Dark cured cavendish. Cool, mild smoke with velvety smooth flavor.

Notes: Zimbabwe blended with Black Cavendish and mild Burley. (Zimbabwe: Virginia flue-cured, Burley and Oriental tobacco).

BrandNat Sherman
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringOther / Misc, Vanilla
Packaging50 grams tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild, Medium
2.3
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

What an extraordinary waste of a marvelous name on a perfectly mundane, utterly undistinguished Cavendish nothing!

580 Liberty is the only Sherman blend worth smoking, I still believe.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

God I hated this. I went out to purchase a tin of tobacco on The Fourth of July to no avail. Every single smoke shop in Southern California was closed, so I was forced to compromise at the local liquor store.

This was the first aromatic that I ever smoked and perhaps this is where my disgust originates. I opened the tin and the paper packaging was soaked in a dark brown syrup that seeped through. I immediately emptied the tin and found that the paper was stuck to the bottom.

After tearing it loose, I found that the can was oxidized clear through. I could smell the metal not from five inches away as the syrup had eaten away at the shiny finish. I immediately discarded the tin and stuck the tobacco in an old Nightcap tin.

It took a lengthy time lighting the thing and when I finally got it smoking all I could taste was the syrup. I even tried watering it down with some Haddo's Delight and after that some Early Morning Pipe, but it was a lost cause.

I wish I could throw this thing into the Grand Canyon. If future archaeologists found this tobacco as the sole artifact of our civilization, they would think we were a sorry bunch. Save the five bucks and buy yourself a yoyo or something.

Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Nat Sherman - 509 Blend.

Like a strong aromatic? Step this way!

I popped this open last night for an evening smoke, I must admit, I really enjoy it. The blend smells heavily cased, and it's jet black. The ribbons are a bit too moist, but nowhere near as sticky as the heavy aroma implies.

This is my kind of aromatic, ticks all of the boxes for what makes an enjoyable evening smoke: thick and heavy smoke, heap loads of sweet vanilla, some nutty nougat, cool in temperature, and a splendid burn. It's very indulgent!

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: very pleasant.

509? A brilliant evening smoke. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: One month

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Manhattan Twilight came to me years ago as a sample along with some Sherman proprietary cigars. Ledford Miller, an employee of the shop back in the '80s, was always helpful and since he knew that I was a pipe smoker, always included a Sherman sample. He knew I liked Vanilla flavoring on occasion, so, this was my gift. Not sure if Ledford is still around, but if he is, I sure hope he doesn't read TRC. His thoughtfulness in sending me this tobacco (at least, I think that's what it was), was appreciated, but not the half bowl I smoked before dumping the leaf into the nearest trash can. Hell itself could not have been hotter. Take some Vanilla extract, boil it in a pot of corn husks and you'll have a pretty good facsimile of Manhattan Twilight.

Pipestud

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Blend 509 Manhattan Twilight: this is straight Black Cavendish. Rich, fermented, toasted, flavored Black Cavendish. Too moist. It’s necessary to dry it. The flavoring is mainly Vanilla but I think there is also something else. Now the tobacco: this is a Virginia Black Cavendish. I mean that the main tobacco of this blend is Virginia. I think more than 90%. According to the manufacturer’s indications (Nat Sherman) there is also some Burley and a bit of Oriental tobacco because the base of this Black Cavendish is Zimbabwe (Virgina, Burley and Oriental) with mild Burley. Anyway what you can perceive (tongue, nose, mouth, palate) is above all Virginia. Now the taste. First of all I want to clarify that you can smoke this blend straight in your pipe but you can also use it as a blending tobacco (better). It is sweet and aromatic. If you are smoking a “boring” dull blend, this Black Cavendish is a really sweet seasoning. You can add a little bit of it to change the taste. But we have also to say that this B. Cavendish is strongly flavored and, in my opinion, the flavoring is above all with chemical additives and for this reason I advise people not to smoke it straight. If you want to taste it straight I advise to smoke it very slowly. If you are a nervous smoker this blend is not recommended at all (it leaves a bad taste and an unpleasant “drizzle” in the mouth). Finally in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 6 and two stars.

Purchased From: NAT SHERMAN INTERNATIONAL, Midtown East, 12 E 42nd St, New York, NY 10017

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This tobacco showed me what aromatics are: they are the liqueurs of the pipe world. This blend consists of a dark fired Cavendish soaked in a combination of syrup and alcohol, laden with vanilla and some maple flavors, and like a liqueur, should be taken after meals in small dosages.

That being said, "509 Blend" showed me why people enjoy aromatics. The tin note seals the deal: a fantastic blend of rising vanilla, maple, sugar and fermented tobacco scents. It lights easily and burns readily, as if soaked in accelerant. However, the flavor is gentle, without the rough edges of natural tobacco, and it feels more like a soft drink, marshmallow, after-dinner cordial or other treat than the rote process of an all-day smoke. In addition, the room smells fantastic, like people might want to eat it up and come back for more. During the bowl, you mostly taste the vanilla, followed by a flavor of Cavendish itself, which is like a very mellow sweetened Perique. As the bowl goes on, the maple burns off, which is fortunate because it is not necessary with the vanilla in this blend being so enjoyable, and the Cavendish and vanilla flavors merge into something sort of like a custard flavor. Then one sees the genius of soaking tobacco in goop: it burns nearly uniformly, down to a light amount of dottle and a thick grey ash.

You may poo-poo the aromatics if you want, but if I smoked one bowl a day and did not care about nicotine, I might choose this or another variant on this classic style. Then again, I started out with "Golden Burley," which was a vanilla smoked Cavendish mixture just like this one, and found that people enjoyed the scent in public and I liked the mellow, consistent burn and flavor. I can see why 90% of the smoking population enjoys these, having tasted a top-notch aromatic which preserves the smoking characteristics of the leaf. That being said, my own path leads in another direction, and I find myself cutting this blend with Cube Cut Burley on subsequent bowls. But I have found much to enjoy in it, and an understanding of what the majority of pipe smokers desire as a result.

Similar Blends: Blender's Gold - Golden Burley, Lane Limited - BCA.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This was the third Nat Sherman tin I purchased and the most bland out of all of them. A simple Black Cavendish that really soaked the paper inside the tin. Now Nat Sherman uses very high quality tobacco and very light PG (If any) but still managed to make a goopy / sticky BC mess with 509. Sure it smells amazing and tastes great when mixed but gee it could use about half the moisture it contains fresh. Vanilla Black Cav, the usual BCA / Captain Black Dark type blend, 2 stars just because it wasn't horrible but the worst of the Nat Sherman tins...

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classic, quality, vanilla aromatic. It is heavy cased/flavored blend. Very sweet. When I initially opened the tin it was close to goopy, but not quite goopy. The blend benefits form airing out as you repeatedly open the close the tin while smoking through it. However, it will always be wonderfully sticky when you pack a bowl. Much of the sweetness is from the black Cavendish itself which gives it the classic burnt-nutty undertone. Quality aromatic. Not exceptional from other standard, quality vanilla aromatics. I bought two tins, one is in my cellar. I usually smoke English/latakia and like a nice sweet aromatic like this, now and then, in the evenings. N.B. One of the new tins form South Carolina. I have a non-S.C. tin of 509 in my cellar from at least 2008. Saving that for my retirement.

Pipe Used: Peterson, kaywoodie, etc...

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Similar to lots of quality vanilla aromatics..

A step up from Capt. Black-white. No bad traits. A bit moist as received but dries quickly. Three and one-half star Aromatic.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Very Pleasant

A very good quality black cavendish. Very, very, very heavily cased and extremely moist. Lights well, smokes sweet, gunks up your pipe like no other.

High class captain black.