it a try. Not bad for the price. Not sure what I expected it to be. But guess it just didn't live up to exactly what I thought it'd be. Worst I've ever had? Not by far. My all day smoke? By no means. Will I keep it around as a fallback for every now & again? Surely will.

roscoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roscoe (11)

A fairly pleasant and tasty drugstore blend, especially economical by the can, with a mapley liquor flavor, good for frequent pipers. Makes smoke very nicely, but a bit too sour for my taste.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

Looks more like a shag cut than a coarse cut as described. This is a good all-day tobacco for cutting grass, and doing yard chores. Never hints at biting, and can relit several times without any negative consequences. I really like this stuff. Topping is very faint, but it is there. Loads easy, lights easy, and it's easy to maintain. Burns clean and cool.

#2 choice for drug store tobacco, next to Carter Hall. If you can find this, buy it!

3.5 of 5 stars

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This smelled very nice in the pouch, more fruity than chocolately as is so with its cousin SWR regular. This lit well and produced a moderate amount of smoke. I found this blend to have more of a chemical taste while smoking and the aroma was not much better. I'll stick to SWR regular, a much better blend and locally I can find it for under 4 dollars for a 1.5 oz pouch.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ok so i bought this cause i had heard alot about it. It has a very nice tin note sadly thats the only good thing about it. This has a very broing and harsh taste,resembles cigarettes. There are alot more drugstore blends out there worth trying any of the Captain blacks, cater hall, prince albert, maybe even Borkum riff. Try it if your into burley. This just inst for me but burley fans you might like this

pipe smoking country boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe smoking country boy (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

apon opening the tub i was greated with what i discribe as a egg nog smell. tried to smoke it but there was a heavy chemical taste. put it in mason jars revisited it 3 years later loved it. packs,lights,smokes well. recomend to and one on a budget.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)

An interesting blend. I really, really like burley, but this doesn't quite do it for me.

It packs and burns very well. No moisture or dottle. A good clean smoke.

The flavor is ok. Whereas I enjoy the natural flavor of burleys, what comes through in SWR aromatic is the casing. The liquor doesn't taste much like liquor, just a general bitterness. It's still sweet, but not the buttery/nutty sweetness that you get in other over the counter burleys like Carter Hall.

If you like burleys, and you like aromatics, this is just the tobacco for you. Tobacco doesn't get much cheaper than this stuff.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

Having tried SWR awhile back, i decided to give this blend a whirl. I find the taste is rather appealing and it leaves a very nice room note. The ribbon cut on this is about the same as SWR and it packs and lights easily enough. I find that this does burn down to an ash with alot of dottle in it, as is the case with many of the OTC genre. It does produce a nice amount of smoke though. I must say that it does have a nice amount of Vitamin N to it, which is a good thing. The price isn't too bad either. All in all, I would recommend this blend to newbies, as well as those wanting a change of pace from their regular smoke.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)

Bit of an odd taste here. It's not bad but not good either. One of those "I can take it or leave it" blends. At least it's not overpowering. If you like aros you might like this. There is at least a hint of the original SWR in the smoke and that's about all that kept me smoking it until the pouch was empty.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (14)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought in the pouch, haven't tried a tin yet. I find it a little too damp when first opened. Hard to keep lit and a little harsh towards the bottom of the bowl. However, given some time to dry out, very much improved. Easey to keep lit, good flavor. As someone else said, tastes like it smells. I would recommend this to any aromatic smoker. In my opinion, better than many of the much more expensive blends.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Overwhelming

I'm a big fan of aromatics and I a fan of SWR regular. I am NOT a fan at all of SWR aromatic. It smells interesting in the pouch. Loads well, lights well no relighting necessary. First light the flavor was ok but after the initial puff it was one of the weirdest flavors I've ever encountered. To me it has a musty, mediciney flavor. Kind of like somebody dumped Nyquil on some burley and kept it in a warm damp space for a few years. Further I smoked the flavor turned to SafeGuard soap. I'm glad I smoked this with a corn cob and not one of my briars. I'll stick to regular SWR. This one just isn't for me.

Colby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colby (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked up a 2 oz pouch of this as it's gotten pretty good reviews. It was really cheap too. Upon opening, the tobacco was pretty dry but when I loaded it into a cob it was still springy like your pack should be. The most noteworthy part of this tobacco is that is smokes very cool and isn't overpowering at all. Every now and then if I took a big puff I tasted a kind of nutty or tree branch like taste that I didn't care for much. So... final opinion is that it's not great but a lot better than other drug store brands out there.

SpaceCowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpaceCowboy (8)

i tried this stuff purely because it was cheap. i paid $3.50 for a 1.5 oz pouch because i wanted to try a new aromatic, and with prices this low i didn't mind rolling the dice. I was very surprised at how mild and tasty this blend was. i found it very smooth and mild, yet without entirely masking the tobacco tase.

Rusticsmoke90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusticsmoke90 (6)

I bought this brand because it looked like a good smoke. It smelt very sweet like brown sugar. It smoked smooth and smelt great but wasn't all to thrilled with it. It is, on the other hand, a much better brand then Birkum riff and mixture no. 79. It is a good tobacco I enjoy. I recommed this brand to anyone who wants a good tobacco for thier money. so long

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)

I find the aromatic blend by Sir Walter Raleigh to be a strange tobacco.As far as the tobacco goes it's a thin cut so at times it can burn a little fast.Normally I get this by the pouch and in past experience it's been a fine after-dinner smoke.It has an amaretto and maple liquer casing.It's bite-free and is clean burning.My hesitation on this blend actually occured on the last few pouches I purchased,the taste was bland and the casing tasted 'thinned out',I felt like I was smoking hay that was lightly dabbed in amaretto.I'll give the can a shot before I shun SWR Aromatic from my cabinet.

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is an American aromatic burley, this drugstore tobacco is slightly top flavored and gently cased giving an elegant aroma of nuts + cherry and a lovely room note, while it is not as nutty as Prince Albert, it is however more fruity and friendly smell.

Overall, an easy going, delicious and maintenance-free smoke while driving or watching movie or playing video game etc.

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Honestly, I can't taste any liqueurs here. To me, it's a plain Burley blend, and not bad at all in that department. In drugstore burleys, this is only second to Prince Albert, and like the rest, it endures only due to availability and price.

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

After smoking the Regular Sir Walter Raleigh I was expecting the same weak and bland tobacco. Much to my surprise I was greeted with a gentle lightly flavored smoke. The ribbon cut Burley packs and lights well. I required only two relights for the whole bowl. The liqueurs that are said to be applied to this blend are done so very delicately. I normally avoid aromatics due to there over casing and goopy gurgling they produce, but this was a pleasant surprise as it did neither. At $2.90 a pouch it's a bargain! I would highly recommend this to anyone new to pipe smoking. You really have to push this hard to get it to bite. The only thing that kept me from giving it four stars was the lack of strength. I'm not a big Burley fan but this wasn't bad. If your looking for something mild and an all day smoke this is it.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

Taking a whiff from the pouch will entice one to give it a try. Once you light it however, you will probably be disapointed and left hanging for more. It is BLAH! No taste. The aroma is good but the tongue will be asking for more. This is one of the strangest blends that I ever smoked. The topping taste like chocolate and amaretto. Smoking this is like having sex and stopping right before you reach climax. A disapointment indeed! At least with the regular, you can taste the tobacco somewhat!

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I must quote Satc001 below me, "This is not your typical drug store blend!" I actually enjoyed the tin of this I bought last fall. I wasn't expecting anything but I got a lot. It is mild and has a wonderful flavor. It didn't burn hot, didn't burn my tongue and never offended anyone. I could smoke this in public and feel just fine about it. It tasted as good as it smelled. I only had one issue. I always got heartburn from it. It didn't matter what pipe I smoked, what time of the day was or what the weather was like. After a full bowl, I had heartburn. WHY!?!? I like this. The price is good too. I hope more people try this, I also hope to get over the heartburn thing!

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

I purchased a tub of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic based on my love for the regular Sir Walter and the superior reviews for the aromatic version. I wasn't disappointed.

First of all, this is not your typical drug-store blend. Upon opening the tin, I notice that the leaf is of superior quality and comparable to any burley leaf you would find in the high-end blends. The aroma is wonderful and of sweet liquors. It lights and burns easily.

The flavor is sweet with the liqueur flavoring of the tobacco. Sometimes this tobacco tastes more like candy than tobacco. However, when the flavoring evaporates, there is a high-quality burley flavor left behind. This tobacco is best enjoyed in a small bowl, for some reason, a smaller bowl size creates a more full-flavored smoke. The burley also develops a somewhat vegetal nature in the smoke if puffed too fast. The aroma is delicious. It doesn't bite, unless it is DGT'd.

Overall this is a very good drug-store blend. For the price, it is one of the better aromatics on the market. I will certainly finish my 12 oz. tub and will probably keep some of this on hand.

Karyyk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karyyk (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Mind you, I've only been smoking a pipe for a couple of years, but for the price, you can do much worse than the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I've smoked the standard Raleigh burley blend, and find this one to be superior in every single way. The reason I keep going back to this one (aside from nostalgic reasons...my father smoked the same blend) is because it almost always provides a smooth, comfortable smoke, and burns well even when it's on the dry side. It tastes good, and it's one of the few tobaccos I'd feel comfortable smoking inside (in fact, I'm generally complimented on how "good" it smells). This one comes more highly recommended than you would expect out of a $2.39 pouch.

One final recommendation is to smoke this while you drink a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. It's a great paring if ever there was one.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (35)

I recently bought a pouch of this from my local grocery store. Although it smelled nice in the pouch, it was a little dry. Even when too dry it smoked well. The main word here is comfort. The added flavorings tend to make the burley more comfortable on the tongue rather than take over the blend. If you see the word "Aromatic" and think Black Cavendish you'd be mistaken. This is a burley for sure. I recently gave this little pouch a Presbyterian baptism (that is, I sprinkled some water on it) and the flavor got a little stronger in the bowl. By the way, the best way to smoke this kind of stuff is in a cob. The cut is very coarse and it takes too much to fill a big briar with it. And, you don't need to. This is a great smoke without taking all day. I can't comment on the room note because I have had to smoke a lot outdoors lately. However, I think the aroma is nice. It's a little sweeter than Prince Albert, but I am an even bigger fan of the Prince for many other reasons. For those sampling Burley for the first time, I'd start here. This tobacco is very forgiving if you puff like a dragon and the aroma will get you used to a more "tobacco" smell.

Jabberwocky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jabberwocky (6)

On the basis of the reviews here and the fact that Half and Half was nasty, I bought a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. And to think I thought this was a cheap stinky drugstore tobak. I was very wrong. It is a tasty, readily available locally quality smoke. Being a new piper I can not describe subtle tastes, only that it tastes good and the roomnote doesn't get me put outside. Another blend I need to get tins of in my cellar. Thanks to the intellegent reviewers on TobaccoReviews for the guiding light onto the pipers path of bliss.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

OK, so I had recently finished up a pouch of the Sir Walter non-aromatic, and decided to try the aromatic blend.

Wow, now this was completely different from what I was expecting. First of all, the pouch scent was really nice, is it a plum or a prune scent I am detecting, though not overpowering by any means. The pouch I bought seemed to be quite fresh. The tobacco had just the right moisture level to it. It burns quite well, leaving a fine white ash. I'm not an expert on tobacco blends, but I believe this one is predominantly burley, and very very mild on the tongue. I've smoked a lot of burley tobaccos, though I'm not normally a big fan of burley. But after smoking this brand, I have a new respect for all of you burley lovers out there. I would recommend this one to beginners, as well as seasoned veterans. I would even go so far as to recommend this one as an all day smoke. For a drugstore brand, I would put this one in my top three picks...

dutch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dutch (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

got my first tin of swr aromatic today, and i was in my glory.the smell upon openning the container was fantastic, i could not wait to put some in my university pipe and lite it, wow what a taste, it has to be the best aromatic i have tasted . no sludge or gurgle and the room note was fantastic. most of the time i smoke virginias for the sweetness, but this burley and the flavorings are fantastic, no bite for a burley, and the room note smells great. i will still smoke my virginias on and off but when it comes to an aromatic, i finally found the one i like. i give sir walter raliegh aromatic a recomendation of 4 stars

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

This is the best over the counter (or, behind locked glass door to be accurate)tobacco thing there is at the supermarket in America. There are a lot of memories for me with this blend. There's an old can of this filled with arrow making supplies at my father's house. He smoked it when I was a kid. (Still does sometimes). Anyway, I like it. The smell in the can, or pouch, is jaw dropping. A little booze, a little tobacco, a little sweet. It tastes like it smells, pretty much, though it can get bitter halfway through if pushed. I usually dump the last third of the bowl. (a little bitter is o.k., but to the bottom is bunk). It comes at a great moisture level but it will dry out, which is a plus in my book. It's not something I can smoke all the time (though I can see how some could), but sometimes I wake up craving this stuff. And that's not for the nicotine cause there's barely any in it! I recommended this to a friend of mine who's starting the pipe. He wanted something really mild, yet tasty. This is a good choice.

(Ed. note: this was written in paragraphs)

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

By opening the cover, the smell is semi-sweet and very unique. It has the quality Burley and Virginia with a non recognizable, but pleasant perfume which adds a lot in the pleasure. It is not particularly heavy and surely it doesn?t cause any burning in the tongue. It remains dry till the end of the bowl.

The flavor of tobacco is quite strong, compared to other aromatic tobaccos. As they write, it has been perfumed lightly with some French and Dutch Liqueurs.

I will like it, also because of its price, together with Town Topic McClelland , to become my all day tobacco. It exceeds Larsen No 50 because of its cost in a low budget.

EVERY DAY I LIKE IT MORE.

scorpio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio (4)

well,do to the lack of pipe shops around,I have been trying the forbidden drug store blends. looking at the reviews came across swra I'am not a aromatic smoker,I have a tub of reg.swr so I thought I would give it a try. for a non-aromatic smoker,this blend rocks!!the sweetness of the blend, is like well age virginia.I find myself smoking this stuff like its going out of style.it burns clean.the room note is great. everyone has there own taste but like they say that the frog is a good cross over blend for aromatic smokers, well I think this bled is good cross over for english smokers.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)

This Blend is not what it use to be. SWRA use to have an almond aroma. Which ahs now been changed to a soft vanilla. Not as rich as it use to be. Still not a bad tobacco but not very aromatic. I think the regular SWR is a better bet

Grey Cloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grey Cloud (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have been smoking a pipe, (not the same one, mind you) for over 25 years now. I do not claim to be a master of the art, but after 25 years I know what I like, and I know crap leaf from really good leaf, and this is really good leaf. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is one of the finest aromatic tobaccos I have ever tried. I smoked this for the first time in 1983, and I still love this mixture. This is not a tobacco to turn your nose up at because it doesn't have a royal blood line as other more famous blends and brands. This great blend is not sticky sweet, but balanced perfectly. Containing dark and lighter Virginias with a little white burley, the topping is excellent. It doesn't burn too hot, and I have never recieved a bite on the tounge from it. SWRA is my favorite Christmas Season blend, and those around you will love the aroma. A wonderful classic, worthy of 5 stars.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

OK so its only a lowly ?drug store? aromatic, nevertheless I am not in the least bit ashamed to admit that this is my all time favorite ?go to? blend. Yes, I have strayed and enjoyed some wonderful ?high end? aromatics from the likes of Pipeworks & Wilke, Habana Premium, Boswell etc. but I always come back to lowly SWRA and am amazed at how much I like this mild and sweet smoke. Any aromatic, for this smoker, can become monochromatic if smoked to complete exclusion, but SWRA has long been the most consistent element in my rotation. Burley predominates in this blend, this can be an all day smoke. As other reviewers have mentioned it can exhibit some bite and I too have noted that any bite seems to diminish after the tub has been open and allowed to ?age?.

Bradquist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bradquist (1)

I had a uncle (long dead) who was a lifelong pipe smoker who smoked SWRA. I have figured out recently after purchasing a pouch that the room note from my uncle's pipe was SWRA: it could be nothing else. Oh memory lane. His aromatic filled house was one of the main reasons I started piping in the first place....That said. This is a good OTC burley that smells great and tastes much better than most other OTC (Drugstore) blends, such as Captain Black. This light aromatic actually tastes like tobacco. Give'er a try. For $2.39 a pouch why not?

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)

It was a mistake! I told her to bring me a pound of Sir Walter Raleigh regular. She brought me the aromatic. It sat on the shelf for one year. I was desperate..I needed pipe tobacco and that was all I had. In the jungle you live by care packages. I opened the tin, packed, and lit...puffed and enjoyed it. Mild, mild, mild....no one complains about the aroma..as a matter of fact, most compliment, "My Dad, Grand Father ( insert as you desire) used to smoke a pipe. That smells nice." This is my fallback. I know its readily available and friends can bring me this by the pound. Easy light and keeps burning til the bottom. I like it..yeah, I smoke nothing but Dunhills and I should like something more esoteric, but you know , I smoke this all the time. Try it....you'll understand....

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was actually my second choice of the OTC burley search. Which was actually kinda fun, and I would suggest everyone try this. It was inexpensive and quite educational. Maybe I got an old pouch of this, but It really didn't hit me as an aromatic. Nice burley taste.....As with most of the OTC burlies I could have smoked it all day. Nicotine never really hit a satifaction level. Kinda like chinese food, Hungry again after 30 mins. But the taste was great. Give it a try

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)

I picked up a pouch of this at a smokeshop today. About 20 years ago this was my smoke when i was a roofer, I burned this in cobs while i nailed away in Atlanta. Today brought back fond memories of a more simpler time, a fresh cool breeze, sun shining and a cob of good drugstore burley blend with a hint of aromatic, but still pretty good tobacco flavor. I will pick this up again from time to time.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This blend reminds me of a light beer. Just as light beer gives you a slight taste of beer, this blend gives you a slight taste of maple/vanilla sweetness. This would be the perfect blend to smoke around those you may offend or to introduce someone new to the pipe.

One of the lightest aromatics I have ever tried. For what it was, it was a pleasant smoke, but on those occasions that I am in the mood for an aromatic, I want more flavor.

I have to agree with the favorable reviews for this tobacco. I bought a pouch in Washington State while on a trip near Richland, Wa. No good pipe stores in the area, only the cigarette type stores with a smattering of very expensive drug store tobaccos. After buying a pouch of this tobacco for about $5.50 plus sales tax, I opened the pouch and took a sniff. Wow, this smells great. I'm usually let down by drug-store tobaccos, barely tolerating the Captain Blacks and Borkum Riffs when I have to, but Sir Walter Aromatic is quite good for this type of tobac. I don't think I will invest in a large can, but for something fairly tasty, great smelling, and readily available in my area it is very good. Just avoid buying any tobacco in Washington State! They had a 100 gram tin of MacBaren Club Blend for $25 dollars plus sales tax in their display case!

Update: 7/3/2005...A great summertime blend. Puff away while doing yardwork. Tastes like real tobacco (good Burley) and smells terrific!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)

I know it's already been said, but I'll say it again anyway, this is definitelly NOT anything like the original SWR. I picked up some of this, after reading the reviews here. Yes, the pouch aroma is very pleasant, and the ribbon cut packs easily enough. But, wow, this smokes smooth, clean and with the right balance of aromatic topping and tobacco flavor. I don't much like aromatics, and am tired of the choco- vanilla-whatever flavors that I've found. This, however, is a different breed of cat and I think aromatic lovers will find something here they like. I'm going to keep some of this around for when I want to reach for an aromatic. A very good smoke.

ZionThePissed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZionThePissed (9)

After having a bad run-in with the soury crap ridden drabble of the regular blend of SWR, I was very reluctant to try the aromatic version. But, I took a gamble and purchased a bag of it from some tobacco outlet store. I opened it and it smelled decent, like a sort of licorice casing of some kind and perhaps a faint hint of the liqeuor tracing. It felt good rubbing in between thumb and forefinger, so i packed it about halfway in my tester pipe. I was amazed. This stuff is pretty good. It burns and stays mild, even in windy conditions where only minimal shielding was needed. It smells great. This is possibly the best drugstore aromatic you could buy.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As far as inexpensive tobacco goes this is a real winner. Very pleasant and mild and it appeals to my penny pinching cheapness. This leaves a pleasant odor behind that even my wife, who doesn't like the smell of pipe tobacco, doesn't complain about. In my mind I tend to group the tobaccos into richer tobaccos to smoke while relaxing and those that are milder to smoke while working. This is definitely a tobacco that doesn't overpower you but is extremely pleasant to smoke at anytime and anywhere. I don't understand how the same people who produce the plain and sometimes bitter regular Sir Walter Raleigh can come through with such a gem for just a few dimes more.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Smells of maple syrup and fresh coffee to me. Packs easy and burns clean. The flavor is mild and pleasant. A very mild cased aeromatic. The room note is nice, as is the aftertaste. While this is nothing "special", it's a simple no frills smoke that is very consistant, just like an old friend.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

I remember this blend as one of my first true aromatic smoking tobaccos. I have since smoked it between other blends,and it is still as I remember it from the first smoke. This tobacco consists of Burley and Virginia tobacco with some really great flavourings. It is more on the shag cut,with dark and light leaf. I have always thought that while smoking this fine blend it had a "christmas-y" aroma.Not like holly or or a yule log, but like christmas cookies baking. I enjoy this blend usually around Christmas,and all love the aroma. A real good smoke!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

At its best, this blend tastes like a dry-cured Henri Wintermann cigar. Often, it's just an unremarkable Burley. Sometimes, it's tingly and bitter and un-fun. It's not bad, though, if something of a weak sister in the flavor department, and for me it doesn't bite. I don't taste a lot of difference between this and the non-aromatic version, and I don't feel any compelling need to smoke it again. If you're stranded without tobacco somewhere, though, and all you can find is drugstore tobacco, this is one of the best of the lot. For me, smokes noticeably better in a meerschaum.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

I saw a pouch at the local grocery and had to give it a try. I didn't expect much from a drug store tobacco and was pleasantly surprised.

Somewhat dry in the pouch, it has a sweet aroma that reminded me of Beach Nut or Red Man chewing tobacco. That's where the similarity ended.

Easy to pack, easy to light and stays lit. Smells good and tastes excellent.

Well worth a try.

scootpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootpipe (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Hmm. I bought a pack of this stuff mainly because of the price. I was suprised on how good it actually is. The smell is somewhat odd. I can't put my finger on it but it has a pleasant bag aroma. After packing - it lit right up and burned like a champ. It was a very even and good burning tobacco. Not bad stuff. I've had better "drug store" tobacco but I have had alot worse. I'll keep this stuff around for a while but won't smoke it as a daily - only as a change of pace.

Ephraim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ephraim (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite aromatics. It really is nothing like the regular Sir Walter Raleigh (which is my all time favorite Burley blend). The cut is ribbon, and the pouch aroma is of some undefined liqueur...pleasantly sweet with fruits and perhaps coffee present. No hint of the usual vanilla scent that permeates many OTC aromatics.

The ribbon cut was easy to pack (but in my opinion ALL tobacco is easy to pack if you really want to smoke the darn thing, rather than fiddle around and over-think the process). Lights up easily and burns very well for me. Very few relights.

The initial taste is of an aromatic for sure, but tobacco flavor makes its presence known as well. I would describe the taste as one of very light fruit, but predominantly of caramel and tobacco. Delicious. The pouches I buy at the local shop tend to be on the dry side, but that is beneficial for me as SWRA burns extremely well. The room note with the smoke is noticeable to me while smoking and smells of brown sugar. Nothing but compliments from my nonsmoker friends, which is always nice.

I do find that it can taste a bit harsh and might nip a bit if pushed, especially towards the end of the bowl.

Oh and one more thing. The nicotine is present in this blend. Rare for me to feel it with most tobaccos (high tolerance), but I certainly do with this one. Nothing powerful certainly (it's no Five Brothers) but definitely there.

A great non-Black Cavendish, old school American Aromatic.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

For a number of years, this was the only OTC I would smoke, and only then as a change of pace from heavier blends. I've always appreciated the ease with which it smokes and the fairly sweet, slightly nutty taste is always enjoyable. Women like the smell of it, too, and that never hurts! It might burn a little hot if you are a constant puffer. Go at a moderate pace and you'll enjoy the experience. It has an even burn, no dottle, and won't ghost your pipe. It's one of the most consistent pipe tobaccos out there. I don't know what liquor topping is used, but I have sensed it in a few other blends, and prefer it here rather than in those. And, btw, when you open a tub of it for the first time, the smell is wonderful!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This is the second time I've done this but here it is. Read the tin note, its right on ! To date, the best drugstore brand I've had.

Spiffytexan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spiffytexan (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is an ideal one to start out on. Smells great, tastes good, and has a complex enough flavor that you can imagine that it tastes like most anything. (As compared to Cpt. Black or some other uniflavor blend)

Highly recommended as a daily smoke, and not too hard on the wallet!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Just tried some of this and it started biting me like a rabid ferret, totally out of the blue.

Taste/smell was pleasant enough until the attack, like butterscotch, and the room note was decidedly unferretlike. However, next time I'm in a pinch, I think I'll reach for something safer, like PA.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

I bought this on a whim in a pipe and tobacco shop that just recently re-opened under new management after a bust by the feds (it?s a long story). The shop had only three pipe tobacco blends on hand but was in the process of ordering a larger inventory. I tried this because I hate to leave a tobacconist empty-handed, because I had never tried the aromatic version of Sir Walter before and lastly because it was dirt cheap (some would probably say that is because it is dirt). I, however, was pleasantly surprised. It came from a large tin and had a very nice aroma. It was dry and packed well. There was no hint of sourness like some brands that use alcohol as part of their formula. I thought the combination of the Burley and the liqueurs gave the blend a maple flavoring along with a mild sweetness. It has a room note that is conducive to smoking in the company on non-smokers. This is a good choice for those who like mild aromatics and are on a tight budget (like me). I will keep this in my rotation as an everyday aromatic smoke.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Weak , tasteless , boring. Gave the rest away.

NEXT!!!

Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (2)

This is my favorite pipe tobacco . Simplicity is often the best. Not a big aromatic fan but Love this one. Not over flavored and saturated with toppings and goop. Dosent cover the taste of the tobacco.Taste sweet and nutty, Smells great. Some of the best burning pipe tobacco ive tried . . No tongue bite worries. I can smoke this all day in a cob , and never get tired of it. I highly recomend for beginners who want to try a aromatic but like the taste of tobacco. The price and availability is a big plus too. Added some blending Perique to this ....really really good !

Cheap ,easy to get, taste good, smells good, burns very well. What more can u ask for?

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum corncob

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (56)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a pouch and couldnt finish it, horrid stuff that wouldnt stay lit and burned hot. Id be interested to try it in the large can to see if its any better, i find that tobacco brands can be spoiled in the pouch and are often better in tin or can. This blend certainly has a large loyal following with positive reviews so ill have to revisit it at some point. All i can say is the pouch i got was rubbish.

Nitesail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nitesail (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is awesome!!! I've been smoking it for years. It's my go to tobacco and I always find myself frustrated when I run out! Great flavor, great smoking characteristics, and I'm always getting nice comments on the aroma. For those of you who may smoke a little wet I've had great results smoking this in a Brigham pipe which has the filter to prevent gurgling. Also, if you'd like to try something similar but want a little more spice I'd recommend Hearth & Home Louisiana Red. This tobacco is bound to become one of your favorites and I hope it stays around forever!!!

Roy Odhner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roy Odhner (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful burley-based tobacco with a mild chocolate liquor flavor, and that flavor translates well into the room note. However, unlike other OTC aromatics, it is not all sticky and goopy. SWRA is not just a jazzed-up version or SWR, but something quite different even if it is a basic burley blend tobacco - but I swear I catch a hint of Virginia leaf in here. I'm not even sure why Brown & Williamson even released under the SWR banner since it is so dissimilar, but I guess their marketing honchos had their reasons. No matter, it's still a wonderful blend that manages to strike a good balance between the tobacco base and liquor flavoring. I'd recommend it to any new pipe smoker, or to any experienced pipe smoker looking for an occasional "heavy" aromatic. Some would call this a light aromatic, but as a fan of "light" aromatics like MacB Scottish Mixture I think this is "heavy" by comparison. As such, this (and Finck's Money Bags, which I think is very similar) is the only "heavy" aromatic that I like... and I like SWRA a lot. Nothing refined or nuanced here, just a very pleasant smoke.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)

Interesting stuff this. It's barely aromatic, akin to a Scandinavian in some ways. The pouch aroma is pronounced; however, in the pipe this behaves very well, not too wet, never a soggy heel, and nary a pipe cleaner needed. In the air it does not smell like Rum cake, nor those heavily scented candle things that some of the women-folk tend to enjoy.

I prefer this one to the non-aromatic. The liqueurs add a few nice touches and make it a bit brighter, but not too much.

It doesn't need drying time, packs and burns great right to the bottom. And does not change all that much in the bowl as you combust your way down, which is good in my books. Far too often the aromatics start off great and deliver for the first third with the remaining thirds being a chore and one perseveres; virtually a Cardinal Sin to waste tobacco like food.

There is a slight freshly rolled cigar flavour to this, in a good way. And a hint of a Lakeland as well, without the soap. I have a strong aversion to soap harkening back to when I was a foul-mouthed youngling. None of this Kumbayah overindulged parenting BS. Proper form and manners were liberally dished-out by aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbours, et caetera.

Certainly not a tobacco epiphany, but a decent stalwart blend. Well suited for the morning paper and a strong black coffee. Perhaps gardening, fly fishing or duck hunting, hiking or camping. A competent tobacco for the outdoorsy types and seemingly tastes better in that setting, at least to me.

Since this burns very clean and cool one can pack a number of bowls in the same pipe. It's not overbearing and can be enjoyed consecutively. Of course if you put your best effort forward it'll burn hot and bite. Mind you any tobacco will if pushed too hard or numerous lights. One zealous chap I knew even got asbestos to bite.

Many will accuse me of being a mutineer on The Good Ship Pease; however, this stuff delivers bowl after bowl with the overall smoking experience superior in my view and more memorable than many Pease blends; regardless of being aromatic or not and excellent value to boot . . . enjoy.

UPDATE 2013, from 3* stars to 1*

I prefer not to update; however, the last two tins of this stuff are not smoking well at all. The pH is way out of whack; bites a lot. And the aromatic component has been reduced, not for the better I might add. I fully realise batches and harvests change, a shame really I quite enjoyed it. I might buy more in a year or two just to see.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE 10/11: I have found this to be the perfect "walking the dog" or "on the go" tobacco. It packs and lights so easily and you can puff it pretty good and it keeps burning cool and mellow. I have really gotten used to the aroma and flavor of this mild blend and come to really crave it. I have found I have gotten many compliments on the smell from strangers and I got the "ok" to smoke this in the house by the wife which is saying alot. Plus it burns dry which means my pipes don't get gooped up. Up-ing my review to 3 stars.

I had low expectations for this blend and was pleasantly surprised.

There is more bright VA in here than most folks realize (not just SWR regular with a topping on it) and the shag cut is super for packing, lighting and puffing. The tobacco is fairly dry, not goopy like a cavendish blend.

I find the topping to be familiar to orange liquor and it lasts the duration of the smoke. The taste and smell of this stuff is very similar which I have not experienced too often. This feature does become kind of annoying as you smoke more and more of it. It does ghost up a pipe so be aware if that is going to be an issue.

It is a crowd pleaser, or, maybe better stated, not a crowd offender.

It is very mild and could be an all day smoke if you are really into aros. I am not, but will keep some on hand for when the mood strikes.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (12)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I crossed paths with this old-school blend during my ongoing tour of the much-maligned "drug store" tobaccos. This is an excellent aromatic and maybe the overall best first tobacco for a neophyte piper. At around five dollars for an ounce-and-a-half pouch, it is a steal. It provides an easily-packed, one-light bowl that you can puff on like a steam engine climbing a five percent grade with no detectible tongue bite whatsoever. The room note garners the frequent complements usually reserved for more exotic boutique aromatics. I have it in a dead heat with Carter Hall as the most forgiving of all the "drug store" (read: venerable) blends for smokeability and overall enjoyment. I ran it past my most experienced brother of the briar in the form of a blind tasting telling him that it was a "drug store" blend. He nailed it soon after the charring light, thanked me for the bowl, allowed as how he used to smoke it by the pound, and still keeps a can on hand for times when a good, sturdy, straight-forward burley with a premium room note is the call. Recommended.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

If there is a tinned or elitist type mixture among the old line OTC, supermarket or so-called drug store blends then Sir Walter Aromatic comes the closest to that standard. I returned to SWR after trying the original orange packaged blend many decades ago as a teenager. At the time Brown & Williamson was offering a free booklet on how to use a pipe and particularly how to make a pipe packed with SWR taste better. The booklet was sent to me with a kindly note from a company staffer who recognized my youthful scribble and wrote "throw away that pipe my Lad - you're much too young to smoke!" I never forgot that advice but a few years ago, willy nilly, returned to the pipe smoker's life.

For my money Sir Walter Aromatic is a solid, substantial and consistent smoke: cool, rarely bites, pleasing mouth feel with taste and aromas from the special liqueur casing that make it sweetly memorable. Such a feature is rare among plebian or commoner genre blends - and its considered to have enough quality to be found often at many tobacconist dens. If I had to choose 3 reliable mixtures to take with me knowing I'd be isolated for a year or more from a good tobac source this would probably be one of them. Happy Hunting!

A bit of an unusual aromatic. This I received as a sample in a trade - somewhere just short of 2 oz. Upon sniffing the contents, I got an overpowering aroma of sweet fruitiness. I wasn't encouraged. However, the taste is of straight burley with a moderate amount of sweet casing. Don't trust the nose, I guess.

This narrow ribbon burned brilliantly and did not leave a wet heel. I got nothing even close to tongue bite. The flavor did not dissipate down the bowl. And therein lies the only real problem I found with this blend - the flavor. I just did not like it. It tasted like a sweetened Amaretto or something (isn't amaretto supposed to be bitter?) and it just didn't sit well with me there. It wasn't horrible - it just wasn't a flavor I enjoyed. A lot of aromatic blenders can learn a lot from this blend, such as how not to overdo the sauce and how to make a pleasant blend that smokes the same down the bowl. If the flavoring were something more to my taste, this would be an incredible aromatic.

And so, my rec of 2 stars is for my personal taste only, as is my custom with reviews. As a blend, however, this is something every aromatic lover should try to see if they like it. It's extremely well made, and represents the aromatic genre splendidly.

Thesir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thesir (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I picked up a pouch of Aromatic simply because it's not that much more expensive than Sir Walter Original around here. I was a bit surprised to see the cut of the leaf when I opened it but the smell wafting up comforted me that this was going to be just as good as most reviewers seem to think. I was not disappointed. In my briar pipe, it had a satisfyingly tasty aroma and taste. Although it wasn't a strong taste, it caught on every taste bud and held on to my attention. Everybody in the room found the smoke to smell excellent and it was only moments before everyone had a cigarette lit. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good tobacco with a good taste with little danger of biting.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)

Update: After considering the price, I've decided to give this stuff another star.

SWR aro is much better than the old standard SWR. It is a pleasant smoke but it does have a very slight bite. The casing gives it a subtle hint of chocolate liqueur. Of all the domestic blends, Carter Hall and SWR aro are the only two I would recommend. All the rest are either like cigarettes or they are smothered with sickeningly sweet gobs of artificial flavoring. My local tobacco shop has a house blend that is my favorite day-to-day blend and I smoke a pipe of Pembroke or McConnell's Oriental as a nightcap treat but I could be happy if SWR Aro was the only baccy available.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

There was this older clerk in my Army unit who smoked this blend in one of his goofy looking metal pipes that looked more like a slide harmonica than a pipe. Maybe that's why I never liked the blend until many years later: it was probably his pipe that smelled so bad, not the tobacco itself.

Anyway, I'm with one of the other reviewers who was curious to know which liquors were used to flavor this blend. When I inhale the aroma deeply from the cannister (I have a 12 oz. one), I get a sort of a chocolatey liqueur whiff from this blend. The room note is identical to the aroma in the can AS LONG AS you smoke slowly; otherwise you will get a gaseous, chemical-like odor to the smoke which is not at all pleasant. Not sure why that happens, but it does.

The fine ribbon cut burley packs easily and burns right down to the bottom of the bowl and, as with all burleys, no real bite as long as you smoke it slowly.

For a "drugstore" tobacco, you could do a lot worse, amigo.

mtnhkraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtnhkraz (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I purchased this because I saw a pouch in a local shop. I am new to pipe smoking but I do like a strong smoke. Burley is favorite so far, and this has that for sure. The liquor casing sounded interesting to me so I figured what the hey.

I open the pouch and on the first bowl I wasn't impressed at all. Tasted chemically and just not pleasant or enjoyable. I let is sit for a couple of weeks and tried a bowl again last night as I walked the dog. It tasted a lot better but still not what I am looking for.

I guess I am just no the aromatic type when it comes to this.

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

If you are a Burley fan (and I have to tell you, I'm really not) you really should try this blend. I bought two pouches on a recent trip to North Carolina and put the contents of both into a glass jar. My first two or three bowls were not all that enjoyable. They were fine, not terrible, but nothing that really inspired me. But since then, probably 3 or 4 more, it has developed into quite a nice smoke. I am still pretty new in terms of pipe smoking so I am still finding my way and discovering what I like and don't like. For comparisons sake, I really did not like C$D's Haunted Bookshop. It was just "too" Burley. SWRA, tho, has developed into a mellow, tasty, Burley smoke. It burns clean and dry, with maybe one relight halfway thru. As for the flavor/casing, at first I thought it seemed thin and even almost non-existent, but again, that too has developed since the initial few smokes. In conclusion, with all of that being said, I would give SWRA a solid 2 1/2 stars. I can't go for a full three stars on my own personal scale because I find that I am more of a Cavendish/VA smoker (e.g. Lane BCA/1- Q). I probably won't buy SWRA again because there is just a little more of that Burley "ashey-ness" than I personally care for. BUT, if you are a Burley fan, I think you might find this in the 3 - 3 1/2 star range.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

Being a fan of SWR regular I really wanted to like this. It has fallen a bit short for me though. Have only tried it in the pouch so far so maybe things will change if I get a can of it. I tend to think the "three imported liqueurs" is what makes it so un-enjoyable to me. Don't get me wrong, I like my booze but it belongs in a glass. I have yet to find a tobacco flavored with any kind of alcohol that I really like. Doesn't matter if it's a drug store blend or a top of the line mix.

It may be great for you but only gets two stars from me.

Update: 7/1/10 After finishing this pouch and being away from it for a week or so I decided I had to have it again. It just sort of grew on me. A much longer smoke than most other drug store blends. A single bowl lasts about twice as long. Just don't let it go out and try to relight it the next day. It can get rather nasty that way.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

The three liqueurs topping smells like brown sugar, and is very nice. The smoke is a bit harsh with rough edges, smells similar to the topping, not your typical nutty burly flavor. In fact, it has the tasty harshness similar to the virginia Danish offerings of Peter Stokkebye or Borkum Riff. I would bet there is some virginia in it. Smoke it reasonably and it will not bite, the aftertaste is pleasant.

For me it is a rough burly, or a middling blend of burly and virginia. Either way I feel more enjoyable blends are available, especially considering the current price ($30 for a 12 oz tin). On its own *, value for dollar spent . Try it, if you like it, try the Peter Stokkebye bulk blends, you may like them more and save some money.

Add 20% to 50% black cavendish and it becomes a very nice smoke, mixed flavors of vanilla and brown sugar, smoothes out the harshness and becomes a lot like Stokkebys Nougat. I won't buy more, but this was an easy salvage.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin aroma is of sweet caramel and coffee with a touch of grassy burley. The cut is a very fine, short ribbon; almost a shag.

The topping is dominantly syrupy and thick. Liberally sweetened, golden cavendish burley comprises the base, and magnifying the candy effect is a modicum of rich red VA and a few odd flecks dark cavendish.

A thoughtfully constructed blend, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic delivers the goods in that it smokes like it smells. Though an amiable smoke, I found it sweet at the outset and tedious over time. This will definitely ghost a briar and went well in a chamber of any gauge.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Where I live in Gods country this stuff costs $ 3.33 and is probably the best " drug store " blend out there .It's got a ribbon cut, burns clean ,smells nice and gets a little heavier near the end. I don't know if you can get this stuff hot ... burns real cool for me and the liqueurs flavor is there to almost halfway through the bowl then go bye bye. Easy to light and keep lit.The end of the bowl ends w/a little more burley flavor than virgina w/ just a little mositure. Good smoke .Update : Thought about it some more and for 3 .33 $ It should have 4 stars though it's a 3. Ya know what ? I'm gonna stock up on this blend and others ... i think the government bastards are gonna hike up the tax on pipe tobacco ... thanks obama supporters ....

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was shopping and spotted this on the shelf and as I have never tried it, and as rare as it is getting to find new blends on the shelf, I bought it to try. I am a big fan of SWR regular and I was hoping that this would be an aromatic version of that. it is not! It in no way is like SWR regular. The cut is more of a cigarette RYO cut, it does have a fabulous pouch aroma but in a Danish tobacco way. But, I figured if it tastes half as good as the sweet smell in the pouch, I might enjoy it. It is an all brown leaf and packs veery easy in the pipe. Upon lighting, it fires up with one light and maintains the light in a smoldering, constant way. Upon lighting up, it is very mild to the palette but the room note is great. It does gain flavor pretty fast but is not overwhelming in any way all the way down. It has a sweet and a tiny bit of soapiness to it but as I like Highland tobaccos I never found this bad. It just never blossomed into a tasty blend in any way, just too mild for my palette. I really thought with the SWR name, it would be a more beefy smoke and it never developed into that. It's worth a try, but I can't give it more than two stars as it does not excite in any way. I wish that blends within a name would keep the good points of the main blend or just change their name completely.

gillywalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gillywalker (5)

I went on a drugstore tobacco kick the past two weeks. The funny thing is I can't find a majority of the classics in the Chicagoland area and had to order this one from online. When you factor in the shipping costs you might as well just order something by Cornell and Diehl or GL Pease.

This had my favorite room note out of all the drugstore blends. By itself in the pouch it smelled like a good dessert. The ribbon cut made for easy packing and this stuff burned extremely easy, one light and that was it. This stuff must be cased in something strange because I had two nasty headaches after smoking it and I feel now I had some sort of allergic reaction to the chemicals.

If you're looking for a decent smelling burley blend thats sure to please others at an affordable price this may be your blend.

MSUMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MSUMike (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The first tobacco I picked up for my first $5 ebay estate pipe. It was good enough to encourage me to sink a few more dollars into the hobby. I picked it up under the assumption that being flavored with liqueurs and not cased in syrup it would not be overpoweringly sweet and was rewarded. After all, if I wanted to smoke sugar I would shove a Snickers into my pipe.

I find the ribbon cut makes this a very forgiving pack. I thought I was a natural at packing and maintaining my pipe! Turns out I was wrong...

I did find that a day open (accidentally) did help the moisture content.

For a mild aromatic that you can still tell is tobacco at a rock bottom price I would recommend it. However, I have not touched it since I started frequenting my tobacconist here in Cincinnati and found better bulk blends at a very reasonable price.

I have a bit remaining and will break it out soon.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

My first try with this baccy. Upon upening the tin, I was hit with a strong aroma of black walnuts and chocolate. Wow, this was going to be one sweet smoke, Right? Wrong! First off, had a few sticks to pull out of the first filling. I am developing a strong aversion to sticks in tobaccos and this one is a duzzy. Started out picking sticks out of the whole 12 ounces and wound up with almost 1/2 ounce of just sticks - some that I would like to call logs.

OK. Start over with filling the pipe. Packs easily and evenly. Lights easily and didn't even need a second match. After initial tamp, settled down to really enjoy this smoke and it went downhill from there. No sweetness or nice aroma to be found. Never got hot or bit but started strong and continued to get stronger as the bowl went toward the bottom. No real particular tobacco taste or flavorings to enjoy, just strong! OK, must be the pipe. Maybe I hadn't cleaned it as well as I should. Grab another pipe and start over. Everything was as the first bowl full. Started strong and got stronger. This time, I had to quit after the first 3/4 of the bowl because I couldn't stand it any longer.

I'm really disappointed because of all the really good reviews that went before me which made me try this to start with. This seems to confirm a couple of beliefs that I have had for a long time about tobaccos; 1. That you can always get a bad batch, which I probably did; 2. Everybody's taste for tobacco is different exclusive of the particular taste qualities. I have noticed that some tobaccos that I find strong, some of my favorite reviewers find perfect or mild and vice versa, etc.

I will not downgrade this popular blend based upon my experience alone. I will keep it for possible blending tests and probably give it a couple more tries in the future. It certainly is no killer and you just might like it, so I'll give it a 2 for good measure.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)

UPDATE: 4/1/2008 The propylene glycol or whatever humectant they use on this leaves for me a bitter/metallic after-taste that I really dislike.

I haved an EXTREME aversion to propylene glycol and other "un-natural" humectants - they leave a terrible taste in my mouth and sometimes make me ill - ruins the whole experience.

Why OH Why can't they just use a little distilled water or Mc-Vinegar? This is the only downside I find to this dependable, pleasant burley blend.

I still like this blend more than I dislike it. Bought some last week and still smoking it.

ORIGINAL: 9/20/2007: VA lovers may like this one, as I do. It is a lightly cased Burly that burns well and evenly. Though I don't buy this regularly anymonre, I still like it in autumn outdoors or while on the farm hunting - just seems to fit for me at that time of year.

A readily available smoke that is a go-to for me. I like the aroma, very different and pleasing.

Medium to light nicotine and it can bite, though not often in my experience when I take care to be conscious of my packing and puffing technique.

This blend is on the dry side - a good thing.

You can spend a LOT more and get a LOT worse.

Thanks,

Ethan

Amos Iron Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amos Iron Wolf (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

UPDATE 01/02/2008: I've had to lower this to two stars. I've had some pouches around for a little while. On opening, the moisture is good still. However, I've had the ferret pop its head out a few times now. I used to enjoy this blend a lot, but lately it seems a bit hit and miss. ============================================================

I originally tried this based on the reviews here and as part of my drug store tour. The first bowl or two it was not bad, then suddenly, as one reviewer put it, it "...bit like a rabid ferret." I thought, "You guys on TobaccoReview.Com must be nuts to rate this so high!" Not wanting to toss it away I figured to save it to blend with something later. I did use about half of that pouch in some blends. I tossed the pouch with the remaining leaf into a plastic zip bag followed by another toss into a very large cigar box I use to keep some tobaccos in. Hmmm, you may be wondering, why the three stars then?

A month and a half later I decided to give this one another try, carefully mind you. Wow, what a difference. What I had been cursing only a short time ago was suddenly a great smoke. I'd been smoking a lot of English blends and was looking for something a little different without being all goop and sludge like so many aromatics. This one had just the right touch of sweetness without being cloying. What once was despised was now finding its way into my pipes frequently. Which of course meant the remainder of that pouch was going away really fast.

I decided that I needed to check this out some more. I will guess that some tobaccos are hitting the shelves a little before they should these days. I've heard some complain of this with high dollar blends as well. It makes even more sense that lesser priced, pouch tobacco producers would cut a corner or two on the aging, sending a blend out the door before its time. Even the tin description notes, "Our unique combination of tobaccos is aged just long enough to ripen to maturity." With this one it may have also been the liqueurs that needed a chance to air a bit that caused the sudden attack.

I was liking this a lot and didn't want it to end. So, I picked up two more pouches with the understanding I may have to let it set a while. So far, the first of the new pouches has rewarded me with a nice smoke. The ferrets have had their rabies shots. This is one tobacco I think needs a proper time to mellow and marry the flavors. It may not always get that before it is shipped.

The smoke is enjoyable, with a nice, rounded sweetness that works with the tobacco taste and doesn't cover it up. While I know this is an aromatic in the technical sense, it doesn't register that way with me. I think aromatics and I think wet, syrupy flavored tobacco with strong aromas and either minimal tastes or cloying, heavy tastes. I also think of hot, wet air and tongue bite. Not so with SWR Aromatic. The tobacco is moist, but not wet. It doesn't leave a sopping, sticky dottle in your pipe, though you will probably have a slightly moist, clean dottle that pops out nicely. The smoke is flavorful with just enough moisture to not dry out your throat as some English blends can. I'm starting to wonder what blending this half and half with some bulk English would be like.

SWR Aromatic doesn't leave a heavy, lingering odor in the room or car like most aromatics. It seems to be short lived like English blends or VA's.

I always approach a newly purchased pouch with an understanding that I may get a too fresh pouch. I hope to try the canister a bit later. I would suggest getting a few pouches and setting some aside to age a few months and as you are finishing one pouch, put a new pouch to the back of the line in your stock.

I would give this 3.5 stars if I could. I'm holding off on the final star because this can get a little acrid/ashy/sour (you know, that burley thing) towards the end of the bowl as many burley based blends can. Also because there is always that lingering concern that a rabid ferret might have slipped into a pouch. Despite my terrible experience with this at first, I've come to like this blend a lot. Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic is now a steady in my rotation. At this price I can lay some in to mellow a little. Maybe leave a pouch in the car with a cob or older briar, stuff some in my jacket with a nosewarmer... You get the idea. Smoke it at a reasonable pace and enjoy.

Flintlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintlock (14)

I am still new to writing reviews and have hastily made remarks on tobaks and later changing my mind after puffing a few more bowls. I will attemp not to do this any longer in order to be fair. My one big exption is if I smoke something again like Captian Black Cherry. Barf! DO NOT EVER try it!

After reading some of the more recognized reviewers, I purchased a pouch of SWRA and smoked the entire pouch before making a decision. If I had reviewed it after my first bowl, I would not have rated it the same.

My decision is that for a drug store tobak, it aint bad. I have had very bad experiences with other drug store blends, but I will have to say that this is an exception.

My taste varies more than some smokers who either like aromacis or Engilsh blends, but not both. I like the taste of latakia, but because the wife doesn't care for the room note, so I smoke it on the golf course or working in the yard. I also like aromaatics, but finding one's that doesn't smoke too hot or ewt is a chore. I have though found a few that actually smoke rather dry or at least leave little dottle. SWRA smokes dry all the way down and doesn't get bitter toward the bottom of the bowl. Please note that I did open the puch and let it sit for about a month before smoking it to let it dry out a bit.

Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic is a blend that while is a little bland on the taste side, still provides me with smoking satisfaction. The room note is also pleasant which pleases bystanders.

I will give this drug store blend a three star rating and will smoke it again in the future, but will not keep it in my regular rotation. However, it is good for a change of pace.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I remember when this tobacco came out in the mid 1970's. The Sunday Roto section of the newspaper had a coupon to send in for a free pouch. The ad invited smokers to test drive a pouch, along with a photo showing a pair of tan driving gloves along with the black pocket pouch.

I bought a pouch while visiting a few weeks ago, haven't seen it in my area for some time. (However, the regular SWR is still sold in my area.) I remember this tobacco as having much, much more flavor and strength years ago. My current pouch smoked with very little flavor, although it is supposed to be an aromatic. Very much a non descript tobacco, with a whiff of aromatic flavoring.

Will buy an occasional pouch when I see it, for nostalgia purposes. However, very much preferred to overflavored stuff like Borkum Riff or Captain Black.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

This one seems to have found a place in my regular rotation via the long route. For quite some time I have taken a tour of the old school "over the counter" burlies, SWR Aromatic came up and at the time, maybe having smoked nothing but burlies over several months, I found this blend just OK, not unpleasant but not real remarkable either. In retrospect, I think I was just suffering from Burley burnout. Having smoked nothing but for several months, they all began to taste pretty similar. I put my pouch away for a month or so and decided to diversify my tobaccos. Getting away from "all burley, all the time" I put a virgina blend and an English/Latakia blend into the mix. There was also a burley blend in the mix but this way, I never seemed to smoke so much of any one type of tobacco that they all seemed the same. And so it was for a month or two until this morning, when I dug out my old pouch of SWR Aromatic. While I wouldn't necessarily call this an aromatic, it does have a very nice room note. Smoking wise, burley runs the show though and typical of its type, it's a straight forward, no nonsense burley. I would clearly sit this blend in the "Lawn Work tobacco" section. One of those blends that simply and quietly does its job while you concentrate on other things. Nothing super fancy but a smooth nice tasting tobacco with great smoking manners and a very good room note. I don't have pipes dedicated to aromatic mixtures as I can't live with the nicotine content of most aromatics but no worries here. Plenty of nicotine in this and not a goopy aromatic that will leave a huge footprint and ruin a pipe dedicated to burlies. Highly recommended for newbies and aromatic lovers looking for something with a bit more umph that still smells pretty good. Also a nice break for folks like me who occassionally just want something a little lighter and different.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

Ok, I know that there are a lot of pipe smokers out there who turn their nose up at any "Drug Store Blends", but I am not one of them. I enjoy many VaPer blends, English blends, and quite a few "high end" Aromatics. BUT I do love quite a few "Drugstore Blends" and this is now one of them. I CANNOT say enough good things about SWR Aromatic! I purchased a 12 ounce tub from JR Cigar for $16, seeing several good reviews here. And boy! Am I glad I did. This, IMHO, is one of the FINEST inexpensive aromatics I have ever smoked. The liqueur topping is wonderful, you just want to scoop a big handful out of the tub and eat it! ( NO, I did not go that far! ) It packs easily, this is a ribbon cut, which is different than the regular SWR, which I also enjoy. It burns exremely well, has a wonderful flavor, and an excellent room note. ( My partner says it smells like carmelizing sugar, and friends have said it smells like sugar cookies baking) This blends requires few relights, has NO tonguebite, little nicotine, and burns down to an ash, leaving little to no dottle. I have been puffing away on this for about a week in many different pipes I have dedicated to aromatics, and it is wonderful in any sized bowl. It especially burns well in large bowled pipes and Meerschaums. I will ALWAYS have a tub of SWR Aromatic around, as I ALWAYS have a tub of the regular SWR around! HIGHLY recommended!!

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have a confession to make. Recently, at my monthly Pipe Club meeting, I took a 14oz sealed tin of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic that had been sitting in my "cellar" for a couple of years to share with the group. I cannot speak to what others think of the blend, (it never turned sour or bitter on me, the after taste was sweet and tobaccoey and my wife loved the smell that lingered on my moustashe) and I really liked it -- a lot!

Unlike the dry, cube cut non-aromatic version, this was more of a shag cut and was at just the right moisture level. Upon popping the lid, the smell was semi-sweet and very unique. I packed a full bowl in a well used Krempp 1/8 bent stacked billiard that I normally reserve for Latakia blends. The initial lighting caused a thick and wonderfully fragrant smoke/aroma. The taste was of quality Burley with an unidentifiable, yet pleasant casing that added to the enjoyment. I smoked my usual 3/4 of a bowl and when I dumped the dottle, it was mostly dry - no goop at all. I smoked the bowl fairly rapidly with absolutely not even a hint of tongue bite. I cannot wait to work my way through the rest of the tin. I do not know what this stuff will taste like from a pouch (I have found the pouch versions of most "drugstore" type tobaccos to be less impressive than the tinned versions for some reason) but I think many of you - particularly the aromatic crowd - will find this to be pleasing. I like a lot of nicotine in my smoke and this stuff has it, yet it is not particularly heavy in the nicotine department. Just a totally satisfying smoke.

Okay, flog me if you must, but this "drugstore" blend really is a winner -- IMO, of course.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

This is a weird one! I gave it a try after reading some reviews, and remembering that my friends and I in high school used to buy the regular SWR blend and roll cigs with it.

Opening the pouch was a little "pewey" to me. I am not a fan of aromatics, but can enjoy them if the aren't overwhelming and I can still taste the tobacco. I really thought this stuff would smoke disgusting, so I tried it in a cob first.

It lit right up, and seemed to just take off and smoke on its own. I have to agree with a lot of the reviewers here in saying that it was rather bland in taste, though very pleasant in aroma. The flavor itself was more or less like a watered down burley. I like burleys for the "on the go" type of feel they give me, and for the nicotine. If this is a burley, it must be heavily diluted with something else.

I will say that it was very mild; no bite and no faint BO smell like some of the cheaper burleys. Its aroma reminded me a little of pecan pie for some reason, and once in awhile a little of that came through on the palate, but not enough to really satisfy my taste buds. I had the same results in a good briar as in the cob. I can't say I was disappointed, because I had no great expectations. Often I find myself picking up on little nuances of flavor that others miss, so I thought I would try it. Nope, it's just not there.

Devil Eyes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devil Eyes (2)

This is my favorite pipe tobacco of all time. It's the first thing I smoke everyday on the way to work. It makes the inevitable drive to work much more tolerable and sometimes just relaxing and pleasant.

As for the taste I find it to be kind of sweet but definitely not obnoxiously so and it gets better the longer it burns developing a more rich and rewarding taste. I've also never experienced any bite which I find be it's best quality.

This is the kind of smell I remember from my youth when my old man smoked a pipe. The aroma brings back memories of days gone by and the happiness awarded to me with the knowledge my father had come home from a long days work.

This is my favoite, hands down, nothing has even really come close.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is nothing like the original SWR. It is a ribbon-cut burley blend, laced with spirits. I'll give it this--it has one of the most enticing pouch aromas I've ever had the pleasure of smelling.

When lit, however, most of the aroma disappears, leaving one with a slightly piquant burley smoke. Nothing remarkable, but not bad.

Note that this blend contains coumarin, an ingredient used in rat poison. Not being a chemist, I have no idea whether it's good or bad for you, but the investigating I did made it sound like something I wouldn't want in my pipe tobacco.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The pouch I bought was dry and the tobacco smelled of maple and coffee to me. Very pleasant. It was very easy to light. It produced a prodigious amount of light grey smoke, and the flavor was mild and pleasant to start. However, much like its drabber sibling, it turns very sour halfway through the bowl. I can't imagine going through a 12-14 ounce tin of this stuff. But I know there are many who do. If you enjoy sour flavors this stuff might work for you. The room note is nice, and the aftertaste is very much like boiled peanuts.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)

It's summertime and often this time of year I will experiment with various burley blends that I can purchase on my way home from work at the grocery or quick stop. I took to smoking S.W.R regular on my drives home and at the lake and found it enjoyable. I decided to give this tobacco a try after reading reviews on it on this site and found a friendly manager at Food For Less that didn't mind ordering in a 14 oz can for me. On opening the can I was very impressed with the smell and feel of the tobacco and could not wait to get it in my pipe. It lit very well and burned and tasted great! Actually it is the only aromatic blend that I have ever been able to enjoy in the heat of summer. My wife and family is pleased as they really like the smell. I have smoked half of the can in the last couple of weeks and have to say that I have not had a bad moment. I imagine I will obtain another can and keep it in my regular rotation. I would like to find more info on the blending and making of this blend it is very unique.

vmalloc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vmalloc (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After seeing a surprising number of positive reviews for this 'drugstore' blend, I figured I'd give it a shot. I can't say I'm dissapointed, though I think I got ripped off ($4.50 for a pouch? Yeah right!).

The tobacco in the pouch was drier than most pipe tobaccos I see, which might indicate it was sitting on that shelf near the window for a while.

Aroma is pretty good, I think 'liqueur' smell is the best way to describe it. Someone above mentioned maple, if he was referring to sweet maple syrup he was close. The taste of the casing isn't too strong, but it's definetely adding something. I wish it was a little stronger, but most people probably wouldn't. It can bite, but I've never been one to complain about a little spice.

Another thing I noticed is that this is about the best burning pipe tobacco I've ever had (I'm sure due in part to added burning chemicals, though I can't say I don't appreciate them). I can pack a thick bowl, get the top going and go all the way to the bottom without going out. Infact, you have to be careful with your smoking, overheating this blend gives a particularly nasty variation of that grease flavor.

Overall a very impressive blend, probably the best drugstore brand I've found so far. I've stopped sniping at my other blends and have focused on this since I got it, which is probably a sign that I enjoy it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Sir Walter is a classic that I felt I had to try at least once. Once was enough.

The pouch aroma was just so-so. A bit on the weak side. Smelled more like burley than liquor, which surprised me. The ribbon cut packed and lit well.

Lighting was easy, and it stayed lit well. The taste was very weak, but it sure did let me know it was there - it bit like a cornered wolverine. I didn't expect that from a burley blend. I smoke burley a lot, and have never gotten bitten like this.

Left the bowl fairly dry, Subsequent smokes of this blend were about the same as the first try - though I did manage to get the bite somewhat under control.

In the end, it is too much work to keep it from biting badly, and the flavor returned for your efforts just isn't worth it. Many suggest this for the first time smoker. I disagree - it's too quick to bite the unwary.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Aromatic was a real surprise to me. The Original Sir Walter is an O.K. tobacco but nothing really great just a plain and simple burley that seems to have a faint citrus casing. Knowing that I did not have high hope for the aromatic blend assuming it would just include a bit more citrus. After reading some favorable reviews on here about it, I bit the bullet and bought a pouch. Wow what a shock! This actually tastes good. Real good. The pouch smell is to die for smelling very sweet and full sort of like a fine liqueur which is exactly what the casing consists of good figure. The aroma when burning is very pleasant and is pleasing to smokers and non-smokers alike. The taste is full flavored with the natural tobacco taste coming through the whole time. The casing seems to enhance the flavor of the natural tobacco without over powering it, or masking an inferior blend of tobacco. The room note left over when finished is very pleasant, like a good potpourri. What really stumps me is how can a company produce this tobacco and regular Sir Walter at almost the same price point. For a 25 cents more in my area for a 1.5 oz pouch, you get a tobacco that is of 10 times better quality leaf plus a flavor that is at least as good if not better than most expensive aromatics. When you factor in quality and the price this tobacco cannot be beat. I enjoyed this one immensely and it is definitely one of my favorites it not my all time favorite. Save yourself the trouble, and skip right over the other cheapies at the store and go right for Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic a true sleeper tobacco blend.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've now tried this blend a couple of times in the past couple of years. Once, to try something new and the other time because I was in the middle of Nowheresville and was without!

The fresher of the two pouches that I tried reminded me of a tamed down Bourkum Riff Whiskey. Better Burley taste and less goopy. This was the "try something new pouch".

The Nowheresville pouch cost $1.79 and was drier. It had been countered for apparently some time. The liqueurs in this pouch was less profound and the Burley taste was surprisingly very good tasting.

If your in the middle of nowhere and empty, try this blend. But pick the oldest dustiest pack you can find.