A complex blend of Virginias from Brazil, Zimbabwe, and Malawi, enhanced with the addition of 8% sun-cured leaf for sweetness, 8% latakia for the character and coolness, and 2% Malawi burley for body. It is then pressed into bricks and sliced into flake form, then sliced again into small squares for easy filling. The addition of cocoa, chocolate, and vanilla essence only adds more character to an already outstanding tobacco. The resultant flake is cool burning, nicely rounded and provides superb room aroma and fantastic flavors for the smoker.

Notes: A fine cut mixture of Virginia, latakia and burley tobaccos, with chocolate, cocoa and vanilla flavorings. This is a similar blend to Bob's Chocolate Flake, but with a different cut and slightly different flavorings.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

3.1

Virginia and Burley in a square cut - hence the name. The first mixture to claim the inclusion of latakia where I could not taste it. Sometimes I even taste it when it's purportedly not there! Not even sure it did anything to this blend.

There was a bit of Lakeland essence but it didn't bring chocolate to mind. No, this is not a version of Bob's Chocolate Flake. The flavor reminded me of spices, like a light clove. Someone else mentions bergamot. Perhaps. There's something there but it was light in my batch but remained throughout the bowl. The scent was proto-typical G&H. If you enjoy Lakelands, this one can't miss for you. It's a medium-bodied tobacco with a fairly good nicotine hit, yet it's easy on the tongue. Even puffed rapidly, this one didn't bite. Furthermore, the flavor continued - a mix of light sweetness and warm spices. Also had kind of a bready quality with some toastiness.

This tobacco is an unqualified success. I just bought 2 more 500 gram boxes. One of the 2 or 3 best G&H tobaccos I've ever smoked and possibly one of the 10 best overall. If you're a Lakeland fan, this is not to be missed!

UPDATE 10/27/11

Ok, without trying to add to the confusion but merely attempting to clear it up for myself - all I can say is that I've been smoking a lot of this since my last review. It's in my Top 10 of tobaccos. I recently smoked a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake. Based on my own taste buds, the only thing similar about the two blends is the name "Bob". They may have the same tobacco proportions but the flavors are totally different. Bob's Square Cut is a 4 star blend and I can barely muster 2 stars for Bob's Chocolate Flake. So if you're going into this blend with the expectations that it's some slightly different version of BCF, you may be sadly disappointed. Then again, you may be richly rewarded, whether it smokes like an amped-up BCF to you or not. ;)

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There are tobaccos with more Lakeland essence than this, though it is an important player here as it does tone down the tobaccos a little. The Cyprian latakia must be lightly present because I only notice a slight smoke and woody sweetness from it. The toasted, nutty, earthy burley seems a little more prominent than the cirtusy, grassy Virginia, which also has a touch of earth. The chocolate note is present in most every puff. For some reason, smoking this reminds me of being in a pine tree grove. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. No chance of bite or harshness. Has a very consistent dry floral taste with a little sweetness. Burns reasonably well for a broken flake, though I do have to relight a few times. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. The after taste lingers a little.It's not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Mine is labeled unscented.....it isn't. Has a fairly strong Lakeland scent that completely covers any chocolate/cocoa/vanilla flavor that may have been added. I can faintly detect the Latakia. I cannot detect the Burley. The Virginias are tasty with a generic tobacco kind of flavor. With all of that said I still like this smoke. I should probably give this 2 stars for GH's deceptive description, but I like it enough to show some forgiveness. It gets 3 for being a pleasant and satisfying smoke.

Medium in body and taste. Lakeland is mild to medium, very nearly just medium. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: Chacom cutty, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

My sample noted it was 'unscented,' and to my surprise, it was. . .unscented. No, really. Basic VAs with a hint of Latakia in the bag and in the bowl. There wasn't even that touch of menthol/pine that I detect in most unscented GH blends. This was just a decent basic blend with that touch of Latakia. The broken flakes (or maybe 'broken 'squares') packed nicely but were a bit resistant to being lit. Once going, however, it stayed alight easily. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not often.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, & meers

Purchased From: smoking pipes

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

One of those tobaccos when you take one step back after opening the first time because the smell is so much different to those of the common aromatic tobaccos. This one is considered a Lakeland soapy tobacco but the aroma is not overpowering and let's the tobacco "speak" its own voice. A very pleasant all-day tobacco, can some it as is or rubbed out, wet or dry, it never goes bitter or harsh. One of my favourite ones.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First, this IS NOT one of the more heavily scented varieties from G&H. There is most certainly a suggestion of Kendal botanicals, but it is by no stretch overpowering. Chocolate--yes, there's a touch in both the taste and the aroma of the smoke, but it's soft and subdued and displays more of a malted quality. (This chocolate malted flavor reminds me of the flavor that I find in G&H Scotch Flake, but it is a little more pronounced here.) And licorice too--I distinctly taste licorice. The smoke exhibits a pleasant "musty/dusty" property (I believe that it is imparted to the tobacco in the steaming process) and I find this trait to be rather appealing. Overall the flavor of the tobacco and the touch of essences are pretty well-integrated.

I have also smoked Bob's Chocolate Flake (in the tin) and it tastes different to me than Bob's Square Cut (bulk), but the variances that exist may be no greater than any other tobacco available in a tin and bulk version. I don't mean to imply that these two blends are alike because they smoke differently, but I am reasonably certain that they sprout from the same branch of the family tree. It's a matter of tastes, but I tend to prefer the bulk version over the tin because the flavors are better melded together--Chocolate Flake acts more like a "mixture" than a "blend". If you're looking for something completely different in a Latakia blend, this isn't it! The Latakia is just a VERY minor player--it's only there for seasoning.

Similar Blends: Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

In reading the prior reviews there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on this one and sadly I think I'll be adding to the confusion. I DO think BSC has some similarities to GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake, but it is NOT the same blend. There is also confusion because I am told that it is called BSC "Unscented" from GH, but I don't this there is a scented version, at least not in the US. The "Unscented" IS actually quite cased. clear as mud?

I am huge fan of Bob's Chocolate Flake when it's well aged. I find Bob's Square Cut to be heavier cased than BCF with less chocolate and other added flavors, at least one of which tastes like florals. I smoke BCF in the same pipe as other GH scented blends, but I find the casing so intense with this blend that for me, it mainly stays in a cob. It's a full on aromatic for sure, Lakeland style. It does smoke best with some dry time and smoked in a small bowl. I will cellar a small amount to see if age treats this as well as BCF, but given the choice, I will reach for Bob's Chocolate Flake and the other GH scented flakes before reaching for Bob's Square Cut. Lovers of Lakeland aromatics should have this on their "must try" list.

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mine is also labelled unscented but after jarring for couple days I can smell Lakeland which in not very strong and yes a hint on Latakia. Crushed some bigger chunks and let it dry for 10mins fills bowl easily and on first light gives whasp of Lakeland aroma which fainted by quarter of bowl and some occasional chocolate and faint Latakia played nice role. Very nice slow burning all in all I enjoyed the smoke and definitely will reach out for it again.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bob's Square Cut.

The pouch contains a selection of flakes, varying in size. The aroma from the pouch is confusing, it smells slightly sweet yet the smoke's a different story. The moisture's good.

It lights up easily enough, and gives a smoke which has a perplexing flavour. Perplexing, because there's no chocolate or vanilla, but there's a waft of bitterness. A little Lakeland-like, a touch floral, some alcoholic sharpness, and outright disgusting. Of the tobaccos I get the most flavour from the Burley, the Lat's lightly applied, and the Virginia's redundant.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: tolerable.

Very disappointing:

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Waterford XL11

Age When Smoked: One month

Mouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mouse (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite GH flakes. Very lightly scented, a chocolaty note that I believe comes from the burley in the blend, if there is latakia it is minimal and merely adds its part to the gestalt. Rubbed out and smoked in a large bowl the flake can be a bit overpowering, but left whole and sipped in a mid to small bowl it really shines.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I admit it: I'm partial to traditional English soapy blends. I'm half British and that can be a reason, but I really love Lakeland flakes, St.Bruno, Condor and the like. If you like them too, I suggest you to dedicate a couple of pipes just to this kind of blends, because they leave an almost indelible mark. And make sure those pipes are little, because they usually deliver a serious nicotine punch. Like this one. From the beginning it provides a strong smoke, both in flavour and in nicotine amount. At half bowl the flavour has tapered (but never disappears)and you start tasting the tobacco, which is good for sure (but where's the latakia? I couldn't detect it). Be careful and smoke it slow, otherwise it becomes bitter.

The packing and lighting are easy, but it's better to rub it and leave it on the air for 10/15 minutes. No need to relight a lot. Another great job from G&H.