The famous Royal Scot, a most aromatic blend, remains unique and unlike any other aromatic ever made. The flavoring for this classic mixture has been a closely held secret for over 100 years. This melange of plugged Virginia, North Carolina and Burley can be smoked as is, or used to enhance your own favorite blend.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Strength
Mild to Medium, Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium
2.9
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Strong Mild Strong

The Bicentennial. Gerald R. Ford. Blond American Cavendish. A vanilla sundae. My late mother-in-law used to say: "Ned, you smell like a pastry shop"! As aromatics go, this was a classic. It certainly went with plaid bell-bottoms and extra-wide, burnt-tangarine ties. Gosh, never again.

Girls with white lipstick used to love it, though.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Royal Scot is an old, very high quality aromatic. This is how aromatics used to be--strange in flavor (to our modern sensibilities), mild in strength, lightly cased, and without black cavendish.

The flavor of this blend is hard to describe: a kind of minty, piquant essence, which mostly disappears when lit. Burley dominates the flavor as you puff. It's not enough to keep me coming back, but it's nice to try this pleasant old blend from the 1870s--every once in a while, that is.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

I believe this is Wilke?s oldest blend, having been around for more than a century. Why this stuff endures is anybody?s guess; nostalgia perhaps. I smoked it with a friend of mine and the only thing that came to my mind was Zeppo Marx?s line: ?I wanna tootsie frootsie ice cream!? It?s a cross between a musty English blend and a drug store coated affair slathered in cherry phosphate, nuts and whipped cream. This should be called Schrafft?s Surprise.

One of five stars

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I really like the tobaccos coming from Pipeworks & Wilke. Very high quality and unique. Give some of them a try.

Royal Scot is the Norman Rockwell of pipe tobaccos. While an aromatic, it has nothing in common with the typical cased, PG coated, completely tasteless, flavor-challenged, black cavendish blends. Nothing. I have no idea what the aromatic is comprised of (it is a secret) but it is truly unique and tasty (and I normally do not like aromatics). I have to imagine this is how aromatics were made in the old days. No sticky spray nozzels of stuff or sickly black cavendish. Just high quality leaf aged with a natural aromatic essence. In a way it reminds me of the gently perfumed Lakeland tobaccos, without the awful "soapy" essence.

The cut is just great. True Americana. Moist chunky plug cut VAs with nutty Burley. Moderate nicotine punch. Burns clean and dry with no goop at all. Very pleasant room aroma.

Give this a try. While it may be too different for some, I think it is one of those unique old-school aromatics that all pipe smokers should try at least once.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Scot is definitely not a full aromatic. It is a mild blend, flavored with a distinctive top dressing. What the flavoring is I couldn't tell you. It is indeed a mystery. If I had to describe it, I would say it reminded me of some pastry I have tried, and there is a hint of buttercreme to it. It is not particularly sweet. I could taste the tobacco just fine, but I can tell you that Carolina is a neutral tasting leaf, and helps keep blend mild. This may be why some feel the flavoring is stronger than it is. It also lightens the nicotine level. It left my palate clean, and ready for another pipe.

This is gentle, pleasant, and undemanding. Sasha is right. This would be a good blend for the morning. It would also be a good choice for the lover of mild, Burley based aromatics. This was certainly designed for the all day smoker, who didn't want to be overwhelmed with a complex blend, requiring careful technique. This packs, lights and smokes with very little effort. There is absolutely no goo on this one. It ends dry and clean as a whistle.

An old American classic, certainly worth trying.

P.S. The more I smoke this, the more I like it

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Another fine aromatic from Pipeworks&Wilke. Although I don't usually like and smoke aromatics, theirs are enjoyable and without the horrible characteriscs of the black cavendish ones. This made me smile because it smells exactly like the typical Italian Easter cake in form of a dove, so I thought it was the perfect tobacco to smoke in this period! It's definitely aromatic, you can't detect a lot under the flavour, but it burns well, cool and above all dry. The flavour is given for sure by some vanilla, probably with a pinch of anice. The body is light and without any kind of evolution, but the flavour keeps up to the end of the bowl. Good one for the morning.

Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Let me say one thing about htis blend: It can save ANY ENGLISH BLEND THAT DID NOT MEET YOUR ORIGINAL EXPECTATIONS!!That being said the blend by itself is quite unusual and sweet. I like it,BUT it is an ACQUIRED TASTE and some people will simply not be able to do that given the characteristics of this blend. I will say, as a blending agent, it will transform any English blend into a wonderful aromatc-english mixture. I will for that purpose alone keep it handy. Try an ounce in the sampler and you will see what I mean.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A blending component of many Pipeworks and Wilke tobaccos, this one starts out rather innocuously in the jar with a very mild, almost neutral aroma. Presentation is on the finer side of ribbon cut.

While shipped moist, this blend takes a match very well and burns straight through, without ever becoming hot. Absolutely no bite in this blend, and I pushed it hard looking for the breakpoint. I never found it.

Sipped, Royal Scot is an outstanding Aromatic: slow-burning and cool, dry- smoking, with a very unique flavoring that I would describe as cotton candy without the cloying sweetness, with hints of caramel and vanilla. Just a nice, naturally sweet taste that is subtle enough that you don't forget you're smoking tobacco, rather than chemicals and flavoring agents. Room note receives positive feedback.

This is clearly the mystery ingredient that makes so many Pipeworks and Wilke blends so pleasant, particularly their unique mild English blends and English Aromatics.

A very interesting and unique blend. While seemingly used primarily as an ingredient in other blends, Royal Scot is a very enjoyable blend in its own right. While this blend is too mild for my preferences and wouldn't do for my everyday smoke, I would strongly recommend this for novice pipe smokers suffering tongue bite, as none can be found here. Also for those who enjoy very mild, pleasantly aromatic blends that are not goopy or overdone. Where this blend shines, in my opinion, is as a mixer with other blends. I must agree with the poster from way back in 2004 who commented on the magic this can bring to English blends.

redraider2X1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
redraider2X1 (3)

Don't know what its in this tobacco, but it is great. Just too bad that Pipeworks and Wilke are now only making it available in some of their blends.

TomT_90GT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TomT_90GT (2)

I'm fairly new to pipes, but have tried a variety of tobaccos, including four from Wilke. I'd say Royal Scot is definitely one of my favorites. Not truly an aromatic, but there is still that hint of something interesting. Leaves a good clean aftertaste of pure tobacco unlike some other aros I've tried. Burns well and clean down to dry ash. With some other tobaccos, it helps to leave them out to dry a bit before smoking, but Wilke's seem to be always ready to load up and light. Just finished up my first 2 oz of this and placed another sampler order with Carole, but HAD to make one of them Royal Scot again.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend has quickly become one of my favorites. The flavor is hard to put my finger on but reminds me of vanilla ice cream. Very light topping that lets the base tobaccos shine through. There is no black cavendish in this blend, its a mix of browns. The blend is just perfect for a stroll as it does not overheat nor goop up ones pipe rarely needing a pipe cleaner. The aroma is to die for as my girlfriend swoons over this one and i always love the room note after i leave the room and enter again later. Delightful chunky blend, i see why it has withstood the test of time!