Dark cured cavendish. Cool, mild smoke with velvety smooth flavor.

BrandNat Sherman
2.7
zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

God I hated this. I went out to purchase a tin of tobacco on The Fourth of July to no avail. Every single smoke shop in Southern California was closed, so I was forced to compromise at the local liquor store.

This was the first aromatic that I ever smoked and perhaps this is where my disgust originates. I opened the tin and the paper packaging was soaked in a dark brown syrup that seeped through. I immediately emptied the tin and found that the paper was stuck to the bottom.

After tearing it loose, I found that the can was oxidized clear through. I could smell the metal not from five inches away as the syrup had eaten away at the shiny finish. I immediately discarded the tin and stuck the tobacco in an old Nightcap tin.

It took a lengthy time lighting the thing and when I finally got it smoking all I could taste was the syrup. I even tried watering it down with some Haddo's Delight and after that some Early Morning Pipe, but it was a lost cause.

I wish I could throw this thing into the Grand Canyon. If future archaeologists found this tobacco as the sole artifact of our civilization, they would think we were a sorry bunch. Save the five bucks and buy yourself a yoyo or something.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classic, quality, vanilla aromatic. It is heavy cased/flavored blend. Very sweet. When I initially opened the tin it was close to goopy, but not quite goopy. The blend benefits form airing out as you repeatedly open the close the tin while smoking through it. However, it will always be wonderfully sticky when you pack a bowl. Much of the sweetness is from the black Cavendish itself which gives it the classic burnt-nutty undertone. Quality aromatic. Not exceptional from other standard, quality vanilla aromatics. I bought two tins, one is in my cellar. I usually smoke English/latakia and like a nice sweet aromatic like this, now and then, in the evenings. N.B. One of the new tins form South Carolina. I have a non-S.C. tin of 509 in my cellar from at least 2008. Saving that for my retirement.

Pipe Used: Peterson, kaywoodie, etc...

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Similar to lots of quality vanilla aromatics..

Joanmabruma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joanmabruma (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

My niece has brought me 2oz. Of this mixture from NY. He looks like to me a magnificent cavendish. The critiques as for the flavor, can be for the packaging in tin. Very advisable.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

Tin: Strong, distinct and pleasant nougat/vanilla aroma, so heavily soaked in casing that the paper packaging is permeated with a dark brown syrup and even wets the inside of the lid. This is in an old-style tin, so it is probably old, but the casing on the paper and lid is still moist. Oddly, the dark black tobacco, more of a wide irregular ribbon, is not sticky and will not stay rolled in a ball. It has to be the world's record for casing.

Packing & Lighting: Packs easily, the tobacco having a soft, fluffy feel. Lights easily, burns well, without producing much moisture.

Taste & Aroma: A nice, soft nougat, tasting slightly burnt at the end. Unfortunately, a lot of the casing is left in the packaging. No where near as strong as the tin aroma.

Nicotine: moderately strong buzz that lingers

Room Note: decent, similar to aroma

Overall: I smoked drugstore aromatics for 26 years, Captain Black, mostly Golden, almost exclusively, for 18 of those years. One of the better aromatic(cased, flavored) blends I've smoked. Oddly enough, this aromatic blend would make a good transition to non-aromatics, in that 509 is tinned, good quality, no dottle, and has significant nicotine. In the context of an aromatic, 3.7 stars.

Longbottom_Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Longbottom_Leaf (1)

This is the first decent tobacco I've ever smoked as a new pipe smoker. I find it quite delightful, and look forward to smoking it each morning with my coffee. I've tried a few garbage pouch tobaccos before I decided to try this, and I am so glad that I did. I payed 10 dollars for a 2oz tin, which was sealed like fort nox by the way. It took a group of three of us to remove the lid off the the thing, but in the end I (the only smoker of the bunch) found the smoke quite enjoyable. Although it was quite moist I found it burned quite well throughout, and had absolutely no tongue bite. I will enjoy this tobacco for quite some time to come.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I'm headed for the same sideline zulujerk is on. Man, talk about some rank tobacco, this soot may just take the cake. Someone said it's a step up from Captain Black. No sir, it's three steps down.

I was going to add this to my pipe club's tobacco bar this month. After smoking a bowl I quickly determined that if I want to live a while longer, I'd better forget that thought in a hurry.

A step up from Capt. Black-white. No bad traits. A bit moist as received but dries quickly. Three and one-half star Aromatic.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This offering from Nat Sherman is a pleasant smoke. I tried it in various sizes and types of pipes and found that it behaved the same in all of them. I found it to be far too moist for my taste at first. After a good drying-out, I loaded it up and fired it off.

The casing seems to have diminished considerably in the drying. What was left was a light and ultra-cool smoke. There was not even the slightest hint that this tobacco would ever bite. Sufficiently dried, it lit easily and burned to the bottom without a fuss. It burned so cool in a thin-walled meerschaum that the bowl (in an air conditioned room) barely even got warm. You could easily smoke this all day long, though I suspect it would become boring fairly quickly as it is quite monochromatic. The slightly unpleasant aftertaste I often get from Black Cavendish simply wasn?t there. The room note was quite pleasant and light.

smokeasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeasaurus (3)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

my favorite smoke so far. very delicious and smooth. great for a relaxing pipefull on the porch with friends. goes great with port, beer, or just about anything else. highly recommend this smoke.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Occasionally I will try aromatics. I thought I would give this a try out of curiosity. This is very heavily cased and is not what I enjoy for the rare times that I go to an aromatic. My friend smokes this to turn his meerschaums and he says that it turns them quicker than any other blend he has ever smoked. Not my kind of smoke though.

PaganBoyNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaganBoyNC (8)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As someone who enjoys both aromatic and natural blends, I thought I'd give this one a try as a new "dessert" smoke and I was not disappointed.

509 smokes very cool and has a pleasant sweet taste to it. It is definitely a candy or dessert smoke rather than an all-day or any occassion smoke and while it is considerably stronger than many cased blends it is definitely not a high nicotine smoke.

This tobacco is very enjoyable for what it is, although it is certainly far too cased and simplistic to be my primary smoke I certainly enjoy it on some occassions and would purchase it again.

Brotherblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brotherblue (12)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant

This is a dark, rich cavendish with a wonderful tin aroma.

The description on the tin (see above) is right on. It is a very cool smoke--no tongue bite. It is indeed moist, but I was amazed how well it stayed lit for such a dark cavendish. I had previously tried some bulk dark cavendish, but had trouble keeping it lit; it was too syrupy. Now, straight out of the tin this isn't perfect; it doesn't stay lit as reliably as an uncased, or an English blend, but it holds its own. I let it dry out a bit, and that improved things greatly.

The flavor is warm, seductive nougat/vanilla-like marriage, though not overpowering. It is so unobtrusive that there is no ugly aftertaste after smoking it. The consistency is rich and smooth. The room aroma is sumptuous: sitting in another room, my wife and my buddy's pregnant wife both loved the aroma wafting its way from underneath the closed door of my buddy's library as we smoked away. That should be the mother of all room aroma endorsements.

I try to smoke it in the morning if I know I'm going to have a rough day because the after-smoke moustache aroma is as wonderful as the taste. The morning after smell is also pleasant, much like the aroma while its being smoked.

Great tin aroma, wonderful flavor and room aroma, including the day after, no tongue bite; this is a great tobacco.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (17)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Very Pleasant

A very good quality black cavendish. Very, very, very heavily cased and extremely moist. Lights well, smokes sweet, gunks up your pipe like no other.

High class captain black.